PDA

View Full Version : slightly OT article on Belichick and coaching theory

D Rock
01-14-2015, 08:19 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/bill-belichick-the-nfls-scary-alex-trebek-1421173085?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

So Belichick apparently goes around quizzing all his players on sometimes random, sometimes very important facts about opposing teams and players during the week. What do you all think about this as a coaching strategy?

A great way to make players focus in and stay on their toes?
Distracting them with details that may not matter for the sake of staying the psychological top dog?

One player talked about how it forces the players to know the opponent inside and out so that they can think less and play fast on game day. I would think it also has the ability to make a player think too much during the game trying to remember all these little things all the time. Maybe those are just the players who don't cut it and don't hang around?

Whatever they are doing, toss out the past cheating, they have been incredibly consistent. 9 AFC championship games behind Brady/Belichick and 12 straight years with double digit wins. And all that even though they seem to draft like crap.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-14-2015, 10:29 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/bill-belichick-the-nfls-scary-alex-trebek-1421173085?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

So Belichick apparently goes around quizzing all his players on sometimes random, sometimes very important facts about opposing teams and players during the week. What do you all think about this as a coaching strategy?

A great way to make players focus in and stay on their toes?
Distracting them with details that may not matter for the sake of staying the psychological top dog?

One player talked about how it forces the players to know the opponent inside and out so that they can think less and play fast on game day. I would think it also has the ability to make a player think too much during the game trying to remember all these little things all the time. Maybe those are just the players who don't cut it and don't hang around?

Whatever they are doing, toss out the past cheating, they have been incredibly consistent. 9 AFC championship games behind Brady/Belichick and 12 straight years with double digit wins. And all that even though they seem to draft like crap.

Isn't that a bit like saying, "Except for that part, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play"?

Can't forget also they have been in a conference that historically has a really really bad W/L record. Despite the cheating, and the odds stacked in their favor because they are in the AFC East, their last Superbowl win was ... when?

(PS - This weekend would be a great time for Brady to throw a few picks, and then Blount make a fumble that is run back the other way with 0:00 on the clock to lose the game.)

flippy
01-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I like it. It sends a message to the players to focus on the details and broadly on the big picture. Nice little jedi mind trick here. And I suspect getting guys to commit to game film and preparation is one of the hardest things to do especially with new players.

It is also a little douchey, but I can understand why he would take this approach with a constant influx of new talent. It's very passive aggressive just like Tomlin in many ways. Every coach just needs a way to push his player's buttons. This seems to work for Bill B.

feltdizz
01-15-2015, 11:55 AM
I remember the year we went to the SB in 2011/12 when the Jets played zone in the playoffs and the Pats had NO ANSWER for it. After the game Welker and Brady admitted they prepared for man-to-man all week because the Jets NEVER play zone.

Imagine that, changing the game plan can actually help you beat a team who is familiar with your schemes?

...which probably had a lot to do with getting a W when our DB's FINALLY playing bump and run and our O went pass happy, up tempo-no huddle.

K Train
01-15-2015, 12:05 PM
I remember the year we went to the SB in 2011/12 when the Jets played zone in the playoffs and the Pats had NO ANSWER for it. After the game Welker and Brady admitted they prepared for man-to-man all week because the Jets NEVER play zone.

Imagine that, changing the game plan can actually help you beat a team who is familiar with your schemes?

...which probably had a lot to do with getting a W when our DB's FINALLY playing bump and run and our O went pass happy, up tempo-no huddle.
Like the last time the steelers beat the patriots and they played bump and run all game and kept ike in the slot on welker? Yeah, the coaches dont live in hole.

tiproast
01-15-2015, 07:38 PM
And all that even though they seem to draft like crap.
I won't bore you with a long list of draftees that are either still on the Patriots or that are starters on other teams.

Don't want to crash your server by tying up all that disk space. :D

feltdizz
01-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Like the last time the steelers beat the patriots and they played bump and run all game and kept ike in the slot on welker? Yeah, the coaches dont live in hole.

The last time? Its the only time since 2004.

What other W did you think I was talking about?

D Rock
01-15-2015, 10:52 PM
I won't bore you with a long list of draftees that are either still on the Patriots or that are starters on other teams.

Yeah I went back and looked at it again after I had posted this - that past few years have been better, but there are some stinkers in there too. It always seems like they try to be one step ahead and smarter than everyone else, and a lot of times it doesn't work out.

2006-2008 was a particularly bad stretch.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

tiproast
01-15-2015, 11:51 PM
2006-2008 was a particularly bad stretch.

I agree.

Drafts, free agents, trades - all are ways of building a team.

What counts is the final product that's on the field. Since 2001, Pats have been competitive, and have seldom been on the wrong end of blowouts or upsets. The KC game this year was a rarity.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-16-2015, 12:00 AM
I agree.

Drafts, free agents, trades - all are ways of building a team.

What counts is the final product that's on the field. Since 2001, Pats have been competitive, and have seldom been on the wrong end of blowouts or upsets. The KC game this year was a rarity.

Why am I reading about *'s draft strategies and "competitiveness" now? http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/34-Around-the-NFL

Starlifter
01-16-2015, 12:53 AM
he's a great coach by any measure. his achilles heal is that he's not encumbered by ethics, morality or a sense of fair play. he's good enough to win consistently without taking those extreme measures - yet he can't help himself. And if he fails to win another SB post spygate - even though he's a sure fire HOF'er, there will always be a huge BUT next to his name.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-16-2015, 02:01 AM
Cowher did it pretty well without cheating, one SB and umpteen championships. I'd think he ought to be in the HOF before the Mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa/Barry Bonds of NFL coaches* gets in.

How many batting titles did they win after they got busted for the juice?

hawaiiansteel
01-16-2015, 03:26 AM
he's a great coach by any measure. his achilles heal is that he's not encumbered by ethics, morality or a sense of fair play. he's good enough to win consistently without taking those extreme measures - yet he can't help himself. And if he fails to win another SB post spygate - even though he's a sure fire HOF'er, there will always be a huge BUT next to his name.

Patriots*

http://www.sportsdebateuniverse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/patriots-30.jpg

Slapstick
01-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Not to continue to pile on, possibly even worse is his poor sportsmanship...

He is as whiny and pouty after a loss as any jagoff named Harbaugh, though in his own soulless way...

D Rock
01-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Why am I reading about *'s draft strategies and "competitiveness" now? http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/34-Around-the-NFL

It's the off-season. I labeled it as OT. You're only reading about it because you chose to.

Djfan
01-16-2015, 11:10 AM
That's why I never understood the cheating. He is very good, so it was really not needed. I still think that they cheated to beat the Rams in their first SB win. The video guy even came forward.

I just can't stand him. Not that I don't respect his abilities and record, but I love the NFL (at least what it used to be), and hate those who do such things. Can't wait until he and Marcia are gone. I want to respect that organization again.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2015, 11:10 AM

Every team has their strengths and weakness when it comes to the draft. It seems to me that you guys are about as inept at selecting wideouts as we are at selecting corners...some ugly picks in there. On the other hand, we tend to be strong at drafting wideout, and you guys seem to be strong at selecting o-linemen, for instance.

D Rock
01-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Every team has their strengths and weakness when it comes to the draft. It seems to me that you guys are about as inept at selecting wideouts as we are at selecting corners...some ugly picks in there. On the other hand, we tend to be strong at drafting wideout, and you guys seem to be strong at selecting o-linemen, for instance.

It's interesting that the Steelers seem to draft best at WR. I wonder if it has to do with the history of the coaching staff playing and coaching WRs?

Tomlin was a WR at William and Mary. Fichtner and Haley have both had stints as a WR coaches. Mann has been a WR coach forever. There is a lot of experience to draw on for that position.

Ghost
01-16-2015, 11:43 AM

I'd hazard a guess that Bill doesn't see this as an Achilles heal in any sense (and possibly a strength)...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
It's the off-season. I labeled it as OT. You're only reading about it because you chose to. Originally I thought this thread was about Bellicheat*s coaching technique with a focus on whether it could be something the Steelers could use. But it's evolved to the point where Cheatriot* fans are posting how great and consistently successful they are ... really?? Just because it's the off-season, and it's labelled OT, doesn't mean its in the right place, IMO. I'd suggest "Around the NFL" might be the least offensive place on Planet Steelers to put it. If I really want to read how great the Cheatriots* are, I can probably go to their website. (Except I have a soul, and also I'd be afraid it would hijack my webcam and spy on my household!).

B&GinNC
01-16-2015, 01:22 PM
That's why I never understood the cheating. He is very good, so it was really not needed. I still think that they cheated to beat the Rams in their first SB win. The video guy even came forward.

I just can't stand him. Not that I don't respect his abilities and record, but I love the NFL (at least what it used to be), and hate those who do such things. Can't wait until he and Marcia are gone. I want to respect that organization again.

For Bonds, it was an ego thing. Bonds was a surefire HOFer and one of the best players the game had ever seen before the steroids, but his ego just couldn't take the adulation going to the guys mashing - he started using soon after the McGwire/Sosa WWE farce.

For Belichick, he suffers what might be called coaching PTSD over the loss of the Cleveland job owing to the fact that he could never get over the hump against the Steelers. His insecurities led him to go "extralegal" in making sure he won the next big game. After that, he figured out he wasn't getting caught, and it snowballed.

For what it's worth, I'm actually hoping they win through to the Super Bowl and face Seattle... given that Kraft kicked Carroll to the curb in New England despite a + .500 record to hire Belichick, I'm thinking he might have an axe to grind, and I'm guessing the game might end up looking a lot like last year's SB rout.

squidkid
01-16-2015, 03:56 PM
when he starts taking ping pong away, come see me.