PDA

View Full Version : Art II: Improving Steelers' pass rush is priority

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Art Rooney II: Improving Steelers' pass rush is priority

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Jan. 24, 2015

The Pittsburgh Steelers' main focus on defense this offseason is improving their pass rush.

After coach Mike Tomlin and new defensive coordinator Keith Butler each addressed the issue this offseason, team president Art Rooney II underscored the point this week.

"We need to be able to pressure the quarterback more consistently," Rooney said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I think that as a defense, we've got to get more sacks and put more pressure on the quarterback. That's a key piece of the puzzle we have to look at as we build this defense going into next year."

The Steelers' pass rush has fallen off precipitously the past two seasons, which allowed quarterbacks to pick apart a banged-up and aging secondary. Pittsburgh's 33 sacks were the team's fewest in more than a quarter century and put them 26th in the NFL, a year after being tied for 25th with just 34 sacks.

According to the Tribune-Review, Steelers coaches tracked just 103 quarterback hurries/pressures in 2014, down 32 percent from 151 the previous season.

One key will be the Steelers hanging on to leading sack-man Jason Worilds, who was slapped with the transition tag last season. Rooney expressed a desire to retain Worilds, but the Steelers also need to add a playmaker upfront.

"There's no question we need to get better," Rooney said. "That's something we need to be focused on in the offseason, how to get better on defense."

The Steelers leaned heavily on 36-year-old James Harrison to provide a pass rush late in the season. Relying on an aging player picked up off the street isn't how Pittsburgh wants to live again in 2015.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462709/article/art-rooney-ii-improving-steelers-pass-rush-is-priority

fordfixer
01-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Really this is just now becoming a priority :roll:

SS Laser
01-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Really this is just now becoming a priority :roll: No they have tried. Just not the right players picked. Same as with the CB position. Tried to treat the CB position in the draft like they have at WR. WR worked out great. CB not so much. :) I wonder if Timmons was the first fail at OLB? Then it continued with other picks. Woodley was good for a few seasons and JH was a beast replacing a beast. Now there is major questions with the OLB's they have. FA and the draft they will try again. Heck even looking at the CFL. But replacing beasts is not easy man.

Sugar
01-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Well, OL and the running game were bigger priorities. Those have now been mostly addressed.

Oviedo
01-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Really this is just now becoming a priority :roll:

Maybe the impediment to achieving it resigned:stirpot If you recall Tomlin's sarcastic remark about "warming up to the pass rush." One can assume that there was a philosophical divide, especially with some of the comments Butler made after he took over about different fronts.

SteelCrazy
01-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Didnt Art prioritize the running game a few years back? Maybe we'll get a Le'veon Bell of OLB's next......

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette -

Rooney on Steelers D: "We have some good young players we can build around" but secondary will be a focus in the offseason

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

Slapstick
01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
All-Pro Timmons a "fail"....smh...

SS Laser
01-25-2015, 10:22 PM
All-Pro Timmons a "fail"....smh... At OLB he was a fail IMO. IF he was picked for that position then had to move to ILB. And if my memory is correct he was going to be tried there first. And when he was moved over there because of injury he did not look good or like say Chad Brown did when he moved. Timmons is not a FAIL at ILB. But his "Splash" plays are few and far between. But I do understand that is asking a lot with the players around him. Just for the record I like Timmons. :) Very good player glad to have him. Worth the 1st rd pick to me at ILB. Just speculating IF he could have been the first "miss" at OLB in the draft.

Slapstick
01-25-2015, 10:34 PM
On the day he was drafted, Tomlin stated that they were looking at him for the Mack position...considering that he was injured in 2007 and our OLBs in 2008 were James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley...

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib -

Steelers QB hurries/pressures dropped from 151 to 103 in a year and the people in charge sure have noticed.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/559012501053255680

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Re-signing Worilds does not improve the pass rush. Re-signing Worilds gives you more of the same mediocre pass rush. If you REALLY want to improve your pass rush, then go all in and offer a huge deal to unrestricted free agent Justin Houston. We never go after top-dollar free agents, but rarely if ever does a premium player become available which fits our biggest weakness and would fit in so perfectly in our defense. Hopefully Lawrence Timmons gave his Pro Bowl teammate Houston a nice sales pitch last week.

Slapstick
01-27-2015, 03:32 PM
I think Houston, given the Steelers history in free agency, is unrealistic.

While that would be sweet, I'm afraid it's a pipe dream. They could always prove me wrong, though...

After giving it a lot of thought, I would be pleased if they signed Pernell McPhee away from the Ratbirds...having a guy who can rush the passer and who could play at least 6 positions out of the front 7 would also be a way to free up some rushers...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-27-2015, 03:57 PM

While that would be sweet, I'm afraid it's a pipe dream. They could always prove me wrong, though...

After giving it a lot of thought, I would be pleased if they signed Pernell McPhee away from the Ratbirds...having a guy who can rush the passer and who could play at least 6 positions out of the front 7 would also be a way to free up some rushers...

Agree on all counts. Would love Houston, but probably never going to happen. McPhee would be a nice value signing. 26 years old, never been a starter, and still had 7.5 sacks last season. I noticed him several times this season when watching them play. They are pretty tight to the cap, and don't seem to have many easy cuts to clear space - in the Cam Thomas mold. It is unlikely that they are able to re-sign him. They have spent a lot of money lately and seem to be married for many years to several key players. Also, the same way we have Woodley's money hanging over the cap this season, the Ravens have $9.5M attributable to Mr. Ray Rice.

Slapstick
01-27-2015, 04:09 PM
The Rats' free agency situation is pretty rough...

Pernell McPhee, Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels and Justin Forsett to name just four...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-27-2015, 04:28 PM

Pernell McPhee, Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels and Justin Forsett to name just four...

Add to that the idea that there are no good places to cut. They could cut Jimmy Smith (save $6.898M), but that creates a big hole. Canty ($2.66M), punter Sam Koch ($2.5M) are possible but Canty is too good for that savings, and $2M+ doesn't give you nearly enough to make a big difference. Their cap situation is tough.

Oviedo
01-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Re-signing Worilds does not improve the pass rush. Re-signing Worilds gives you more of the same mediocre pass rush. If you REALLY want to improve your pass rush, then go all in and offer a huge deal to unrestricted free agent Justin Houston. We never go after top-dollar free agents, but rarely if ever does a premium player become available which fits our biggest weakness and would fit in so perfectly in our defense. Hopefully Lawrence Timmons gave his Pro Bowl teammate Houston a nice sales pitch last week.

Resigning Worilds may not lead to a significant increase in sacks, but resigning him may prevent a significant decrease in sacks. He is still the best pass rushing LB on the team and we need someone doing something.

I'd be all in on signing Houston, but IMO that is a fantasy.

Shawn
01-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Resigning Worilds may not lead to a significant increase in sacks, but resigning him may prevent a significant decrease in sacks. He is still the best pass rushing LB on the team and we need someone doing something.

I'd be all in on signing Houston, but IMO that is a fantasy. Solid strategy for a mediocre team who wants to remain mediocre.

Oviedo
01-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Solid strategy for a mediocre team who wants to remain mediocre.

No, the recipe for mediocrity is just "waiting and hoping" for Jarvis Jones to finally do something. Worilds has at least proven he can be good if not great.

Slapstick
01-27-2015, 05:46 PM
No, the recipe for mediocrity is just "waiting and hoping" for Jarvis Jones to finally do something. Worilds has at least proven he can be good if not great.

And it took Worilds 4 years to do that...give Jones the same consideration...

feltdizz
01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
And it took Worilds 4 years to do that...give Jones the same consideration...

lol... exactly.

NJ-STEELER
01-27-2015, 08:47 PM

forsett the one who contributed the most for them and IMO he's just another guy. they plugged in some others and did OK too. I dont think they'll give him big money

I think mcphee will go to the highest bidder

Slapstick
01-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Torrey Smith is an interesting case for the Ravens...he's not a guy like AB who catches everything, but he did draw 12 PI penalties totaling 250+ yards...

How much is that deep speed worth?

Shoe
01-27-2015, 10:39 PM

You don't win championships, paying top-of-the-market prices on free agents.
Our QB by himself, is going to eat up so much of our cap space (paying going rate), that we have to make even less mistakes paying the rest of the team. Signing Houston will never happen, nor should it.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2015, 11:21 AM

I have mentioned in another thread somewhere that I preferred Pernell McPhee to Jabaal Sheard, who others were touting as a possibility.

Oviedo
01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
I have mentioned in another thread somewhere that I preferred Pernell McPhee to Jabaal Sheard, who others were touting as a possibility.

I agree. Sheard's performance has been less every year in the league