PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu's future uncertain

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Troy Polamalu's future uncertain

Updated: January 21, 2015
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II did not commit to bringing back strong safety Troy Polamalu in 2015 even if the eight-time Pro Bowler wants to return.

The Steelers have not committed to bringing back 8-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu next season.

Rooney has said he wants Polamalu to retire as a Steeler, but the safety is coming off a season in which he did not record a sack or intercept a pass for the first time since 2007.

Polamalu, who will turn 34 in April, has two years left on his contract. He said after Pittsburgh's AFC wild-card loss to the Baltimore Ravens earlier this month that it is fair to question whether he has played his last game for the Steelers.

Polamalu and veterans such as outside linebacker James Harrison, defensive end Brett Keisel and cornerback Ike Taylor all face uncertain futures. Rooney said the team has not made any decision on the four, who were stalwarts on the teams that played in three Super Bowls from 2005 to 2010 and won two of them.

"We'll be having conversations internally," Rooney said Wednesday at Steelers headquarters. "We'll have conversations with each of those players and others about what they want to do and whether they'll fit into the plans for next year. There's a lot of discussions to be had in terms of the next few weeks and months."

The Steelers will also have more than a few conversations with Ryan Tollner, who is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's agent.

Roethlisberger is entering the final year of his contract, and Rooney reiterated that the Steelers plan on signing the 11th-year veteran to a long-term deal.

The Steelers have yet to engage in contract negotiations with Tollner, but Rooney said of getting a new deal done, "Sooner rather than later would be good, but it's hard to put a time frame on it. You never know how long some of these things can take."

Roethlisberger is coming off the best statistical season of his career.

He threw for 4,952 yards and became the first player in Steelers history to win at least a share of the NFL passing total. Roethlisberger, who tied Drew Brees of the Saints for the most passing yards in 2014, also set Steelers single-season records for completions and completion percentage (67.1).

Roethlisberger's salary-cap hit in 2015 is $18.395 million. Signing him to a long-term deal would create cap room because the Steelers could spread the signing bonus over the length of what figures to be Roethlisberger's final NFL contract.

The Steelers also hope to re-sign outside linebacker Jason Worilds, who is their top free agent, and the team will also need cap room to sign free agents from other teams.

The free-agent signing period starts on March 10, and Rooney acknowledged that getting a new deal done with Roethlisberger before then would be "helpful" to the Steelers' offseason plans.

"But I'm not going to say that it's absolutely critical that it's done prior to that," Rooney said. "We'll get it done when both sides can come to a conclusion on it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12207097/pittsburgh-steelers-commit-bringing-troy-polamalu-back-next-season

Oviedo
01-22-2015, 03:18 PM
I think Troy's future is pretty certain in that he can't play at a high level anymore. I love the guy as an all-time great Steeler, but like LeBeau quit hanging onto guys past their "sell by" date.

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2015, 12:53 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers could face tough decision with Troy Polamalu

February, 26, 2015

Outside linebacker Jason Worilds has probably played his last down for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There have been no contract talks between the two sides, and the Steelers won’t use a transition tag to keep Worilds from becoming an unrestricted free agent on March 10.

Unless there is a sluggish market for Worilds -- something that is unlikely since he is only 26 years old and one of the better pass rushers who is poised to hit the open market -- the fifth-year veteran will be playing elsewhere in 2015.

Less certain is what will happen with strong safety Troy Polamalu.

The eight-time Pro Bowler is coming off a season in which he did not intercept a pass or record a sack for the first time since 2007. Polamalu turns 34 in April and has clearly lost a step, but he apparently has no plans on retiring.

Cornerback Ike Taylor told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh that Polamalu is already training with the intent of playing next season.

Polamalu is still under contract with the Steelers for two more seasons, but he is due a base salary of $6 million in 2015.

That is too much money for a player whose skills have declined but it is one thing to ask Taylor to take a pay cut -- something the Steelers did last year -- quite another to do it with Polamalu.

And that is if the Steelers want Polamalu back.

If the Steelers decide it is time to move on from Polamalu, it is not without recent precedent as far as cutting ties with an iconic player. It was, after all, just three years ago that the Steelers released Hines Ward, their all-time leading receiver, even though he clearly wanted to return for another season.

Ward's exit served as a stark reminder that the Steelers rarely, if ever, allow sentiment to enter the equation when faced with tough football or business decisions.

That probaly doesn't bode well for Polamalu unless there is a compromise to be found between the 12th-year veteran and the Steelers -- in the form of a pay cut.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/162555/pittsburgh-steelers-could-face-tough-decision-with-troy-polamalu

Discipline of Steel
02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Ward's exit served as a stark reminder that the Steelers rarely, if ever, allow sentiment to enter the equation when faced with tough football or business decisions.

Do i really need to say anything else???

squidkid
02-27-2015, 05:10 PM
his last extension was wasted money

Iron City Inc.
02-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Noll cut L C Greenwood. So could Troy end up on route 30 I guess it could happen. Do not want to see 43 go out that way. Perhaps he will get released prior to camp or just make the call to end his football career. It's tough to see the great ones get up there in years. I'm sure we see Troy in Canton one day. Sadly I have to say it's time to move on.

Oviedo
02-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Actually, I think his future is pretty certain. He will be a fairly pedestrian safety if he comes back and still not be able to cover or tackle in the open field. Sadly, what made Troy special is gone.

If Troy considers a paycut to a salary level commensurate with his skills an insult then they should not hesitate to let him go

phillyesq
02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
his last extension was wasted money It was mostly done as a cap move.

Flasteel
02-28-2015, 04:27 AM
I know Polamalu showed us nothing last year and that was on the heels of a less than stellar 2013 season. But for some reason, I do not think he's done...in the league or in Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure there's some sentiment to that reasoning, but there is also a gut feeling to it as well. I also think that he played heavy last year and it negatively impacted his explosiveness and overall game. I'm not sure why he ballooned-up, but to me it was evident that he was a chunky monkey the entire season.

If he trains his ass off (which according to Ike, he's already started doing) and loses the weight, I'm hoping we have a savvy veteran, who is still capable of reading, reacting, and blowing up plays. I realize however, the days of Taz are likely done...other than an occasional flash here or there.

His cap hit is hard to swallow, but I think he and the team work something out and we see 43 wearing the Black and Gold next year.

papillon
02-28-2015, 08:19 AM
I know Polamalu showed us nothing last year and that was on the heels of a less than stellar 2013 season. But for some reason, I do not think he's done...in the league or in Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure there's some sentiment to that reasoning, but there is also a gut feeling to it as well. I also think that he played heavy last year and it negatively impacted his explosiveness and overall game. I'm not sure why he ballooned-up, but to me it was evident that he was a chunky monkey the entire season.

If he trains his ass off (which according to Ike, he's already started doing) and loses the weight, I'm hoping we have a savvy veteran, who is still capable of reading, reacting, and blowing up plays. I realize however, the days of Taz are likely done...other than an occasional flash here or there.

His cap hit is hard to swallow, but I think he and the team work something out and we see 43 wearing the Black and Gold next year.

I don't know, even signing him to a salary substantially less than he's scheduled to make is still taking cap money and giving it to a veteran who will in all likelihood be a backup and insurance policy. The same for Taylor and Keisel, Harrison can still compete for the starting job and probably would win it right now over JJ. That would be predicated on him being in camp and competing for the job, otherwise, he should be on speed dial in case of injuries. Great players one and all, and equally great Steelers and ambassadors for the game and the city, but its time to move on and spend the money on players that can actually help win games week-in and week-out. Sad times indeed for Steeler fans, the end of Ben's career will be equally painful.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
02-28-2015, 09:30 AM

I think that's sentiment talking, and I understand. Troy was a great player for our Steelers for a long time.

But I don't think anyone, including Troy, wants him out there performing as a mere shadow of his former self, and I think, from now on, that's what we would see. At this point, I think it might be more merciful for everyone involved to just cut him loose.

Discipline of Steel
02-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Im not inclined to view this opinion as strictly sentiment. Even though TroyP is getting 'old' in football years, he is still an exceptional athlete. If you are correct about the weight issue, its possibly that Butler might have some ideas about how to utilize him differently and they could come to some arrangement. Butlers perspective remains to be seen. Ikes decline is much more clear cut.

Flasteel
02-28-2015, 12:09 PM
I think that's sentiment talking, and I understand. Troy was a great player for our Steelers for a long time.

But I don't think anyone, including Troy, wants him out there performing as a mere shadow of his former self, and I think, from now on, that's what we would see. At this point, I think it might be more merciful for everyone involved to just cut him loose.

I agree it's difficult to completely separate sentiment from the equation but there are some objective factors at play too. Chief among them is the fact that he has already started training. We all know that Polamalu is a proud man, who does not need the game of football to make his life complete. If he thought he was done or had lost that much of his game, I don't see him just hanging around with an obviously diminished skill set...and I wouldn't imagine that he'd be already hard at work preparing for next season.

If Polamalu thinks he can play and play at a high level next year, I say the team gives him that chance. Not only has he earned that level of trust, but I would hate to see him go anywhere else and play well next year. I think the front office would likely feel the same way.

Aside from all of that, Shamarko Thomas has not exactly arrived at the point where he makes us all drool with anticipation. I don't feel too good going into the season with Thomas, Mitchell, Golden, and Allen as our safeties. Polamalu brings some needed reliability to that group, in my opinion.

feltdizz
02-28-2015, 12:44 PM
As much as I love Troy I don't want to see him return if he plays like last year.

If we keep him I hope we have enough smarts to sit him if he doesn't show improvement.

Flasteel
02-28-2015, 03:05 PM
As much as I love Troy I don't want to see him return if he plays like last year.

If we keep him I hope we have enough smarts to sit him if he doesn't show improvement.

I would agree with this.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Steelers may want Polamalu to retire so they don’t have to cut him

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 4, 2015, 9:26 AM EST

Troy Polamalu was a great player for the Steelers for years, but he turns 34 next month, and he isn’t great anymore. Which puts the Steelers in an awkward position.

No one in Pittsburgh wants to see Polamalu get cut and try to finish his career in another uniform, but the Steelers don’t want to pay a lot of money for an aging, slowing veteran this season, and they’d save $3.6 million on their 2015 salary cap if Polamalu is not on the roster. The best option, from the Steelers’ perspective, may be for Polamalu to decide on his own to walk away.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the Steelers would prefer for Polamalu to retire, so they don’t have to go through the awkward situation of cutting a loyal veteran and fan favorite. The Steelers are in good enough cap shape that they don’t have to cut Polamalu, but according to Bouchette it’s “90 percent he’s not gonna be back.”

Three years ago the Steelers were in a similar situation with Hines Ward: Pittsburgh didn’t think Ward had much left, but Ward wasn’t ready to call it a career right away. So the Steelers cut Ward, only to have Ward look around for a few weeks, find that there weren’t any great offers for his services, and then announce his retirement.

Ideally, a player like Polamalu should retire as a Steeler without getting cut first. But if Polamalu doesn’t retire, the Steelers may decide that they have no choice but to tell him his time in Pittsburgh is over.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/steelers-may-want-polamalu-to-retire-so-they-dont-have-to-cut-him/

buccoray61
03-04-2015, 02:36 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476330/article/troy-polamalu-not-in-steelers-plans-for-2015

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2015, 02:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476330/article/troy-polamalu-not-in-steelers-plans-for-2015

If it was Adam Schefter or Jay Glazer reporting it, then I would trust it, but trusting Ian Rapoport is like trusting a quarter to land on heads. I swear he decides what to report based on throwing darts at a dartboard.

buccoray61
03-04-2015, 02:51 PM
If it was Adam Schefter or Jay Glazer reporting it, then I would trust it, but trusting Ian Rapoport is like trusting a quarter to land on heads. I swear he decides what to report based on throwing darts at a dartboard.

Maybe,but in this case I think he's right. It's pretty consistent with what others are reporting.

feltdizz
03-04-2015, 03:20 PM

His predictions have improved lately

Flasteel
03-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Why is it continually reported that it's either retire or cut him? Where is the option of a voluntary pay cut and bringing Polamalu back at a reduced cost?

squidkid
03-04-2015, 06:06 PM
i dont see polamalu as a backup and he isn't a starter anymore

NorthCoast
03-04-2015, 08:14 PM
i dont see polamalu as a backup and he isn't a starter anymore

Our perceptions may be skewed because his play was so far above everyone else for so long. He could be a starter for at least some teams in the league even at his current level.

Discipline of Steel
03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I think its all about how well he can do in our new system as a seasoned veteran. Apparently, or maybe, Butler has no plans for him. We shall have to see how it plays out....

squidkid
03-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Our perceptions may be skewed because his play was so far above everyone else for so long. He could be a starter for at least some teams in the league even at his current level.

not teams that want to have a good defense tho........

Chadman
03-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Troy Polamalu was not the reason the Steelers had a bad secondary last season.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-04-2015, 11:11 PM
to be fair, he certainly didnt make it any better

father time is undefeated

Chadman
03-04-2015, 11:30 PM
to be fair, he certainly didnt make it any better

father time is undefeated

Question is though- does his play improve with better pass rush? Or will simply replacing him with Shamarko Thomas make our pass defense better?

The DB's are only as good as the 7 in front of them. Not surprisingly, they've looked progressively worse as we have gotten less pressure..

Eddie Spaghetti
03-04-2015, 11:48 PM
the question is whether or not his paycheck equals his performance to me. is he a 6 million dollar/year player?

we drafted shamarko for a reason, time to find out if he can play or not. you cant keep bringing back the same players and expecting better results. it just doesnt make sense

Chadman
03-04-2015, 11:53 PM
the question is whether or not his paycheck equals his performance to me

we drafted shamarko for a reason, time to find out if he can play or not. you cant keep bringing back the same players and expecting better results. it just doesnt make sense

Given that Keisel, Taylor & Harrison are all likely gone too- is there SOME chance that Polamalu holds some value as a veteran leader to go with his play though?

Last year I heard a whole bunch of complaints about the Defense being inconsistant- that comes with a lack of experience. Do the Steelers run the risk of being even more inconsistant?

Discipline of Steel
03-05-2015, 12:16 AM
I think they experienced a majority of those growing pains this year

feltdizz
03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
the question is whether or not his paycheck equals his performance to me. is he a 6 million dollar/year player?

I agree...

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015

By Mark Kaboly
Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 7:39 p.m.
Updated 9 hours ago

Troy Polamalu might not be with the Steelers very much longer, but that doesn't mean he's done with football.

Right now, he just isn't sure.

Amid reports of the Steelers wanting the veteran All-Pro safety to retire instead of the team being forced to release him, Polamalu still could play in the upcoming season, his agent, Marvin Demoff, said.

“Troy is still determining whether he wants to retire or try and play in 2015,” Demoff told Trib Total Media. “We will make a decision fairly soon, but (it is) not imminent.”

Polamalu will turn 34 in April, and the Steelers would like to get out from under his $8.25 million cap number this year. If the Steelers release him with a post-June 1 designation, it would save the team $6 million off the salary cap.

If Polamalu decides to retire, Steelers could fight to regain a prorated portion of Polamalu's signing bonus of $6.75 million ($4.5 million of which they could recover).

Teams cannot release a player with a post-June 1 designation until the start of the new league year, which is March 10.

Polamalu, a five-time first-team All-Pro member, eight-time Pro Bowler and AP Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, was the Steelers' first-round pick in 2003.

Shamarko Thomas would be first in line to take over for Polamalu at strong safety.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7902668-74/polamalu-steelers-million#axzz3TVc4cfI6

phillyesq
03-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015

By Mark Kaboly
Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 7:39 p.m.
Updated 9 hours ago

Troy Polamalu might not be with the Steelers very much longer, but that doesn't mean he's done with football.

Right now, he just isn't sure.

Amid reports of the Steelers wanting the veteran All-Pro safety to retire instead of the team being forced to release him, Polamalu still could play in the upcoming season, his agent, Marvin Demoff, said.

“Troy is still determining whether he wants to retire or try and play in 2015,” Demoff told Trib Total Media. “We will make a decision fairly soon, but (it is) not imminent.”

Polamalu will turn 34 in April, and the Steelers would like to get out from under his $8.25 million cap number this year. If the Steelers release him with a post-June 1 designation, it would save the team $6 million off the salary cap.

If Polamalu decides to retire, Steelers could fight to regain a prorated portion of Polamalu's signing bonus of $6.75 million ($4.5 million of which they could recover).

Teams cannot release a player with a post-June 1 designation until the start of the new league year, which is March 10.

Polamalu, a five-time first-team All-Pro member, eight-time Pro Bowler and AP Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, was the Steelers' first-round pick in 2003.

Shamarko Thomas would be first in line to take over for Polamalu at strong safety.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7902668-74/polamalu-steelers-million#axzz3TVc4cfI6

I really do hope that Polamalu decides to retire. I'd hate to see him in another uniform and hate to see him released. The Steelers don't need his salary until it comes time to sign their draft picks, so both sides still have time with this.

feltdizz
03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
I really do hope that Polamalu decides to retire. I'd hate to see him in another uniform and hate to see him released. The Steelers don't need his salary until it comes time to sign their draft picks, so both sides still have time with this.

I would hate to see him in another uni looking like Ed Reed in a Texans uni

he went out like a bum.

don't do it Troy

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Source: Polamalu Had Issues With Tomlin

by steeldad
March 5, 2015

http://steelcityblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/troy-polamalu-nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-cleveland-browns1-850x560.jpg

No one can blame Troy Polamalu if he wants to keep playing. Football has been the center of his life since he was a child but now he and the Pittsburgh Steelers are at a crossroads and from what I’m hearing, a solution isn’t going to be pretty.

A source familiar with the Polamalu situation told me that the future Hall of Fame safety grew more and more upset with Head Coach Mike Tomlin and most of it centered around players brought in and attitudes that were tolerated.

Besides being fed up a few years ago with the “Young Money Crew,” Polamalu struggled to gain a report with new secondary mate Mike Mitchell. Polamalu was reportedly upset about Mitchell’s playing style and lack of focus.

In general, Polamalu became more and more disappointed in the way Tomlin dealt with younger players and in turn he became even more reserved than normal and focused his energy on his loyalty to Dick LeBeau.

The Steelers are desperate for Polamalu to retire because if they are forced to cut him then they are facing a cap hit of several million dollars. The team is ready to move on at his strong safety position but it sounds like the soft-spoken Polamalu isn’t going to go quietly.

I’m told much of Polamalu’s disdain for Tomlin centers around two things as I eluded to above; the tolerance of players whose attitudes were not that of “being Steelers” and the dismissal of defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Polamalu was not alone in his feelings and you can refer to comments made by guys like Ryan Clark, James Harrison and Brett Keisel for proof.

Also…

-Go back to the jokes that surrounded Tomlin’s decision to cut off access to the pool table and ping pong table. Those things didn’t sit well with veteran players allegedly.

-Go back to the comments by Polamalu following games this season where quite often he would answer a question with “Go ask coach.” Have you ever known that comment to be used in a positive situation? (For the record, Ben Roethlisberger uses that phrase more and more as well.)

The Loyalty Question

When James Harrison retired and teared up at his presser he did so because of LeBeau, not Tomlin and when he returned in 2014, he did so for LeBeau not Tomlin as I’ve been told. That loyalty is also why Harrison could very well end up in Tennessee when the season starts.

It’s not uncommon for players to have closer bonds with positional coaches more than they do with head coaches but the love and respect players have for LeBeau is overwhelming and undeniable.

Just because I’ve lobbied for Coach LeBeau to move on doesn’t mean I can’t recognize the love his players have for him. “Coach Dad” was far more than just a coach to these men and you can find any number of examples to support their feelings.

The source also told me that Polamalu felt a very strong sense of loyalty to Dan Rooney as well and that played a part in him re-doing his deal last year. The hope was that he could play out his contract through 2016 and then he and the Steelers could part ways with no monetary issues.

What Does the Organization Do?

If you’re the Steelers, do you want any of this coming out? Do you want your fan base getting wind of one of their most beloved players leaving with such a poor taste in his mouth?

It wouldn’t be the first time a cherished player has left a team with hard feelings but with Polamalu it just seems so impossible doesn’t it? At the end of the day, this is a business and no matter what the Steelers feel like they have to make the best possible financial move and that’s why they desperately want him to retire.

It seems so unlike Polamalu to hold a grudge or do something out of spite but we don’t know these men as personally as we think we do.

There’s no question in my mind that Troy Polamalu’s best days are behind him and I agree with the Steelers that it’s time to move forward. There’s a much bigger issue at play here than how things end up with Polamalu.

If other veterans are as dissatisfied with Tomlin as Polamalu allegedly is then what does this say about Tomlin?

http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/03/05/source-polamalu-issues-tomlin/

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I've always been a fan of Tomlin; however, the one question I always had was his relationship with his players. I never got the impression that they love him the way they did Cowher.
The one thing that I've been critical of is the fact that they are not a disciplined group of players. Too many penalties. That's on the head coach. This could get ugly.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Penalties? ??? Lol go back and look at the last two season number 1 in fewest a year ago and decent last year after a rough start. The first I heard about Troy being upset at Tomlin , I really don't buy the article.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Don't surprise me though about being upset about Lebeau, that's why they need to clean the house of the old vets.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Another thing Tomlin was voted high on the coach most players would like to play for , so more bs on the article.

hausparty
03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
We have a great track record of letting go of the troubled players. AKA BLOUNT just last year.
Troy, Harrison, and even BEN get upset when they play bad! I have a couple of SONS who blame me the very same way when they do bad in sports too and when they play great its all "THEM" and never me the coach.

Spoiled Vets and its exactly why Chip just cut McCoy! he was upset because he made him practice on Saturdays. Give me a break.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Penalties? ??? Lol go back and look at the last two season number 1 in fewest a year ago and decent last year after a rough start. The first I heard about Troy being upset at Tomlin , I really don't buy the article.
it's not the number of penalties. It's WHEN they happen.

feltdizz
03-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Who the heck is Steeldad? Sounds like he isn't a fan of Tomlin.

Newsflash.. vets get old and we must move on.

Who cares if old vets get mad? I'm sure Tomlin was mad at the way they were playing as well.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Oh now it's when lol, I heard it all! !!!

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Oh now it's when lol, I heard it all! !!!
so you're cool with a personal foul on 3rd and 15 from Mike Mitchell. Or a crap penalty when the offense gets a big play? You must not watch the games because those personal foul penalties, pass interference and pre snap offensive penalties were plenty.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:26 PM
so you're cool with a personal foul on 3rd and 15 from Mike Mitchell. Or a crap penalty when the offense gets a big play? You must not watch the games because those personal foul penalties, pass interference and pre snap offensive penalties were plenty.And most happened at the start of the season like I said, so you must not watch games.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:27 PM
And we all love how Clark and Mitchell got called for leading with the head. but since statistically we weren't that bad, penalties weren't a problem.
Statistics only lie when you have a great coordinator and you lead most defensive categories year in and year out. That's the only time they lie.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:28 PM
And most happened at the start of the season like I said, so you must not watch games.
As we got our vets more involved, penalties went down. correlation?

feltdizz
03-05-2015, 03:29 PM
We have a great track record of letting go of the troubled players. AKA BLOUNT just last year.
Troy, Harrison, and even BEN get upset when they play bad! I have a couple of SONS who blame me the very same way when they do bad in sports too and when they play great its all "THEM" and never me the coach.

Spoiled Vets and its exactly why Chip just cut McCoy! he was upset because he made him practice on Saturdays. Give me a break.

to be fair.. I think Chip Kelly is trying to turn an NFL team into a college team and it won't work. You can't run high intense offenses on Saturdays and expect them to keep up that tempo for 16 games.

feltdizz
03-05-2015, 03:30 PM
As we got our vets more involved, penalties went down. correlation?

Tomlin hired HS refs to work during our practices and our penalties went down

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Most Penalties in 2014:

1. Seattle (151)
2. New England (138)

The top 2 most penalized teams faced each other in the Super Bowl that season.

Most Penalties in 2013:

1. Seattle (152)
2. Denver (132)

Most Penalties in 2012:

1. Baltimore (145)
3. San Francisco (126)

Two of the top three most penalized teams faced each other in the Super Bowl that season.

Seems to me like those teams are winning, not undisciplined.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:32 PM
As we got our vets more involved, penalties went down. correlation?And big plays went up . and the lack of a talent went down. Only when Tuitt played and Ike got benched is when the defense played better.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:34 PM
http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/pittsburgh-steelers?year=2014&view=penalties
check out how we did with 15+ yard penalties.
Roughing the passer, taunting, and face mask all above average for the season.
10 penalties in the playoffs. 4 for 15+ yards. one of which was a 32 yarder. Doesn't sound like improvement..

Slapstick
03-05-2015, 03:39 PM
I think steeldad's full of crap...

Except, maybe, about the alleged mistreatment of LeBeau...I'm sure Tomlin wanted Keith Butler as DC for awhile, but let things proceed out of respect for LeBeau...now, it came to Tomlin having to make a decision between the two and he chose...

While it definitely needed to happen at some point, I can see why it may not sit well with some players...

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:40 PM
So Tomlin told those guys to commit those penalties? ?? And wr all know league has become a bs league of PI and blow to the head etc. The presnap penalty is more on the coaches in which we didn't rank high. But you blame the penalties on Tomlin in which his teams have been pretty good at. And again most of those were at start of the season.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Most Penalties in 2014:

1. Seattle (151)
2. New England (138)

Most Penalties in 2013:

1. Seattle (152)
2. Denver (132)

Most Penalties in 2012:

1. Baltimore (145)
3. San Francisco (126)

Two of the top three most penalized teams faced each other in the Super Bowl that season.

Seems to me like those teams are winning, not undisciplined.
You can have penalties and still be disciplined. Being undisciplined is when you have stupid penalties that either kill a drive or sustain the other teams drive. An offside on 3rd and 15 isn't nearly as bad as a penalty after the whistle that gives the other team another shot.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
I think steeldad's full of crap...

Except, maybe, about the alleged mistreatment of LeBeau...I'm sure Tomlin wanted Keith Butler as DC for awhile, but let things proceed out of respect for LeBeau...now, it came to Tomlin having to make a decision between the two and he chose...

While it definitely needed to happen at some point, I can see why it may not sit well with some players...Yep a bs article at it's best.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
First game against the Ravens, the ref calls two bs calls on Troy and Mike so who do you blame on that? ? Tomlin, the refs or the players.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
First game against the Ravens, the ref calls two bs calls on Troy and Mike so who do you blame on that? ? Tomlin, the refs or the players.
I agree, there were a lot of dumb calls this season (Willie Gay taunting for ex), I don't remember the play you're referring to, but I'm glad you pick and choose two plays out of somewhere around 100.

hausparty
03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Remember that one year when Tomlin made the team run back INT's to the house in practice? What happened again in the SuperBowl when Harrison Intercepted Warner?
I'm sure many vets hated that in practice but hey if it works, it works.

Bunch of cry babies if you ask me and I'm actually glad the players aren't BUDDY BUDDY with Coach T.

Steelhere10
03-05-2015, 03:51 PM
The two defenseless receiver penalties. . My example of how in one instance fans like you says the NFL/refs have it out for the Steelers but at the first chance they try and Blame Tomlin. You can't have it both ways.

birtikidis
03-05-2015, 03:55 PM
I don't say that the NFL has it out for the Steelers. I've said that there are bogus calls. But that's for every team. Don't try to put words in my mouth. Penalties are on the coach. Preparing your players to not commit penalties is on the coach. A team should NEVER have 10 penalties in a game. That's ON THE COACH. Roughing the passer. Late hits. Unsportsmanlike penalties ARE ON THE COACH. You'll have bad calls sprinkled in, but the onus of those penalties is on the coach.

Slapstick
03-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Nah. The NFL is out to get the Steelers.

Northern_Blitz
03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
it's not the number of penalties. It's WHEN they happen.

Disagree. I think when the penalties happen gives us perception bias...same thing with dropped passes.

If you get more penalties, you will have a higher chance of getting penalties in important situations. If I was looking at FAs, I'd actually try to look at guys that don't make many mistakes, but happened to make them in "big" moments. I think the market would undervalue those guys and I could get them for less than their actual value.

feltdizz
03-05-2015, 07:53 PM
This penalty argument is stupid as hell. Just admit you are mad we got rid of DL and a few vets and call it a day.

Oviedo
03-05-2015, 10:30 PM
This penalty argument is stupid as hell. Just admit you are mad we got rid of DL and a few vets and call it a day.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 12:28 AM
So getting rid of a great coach and cutting vets who start because the players you have can't win the starting spot is somehow a good thing?
I absolutely think they did DL wrong. Unlike the village idiots I can identify a great coach. I also value guys who have starting experience and have show something in their career over some flavor of the week.
I'm not the only one who thinks that Mitchell is a bum who makes big mistakes in big moments. I'm also not the only one who is sick and tired of stupid penalties giving other teams freebies.
I get that you don't care. I get that you, and many people like you, think that splash plays are all that matters in the game of football. Fundamentals have went out the window because of people like you.
But hey, let's draft 10 TE's, bring in the hottest name in defensive coaches and circle jerk. that'd be great.

Chadman
03-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Well, hands up if you can tell it's the off-season yet!

Of all the older players the Steelers can/could/should let go, I'm MOST torn on Polamalu, because I'm not convinced he can't be useful another season, in a changed role (which I assume is more possible with LeBeau moving on).

Is he Troy Polamalu of 5 years ago? Of course not.

But if there was better pressure off the edges, if the CB's offered more solid play, if we can get our mobile ILB's to cover TE's & short routes, Troy can still be a playmaker, a disruptive force at times, and a cool head on what will be a young defense.

Put it this way- I love Lawrence Timmons. I was banging his drum well before he got drafted. And I think he's an outstanding player. But he doesn't strike me as a leader of men. Yet he will be the crowning piece on the Defense next year. Cam Heyward looks to be moving into a leadership role. But who else?

I don't think you can downplay the importance of some veteran leadership, on & off the field.

I don't think Troy can take over a game like he used to. And no, his $8m doesn't equate to his level of play.

But I'd be pretty keen to squeeze 1 more season out of him.

And as a caveat, I really like Shamarko Thomas. This isn't a knock on Thomas at all. I expect him to assume the SS spot soon. Maybe even take snaps off Troy as the year goes on.

I'm just 'less confident' about thrusting him into the starting role, with such a young team around him.

Lastly, if you were to ask me who is the player MOST likely to be a 'leader' on this Defense, I'd say Sean Spence, given his leadership skills at Miami, and the way he presents himself. I'm still not against the idea of shifting Shazier to OLB to allow Spence to play.

feltdizz
03-06-2015, 08:09 AM
So getting rid of a great coach and cutting vets who start because the players you have can't win the starting spot is somehow a good thing?
I absolutely think they did DL wrong. Unlike the village idiots I can identify a great coach. I also value guys who have starting experience and have show something in their career over some flavor of the week.
I'm not the only one who thinks that Mitchell is a bum who makes big mistakes in big moments. I'm also not the only one who is sick and tired of stupid penalties giving other teams freebies.
I get that you don't care. I get that you, and many people like you, think that splash plays are all that matters in the game of football. Fundamentals have went out the window because of people like you.
But hey, let's draft 10 TE's, bring in the hottest name in defensive coaches and circle jerk. that'd be great.

Is this directed at Tomlin, Colbert and Goodell?

I hope you understand fans have no influence over the decisions made by the FO.

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Is this directed at Tomlin, Colbert and Goodell?

I hope you understand fans have no influence over the decisions made by the FO.
no sh!t sherlock

feltdizz
03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
no sh!t sherlock

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/tomlinumadbroface.gif

BradshawsHairdresser
03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/tomlinumadbroface.gif

Is that video from right after his sideline-stepping incident?

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Put it this way- I love Lawrence Timmons. I was banging his drum well before he got drafted. And I think he's an outstanding player. But he doesn't strike me as a leader of men. Yet he will be the crowning piece on the Defense next year. Cam Heyward looks to be moving into a leadership role. But who else?

I don't think you can downplay the importance of some veteran leadership, on & off the field.

Timmons is not a leader of men, but Polamalu shares a lot of those attributes too. He's also a soft spoken guy who is not likely to get in anyone's face on the sidelines, etc.

phillyesq
03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Timmons is not a leader of men, but Polamalu shares a lot of those attributes too. He's also a soft spoken guy who is not likely to get in anyone's face on the sidelines, etc.

He did explode on the sideline during the preseason game against the Eagles. He really ripped the entire defense. There was a clear sense of frustration.

But generally, you are absolutely right that he is a quiet guy. That said, I shudder to think of that buffoon Mitchell as the vocal leader of the secondary.

Oviedo
03-06-2015, 12:55 PM

A "village idiot" would be one who fails to see that a person can't make things happen anymore and doesn't hold that person responsible. They did Lebeau wrong? Don't make me laugh. Any coach not named Lebeau who was responsible for a defense with declining performance for about 3-4 years culminating with the worst sack totals in three decades would not had been kept for even 2014. Name any other coach who would have gotten the latitude to make things better that Lebeau did. he couldn't so the outcome was reasonable given that you had made commitments to Butler. The real injustice is that Butler was forced to wait as long as he was.

Keep your circle jerks to yourself if you don't mind. But by all means do what makes you happy.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2015, 12:58 PM
He did explode on the sideline during the preseason game against the Eagles. He really ripped the entire defense. There was a clear sense of frustration.

But generally, you are absolutely right that he is a quiet guy. That said, I shudder to think of that buffoon Mitchell as the vocal leader of the secondary.

I'd say Will Gay is the leader of the secondary.

Steelhere10
03-06-2015, 01:12 PM
A "village idiot" would be one who fails to see that a person can't make things happen anymore and doesn't hold that person responsible. They did Lebeau wrong? Don't make me laugh. Any coach not named Lebeau who was responsible for a defense with declining performance for about 3-4 years culminating with the worst sack totals in three decades would not had been kept for even 2014. Name any other coach who would have gotten the latitude to make things better that Lebeau did. he couldn't so the outcome was reasonable given that you had made commitments to Butler. The real injustice is that Butler was forced to wait as long as he was.

Keep your circle jerks to yourself if you don't mind. But by all means do what makes you happy.you said it better than I could.

feltdizz
03-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Keep your circle jerks to yourself if you don't mind. But by all means do what makes you happy.

yeah... I know he is butt hurt but c'mon. Asking everyone to turn a blind eye to performance is looney tunes.

How many teams ran out to make Lebeau a DC? Heck, he isn't even the DC in Tennessee.

At least we know who writes blogs under the name Steeldad.

Ghost
03-06-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm way more concerned about the wet tissue paper S. Thomas calls hamstrings then about Coach Butler taking over the reign on defense.

Oviedo
03-06-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm way more concerned about the wet tissue paper S. Thomas calls hamstrings then about Coach Butler taking over the reign on defense.
Ditto. Not sure that trading up to get "Shark" will prove to be a good decision.

Nonetheless, Troy needs to go no matter what he is willing to play for. I'd rather have Will Allen back there.

training-wheels
03-06-2015, 05:04 PM
BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC

Roundup of a lot of randomness from a lot of time around our teams …

• Troy Polamalu is done, and he knows it.

That’s not a prediction, and it’s anything but a putdown. It’s just the best possible way to summarize years of being around this remarkable individual and paying heed to his own words and actions as related to how he’d someday be forced to walk away from football.

fridayinsider

Allow me, please, to piece together the picture:

In June 2011, shortly before the Steelers signed Polamalu to an extension aimed at keeping him in the fold through retirement. I wrote publicly that I was enthusiastically in favor of that extension. But before doing so, I placed a call to Marvin Demoff, Polamalu’s longstanding and highly respected agent, in large part to ask what might happen if his client no longer could perform and, thus, put the Steelers into the terrible position of having to release a legend.

“You know Troy. That’s not Troy,” Demoff said. “He’s not the type to keep playing when he’s not at a high level. No offense, but he’s not going to be Brett Favre.”

It sounded convincing, but now we’ve come to that day.

A reworking of Polamalu’s contract last March set him up to be paid $20 million over the following three seasons, including the one that just passed. Two more remain. Polamalu will turn 34 next month, and his 2014 was … well, you saw it.

On the day he signed that reworking, Polamalu said, “I am thankful and blessed to be in a position to play my entire career in Pittsburgh.”

We’ve come to that day.

At several points during this past season, and even going back to the previous season, Polamalu would joke about plays that the old Troy would have made. But other times, he’d turn serious on the same topic. He spoke almost painfully of watching video of himself and picturing where he should have been on the field vs. where he was. And it wasn’t any secret. We saw it, too. He’d try one of those flying leaps over the line of scrimmage, only to fall on his face and draw a flag. He’d try for one of those flying-mane open-field bone-rattlers, only to whiff and watch that receiver sprint the distance.

“I have to adjust my game,” he told me one night in Charlotte. “I know that.”

He didn’t. He couldn’t. Some players know only how to be great. And when they’re anything less, the acceptance is more crushing, more humbling than any outcome.

He knew that all through this past season.

In October, I found the nerve to ask Polamalu — after a win in Jacksonville, actually, so it didn’t look like I was unfairly seizing upon a weak moment — if what Demoff had told me four years ago still applied. If he really would step aside once he was sure he no longer could perform at peak level.

“I’ve always felt that way,” was his classic, simple response.

We’ve come to that day.

Polamalu had other issues, as well. He wasn’t wild about the attitudes of some of the Steelers’ younger players. He felt they lacked the necessary respect for the franchise that he and others worked hard to instill. When I’d bring up with him so-and-so young guy, he’d invariably start talking about Alan Faneca or someone in that mold. (Though I feel compelled to add that he loves Antwon Blake.) There also were times it was clear that he was equally less than enthused over Mike Tomlin’s handling of same. Polamalu clearly felt Tomlin wasn’t doing enough on his own to protect that brand. That’s why he formed a much, much stronger kinship with Dick LeBeau as time wore on.

This story will stir many emotions over the coming months, no doubt. But I sure hope it’s for the right reasons. It isn’t about the Steelers saving $3.6 million in cap space toward next season. Their cap situation just isn’t that dire, and it’s about to improve with Ben Roethlisberger’s extension. It certainly isn’t — and shouldn’t be — about Polamalu hanging on for an extra few million. Between his NFL pay and Head & Shoulders and all else, he’s earned more than $100 million already, and he’s anything but some materialistic maniac.

I take all of the above, accumulate it, add it up, and the primary issue should be one of preserving a legacy. It’s about him. And to an extent, it’s about Pittsburgh’s appreciation of him. For the most part, Polamalu made it through the past season unscathed publicly despite his performance. A second such season won’t be as kind. And there’s nothing about that picture that would feel right.

As for the popular notion that he’ll spend a year in Tennessee working with LeBeau … to what end? What would be achieved from being a spare part on a non-contender? And even if something were, would it be commensurate with the risk of injury that jeopardizes himself and his family, particularly wife Theodora, who has long been open about eagerly awaiting the day her husband calls it a career?

Here’s hoping, indeed, that Polamalu isn’t another Favre. He knows better.

phillyesq
03-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Polamalu had other issues, as well. He wasn’t wild about the attitudes of some of the Steelers’ younger players. He felt they lacked the necessary respect for the franchise that he and others worked hard to instill. When I’d bring up with him so-and-so young guy, he’d invariably start talking about Alan Faneca or someone in that mold. (Though I feel compelled to add that he loves Antwon Blake.) There also were times it was clear that he was equally less than enthused over Mike Tomlin’s handling of same. Polamalu clearly felt Tomlin wasn’t doing enough on his own to protect that brand. That’s why he formed a much, much stronger kinship with Dick LeBeau as time wore on.

So when this type of information was but out there but an unknown blogger, I sort of dismissed it. Now that we're seeing this again, I'd almost have to think that there is something to it, and that is really concerning.

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 05:32 PM
So when this type of information was but out there but an unknown blogger, I sort of dismissed it. Now that we're seeing this again, I'd almost have to think that there is something to it, and that is really concerning.
bah, you're just butthurt.

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 05:34 PM

it was classless. You may be too much of an idiot to see it, but that's your problem not mine. It was just as classless when they did it to Arians and it'll be just as classless when they do it to the next guy. when you prove something over and over again for a decade, you don't have to explain yourself to some moron forum poster.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2015, 05:35 PM
this is not a good look for mike tomlin

i know he walks on water for some here, but its becoming more and more apparent that he runs a loose ship

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Ditto. Not sure that trading up to get "Shark" will prove to be a good decision.

Nonetheless, Troy needs to go no matter what he is willing to play for. I'd rather have Will Allen back there.

Will Allen is only a year younger than Polamalu. And an unrestricted free agent at the moment.

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 05:38 PM
will allen is only a year younger than polamalu. And an unrestricted free agent at the moment.
but he's younger!

steelsnis
03-06-2015, 05:40 PM

There is NOTHING surprising about this. Older, prideful guys who can't do what they once did find it easy to settle in and subtly take shots at the new guys coming up. That's totally fine and it's only natural for him to feel this way.

It doesn't mean it's true, however. I GUARANTEE there were some vets on the team in 2003 and 2004 that privately b!tched and moaned about Troy and the way he freelanced out on the field, didn't follow coaching particularly well, etc etc. Again, it's totally natural for this line of thinking to take hold when you aren't the guy you once were. He feels protective of how he and the Steelers players of the mid 2000's did it and he should.

But it doesn't mean he's right.

Oviedo
03-06-2015, 05:41 PM
it was classless. You may be too much of an idiot to see it, but that's your problem not mine. It was just as classless when they did it to Arians and it'll be just as classless when they do it to the next guy. when you prove something over and over again for a decade, you don't have to explain yourself to some moron forum poster.

The Steelers organization "fired LeBeau, not a "moron forum poster." They did it because he wasn't getting the job done and past success was having no impact on current performance. That is how the real world works for most of the rest of the world. It's a what are you doing for me lately world. Players have to perform every year so why wouldn't coaches?

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 05:41 PM

Could you imagine if they had fired Dick Hoak after 2 or 3 years of poor running performances?
Of course they should have. They should have fired him shortly after Franco retired. We went through so many running backs in the next 3-4 years. We could have found anyone to coach running backs for the next 20 years. ah hindsight, shoulda fired that guy long time before that. Hell 1972-2007; game probably passed him buy in '75 anyway

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 05:43 PM
The Steelers organization "fired LeBeau, not a "moron forum poster." They did it because he wasn't getting the job done and past success was having no impact on current performance. That is how the real world works for most of the rest of the world. It's a what are you doing for me lately world. Players have to perform every year so why wouldn't coaches?
and I didn't say he did. I said you don't have to explain yourself to some moron forum poster. And forcing him out of town was stupid and classless anyway you slice it.

phillyesq
03-06-2015, 05:48 PM
There is NOTHING surprising about this. Older, prideful guys who can't do what they once did find it easy to settle in and subtly take shots at the new guys coming up. That's totally fine and it's only natural for him to feel this way.

It doesn't mean it's true, however. I GUARANTEE there were some vets on the team in 2003 and 2004 that privately b!tched and moaned about Troy and the way he freelanced out on the field, didn't follow coaching particularly well, etc etc. Again, it's totally natural for this line of thinking to take hold when you aren't the guy you once were. He feels protective of how he and the Steelers players of the mid 2000's did it and he should.

But it doesn't mean he's right.

Watching Mike Mitchell run his mouth and celebrate after late hits, I'm not sure that you can say he is wrong, either.

Slapstick
03-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Wow! Philly with the excessive Mitchell hate! Who saw that coming?

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Friday Insider: Troy will depart with pride

MARCH 6, 2015
BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/NFL-SUPER.jpg

Troy Polamalu and wife Theodora celebrated his second Super Bowl title in Tampa in 2009. — GETTY

• Troy Polamalu is done, and he knows it.

That’s not a prediction, and it’s anything but a putdown. It’s just the best possible way to summarize years of being around this remarkable individual and paying heed to his own words and actions as related to how he’d someday be forced to walk away from football.

Allow me, please, to piece together the picture:

In June 2011, shortly before the Steelers signed Polamalu to an extension aimed at keeping him in the fold through retirement, I wrote publicly that I was enthusiastically in favor of that extension. But before doing so, I placed a call to Marvin Demoff, Polamalu’s longstanding and highly respected agent, in large part to ask what might happen if his client no longer could perform and, thus, put the Steelers into the terrible position of having to release a legend.

“You know Troy. That’s not Troy,” Demoff said. “He’s not the type to keep playing when he’s not at a high level. No offense, but he’s not going to be Brett Favre.”

It sounded convincing, but now we’ve come to that day.

A reworking of Polamalu’s contract last March set him up to be paid $20 million over the following three seasons, including the one that just passed. Two more remain. Polamalu will turn 34 next month, and his 2014 was … well, you saw it.

On the day he signed that reworking, Polamalu said, “I am thankful and blessed to be in a position to play my entire career in Pittsburgh.”

We’ve come to that day.

At several points during this past season, and even going back to the previous season, Polamalu would joke about plays that the old Troy would have made. But other times, he’d turn serious on the same topic. He spoke almost painfully of watching video of himself and picturing where he should have been on the field vs. where he was. And it wasn’t any secret. We saw it, too. He’d try one of those flying leaps over the line of scrimmage, only to fall on his face and draw a flag. He’d try for one of those flying-mane open-field bone-rattlers, only to whiff and watch that receiver sprint the distance.

“I have to adjust my game,” he told me one night in Charlotte. “I know that.”

He didn’t. He couldn’t. Some players know only how to be great. And when they’re anything less, the acceptance is more crushing, more humbling than any outcome.

He knew that all through this past season.

In October, I found the nerve to ask Polamalu — after a win in Jacksonville, actually, so it didn’t look like I was unfairly seizing upon a weak moment — if what Demoff had told me four years ago still applied. If he really would step aside once he was sure he no longer could perform at peak level.

“I’ve always felt that way,” was his classic, simple response.

We’ve come to that day.

This story will stir many emotions over the coming months, no doubt. But I sure hope it’s for the right reasons. It isn’t about the Steelers saving $3.6 million in cap space toward next season. Their cap situation just isn’t that dire, and it’s about to improve with Ben Roethlisberger’s extension. It certainly isn’t — and shouldn’t be — about Polamalu hanging on for an extra few million. Between his NFL pay and Head & Shoulders and all else, he’s earned more than $100 million already, and he’s anything but some materialistic maniac.

I take all of the above, accumulate it, add it up, and the primary issue should be one of preserving a legacy. It’s about him. And to an extent, it’s about Pittsburgh’s appreciation of him. For the most part, Polamalu made it through the past season unscathed publicly despite his performance. A second such season won’t be as kind. And there’s nothing about that picture that would feel right.

As for the popular notion that he’ll spend a year in Tennessee working with LeBeau … to what end? What would be achieved from being a spare part on a non-contender? And even if something were, would it be commensurate with the risk of injury that jeopardizes himself and his family, particularly wife Theodora, who has long been open about eagerly awaiting the day her husband calls it a career?

Here’s hoping, indeed, that Polamalu isn’t another Favre. He knows better.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/03/06/friday-insider-troy-will-depart-with-pride/

steelsnis
03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Watching Mike Mitchell run his mouth and celebrate after late hits, I'm not sure that you can say he is wrong, either.

He ISN'T right, tho. First of all, there's zero evidence that Troy is talking about Mitchell, and secondly, Troy had a million late hits throughout his career and was called for more than his share of 15-yarders.

But that's my point. Nothing changes that much over time except the players get older. When they do it's only natural to look back on their "glory days" as the best way to do things. Again, I'm not blaming Troy for any of this, at all, it's just what happens.

You really think the old vets didn't b!tch that these young guys don't know what it takes to be Steelers when Troy was a rookie? Hell, he praises Faneca yet Faneca showed an alarming lack of class in the way he quit on this team and when Ben took over from Maddox. It just goes with the territory.

Steelhere10
03-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Don't make sense for these fans steelsnis, only some see the light.

Steelhere10
03-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Again for a coach to be voted tops for a coach players want to play for league wide, and old guys with the sour mouth on their way out the door who saw their favorite coach get caned , what would you expect to hear. All of a sudden Tomlin changed is funny. Sound like a lot of sour grapes.

Steelhere10
03-06-2015, 06:47 PM
A little common sense please.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Again for a coach to be voted tops for a coach players want to play for league wide, and old guys with the sour mouth on their way out the door who saw their favorite coach get caned , what would you expect to hear. All of a sudden Tomlin changed is funny. Sound like a lot of sour grapes.

actually this reinforces that tomlin has a rep for running a loose ship. you think todays players want to play for a disciplinarian like tom coughlin? LOL

a little common sense please

birtikidis
03-06-2015, 07:28 PM
actually this reinforces that tomlin has a rep for running a loose ship. you think todays players want to play for a disciplinarian like tom coughlin? LOL

a little common sense please
being a perennial winner with a top notch coaching staff probably had nothing to do with it either.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-06-2015, 07:34 PM
being a perennial winner with a top notch coaching staff probably had nothing to do with it either.

no offense dude, but you arent making alot of sense in this thread

i cant even tell which side you are arguing half the time

feltdizz
03-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Fans...

its a young man's game and all things come to an end.

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2015, 12:57 AM
but he's younger!

If a 32 year old Polamalu was a shell of his former Hall of Fame level self in 2014, what can we expect to see out of a 32 year old Will Allen in 2015, since he's never been more than a mediocre borderline starter/backup type even in his prime?

steelsnis
03-07-2015, 09:37 AM
If a 32 year old Polamalu was a shell of his former Hall of Fame level self in 2014, what can we expect to see out of a 32 year old Will Allen in 2015, since he's never been more than a mediocre borderline starter/backup type even in his prime?

If Troy was a backup making the money that Will Allen makes, cutting him or keeping him wouldn't be an issue.

birtikidis
03-07-2015, 10:42 AM
no offense dude, but you arent making alot of sense in this thread

i cant even tell which side you are arguing half the time
I was being tongue in cheek.
Someone said that the evidence shows that Tomlin is a coach that players want to play for. He cited a poll of players.
My point is that being a perennial contender and having great coaches probably had more to do with players saying that than anything else.
I like Tomlin
Always have
I simply stated that my concerns with him have always been team discipline and whether the players would play for him like they did for Cowher. All I ever hear about is how they've been here for this coach or that coach. Mostly Lebeau.

Oviedo
03-07-2015, 12:52 PM
and I didn't say he did. I said you don't have to explain yourself to some moron forum poster. And forcing him out of town was stupid and classless anyway you slice it.
So LeBeau should have just stayed as long as he wanted whether he was doing a good job or not? Really?

What about Butler? Just screw him because LeBeau doesn't want to move on? Doesn't he matter as a member of the organization just as much as LeBeau? If we want to talk about class, the "classy" thing would had been for LeBeau to step down and give Butler a chance instead of being a "hanger on". Got to admit, it was selfish on LeBeau's part no matter how much you worship him.

feltdizz
03-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I was being tongue in cheek.
Someone said that the evidence shows that Tomlin is a coach that players want to play for. He cited a poll of players.
My point is that being a perennial contender and having great coaches probably had more to do with players saying that than anything else.
I like Tomlin
Always have
I simply stated that my concerns with him have always been team discipline and whether the players would play for him like they did for Cowher. All I ever hear about is how they've been here for this coach or that coach. Mostly Lebeau.

Players said they wanted to play for Tomlin because of Lebeau??? Yeah, that makes no sense at all.

Its not a shock to hear older vets who were here before Tomlin gush over Lebeau... that is a normal reaction and it happens in any industry when management changes and the last of the old guard is forced out.

Pretty sure every player drafted during the Tomlin era has more loyalty to Tomlin than anyone else.

Steelhere10
03-07-2015, 01:26 PM

a little common sense pleaseSo most players in the NFL wants to play for a looser slacker coach? ? Common sense please.

birtikidis
03-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Players said they wanted to play for Tomlin because of Lebeau??? Yeah, that makes no sense at all.

Its not a shock to hear older vets who were here before Tomlin gush over Lebeau... that is a normal reaction and it happens in any industry when management changes and the last of the old guard is forced out.

Pretty sure every player drafted during the Tomlin era has more loyalty to Tomlin than anyone else.
I haven't seen anyone come out of retirement because of Tomlin.
I haven't heard ONE PLAYER talk at length about him as a coach. I've heard EVERY defensive player talk about Lebeau and how much they loved to play for him.
You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

birtikidis
03-07-2015, 01:44 PM
So LeBeau should have just stayed as long as he wanted whether he was doing a good job or not? Really?

What about Butler? Just screw him because LeBeau doesn't want to move on? Doesn't he matter as a member of the organization just as much as LeBeau? If we want to talk about class, the "classy" thing would had been for LeBeau to step down and give Butler a chance instead of being a "hanger on". Got to admit, it was selfish on LeBeau's part no matter how much you worship him.
I think you make Lebeau an offer like he took in Nashville. How difficult is that to understand? Make it clear that you want him in your organization but want him to be more of a consultant.
So it's selfish to want to continue to work? Really? Only in America I guess.

Steelhere10
03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
They made him an offer reported by several outlets, but he wanted to remain a coach in some forms or fashion. So please get your facts straight.

Discipline of Steel
03-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Got to admit, it was selfish on LeBeau's part no matter how much you worship him.

You really dont have any idea what DLs personality and motives are...thats pure conjecture. The only reason you are calling him selfish is because he didnt immediately remove himself as the DC when you started bad mouthing him 4 years ago.

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2015, 02:47 PM
If we want to talk about class, the "classy" thing would had been for LeBeau to step down and give Butler a chance instead of being a "hanger on". Got to admit, it was selfish on LeBeau's part no matter how much you worship him.

When your office hires a hotshot young kid out of college and asks you to show him the ropes and be a mentor to him, you should probably do the classy thing in a few years and quit your job so the promising young guy can have it rather than you, the selfish old hanger-on.

squidkid
03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
all these DL bashers better hope the defense is in the top 5 next season

Slapstick
03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
If the defense isn't in the top 5, how much different would that be?

I do not begrudge LeBeau the ability to work. While I would have preferred having a huge retirement send off for him, I understand that he still has the want to and the wherewithal to be a good coach. Hence, I also understand the less than ceremonious way his departure was announced. One day, when he's ready to do so, I would certainly love to see some kind of recognition in Pittsburgh for his long years of outstanding service.

At the same time, I can't begrudge the Steelers for finally allowing Butler to advance within the organization after his long years of outstanding service and his tremendous loyalty. It was a difficult situation for all involved.

Steelhere10
03-07-2015, 05:30 PM
On the money slap.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Dup 10 characters.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-07-2015, 05:39 PM
I hope he retires "as a Steeler". Can coaches do that?

Also, I hope we didn't give him (Butler) the job just because he was loyal and waited his turn. I want our DC to be the best choice available, not just the most loyal.

Slapstick
03-07-2015, 07:13 PM
I think that's why they waited until the defensive performance started to deteriorate.

feltdizz
03-08-2015, 12:29 AM
all these DL bashers better hope the defense is in the top 5 next season

Why? Its not like they were in the top 5 last year. They broke all types of records (not the good ones) and struggled to get sacks, turnovers and critical stops.

birtikidis
03-09-2015, 11:45 AM
They made him an offer reported by several outlets, but he wanted to remain a coach in some forms or fashion. So please get your facts straight.
I spent three days trying to find one article that mentions ANY other position for DL. Found ONE quote from Art that stated that "IF DL came back it would have been in some other role". Maybe I'm just bad at google. doubt it though.

Steelhere10
03-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Try listening to Iheart radio sometimes, Dulac, Presuda and many more be on there.

birtikidis
03-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I haven't checked out iHeart. Not to get off topic, but is it like Pandora? I have close to 250k songs (no lie, I was a collector for a very long time) on my computer so I tend to listen to my ipod the most. What's your opinion of iheart?

phillyesq
03-09-2015, 12:08 PM
I haven't checked out iHeart. Not to get off topic, but is it like Pandora? I have close to 250k songs (no lie, I was a collector for a very long time) on my computer so I tend to listen to my ipod the most. What's your opinion of iheart?

iHeart is great for the out of state fan. There is a station for SteelersNation Radio where you get lots of the local guys. Sometimes you get live stuff (especially pregame and postgame) and other times they will replay older stuff.

Steelhere10
03-09-2015, 12:16 PM
iHeart is great for the out of state fan. There is a station for SteelersNation Radio where you get lots of the local guys. Sometimes you get live stuff (especially pregame and postgame) and other times they will replay older stuff.

Yep BNG radio, you get all the good information you need .Birt it's like Pandora but you have dedicated sports station.

squidkid
03-10-2015, 01:29 PM
im shocked that neither side has said anything yet

birtikidis
03-10-2015, 01:48 PM
im shocked that neither side has said anything yet
they don't gain anything by rushing it. If anything happens it'll be after June 1.
We all know they aren't going to be breaking the bank anyway, so no reason to get all antsy :)

squidkid
03-10-2015, 02:08 PM
they don't gain anything by rushing it. If anything happens it'll be after June 1.
We all know they aren't going to be breaking the bank anyway, so no reason to get all antsy :)

if troy retires dont we get all his cap savings now?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2015, 02:38 PM
if troy retires dont we get all his cap savings now?

I believe that retirement works the same way as waiving or trading a player. His cap hit can be accelerated into this year prior to June 1, or it can be partially pushed into next year.

FWIW - Troy has a cap hit of $8.25M this season. If cut/traded/retired before June 1 - dead money $4.5M, cap savings $3.75M. After June 1 - dead money $2.25M, cap savings $6M, with $2.25M dead money deferred to 2016.

Chadman
03-10-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm thinking that Polamalu's decline has been prematurely reported. If they were going to remove him from the roster, even as a June 1 cut, they'd have said so by now to give him time to negotiate another contract elsewhere.

We can hate on the FO as much as you like, but they wouldn't leave Troy hanging like that. They just wouldn't.

He either gets cut, or designated a June 1 cut prior to FA, or he stays.

Could he be in line for a paycut? Potentially..

Slapstick
03-10-2015, 06:41 PM
I don't know...I hope you're right.

I'm not sure that a decline can be prematurely witnessed...

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib -

Tomlin said he wouldnt be opposed moving mike mitchell to strong safety

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

Rara
03-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Mike Tomlin 'not opposed' to Mike Mitchell moving to strong safety
March, 23, 2015
MAR 23
6:40
PM ET
1114COMMENTS4EMAILPRINT
PHOENIX -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he expects Mike Mitchell to play better in 2015. He also is “not opposed” to Mitchell playing strong safety given the uncertainty at the position.

The Steelers plan to move on from 12th-year veteran Troy Polamalu, putting Shamarko Thomas in line to start at strong safety in 2015. Thomas, however, has played primarily on special teams in his first two seasons, and his inexperience coupled with Mitchell’s aggressive sensibilities could cause the Steelers to take a look at Mitchell at strong safety.

[+] EnlargeGreen
AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar
Mike Mitchell recorded 70 tackles last season despite battling a groin injury.
Mitchell, who signed a five-year, $25 million contract with the Steelers last March, started every game at free safety in 2014 and finished second on the team with 70 tackles. The sixth-year veteran did not record a sack or interception and was credited with just three passes defensed.

Mitchell became a target of fan ire even though he had to adjust to a new defense and also played through a groin injury in 2014. Tomlin said Mitchell is close to full strength and that the injury is a “non-issue.”

Familiarity with the Steelers, Tomlin said, will lead to significant improvement in Mitchell's second season with the team.

“That experience that comes with being in our environment and how we do business I think is a platform for them to improve,” Tomlin said Monday at the NFL owners meetings. “I say that all the time in regards people who have had a lap around the track with us, whether it’s an unrestricted free agent like Mike Mitchell or whether it’s a drafted guy.”

Mitchell, despite his struggles last season, is as sure a thing as the Steelers have on the back end of their defense right now.

Thomas hasn’t played significant snaps on defense since the first half of his rookie season and Polamalu has almost certainly played his last down for the Steelers even though the eight-time Pro Bowler has two years left on his contract.

The Steelers are giving Polamalu time as he mulls retiring or playing in 2015 with the hope he calls it a career so they don’t have to release him.

Team president Art Rooney II said last Friday that he had no update on Polamalu. General manager Kevin Colbert said on Sunday that the team has not set any deadline as far as Polamalu making a decision on his future.

“I’m not getting into Troy,” Tomlin said about the future Pro Football Hall of Famer. “That’s been documented. Art’s made comments and I don’t need to add on to that. It doesn’t serve as any purpose.”

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2015, 11:22 AM
NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu's legacy
By Mark Kaboly Steelers Reporter
Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:30 p.m.
Updated 13 hours ago

The Steelers are done talking about Troy Polamalu.

The rest of the league? That's another story.

Five times in the span of six days last week, Steelers team officials — from president Art Rooney II to general manager Kevin Colbert to coach Mike Tomlin — declined to speak about Polamalu's future, other than saying there's no timetable for when a decision needs to be made.

That didn't prevent NFL coaches from weighing in on Polamalu's likely departure from the Steelers, his possible retirement, and what he has meant to the league at last week's NFL meetings in Phoenix.

“One of the all-time greats, without question,” said Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan, who coached against Polamalu when he was with the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens. “The way he is, just how physical he is as a player and how passionate he is. Those are the things, when he decides to hang it up, fans are going to miss.”

The Steelers and Polamalu, who will turn 34 in April, are expected to part ways after 12 seasons.

When? No one knows. The Steelers are waiting to hear from Polamalu about whether he wants to continue to play elsewhere or retire.

While Polamalu's days with the Steelers appeared to be numbered, the league meetings provided a platform for coaches to pay homage to the certain future Hall of Famer — and one of the best safeties in NFL history.

Browns coach Mike Pettine was an assistant with the Ravens during the early part of Polamalu's career.

Pettine, who had to prepare for Polamalu 12 times while a Ravens' assistant, twice last year as Browns coach and one time each when he was defensive coordinator with the Jets and Buffalo Bills, was always impressed with Polamalu's style of play.

“He looked like he was undisciplined, but a lot of the decisions he made were very smart and intelligent,” Pettine said. “He always knew where the ball was going on the information he gathered, and he knew how to make plays. To me, that was his trademark.”

One of the biggest plays of Polamalu's career came against the Ravens. His interception of Joe Flacco late in the AFC championship game sent the Steelers to Super Bowl XLIII.

Then, late in the 2010 season and with the Steelers down 10-6 against the Ravens with three minutes left in a regular-season game, Polamalu's strip sack of Flacco led to a game-winning touchdown.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh still can't get that one out of his mind.

“You had to account for him at all times,” Harbaugh said. “We had times when we didn't account for him, and I was like, ‘He is wearing No. 43 and he has hair down to his shoulders. There's no way we should miss the guy, right? Block him. Block him, please.' ”

Polamalu, who started 142 of 158 career games, was the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He made eight Pro Bowls and was a first-team All-Pros four times.

Even though he hasn't made as many big plays recently as his speed deteriorated, Polamalu played every snap in 26 consecutive games until injuring his knee in November against the Ravens.

That run of consecutive games included a span during which Polamalu was asked to play a pseudo-linebacker role out of necessity.

“He is such an unusual guy and a unique player on how he moves around … his timing, it was as good as anybody's,” Ryan said. “That set him apart.”

Tennessee Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt, a former Steelers offensive coordinator, watched Polamalu every day in practice for four years. There wasn't a day he wasn't impressed with what he saw.

“He saw things on the football field that very few guys could see,” Whisenhunt said. “He processed things at a speed that was incredible. He had that explosive burst that he could get there and makes those plays. He had such a great feel for the game. Probably one of the best players I've been around from that standpoint.”

Harbaugh added: “I love Troy Polamalu, and every time I've talked to him he has been nothing but gracious. A wonderful guy and a great player. Wow, what a great player.”

Slapstick
03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
It is telling that all of these coaches refer to Troy's exploits as a player in the past tense...

Rara
03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
If the Steelers are "done talking about Polamalu" and everything is past tense...why didn't they just release him then? I understand that he's been there all his career and yes...would suck that he leaves...but Polamalu is dragging this on too long.

RobinCole
03-29-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't see where it's "telling". He'll be 34 in April and isn't what he was. Hasn't been for a couple years. We all know that so why wouldn't coaches around the league know it?

As Don Meredith used to sing, "Turn out the lights, the party's over. They say that all good things must end." A sad song for a sad occasion. The man made some unforgettable plays, even one that didn't count ( the INT against Manning).

squidkid
03-29-2015, 04:46 PM
It is telling that all of these coaches refer to Troy's exploits as a player in the past tense...

fyi, the season hasnt started yet so they would have to talk about the past tense play of polamalu. same as they would for any player right now

SteelBuckeye
03-29-2015, 05:31 PM
If the Steelers are "done talking about Polamalu" and everything is past tense...why didn't they just release him then? I understand that he's been there all his career and yes...would suck that he leaves...but Polamalu is dragging this on too long.

They can afford to be patient with him for the time being. The draft is still weeks away and it's not like they need the extra money to sign any free agents. Should something change, they can make a move at that time. But it's not like it's hurting them to show patience and respect for the process that he is undergoing right now.

Slapstick
03-29-2015, 05:57 PM
I don't see where it's "telling". He'll be 34 in April and isn't what he was. Hasn't been for a couple years. We all know that so why wouldn't coaches around the league know it?

As Don Meredith used to sing, "Turn out the lights, the party's over. They say that all good things must end." A sad song for a sad occasion. The man made some unforgettable plays, even one that didn't count ( the INT against Manning).

That is what those statements are telling everybody. I just hope Troy is listening.

papillon
03-30-2015, 10:35 AM
I also believe that the Steelers gain the most in cap room with a post June 1st release of Polamalu, but I'm not certain.

Pappy

K Train
03-30-2015, 10:55 AM
They save 6 million with a post june 1st, and 3.75 million if they cut him now.

No reason to eat more next year when they arent scrambling for cap space now though

SidSmythe
03-30-2015, 11:20 AM
LETS say Troy RETIRES
How does this effect the Salary Cap???

feltdizz
03-30-2015, 11:43 AM
LETS say Troy RETIRES
How does this effect the Salary Cap???

They save 6 million with a post june 1st, and 3.75 million if they cut him now.

No reason to eat more next year when they arent scrambling for cap space now though

just sayin'... not sure if it effects it any other way.

edit: my fault, I glossed over RETIRES because it was in all caps.

Flasteel
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
I continue to be amazed that there is no talk of Polamalu taking a pay cut and remaining with the team. No matter what, we are going to be eating his pro-rated bonus money, but cut him down to just above the veteran minimum and throw some not-likely to be earned incentives in there and let him come back for one more year.

I still think Polamalu can contribute to this defense...the only problem I have is how much cap space he's eating up with his salary.