PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Moats Resigned

phillyesq
03-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Per multiple reports on twitter. Have not seen numbers yet.

Very good move from a depth perspective.

Steelhere10
03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Good move, sign Mc Cain and another decent corner.

Shawn
03-09-2015, 01:46 PM
I think he is our starter. Great signing.

Oviedo
03-09-2015, 01:52 PM
I think he is our starter. Great signing.

If he is our starters, it shows you how thin we are at OLB and how far this once position of strength has sunk. I was all for Moats coming back, but this does not bode well for our pass rush. Moats is a back up and spot starter not a difference maker. Butler needs to have a whole lot of "4-3 looks" planned in 2015 if we are going to improve on our pathetic pass rush total from last season

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-09-2015, 02:04 PM
3 year / $7,500,000

I would say starter until 1st or 2nd round LB ready?

Maybe CB FA target now?

steelblood
03-09-2015, 02:11 PM
3 year / $7,500,000

Maybe CB FA target now?

Ok. As long as there is not too much guaranteed money and it is slightly backloaded, I like it. If we pay him 1.5, then 2.5, then, 3.5, for example.

phillyesq
03-09-2015, 02:11 PM
3 year / $7,500,000

I think you are right.

That's the same amount of cash that they paid McLendon, which says to me that the Steelers see Moats as a marginal starter. It's also not an outrageous salary for a top backup at a key position.

At this point, I don't think that they sign ever a guy like Sheard. I think they will draft somebody in the first 2 rounds and maybe add a guy later for depth.

Jooser
03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/steelers-keep-free-agent-linebacker-arthur-moats/

Steelers keep free agent linebacker Arthur Moats Posted by Darin Gantt on March 9, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/0ecc17718a13d562c65db0e4816dc267-e1425922527616.jpeg?w=199
Getty ImagesThe Steelers are going to keep at least one of their linebackers out of the free agent market, even if it’s not the first one on the list.
Arthur Moats (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5869/arthur-moats) just tweeted out word that he was “staying in Pittsburgh (https://twitter.com/dabody52/status/574983855599415297).”

A league source tells PFT it’s a three-year deal worth $7.5 million.

Moats never made much of an impact in four years with the Bills, but had 4.0 sacks in nine starts for the Steelers last year, building on his role as a rotational player.

They’re still waiting to see what happens with Jason Worilds (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5701/jason-worilds), who figures to draw significant interest on the open market.

But keeping Moats gives them some solid depth even if Worilds leaves, and they backfill the position through the draft as they’ve done for years.

pittpete
03-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Good move, sign Mc Cain and another decent corner.

Agreed but
I like Blake and he's young also...
Small but tough and restricted FA so I believe he'll be staying a Steeler

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Agreed but
I like Blake and he's young also...
Small but tough and restricted FA so I believe he'll be staying a Steeler

Yeah, I think it's all but assured that Blake will be back since he is restricted.

Slapstick
03-09-2015, 02:47 PM
It would not shock me in the least if he produced as well as Jason Worlds AND was better against the run...

It also would not shock me if he played well enough to keep a young pass rusher on the bench...

Shawn
03-09-2015, 02:51 PM
If he is our starters, it shows you how thin we are at OLB and how far this once position of strength has sunk. I was all for Moats coming back, but this does not bode well for our pass rush. Moats is a back up and spot starter not a difference maker. Butler needs to have a whole lot of "4-3 looks" planned in 2015 if we are going to improve on our pathetic pass rush total from last season I believe you are wrong. Give Moats a shot and I see him as a 9-10 sack guy who is stout against the run.

feltdizz
03-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Nice signing... I don't care who starts.

squidkid
03-09-2015, 03:13 PM
great signing

Discipline of Steel
03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
When i first read this, i thought it was resigned, like quit the team...and there was a shock of disappointment so i guess that is how i feel about him. Glad to see he will be with us next year.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2015, 03:41 PM
When i first read this, i thought it was resigned, like quit the team...and there was a shock of disappointment so i guess that is how i feel about him. Glad to see he will be with us next year.

Ah, the all-important hyphen...Moats RE-SIGNED! (not resigned)...the power of punctuation! ;)

SidSmythe
03-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Moats can play BOTH sides and backup INSIDE. He's far more valuable than WORILDS ... WORILDS showed a flash of greatness at the end of 2013 and people are still hanging onto that. But MOATS could probably do the same as what WORILDS did last year but from either side.

pittpete
03-09-2015, 04:55 PM
OMG, I agree with Sid

Discipline of Steel
03-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Ah, the all-important hyphen...Moats RE-SIGNED! (not resigned)...the power of punctuation! ;)

Lets eat Grandma. Lets eat, Grandma.

Chadman
03-09-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't think this necessarily removes the signing of a FA OLB like Sheard or Morgan. Moats could be used as the primary back-up, but also be used to push Jarvis Jones at ROLB as well. He'll certainly see the field a lot.

fordfixer
03-09-2015, 07:17 PM

Oh now I get it all this time I was confused by this. I really have paid better attention in skool :D

Slapstick
03-09-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't think this necessarily removes the signing of a FA OLB like Sheard or Morgan. Moats could be used as the primary back-up, but also be used to push Jarvis Jones at ROLB as well. He'll certainly see the field a lot.

Unless the Steelers are moving to a 4-3, Sheard is probably not a target...he didn't make the conversion to 3-4 OLB well at all...also, I'm not convinced that Morgan is significantly better than Moats...

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Lets eat Grandma. Lets eat, Grandma.

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/9/4/1409837047066/seals-011.jpg

SidSmythe
03-09-2015, 10:31 PM
OMG, I agree with Sid

Why wouldn't you PAL??

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2015, 11:41 PM
Unless the Steelers are moving to a 4-3, Sheard is probably not a target...he didn't make the conversion to 3-4 OLB well at all...also, I'm not convinced that Morgan is significantly better than Moats...

Agreed on both counts.

Slapstick
03-10-2015, 10:12 AM
The thing that gives me hope for Moats is this report from Tunch Ilkin last year:

“The guy that jumped out to me today in all the drills was Arthur Moats,” said Ilkin. “And the reason is, when Arthur Moats was at Buffalo, he was a 4-3 stack linebacker, an outside linebacker – played off of the line of scrimmage. He never jumped out at me. As a 3-4 outside linebacker, he looks much more natural, much more at ease as a natural pass rusher, who does a great job of not only with an initial move, but a counter off of it.”

birtikidis
03-10-2015, 10:25 AM
The thing that gives me hope for Moats is this report from Tunch Ilkin last year:
I'm sure that this quite a bit of homerism, but I thought Moats looked better than Jason every time he was on the field. I actually thought at times he was our 3rd or 4th best Lb'er behind Silverback and Timmons..

Discipline of Steel
03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
As a 3-4 outside linebacker, he looks much more natural, much more at ease as a natural pass rusher, who does a great job of not only with an initial move, but a counter off of it.

Just in time for us to switch to a 4-3! :stirpot

feltdizz
03-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm sure that this quite a bit of homerism, but I thought Moats looked better than Jason every time he was on the field. I actually thought at times he was our 3rd or 4th best Lb'er behind Silverback and Timmons..

I agree... Jason underwhelmed last year. Especially at 10 mill... if we paid him 2 mill I would have still been unimpressed. Dude was horrible vs the rush.

birtikidis
03-10-2015, 01:52 PM
I agree... Jason underwhelmed last year. Especially at 10 mill... if we paid him 2 mill I would have still been unimpressed. Dude was horrible vs the rush.
his run defense was my biggest problem with him. Who cares if he gets 2 sacks a game for -15yds (that would be 32 sacks, ok, I exaggerate, that would be worth keeping) if the other team can run right at him for 5 yards a pop?
He's a poor mans D. Ware. Pass rush moves with out the ability to set containment and hold the point of attack.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2015, 02:25 PM
He is 26, he is being paid like a backup, and he has a chance to either be a starter, or at least get on the field for plenty of snaps.

Anytime a player's downside is his contract, and his upside is way above his pay grade, that is a good signing.

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Moats is no 9-5 guy

Posted 19 hours ago

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

Linebacker Arthur Moats knows there isn't a clock you punch when it comes to football.

If there is a guy who understands what it takes to make it in the NFL, it’s linebacker Arthur Moats.

Moats didn’t come into the league with a lot of fanfare, the Buffalo Bills sixth-round pick in 2010 out of James Madison, a school that isn’t a breeding ground for NFL players despite Pro Football Hall of Famer Charles Haley emerging from there.

Everything he has accomplished on the field, from making the roster as a rookie with the Bills, to the Steelers wanting to hold on to him when he became a free agent this offseason, has been a result of one thing. Hard work.

“I am always trying to find what Coach (Mike) Tomlin says is the winning edge,” said Moats, one of the last players off the field after Wednesday’s OTA session. “For me I am a big guy as far as stretching afterwards and working on my fundamentals and techniques.

“Any time I can grab one of the young guys, bring them along with me just to show them as a professional it’s not just about while we are here on a schedule. We are not paid by hourly wages. It’s salary for us so stay as long as you need to make sure you are improving yourself. I just try to get that message to those guys.”

Moats, who enters his sixth season in the NFL and second with the Steelers, has quickly developed into a leader among the outside linebackers because of that attitude and approach. He is helping younger players like Bud Dupree and Jarvis Jones, giving them any advice he can, and likes what he sees from those two in particular during OTAs.

“They are out here putting in the work and improving every day,” said Moats. “The thing that I like the most about them is they are eager to learn. Neither one of them come in here as if they have already arrived or they know everything. They are still in here in the classroom trying to learn. When we come out here to the field they are staying after, doing extra work, making sure they are learning the nuances of the defense. That way they can be successful this year.

“I feel like we are progressing right on pace. During this time of year it’s big on working on your fundamentals, finding little things with the defense so that when we get to Latrobe we are able to execute at 100 percent. I feel like we are making good strides.”

It’s helps Moats a lot too that he is in his second year in the Steelers defense. Last year during OTAs it was a learning process, from learning his teammates to the plays. This year the comfort level is much greater.

“It’s a ton easier,” said Moats. “I know for me, my history playing in Buffalo, I have had different coordinators pretty much every year so I have always had to have that learning curve, learning a new defense, learning a new spot. So for me to have that continuity it’s a breath of fresh air. I am able to communicate and be more of a vocal leader this year and I definitely feel like my play is showing in OTAs.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Moats-is-no-9-5-guy/b6397e98-8606-472e-83db-17e71c8fb535

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Ruthless, you are unbelievable. Not only do you come up with some good articles, but you dig deep into the archives to attach them to a thread that could have been a hot discussion many months ago. Sometimes it is good to see what some of us had to write on a certain topic, especially on some that are a year or two old.

On this topic, the one thing that jumped out, and the thing that always amazes me about this team is this statement:

Moats, who enters his sixth season in the NFL and second with the Steelers, has quickly developed into a leader among the outside linebackers because of that attitude and approach. He is helping younger players like Bud Dupree and Jarvis Jones, giving them any advice he can, and likes what he sees from those two in particular during OTAs.

You always see this from this team. Veterans, who could easily be losing playing time to younger players, still helping those players along for the greater good. If the goal is to win a SB, it is more important to get guys like Jones and Dupree up to speed, despite the fact that Dupree is likely going to start this season right behind him at LOLB on the depth chart.

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Ruthless, you are unbelievable. Not only do you come up with some good articles, but you dig deep into the archives to attach them to a thread that could have been a hot discussion many months ago.

http://www.blackwhitestyle.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/h86E3ED00.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-11-2015, 11:08 AM
http://www.blackwhitestyle.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/h86E3ED00.jpg

Ya Ya...now get back to work you slacker. :D