PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Restructure Gilbert

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2015, 10:12 AM
On Twitter...And so it begins.

birtikidis
02-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one who gets annoyed that they keep pushing these issues into the future? How about signing the guy to a creative contract that won't need to get reworked one year later.

Oviedo
02-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Am I the only one who gets annoyed that they keep pushing these issues into the future? How about signing the guy to a creative contract that won't need to get reworked one year later.

You would probably be more annoyed if they couldn't free up the money to extend Ben, DeCastro, Heyward, etc. These moves are all for a reason. Plus it may allow us to get a free agent CB which means we won't have to panic in the draft.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-25-2015, 01:02 PM
According to PFT, the move will create $3.724M this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/25/steelers-restructure-marcus-gilberts-deal-for-cap-room/

phillyesq
02-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Gilbert's hit for the next few years is $6.5 until the last year of his deal, when it drops to $5.5 million. The Steelers better hope that he doesn't follow the Woodley diet.

I'm ok with the idea of some restructuring, where necessary,but you end up with some players whose cap hit is well beyond their performance.

SteelBuckeye
02-25-2015, 04:55 PM

Prepare to be really annoyed then. Because LaCanfora is reporting (via twitter) that Pouncey and Mitchell have also been restructured; creating $9.5M in cap room prior to doing anything with Troy, Cam Thomas, and Moore. Plus, if they can get Ben restructured, there "should" be some more cap room created with that move.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/steelers-restructure-contracts-of-maurkice-pouncey-mike-mitchell/

Wonder who they have on their FA radar.

Rara
02-25-2015, 04:58 PM
And Mitchell's too.

2:27pm: The Steelers have also restructured the contract for safety Mike Mitchell, reports Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (via Twitter). According to Bouchette, the two moves create a total of nearly $6.2MM in cap space, so it sounds like Mitchell’s was a simple restructure as well, converting a portion of his base salary and his entire $2MM roster bonus into a signing bonus. That would reduce his 2015 cap hit by about $2.44MM, creating total cap savings of $6,165,250 when combined with Gilbert’s restructure.

phillyesq
02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
That is more cap room than the Steelers have had in some time. And they still haven't cut Cam Thomas and Lance Moore, two very easy moves that will free up some extra cash.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Pouncey and Gilbert should be around longterm (much to the chagrin of some Gilbert haters), so I don't mind those restructures, but restructuring Mitchell now makes it more difficult to cut him next year if he shows no improvement in year two here. Hopefully he does improve significantly so this doesn't come back to bite us.

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Wonder who they have on their FA radar.

clearing cap room to re-sign Jason Worilds...:stirpot

Rara
02-25-2015, 08:25 PM
clearing cap room to re-sign Jason Worilds...:stirpot

...or Roethlisberger.

Rara
02-25-2015, 08:26 PM
That is more cap room than the Steelers have had in some time. And they still haven't cut Cam Thomas and Lance Moore, two very easy moves that will free up some extra cash.

I thought the Steelers already had agreed to letting Lance Moore go? Cam Thomas is a no-brainer. Both should be gone.

...if that happens, how much cap room do we have after those two are gone?

SteelBuckeye
02-25-2015, 09:18 PM
I thought the Steelers already had agreed to letting Lance Moore go? Cam Thomas is a no-brainer. Both should be gone.

...if that happens, how much cap room do we have after those two are gone?

Most of the salary cap tracking sites have the 2015 salary cap for the Steelers projected at $142,778,469. If the cap comes in at that number, we were $4,785,807 under the cap before the three restructures today. Assuming the reports are true and we cleared $9.5M with the restructures, we sit at around $14,285,807 under the cap. Releasing Thomas and Moore would save another $3.5M (Thomas - $2M and Moore - $1.5M). So we would be around $17,785,807 under the cap if we released them both (*w/out taking into account displacement and the "rule of 51").

*Note, I am not a "cap expert", but using the numbers found at spotrac.com, I think I'm pretty close with the numbers. However, I have not taken into account displacement and the "rule of 51". Basically, prior to the start of the regular season, only the top 51 salaries on your roster count towards the salary cap. Both Thomas and Moore are in that top 51 for us. If you release them, you still incur the cap hit for their signing bonus, but you lose the hit associated with their salary. Now, once you release them, the next highest salaries on the roster "move up" into your top 51. So, your salary cap hit then has to factor in the remaining bonus money owed Thomas and Moore "plus" the salary of the next two highest paid members of the Steelers roster.

Using displacement and the rule of 51, the next two highest paid members on the Steelers roster are in a group of players who have signed "futures contracts" worth a cap hit of $435,000 each. So their combined cap hit would be $870,00. Subtract $870,000 from the $17,785,807 and you come up with $16,915,807 in cap space after releasing Moore and Thomas. If I'm way off, someone please let me know where and how I made mistakes.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Estimated salary cap numbers can also be found at: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2015, 09:27 PM
BB & Heyward have salary cap chunks already against Rule 51. These moves IMO all relate to Worilds. Tag or deal. Let's see how it pans out.

Chadman
02-25-2015, 09:36 PM
BB & Heyward have salary cap chunks already against Rule 51. These moves IMO all relate to Worilds. Tag or deal. Let's see how it pans out.

Yeah, I'd say a deal for Worilds might be announced sooner than later..

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-25-2015, 09:58 PM
...or Roethlisberger.

Ben currently has a cap hit of $18.395M against the cap in '15. Any deal struck with him will bring that number down for next year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-25-2015, 10:00 PM
If I'm way off, someone please let me know where and how I made mistakes.

Without researching the numbers you have used, the methods you are using are correct, and the numbers are in line with what I recall.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I'd say a deal for Worilds might be announced sooner than later..

There is enough money for Worilds, all of the draft picks, and still a bunch left over. There was no reason to restructure these guys at this point if you weren't freeing up space for something in particular. A major shoe might drop.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2015, 10:16 PM
It's all over Twitter they won't tag him. Sounds like they told his camp this is good faith. Telling someone he can test the waters "if" the guy really wants to be here means the door swings both ways when FA begins. The Steelers will do their due diligence too & bring in players for a visit. Taking that into consideration...Along with the completion of the combine that solidified 5 Top 20 pass rushers...I say some agents are listening more than talking.

I think the Steelers realize they won't have a shot at the Top 5 pass rushers & will either sign Worilds or a high tier guy like Graham if they can't. They will hit the draft with starters & Draft another rounds 2-4.

legend of polamalu
02-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Is it just me or did Worilds not impress last season? I mean he was alright but 10 million plus a year? Don't know about this? The one benefit is that he does know our system. I guess.

papillon
02-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Would they have enough to sign Sheard and McPhee if they released Worilds. McPhee played a lot less snaps than Worilds he was behind Dumervil and Suggs and had 7.5 sacks the same as Worilds who was full-time. Worilds doesn't have a cap hit he was on a tag, so release him and sign two guys each a year younger and one with the same production in many less snaps.

Plus there's the added benefit of making division rivals weaker at the same time.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
02-26-2015, 02:20 AM
read that pouncey and mitchell have also been restructured

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Would they have enough to sign Sheard and McPhee if they released Worilds. McPhee played a lot less snaps than Worilds he was behind Dumervil and Suggs and had 7.5 sacks the same as Worilds who was full-time. Worilds doesn't have a cap hit he was on a tag, so release him and sign two guys each a year younger and one with the same production in many less snaps.

Plus there's the added benefit of making division rivals weaker at the same time.

Pappy

Instead of signing Sheard and McPhee, I'd just sign McPhee and then draft an OLB with one of our top few picks. Then re-sign Moats or Harrison for veteran depth. Although they are the same age, McPhee seems like an up-and-coming guy, while Sheard's productivity seems to be trailing off.

feltdizz
02-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Is it just me or did Worilds not impress last season? I mean he was alright but 10 million plus a year? Don't know about this? The one benefit is that he does know our system. I guess.

there is no way we pay him 10+ a year.. that was a one time deal when he was tagged.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Are the Steelers looking to make a splash in free agency?

By Neal Coolong on Mar 1, 2015

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/WFZKHY9tYcNovwaACP8rhdfA4-0=/7x0:2984x1985/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45795118/usa-today-8295725.0.jpg

The Steelers will stand roughly $10 million under the salary cap when a restructured contract for Maurkice Pouncey is finalized. An agent expressed curiosity at why those moves were made, if not to make a run in free agency.

An unnamed player's agent told Tribune Review reporter Mark Kaboly he's unclear on why the Steelers are clearing up cap space now, less than two weeks before the start of free agency.

"My question is, why are they clearing so much cap space now," the source said, according to Kaboly.

It seems unlikely the team restructured the contracts of Marcus Gilbert and Mike Mitchell, and will confirm a restructured contract of Maurkice Pouncey this week, because they felt the need to give the players cash to fuel their offseason's activities.

One might argue they did it in order to get above the spending floor as mandated by the collective bargaining agreement. The Steelers were one of 10 teams on pace to finish next season below the required 89 percent cap spending threshold. If that was the reason, it would suggest the team isn't expecting to sign quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to an extension before the start of the league year.

Kaboly's article hints at the possibility of the team preparing to make a splash in free agency. As he noted, the Steelers will have more cap space heading into free agency than they've had "in recent memory." That's a fair suggestion, especially considering the restructures came before the release of any player, which are expected to happen before free agency.

Wide receiver Lance Moore is assured of a release, which will shave another $1.5 million off the cap. A decision will likely be made between Brett Keisel ($1.75 million saved, $250,000 dead) and Cam Thomas ($2 million saved, $500,000 dead). The Steelers wouldn't save much by releasing Troy Polamalu before June 1, but a post-June 1 release (the player's contract is terminated immediately, leaving him free to sign elsewhere, but the salary is held against the cap until June 2), $6 million would be lifted off the cap in time to sign draft picks.

Typically, and by general manager's usual statement each offseason, the Steelers will sign their own pending free agents first. That list includes outside linebacker Jason Worilds, who reportedly will not be signed before free agency begins. He may still return, but it doesn't seem likely, considering the need for experienced pass rushers across the league.

Arthur Moats, Brice McCain and Matt Spaeth are likely to be offered new contracts, given the Steelers' lack of depth at their respective positions. After those moves, even if the top cut candidates are released, it doesn't seem like the Steelers would have enough space available to make a big signing.

It doesn't have to be a signing of massive proportions, though. They signed Mitchell to a five-year, $25 million deal on the first day of free agency last year. If they see a player of that variety available - typically young and experienced players are their targets - they may make a move.

Expect the Steelers to release a few players this week and perhaps sign a few others. The cuts can probably be predicted, but the signings may hold with them more intrigue.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-free-agency-news-rumors-signings-2015-steelers/2015/3/1/8129311/are-the-steelers-looking-to-make-a-splash-in-free-agency