View Full Version : DeAngelo Williams is signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers

Cinnjerm3000
03-13-2015, 04:47 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/576477801919971328

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2015, 04:50 PM
James C Wexell retweeted
DeAngelo Williams @DeAngeloRB

Excited about signing with the @Steelers! Trust me when I say that I've got a LOT of gas left in the tank....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAATp4pWEAIgFEL.jpg:large

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
James C Wexell retweeted
DeAngelo Williams @DeAngeloRB

Excited about signing with the @Steelers! Trust me when I say that I've got a LOT of gas left in the tank....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAATp4pWEAIgFEL.jpg:large

Great pic, Hawaiian, thanks!

8467thekraken
03-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but this is a nice signing considering the ridiculous activity regarding Free Agency this off-season.

While health is a concern, he won't be asked to do a whole lot once Bell returns from his suspension.

My bet is that this signing pays dividends.

Welcome to the toughest division in football, DeAngelo.

7 UP
03-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Tires have no tread left. Not a fan of the signing. I just hope he stays healthy to play for the two suspension weeks.

Cinnjerm3000
03-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but this is a nice signing considering the ridiculous activity regarding Free Agency this off-season.

While health is a concern, he won't be asked to do a whole lot once Bell returns from his suspension.

My bet is that this signing pays dividends.

Welcome to the toughest division in football, DeAngelo.

#moneyball, #chessnotcheckers
...but yeah, I always find myself strangely envious of other teams this time of year (until the season starts and nearly none of these signings yield the desired outcome). I'm a fan of this signing in particular because it allows Colbert and company to truly focus exclusively on fixing our broken defense after having already ameliorated our biggest concern on offense.

flippy
03-13-2015, 06:07 PM
If he can stay healthy, DeAngelo is a fantastic back to compliment Bell. I enjoy watching the way he runs. If he's still got something in the tank, we got a steal. And I'm guessing we did with his injury problems last year.

8467thekraken
03-13-2015, 06:10 PM
#moneyball, #chessnotcheckers
...but yeah, I always find myself strangely envious of other teams this time of year (until the season starts and nearly none of these signings yield the desired outcome). I'm a fan of this signing in particular because it allows Colbert and company to truly focus exclusively on fixing our broken defense after having already ameliorated our biggest concern on offense.

...had to look up that word. And you all know the word I'm talking about.

Back it down a little, Einstein. Sheesh.

We're the drinking class, dude. C'mon.

:wink:

Ghost
03-13-2015, 06:11 PM
If he and Bell don't drive down McNight Rd smoking pot; this will be a great signing regardless of what else happens...

BradshawsHairdresser
03-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Is anyone else a little worried that Bell might corrupt him?

:D

feltdizz
03-13-2015, 08:39 PM
If he can stay healthy, DeAngelo is a fantastic back to compliment Bell. I enjoy watching the way he runs. If he's still got something in the tank, we got a steal. And I'm guessing we did with his injury problems last year.

He wasn't happy about the way he left Carolina. Hopefully he uses that to motivate him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Cinnjerm3000 View Post #moneyball, #chessnotcheckers ...but yeah, I always find myself strangely envious of other teams this time of year (until the season starts and nearly none of these signings yield the desired outcome). I'm a fan of this signing in particular because it allows Colbert and company to truly focus exclusively on fixing our broken defense after having already ameliorated our biggest concern on offense.
...had to look up that word. And you all know the word I'm talking about. Back it down a little, Einstein. Sheesh. We're the drinking class, dude. C'mon. :wink: Here, let me help: Ameliorated. verb, past tense. To crash into the Pacific and never be found. From "Earhart, Amelia".

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2015, 01:44 AM
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

DeAngelo Williams, meet six Lombardi Trophies. #Steelers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CABXSLAU0AESssJ.jpg:large

Oviedo
03-14-2015, 06:49 AM

I lile Williams' attitude...let's get #7

The Man of Steel
03-14-2015, 07:45 AM
A geriatric running back is exactly what this teams needs. :HeadBanger

Discipline of Steel
03-14-2015, 08:12 AM
I know hes got some skills but man, he looks skinny. The Un-Blount in every way.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-14-2015, 10:56 AM
I know hes got some skills but man, he looks skinny. The Un-Blount in every way.

No kidding! I can't imagine a photo of him standing next to Ben, or Foster!

I haven't looked at his highlights, maybe he's like Darren Sproles, or Dave Midget, or Warrick Dunn, a little scatfly that no-one can get a handle on.

Anyway, he's a Steeler now!:Clap:tt1:tt2

Shawn
03-14-2015, 11:20 AM
A geriatric running back is exactly what this teams needs. :HeadBanger My only concern is whether the Steelers use this as an excuse not to draft a RB in a deep running back draft. IMO, David Johnson is a top 3 back in this amazing class. He can be had in the third. Do the Steelers feel comfortable enough not to draft a young guy? Do they see Williams as a capable back up for the next few years?

Slapstick
03-14-2015, 11:41 AM
I don't think it matters whether or not this is an RB deep draft or not...if an RB is the value pick, then they will draft him and pit him against Josh Harris or whomever else is on the roster. Signing Williams is about attempting to eliminate "needs" as much as possible and instead focus on drafting the best players, regardless of position.

phillyesq
03-14-2015, 11:59 AM
I like everything I've seen about DeAngelo. Love the let's get #7 picture. He seems really happy to be in Pittsburgh. Blount always looked like he was just a step away from incarceration.

fordfixer
03-14-2015, 12:06 PM
I like everything I've seen about DeAngelo. Love the let's get #7 picture. He seems really happy to be in Pittsburgh. Blount always looked like he was just a step away from incarceration.

Well he was one step away from Bell getting incarcerated

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2015, 01:54 PM
No kidding! I can't imagine a photo of him standing next to Ben, or Foster!

I haven't looked at his highlights, maybe he's like Darren Sproles, or Dave Midget, or Warrick Dunn, a little scatfly that no-one can get a handle on.

Anyway, he's a Steeler now!:Clap:tt1:tt2

Dave Meggett prefers "little person." ;)

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2015, 02:35 PM
DeAngelo Williams has signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers after nine seasons with the Carolina Panthers.

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the second straight year, the Steelers signed a veteran halfback to play behind Le’Veon Bell. They hope this one sticks around longer.

DeAngelo Williams, who spent his first nine seasons in the NFL for the Carolina Panthers, signed a two-year contract today.

“I want to come in and help them be productive on offense,” Williams said. “Whether that means me coming off the bench, giving the offensive line water, making sure Ben Roethlisberger’s towel is dry so he can wipe his hands and throw the ball better – whatever it takes for us to win a Super Bowl, I’m willing and able to do it.”

The Steelers signed veteran LeGarrette Blount to back up Bell one year ago but Blount became dissatisfied with his playing time and quit on the team in a game at Tennessee last Nov. 17. The Steelers cut him the next day and he immediately signed with New England and won a Super Bowl ring.

The Carolina Panthers released Williams Tuesday with a June cut designation to save $2 million under their salary cap this season. He was to count $6.3 million under their cap in 2015 and they have halfback Jonathan Stewart who will count $8.3 million. One of them had to go.

Williams, who turns 32 next month, has a stocky, 5-9, 215-pound build and once ran the 40 in 4.4 seconds. The Panthers drafted him in the first round in 2006 from Memphis, where current Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner was on the offensive staff.

He rushed for 6,026 yards in four seasons at Memphis including over 1,900 in each of his final two seasons.

Williams rushed for 6,846 yards in nine seasons with Carolina, but injuries reduced him to just six games last season and his lowest production as a pro, 219 yards and a 3.5-yard average, the only time in his career he averaged fewer than 4.1 yards per carry. His season was cut short by a hamstring injury, high ankle sprain and broken hand.

“Trust me when I say that I’ve got a LOT of gas left in the tank,” Williams wrote on Twitter after he signed.

His best season came in 2008 when he rushed for 1,515 yards and a 5.5-yard average per carry with 18 touchdowns rushing and another two receiving on 22 catches. He followed that with 1,117 yards in 13 games in 2009.

Before his injury-pocked 2014 season, he rushed for 843 yards (4.2 average) in 15 games – all starts – in 2013 and caught 26 passes for another 333 yards.

He and Stewart have shared the backfield position for the past seven seasons in Carolina. They became one of only six duos to rush for 1,000 yards in the same season when they both did so in 2009, the most recent teammates to accomplish that. Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier each rushed for 1,000 yards for the 1976 Steelers, the second duo to do so.

Williams wore No. 34 with Carolina and that number is available with the Steelers.

•••

Kelvin Beachum earned an additional $297,687 in performance based pay for the 2014 season, the NFL announced Friday. That is the seventh-highest among all NFL players and more than half of his $570,000 salary last season. The PBP compensated players for playing time based on their salary levels. It is given basically to those who have outplayed their rookie contracts. Beachum, a seventh-round draft choice in 2012, enters the final year of his contract, and the Steelers are likely to try to negotiate a longer one.

NFL players will receive $116 million in performance based pay for 2014.

squidkid
03-14-2015, 02:56 PM

looks to me like the dude cant count

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Here, let me help: Ameliorated. verb, past tense. To crash into the Pacific and never be found. From "Earhart, Amelia".

Come on dude, that was 1937...still too soon. :p

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-14-2015, 03:06 PM

He is showing us which one he will be a part of.

Flasteel
03-15-2015, 09:47 AM

Further evidence your brain is hardwired to hate. What rational person doesn't understand he is talking about the next trophy he wants to help bring to the franchise? You and your hater-gene on the other hand, immediately jump to the conclusion that he has yet to master the art of counting to six.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://4affdbca-a3bc-454a-bc76-7cb965638929/imagejpeg

feltdizz
03-15-2015, 09:52 AM

the hate has rendered you stupid

Discipline of Steel
03-15-2015, 09:59 AM

Are you saying squidkid is fishwhacked?

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 10:37 AM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/52682131.jpg

flippy
03-15-2015, 10:53 AM
“I want to come in and help them be productive on offense,” Williams said. “Whether that means me coming off the bench, giving the offensive line water, making sure Ben Roethlisberger’s towel is dry so he can wipe his hands and throw the ball better – whatever it takes for us to win a Super Bowl, I’m willing and able to do it.”

I've always wanted DW as a Steeler. I love his attitude. He was always meant to be in Pittsburgh. What a complete contrast to Blount. I half wonder if they signed him just to be a positive influence on Bell.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-15-2015, 11:50 AM
OK, sorry, serious question here ... does he have good hands out of the backfield? ... or will the playbook have to slimmed down when he lines up instead of Bell?

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 02:54 PM
He averaged about 20 catches per season as a Panther. He should be able to handle a couple of screens or swing passes from Ben when he is filling in for a suspended Bell.

squidkid
03-15-2015, 03:51 PM

fine, what's your excuse?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-15-2015, 04:32 PM
He averaged about 20 catches per season as a Panther. He should be able to handle a couple of screens or swing passes from Ben when he is filling in for a suspended Bell. That's great. I think it was the threat of Bell with big YAC that helped keep Ben upright this year, and helped his stats in the process. If the opposing D knows they can't ignore DW as at least a similar threat, that's good for Ben too!

feltdizz
03-15-2015, 08:13 PM
fine, what's your excuse?
LOL.. good comeback

squidkid
03-15-2015, 08:19 PM
LOL.. good comeback

thanks, it was kinda clever

steelblood
03-15-2015, 10:13 PM
He looks 5'8, 195 pounds. I think he shrunk. He better still have some quickness with that frame.

Discipline of Steel
03-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Gawd, if Bellcow goes down, i will be SMP that Williams will soon follow.
IDK, maybe i just like the bruisers at RB....

ikestops85
03-16-2015, 01:38 PM
It does give cause for concern when your coach and GM look to be twice the size of your big FA signing. :)

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Tomlin: Offense could lead NFL in '15

Updated: March 24, 2015
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- The Pittsburgh Steelers finished second in the NFL in total offense last season and seventh in scoring and coach Mike Tomlin said he expects the unit to do even better in 2015.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0923/espn_u_tomlinto_300x300.jpg

Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers could raise the bar even higher after finishing second in the league in total offense last season.

"My expectation is they're capable of being the very best because we've got the goods," Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings. "We've got guys that are capable, we've got guys that know what they're doing, we've got guys that played together for an extended period of time now so that's a reasonable expectation."

Indeed it is after the Steelers averaged 411.1 yards and 27.3 points per game last season on the way to their first AFC North title since 2010. The Steelers return every starter on offense and have arguably the NFL's best quarterback-running back-wide receiver trio in Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown.

Bell, who finished second in the NFL with 1,361 rushing yards last season, is expected to miss the first two games of 2015 for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

But running back DeAngelo Williams is the one outside free agent that the Steelers have signed. And Tomlin said Williams, the Carolina Panthers' all-time leading rusher, still has plenty of burst even though his 32nd birthday is approaching.

"Obviously the acquisition of DeAngelo Williams helps us in that regard," Tomlin said of the expected loss of Bell for the start of the 2015 season, "but it goes beyond that. We needed fortified depth at the running back position and he definitely fits the bill."

One trap the Steelers have to avoid falling into is assuming the offense will get better just because they are loaded at the skill positions and have an experienced but relatively young offensive line.

"You think we had a good season it's going to happen every year. That's not the case," left guard Ramon Foster said after the 2014 season. "It's going to be the leaders that have to let (younger players) understand that they can't get complacent. We have to work to get better."

Tomlin agreed.

"I've just got a great deal of respect for the process and building it," Tomlin said Tuesday at the media breakfast for AFC coaches, "so I look forward to each day and each and every opportunity to enhance what we are."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12551006/mike-tomlin-says-pittsburgh-steelers-field-nfl-best-offense-2015

Slapstick
03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
What does the DeAngelo Williams signing say about Le'Veon Bell?!?

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2015, 02:34 PM

that Bell got busted smoking weed while driving and is probably going to miss the first 2 games of the season?

Shawn
03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
What does the DeAngelo Williams signing say about Le'Veon Bell?!? That Bell is a bust. Fire LeBeau and switch to the 4-3!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Tomlin: Offense could lead NFL in '15

Updated: March 24, 2015
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- The Pittsburgh Steelers finished second in the NFL in total offense last season and seventh in scoring ...

... The Steelers averaged 411.1 yards and 27.3 points per game last season on the way to their first AFC North title since 2010. ...

Just crazy good luck, of the blind-squirrel-finds-nut variety.

HAVE TO fire Haley now, while his perceived value is up!!! Before it's too late and he drags us down next year!!!!!!

Oviedo
03-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Fire LeBeau and switch to the 4-3!

Got that half right so far. Just need to do the latter;);)

Shawn
03-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Got that half right so far. Just need to do the latter;);) How did you know I was poking you? ;)

7 UP
03-24-2015, 03:34 PM

That Bell had better stay healthy because DeAngelo wont

Discipline of Steel
03-24-2015, 04:40 PM
That we are in the exact same position as last year in regards to RBs. If Bellcow goes down, theres a chance we could have a phantom backup and be left with nothing come the playoffs.

7 UP
03-24-2015, 04:48 PM
That we are in the exact same position as last year in regards to RBs. If Bellcow goes down, theres a chance we could have a phantom backup and be left with nothing come the playoffs.

They almost have to draft a back in the mid rounds IMO.

Slapstick
03-24-2015, 04:49 PM
DeAngelo Williams deal speaks volumes about Le'Veon Bell.

Slapstick
03-24-2015, 04:51 PM
That Bell had better stay healthy because DeAngelo wont

Williams was hurt last season, but played in 47 of 48 games in the three years prior...

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2015, 04:52 PM
DeAngelo Williams deal speaks volumes about Le'Veon Bell.

it does.

but not as much as it does about Jarvis Jones...

7 UP
03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Williams was hurt last season, but played in 47 of 48 games in the three years prior...

DW is a warrior. The only problem is when hes not out injured, hes usually playing injured. Hes plays through a lot to his credit. But with almost ten years in the league I hope he can get through the season healthy.

feltdizz
03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Is he hurt already?

squidkid
03-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Is he hurt already?

doesnt matter. he is still the steal of the FA period
of course if any other team signed him, he would be an old injury prone waste of money...

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2015, 02:22 AM

DeAngelo Williams is far and away the best FA signed by the Steelers this off-season from another team...;)

BradshawsHairdresser
03-25-2015, 08:44 AM
DeAngelo Williams signing speaks volumes about Legarette Blount...

feltdizz
03-25-2015, 08:57 AM
of course if any other team signed him, he would be an old injury prone waste of money...

This is true because you said we said it when we didn't say it but since you said we did, it must be true.

It's crazy how fans of a team cheer for the players they sign. Just crazy.

Slapstick
03-25-2015, 10:13 AM
This is true because you said we said it when we didn't say it but since you said we did, it must be true.

It's crazy how fans of a team cheer for the players they sign. Just crazy.

Well done. But, it will fall upon deaf ears and you will probably be accused of lying. Or hiding. Or something else that isn't true.

squidkid
03-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Well done. But, it will fall upon deaf ears and you will probably be accused of lying. Or hiding. Or something else that isn't true.

kettle, meet pot..............lol

Slapstick
03-25-2015, 10:48 AM
See what I mean?

Although, it is appreciated when other posters prove the point I made...

Jooser
03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Tomlin's take on the signing....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481319/article/tomlin-deangelo-williams-a-good-sub-if-bell-banned

Tomlin: DeAngelo Williams a good sub if Bell banned

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: March 25, 2015 at 09:37 a.m. Updated: March 25, 2015 at 10:22 a.m.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers signed running back DeAngelo Williams, it was viewed mostly as a depth signing of a low-priced veteran.

After watching the running game wither without Le'Veon Bell in the playoffs last season, Williams' addition might be more important early for the Steelers if Bell is suspended for the start of the NFL season.

"We will wait to hear what happens from a league level in regards to that," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting, referring to Bell's possible suspension, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "But, obviously, we will be prepared to move on without him for whatever time is necessary. The acquisition of Williams helps us in that regard."

Williams missed 10 games in 2014 due to injury, but he has the pedigree to take over the starting role early in the season if Bell misses any time. When Bell returns, Williams is likely return to a complementary role.

"We needed to fortify depth at the running back position," Tomlin said. "He definitely fits the bill."

Bell was arrested on marijuana possession and DUI charges in August. Last month the running back was given 15 months probation and was admitted to a program for first-time offenders as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors. Generally the NFL views those plea agreements as guilty verdicts under the substance-abuse policy, which could lead to a two-game suspension.

The NFL has yet to announce any penalty for Bell, but the Steelers handcuffed their backfield for such a future. Fantasy football players will likely need to do the same.

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Asked and Answered: May 21

Posted May 21, 2015

Bob Labriola Steelers.com

Another installment of Bob Labriola answering your questions about the Steelers and the NFL.

Let’s get to it:

MARK BIERCE FROM VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Last year we put all of "our eggs in one basket" in the fact that we had no backup running back for Le’Veon Bell. If he were to get hurt again this year, what is Plan B for the Steelers?

OK, even though re-answering questions violates official Asked and Answered policy, I’m going to make an exception here, quite frankly because the assumption you make as part of your question honks me off. On March 28, 2014, the Steelers signed veteran LeGarrette Blount with the idea he would serve as a complementary back to Le’Veon Bell. Blount was more of a straight-ahead power runner, which offered a contrast to Bell’s pick-a-hole style. Blount was a veteran. He had averaged 5.0 per carry the previous season. He was durable. LeGarrette Blount also quit on the Steelers when he walked off the field before the end of a game in Tennessee on Nov. 17 as a protest for not getting any carries. That’s what left the Steelers in the lurch for the final five games of the regular season. In 2014, the Steelers had a backup plan, but they didn’t have was a plan for the backup turning into a quitter. In 2015, the Steelers signed DeAngelo Williams to be Bell’s backup, and what I feel comfortable saying definitively right now is Williams is no quitter. DeAngelo Williams is Plan B.

RASMUS MILLER FROM COPENHAGEN, DENMARK:
What happens if DeAngelo Williams is killing it in Le’Veon Bell's absence? You think Williams then will take away from what would have been Bell's carries? Further, do you see Williams scoring more touchdowns than Bell? Something in my gut tells me Williams could kill it on red zone carries. Is it just me?

To reiterate a portion of the previous answer, DeAngelo Williams was signed to be Le’Veon Bell’s backup. They are not co-starters. They are not equals. Whenever Bell is available, the job is his, because he’s the better player. As for the red zone, I’m not dismissing Williams’ ability to gain the tough yards, but Bell is a multi-skilled red zone threat in that he also is a skilled receiver. I think this tandem can be special, but it’s a partnership where there is a clear No. 1.

BRANDON LATTANZI FROM STRATFORD, CT:
I keep reading here about how Steve McLendon isn't getting the job done. If people take the time they spent complaining and used it instead to actually watch video of the guy they would see that he, for the most part, is getting the job done. No, he's not Casey Hampton, but Casey Hampton wasn’t Casey Hampton at the end of his career, either. My hope is McLendon can play a full year without injury, because I think with Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt we could have a pretty formidable front three, not one that just eats up blocks, but also makes plays. What are your thoughts on our ‘new’ front three?

This will be the most athletic three-man defensive line unit the Steelers have put on the field in quite a while. It also will be the youngest, and there’s usually a correlation there. Heyward tied for the team lead in sacks, and a defensive lineman hadn’t done that since Aaron Smith actually led the team in sacks in 2004. And for me, what I believe can become a signature Tuitt-type play was the one against Kansas City where he turned and chased the ball after it was thrown to running back Jamaal Charles and then blasted him from the blind side to force a fumble. I believe this Steelers defensive line has some potential, but it now has to realize that potential and turn it into production.

BOB SPINELLI FROM KIMBERTON, PA:
Teams are coming up with different looks for their uniforms every year – keeping the same colors, but switching some things around with jerseys, pants, etc. I like the Steelers’ uniforms and admire the traditions, but is there any talk (or chance) of the Steelers going with black pants (sometimes) while wearing their black jerseys? I think that look would be great, especially against the Ravens in a night game at Heinz Field.

Sorry, but I don’t share your enthusiasm for an alternate look to the basic black-and-gold uniform. Yes, there are teams that have gone that route, but none of those are the teams I would refer to as the NFL’s flagship franchises – the New York Giants, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers. Switching uniforms is a gimmicky thing to me, with the possible exception of the occasional use of a throwback uniform. But that’s only my opinion, and my opinion matters not in something like this.

SKYE CHRISTY FROM BUTLER, PA:
How many years did Terry Bradshaw play for the Steelers?

Fourteen seasons, from 1970-83.

RAFAEL OMANA FROM MEXICO CITY, MEXICO:
Is it possible to have a Super Bowl at Heinz Field?

Hosting a Super Bowl is more about an entire metropolitan area, instead of just about a stadium. That said, I believe there would have to be more work done on Heinz Field, in terms of seating capacity, and in the metropolitan area, in terms of available hotel rooms, before a Super Bowl could be held in Pittsburgh. Heinz Field will debut its new South Plaza seating for the 2015 season, and it’ll be interesting to see how that impacts capacity. It’s not impossible, but it’s also not something that’s on the immediate horizon.

KELLY GOSS FROM PITTSBURGH, PA:
What numbers do the rookies get to choose from, and do the get to choose from Nos. 43 or 24?

The NFL has rules about which numbers players are permitted to wear based on the positions they play. After that, rookies have to see what’s available on their new teams within those parameters. Rookie cornerback Doran Grant was issued No. 24, but no one has No. 43. No one has No. 99 yet, either. The jersey numbers that have been in long-time storage are Nos. 12, 32, 52, 58, 59. Also, no one has been issued No. 36 since Jerome Bettis retired after Super Bowl XL. Joe Greene’s No. 75 was retired officially last year, and Ernie Stautner’s No. 70 was retired in the 1960s.

RAYMOND GATTER FROM SAN ANTONIO, TX:
In the vein of some of the recent positional change questions, Joe Namath looked good on TV recently. Will the Steelers pick him up and convert him to cornerback or linebacker? Lol.

Don’t laugh too loud, at least not until you read the next question.

ED SCOTT FROM HEREFORD, AZ:
From what I have read Darrius Heyward-Bey has been working hard to provide value to the team but not having a lot of success as a receiver. Would it be a huge step for him to transfer to the defensive side of the ball, especially since we are still weak at cornerback?

See what I mean?

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-1/Asked-and-Answered-May-21/0e14d47f-3485-411b-9502-90449270fe3c

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Williams: 'It felt great putting the helmet on'

Posted 52 minutes ago

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

Running back DeAngelo Williams is fitting in perfectly with his new team.

Football was finally in full swing on Tuesday at the Steelers practice facility, well, at least football in shorts.

The team took part in their first OTA session of 2015, and for running back DeAngelo Williams it was the first time putting on the No. 34 practice jersey and actually getting to work in a football setting with his teammates after over a month of conditioning drills.

“It felt great putting the helmet on again, putting the mouthpiece in and getting the opportunity to mix it up with a new team,” said Williams. “I really appreciate the opportunity. It’s a different team, the same cast of characters. We all come in striving for one goal, to win a championship. Everybody is putting forth that effort.”

The last few weeks Williams has been putting in the effort to learn the team’s playbook, something he wanted to be familiar with when OTAs started, and comfortable with when they come to a close in a few weeks.

“I have been in it for a month and half now so I am pretty good at it right now in terms of picking up what they install day in and day out,” said Williams. “I think I am going along fine.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger agreed. Tuesday was the first time the two worked together on the field, and Roethlisberger was impressed with Williams’ knowledge.

“We broke the huddle a couple of times today and I checked are you good,” said Roethlisberger, who got a positive response from Williams. “I told him when we break the huddle if you have any issues ask me, and he hasn’t so far. It was the first day and we haven’t installed everything, but I thought he did a great job and I was impressed with his knowledge of the offense so far.”

Williams, who spent the first nine years of his career with the Carolina Panthers, was brought in to be a veteran backup in the ground game that is led by Le’Veon Bell and the two are already working well together.

“We started talking after he was signed,” said Bell. “He is a great guy. Really talkative. Really outgoing. He fits into the running back room perfectly.”

Williams has been at the team’s practice facility since day one of the offseason workouts, putting in his time during Phase One and Phase Two before OTAs began. It’s all in an effort to make sure he is ready when called upon, whenever that might be.

“I am happy we have a guy that can be a weapon for us hopefully all year and give Le’Veon some spells when he needs a breather,” said Roethlisberger. “He is a veteran back who has been doing it for a long time.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Williams-It-felt-great-putting-the-helmet-on/0a64a3f4-f2c6-4fdf-8ae8-a74a06c999a8

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-26-2015, 05:41 PM
I am STOKED!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Getting To Know: DeAngelo Williams

Posted Jun 22, 2015

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

Learn more about the Steelers' 10th year running back.

DeAngelo Williams
Running Back
5-9, 215
Memphis
10th Year

Who is your football mentor or inspiration?
I have two of them. When I was in college I looked up to Ricky Williams, hence the No. 34. Some people think it was the dreadlocks. It wasn’t because of that. I just don’t like going every week to get my hair cut. That is why I have locks. Jerry Rice is the other because his work ethic on the field was second to none and a guy I wanted to model my work ethic after.

What motivates you?
I don’t like losing. I really dislike losing. I dislike losing more than I like winning if that makes any sense. That motivates me outside of my family, and close friends and doing it for the guy that is next to me as well, and seeing the smile on his face after a win and being excited in the locker room after a win with the guys you go to battle with.

What is your football mindset?
My mindset is I want to go out and play winning football. I don’t want to just play football, I want to play winning football. If that means blocking a guy or carrying a guy on a route, whatever it takes to win the game I want to go out and do it.

Why do you play football?
Because it’s fun and I have a passion for this game. I love it. Everything you find in football, you can find in life. If you can understand the game of football and can compete and win at this level, you can win in life.

What is your proudest football moment or memory?
Having my kids is my proudest moment. As far as football, if you get satisfied with having a proud moment up until now, that means you are satisfied with not making any more.

What teammate has made the biggest impression on you?
It would be Travelle Wharton, a left guard in Carolina, who played college ball at South Carolina. I was on injured reserve the year I had a lisfranc injury in my foot and whenever you get hurt or are on injured reserve, you become a zombie in the locker room. You no longer have a common interest as the others guys do if you go out and somebody makes a play, and you only see it on film, hear the guys talking about it, but you weren’t a part of it. He sat down and talked to me and showed me the little nuances of the game and the business side. I was thankful for that because it’s gotten me where I am today and that is with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When you hear Steelers football, what do you think?
Six Super Bowl championships on the way to seven.

What do you like about Pittsburgh so far?
I love the atmosphere. I love Coach (Mike) Tomlin. I love the work ethic of all of the guys. All of the guys on the offensive line, I love the relationship and brotherhood I have developed with these guys already and I know it’s going to be something special this year.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Getting-To-Know-DeAngelo-Williams/cfe1ec34-a10d-4457-a48a-c9e5b5a6a84f

The Man of Steel
06-25-2015, 06:31 AM
I didn't know until I did some research on DeAngelo Williams that he was one of the most prolific running backs in college football history. He's still the NCAA's 4th leading rusher in career yards just behind Tony Dorsett. I used to think he was just some nobody but apparently he had solid credentials coming out of college.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2015, 10:08 AM
I didn't know until I did some research on DeAngelo Williams that he was one of the most prolific running backs in college football history. He's still the NCAA's 4th leading rusher in career yards just behind Tony Dorsett. I used to think he was just some nobody but apparently he had solid credentials coming out of college.

Our current QB coach Randy Fichtner was the O.C. at Memphis when DeAngelo was a domiant force in his spread offense.