PDA

View Full Version : L.C. Greenwood & Donnie Shell are inducted in the Black College Football Hall of Fame

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2015, 03:00 PM
The Black College Football Hall of Fame (BCFHOF) announced its Class of 2015 today. Seven inductees were selected from a list of 25 Finalists who had been determined earlier by the BCFHOF Selection Committee.

The Class includes Roger Brown (University of Maryland Eastern Shore), Richard Dent (Tennessee State University), L.C. Greenwood (University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff) Ernie “Big Cat” Ladd (Grambling State University), Ken Riley (Florida A&M University), Donnie Shell (South Carolina State University) and Coach W.C. Gorden (Jackson State University).

Votes were tallied from the 13-member Selection Committee, comprised of prominent journalists, commentators and historians, as well as former NFL General Managers and executives, and from previous BCFHOF inductees to determine the Class of 2015.

Inductees will be honored at the Sixth Annual Black College Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony, Presented by the Atlanta Falcons. The event will take place at the recently opened College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, Georgia on February 28, 2015. For more information please visit www.BlackCollegeFootballHOF.org.

http://www.blackcollegefootballhof.org/releases/black-college-football-hall-of-fame-class-of-2015-announced

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Never even knew there was one. I'll have to look up whether there's a White, and/or a Hispanic HOF too. Would Franco be eligible for two out of three, "ain't bad"!

Slapstick
03-03-2015, 05:48 PM
This is the HoF for players at HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) institutions. The most famous of the HBCU is probably Grambling, but Greenwood's alma mater, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Shell's alma mater, South Carolina State, are in that group. It is more about the institution than the particular ethnicity of the player.

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Never even knew there was one. I'll have to look up whether there's a White, and/or a Hispanic HOF too. Would Franco be eligible for two out of three, "ain't bad"!

Then there would have to be an Italian HOF as well.

squidkid
03-03-2015, 09:12 PM

of course there is not

Iron City Inc.
03-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Shell came to the Steelers in 74. That 74 year was just off the charts. Somehow he wasn't drafted. Five time pro bowl player. Excellent special team player as well.

feltdizz
03-04-2015, 10:44 AM

There WAS a White HOF.. NCAA's before integration in the 1960's

Do you think HBCU's were created because Blacks wanted to be separated? The only reason it exist is because whites worked hard to exclude Blacks.

It's not like HBCU's exclude whites, I have seen white players on HBCU teams.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
There WAS a White HOF.. NCAA's before integration in the 1960's

Do you think HBCU's were created because Blacks wanted to be separated? The only reason it exist is because whites worked hard to exclude Blacks.

It's not like HBCU's exclude whites, I have seen white players on HBCU teams.

Understood, and that makes sense to me for those times. I wonder though if it is like a lot of ideas that make sense at one point in history, but maybe not for later. I could be wrong, but if "Hall of Fame for Historically White Colleges and Universities" doesn't fly (and I don't believe it does), then I feel it's a pretty high bar to hurdle to keep inducting people in the HoF for HBCU.

Just makes me think a bit ... it's possible that maybe after all that it is still no biggie to keep that active ... I'm just not sure.

Anyway, sorry for diverting ... congratulations to LC and Donny Shell!

(I was surprised to read just now that neither are in the Pro Football HOF, though both are on the Steelers All-Time team.

RIP LC ...)

feltdizz
03-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Understood, and that makes sense to me for those times. I wonder though if it is like a lot of ideas that make sense at one point in history, but maybe not for later. I could be wrong, but if "Hall of Fame for Historically White Colleges and Universities" doesn't fly (and I don't believe it does), then I feel it's a pretty high bar to hurdle to keep inducting people in the HoF for HBCU.

Just makes me think a bit ... it's possible that maybe after all that it is still no biggie to keep that active ... I'm just not sure.

Anyway, sorry for diverting ... congratulations to LC and Donny Shell!

(I was surprised to read just now that neither are in the Pro Football HOF, though both are on the Steelers All-Time team.

RIP LC ...)

It doesn't fly because whites can no longer win football games on the biggest stages without Black athletes.

but you are right, no need to divert from a good story because the word Black is in the title.

Slapstick
03-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Ah, white persecution complex...one day, you will not be missed...

skyhawk
03-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Why does this particular Hall of Fame wait 40 years to induct? wtf?

Slapstick
03-06-2015, 01:11 AM
It has only been established for 5 or 6 years.

Discipline of Steel
03-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Hall of Fames are becoming as ubiquitous as Greatest Players of All-Time

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 09:23 AM
It doesn't fly because whites can no longer win football games on the biggest stages without Black athletes.

but you are right, no need to divert from a good story because the word Black is in the title.
because allowing the media, politicians and higher learning institutions to keep us at each others throat is such a good idea.

feltdizz
03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
because allowing the media, politicians and higher learning institutions to keep us at each others throat is such a good idea.

blaming the media, politicians and "higher learning institutions...

I've heard this line of thinking before and it's usually a talking point of the far right.

Not sure how we got here...