Steelhere10
01-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Interview on steelers.com

feltdizz
01-13-2015, 04:10 PM
oh my... Ovi, get in here!!!

Dee Dub
01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
It's the same as what Lebeau ran. He went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 all the time. The base is a 3-4 but he will vary it on occasion and run a 4-3. No story here.

Steelhere10
01-13-2015, 04:19 PM
The story here for me, when he said you got to make the Qb nervous.

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2015, 04:29 PM
oh my... Ovi, get in here!!!

Ovi is not here right now, he's at his local bar downing tequila shots in celebration...:D

Steelhere10
01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Ovi is not here right now, he's at his local bar downing tequila shots in celebration...:Dlol that's funny.

birtikidis
01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Ovi is not here right now, he's at his local bar downing tequila shots in celebration...:D
I know he's somewhere in my neck of the woods. I may need to track him down and have a few of those shots myself.
Though mine is because it makes no sense to force a legend out only to hire a guy that's going to do the exact same thing.

K Train
01-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Well, since butler has been hired I havent seen the defense improve at all...so to that i say FIRE BUTLER

Snatch98
01-13-2015, 07:18 PM
I know he's somewhere in my neck of the woods. I may need to track him down and have a few of those shots myself.
Though mine is because it makes no sense to force a legend out only to hire a guy that's going to do the exact same thing.

Where have you read or has it been implied he's going to run the exact same defense? I see that as a impossibility. Tomlin is a former defensive coordinator, Butler isn't a legend (He may be down the road, he may not be down the road) and therefore there will be MUCH less blow back if Tomlin does want to change things up. What if Lebeau coached another season. He's pretty much said he's good for one more and Butler got hired away this season? We're then gambling with guys that don't know the organization. I've said it a few times. I'm sad to see Lebeau go and it will be tough seeing him on another sideline if that does in fact happen. Why risk losing Butler? a guy that knows the players, won't have to change terminology much if at all. Butler will be able to come right in and add any and all wrinkles he pleases without much trouble. Freaking out about this is short sighted but above all else sentimental.

K Train
01-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Even if he runs a similar defensive scheme, the biggest thing about coordinating is play calling. Hes a big unknown there.

Although, for the record...when i get promoted im not going to do things the exact same way as my boss

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Well, since butler has been hired I havent seen the defense improve at all...so to that i say FIRE BUTLER

exactly...

our defense has yet to register a single sack or turnover since Butler has been hired!!

feltdizz
01-13-2015, 07:25 PM
exactly...

our defense has yet to register a single sack or turnover since Butler has been hired!!

He sucks...

Steelhere10
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Where have you read or has it been implied he's going to run the exact same defense? I see that as a impossibility. Tomlin is a former defensive coordinator, Butler isn't a legend (He may be down the road, he may not be down the road) and therefore there will be MUCH less blow back if Tomlin does want to change things up. What if Lebeau coached another season. He's pretty much said he's good for one more and Butler got hired away this season? We're then gambling with guys that don't know the organization. I've said it a few times. I'm sad to see Lebeau go and it will be tough seeing him on another sideline if that does in fact happen. Why risk losing Butler? a guy that knows the players, won't have to change terminology much if at all. Butler will be able to come right in and add any and all wrinkles he pleases without much trouble. Freaking out about this is short sighted but above all else sentimental.My thoughts exactly.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Where have you read or has it been implied he's going to run the exact same defense? I see that as a impossibility. Tomlin is a former defensive coordinator, Butler isn't a legend (He may be down the road, he may not be down the road) and therefore there will be MUCH less blow back if Tomlin does want to change things up. What if Lebeau coached another season. He's pretty much said he's good for one more and Butler got hired away this season? We're then gambling with guys that don't know the organization. I've said it a few times. I'm sad to see Lebeau go and it will be tough seeing him on another sideline if that does in fact happen. Why risk losing Butler? a guy that knows the players, won't have to change terminology much if at all. Butler will be able to come right in and add any and all wrinkles he pleases without much trouble. Freaking out about this is short sighted but above all else sentimental.
:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap

Are we allowed to make that much sense on this board?

phillyesq
01-13-2015, 07:52 PM
The exact quote is below. I think that is kind of what they ran this year. In the sub package, they essentially had a 4 man front with Worilds, Tuitt, Heyward and Harrison.

Q. Are you a 3-4 guy?

A. I would consider myself a whatever-it-takes-to-win guy. If it’s a 3-4, that’s fine, if that fits your players. I think you have to be able to fit your defense around the players you have. With what offenses are doing nowadays in the National Football League, they’re playing a lot of three wide receivers and a tight end and a running back, for the most part. In those situations, we’re going to be in kind of a 4-3 anyway, but we’re still going to be able to run the 3-4 also. It gives you a little bit more versatility, I think.

Q. So your feelings for the 3-4 are based more on what offenses around the league are doing now. Is that correct?

A. Yes. I also think there’s still a place for the 3-4, and the reason I think there’s still a place for it is because you also have to be versatile as a defense as offenses are trying to be versatile. So we don’t want to blow it up and say we won’t run the 3-4 anymore. We will run the 3-4, but we will run some 4-3 also, in our sub-package.

Oviedo
01-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Ya baby...............................hiccup! Why don't you guys ever listen

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2015, 08:37 PM
ya baby...............................hiccup! Why don't you guys ever listen

lol...... :D

Slapstick
01-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Keep saying something long enough and it may actually come true...

NorthCoast
01-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Let me get this straight. The defense is now going to have to learn two defensive schemes??? Sorry, waaay to complicated to expect rookies to come in and play right away. What is Butler thinking?

fordfixer
01-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Ya baby...............................hiccup! Why don't you guys ever listen

I'm sorry ..........what did you say? :p

papillon
01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Let me get this straight. The defense is now going to have to learn two defensive schemes??? Sorry, waaay to complicated to expect rookies to come in and play right away. What is Butler thinking?

Now they have to learn Calculus and linear Algebra. :D We'll never get a rookie on the field on defense at this rate. :p

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2015, 09:18 PM
I think you have to be able to fit your defense around the players you have.

Music to my ears!

Steelhere10
01-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Ya baby...............................hiccup! Why don't you guys ever listenDid you throw one back for me lol.

Oviedo
01-13-2015, 10:14 PM

Keep stating the truth long enough and even the blind will have no choice but to see it too:)

Oviedo
01-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Wow...Butler is really some left field kook! Actually considering the talent you have versus forcing players to perpetuate "your baby" who don't fit it

Originally Posted by Coach Butler

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2015, 10:59 PM

Come on K, give the guy some time. If no improvement by next week then we fire him.

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Come on K, give the guy some time. If no improvement by next week then we fire him.

I'm thinking it's going to take months...

pittpete
01-14-2015, 01:02 AM

That is the sentence i like to hear...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-14-2015, 01:09 AM
I've been saying Salma Hayek is my next wife for close to 20 years... hasn't quite worked out yet.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-14-2015, 01:19 AM
Wow...Butler is really some left field kook! Actually considering the talent you have versus forcing players to perpetuate "your baby" who don't fit it
and all the mocks just got torn up... might need some DE's who can actually rush the passer... like ASAP. One that has the athleticism to stand up, if needed.. Dante Fowler, anyone? Thinking Shawn mocked that - sounding better with the change.

fordfixer
01-14-2015, 01:43 AM
I've been saying Salma Hayek is my next wife for close to 20 years... hasn't quite worked out yet.

Well maybe when she's 77 it will happen

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2015, 01:43 AM
Dante Fowler, anyone?

most mocks I've seen have Dante Fowler going to the Atlanta Falcons at #8...

flippy
01-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Why in the world would you want to 'marry' her? I'm sure there's a lot easier things you could do to her ;)

Oviedo
01-14-2015, 08:58 AM
and all the mocks just got torn up... might need some DE's who can actually rush the passer... like ASAP. One that has the athleticism to stand up, if needed.. Dante Fowler, anyone? Thinking Shawn mocked that - sounding better with the change.

Shawn picked the right player but just 10-12 picks too late. No way Fowler is there for us. This is a good draft to start to reshape the roster with the players Butler wants.

K Train
01-14-2015, 10:26 AM
I think were going to want to take a leo.

Dupree seems like the best choice for where we are picking

papillon
01-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Shawn picked the right player but just 10-12 picks too late. No way Fowler is there for us. This is a good draft to start to reshape the roster with the players Butler wants.

Fowler may not be there, but if Butler is true to his word about running both 34 and 43 then that brings all the pass rushing DEs into play and potentially DTs where as staying with the 34 exclusively the Steelers wouldn't be drafting a pass rushing DE or a classic 43 DT. I think one of these guys gets to 1.22: Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, Thompson, Shelton, Goldman and Brown. I'm leaving Fowler at 1.22 there is always weirdness that happens draft day. Plus the Steelers could use CB and safety help, so if none of those players make it a CB should only 21 players can be drafted before the Steelers get to pick, a player that can help immediately should be available, IMO.

Pappy

K Train
01-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Fowler may not be there, but if Butler is true to his word about running both 34 and 43 then that brings all the pass rushing DEs into play and potentially DTs where as staying with the 34 exclusively the Steelers wouldn't be drafting a pass rushing DE or a classic 43 DT. I think one of these guys gets to 1.22: Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, Thompson, Shelton, Goldman and Brown. I'm leaving Fowler at 1.22 there is always weirdness that happens draft day. Plus the Steelers could use CB and safety help, so if none of those players make it a CB should only 21 players can be drafted before the Steelers get to pick, a player that can help immediately should be available, IMO.

Pappy
Shaq thompson? That is just looking at a list of OLBs and writing them all down, what would we do with Shaq Thompson? Hes the most obvious LB/S tweener ive ever seen. Unless you think Shazier has no future in the league, i dont even think thompson is on their board

Shelton would be an OK pick but theres bigger needs than the dline. Goldman and Brown i would not like at all. Much rather get Bennett or Goldman in 2, but i dont see a reason to address the dline until round 4 at least

Im not so sure fowler will definitely be gone either....i personally have Beasley and Ray ranked higher than him, Fowler reminds me of woodley and anthony spencer, classic tweener

papillon
01-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Shaq thompson? That is just looking at a list of OLBs and writing them all down, what would we do with Shaq Thompson? Hes the most obvious LB/S tweener ive ever seen. Unless you think Shazier has no future in the league, i dont even think thompson is on their board

Shelton would be an OK pick but theres bigger needs than the dline. Goldman and Brown i would not like at all. Much rather get Bennett or Goldman in 2, but i dont see a reason to address the dline until round 4 at least

Im not so sure fowler will definitely be gone either....i personally have Beasley and Ray ranked higher than him, Fowler reminds me of woodley and anthony spencer, classic tweener

You're tight I didn't really research the players at all, but simply thought BPA, I think all those players will be on their board, drafting them is a different question. My point was that it just opens up the draft to players that the Steelers may not have considered if you're strictly running one type of defense. On the other hand, you can't completely stock a 34 and 43 defense, so it should be an interesting draft to be certain. I am excited to see how the Steelers and Butler handle this draft it should be fun.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Sorry I've been keeping Salma to myself for all these years...so selfish of me. :D

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2015, 11:33 AM
You're tight I didn't really research the players at all, but simply thought BPA, I think all those players will be on their board, drafting them is a different question. My point was that it just opens up the draft to players that the Steelers may not have considered if you're strictly running one type of defense. On the other hand, you can't completely stock a 34 and 43 defense, so it should be an interesting draft to be certain. I am excited to see how the Steelers and Butler handle this draft it should be fun.

Pappy

He said "We will run the 3-4, but we will run some 4-3 also, in our sub-package." A four man front in the sub package is not a 4-3. It's a 4-2 in a nickel or 4-1 in dime. I suspect we could also see some 3-3 nickel and 3-2 dime as well. But I highly doubt we'll see very much of an base 4-3. In the NFL these days, teams play more nickel D than 7 man fronts anyway. Although it is possible that we could use a "big nickel" formation at time with Shazier acting as a quasi-LB/S hybrid (we've tried this in the past with Terence Garvin, but Shazier has way more raw ability to make this work than Garvin).

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2015, 03:33 PM
James C Wexell @jimwexell -

Read the Butler transcript at http://Steelers.com . As suspected, continue w/4-3 vs 3 WRs and 3-4 vs. regular personnel. #hybrids

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

steelblood
01-14-2015, 05:15 PM
yeah, nothing significant is changing schematically. LeBeau even called the nickel 4 man front a 4-3 look, I believe.

Steelhere10
01-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Things I hope change ,
10 yd cushions
Being aggressive
Blitz disguising

Slapstick
01-14-2015, 06:17 PM
I don't think the principles of the scheme are the problem. Butler is going to have to simplify the defense somehow...terminology, assignments, etc.

This may have been in the cards since they drafted Heyward (or even Hood)...making the scheme more one gap in nature instead of two gap...change the DL away from simply holding blocks to getting more upfield...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Things I hope change ,
10 yd cushions
Being aggressive
Blitz disguising
stopping the run when we need to...
DL was great when he could get you into 2nd and long or 3rd and long. Last few seasons, we've struggled to stop people's run games - which is why i'd called for NT and ILB repeatedly for about 5 years...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-14-2015, 07:48 PM

much too early to know... the eagles WR (I forget his name, Jerry rice's cousin or something) went from 3rd rounder, to too high for us to get in the first, back down to almost being there in the 2nd...

Better still, Teddy Bridgewater went from #1 overall to virtually a second rounder... (last pick day 1 due to trade up)...

MUCH to early to know

feltdizz
01-14-2015, 07:56 PM
stopping the run when we need to...
DL was great when he could get you into 2nd and long or 3rd and long. Last few seasons, we've struggled to stop people's run games - which is why i'd called for NT and ILB repeatedly for about 5 years...

Hmm.., always seemed like 3rd and long was our weakness.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-14-2015, 08:49 PM
much too early to know... the eagles WR (I forget his name, Jerry rice's cousin or something) went from 3rd rounder, to too high for us to get in the first, back down to almost being there in the 2nd...

Better still, Teddy Bridgewater went from #1 overall to virtually a second rounder... (last pick day 1 due to trade up)...

MUCH to early to know

Jarvis Jones was considered a top ten pick in January.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Things I hope change ,
10 yd cushions
Being aggressive
Blitz disguising

I'd also like to see some variety...the odd corner or safety blitz off the edge.

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Jarvis Jones was considered a top ten pick in January.

No way in hell DeCastro falls down to #24...

Steelhere10
01-14-2015, 11:50 PM
I'd also like to see some variety...the odd corner or safety blitz off the edge.Yep, haven't seen that in 4 years

hawaiiansteel
01-15-2015, 02:21 PM
No way in hell DeCastro falls down to #24...

there's no way in this world that Limas Sweed drops down to the 2nd round to us...:D

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-15-2015, 03:51 PM
there's no way in this world that Limas Sweed drops down to the 2nd round to us...:D

Or Mendenhall in the first that year. The whole world had Carolina taking him at 13. Instead they took Jonathan Stewart (who many thought would go to the Steelers). What hurts more? The fact that CJ2K was the pick right after Mendenhall, or that LT Duane Brown went three picks after the Steeler pick, in a draft where they needed a tackle? Instead the Steelers took Tony Hills in the fourth.

K Train
01-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Or Mendenhall in the first that year. The whole world had Carolina taking him at 13. Instead they took Jonathan Stewart (who many thought would go to the Steelers). What hurts more? The fact that CJ2K was the pick right after Mendenhall, or that LT Duane Brown went three picks after the Steeler pick, in a draft where they needed a tackle? Instead the Steelers took Tony Hills in the fourth.

Well they were probably going to take Mike Jenkins, who blows ass.

Couldnt imagine the bust talks had they taken Duane brown, who was a huge reach, and even in his 3rd year he was a part time player for the texans

RuthlessBurgher
01-15-2015, 05:00 PM
With 20-20 hindsight, we probably should have taken Matt Forte that year, who has a similar skill set to Le'Veon Bell in terms of being a well rounded RB who can run, catch, block, etc.

Snatch98
01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
With 20-20 hindsight, we probably should have taken Matt Forte that year, who has a similar skill set to Le'Veon Bell in terms of being a well rounded RB who can run, catch, block, etc.

Although I don't think forte holds a candle. The 20/20 game can go a million ways.