PDA

View Full Version : Worilds retires!!! Whaaaaat??

skyhawk
03-11-2015, 01:20 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478005/article/exsteelers-lb-jason-worilds-shockingly-retiring

So he either is turning to pastorhood or will un-retire when teams become desperate later??

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2015, 02:01 AM
wow, sounds like Worilds got his feelings hurt because no team was willing to meet his price...

7upnext
03-11-2015, 02:30 AM
wow, sounds like Worilds got his feelings hurt because no team was willing to meet his price...

you know I don't think you are far off. I think many players overvalue themselves and it's shocking to them when they don't command the type of money they think they deserve. Thing is, most of the teams will have exhausted their cap if he chooses to come back and he will make much less and only for the rest of the season to boot. He better be damn sure because he is probably turning down over 25 million by retiring.

Vindrow
03-11-2015, 03:18 AM
My only question is this: How does this help us cap wise?

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 04:38 AM
My only question is this: How does this help us cap wise?

Zero impact to us since Worilds was a free agent and didn't count against our cap number

This is really shocking, but maybe he has other legit interests and doesn't live for football

Vindrow
03-11-2015, 04:41 AM
Zero impact to us since Worilds was a free agent and didn't count against our cap number

This is really shocking, but maybe he has other legit interests and doesn't live for football

Yeah, I forgot he was a free agent for a minute there when I posted this.:rolleyes:

steeler_george
03-11-2015, 05:29 AM
no wonder why he never really amounted to anything, his heart wasn't in the game!

what really sucks we get no comp for next years draft losing him.

moats and jj and rookie/Harrison(?) lot of questions... could be below avg to above avg, roll of the dice!

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Patrick Willis is unimpressed

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 06:26 AM

funny how this works

Slapstick
03-11-2015, 06:33 AM
I can believe this. It just depends on if Jason Worilds considers himself to be a normal person as opposed to an overly entitled schmuck like many football players.

Consider this: If he found a very safe investment and put most of his earnings away last season (a single game check under the transition tag was almost equal to his 2013 annual salary), he could live very comfortably off of the interest in perpetuity.

steelblood
03-11-2015, 06:37 AM
4th round comp pick down the drain

steelblood
03-11-2015, 06:38 AM
......and why announce this on the second day of free agency. Seems strange they would take calls for a few days, then announce.

SteelBucks
03-11-2015, 07:27 AM
......and why announce this on the second day of free agency. Seems strange they would take calls for a few days, then announce.

I guess he was willing to bang up his body for X amount and when teams didn't offer that, he retired. Strange decision but not shocking.

Discipline of Steel
03-11-2015, 07:29 AM
I think he has been struggling with this transition for more than a day or two.
good luck to him, hope hes found what makes him happy.

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 08:03 AM
I can believe this. It just depends on if Jason Worilds considers himself to be a normal person as opposed to an overly entitled schmuck like many football players.

Consider this: If he found a very safe investment and put most of his earnings away last season (a single game check under the transition tag was almost equal to his 2013 annual salary), he could live very comfortably off of the interest in perpetuity.

I have no issue with Worilds. Kudos to him. He worked hard for 5 years and earned about $15M; who on this board wouldn't jump at that. Maybe he is will actually and able use that free college education he got and live comfortably for the rest of his life versus the money chasers who burn through their earnings and then sue the NFL to try to stay on the gravy train.

Slapstick
03-11-2015, 08:21 AM
The guys who sued the NFL didn't necessarily make a lot of money....but, the NFL sure did...

phillyesq
03-11-2015, 08:40 AM
When I saw the first headline this morning I assumed that it was a mistake or a joke. Very surprising.

I bet anybody that made him an offer, including the Steelers, has to be relieved that he didn't take it.

SidSmythe
03-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Not sure how old you are but when I saw this on my Facebook feed the first thing I thought of was the Steve Miller Band Song: "Go on Take the Money ($10mill) and Run"

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 09:16 AM
I have no issue with Worilds. Kudos to him. He worked hard for 5 years and earned about $15M; who on this board wouldn't jump at that. Maybe he is will actually and able use that free college education he got and live comfortably for the rest of his life versus the money chasers who burn through their earnings and then sue the NFL to try to stay on the gravy train.

so now it's OK to jump at money? hmmm...

I think Worilds believed he was worth 10 Mill a year because he got it one year.

Dont forget about the tax man, agent, living expenses and other hands in that 15 mill. All of a sudden 15 mill turns into 5 mill once the dust settles.

He left a lot of money on the table.

K Train
03-11-2015, 09:34 AM
I am very happy he wont be a steeler next year

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Reports are Worilds wants to pursue his Faith... "Spiritual Awakening". Good Luck to him in his journey.

Discipline of Steel
03-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Reports are Worilds wants to pursue his Faith... "Spiritual Awakening". Good Luck to him in his journey.

ala Ricky Williams

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2015, 10:25 AM
The best case scenario for us was Worilds not getting any blockbuster offers out there, coming back to us with his tail between his legs and taking less money to stay here, and then living up to his promise, finally.

The worst case scenario for us was having the Steelers commit big money to him, and he doesn't live up to it, crippling our cap even further a la LaMarr Woodley.

The most likely scenario for us was some other foolish team offering him big dollars on the first day of the free agent signing period, so we lose him but can expect a solid comp pick in return a year from now.

The most surprising scenario for us was him suddenly deciding to retire, so not only do we still need to find another OLB, but we also don't get any comp pick for him next year.

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
The best case scenario for us was Worilds not getting any blockbuster offers out there, coming back to us with his tail between his legs and taking less money to stay here, and then living up to his promise, finally.

The worst case scenario for us was having the Steelers commit big money to him, and he doesn't live up to it, crippling our cap even further a la LaMarr Woodley.

The most likely scenario for us was some other foolish team offering him big dollars on the first day of the free agent signing period, so we lose him but can expect a solid comp pick in return a year from now.

The most surprising scenario for us was him suddenly deciding to retire, so not only do we still need to find another OLB, but we also don't get any comp pick for him next year.

Worilds to FO: Screw me on a long term deal? SCREW YOU ON A COMP PICK!!!

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Love the new Moonie sign, dizz. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2015, 10:32 AM
I meant sig, not sign. D'Oh!

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2015, 10:44 AM
I love how ovi is defending woirlds on this

If this was a player he didn't fawn over, he would be tearing him apart

So classic

phillyesq
03-11-2015, 10:52 AM

So classic

I can see the consistency. Everybody on the defense should retire. If the Steelers are not going to use a 4-3, they should not have any defense at all.

steelsnis
03-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Not sure how you can rip a guy for deciding he doesn't want to play football anymore. I'm glad he did this rather than accept a contract somewhere, take a bunch of money and then give half-a$$ed effort just to collect paycheck.

birtikidis
03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
I can see the consistency. Everybody on the defense should retire. If the Steelers are not going to use a 4-3, they should not have any defense at all.
We could sign plenty of good TE's with all the savings of cutting the entire defense.

Slapstick
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Not sure how old you are but when I saw this on my Facebook feed the first thing I thought of was the Steve Miller Band Song: "Go on Take the Money ($10mill) and Run"

I'm old enough to have owned that record (yes, on vinyl!)...

SteelerOfDeVille
03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Not sure how you can rip a guy for deciding he doesn't want to play football anymore. I'm glad he did this rather than accept a contract somewhere, take a bunch of money and then give half-a$$ed effort just to collect paycheck.

:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap
:Cheers

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 12:18 PM

most wish he would have half-a$$ed on another team for a year so we could get a comp pick...

I don't think anyone is ripping him for his decision..

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 12:45 PM

So classic

There is no need to defend him. What does he need defended for. he changed jobs like any replaceable carbon unit. He has money he feels he can live on so he moved on.

What is funnier is those who look at this as nefarious or a character flaw on Worilds part. he has made more money in 5 years than most of us will in our lifetime and he wants to do other things...why does that need defended. Please clarify?

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2015, 12:55 PM
just giving you grief dude. i dont have any problem with what woirlds did. its his life not mine.

i just feel like your tone would be alot different had say, a mike wallace taken his money and quit.

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 12:57 PM
There is no need to defend him. What does he need defended for. he changed jobs like any replaceable carbon unit. He has money he feels he can live on so he moved on.

What is funnier is those who look at this as nefarious or a character flaw on Worilds part. he has made more money in 5 years than most of us will in our lifetime and he wants to do other things...why does that need defended. Please clarify?

an NFL player making a ton of money in a short amount of time isn't news...lol.

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 12:59 PM
just giving you grief dude. i dont have any problem with what woirlds did. its his life not mine.

i just feel like your tone would be alot different had say, a mike wallace taken his money and quit.

Wallace quit because he is weak, all ego, a quitter, yada, yada, yada

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 01:04 PM

I would have had no problem with Wallace retiring except he wouldn't had proven me right about being a sprinter and second rate receiver;) You as well as anyone know I have always seen all these guys as replaceable. We need to clarify something, Worilds didn't take the money and quit. He did not force the Steelers to Franchise him. The team made that decision because our defensive staff has been unable to develop an elite OLB to rush the passer for the last half dozen years. Therefore they had to overpay for the one known quantity that they had in Worilds. That wasn't on Worilds, because he still tied for the team lead in sacks despite being asked to drop into coverage more than most of the pass rushing OLBs in the league.

Frankly, how many of us wouldn't consider what he did if our jobs were to pay us $10M over the next year? Wouldn't most of us consider a lifestyle change to ratchet it back a bit and enjoy life a little more.

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 01:05 PM
an NFL player making a ton of money in a short amount of time isn't news...lol.

...nor is said NFL player wasting that money and having nothing by the time they are in their late 30s. Perhaps Worilds is smarter. Where did anyone say making a lot of money was unique?

You're really grasping to find criticism.

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
I would have had no problem with Wallace retiring except he wouldn't had proven me right about being a sprinter and second rate receiver;) You as well as anyone know I have always seen all these guys as replaceable. We need to clarify something, Worilds didn't take the money and quit. He did not force the Steelers to Franchise him. The team made that decision because our defensive staff has been unable to develop an elite OLB to rush the passer for the last half dozen years. Therefore they had to overpay for the one known quantity that they had in Worilds. That wasn't on Worilds, because he still tied for the team lead in sacks despite being asked to drop into coverage more than most of the pass rushing OLBs in the league.

Frankly, how many of us wouldn't consider what he did if our jobs were to pay us $10M over the next year? Wouldn't most of us consider a lifestyle change to ratchet it back a bit and enjoy life a little more.

No, at 27 and coming off a pedestrian year. I'm going to test the market and prove I'm worth that big contract.

I'm sorry but putting up 7 sacks at 10 mill and calling it a day kinda smells like he took the money and ran.

Oviedo
03-11-2015, 01:11 PM
No, at 27 and coming off a pedestrian year. I'm going to test the market and prove I'm worth that big contract.

I'm sorry but putting up 7 sacks at 10 mill and calling it a day kinda smells like he took the money and ran.

Well I don't see how. He no longer had an NFL contract and chose not to pursue another. IMO signing a 5 year contract this year and then making this decision two years from now and pocketing about $20m in guaranteed money would had much more a case of taking the money and running. If anything, Worilds saved another team some money

phillyesq
03-11-2015, 01:37 PM

It sure does. Going into his contract year (before the tag) he came in bigger and stronger and he played the best football of his career in the last 8 games of 2013. You never saw that type of performance from him in 2014.

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2015, 01:38 PM
most wish he would have half-a$$ed on another team for a year so we could get a comp pick...

I don't think anyone is ripping him for his decision..

I would have been happy if he was overpaid by a team we don't like such as Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New England, Oakland, Dallas, etc.

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Well I don't see how. He no longer had an NFL contract and chose not to pursue another. IMO signing a 5 year contract this year and then making this decision two years from now and pocketing about $20m in guaranteed money would had much more a case of taking the money and running. If anything, Worilds saved another team some money

I don't care about other teams saving money.. I want them to spend, spend, spend...lol

if he ran after 2 more years it would have been "more of a case" but as it stands it looks like he took the money and ran. Big 2nd half before the tag, pedestrian after cashing the tag check then he taps out.

Slapstick
03-11-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't blame him a bit.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Wallace quit because he is weak, all ego, a quitter, yada, yada, yada
What's funny is i never agreed with that take. Wallace is a one-trick pony and his trick was taken away by the OC that year in an effort to save Ben's arse. Just kinda the way it unfolded.

Mike isn't half the underneath route-runner than AB is, nor anywhere near the open field runner. So glad he turned down the money and allowed us to keep AB instead.

K Train
03-11-2015, 03:12 PM
he turned down the money and allowed us to keep AB instead.

What a bargain now right?

Discipline of Steel
03-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I would have been happy if he was overpaid by a team we don't like such as Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New England, Oakland, Dallas, etc.

I like how you added Oakland and Dallass at the end there....old school enemies

SteelerOfDeVille
03-11-2015, 03:34 PM
What a bargain now right?
thought it was at the time... debated a co-worker on the topic back then - we were on opposite sides. I said I'd rather have the guy who keeps the chains moving and gave us numerous opportunities to score than the guy who gets one bomb a game... "OK... that's 7... now, what?" :-)

feltdizz
03-11-2015, 03:44 PM
What's funny is i never agreed with that take. Wallace is a one-trick pony and his trick was taken away by the OC that year in an effort to save Ben's arse. Just kinda the way it unfolded.

Mike isn't half the underneath route-runner than AB is, nor anywhere near the open field runner. So glad he turned down the money and allowed us to keep AB instead.

I was a big AB supported and always thought Mike Wallace had horrible hands. He was a one trick pony but that one trick was AMAZING in our offense before Haley arrived.

That being said, I always felt like MW made the most of his talents and I don't knock him one bit for cashing out.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2015, 04:07 PM
I was a big AB supported and always thought Mike Wallace had horrible hands. He was a one trick pony but that one trick was AMAZING in our offense before Haley arrived.

That being said, I always felt like MW made the most of his talents and I don't knock him one bit for cashing out.

thats it exactly

wallace played the game and maxed out his value. i have zero problem with that, but many here did

it seems curious that woirlds is now being lauded by some of the same people who said wallace was selfish for taking the most he could get for playing a violent sport that takes away from your family and health, but woirlds is a saint for getting what he could out of football and quitting

it doesnt wash

buccoray61
03-11-2015, 04:16 PM
thats it exactly

wallace played the game and maxed out his value. i have zero problem with that, but many here did

it seems curious that woirlds is now being lauded by some of the same people who said wallace was selfish for taking the most he could get for playing a violent sport that takes away from your family and health, but woirlds is a saint for getting what he could out of football and quitting

it doesnt wash

I doubt either one of them care what anyone on this board thinks lol

Eddie Spaghetti
03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
well yeah, thats pretty obvious

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-11-2015, 10:31 PM
NYT 3-11-15, Michael Powell: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/sports/football/darrelle-revis-cashes-in-as-other-nfl-stars-choose-to-walk-away.html

"... Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, who made $10 million last season, is said to have forgone a new contract out of his desire to render service to Jehovah’s Witnesses."

pittpete
03-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Jason. can you take Troy with you?

papillon
03-12-2015, 06:37 AM
thats it exactly

it doesnt wash

One tanked on the field and the other retired after a good, but not great season, but he never gave up on the field.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2015, 10:08 AM
One tanked on the field and the other retired after a good, but not great season, but he never gave up on the field.

Pappy

I still don't understand this. The year Wallace supposedly "gave up on the field" he caught 64 passes for 836 yards and 8 TD's.

That level of production is more than Larry Fitzgerald, Keenan Allen, Torrey Smith, or Brandon Marshall had this past season, for instance.

feltdizz
03-12-2015, 01:15 PM
I doubt either one of them care what anyone on this board thinks lol

if this is true, shut down the board... ;)

feltdizz
03-12-2015, 01:17 PM
I still don't understand this. The year Wallace supposedly "gave up on the field" he caught 64 passes for 836 yards and 8 TD's.

That level of production is more than Larry Fitzgerald, Keenan Allen, Torrey Smith, or Brandon Marshall had this past season, for instance.

yeah.. he didn't have a monster year in Haley's first season = giving up.

feltdizz
03-12-2015, 01:18 PM
NYT 3-11-15, Michael Powell: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/sports/football/darrelle-revis-cashes-in-as-other-nfl-stars-choose-to-walk-away.html

"... Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, who made $10 million last season, is said to have forgone a new contract out of his desire to render service to Jehovah’s Witnesses."

is he going to knock on doors now?

I'm joking.... but not really.

K Train
03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
yeah.. he didn't have a monster year in Haley's first season = giving up.

He was also pissy about the tender he received fwiw

feltdizz
03-12-2015, 01:23 PM
He was also pissy about the tender he received fwiw

sounds human to me...

It's not like Ben bought in completely during Haley's first year.

We need to stop acting like these players can't be upset about the business of the NFL.

K Train
03-12-2015, 01:49 PM
sounds human to me...

It's not like Ben bought in completely during Haley's first year.

We need to stop acting like these players can't be upset about the business of the NFL.
I wasnt saying that, i dont think he quit at all...he played fine, it was clear he wanted a pay day and he got it even though the phins really regret it now

feltdizz
03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
I wasnt saying that, i dont think he quit at all...he played fine, it was clear he wanted a pay day and he got it even though the phins really regret it now

I agree.. I thought you were saying it impacted his play

Moonie
03-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Worilds is punking out. How goddam hard is it to work religion and play football at the same time? The league has always had guys multi-tasking it: Tebow, Warner, Steve Young, Abdullah, Rashad, Boldin, Lewis, Detmer. I've even seen Polamalu cross himself on a play before the whistle blew. I swear.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Husain-Abdullah-570x426.jpg

Captain Lemming
03-13-2015, 12:43 AM
is he going to knock on doors now?

I'm joking.... but not really.

Its what I do Dizz.
I share his faith, never knew it before now.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Worilds is punking out. How goddam hard is it to work religion and play football at the same time? The league has always had guys multi-tasking it: Tebow, Warner, Steve Young, Abdullah, Rashad, Boldin, Lewis, Detmer. I've even seen Polamalu cross himself on a play before the whistle blew. I swear.

Call it what you want Moonie.
Some people want to devote more "time" devoting their lives to serving God. Retiring affords him time he would not have as an active player. It is not for everybody. Others might not choose it. But Time is finite my friend.

Jesus put down his carpenters hammer to devote his life to his ministry. His apostles abandoned fishing nets to join his ministry. If Jason chooses in his own way to imitate those examples.......it ain't punking out.

Discipline of Steel
03-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Some people want to devote more "time" devoting their lives to serving God. Retiring affords him time he would not have as an active player. It is not for everybody. Others might not choose it. But Time is finite my friend.

Jesus put down his carpenters hammer to devote his life to his ministry. His apostles abandoned fishing nets to join his ministry. If Jason chooses in his own way to imitate those examples.......it ain't punking out.

Id have to agree, his mind is just elsewhere.

Slapstick
03-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Punking out? It's very easy for someone on a message board to say that...having never been through a training camp nor started in the NFL...let alone for five years...

BradshawsHairdresser
03-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Worilds had fulfilled the obligations of his contract...he didn't leave owing anyone anything. He made more money in 5 years than most of us will make in a lifetime. He walks away from the game in (I think) good physical shape, hopefully avoiding the damage to body and mind that some NFL players suffer from for the rest of their lives. Good for him. It's probably a really smart move.

K Train
03-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Punking out? It's very easy for someone on a message board to say that...having never been through a training camp nor started in the NFL...let alone for five years...My heart bleeds for those poor athletes

feltdizz
03-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Its what I do Dizz.
I share his faith, never knew it before now.

I'm going to leave it alone...

I don't want to offend or joke anyone's faith.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2015, 10:06 AM

I will! A priest, a rabbi, and Jason Worilds walk into a bar...:lol:

birtikidis
03-13-2015, 10:14 AM
I will! A priest, a rabbi, and Jason Worilds walk into a bar...:lol:
Jason has to knock first...

flippy
03-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Can't wait to see Jason riding his bike to my house and knocking on the door to drop off some pamphlets.

feltdizz
03-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Jason has to knock first...

not gonna do it.

Slapstick
03-13-2015, 10:54 AM
My heart bleeds for those poor athletes

Again, easy to say on an MB...

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2015, 10:58 AM
not gonna do it.

http://t.qkme.me/3qywyb.jpg

It's 2015, and I've made two separate Dana Carvey as George H. W. Bush references in one week on a Steeler message board...what are the chances?

Northern_Blitz
03-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Worilds had fulfilled the obligations of his contract...he didn't leave owing anyone anything. He made more money in 5 years than most of us will make in a lifetime. He walks away from the game in (I think) good physical shape, hopefully avoiding the damage to body and mind that some NFL players suffer from for the rest of their lives. Good for him. It's probably a really smart move.

This. How many people would quit work if they won a $9.75M lottery? That's what his tag was last year and doesn't even count his first contract.

If he's even moderately responsible financially, he's set for life. It's not wrong to want to keep playing. It's not wrong to walk away either.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Joke away my friend. Most of us love it.

"Knock knock"
Who's there?
JW.
JW who, Jehovah’s Witnesses?
"Jason Worilds"

feltdizz
03-13-2015, 05:38 PM
This. How many people would quit work if they won a $9.75M lottery? That's what his tag was last year and doesn't even count his first contract.

If he's even moderately responsible financially, he's set for life. It's not wrong to want to keep playing. It's not wrong to walk away either.

cmon... its the NFL. Its not like JW was bagging grocery

flippy
03-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Joke away my friend. Most of us love it.

"Knock knock"
Who's there?
JW.
JW who, Jehovah’s Witnesses?
"Jason Worilds"

Having the same initials as his religion is really odd :)

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Having the same initials as his religion is really odd :)

I wonder if Ryan Clark is Roman Catholic? Is Steve McLendon a Shiite Muslim?

Because of Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song, we already know that O.J. is not an Orthodox Jew. ;)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-13-2015, 09:50 PM
I wonder if Ryan Clark is Roman Catholic? Is Steve McLendon a Shiite Muslim? Because of Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song, we already know that O.J. is not an Orthodox Jew. ;) Is Ben a Bahai (Reformed)?

Moonie
03-14-2015, 12:30 PM

That was when god was just getting started. Thousands of years ago. No TV, no internet, no radio, no Gideons, not even newspapers. You can't compare the hurdles those guys had in front of them to what today's wanna-be advocates do. Now Him is everywhere, even the gridiron. Comparing Worilds' weak behavior to the founders is just apples and oranges, IMHFO.

Slapstick
03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
And what that has to do with anything, I am unclear.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2015, 02:08 PM
That was when god was just getting started. Thousands of years ago. No TV, no internet, no radio, no Gideons, not even newspapers. You can't compare the hurdles those guys had in front of them to what today's wanna-be advocates do. Now Him is everywhere, even the gridiron. Comparing Worilds' weak behavior to the founders is just apples and oranges, IMHFO.

Mr. Moonie, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Besides, fishwhacked was better. :)

feltdizz
03-14-2015, 02:36 PM

are you fishwacked?

Slapstick
03-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Mr. Moonie, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

He'll take "Whore Ads" for $200...

Umm...I mean, "Who Reads"...

Northern_Blitz
03-14-2015, 10:48 PM
cmon... its the NFL. Its not like JW was bagging grocery

Exactly. There's a long list of ex-players with head issues or who have trouble walking. The guy's set for life. I've got no problem with him walking away.

Players don't owe the game anything.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-15-2015, 12:51 AM

You just about had me convinced after all these years that you were actually Kevin Colbert posting incognito on this forum, but now ... now I think maybe you are the ghost of Siskel and Ebert???

Moonie
03-15-2015, 01:17 AM
You just about had me convinced after all these years that you were actually Kevin Colbert posting incognito on this forum, but now ... now I think maybe you are the ghost of Siskel and Ebert???

That reads more like Geraldo Rivera than Siskel and Ebert. Note the well placed strident touches, and the wholly insincere reference to the divine. That had Rivera all over it.

buccoray61
03-15-2015, 08:30 AM
It's from Billy Madison.

fordfixer
03-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Crap I thought J. W. Just got new tires for his car or something

feltdizz
03-15-2015, 09:45 AM
seriously.... this could he as great story or another tragedy where the church walks away with his money.

Reggie White was big on church and even said God told him to go to GB. Years later he confessed he may have been wrong about his faith and I believe he walked away from the Church he was affiliated with due to financial and spiritual differences.

Sean Gilbert is from Aliquippa and after he retired I went home to visit family and the old HS was demolished and there was a huge church/school building being constructed and financed by Sean Gilbert for his ministry. 10 years later, its still an empy shell and Gilbert walked away because he fell out with the church he was affiliated with and so it sits empty... while the rest of the community looks like a 3rd world country.

I hope JW doesnt have someone in his ear using faith to get to his money but it wouldnt be the first time.

Discipline of Steel
03-15-2015, 10:03 AM
God doesnt need our money...people do.

flippy
03-15-2015, 11:11 AM
seriously.... this could he as great story or another tragedy where the church walks away with his money.

Reggie White was big on church and even said God told him to go to GB. Years later he confessed he may have been wrong about his faith and I believe he walked away from the Church he was affiliated with due to financial and spiritual differences.

Sean Gilbert is from Aliquippa and after he retired I went home to visit family and the old HS was demolished and there was a huge church/school building being constructed and financed by Sean Gilbert for his ministry. 10 years later, its still an empy shell and Gilbert walked away because he fell out with the church he was affiliated with and so it sits empty... while the rest of the community looks like a 3rd world country.

I hope JW doesnt have someone in his ear using faith to get to his money but it wouldnt be the first time.

One of these days I'm gonna start my own religion called RoadHouse.

It'll be based on the concept that Patrick Swayze was the true son of God sent to Earth to make the movie RoadHouse and teach us to always be nice until Patrick Swayze tells us it's time to not be nice.

The purpose of Swayze's death was for the benefit of all mankind. He died for our sins so that he would never be around again to tell us it's time to not be nice. Essentially he left this world stuck in a perpetually nice state - the ultimate selfless sacrifice.

He even showed us in the movie Ghost that we don't have to worry when he is gone. He will always be around be around to protect us.

We should be forever grateful and everyone should cut a check to me.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Pain don't hurt, flip. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 11:25 AM
I just hope that in this new religion, communion doesn't replace unleavened bread with eating a big white mint. :lol:

flippy
03-15-2015, 01:37 PM
I just hope that in this new religion, communion doesn't replace unleavened bread with eating a big white mint. :lol:

I'm thinking people are safe because that wouldn't be nice ;)

fordfixer
03-15-2015, 07:21 PM
One of these days I'm gonna start my own religion called RoadHouse.

It'll be based on the concept that Patrick Swayze was the true son of God sent to Earth to make the movie RoadHouse and teach us to always be nice until Patrick Swayze tells us it's time to not be nice.

The purpose of Swayze's death was for the benefit of all mankind. He died for our sins so that he would never be around again to tell us it's time to not be nice. Essentially he left this world stuck in a perpetually nice state - the ultimate selfless sacrifice.

He even showed us in the movie Ghost that we don't have to worry when he is gone. He will always be around be around to protect us.

We should be forever grateful and everyone should cut a check to me.that don't explain Dirty Dancing :p

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Nobody puts flippy in a corner. ;)

fordfixer
03-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Nobody puts flippy in a corner. ;)
Except maybe his "Next of Kin"

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Except maybe his "Next of Kin"

Don't make be go "Point Break" here...;)

Wars of religion always make me laugh because basically you're fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

fordfixer
03-15-2015, 09:52 PM

Wars of religion always make me laugh because basically you're fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Do you think you can before the next "Red Dawn" :cool:

fordfixer
03-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Wars of religion always make me laugh because basically you're fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.[/COLOR]

(and it's not called imagination it's called faith)

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2015, 10:15 PM
(and it's not called imagination it's called faith)

Tell that to Keanu "Johnny Utah" Reeves.

fordfixer
03-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Tell that to Keanu "Johnny Utah" Reeves.

Crap now you went and done it "All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid"

Chadman
03-15-2015, 11:53 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa......if Swayze is the son of God, does that make Jennifer Grey "Mary Magdelene"?

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa......if Swayze is the son of God, does that make Jennifer Grey "Mary Magdelene"?

She wants Lord Swayze to save all of mankind, except for her brother Ferris Bueller.

http://www.dealerknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tower.jpg

flippy
03-16-2015, 07:57 PM

Clearly there will be a Book of Keanu in the Roadhouse religion. Some may see this as sacrilegious, but many will see him as a prophet foretelling that no one beats Dalton in a fight.

flippy
03-16-2015, 08:07 PM
that don't explain Dirty Dancing :p

Just like Jesus, Swayze had to prove he's both fully human and fully divine. Seems pretty obvious to me. :)

flippy
03-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Someone else gets it. I just might have to make Chadman the Pope of Roadhouse. It could be a tight vote given Ruthless and his knowledge of the Wade Garrett Testament (Old Testamanet) and specifically the prophet Keanu.

"Nobody puts baby in the corner" and "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone" are basically the same line about Baby and Mary Magdelene respectively.

flippy
03-16-2015, 08:15 PM
She wants Lord Swayze to save all of mankind, except for her brother Ferris Bueller.

http://www.dealerknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tower.jpg

That entire movie was all inside Cameron's mind. It was the original fight club. Ferris and his sister weren't real. That's a small point that sometimes clouds the Roadhouse religion.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Monty Python has to do a remake of "Life of Brian" for this new religion called "Life of Don".

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/30/article-2068177-0F00E30600000578-578_468x565.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2015, 09:28 PM
That entire movie was all inside Cameron's mind. It was the original fight club. Ferris and his sister weren't real. That's a small point that sometimes clouds the Roadhouse religion.

When Cameron was in Egypt's land...

...let my Cameron go.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Alex Kozora retweeted
Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib -

Colbert on Worilds: “Him deciding to retire didn’t affect us one way or the other because he wasn’t in our plans.”

When I asked Colbert if Moats is starter on left: “That is Coach Tomlin’s call but I would imagine."

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

feltdizz
03-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Alex Kozora retweeted
Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib -

Colbert on Worilds: “Him deciding to retire didn’t affect us one way or the other because he wasn’t in our plans.”

When I asked Colbert if Moats is starter on left: “That is Coach Tomlin’s call but I would imagine."

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

How cold was that?

ICE COLD!!!

birtikidis
03-23-2015, 10:46 AM
That as pretty cold. Not surprising though.

Captain Lemming
03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
How cold was that?

ICE COLD!!!

Hey Ya!!!!!

Not a surprise. We tend to sign guys in his situation before they "shop around" as a free agent. At that point we know some idiot will overpay, so they
are good as gone. I knew then that he would never be a Steeler again before he announced anything. Thus the comment.

Captain Lemming
03-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Dizz, we aint about money. If that were the motivation a FAT CONTACT with a 10 million plus signing bonus would result in a far bigger profit.
There is never pressure for money, it is contrary to our core values.

In fact we have no collection plates, no paid clergy.

I personally minister in our congregation, travel to other towns to teach in other congregations, perform weddings, funerals, minister in peoples homes, have taught scripture before audiences of 1,000 plus and dont get a dime for my work. I am happy to do it for free. NOBODY is paid for these things. I have a real job to support me and dont make near my potential because I spend nearly the amount of time as a second full time job in my ministry for free. If I ever solicited a member for payment for anything I do or the congregation, I would be removed from my responsibilities. Jesus said "you received free you give free".

Ones "time" not ones "money" is what we value. Thus Jasons decision.
A devout member of our religion who has the means to self support based on past earnings will often give it up to devote his time in our door to door ministry.

People leave high paying jobs, and work part time to engage in our work. Net result is "less" money, "more" time.

Again if it were about money, Worilds would have been a BETTER ASSET as an active player with a fat contract, giving monetarily to his faith without fear of running dry.

From the inside, I can tell you he will be encouraged to live modestly, not give it all up, so his earnings will sustain his ministry.
His retiring gives him more time, less money.

People might think its crazy, or disagrees doctrinally. I can respect that.

But as far as motivation? I promise you it is NEVER about money.

birtikidis
03-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Dizz, we aint about money. If that were the motivation a FAT CONTACT with a 10 million plus signing bonus would result in a far bigger profit.

I personally minister in our congregation, travel to other towns to teach in other congregations, perform weddings, funerals, minister in peoples homes, have taught scripture before audiences of 1,000 plus and dont get a dime for my work. I am happy to do it for free. NOBODY is paid for these things. I have a real job to support me and dont make near my potential because I spend nearly the amount of time as a second full time job in my ministry for free. If I ever solicited a member for payment for anything I do or the congregation, I would be removed from my responsibilities. Jesus said "you received free you give free".

A devout member of our religion who has the means to self support based on past earnings will often give it up to devote his time in our door to door ministry.

People leave high paying jobs, and work part time to engage in our work. Net result is "less" money, "more" time.

Again if it were about money, Worilds would have been a BETTER ASSET as an active player with a fat contract, giving monetarily to his faith without fear of running dry.

From the inside, I can tell you he will be encouraged to live modestly, not give it all up, so his earnings will sustain his ministry.

Well Cap'n, we can only hope that he joined a congregation such as yours. Unfortunately, too many times, there are folks who are corrupt.

papillon
03-23-2015, 01:56 PM

This question in no way shape or form is to criticize any religion, faith or belief system, but I do have a question about the "it's never about the money" statement. Aren't the televangelists doing the exact opposite of what you are stating above? Drawing attention to themselves and then asking for money? Jim and Tammy Bakker? Jerry Falwell? Creflo Dollar? And others that live lavishly and in opulence from money donated to their ministries form "followers" at the request of the evangelist?

I promise this is my last non-Steeler response in this thread and if the Lemming and I are to continue this discussion we will do it in another forum or via PM.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
03-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Well Cap'n, we can only hope that he joined a congregation such as yours. Unfortunately, too many times, there are folks who are corrupt.

I get the skepticism, but what I am talking about is a rule of our religion.

You literally cannot solicit or charge people payment for your services as a minister.
You cannot pass a collection plate.
You cannot pressure or even ask any individual to give money to the congregation.
Even out literature including large PU Leather Bibles are given out freely at no charge.

It would therefore be literally against our religion to ask Worilds for money period. We cannot do that no matter how much he has to give.

How are thing paid for?

The way we pay for our buildings, literature, and to keep the lights, on are small boxes where people can anonymously contribute to those needs should their heart move them to do so.

Even those who work full time at our headquarters including those who write and print our literature are volunteers who get room board, food, a small stipend for clothing etc. I personally know many who have done this and when they leave they have nothing monetarily to show for it.

Literally NOBODY profits from engaging in our work, despite billions of dollars (we print more freely given literature than any single entitle on the planet) required to run it.

Captain Lemming
03-23-2015, 02:35 PM
This question in no way shape or form is to criticize any religion, faith or belief system, but I do have a question about the "it's never about the money" statement. Aren't the televangelists doing the exact opposite of what you are stating above? Drawing attention to themselves and then asking for money? Jim and Tammy Bakker? Jerry Falwell? Creflo Dollar? And others that live lavishly and in opulence from money donated to their ministries form "followers" at the request of the evangelist?

I promise this is my last non-Steeler response in this thread and if the Lemming and I are to continue this discussion we will do it in another forum or via PM.

Pappy

You are right about televangelist and their kind in local churches. I am not at all referring to those rip off artists.
Such greed is contrary to the values Christ taught (Matthew chapter 6), and gives a bad name to people of real faith.

My point is that within the faith that Worilds and I have (Jehovah's Witnesses), this kind of conduct is not condoned.
It is a rule that we cannot in any way solicit profit from our work as a minister.

For example, someone asks me personally to perform a wedding. Not in the congregation but at a beach (as I did in Hawaii when I lived there).

If I charge them a fee for it, (just between us) I break those rules because I am charging for activities as a minister. I can be removed from my privilege for doing this.

It must be completely voluntary.

Like I said it is a core value based on the pattern of Jesus and the apostles who never charged for their ministry.

feltdizz
03-23-2015, 07:01 PM
i know little about JW so I will take you at your word.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2015, 08:24 PM
i know little about JW so I will take you at your word.

All I know is that Sean Connery says that Jehovah starts with an "I". ;)

BradshawsHairdresser
03-23-2015, 10:23 PM
I respect your integrity, Lemming, but there have been "rip off artists" in the JW church, too. A few years back, not far from where I live, a couple of JW elders used their influence in the church to bilk an old lady out of millions of $$$.

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/watchtower-money/jehovahs-witness-church-elders-sentenced-to-15-years-for-6-million-theft/