PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers give Steven Jackson a look?

DBR96A
03-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Steven Jackson was actually one of the best RBs in the NFL after first contact last season, but he was only given 190 carries. I think he'd make a good goal-line and short-yardage back, and I think he's capable of carrying the load for a couple of games during Le'Veon Bell's suspension, but is he willing to be a backup? Signing him would give the Steelers some flexibility in the draft this year. I think it'd be a good idea to at least kick the tires on him. Anybody else agree?

feltdizz
03-06-2015, 04:41 PM
I like this option better than the Bush scenario. I think Jackson can carry the load for a few games while Bell is out. Not sure how he would feel about getting less than a few touches a game once Bell returns.

pittpete
03-06-2015, 04:48 PM
NO---You think hes going to play for vet min and be a backup..

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I brought this up earlier...absolutely if he is able to realize that he is not a full-time starter anymore and is willing to accept backup RB pay (more than veteran minimum dollars, but not big bucks). SJax in his prime was a very similar RB to Le'Veon Bell now. He is still capable of being a short-term workhorse for the few games while Bell is out (especially since a rookie RB would not necessarily be able to carry the load so early in the year). Longer term secondary option to give Bell a breather later in the season. While he was officially the starter in Atlanta last year, he was splitting carries with Davonte Freeman, Antone Smith, and Jacquizz Rodgers, so it wouldn't be the first time he was in a time share situation.

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Why would you bring in an aged vet when you have the likes of such great young players behind him? Those other guys haven't had the opportunity and should get it. THEY'RE YOUNG DON'T YA KNOW!

phillyesq
03-06-2015, 05:37 PM
NO---You think hes going to play for vet min and be a backup..

He will be 32 years old when the season starts. He averaged 3.7 and 3.5 YPC the last 2 seasons. Who is going to give him a starting role and the accompanying contract?

MJD, who had a similar list of accomplishments, signed last season for $1.2 million. That's not much higher than the vet minimum.

Slapstick
03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Why would you bring in an aged vet when you have the likes of such great young players behind him? Those other guys haven't had the opportunity and should get it. THEY'RE YOUNG DON'T YA KNOW!

Woof! Holy bitter, Batman!

Discipline of Steel
03-06-2015, 06:01 PM
I like SJ, can run block catch, and hes had a great career so far....so if the Steelers think he still has some gas in the tank then Im all for it.

hausparty
03-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Ahh I sware this was started just to stir me up.
NO NO NO NO we shouldn't give the over the hill Jackson a look. How did he do in Atlanta? and what is Atlanta now doing at RB? YOUTH!

Why teach our OL how to block for a back like Jackson when according to many of you will only touch the ball 5% of the time? Why all the extra practice time for 5% of the time? You bring in a back who plays like Bell so practice time is actually spent on what we will actually do regardless of what back is in the game. I don't know how much more I can take of this! We tried the Blount approach and it was PAINFUL to watch those runs up the middle! We tried to bring in Archer for a spark and again it was PAINFUL to watch it go nowhere! How much practice time in your opinions was wasted on those 2 running backs so we could try to change it up? We started to win and the OL started to produce when Bell was in the game 99.9% of the time. We need a back who can produce without changing what we do. NO MORE WASTING TIME, especially the limited practice time these guys do get these days. Lets be smart.

DBR96A
03-06-2015, 06:36 PM
A couple of things...

1. Averaging less than four YPC doesn't matter if a RB only needs to get one or two yards in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

2. The Falcons haven't had a good offensive line since they signed Steven Jackson. The Steelers have a better one these days.

hausparty
03-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Ok if we are simply thinking with that logic.
Let's just keep Tate.

Shawn
03-06-2015, 07:09 PM
No, I hope that helps.

8467thekraken
03-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Why doesn't Will Johnson get more carries? We've barely opened up Josh Harris. Or just go with Tate. They all know the system.

Just don't see why we should spend the $ on a Veteran. Get a 6th or 7th rounder in the building. A kid who is hungry.

hausparty
03-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Bush, thomas, helu, or keep what we got.
Only options for me

phillyesq
03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Why doesn't Will Johnson get more carries? We've barely opened up Josh Harris. Or just go with Tate. They all know the system.

Just don't see why we should spend the $ on a Veteran. Get a 6th or 7th rounder in the building. A kid who is hungry.

Tate was cut in Cleveland because he was a malcontent who was unhappy with his role. I'm not sure that he is the ideal backup.

Starlifter
03-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I think there is general agreement we need a solid #2 behind bell - just to give him some rest during the game and of course insurance in case he is injured. I think many however are overlooking the strides the offensive line made this year under munchak. Their improvement was tremendous and we know this not only because of the stats - but no one has been bitching about any of them much or looking to see who else can 'play center'.

With the state of our line, the fact it's still very young and could be a solid stable unit for the next few years there is no reason for the steelers to overspend or go out and find an aging vet. of all the positions in football, RB is (in my opinion) the easiest to fill. That's not to suggest a walter payton or barry sanders are a dime a dozen - but when you have an O-line that is producing quality blocks and holes, even an average back is going to be productive. If we had had an average backup in the playoffs last year - it would have made a difference. But we didn't, we were one dimensional and we paid the price.

No, I seriously doubt the steelers will plunk down cash for a FA back. Expect another pickup in the 3rd or 4th round. They can be immediately successful if the line continues to improve. Take the ball from Ben. see the big hole. run through it. take your 5 yards. occasionally break one off.

caveman easy..........

SteelerOfDeVille
03-08-2015, 01:54 PM
No, I hope that helps.
LMAO... was gonna post the same thing