PDA

View Full Version : We would've beat Denver

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Peyton Manning was awful yesterday.

Steelhere10
01-12-2015, 10:42 AM
I knew NE and Baltimore was the toughest, but what if.

lord_of_six_rings
01-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I agree, I was telling my step son (pastor at a church outside Pueblo) that IF we could get past Balt. He better be careful w/ the locals w/ steelers and remember his "christian" values and don't rub it in too much sending manning into retirement (joke). Seriously, it would of depended / fallen on our small DB vs their size of receivers. If they hold up, we were going to NE

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 11:49 AM
I agree, I was telling my step son (pastor at a church outside Pueblo) that IF we could get past Balt. He better be careful w/ the locals w/ steelers and remember his "christian" values and don't rub it in too much sending manning into retirement (joke). Seriously, it would of depended / fallen on our small DB vs their size of receivers. If they hold up, we were going to NE

Mannings arm is done...

I wonder how Sanders feels about his QB after watching him melt in the playoffs.

papillon
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately, Peyton fell off the cliff starting around the 9th game of the season and the decline was quick. It was difficult to watch knowing there was no way for him to get the ball down the field last night. That's a game he wins 90% of the time easily. I hope he retires and doesn't try play one more year, he's been great for so long, hopefully, he'll walk away and let the next generation of QBs take the spotlight.

He's been one of the good guys for the NFL.

Pappy

squidkid
01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately, Peyton fell off the cliff starting around the 9th game of the season and the decline was quick. It was difficult to watch knowing there was no way for him to get the ball down the field last night. That's a game he wins 90% of the time easily. I hope he retires and doesn't try play one more year, he's been great for so long, hopefully, he'll walk away and let the next generation of QBs take the spotlight.

He's been one of the good guys for the NFL.

Pappy

i think he was injured the second half of the season.
i think he still has 2-3 years left in him.
even with his drop off, he is still better than 2/3 of the qbs in the league

papillon
01-12-2015, 12:32 PM
i think he was injured the second half of the season.
i think he still has 2-3 years left in him.
even with his drop off, he is still better than 2/3 of the qbs in the league

Yea, but he isn't good enough to win playoff games (IMO) any longer and I'm not sure a team would pay him to get to the playoffs and not be able to win the tournament. I guess if a team wants to put people in seats they might think about it, but I doubt Peyton goes and plays for a bottom dweller just to increase attendance.

Pappy

squidkid
01-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Yea, but he isn't good enough to win playoff games (IMO) any longer and I'm not sure a team would pay him to get to the playoffs and not be able to win the tournament. I guess if a team wants to put people in seats they might think about it, but I doubt Peyton goes and plays for a bottom dweller just to increase attendance.

Pappy

i think there is always a market for top tier qbs, even on their down side.
there are plenty of fans(even on here) that are more than happy just making the playoffs.
a .500 team without a qb might thing it would put them over the top.
i'm not ready to see the guy retire yet.

papillon
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
i think there is always a market for top tier qbs, even on their down side.
there are plenty of fans(even on here) that are more than happy just making the playoffs.
a .500 team without a qb might thing it would put them over the top.
i'm not ready to see the guy retire yet.

As a fan, I'm not ready to see him go yet either, but getting through an entire year even with the way he plays will be very difficult. I'll be surprised if he's back in Denver, maybe another team will take a chance, but I don't think it will be Denver.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 12:49 PM
I doubt anyone is willing to pay big dollars for Manning...

Maybe a team who needs to put people in the stands will take a chance on him but if I was Elway I would move on. The chances of Manning returning and playing better than last year are slim. I think we all saw a 39 year old player hit the wall.

It's like watching Jordan in a Wizards uniform. Sure, he could still get you 20 points and he was better than half the league but he didn't have it anymore and who wants to see a legend limp their way through a season.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-12-2015, 01:00 PM
With all respect, we couldn't beat Denver with Tebow in there.

IMO our problems this year, mainly being wildly inconsistent, were a consequence of being a team in transition. Sure the version of the team that beat the Colts this year would have beat Denver. But not the version that lost to the Ravens, or even the Jets.

I'm just glad ravens lost, and with Hairball whining about something again. Now, the Colts HAVE to beat the *s!!!!

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 01:07 PM
With all respect, we couldn't beat Denver with Tebow in there.

IMO our problems this year, mainly being wildly inconsistent, were a consequence of being a team in transition. Sure the version of the team that beat the Colts this year would have beat Denver. But not the version that lost to the Ravens, or even the Jets.

I'm just glad ravens lost, and with Hairball whining about something again. Now, the Colts HAVE to beat the *s!!!!

With all due respect Tim Tebow played better than Manning did yesterday...lol.

That Denver team was off and even when Manning hit WR's in the hands they dropped a few.

I think we had a good shot to beat them if we beat the Ravens. I know it's a woulda coulda shoulda moment but it was obvious early on that Manning was going to lose that game.

Then again, if we beat the Rats I bet Lebeau gives Ike a chance to redeem himself and we would have seen another 200 yard performance by a WR.

yeah, you are probably right.

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
reports say Manning played with torn quad...

Starlifter
01-12-2015, 02:03 PM
well, what if's aside - I was really hoping for san diego as opposed to a difficult game against a division rival that knows us well. and if we had played the chargers or the bungles first - I think we would have been in denver with a healthy L Bell and a good shot at another AFCG. Don't know if we would have ever had enough juice to get past NE, but our playoff draw was the worst possible outcome in my opinion. It might even have been better to lose to cincy in week 17 and have to go on the road as the #5.

but such is life.

hausparty
01-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Best thing the COLTS did yesterday was that ROUGHING the passer penalty early in the game. TORN QUAD's don't get any better when you get a hit to the legs late.
some may say dirty but to me that was SMART football! I would of done the same to RODGERS if I were the cowboys. 15 years is nothing when you face those teams.

Dee Dub
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM

We would have beaten Baltimore had Le'Veon Bell been able to play at full strength. In fact, I believe they would have run the table through the AFC.

Le'Veon Bell is a difference maker.

squidkid
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
it wouldnt have mattered who we played.
unprepared, unmotivated and soft doesnt beat too many teams in the playoffs

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
We would have beaten Baltimore had Le'Veon Bell been able to play at full strength. In fact, I believe they would have run the table through the AFC.

I agree

I know Ben is the QB but Bell is the difference maker in our passing game.

Djfan
01-12-2015, 10:44 PM
I live in "Bronco's Country" and was told by more than I thought possible that they did not want to face Pittsburgh.

NorthCoast
01-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Manning's rate of decline was shocking. What was he, 2-14 in passes longer than 10 yds?

He won't get through another 16 game season for any team, but sure another team will take a shot with him. He might be good for 8 wins anyway. Maybe Houston tries to pick him up? They were pretty close this season.

MCHammer
01-13-2015, 12:10 AM

The problem with that prediction is that the Steelers already got a chance to play Baltimore with Bell. Twice. We won one and we lost one. We actually lost the game when Bell did better statistically and we won the game when Bell was held to 20 yards on the ground and not much more in the air, but we managed to sack Flacco 4 times.

We lost to the Ravens because they got to Ben more consistently then we got to Flacco. Bell would have helped Ben overcome pressure, but I don't get how so many people simply assume we beat Baltimore with a healthy Bell.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2015, 02:01 AM
The problem with that prediction is that the Steelers already got a chance to play Baltimore with Bell. Twice. We won one and we lost one. We actually lost the game when Bell did better statistically and we won the game when Bell was held to 20 yards on the ground and not much more in the air, but we managed to sack Flacco 4 times.

We lost to the Ravens because they got to Ben more consistently then we got to Flacco. Bell would have helped Ben overcome pressure, but I don't get how so many people simply assume we beat Baltimore with a healthy Bell.

The way our OL and DL got handled by the Ratbirds, I'm not sure we win that game even with a healthy Bell.

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2015, 02:19 AM
The way our OL and DL got handled by the Ratbirds, I'm not sure we win that game even with a healthy Bell.

I agree, we lost both lines of scrimmage and it's pretty hard to win a game when you get dominated that way...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-13-2015, 02:49 AM
Munchak's Maniacs were making such great strides, doing pretty well actually, and even the D was getting game-winning pressure the last few games ... what happened? Are we just not as athletic as the Ravens (suck), or ....?

feltdizz
01-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Munchak's Maniacs were making such great strides, doing pretty well actually, and even the D was getting game-winning pressure the last few games ... what happened? Are we just not as athletic as the Ravens (suck), or ....?

Ben was under less pressure than Flacco...

sometimes the QB has to move around or bounce from the pocket to make things happen.

Flacco did this, Ben did not.

I think some fans are underestimating how Bell changes the LB's responsibility when he is in the game. The DL and LB's ave to hesitate when Bell gets touches, even if he doesn't get huge gains in the running game the threat of him popping one is enough to give our OL an advantage.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Pappy

Perspective all depends on where you are standing. In places like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, Seattle etc. Manning is nothing to consider. What if you were the GM in Buffalo? Cleveland? Houston?

Those teams won 9, 7, and 9 games respectively, and missed out on the playoffs - with QBs named Orton, Hoyer, and Fitzpatrick. Sports are funny. People make decisions based on how they want to manipulate their facts. These guys would not be saying "Great regular season QB but we'd be almost assured of one and done in the playoffs - too high a price to pay for playoff failure." They'd be saying "We almost made the playoffs with scrubs at QB. Add the GOAT and the sky is the limit!!"