PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Williams Visiting Friday

SidSmythe
03-11-2015, 10:44 AM
According to Steelers Depot DeAngelo Williams is visiting Pittsburgh Friday.

pfelix73
03-11-2015, 10:53 AM
According to Steelers Depot DeAngelo Williams is visiting Pittsburgh Friday.

I just read somewhere that he's in today (Wed.) ?

SidSmythe
03-11-2015, 10:58 AM
I just read somewhere that he's in today (Wed.) ?

Either way I don't like him. He's too soft.
If he could stay healthy he'd be a great fit here.

pfelix73
03-11-2015, 11:01 AM
My mistake. It is Friday.... He was great in college.....A long time ago...

Rara
03-11-2015, 11:20 AM
One target I'm hoping for. Just hoping he toughens up.

birtikidis
03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I was actually hoping for Ryan Matthews. He's a tough runner but gets nicked up too easily also. Oh well. Bell is #1, everything behind him needs to be committee.

SteelBucks
03-11-2015, 11:41 AM
He's 32, which is a concern, but he may be a good fit. He should be able to carry the load if Bell is suspended to start the season and would complement Bell nicely when he returns.

hausparty
03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
absolutely HORRIBLE!

Slapstick
03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Wasn't he at Memphis when Fichtner was OC?

Discipline of Steel
03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
not fired up about it

steelblood
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
He dealt with injuries last season, but when he did play....he was terrible.

hausparty
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
I'd rather keep Tate!

hausparty
03-11-2015, 11:59 AM
I said it before and i'll say it again and again. Our OL while improving isn't built for this type of runner!
Gone are the days of a lead back as well.

Our Offense shines with the ability to go 1 back set that keeps the LB's back in fear of a the dump off pass as well as the run! You bring in a bigger back you will get the 8 in the box everytime and we will get STUFFED! EVERYTIME!
Shoot the Seahawks feared running the ball with Lynch in the SB because of this very concept!

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 12:08 PM
I said it before and i'll say it again and again. Our OL while improving isn't built for this type of runner!

Our Offense shines with the ability to go 1 back set that keeps the LB's back in fear of a the dump off pass as well as the run! You bring in a bigger back you will get the 8 in the box everytime and we will get STUFFED! EVERYTIME!
Shoot the Seahawks feared running the ball with Lynch in the SB because of this very concept!

Williams used to be a monster with the dump offs...

injury is a concern but he has decent hands...

K Train
03-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Id prefer Bush or just drafting Yeldon/Cobb/Williams in the mid rounds

Snatch98
03-11-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm surprised more people aren't okay with this as he's not going to be tasked to carry the load but has the experience to do so if he's called. He was also in a weird situation IMO in Carolina with both he and Stewart. Injuries and just team inconsistencies certainly didn't give him the opportunity to excel. He can catch and he just needs to protect the football and give bell a breather here and there. We don't need the second coming of Curtis martin and I don't think we should invest in a rb in the draft before round 4.

Snatch98
03-11-2015, 12:40 PM

We aren't talking about a starter here and he has good hands. You are also ridiculously off base with lynch. I don't care if 4 of the best linebackers in the league are lined up in the gialine in the super bowl. You give the damn ball to Lynch and he's pretty likely to score from that distance. Carroll sh.it the bed.

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 12:48 PM
I'd rather keep Tate!

Tate is a headcase. Not sure he wouldn't be another Blount

papillon
03-11-2015, 12:55 PM
absolutely HORRIBLE!

Reggie Bush isn't the only running back available in FA this year. :)

Pappy

Shawn
03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
This draft is thick with talent. Go to the draft.

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Wasn't he at Memphis when Fichtner was OC?

Yup...prior to coming to the Steelers, Randy Fichtner was at Memphis from 2001-2006, and prior to coming to the Carolina Panthers, DeAngelo Williams was at Memphis from 2002-2005. With Fichtner calling the plays, DeAngelo rushed for over 6000 yards (over 6 yards a carry) with 55 rushing TD's and also had 70 catches for over 700 yards receiving and another 5 TD's through the air.

phillyesq
03-11-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised more people aren't okay with this as he's not going to be tasked to carry the load but has the experience to do so if he's called. He was also in a weird situation IMO in Carolina with both he and Stewart. Injuries and just team inconsistencies certainly didn't give him the opportunity to excel. He can catch and he just needs to protect the football and give bell a breather here and there. We don't need the second coming of Curtis martin and I don't think we should invest in a rb in the draft before round 4.

He has the experience and skill set, but he is 32. You just don't see many 32 year old running backs.

Slapstick
03-11-2015, 02:33 PM
He has the experience and skill set, but he is 32. You just don't see many 32 year old running backs.

Hopefully, if he signs with the Steelers, he won't be getting a lot of carries after week 2...

SidSmythe
03-11-2015, 02:54 PM
I'd rather have a TOUGH RB that's less talented than Williams. They're easier to find than any other position.

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Hopefully, if he signs with the Steelers, he won't be getting a lot of carries after week 2...

Hopefully he doesn't get a lot, but hopefully he doesn't become a ghost like Blount and we save Bell for the play offs

SteelerOfDeVille
03-11-2015, 03:04 PM
That's the problem... From ages 23-27, he was a pro-bowl caliber back, one of the 5 best in the league... nearly a decade later, he's a shell of the guy he once was - you could say the same about MJD and a number of other guys.

K Train
03-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Just for perspective he came into the league the same year as Laurence Maroney, Lendale White, MJD...

And Reggie Bush but hes younger than all of them and has never been a work horse (plus it doesnt support my argument above)

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2015, 04:05 PM
5 reasons DeAngelo Williams is a perfect fit for the Steelers

By steelersfrance on Mar 12, 2015

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/6cAP1yix_Ngt3taucL0CgacGHhw=/0x11:4408x2950/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45877898/usa-today-8310031.0.jpg

DeAngelo Williams will be visiting the Steelers tomorrow. The team was on the lookout for a backup to Le’Veon Bell after releasing LeGarrette Blount with 5 games to go in the regular season last year, and the former Panther is the first running back to be linked to the Steelers this offseason. There is no need to look any further, and this is why:

Last season showed the need for a reliable backup RB

When Le’Veon Bell went down in week 17 against the Bengals last season, Steelers fans were holding their breath. Not only was Steeler Nation worried about the health of their newly-elevated star running back, fans also had no idea about who would be carrying the ball out of the backfield in the playoffs if Bell was to miss the match against the Ravens. When the team released LeGarrette Blount after he left the sideline before the end of the Titans game, the organization decided not to bring in someone else and to instead sign Josh Harris from the practice squad. The coaching staff probably felt comfortable riding Le’Veon Bell "until the wheels come off," as Mike Tomlin likes to stay. What they did not expect was for those wheels to come off only 5 weeks later, at the dawn of the playoffs. Ben Tate was brought in as a temporary solution, but didn't do enough to prevent the lack of a reliable running back rom proving extremely costly during wild card weekend.

Someone in the organization had to realize that the same mistake could not be made twice, and that the Steelers need to bring in a reliable backup to Bell. DeAngelo Williams is the all-time leading rusher for the Panthers, and has nothing left to prove. At age 32, he probably can’t take the same amount of carries he used to in his earlier years, but he can definitely make a heck of a number 2 option.

Bell will be suspended for 2 to 4 games

The Steelers may not have planned on having to deal without Le’Veon Bell last season, but at least they know that they'll have to do just that in 2015. Bell is facing a potential four-game suspension after being charged with a DUI last year, although most reports suggest that the suspension will likely only last two games. Whatever the number of games missed, the Steelers need someone to step in and provide a credible option while Bell remains sidelined. No one could realistically be asked to put up the kind of numbers the former Michigan State Spartan puts up on a regular basis; the backup would only need to attract enough attention from the defense to open up the passing game and leave the result up to Ben’s arm and Antonio Brown’s talent. Whether he starts for two, three or four games, DeAngelo Williams can provide that.

Le’Veon Bell is still young and needs guidance

Ideally, the role of veteran players in the NFL as they get older goes beyond being a reliable backup. They should also provide guidance for the younger players, and that's exactly what the Steelers are looking for in this case. Considering his production last season, it is easy to forget that Le’Veon Bell will only be entering his 3rd NFL season and that he only just turned 23. Bell is already one of the best backs in the league, but he still has to learn in order to get to the top and behave like an NFL superstar. DeAngelo Williams has been in the league for 9 years, and by all accounts is a model citizen and locker room leader.

Steelers want to stay away from off-field trouble

After LeGarrette Blount was involved in last year’s incident that will result in a suspension for the star running back this year, the Steelers probably feel that Bell needs some guidance or at least no distraction from his backup, and DeAngelo Williams is right at home among the classiest players in the NFL. While Blount is known for his fights, punches and marijuana arrests, Williams has been highly involved in raising awareness on breast cancer, his family having been severely impacted by the disease. Williams is very active on social media, but only to share the importance of raising his little girl as best he can. With DeAngelo Williams around, Le’Veon Bell is less likely to repeat the mistake he made last year.

DeAngelo won’t pull a Blount if he gets zero touches

Dealing with backup players is not easy, as they tend to want more playing time and be more involved on game days. This was perfectly illustrated by LeGarrette Blount getting frustrated in week 11 after seeing Le’Veon Bell getting 30+ touches, while he did not get to carry the ball a single time. Blount left the sideline, and we all know how that story ended.

Actions like that will not be an issue with DeAngelo Williams, as he has been sharing the Carolina backfield with Jonathan Stewart since 2008. At that time, Williams was at the high point of his career, but was not offended by the Carolina Panthers bringing in another running back in the first round of the 2008 draft. Instead, he embraced the excitement around his new partnership with the former Oregon back. Fullback Mike Tolbert was also in the mix and received a healthy amount of touches, particularly near the goal line. Yet, Williams showed no sign of frustration and there is no reason for him to act any differently in Pittsburgh.

Steeler Nation, if Williams signs a contract with the Steelers on Friday, you have every reason to be excited.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015/3/11/8194689/5-reasons-why-deangelo-williams-is-the-perfect-fit-for-the-steelers

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2015, 04:52 PM
i actually agree with all of this... except the "reliable backup" part... his injuries over the years concern me... But, DeAngelo seems like a good dude. Him and MJD used to crack me up - they had a fun rivalry

Shoe
03-12-2015, 06:20 PM
The "toughness" thing is overrated. The guy is tough, to survive 10 years in the league. He may not be durable, but that isn't the same thing. In either case, he doesn't need to be "tough" or durable (i.e. handle a heavy workload). He just needs to step up and be able to play 4 games at the start of the season, and spell Bell if needed during the season. And he needs to be able to do it dependably (i.e. pass-block). I would expect him to be fine with that.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2015, 06:33 PM
The "toughness" thing is overrated. The guy is tough, to survive 10 years in the league. He may not be durable, but that isn't the same thing. In either case, he doesn't need to be "tough" or durable (i.e. handle a heavy workload). He just needs to step up and be able to play 4 games at the start of the season, and spell Bell if needed during the season. And he needs to be able to do it dependably (i.e. pass-block). I would expect him to be fine with that.

I do too and I fully expect the Steelers to sign him...

Rara
03-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Williams will be a good signing..IF they sign him. I'm more worried about Patrick Robinson ever getting to Pittsburgh and signing with them since he has other teams going after him too.

squidkid
03-12-2015, 08:48 PM
i fully expect the steelers to sign him
whats everybody's guess on contract numbers?

2 years, 2.8 million

Rara
03-12-2015, 08:51 PM
1 year, $2mm

Shawn
03-13-2015, 06:30 AM
That's the problem... From ages 23-27, he was a pro-bowl caliber back, one of the 5 best in the league... nearly a decade later, he's a shell of the guy he once was - you could say the same about MJD and a number of other guys. Which is the reason I don't expect more than a 3 year contract for Bell when he re-ups. And another reason to grab a running back somewhere in this draft.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Report: Steelers expected to sign RB DeAngelo Williams
by Jason Butt | CBSSports.com

(3:17 pm ET) The Steelers are expected to sign running back DeAngelo Williams to their roster, according to a report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The only reason a deal hasn't been signed yet is because coach Mike Tomlin is attending Ohio State's pro day and hasn't been able to chat with Williams.

After nine seasons with the Panthers, Williams was cut early this offseason. With Carolina, he carried the ball 1,432 times for 6,846 yards and 46 touchdowns. His best years came in 2008 and 2009, the only times he ran for over 1,000 yards in a single season.

Williams ran for 1,515 yards and 18 touchdowns in 2008. Injuries limited Williams to 219 yards and zero touchdowns in 2014.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Report: Steelers expected to sign DeAngelo Williams

Posted by Josh Alper on March 13, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT

The Steelers made some big news on Friday afternoon by agreeing to a contract extension with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

They may have some smaller news in the near future as well. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team is expected to sign veteran running back DeAngelo Williams after Williams visited with the team on Friday.

Williams was released by Carolina after running 63 times for 219 yards during an injury-plagued 2014 campaign. It was easily the least productive year of his nine-year NFL career and the chances of major rebound probably aren’t great with Williams turning 32 this spring.

The Steelers don’t need him to carry a heavy load, however. He can slot in behind Le’Veon Bell and give the Steelers a better option in case of injury than the ones they were forced to turn to when Bell was injured during the playoffs last year. That better option will also come in handy in case of a suspension like the one Bell is expected to serve to start the 2015 season as a result of his DUI and marijuana possession arrest last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/13/report-steelers-expected-to-sign-deangelo-williams/

Slapstick
03-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Report: Steelers expected to sign RB DeAngelo Williams
by Jason Butt | CBSSports.com

(3:17 pm ET) The Steelers are expected to sign running back DeAngelo Williams to their roster, according to a report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The only reason a deal hasn't been signed yet is because coach Mike Tomlin is attending Ohio State's pro day and hasn't been able to chat with Williams.

After nine seasons with the Panthers, Williams was cut early this offseason. With Carolina, he carried the ball 1,432 times for 6,846 yards and 46 touchdowns. His best years came in 2008 and 2009, the only times he ran for over 1,000 yards in a single season.

Williams ran for 1,515 yards and 18 touchdowns in 2008. Injuries limited Williams to 219 yards and zero touchdowns in 2014.

Heh-heh. His name is "Butt"...

SidSmythe
03-13-2015, 04:20 PM
2 yr/$3.5 million

Rara
03-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 15s16 seconds ago
Former Panthers RB DeAngelo Williams is signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Good move for both.

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2015, 04:29 PM
James C Wexell @jimwexell -

@jledgePFS what happened to Art II's secret plan to make Haley the coach and Landry Jones the QB?

https://twitter.com/jimwexell/with_replies

SteelerOfDeVille
03-13-2015, 04:49 PM
3 years, $5 mil with a $2 mil SB...

Rara
03-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Not too bad!