PDA

View Full Version : Steelers not expected to bring back Ike Taylor

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Steelers not expected to bring back Ike Taylor

Submitted by Dana Draper on January 27, 2015

http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/images_3091.jpg

According to Larry Hartstein of CBSSports.com, the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to pass on re-signing soon to be free agent cornerback Ike Taylor.

Taylor, 34, sustained several injuries during the 2014 and had 16 tackles in five games.

The cornerback has been with the Steelers for his entire 12-year career.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_not_expected_to_bring_back_ike_taylor/18163457?linksrc=story_team_pittsburgh_steelers_au to_module_head_18163457

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-28-2015, 03:21 PM
It is time. Glad he was a Steeler until the end.

phillyesq
01-28-2015, 03:27 PM
It is time. Glad he was a Steeler until the end.

I agree with both statements.

I hope that Ike remains involved in the team in some capacity, but not as a player.

legend of polamalu
01-28-2015, 04:13 PM
He was a solid #2 CB.

That should tell you how our secondary has been of late.
Don't think we have had a solid #1 shutdown corner for a long time now.

Rara
01-28-2015, 04:19 PM
It was only a matter of time...finally has happened. He played with swag but age and time caught up to him. Maybe he can retire and come back as an assistant secondary coach like Porter with the linebackers.

feltdizz
01-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Troy should be next...

Love you pal, but it's time.

phillyesq
01-28-2015, 04:27 PM
He was a solid #2 CB.

That should tell you how our secondary has been of late.
Don't think we have had a solid #1 shutdown corner for a long time now.

Look at the work that Ike did against guys like Chad Johnson and even AJ Green. Ike was absolutely a #1 CB; he couldn't catch or get turnovers, but he routinely covered the oppponent's #1 and did a great job until age caught up with him.

legend of polamalu
01-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Look at the work that Ike did against guys like Chad Johnson and even AJ Green. Ike was absolutely a #1 CB; he couldn't catch or get turnovers, but he routinely covered the oppponent's #1 and did a great job until age caught up with him.

To me he did do this, but for a year or two. He was to inconsistent to be a conisidered a shut down corner over the length of his career. He will be missed though.

7 UP
01-28-2015, 04:59 PM
It sad that the final image we had of Ike was him getting absolutely torched by AJ Green. When you stay to long, you end up tarnishing your own legacy. I hope Troy gets out now before he has to suffer a similar tarnishing.

Shawn
01-28-2015, 05:07 PM
He didn't "tarnish" his legacy. It happens to nearly every great player eventually.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2015, 05:13 PM
To me he did do this, but for a year or two. He was to inconsistent to be a conisidered a shut down corner over the length of his career. He will be missed though.

He was the best we've had since Rod Woodson by far. We were spoiled with a couple of great corners like Blount and Woodson in previous decades, but it says a lot about Ike that he is likely the Steelers 3rd best CB of all time, behind a couple of All Time Greats in league history.

Oviedo
01-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Next man up!

7 UP
01-28-2015, 05:31 PM
He didn't "tarnish" his legacy. It happens to nearly every great player eventually.

Ike gave up 200 yards receiving to the guy he was supposed to lock down. Something tells me thats not the way Ike wanted his career to end. Ike was a class act his whole career. He was a role model for his city, and for his teammates. Ike gave everything he had to the people who put faith in him. That was not the ending Ike deserved. I feel bad for Ike. I feel bad that someone like Ike who took full advantage of his opportunity, to have it end that way.

birtikidis
01-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Ike gave up 200 yards receiving to the guy he was supposed to lock down. Something tells me thats not the way Ike wanted his career to end. Ike was a class act his whole career. He was a role model for his city, and for his teammates. Ike gave everything he had to the people who put faith in him. That was not the ending Ike deserved. I feel bad for Ike. I feel bad that someone like Ike who took full advantage of his opportunity, to have it end that way.
Having a bad game doesn't tarnish your legacy. Cheating on the other hand does. If he were consistently failing drug screens and using PEDs then yea, that'd tarnish his legacy. Same as doctoring footballs and videotaping other teams signals does. Ike never did any of that, so nothing is tarnished. there won't a * next to Ike's name.

7 UP
01-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Having a bad game doesn't tarnish your legacy. Cheating on the other hand does. If he were consistently failing drug screens and using PEDs then yea, that'd tarnish his legacy. Same as doctoring footballs and videotaping other teams signals does. Ike never did any of that, so nothing is tarnished. there won't a * next to Ike's name.

Yeah, I agree with you. And to think Ike never had the same physical talent that certain other players are blessed with. He was all work ethic. It would have been easy for him to go down a wrong path. Instead he worked his arse off and became the best player, and role model he can be. I have a great deal of respect for a player(person) such as this.

legend of polamalu
01-28-2015, 06:21 PM
He was the best we've had since Rod Woodson by far. We were spoiled with a couple of great corners like Blount and Woodson in previous decades, but it says a lot about Ike that he is likely the Steelers 3rd best CB of all time, behind a couple of All Time Greats in league history.
Maybe top 7 of all time. Not top 3. Thought Blount was a Safety. What about Donnie Shell. Jack Butler, Carnell Lake and of course Woodson.

buccoray61
01-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Not bad for a fourth round pick who was considered a project. A lot of guys would trade careers with him in a heartbeat

SteelerOfDeVille
01-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with you. And to think Ike never had the same physical talent that certain other players are blessed with. He was all work ethic. It would have been easy for him to go down a wrong path. Instead he worked his arse off and became the best player, and role model he can be. I have a great deal of respect for a player(person) such as this.
Meh... thinking he was clocked at sub 4.3... that's why they took a chance on him as a project... he had MEGA talent, but, no experience... iirc, was a RB in college initially.

Having said all that, those talking AJ Green torching him -- AJ did that to most peeps... For their careers, however, Ike dominated AJ. Just sayin

SteelerOfDeVille
01-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Troy should be next...

Love you pal, but it's time.
This one has me head scratchin... When DL was let go, I wondered if Ike and Troy would also be released/unsigned. Troy, I struggle with. Honesltly, hoping he retires and does it on his own.

AzStillers1989
01-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Love Ike really enjoyed the swag he played with. He was great representation of a blue collar guy. Will miss him. Hope he stays with the organization like PEEZY did. And for all those who say he couldn't catch.... Well I don't disagree however there was one catch I remember being pretty huge....

Iron City Inc.
01-28-2015, 08:57 PM
He had game. Know he is close to Mr Rooney. Hope he lands some type of position with us.

NorthCoast
01-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Bad games happen. On the other hand what about 2012 first PIT-CIN game, AJ Green 1 rec for 8 yds, 2nd game Ike is out and Allen allows Green 10 for >100 yds.

Ike would be great as a coach for the young guys,.. a training maniac.

birtikidis
01-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Maybe top 7 of all time. Not top 3. Thought Blount was a Safety. What about Donnie Shell. Jack Butler, Carnell Lake and of course Woodson.
Blount was a corner. Probably the best ever. Shell and Lake were safeties, though Lake played a season and a half at corner. Butler was probably #3 on the list as a corner but then he didn't play in the league when passing was so prolific. Shell should be in the HOF. ridiculous actually.

bostonsteeler
01-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Meh... thinking he was clocked at sub 4.3... that's why they took a chance on him as a project... he had MEGA talent, but, no experience... iirc, was a RB in college initially.

Having said all that, those talking AJ Green torching him -- AJ did that to most peeps... For their careers, however, Ike dominated AJ. Just sayin

He was super fast, but raw. Got benched a couple of time early on (didn't Tomlin bench him once too? Or do I misremember?). Didn't have much by way of skill, just raw speed.
DL made him a super Corner.

Ike dominated AJ right until 2012. Its only in the past couple of years that Ike has slowed down. He's one of my favorite guys on the team -- a total team player, intelligent, dignified, everything a Steeler should be. If only he could also catch..

phillyesq
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Love Ike really enjoyed the swag he played with. He was great representation of a blue collar guy. Will miss him. Hope he stays with the organization like PEEZY did. And for all those who say he couldn't catch.... Well I don't disagree however there was one catch I remember being pretty huge....

Good point. His INT in the SB against Seattle was huge. He saved his turnovers for the playoffs; 3 INTs in 14 career playoff games.

papillon
01-29-2015, 12:00 PM
If this does happen and Ike isn't brought back I hope he hangs em up. I know its difficult for these guys to stop doing what they love at such a young age, but such is the nature of the game. Ike has been one of my favorites for a long time, actually surpassing nearly all Steeler secondary players except Mel. I'd hate to see him in another uni for one year doing little or nothing similar to Franco. Ike, call it a career, come back on a one day contract and take your final bow, Steelernation will miss you, at least, this member of Steelernation will miss you.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-29-2015, 12:49 PM
If this does happen and Ike isn't brought back I hope he hangs em up. I know its difficult for these guys to stop doing what they love at such a young age, but such is the nature of the game. Ike has been one of my favorites for a long time, actually surpassing nearly all Steeler secondary players except Mel. I'd hate to see him in another uni for one year doing little or nothing similar to Franco. Ike, call it a career, come back on a one day contract and take your final bow, Steelernation will miss you, at least, this member of Steelernation will miss you.

Pappy

While NFL players are technically young when they retire most of them have pretty much been playing this game since they were 10 or 11.

papillon
01-29-2015, 01:12 PM
While NFL players are technically young when they retire most of them have pretty much been playing this game since they were 10 or 11.

Yea, I know they've played a long time, but just as an example, our oldest son is a senior in high school and has been playing soccer and lacrosse since he was 7 or 8 and he thought that once his high school days were done he would only play in recreational leagues if at all. Then the finality of his final soccer game hit him and he decided that he's going to continue playing at the next level, because he isn't ready to give up the competitiveness of organized games. It also helps that a few of the local colleges were interested in having him play and made contact with him to come and visit their campus.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Well youngster, Blount was a Pro Bowl CB. He was so dominant the NFL changed the rules on how a CB could physically engage the WR to counter how dominant Blount was...hence the Blount rule.

Saftties on the Super Bowl teams were Mike Wagner, Glen "Cheapshot" Edwards and Donnie Shell. Blount never was a Safety

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2015, 04:08 PM
dont know why you felt the need to call glen edwards "cheapshot"

he played within the rules of his time

feltdizz
01-29-2015, 04:19 PM

Ovi is probably still mad at him because he didn't finish his career with the Steelers :D

Sword
01-29-2015, 05:20 PM
swag tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iB99buS9IQ

Oviedo
01-29-2015, 07:14 PM

I say it with admiration. He use to be the ultimate headhunter.

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2015, 11:07 AM
I say it with admiration. He use to be the ultimate headhunter.

And I guess since he played back when those particular shots weren't fined for more money than most families make in a year, that is where the "cheap" part comes from. ;)

hawaiiansteel
02-10-2015, 12:04 AM
AFC North potential free agents

Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2015

Free agency begins on March 10. All potential unrestricted and restricted free agents for the AFC North teams appear below. Information comes from NFLPA records and other sources. If you think we’ve missed anyone, let us know.]

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/afc-north-2.jpg?w=250

Baltimore Ravens: cornerback Antoine Cason, long snapper Morgan Cox, tight end Owen Daniels, running back Justin Forsett, cornerback Danny Gorrer, defensive end Lawrence Guy, defensive end Pernell McPhee, safety Jeromy Miles, guard Will Rackley, tackle Jah Reid, cornerback Aaron Ross, receiver Torrey Smith, safety Darian Stewart, quarterback Tyrod Taylor, defensive end Christo Bilukidi (RFA), safety Will Hill (RFA), kicker Justin Tucker (RFA).

Cincinnati Bengals: guard Clint Boling, quarterback Jason Campbell, tight end Jermaine Gresham, linebacker Rey Maualuga, safety Taylor Mays, tackle Marshall Newhouse, cornerback Terence Newman, kicker Mike Nugent, running back Cedric Peerman, receiver Dane Sanzenbacher, tight end Alex Smith, receiver Brandon Tate, tackle Eric Winston, linebacker Emmanuel Lamur (RFA), defensive tackle Devon Still (RFA).

Cleveland Browns: receiver Miles Austin, tight end Jordan Cameron, defensive tackle Sione Fua, quarterback Brian Hoyer, safety Jim Loenhard, receiver Marlon Moore, defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin, linebacker Jabaal Sheard, cornerback Buster Skrine, quarterback Tyler Thigpen, running back Shaun Draughn (RFA), safety Tashaun Gipson (RFA), defensive tackle Ishmaa’ily Kitchen (RFA), linebacker Craig Robertson (RFA), tight end Andre Smith (RFA).

Pittsburgh Steelers: safety Will Allen, defensive end Clifton Geathers, linebacker James Harrison, receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, cornerback Brice McCain, linebacker Arthur Moats, tight end Michael Palmer, tight end Matt Spaeth, running back Ben Tate, cornerback Ike Taylor, long snapper Greg Warren (re-signed), linebacker Jason Worilds, cornerback Antwon Blake (RFA), safety Robert Golden (RFA), fullback Will Johnson (RFA).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...free-agents-3/

hawaiiansteel
02-12-2015, 02:20 AM
Mike Mayock's position rankings for 2015 NFL Draft

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Feb. 11, 2015

Cornerback

1. Trae Waynes, Michigan State
2. Marcus Peters, Washington
3. Jalen Collins, LSU
4. P.J. Williams, Florida State
5. Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470108/article/mike-mayocks-position-rankings-for-2015-nfl-draft

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Ike Taylor has accepted that he might be done playing

Posted by Nick Mensio on March 23, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT

Cornerback Ike Taylor was now-former defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s top cover man during the Steelers’ most-recent Super Bowl runs in the mid-2000s.

Age has caught up to Taylor, however, and he’s truly been one of the most-victimized cornerbacks over the past couple seasons, getting burned at will on the outside. The Steelers were forced to bench him in Week 14 last season, two games after returning from a broken forearm that forced Taylor to miss eight games.

Now the soon-to-be 35-year-old seems to know his playing days are likely over after he hasn’t drawn a sniff of interest on the free-agent market, not even from LeBeau’s cornerback-desperate Titans.

Taylor said he’s now pursuing possibilities in the television business with NFL Network and NFL Films. It’s the same path Taylor’s former defensive-back teammate, Ryan Clark, has chosen since announcing his retirement earlier this offseason after spending the 2014 season with the Redskins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/23/ike-taylor-has-accepted-that-he-might-be-done-playing/

Captain Lemming
03-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Good point. His INT in the SB against Seattle was huge. He saved his turnovers for the playoffs; 3 INTs in 14 career playoff games.

Ike was our Peyton Manning.

Few interceptions in the regular season but come playoff time........

The bigger the game, the more likely you'd see an INTERCEPTION. :)

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Steelers Put CB Cortez Allen On Right Side In Nickel At Start Of OTAs

While it’s still a little bit too early to write the Pittsburgh Steelers depth chart in pen as we sit here in May, we are already starting to get a glimpse as to how a few things might shake out in the secondary now that cornerback Ike Taylor has retired and Cortez Allen is back healthy...

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/steelers-put-cb-cortez-allen-on-right-side-in-nickel-at-start-of-otas/

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Fri Jun. 12, 2015

Ike Taylor in Retirement: ‘Take the GPS Off and Put the Wi-Fi On’

The loquacious former Steeler on his dual post-football career paths, pay-per-view conversations with coaches and why Troy Polamalu is named in his will

By Jenny Vrentas

There was a point during the 2014 football season when Ike Taylor realized his 12th NFL season would be his last. The veteran cornerback officially announced his retirement in April, a few days after Troy Polamalu—his teammate since the Steelers drafted them both in 2003—did the same. So far, Taylor has found plenty to do in retirement: He’ll be a coaching intern with the Steelers through training camp, and last week, he attended the NFL’s Broadcast Boot Camp at NFL Films in New Jersey.

“I’m going to leave both of those doors open,” Taylor says of coaching and broadcasting, “and if I can go through both doors, I’m going to see if I can split my body in half.” In a conversation with The MMQB, Taylor had plenty to say about his transition to life after football, how much he loves Troy Polamalu and the man who will replace Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh, new defensive coordinator Keith Butler.

VRENTAS: Now that your NFL career is over, what appeals to you about sports broadcasting?

TAYLOR: About six years ago I really took interest in it. Just delivering information, really getting in depth with it. People think it’s just a walk in the park. The good guys make it look easy on TV, but when you sit down and talk to them, you understand it’s a lot of work. I’m talking about the James Browns, guys who have been doing it for 30-plus years, so there’s a reason why they are making it look easy. But it’s like any other job. You’ve got to be dedicated, you’ve got to be willing to put the work in, and on TV, you’ve got to know what you are talking about. What I have learned from this boot camp is that it’s all about credibility. Your name, your information is going to be as good or as bad as you make it, depending on the way you deliver it and the information you give out to people and fans.

VRENTAS: Are you currently exploring any broadcast opportunities for the 2015 season?

TAYLOR: I would love to. It’s just a matter of time and who wants me. It’s a long line waiting [for these jobs], and I’m sure they see guys come and go—so have I in the football world. It’s about the people who really want to dedicate and put the time into it, and I’m one of those guys. I’m one of those team guys, one of those selfless guys, so time will tell. I always believe timing is everything, so when the time is right, I’ll get my shot.

VRENTAS: What have the first few months of retirement felt like for you?

TAYLOR: My transition has been kind of smooth. During the season it will really show and tell for me on how I feel, because my body is so used to getting ready for training camp, and now that’s not happening anymore. But, mentally, last year when I got hurt [with a broken forearm], I kind of prepared myself during the season on whether I wanted to play or not. And what determined that was my young guys: the Antwon Blakes, the William Gays, the Brice McCains, the Cortez Allens. When I enjoyed seeing them getting better as men and as players on the field more than me actually going back out there and playing, I knew it was time to hang the cleats up. Then once Troy [Polamalu] made it official, I kind of made it official, too, because we came in together. I look at it like, we come in together, and we’re leaving together. But when it got to that point during the season, my mind was already kind of made up. Guys are retiring now in the offseason because they have had a few months to think about it, and I’m sure it’s hard. I had a jumpstart on those guys because I was kind of thinking about that during the season. It just hit me. I wasn’t thinking about it, and then all of sudden, it was like, “Man, I’m done.” Everybody said, “You’ve got two at least, three more good years.” Nah, I understand what you are all saying, but I’m done. And I’m sure a lot of people thought I was playing until they actually saw that announcement, and they realized, damn, he’s for real.

That transition, I see for a lot of guys, is hard, because you are not the man anymore. You’re not on the pedestal anymore. There are no more VIP services. So I see why a lot of guys can’t make that transition. But I’ve never been The Man. From my standpoint, if you just ask guys who have played with Troy—who is a future Hall of Famer—he was Michael Jackson and we were The Jackson 5. We knew our role. We knew how special of a guy he was, so we understood that. When you’ve got guys who can put their egos aside, and they just so happen to be pro athletes, it makes it easier for their transition when you step out of the league. That’s why my transition has been kind of easy. My son and my lady, spending time with my family, that’s the joy I get every day.

VRENTAS: You take a lot of pride in having only played for one NFL franchise. Now that you are retired, have you had the chance to reflect on how rare that is?

TAYLOR: Just listening to other guys on other teams, now I really appreciate that. At the time, that was just my loyalty. If I have a weakness, loyalty is my weakness. Once I am loyal to something or someone, I’m 10 toes in regardless of what the situation is. I had veteran guys when I was a rookie tell me, “Ike, the grass ain’t always greener. You’re going to have some contract situations where you’ll probably get paid more if you go somewhere else. But one thing you can have here with the Pittsburgh Steelers is stability.” And if you look at life in general, the heck with football, if you can just have some stability in life, it’s going to take you a long way. I’m glad I did stay for 12 years in Pittsburgh. I had two opportunities to leave. Two. My contract in 2006, and my contract in 2010. And I’m so glad I didn’t.

VRENTAS: You have been back working with the Steelers’ secondary during OTAs as a coaching intern. What has that been like?

TAYLOR: Passion. I’m in the game, but I’m not in the game. I thank Coach T [Mike Tomlin] because he doesn’t have to say, “Yeah Ike, you can come back and intern.” He could tell me no. But he knows what I bring. I’m a personable person. I get along with everybody. I’ve always been a team guy. I don’t mind starting from the bottom and working my way up. I understand the process. But my thing is, if I can help one guy on that team—just one guy, and it doesn’t even have to be my position—make that transition from college, or make that transition from being a good player to a great player, on and off the field, that’s my joy right there.

VRENTAS: How do you coach players to make that transition?

TAYLOR: Some guys are self-motivated. Some guys you’ve got to put motivation in them. As a coach you can’t control what kind of guys you have, but you can control their productivity, the way they learn the game and how they prepare for the game.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2015, 02:02 PM
VRENTAS: The Steelers’ defense has had a lot of departures in the same year. You. Polamalu. Dick LeBeau. Where will that unit get its new identity?

TAYLOR: Coach Keith Butler. My mindset on Coach Keith Butler was totally different. Like, Coach Keith Butler, man, he’s a linebacker. He was a second-round linebacker from Seattle, and he had nothing but Pro Bowlers come through Pittsburgh, so I’m like, time will tell. But actually sitting down in his meetings and actually having time to grade players, trying to help players during the OTAs and seeing his mindset, I’m like man, Coach Butler, you really shocked the heck out of me. I liked you before, I’m not going to say I love you now, but we’re getting close. He’s got a mind out of this world. But of course, he did wait his turn. He sat, he put the years in, he put the time in, and I think this year you’re going to see a good defense for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

VRENTAS: You weren’t initially sure about what to expect from Keith Butler as a defensive coordinator?

TAYLOR: The one thing I have learned about Coach Keith and our relationship is we are brutally honest with each other. So from a player to a coach perspective, our relationship was kind of odd, because we could say things to each other that probably a player and a coach shouldn’t say to each other. But now, since I’m on the other side of the fence, it’s even better. The respect level, he values my opinions and my thoughts, and of course I’m going to value his opinions and his thoughts.

VRENTAS: What’s the most brutally honest thing he ever told you as a player?

TAYLOR: We’d have to put that on pay-per-view.

VRENTAS: How tough of a task is it following Dick LeBeau?

TAYLOR: Man, it’s hard going behind a Hall of Famer. But at the same time, when an opportunity knocks, why not try to do or do better than what a Hall of Famer did, especially after sitting under him for all those years?

VRENTAS: How weird is it for you seeing LeBeau in Tennessee now?

TAYLOR: As long as Dicky is happy, I’m happy. That’s what we call him, Dicky. Dicky is a living legend. Dicky is one of my alltime favorites. There is no smoother, more charming, cooler, Jesus-walking-on-earth (other-than-Troy-Polamalu) than Dick LeBeau. He’s one of a kind. The man has a CD. Can pretty much play any instrument you want him to play. He just so happened to act back in the day. He was in Detroit in the time of Motown. We call him white chocolate. Like, he’s just that guy. I don’t care how old he is, he’s just that guy. If you want to play him in pool, he’s gonna get you. And if you want to play him in cards, he’s going to win. And if you want to play him in golf, you’re wasting your time. His legend ain’t going nowhere. Because don’t forget, he still has one of his puppies, Ray Horton, who grew under Coach LeBeau and now he’s the defensive coordinator over there in Tennessee.

VRENTAS: You and Troy navigated your playing careers together. How have you navigated retirement together?

TAYLOR: Take the GPS off and put the Wi-Fi on. That’s how you navigate it. We couldn’t have scripted it better. Well, we didn’t even script it, it just happened. I was going to retire regardless. I didn’t know when Troy was going to retire. But I told myself, when Troy makes his retirement, I would make mine. That’s my loyalty toward Troy. The man is in my will, so that’s letting you know how I feel towards him.

VRENTAS: He’s literally in your will?

TAYLOR: Yes.

VRENTAS: What are you leaving to him?

TAYLOR: I can’t say that. You tried, though.

VRENTAS: When did you put him in your will?

TAYLOR: Years ago. Years. Years. That’s how I feel about the man. Words can’t really describe it. It’s an unusual bond. And I appreciate that. Like, I look up to that man. I’m older than him, but I look up to him. So that lets you know how I feel about him.

VRENTAS: You’ve always talked about your close relationship with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney. What advice did he give you for the next phase of your life?

TAYLOR: He didn’t talk about it. He showed it. He’s a Hall of Fame owner, a guy who truly and genuinely cares about his players—I’m talking about a players-first atmosphere. His door is always open unless he’s doing a business call. There is no appointment to see Mr. Dan Rooney. There is no appointment to see Mr. Art Rooney. Doors are always open. I can’t speak for other organizations and say there are appointments or there are not appointments, but when you can just walk into an owner’s office and have a basic conversation, I feel like that’s special.

VRENTAS: Based on your experience matching up with receivers around the league, who do you think will be the best receiver in the NFL in 2015?

TAYLOR: I still keep him at the throne: Antonio Brown. There are a lot of talented guys in the league, but I can’t name one talented guy who works just as hard with that kind of talent as Antonio Brown.

VRENTAS: After 12 years with the Steelers, what legacy do you think you left behind?

TAYLOR: Old-school, hard-nosed, hard-working, blue-collar sonofagun that was an unselfish teammate and all he cared about was his teammates and treating people with respect.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/12/ike-taylor-pittsburgh-steelers-retirement-troy-polamalu/

BradshawsHairdresser
06-15-2015, 03:47 PM
How dare Ike disrespect LeBeau by calling him "Dicky".:D

papillon
06-15-2015, 04:18 PM

I wondered who would be the first to say something, my money wouldn't have been on you BHD. :p

Pappy

Rara
06-15-2015, 05:26 PM
ruh roh...

Slapstick
06-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Meh, Ike isn't a douchebag...

birtikidis
06-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Meh, Ike isn't a douchebag...
When you have a relationship with someone you can give them a nickname.
If your relationship goes only as far as your fingers touching your crusty (you know what you what the internet is for) keyboard, you don't have that right.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Got me to thinking about some of the nicknames for Steelers from over the years. Don't know where they all came from. Some doubtless came from fans, but others maybe from players or coaches:

"Frenchy" Fuqua
"Mean" Joe Greene
Dwight "hands of" Stone
"Korky" -- Kordell Stewart
"Potsie" -- James Farrior
"Deebo, Silverback" -- James Harrison
"Fast" Willie Parker
"Big" Ben Roethlisberger
"Fu," "Bad Ma'afala" -- Chris (not going to try to spell his last name)
"Plexiglass," "Plexipunk" -- Plaxico Burress
"Santokio" -- Santonio Holmes
"Dookie," "The Dump Truck" -- Najeh Davenport
"The Bus" -- Jerome Bettis
"The Jaw," "The Chin," "The Coward," "Marty Jr." -- Bill Cowher
"Airhead" -- Bruce Arians
"Whizinator" -- Ken Whisenhunt
"The Colon" -- Willie Colon
"Fats" -- Ernie Holmes

Those are a few that come to my foggy mind this morning...what are some that y'all can remember?

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Stewart is certainly known more as "Slash" than "Korky"

What about Alvin "Bud" Dupree? Evander "Ziggy" Hood? Ivan "Ike" Taylor? Joey "Peezy" Porter? Greg "Just Plain Nasty" Lloyd?

In addition to Deebo and Silverback, Harrison also has Jimmy Hate, so he may be the leader in the clubhouse for nicknames.

Oviedo
06-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Got me to thinking about some of the nicknames for Steelers from over the years. Don't know where they all came from. Some doubtless came from fans, but others maybe from players or coaches:

"Frenchy" Fuqua
"Mean" Joe Greene
Dwight "hands of" Stone
"Fast" Willie Parker
"Big" Ben Roethlisberger
"Fats" -- Ernie Holmes

Those are a few that come to my foggy mind this morning...what are some that y'all can remember?

LC "Shoes" Greenwood IIRC

Jack "Dracula" Lambert

Jack "Dobre Shunka" Ham

BradshawsHairdresser
06-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Forgot that Kordell was "Slash" before he became exclusively a QB.

Discipline of Steel
06-16-2015, 11:29 AM

"Frenchy" Fuqua
"Mean" Joe Greene
Dwight "hands of" Stone
"Fast" Willie Parker
"Big" Ben Roethlisberger
"Fats" -- Ernie Holmes

Jack Lambert...The Intimidator

Oviedo
06-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Ike Taylor-"Stone hands" or "No hands"

Slapstick
06-16-2015, 11:44 AM
For nicknames, are we including those that exist solely on message boards? Or actual nicknames that are used in real life?

Because Potsie and Deebo are actually used....Korkie and Stone Hands are message board contrivances...

papillon
06-16-2015, 12:16 PM
From my recollection these are actual nicknames used for these players during their playing days.

Dwight White - Mad Dog
LC Greenwood - Hollywood Bags
Glen Edwards - Pine
Dennis Winston - Dirt
Jack Ham - Dobre Shunka
Mike Webster - Iron Mike
Casey Hampton - Big Snack
Jack Lambert - Jack Splat (I recall Myron Cope, Bill Hillgrove and other Pgh media pundits using this one the most, there were others)
Art Rooney - The Chief
Chuck Noll - The Emperor (Man he hated that name)
James Harrison - Deebo and my personal favorite Silverback

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Dermontti Dawson was also Dirt. Ray Mansfield was Ranger.

papillon
06-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Dermontti Dawson was also Dirt. Ray Mansfield was Ranger.

I knew Mansfield had a nickname and couldn't remember it, completely forgot about Dawson being "Dirt" as well. Good catches

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
06-16-2015, 03:18 PM
For nicknames, are we including those that exist solely on message boards? Or actual nicknames that are used in real life?

Since some nicknames put out there by sports writers and fans "stick," I think we ought to include all sources.

And if the nicknames are used exclusively on message boards? Aren't they still being used in "real life"--the real lives of some people who follow the game?

Slapstick
06-16-2015, 05:35 PM
No. A message board has nothing much to do with real life. I could refer to a random poster as "Dark Lord of the Douchebags" and some people may even pick up on it, but that doesn't make it a real nickname.

Discipline of Steel
06-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Check out this article that came up researching the Dobre Shunka fan club....
This 1970s perspective is markedly different from todays NFL....talking about a guy who called 'all the way from the west coast' because he wanted to see the Steelers on TV.
Just WOW

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2199&dat=19721130&id=wCsyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1-cFAAAAIBAJ&pg=7020,4542829&hl=en

Looks like the 'Ike' Taylor thread has diverged....we need a separate thread for Steeler nicknames!

BradshawsHairdresser
06-16-2015, 06:14 PM
No. A message board has nothing much to do with real life. I could refer to a random poster as "Dark Lord of the Douchebags" and some people may even pick up on it, but that doesn't make it a real nickname.

So if a given player's nickname originates with fans on a message board, it isn't "real," it has nothing to do with "real life," even if it grows in useage and becomes widely adopted by fans and sportswriters and even players?

Also, why would you "refer to a random poster" by the same nickname that everyone else on the board uses to refer to you?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke. ;))

Slapstick
06-16-2015, 08:18 PM
So if a given player's nickname originates with fans on a message board, it isn't "real," it has nothing to do with "real life," even if it grows in useage and becomes widely adopted by fans and sportswriters and even players?

Also, why would you "refer to a random poster" by the same nickname that everyone else on the board uses to refer to you?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke. ;))

Ah. Well, in that case, assuming that ever actually somehow happened, I suppose I could change my mind.

But, "Korkie" and "Hands of Stone" aren't nicknames and don't even fit that criteria...

fordfixer
06-16-2015, 09:31 PM
LC "Shoes" Greenwood IIRC

Jack "Dracula" Lambert

Jack "Dobre Shunka" Ham

That was "Dracula in cleats " Wasn't it?

And "Dobra Shunka" Literally translated from Hungarian as "Good Ham," That's some funny stuff right there :D

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Taylor: 'It’s a whole different world'

Posted 15 minutes ago

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

Former CB Ike Taylor is giving coaching a shot.

The Steelers first minicamp walk-thru was just finishing up, and Ike Taylor stood alongside Coach Mike Tomlin, talking to him and taking in as much as he could as the knowledge shared is invaluable.

It’s a sight that’s been commonplace over the last month, as Taylor has been working with the Steelers’ coaching staff during OTAs and minicamp, getting a feel for what it would be like to take that next step in football.

“It’s a whole different world,” said Taylor. “My boss is still Coach Tomlin. Just sitting in the meetings with the coaches, listening a lot, writing down a lot of notes, and every blue moon I will put my two cents in.

“At the same time it’s just good to be around the guys. The transition for me has been real smooth. It’s another phase in my life. I have to work myself from the bottom and try to get to the top.”

Taylor retired from the NFL back in April after playing all 12 seasons with the Steelers. He has begun to pursue a career in broadcasting, doing work for NFL Network and attending the NFL’s Broadcast Boot Camp.

But getting into coaching, working with the players, it’s something that interests him and when the opportunity arose, he had to give it a shot.

“It you just look at it from a coaching standpoint, this window is super small,” said Taylor. “I am able to come in right now as soon as I retire and sit in his staff meetings, understand how he works, understand what the coaches think, understand just how to get the team better. I thought I can do broadcasting, hopefully that window will be there. But this coaching window is a short window so I might as well take advantage of it.”

Taylor said he already has gained a wealth of knowledge about the coaching business, but one thing he really learned, was that coaching has no set hours.

“There is no clock,” said Taylor. “Some days you might get out at 5 o’clock. Other days you might get out at 10 or 12. Coach T said it best. I came in to one of the meetings my first day with a couple cups of coffee and I was like this is going to be a long one. He straight told me we get paid off of wins and losses, not the time, so whatever time you need to put in. Some days are going to be shorter than others, just understand we are in this business to win and make these guys better. Once he told me that, from day one I was like, okay, I know what time it is.”

Overall it’s been an interesting transition for Taylor, since last year during minicamp he was a player, and now he is helping some of his former teammates as well as players new to the team.

“They always called me the big brother before,” said Taylor. “They are getting confused if they should call me Coach Ike or Ike or big bro. It’s been fun just watching these young guys grow, not only on the field, but off the field. That is what’s really important to me. Just watching people grow, people flourish, become boys to men means a lot to me.

“One of my goals is to help this organization out and this team out as much as possible, but if I could just get one guy to progress on and off the field, from being a boy to a professional, and a boy to a man. I just want to get one guy and try to change his life.”

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Article/05_May/Taylor_05282015_Article_1.jpg

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Taylor-It’s-a-whole-different-world/4c577970-1d68-4d1c-bf79-0b6778069dd0

BradshawsHairdresser
06-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Just don't be trying to teach anyone how to catch the ball.

brazilsteel
06-17-2015, 10:00 PM

Teach? How is he going to teach something he doesn't know how to do?

BradshawsHairdresser
06-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Teach? How is he going to teach something he doesn't know how to do?
That's my point.

RuthlessBurgher
06-18-2015, 09:09 AM

http://motivationturnedsideways.thecomicseries.com/images/comics/13e3a6d5891fa9c61f777e51932c28091914235559.jpg