PDA

View Full Version : F.T.W.orilds!! Sign this guy instead....

Dee Dub
01-14-2015, 05:06 PM
"If"..and that's a BIG IF, the Steelers are seriously considering signing/locking up Jason Worilds, why not kick the tires on this guy? If healthy, IMO, is a better 3-4 OLB. And because he has been injured 2 of the past 3 season, he "may", come at a lower than normal cost. H'es still only 28. And if healthy could provide a big lift for this defense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9277/

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2015, 05:29 PM
We could poach from our own division and take a stab at Pernell McPhee or Jabaal Sheard instead...

K Train
01-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Rather have sheard or Hughes.

Hughes came out the same year as Worilds and looked equally terrible for a while, but he turned into a pretty damn good player.

Is brandon graham a FA?

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Is brandon graham a FA?

yes, he is.

the Eagles are reportedly being very aggressive in trying to re-sign Graham due to the uncertain futures of veteran Trent Cole and 2014 first-round draft pick Marcus Smith...

phillyesq
01-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Is brandon graham a FA?

Yes. Had 5.5 sacks this year as a reserve. The Eagles spent their #1 pick on an OLB (who wasn't active most of the year) but I'd suspect that they may let Graham leave. Depending on the money I'd certainly give him a look.

K Train
01-14-2015, 06:43 PM
he was never a good fit for them...hilarious that they traded up to draft him over Earl Thomas

7 UP
01-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Point is lets look into everyone of these players. We already know what we have in Worlids. He has reached his upside IMO. So lets bring in someone who has a chance to upgrade the position. Even if it dosent end up being a huge upgrade, anyone of the players mentioned is capable of providing the same average play that Worlids did.

Slapstick
01-14-2015, 07:30 PM
I read last month that sources quote Graham as asking for a 4 year, $30 million contract. I also think he was asking for $20 million guaranteed.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-14-2015, 08:47 PM
I still see Orakpo commanding some pretty big money - more than Worilds. What about Jerry Hughes of the Bills? The biggest worry that I'd have is that he might not look as good without the Bills' DL in front of him, but he had a pretty good year and could land in that $6M range that many see Worilds going for.

papillon
01-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Before the Steelers discard Worilds they should be certain that any replacement is an upgrade, just bringing in a body to bring in a body doesn't make sense, at least Worilds is a known commodity.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Before the Steelers discard Worilds they should be certain that any replacement is an upgrade, just bringing in a body to bring in a body doesn't make sense, at least Worilds is a known commodity.

Pappy

This is true...he is a known commodity.

The problem is what we know about him...

phillyesq
01-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Pappy

For less money, I'd take a player that is not an upgrade and look to add a dynamic pass rusher in the draft. I'm fine with a mid-level replacement who can provide a stable veteran presence with the Steelers work in a young pass rusher.

papillon
01-15-2015, 09:43 AM
This is true...he is a known commodity.

The problem is what we know about him...

And, a bigger problem could be what we don't know about another player, unless the new player is an almost certain upgrade it just doesn't make sense to me. Worilds was average and paid to not be average, I get that, but bringing in another average player to replace an average player seems kind of useless. Of course, contracts come into play as well, if Worilds wants above average money for his average play then I'm sure the Steelers FO will bring in the lesser salaried average player.

Pappy

K Train
01-15-2015, 10:23 AM
I read last month that sources quote Graham as asking for a 4 year, $30 million contract. I also think he was asking for $20 million guaranteed.

That is a little high. Id say something like the Ravens gave dumervil, $26 mil, 8.5 guaranteed. Or a longer deal like the niners gave brooks....$40 million/$8.5 guaranteed for about 6.7 per year

He will never see $20 million guaranteed, unless the eagles are desperate...those are clay matthews numbers

K Train
01-15-2015, 10:24 AM
For less money, I'd take a player that is not an upgrade and look to add a dynamic pass rusher in the draft. I'm fine with a mid-level replacement who can provide a stable veteran presence with the Steelers work in a young pass rusher.

This, someone who can play the position.

They are going to have to address it in the draft, a LEO/Elephant LB would be ideal

K Train
01-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Obrien Schofield is intriguing

feltdizz
01-15-2015, 11:56 AM
awesome post title

Slapstick
01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
I think it depends on how much Butler thinks of Worilds...

Dee Dub
01-15-2015, 01:45 PM
awesome post title

Ya like that huh? Was watching Prison Ink when this brilliant idea for a post title came to me. :)

SteelCrazy
01-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Keeping Worilds to be an average OLB is a mistake. You know what you are getting from him and that isnt good enough for this Defense. Now, if Butler changes everything and the burden falls on the line and not the LB's to make most of the plays on the QB on passing downs, then maybe he is worth keeping. However, in a pass rushing scenario, they are Worilds apart and a SuperStar http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/apstlcpwr/superstar.jpg is needed. J.W. is neither a star or pass rusher

feltdizz
01-15-2015, 06:35 PM

we drafted Jones and Shazier... If Worilds is affordable, keep him.

Rara
01-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Orakpo is a no-go.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Orakpo is a no-go.

Yeah, I don't know if the Steelers want a guy who plays Scrabble with cavemen.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2015, 11:25 AM
I wonder how possible it would be to sign Ben to a big long-term deal (which would most likely decrease his cap hit next season), cut Troy with a post-June 1 designation, let Worilds/Deebo/Ike walk, cut Cortez Allen, cut Cam Thomas, cut Lance Moore, etc. then using all of those cap savings just go all in on Justin Houston, who is just reaching the prime of his career would be the next in a long line of dominant pass-rushing OLB's in the Lloyd/Porter/Harrison mold. It would need to be for more money than we've ever paid a defensive player, and we've never really offered a blockbuster-type of contract to an outside free agent, but he'd be the perfect guy for this defense. Likely a pipe dream since we'd also need to extend Heyward long term after his rookie option year, but one can dream, right. We'd need to also try to bring back Blake/McCain and draft a CB high, plus it would probably be a good idea to bring back Moats for depth. Likely impossible since we still are feeling the dead money from the Woodley deal.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2015, 01:40 PM
I wonder how possible it would be to sign Ben to a big long-term deal (which would most likely decrease his cap hit next season), cut Troy with a post-June 1 designation, let Worilds/Deebo/Ike walk, cut Cortez Allen, cut Cam Thomas, cut Lance Moore, etc. then using all of those cap savings just go all in on Justin Houston, who is just reaching the prime of his career would be the next in a long line of dominant pass-rushing OLB's in the Lloyd/Porter/Harrison mold. It would need to be for more money than we've ever paid a defensive player, and we've never really offered a blockbuster-type of contract to an outside free agent, but he'd be the perfect guy for this defense. Likely a pipe dream since we'd also need to extend Heyward long term after his rookie option year, but one can dream, right. We'd need to also try to bring back Blake/McCain and draft a CB high, plus it would probably be a good idea to bring back Moats for depth. Likely impossible since we still are feeling the dead money from the Woodley deal.

It can certainly be done, and with less wreckage than you are thinking. The cap situation - despite the Woodley dead money - is probably in about as good a place as it has been in several off-seasons. We are very close to the expected cap number now (somewhere around $143M), but there are many places to save money...starting with:

Ben is counting $18.395M as of today. He can easily be extended with a cap hit this season as low as $11-13M. That saves $5-7M.

Releasing Troy post June 1 as suggested saves $6M (but kicks $2.25M into next year). Pre June 1 saves $3.75M. Troy requires a replacement. If that guy is Shamarko then his number is already accounted for and we just add another player with minimum cap impact.

Cortez saves $1.5M, but must be replaced. The more ideal situation is that his confidence comes back, and with Houston in the fold he isn't required to cover for as long.

Cutting Thomas is about as easy a move as I can remember the FO having in recent years. Save $2M.

Lance Moore savings is $1.5M.

Remember, with all these savings, the cut players must still be replaced. If we assume that replacements starters are already on the roster (Shamarko, Tuitt, CJ Goodwin) then you probably pay a replacement player around min wage ($435K) which must be added to the cap. So, savings on a guy like Moore is not truly $1.5M, it is closer to $1M.

Taking everything into consideration, those savings still amount to around $12M - and that is with Troy being cut pre June 1. Now figure around $6M to sign the rooks, but that will also end up knocking some of the min wage earners off the cap figure. Net effect is closer to $4M. That leaves $8M to sign Houston.

Now we look at other potential cap savings:

I think Keisel's days are done. Save $1.5M - net effect around $1M.

Extend Hayward to a 5 year, $40M deal with a first year hit of around $4.5M - savings $2.5M

Now up to $11.5M

If you need more, here are a few considerations...

As mentioned, cutting Troy after June 1 = an extra $2.25M
Cutting McLendon saves about $2.25M, but only even consider if you believe that McCullers (or 2015 draft pick) is ready to start.
Cutting Heath saves $2.3M, but who replaces him?

Sign Houston to a 5 year, $70M deal with a first year cap hit around $9M. Still a few mil under, and you have gotten your wish - easier than you thought.