PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau and Steelers agree to part ways

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac -

Dick LeBeau out as defensive coordinator. Says he and #Steelers have agreed to mutually part ways: "Time to go in a different direction."

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

Steelwolf
01-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Wow, not sure how I feel about this. thank you for all you've done sir!

brazilsteel
01-10-2015, 05:55 PM
And he's not retiring. Wow.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 05:55 PM
LeBeau resigns as Steelers’ defensive coordinator

PITTSBURGH - Calling it a “mutual parting,” Pro Football Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau told the Urbana Daily Citizen on Saturday that he is resigning as defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I’m resigning this position, not retiring,” LeBeau, 77, said in an exclusive interview with the Daily Citizen. “I had a great run in Pittsburgh. I’m grateful for all the things that have happened to me and thankful for all the support I had in Pittsburgh.”

During his tenure with the Steelers over the last 11 years, the team won two Super Bowls and his defenses were usually ranked among the best in the league.

“It was a lot of fun,” he said.

The Steelers went 11-5 and won the AFC North title this season, but injuries to key players and inexperience at several positions hampered the defense and led to speculation about LeBeau’s future with the team.

“It’s just time to make a break,” he said.

LeBeau, a London, Ohio, native, played collegiately at Ohio State and was a member of OSU’s 1957 national championship team.

He went on to have a Hall of Fame career as a defensive back with the Detroit Lions from 1959-72.

LeBeau has been an assistant or head coach in the NFL since 1973.

He was on the Cincinnati Bengals’ coaching staff during two Super Bowl seasons in the 1980s and was the head coach of the Bengals from 2000-2002.

LeBeau had two tenures as Steelers’ defensive coordinator – from 1995-96 and the most recent, which began in 2004 and included victories in Super Bowls XL and XLIII.

LeBeau, known as the architect of the modern zone blitz defensive scheme, was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010.

http://www.urbanacitizen.com/news/br...ve-coordinator

feltdizz
01-10-2015, 05:58 PM
DL had a great run...

but it was time.

DukieBoy
01-10-2015, 06:00 PM
There is a time for all things. I have appreciated Mr Lebeau and all he has contributed. What a great career he has had in football. Wishing him well. Next man up?

Meantime, wondering if this will influence James' thinking about another year in the Black&Gold.

feltdizz
01-10-2015, 06:03 PM
There is a time for all things. I have appreciated Mr Lebeau and all he has contributed. What a great career he has had in football. Wishing him well. Next man up?

Meantime, wondering if this will influence James' thinking about another year in the Black&Gold.

JH isn't coming back

AzStillers1989
01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Rex Ryan to replace?? Oh and thanks for all the great years DL. had a lot of fun watching his defenses dominate throughout certain parts of these past 11 years.

birtikidis
01-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Well the morons got their wish. Lets pray that it isn't rex f'ing ryan.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Rex Ryan to replace??

nah, it has to be Keith Butler...

Steelhere10
01-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks DICKEY. But it's time.

SidSmythe
01-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Dick LeBeau is the Greatest!!!!!!!!

All good things must come to an end.

SidSmythe
01-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Thanks DICKEY. But it's time.

Dickey?? Have some respect you TOOL!!
In Honor of Dick LeBeau. "Screw you buddy!!"

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 06:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7BSxtOIYAIgvxi.jpg:large

winwithd
01-10-2015, 06:20 PM

Maybe LeBeau will re-sign later as some sort of special assistant to the def. Coordinator. He seems to be an inspiration to a lot of the guys. AND Deebo comes back for one more ring.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

Understand it's a business but disappointed LeBeau's departure is so unceremonious. Just never thought it'd happen this way. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Iron City Inc.
01-10-2015, 06:25 PM
We were fortunate to have this HOFer in the mix and his contributions and efforts are truly appreciated.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 06:32 PM
by Gerry Dulac

The likely successor to LeBeau is linebackers coach Keith Butler, who has been with the team since 2003 and been given several indications over the years he will be the next defensive coordinator.

The Steelers have blocked opportunities for Butler to interview with other teams by increasing his pay and giving him a three-year contract when most other assistant coaches get two-year deals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/10/LeBeau-resigning-as-Steelers-defensive-coordinator/stories/201501100138

focosteeler
01-10-2015, 06:33 PM
James Harrison is gone

buccoray61
01-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Well the morons got their wish. Lets pray that it isn't rex f'ing ryan.
Yeah,they got their wish,and unless the Steelers get better players in their defensive back field,they can expect more of the same no matter who they bring in.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 06:38 PM

And I do expect Keith Butler to be promoted to DC. And shocked if the team changes to a 4-3. #Steelers

Butler has passed up multiple chances for DC jobs. Been with Steelers since '03. Worked under Colbert's cousin at Memphis. Strong ties.

You think John Mitchell is suddenly going to start teaching the 4-3? Or Butler? I just don't see that level of overhaul for contender.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 06:44 PM
And he's not retiring. Wow.

LeBeau said he did not know if he will continue to coach in the NFL.

“I don’t even know, but I’m not retiring,” LeBeau said. “There might not be anyone interested."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/10/LeBeau-resigning-as-Steelers-defensive-coordinator/stories/201501100138

7upnext
01-10-2015, 06:51 PM
by Gerry Dulac

The likely successor to LeBeau is linebackers coach Keith Butler, who has been with the team since 2003 and been given several indications over the years he will be the next defensive coordinator.

The Steelers have blocked opportunities for Butler to interview with other teams by increasing his pay and giving him a three-year contract when most other assistant coaches get two-year deals.

Great! More of the same. It was DL's system that is broke not the coach, so replacing him with someone who will run the same system makes zero sense. It's a passing league and has been for the last 4 years. They've been chewed up by any half way decent QB since then and the epitome of soft and mediocre since being exposed by GB in the SB.

DL was a great coach but times change and you have to change with them. He couldn't and I doubt a guy running his system will either

Oviedo
01-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Not necessarily. If they really want to go in a different direction

buccoray61
01-10-2015, 06:53 PM
LeBeau said he did not know if he will continue to coach in the NFL.

“I don’t even know, but I’m not retiring,” LeBeau said. “There might not be anyone interested."

He could end up in Arizona if Todd Bowles gets a head coaching job.

Oviedo
01-10-2015, 06:53 PM
LeBeau had a great run, however the last few years were not good and like any coach or player if you aren't getting it done it is probably time to go with someone else

Oviedo
01-10-2015, 06:56 PM

And I do expect Keith Butler to be promoted to DC. And shocked if the team changes to a 4-3. #Steelers

Butler has passed up multiple chances for DC jobs. Been with Steelers since '03. Worked under Colbert's cousin at Memphis. Strong ties.

You think John Mitchell is suddenly going to start teaching the 4-3? Or Butler? I just don't see that level of overhaul for contender.

If true, the Steelers may have been getting multiple iquiries to interview Butler and he made it known he would leave if offered a position. That may have forced Rooney's hand on this.

birtikidis
01-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Yeah,they got their wish,and unless the Steelers get better players in their defensive back field,they can expect more of the same no matter who they bring in.
Exactly. But the idiots can figure that out.

Oviedo
01-10-2015, 07:19 PM

It's unfortunate you take this position like anyone on this board had anything to do with this. The organization and the football professionals made this decision, not fans on the internet. Everything comes to an end and clearly our defense has slipped the past several years.

We have no idea what discussions took place within the organization. Perhaps he was told changes had to be made and he refused. Perhaps he has been told that for awhile and was stubborn. We will likely never know, but this organization would not make a tough decision like this unless they felt there were real issues to making the team better.

LeBeau had a good run in his time here and now the next guy, whoever that is, needs to do a better job. But don't vent on other fans like they somehow made this happen. That is just ridiculous.

feltdizz
01-10-2015, 07:24 PM

the FO are idiots?

SteelCrazy
01-10-2015, 08:03 PM
LMAO! This is a huge mistake! Lets see how many top 5's we'll have onDefense in the next 5 years...my guess will be zero.

Slapstick
01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
We'll see. It's not like the Steelers were a top 5 D at any rate.

Oviedo
01-10-2015, 08:10 PM
We'll see. It's not like the Steelers were a top 5 D at any rate.

Something the fan club wants to pretend wasn't true. Past successes are not a predictor of future success

Slapstick
01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
But consistent past success is such an indicator. The Steelers may live to regret today.

Or, maybe not.

7 UP
01-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Sorry to see him go, but this is the right time. I would like to see someone with a fresh take come in and have a shot at this thing. I am 100% opposed to Keith Butler getting this job. If you were going to do that, you should have just kept Lebeau.

Oviedo
01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Sorry to see him go, but this is the right time. I would like to see someone with a fresh take come in and have a shot at this thing. I am 100% opposed to Keith Butler getting this job. If you were going to do that, you should have just kept Lebeau.

Unless Butler wants to make changes and couldn't under LeBeau. If more of the same I agree with you...why bother?

Eddie Spaghetti
01-10-2015, 09:33 PM
mitchell needs to go too

lebeaus biggest failing was not getting younger players into the mix sooner, imo, and mitchell is a big part of that

flippy
01-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Time for a complete overhaul imho. We need to turn this D around and do it quick. A system that allows young guys to come in and contribute right away might not be so bad because we have a closing window with Ben.

It's a shame we didn't try this sooner.

The only great player we have on this unit today is Cam Heyward imho. Timmons, Gay, and Worilds are solid pieces. Beyond that, I'm really not sure what we have.

I like McClendon and think he can continue to develop into a solid contributor.

Hopefully we can quickly figure out how to make guys like Tuitt, Shazier, and Jones productive quickly. It'd be great if we can get Cortez back on track and performing like he's capable. It'd be awesome to see something from Shark who's shown flashes of talent on ST. Spence and Williams have shown flashes of talent. And I think our DBs have improved a bit and could be a strong unit.

In reality, if we can get a pass rush going and either draft or get Tez playing like a lockdown corner, we might not be far from being good. But it's still question marks across the board at this point.

fezziwig
01-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Big mistake.... Sorry Dick Lebeau that you couldn't make chicken soup out of chicken crap

Djfan
01-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Sad, but it was going to happen some day. Thank you Coach LeBeau. You are a great for all time.

fezziwig
01-10-2015, 10:34 PM
What they managed to pull off this season with the troubles they had, no coach should have had to go. Well, maybe the ones that thought Cortez Allen, Mike Mitchell were go to guys. And maybe our last two number one picks were reasons to be fired up at Lebeau, Tomlin or Colbert. That's just it though. We really don't know who decides what. Maybe it was Lebeau pounding his fist that these guys were the guys he wanted ? Maybe they all agreed. In any event, Lebeau should have remained.

Steelhere10
01-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Tomlin exact words in his end of the season press conference ....
We kind of warmed up to applying pressure on the Qb. MADE it sound like stubbornness from the DC. LIKE I said before people thought Ray Horton was trash and he turned out pretty good, maybe if it's Butler he will turn out good.

papillon
01-10-2015, 11:57 PM
I hope Keith Butler gets the job that will be beautiful.

Pappy

SS Laser
01-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Butler may run a 3-4 zone blitz scheme but it will be different IMO. DL called the plays. Butler can and will call different plays then DL would. Butler will also use some of the same plays to piss off some here.:) Just like with BA it was time for a change and the coach did not have that same plan as the FO/HC. It sucks that DL was not ready to retire at freaking 77. But it IS time for a change in who calls the D plays. I know this was maybe the lowest level of talent that DL had but was it not the worst D he coached as a Steeler? I would like to see him in a different position with the Steelers. But not sure that would workout either. Give the new DC his position or don't. Sad day for sure and shocking. I also think this will help Ike, Troy, Da Beard, and maybe JH decide to walk into the sunset. Which is also sad but maybe time. Sink or swim for the 2015 Steelers D. Hey OVI one step closer to your dream day! :)

Starlifter
01-11-2015, 01:00 AM
I don't know what to think about this. DL is a great coach and we've had wonderful success with him. It's also true we began a slide just prior to our last superbowl victory that continues to the present. As an amateur, I'm not going to state 'why' - but I think it's a fair assessment that we currently don't have an impact player on defense - or more specifically a player on this team making such an impact that the opposing team has to game plan around them. I don't think we really confuse anyone with our packages - at least not within the division, and to my amateur eye, we appear very slow.

The mark of a great defense is a unit that is relentless, intimidating, fast and confusing with it's scheme. None of those apply to our recent versions of the steel curtain.

now, is the problem DL? is it the players? bit of both?

I have no friggin idea. so I have no idea if I should be happy with this news or not. if butler is the replacement and our philosophy stays the same, well I guess we'll see then if it's the players as opposed to the scheme.

either way, while this may have been inevitable - I'm not inspired with confidence for next year.

It will also be interesting to see if this was finally the power play by tomlin to get control of the defense and run the scheme HE wants. I guess that will be answered by if butler gets the job or not.

SteelBucks
01-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Big mistake.... Sorry Dick Lebeau that you couldn't make chicken soup out of chicken crap

I agree. You can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

Thanks for the memories Coach LeBeau!

Silicor
01-11-2015, 01:12 AM
I loved Coach L, but it is time. He may have a few years left in him, but there is no escaping father time. Let's get our new coach and start the transition. With the offense we have now, we can still win during the transition.

Slapstick
01-11-2015, 01:26 AM
For those worried about Butler being "more of the same", his influences run deeper than just LeBeau...

Butler thrived in Tom Catlin's 3-4 defense in Seattle...Butler was described as an extension of Catlin on the field...Catlin learned the 3-4 from Bud Wilkinson...

As a coach, Butler first worked for Joe Lee Dunn...who basically invented the 3-3-5 defense and blitzed a bajillion different ways...

Butler also has 4-3 experience gained in Memphis after Dunn left and in Cleveland with Romeo Crennel and Butch Davis...

He had lots of football experience before coming to Pittsburgh...if he's the guy, I hope he soaked up everything that he could from Coach LeBeau and adds it to his own philosophy, scheme and defensive calls...

SS Laser
01-11-2015, 01:37 AM
If Butler get his chance things will change IMO. If Butler is the new DC it will be very interesting to see who is the LB's coach. Porter maybe or a "Tomlin guy"? Also Starlifter said He is not inspired with confidence for next season. Is that because there will be a new DC or because of the players on the roster right now? I feel just a tad better with a move of some sort and excited for the draft and FA. Will try to come back to this thread and see how the DC change with the draft/FA work out. It was time for a shake up some were on D with this being a bad Steelers D. There is still a ton more work to do this off season before I will feel good about this D. Have a feeling I may not feel better till middle or even late next season to see how this move and others play out good or bad.

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2015, 02:18 AM
If Butler get his chance things will change IMO. If Butler is the new DC it will be very interesting to see who is the LB's coach. Porter maybe or a "Tomlin guy"?

I think that Jerry Olsavsky should have the inside track...

Shoe
01-11-2015, 03:39 AM
It's unfortunate you take this position like anyone on this board had anything to do with this. The organization and the football professionals made this decision, not fans on the internet. Everything comes to an end and clearly our defense has slipped the past several years.

We have no idea what discussions took place within the organization. Perhaps he was told changes had to be made and he refused. Perhaps he has been told that for awhile and was stubborn. We will likely never know, but this organization would not make a tough decision like this unless they felt there were real issues to making the team better.

LeBeau had a good run in his time here and now the next guy, whoever that is, needs to do a better job. But don't vent on other fans like they somehow made this happen. That is just ridiculous.

Exactly!
Get off your high horse, birtikidis... as if the fans had anything to do with this. In any case, the man is 77-years old. In three years, he'll be 80. EIGHTY.

When has there ever been an 80-year old man in the NFL as a coach of any kind, let alone a coordinator. By all accounts, DL the person is an awesome individual and someone who will be missed. But it is not like we are giving away the next Bill Belichick here. Arians will hire him in AZ.

WVSteelerfan
01-11-2015, 04:56 AM
Butler has a ton of background from different schemes he has been involved with in the past. Personally I look for his defense to be ultra-aggressive. Don't be surprised to see some 3-3 looks with Shazier dropping out to the edge as a DB, allowing him to cover a back or TE or blitz off the corner. I think Shazier is gonna be seen all over the field. Maybe not like Troy used to, but he is athletic enough to do more than line up 3 yds behind the nose tackle. Blitzes are gonna come from everywhere. QB pressure is gonna be a focus point. I think backend coverage is gonna be tweeked in certain situations depending on the call up front, down and distance. Hopefully they go to a 1 gap responsibility more than a 2 gap. That will allow everyone to play faster and more aggressive.

Chadman
01-11-2015, 05:09 AM
For those worried about Butler being "more of the same", his influences run deeper than just LeBeau...

Butler thrived in Tom Catlin's 3-4 defense in Seattle...Butler was described as an extension of Catlin on the field...Catlin learned the 3-4 from Bud Wilkinson...

As a coach, Butler first worked for Joe Lee Dunn...who basically invented the 3-3-5 defense and blitzed a bajillion different ways...

Butler also has 4-3 experience gained in Memphis after Dunn left and in Cleveland with Romeo Crennel and Butch Davis...

He had lots of football experience before coming to Pittsburgh...if he's the guy, I hope he soaked up everything that he could from Coach LeBeau and adds it to his own philosophy, scheme and defensive calls...

Interestingly- in 1998 at Memphis, Butler was D-coordinator while one M.Tomlin served as DB coach - not like the two have completely different backgrounds.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 08:15 AM
I would expect it will be Butler. We will know very soon. If it's Butler,I would imagine the would make the announcement soon,if there's silence,something might be brewing.

Shawn
01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
There will not be a switch in scheme or any major up haul. What I suspect is that Butler will simplify what they do in order to get younger guys on the field quicker. He will throw in his own flavor and touches. But, to the naked eye it won't look much different. There won't be any switch to a 4-3. That would take a major overhaul and teams with a franchise QB who went 11-5 don't dismantle a system. Sorry O.

Shawn
01-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Butler has a ton of background from different schemes he has been involved with in the past. Personally I look for his defense to be ultra-aggressive. Don't be surprised to see some 3-3 looks with Shazier dropping out to the edge as a DB, allowing him to cover a back or TE or blitz off the corner. I think Shazier is gonna be seen all over the field. Maybe not like Troy used to, but he is athletic enough to do more than line up 3 yds behind the nose tackle. Blitzes are gonna come from everywhere. QB pressure is gonna be a focus point. I think backend coverage is gonna be tweeked in certain situations depending on the call up front, down and distance. Hopefully they go to a 1 gap responsibility more than a 2 gap. That will allow everyone to play faster and more aggressive. I think this is money.

squidkid
01-11-2015, 09:17 AM
someone had to be the scapegoat.

NorthCoast
01-11-2015, 09:23 AM
What they managed to pull off this season with the troubles they had, no coach should have had to go. Well, maybe the ones that thought Cortez Allen, Mike Mitchell were go to guys. And maybe our last two number one picks were reasons to be fired up at Lebeau, Tomlin or Colbert. That's just it though. We really don't know who decides what. Maybe it was Lebeau pounding his fist that these guys were the guys he wanted ? Maybe they all agreed. In any event, Lebeau should have remained.

If LeBeau was part of the player selection process, then this could be a sign that he has slipped in his evaluation process.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 09:26 AM
someone had to be the scapegoat.

if we put up our defensive stats the last 3 years and didnt put a name next to the defense I'm pretty sure most fans would want the DC fired.

The only reason DL stayed this long is because his name is Lebeau.. any other DC would have been let got last year.

NorthCoast
01-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Understand it's a business but disappointed LeBeau's departure is so unceremonious. Just never thought it'd happen this way. #Steelers

My experience is that when parting happens this way it is never really "mutual". One party got their wish and one didn't.

NorthCoast
01-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Butler has a ton of background from different schemes he has been involved with in the past. Personally I look for his defense to be ultra-aggressive. Don't be surprised to see some 3-3 looks with Shazier dropping out to the edge as a DB, allowing him to cover a back or TE or blitz off the corner. I think Shazier is gonna be seen all over the field. Maybe not like Troy used to, but he is athletic enough to do more than line up 3 yds behind the nose tackle. Blitzes are gonna come from everywhere. QB pressure is gonna be a focus point. I think backend coverage is gonna be tweeked in certain situations depending on the call up front, down and distance. Hopefully they go to a 1 gap responsibility more than a 2 gap. That will allow everyone to play faster and more aggressive.

Wow.....And fans were complaining that DL's schemes were too complicated???????

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 09:30 AM
ESPN reportd the Bills are hiring Rex Ryan...

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 09:32 AM

Yeah,I posted that in the NFL forum.....talk about a bad fit.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Yeah,I posted that in the NFL forum.....talk about a bad fit.

Just wanted to make sure his name didnt come up in here anymore...lol

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Just wanted to make sure his name didnt come up in here anymore...lol

Good thinking! LOL!

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 10:11 AM
If Butler get his chance things will change IMO. If Butler is the new DC it will be very interesting to see who is the LB's coach. Porter maybe or a "Tomlin guy"? Also Starlifter said He is not inspired with confidence for next season. Is that because there will be a new DC or because of the players on the roster right now? I feel just a tad better with a move of some sort and excited for the draft and FA. Will try to come back to this thread and see how the DC change with the draft/FA work out. It was time for a shake up some were on D with this being a bad Steelers D. There is still a ton more work to do this off season before I will feel good about this D. Have a feeling I may not feel better till middle or even late next season to see how this move and others play out good or bad.

The draft will be very interesting and telling about the direction for the future. I'm most interested to see if Butler, or whoever the next guy is, starts to get young players on the field sooner doing more.

Slapstick
01-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Interestingly- in 1998 at Memphis, Butler was D-coordinator while one M.Tomlin served as DB coach - not like the two have completely different backgrounds.

They worked together at Arkansas State as well...

Slapstick
01-11-2015, 10:12 AM
I think that Jerry Olsavsky should have the inside track...

Why not both? Olsavsky for inside backers and Porter for outside backers...

Mr.wizard
01-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Im excited to see what happens now, not sure why people are viewing this as a bad thing, seems like there is nowhere to go but up.

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 10:14 AM
If LeBeau was part of the player selection process, then this could be a sign that he has slipped in his evaluation process.

Do you really believe that a coach with 50 years experience was excluded from evaluating talent for his unit? That is an unrealistic belief but convenient for those who didn't want to scratch LeBeau's Teflon coating for his responsibility for the struggles on defense

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
if we put up our defensive stats the last 3 years and didnt put a name next to the defense I'm pretty sure most fans would want the DC fired.

The only reason DL stayed this long is because his name is Lebeau.. any other DC would have been let got last year.

Truth. And the fans crying over LeBeu's departure would have been the ones screaming to fire the guy.

NorthCoast
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
The draft will be very interesting and telling about the direction for the future. I'm most interested to see if Butler, or whoever the next guy is, starts to get young players on the field sooner doing more.

With Ike Taylor and Troy out a combined 16 games this was the youngest starting defense in over a decade. How young do you want to get? All rookies on the field???

squidkid
01-11-2015, 10:20 AM

what stats?
2014 18th
2013 14th
2012 6th

this was our rankings for point allowed.
so every DC that finished below 18th, 14th and 6th those years were fired?

Starlifter
01-11-2015, 10:20 AM
will be interesting to see the impact of DL's departure on troy and ike.

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 10:25 AM
From the PG this morning

DickLeBeau resigning as Steelers defensive coordinator

January 10, 20155:02 PM

ByGerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TheSteelers and longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau have mutually agreed to part ways, the first but most significant step as the team prepares to move forward with younger players and, apparently, afresh approach.

Mr.LeBeau, one of the most revered defensive coordinators in the National Football League who is regarded as the architect of the zone blitz that is copied by many other teams, agreed to resign after meetings over several days with Coach Mike Tomlin.

“I’m resigning, I’m not retiring,” Mr. LeBeau said Saturday in a phone interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It was a lot of great days, a lot of great years. It’s time to go in a different direction.” He broke the news in the Urbana Daily Citizen, a newspaper near his hometown of London, Ohio.

The mutual parting was reminiscent of the announcement three years ago that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians had agreed to “retire”when in fact team president Art Rooney II told him he would not be offered a new contract. A week later, Mr. Arians joined the Indianapolis Colts as offensive coordinator.

Ina statement released by the Steelers, Mr. Tomlin said, “We want to thank Dick for his many years of service with the team and all thathe has done for this organization. His coaching helped lead us to many successful seasons and championships. We are very appreciative of his efforts, and we wish him well.”

Mr.LeBeau, 77, just completed his 11th season in his second tour of duty with the Steelers. His defense finished 18th overall in the league,including 27th against the pass. The Steelers allowed 15 pass plays of 40 yards or longer, second most in the league behind the Philadelphia Eagles (18). It was the second season in a row the Steelers allowed more long pass plays than any team in the AFC.

However,during his tenure with the Steelers, Mr. LeBeau’s defense ranked No. 1 overall in the league five times and in the top five 10 times.

“It happens,” said Mr. LeBeau, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who has spent 56 years in the league as a player and coach.“It’s like I’m starting brand new. In this business you can end up in that position.”

The likely successor to Mr. LeBeau is linebackers coach Keith Butler, who has been with the team since 2003 and been given several indications over the years that he will be the next defensive coordinator.

The Steelers have blocked opportunities for Mr. Butler to interview with other teams by increasing his pay and giving him a three-year contract when most other assistant coaches get two-year deals.

However,Mr. Butler’s latest contract expired after the season and he could choose to explore opportunities with other teams.

The decision to part ways with Mr. LeBeau comes at a time when the Steelers are likely to part with as many as four more players whohelped them get to three Super Bowls — linebacker James Harrison,defensive end Brett Keisel, cornerback Ike Taylor and possibly safety Troy Polamalu.

Earlier this season, Mr. Harrison told the Post-Gazette the decline of the Steelers’ defense was not Mr. LeBeau’s fault.

“The scheme is the same, the calls are the same,” Mr. Harrison said.“The defense works. It’s been proven that it works for years and years. The defense has always been ranked in the top nine or 10 since coach LeBeau got here, except for the last year and now. The only thing that changes is the players.”Mr.LeBeau joined the Steelers in 1992 as a secondary coach on BillCowher’s first staff and remained in that position until 1995, when he was promoted to defensive coordinator. But, after one season in that role, he left to become assistant head coach/​defensive coordinator with the Cincinnati Bengals, where he eventually became head coach from 2000 to 2002.

In 2004, he returned to the Steelers for his second stint as defensive coordinator and quickly produced the No. 1 total defense and rushing defense in the league. In 2005, the Steelers stopped four of the league’s top five offenses in the postseason on their way to their fifth Super Bowl championship.In 2008, the Steelers led the league in total defense, pass defense and points allowed and finished second against the run and won another Super Bowl title. That same year, Mr. Harrison was named the league’s defensive player of the year.

Two years later, Mr. LeBeau’s defense led the league in eight defensive categories and shattered the franchise record for rushing yards allowed per game (62.8). Mr. Polamalu led a secondary that produced 21 interceptions and he was named the AFC defensive player of theyear.

Mr.LeBeau said he did not know if he will continue to coach in the NFL or elsewhere.“Idon’t even know, but I’m not retiring,” Mr. LeBeau said. “There might not be anyone interested.”

buccoray61

I'd bet money they're gone,along with Harrison.

BradshawsHairdresser
I thought they were both leaving, even before the news that DL is.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Exactly!
Get off your high horse, birtikidis... as if the fans had anything to do with this. In any case, the man is 77-years old. In three years, he'll be 80. EIGHTY.

When has there ever been an 80-year old man in the NFL as a coach of any kind, let alone a coordinator. By all accounts, DL the person is an awesome individual and someone who will be missed. But it is not like we are giving away the next Bill Belichick here. Arians will hire him in AZ.I agree and then to call the ones who was calling for this morons, makes him sound like a childish, spoiled fool.

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
I'd bet money they're gone,along with Harrison.
Harrison should be the only one asked back and if the $$$ are right he will be.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Truth. And the fans crying over LeBeu's departure would have been the ones screaming to fire the guy.

You can't get worse on D for 3 years straight and keep your job as a coordinator

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 10:34 AM
what stats?
2014 18th
2013 14th
2012 6th

so every DC that finished below 18th, 14th and 6th those years were fired?

Yeah....no.

thats exactly what I didnt say.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Harrison should be the only one asked back and if the $$$ are right he will be.

I don't know if it's true or not,but I read somewhere that the only reason Harrison came back was because of LeBeau.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 10:37 AM
what stats?
2014 18th
2013 14th
2012 6th

so every DC that finished below 18th, 14th and 6th those years were fired?What about sacks, TO and big plays allowed where sir near the bottom of the list.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 10:41 AM
what stats?
2014 18th
2013 14th
2012 6th

so every DC that finished below 18th, 14th and 6th those years were fired?what about TO ,sacks and big plays allowed where they been sitting on the bottom for well over 5 years.

squidkid
01-11-2015, 10:41 AM
What about sacks, TO and big plays allowed where sir near the bottom of the list.

whats more important when it comes to winning games. giving up fewer points while having less sacks and turnovers or having higher sacks and takeaways and giving up more points per game?

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 10:45 AM
whats more important when it comes to winning games. giving up fewer points while having less sacks and turnovers or having higher sacks and takeaways and giving up more points per game?depends on if your offense is struggling or not.

squidkid
01-11-2015, 10:47 AM
depends on if your offense is struggling or not.

really?
you think you have a better chance at winning a football game by giving up more points compared to giving up fewer points........wow

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 10:50 AM
The more defining this is to me . Take one team for example NE, EVERY team in this division plays them tuff excluding this year, including Cleveland with the exception of one DC and guess who that would be.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 10:53 AM
really?
you think you have a better chance at winning a football game by giving up more points compared to giving up fewer points........wowsee your question is kinda of tricky because getting TO and sacks would be indirect to a lot of things lIke keeping the balls in your offense hands or getting off the field.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 10:53 AM
what about TO ,sacks and big plays allowed where they been sitting on the bottom for well over 5 years.

Shh... reading comprehension isn't his strong point.

Our D has been trending down for 3 or 4 years, it was time for a change. Its not like DL was in his 50's.

Mr.wizard
01-11-2015, 10:56 AM
really?
you think you have a better chance at winning a football game by giving up more points compared to giving up fewer points........wow

Well the type of D we were playing was allowing long drives trying to not give up big plays and force field goals, the problem is when you play like that you lose in time of possession and your offense also doesn't get as many opportunities to score. Its something really hard to gauge by just looking at points allowed.

squidkid
01-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Shh... reading comprehension isn't his strong point.

Our D has been trending down for 3 or 4 years, it was time for a change. Its not like DL was in his 50's.

nice try, you lose again.

steelsnis
01-11-2015, 11:02 AM
My read on this whole thing is that for the past few seasons, the Steelers as an organization were probably waiting for LeBeau to announce he was retiring, yet each and every year he said he wanted to come back.

I'm sure they wanted to let him go out on his own terms but there comes a point where you have to get on with it.

Love LeBeau, but excited to see some fresh ideas and schemes coming in.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Good article on the Depot, explaining the team rebuilding without him.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 11:13 AM
nice try, you lose again.

LOL... so you are saying DC's who see their rankings fall off a cliff for 3 straight years dont get fired?

So you are saying teams are better off retaining a DC who's points allowed slipped 12 spots?

Yeah.... ok.

squidkid
01-11-2015, 11:39 AM
LOL... so you are saying DC's who see their rankings fall off a cliff for 3 straight years dont get fired?

So you are saying teams are better off retaining a DC who's points allowed slipped 12 spots?

Yeah.... ok.

YOU said, "any other DC not named Lebeau would have been let got last year".
i showed you exactly were YOU said those things, now go ahead and show me where i said DCs never get fired or shouldnt get fired if their ranking fall 3 straight years.
while you are at it, show me where i said they should retain their DCs when they slip 12 spots..
while you're looking for that, i'll be here waiting and laughing at you.

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Good article on the Depot, explaining the team rebuilding without him.

Link please

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 12:20 PM
You can't post their link but go to
Steelersdepot.com

fezziwig
01-11-2015, 12:28 PM
I wonder what team will pick up Lebeau ?

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 12:37 PM
I wonder what team will pick up Lebeau ?I hope the Cardinals , so a direct comparison will be made with their former DC. So the fans could see he's not that genius anymore and the right move was made.

pfelix73
01-11-2015, 12:46 PM
I hope the Cardinals , so a direct comparison will be made with their former DC. So the fans could see he's not that genius anymore and the right move was made.

???? What if he goes there and is a total success?

phillyesq
01-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Dick LeBeau was a huge part of the Steelers' recent success. He is the common denominator for all of the Super Bowls in the post-Noll era. He did amazing work for the team and I wish him the best. More than being a great coach, he seemed to be a great guy.

I do wish that his departure was handled better, instead of being another ambiguous departure situation like Arians.

phillyesq
01-11-2015, 12:47 PM
I hope the Cardinals , so a direct comparison will be made with their former DC. So the fans could see he's not that genius anymore and the right move was made.

You must have been miserable when the defense played well throughout the majority of his tenure.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Why would I be miserable?? I WAS when this defense became garbage and the likes of Brady laughing at our defense.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 12:54 PM
???? What if he goes there and is a total success?then I Will admit, it was his players.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 12:57 PM
YOU said, "any other DC not named Lebeau would have been let got last year".
i showed you exactly were YOU said those things, now go ahead and show me where i said DCs never get fired or shouldnt get fired if their ranking fall 3 straight years.
while you are at it, show me where i said they should retain their DCs when they slip 12 spots..
while you're looking for that, i'll be here waiting and laughing at you.

LOL... I think you missed the sarcasm in my post. You never respond to what is said in a post and always use the "so you are saying" to move the goal post

I stand by the point that any DC not named Lebeau would have been fired last year. We broke a ton of defensive records last year and not in a good way.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I loved DICKEY with he was innovative, but that's been gone for a god four years now. And a change was needed.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 01:00 PM
You must have been miserable when the defense played well throughout the majority of his tenure.

or maybe he was miserable these last 3 years watching the D struggle.

If DL was younger I could see the argument for keeping him. The D is young and it's the perfect time to replace a 77 year old legend.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Why? So you can thump your chest and say "'I'm right"? Most of the fans that support LeBeau,if they are honest, feel that it is time for a change. What they have a problem with is attitudes of fans like you

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 01:03 PM
How many corner blitzes can you count in the last four years, or a blitz overload? ?? That's been missing for a while and it became predictable and stale.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Why? So you can thump your chest and say "'I'm right"? Most of the fans that support LeBeau,if they are honest, feel that it is time for a change. What they have a problem with is attitudes of fans like youfans like me who want the team to win at all cost or fans like you who become sentiment about players/coaches and winning become secondary.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Dick LeBeau was a huge part of the Steelers' recent success. He is the common denominator for all of the Super Bowls in the post-Noll era. He did amazing work for the team and I wish him the best. More than being a great coach, he seemed to be a great guy.

I do wish that his departure was handled better, instead of being another ambiguous departure situation like Arians.

I took the "I'm not retiring" as a dig at the the FO

pittpete
01-11-2015, 01:10 PM

So how should it have been handled.
You have a man who wants to continue coaching and an organization that no longer wants him to coach.
Would firing him have been a better move?

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 01:14 PM
fans like me who want the team to win at all cost or fans like you who become sentiment about players/coaches and winning become secondary.

Not at all. I stated that many LeBeau supporters (myself included) realize that a change might be good. The thing most of us have a problem with is attitudes like you as much as said,that LeBeau goes somewhere else and fails. The man was a legend here. Why can't you wish him well and leave it at that?

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 01:19 PM
I do wish him well and loved DL years ago , but the time comes for everybody including him.

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 01:22 PM
I do wish him well and loved DL years ago , but the time comes for everybody including him.
My sentiments exactly. Thanks for the memories, but lets get some new memories.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Not at all. I stated that many LeBeau supporters (myself included) realize that a change might be good. The thing most of us have a problem with is attitudes like you as much as said,that LeBeau goes somewhere else and fails. The man was a legend here. Why can't you wish him well and leave it at that?

Some fans don't want a coach or player to succeed once they leave Pittsburgh. I'm not one of those fans but they exist. I don't understand it but that's how some fans operate.

phillyesq
01-11-2015, 02:20 PM
or maybe he was miserable these last 3 years watching the D struggle.

If DL was younger I could see the argument for keeping him. The D is young and it's the perfect time to replace a 77 year old legend.

I understand that rationale, one which you are able to articulate without childish name calling. Given his constant use of "Dickey" to refer to somebody who deserves more respect, it appears that he has some personal animosity.

DukieBoy
01-11-2015, 02:29 PM

If this is true they'll have to keep their feet covered up in Buffalo.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=phillyesq;634911]I understand that rationale, one which you are able to articulate without childish name calling. Given his constant use of "Dickey" to refer to somebody who deserves more respect, it appears that he has some personal animosity.[/QUOTE
Like that guy who used to post here,and misspell his name on purpose and claim he didn't.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Oh DICKEY is insulting name lol. I think grand dad or grandpa. Is worse. When did the word DICKEY become insulting. But you say nothing about when posters call someone morons or idiots or tools etc. Give me a break

DukieBoy
01-11-2015, 02:34 PM
I wonder if we have the personnel to go 4-3 as the base defense. I'd like to see some of that in our defensive schemes, if we have the DLmen to do so. Don't see enough toughness on the OLB's to hold the edges, and think the 4-3 would help.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=phillyesq;634911]I understand that rationale, one which you are able to articulate without childish name calling. Given his constant use of "Dickey" to refer to somebody who deserves more respect, it appears that he has some personal animosity.[/QUOTE
Like that guy who used to post here,and misspell his name on purpose and claim he didn't.And you said we are morons for him getting fired, but DICKEY is insulting to you. . Ok

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=buccoray61;634913]And you said we are morons for him getting fired, but DICKEY is insulting to you. . Ok

I wasn't the one who posted you were morons,I just agreed with the one who did if that helps.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 02:50 PM
But did you say anything about him disrespecting me ? No... Lebeau is no more important as a human being that I am. And BTW I don't call him Dickey out of disrespect, I call him that as an nick name for him.

Slapstick
01-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Well, now he's gone, so you don't need to talk about him any more...

I'll just wait for the charming "Keithey" nickname to follow...

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
But NO ONE said a word when I used Johnny Mitchell .... OK Or when others say things about Tomlin.... ok

MCHammer
01-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Well, now he's gone, so you don't need to talk about him any more...

I'll just wait for the charming "Keithey" nickname to follow...

I'm not so sure Butler gets the job. If that was the plan, why are we still waiting on the announcement? The way this went down (LeBeau was unceremoniously shown the door) does not bode well for LeBeau's heir apparent.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 03:32 PM
But did you say anything about him disrespecting me ? No... Lebeau is no more important as a human being that I am. And BTW I don't call him Dickey out of disrespect, I call him that as an nick name for him.
I assume you are a big boy and you don't need me to defend you.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm not so sure Butler gets the job. If that was the plan, why are we still waiting on the announcement? The way this went down (LeBeau was unceremoniously shown the door) does not bode well for LeBeau's heir apparent.

I agree... I think we go outside the orgnization.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 04:18 PM
I assume you are a big boy and you don't need me to defend you.so is Dickey.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm not so sure Butler gets the job. If that was the plan, why are we still waiting on the announcement? The way this went down (LeBeau was unceremoniously shown the door) does not bode well for LeBeau's heir apparent.It could be the reason Joey P was brought in, just in case Butler didn't get the DC and decided to leave.

feltdizz
01-11-2015, 04:24 PM
so is Dickey.

Lebeau doesn't post here.

DL is gone... there really is no reason to be an azz about it.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 04:24 PM
so is Dickey.

I'm pretty sure LeBeau doesn't post here

phillyesq
01-11-2015, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=buccoray61;634913]And you said we are morons for him getting fired, but DICKEY is insulting to you. . Ok

Kindly point out where I said that. Thanks.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Steelhere10;634917]

Kindly point out where I said that. Thanks.

It looks like I said that,but I quoted a quote and it came out like that,if that makes sense LOL

phillyesq
01-11-2015, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=phillyesq;634931]

It looks like I said that,but I quoted a quote and it came out like that,if that makes sense LOL

Yeah, it makes sense. Sorry, didn't mean to reply to you. I know that it came from Steelhere.

buccoray61
01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=buccoray61;634933]

Yeah, it makes sense. Sorry, didn't mean to reply to you. I know that it came from Steelhere.

It's all good. LOL!

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=buccoray61;634933]

Yeah, it makes sense. Sorry, didn't mean to reply to you. I know that it came from Steelhere.wrong again, I wasn't referring to you...

Chadman
01-11-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm still not sure how we get to this namecalling stage over coaching hires & fires...or even over player abilities...or lack there of.

LeBeau was great for the organisation, and it would have been great if he could 'retire a Steeler'. That said, he's not ready to throw in the towel, so good luck to him in whatever venture he takes from here. Personally I think LeBeau's "downfall" over the last couple of years has as much to do with firstly, older slowing down players, before secondly- switching to a vastly inexperienced group of players, in a short period of time as it does with any kind of 'loss of coaching ability/ideas' on LeBeau's part.

Whoever is brought in will be working with essentially the same group of players, so I'm personally hoping that we see some growth from those guys to help out the new DC, as well as some new ideas to maybe freshen it up.

For mine, this puts next year's D in the same space as this year's D- it'll probably be wildly inconsistant until we see some form of familiarity with the players.

Oviedo
01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm still not sure how we get to this namecalling stage over coaching hires & fires...or even over player abilities...or lack there of.

LeBeau was great for the organisation, and it would have been great if he could 'retire a Steeler'. That said, he's not ready to throw in the towel, so good luck to him in whatever venture he takes from here. Personally I think LeBeau's "downfall" over the last couple of years has as much to do with firstly, older slowing down players, before secondly- switching to a vastly inexperienced group of players, in a short period of time as it does with any kind of 'loss of coaching ability/ideas' on LeBeau's part.

Whoever is brought in will be working with essentially the same group of players, so I'm personally hoping that we see some growth from those guys to help out the new DC, as well as some new ideas to maybe freshen it up.

For mine, this puts next year's D in the same space as this year's D- it'll probably be wildly inconsistant until we see some form of familiarity with the players.

Chadman--some can't resist name calling toward other posters if they don't get their way. Says more about the name caller than the target.

Steelhere10
01-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Chadman--some can't resist name calling toward other posters if they don't get their way. Says more about the name caller than the target. Yep and if they have problems with some posters , just put the block on like I did!!! I'm all about the Steelers winning some are not.

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2015, 07:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7GMIi1CQAEB8Bk.jpg:large

Oviedo
01-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Good read about the time for change

Analysis: Time was right for Steelers change
By Mark Kaboly

Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015, 10:27 p.m.

Updated 12 hours ago

It doesn't matter that the Steelers probably should take a class on the proper way to let go of a longtime employee, particularly a coordinator.

Bruce Arians' “retirement” as offensive coordinator in January 2012 still is the butt of jokes. Give it some time, and surely quips will fly about Dick LeBeau's “resignation” Saturday.

But who cares? Who cares if there was an uncomfortable feel in Mike Tomlin's office Saturday morning when the conversation ultimately shifted from “How are you?” to “Maybe it's time to move on”?

It was time for LeBeau to go.

Only the men in that meeting will know exactly what happened. Did Tomlin want LeBeau out? Was Tomlin just executing orders from above? Did LeBeau just feel it was time to go?

We know this: Every time LeBeau talked about coming back for another year, the response was always the same: “I'll stay as long as they want me.”
Not long after he was hired, Tomlin explained why he opted to keep LeBeau as his defensive coordinator, saying, “Why would you fix something that's not broken?”

The Steelers defense in 2014 might not have been broken, but there were significant cracks.

It was time to make a break. Go in a new direction. Get new ideas flowing.

There's nothing wrong with that.

The defense played better down the stretch, and this season could've been one of LeBeau's better coaching performances considering the personnel issues he dealt with. But something wasn't right.

It wasn't all LeBeau, but he had a hand in it.

LeBeau is 77 — the oldest and longest-tenured coordinator in the NFL. How much longer could he realistically coach?

With longtime players such as Brett Keisel, James Harrison, Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu all but certainly gone before next season, now was the ideal time to make a break.

So now what?

Linebackers coach Keith Butler seems to be the obvious choice to be promoted, considering the Steelers have gone so far as to block him from leaving for other jobs.

The Steelers should and likely will do their due diligence by interviewing other candidates, but Butler deserves a chance, one that never has been in writing but always has been assumed.

Something Butler told me leading up to Super Bowl XLV while the Arizona Cardinals and friend/golfing buddy Ken Whisenhunt were eager for him to take over as Cardinals defensive coordinator still resonates: “Loyalty is big for me,” he said.

It will be interesting to see if it is for the Steelers.

The Dolphins tried to get Butler, and he said no. The Cardinals tried and failed. The Colts came calling, and Butler didn't answer.
Last year, Whisenhunt called again, this time as coach of the Titans. The Steelers blocked the move.

Butler has coached linebackers for 16 consecutive years (four with the Browns and 12 with the Steelers).

He is a LeBeau disciple, so if he gets the job, there would be much of the same 3-4 defense the Steelers run now. No switch to a 4-3 would seem imminent.
But in Butler, the Steelers would get a fresh set of eyes running the defense, and maybe a new idea here and there.

Sometimes change is needed just for the sake of change. This is one of those times.

LeBeau is a Hall of Fame player and considered one of the all-time great defensive coordinators, and for good reason — the guy knows how to coach defense.

LeBeau's 2008 Steelers defense was the best I've seen. It allowed 237 yards per game and won a Super Bowl. That's '85 Bears-like, but that also was six years ago, and not one of those starters is around anymore.

It's a young man's sport. The Steelers realized that a couple of years ago. The average age of their starting defense will be about 26 next season, and there will be no 30-year-old in the starting lineup. Four seasons ago, the average age was 31.1, and eight players were at least 30.
Some of those players took LeBeau's resignation hard.
Ryan Clark, who now plays for the Washington Redskins, posted a photo of him with LeBeau on Instagram. Taylor called his photo the “Da Great LeBeau” on Twitter.
“Everything has to come to an end at some time,” LeBeau told good friend Bill Priatko on Saturday night, hours after the “resignation” became public.

This just happened to be the time for LeBeau and the Steelers.

The right time.

hawaiiansteel
01-12-2015, 05:31 PM
·
Dick LeBeau has talked w Bruce Arians about possibly joining Arizona Cardinals staff.

Oviedo
01-12-2015, 07:05 PM
·
Dick LeBeau has talked w Bruce Arians about possibly joining Arizona Cardinals staff.

All the best. Pittsburgh West continues recycle Steelers

NorthCoast
01-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Good read about the time for change

Surprised you didn't pick up on Butler's quote: "Loyalty is big for me"....

Certain fans might draw the conclusion that Butler will pick his favorite vets and stick with them for too long and not play the rookies until it's too late...

phillyesq
01-12-2015, 10:24 PM
·

Makes a ton of sense. Even if he isn't there as a coordinator, I could see him filling a role as a consultant or an assistant.

hawaiiansteel
01-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Surprised you didn't pick up on Butler's quote: "Loyalty is big for me"....

Certain fans might draw the conclusion that Butler will pick his favorite vets and stick with them for too long and not play the rookies until it's too late...

"Normally, I’m not a big guy with rookies," Butler said. "In fact, I don’t like to play rookies because in defensive football there are two things that get you beat. One of them is missed tackles and the other is mental mistakes.

And normally when you come and try to learn this defense it’s going to take you a little while to do it."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/6/18/5820320/shazier-to-see-a-lot-of-playing-time-in-the-middle-of-the-steelers

Sugar
01-12-2015, 11:11 PM
This is a nice tribute to Coach LeBeau on a special edition of Steelers Live:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LIVE-Dick-LeBeau-resigns/ca136cf1-e0a1-4513-9238-abfa399caf46

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2015, 02:54 PM
The average age of their starting defense will be about 26 next season, and there will be no 30-year-old in the starting lineup.

William Gay is 30.

Chadman
01-13-2015, 05:33 PM
William Gay is 30.

Retire him!

Oviedo
01-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Retire him!

Nah...keep him for another 47 years and just blame someone else when he doesn't perform.

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2015, 08:38 PM

By Mark Kaboly
Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015

It doesn't matter that the Steelers probably should take a class on the proper way to let go of a longtime employee, particularly a coordinator.

Bruce Arians' “retirement” as offensive coordinator in January 2012 still is the butt of jokes. Give it some time, and surely quips will fly about Dick LeBeau's “resignation” Saturday.

But who cares? Who cares if there was an uncomfortable feel in Mike Tomlin's office Saturday morning when the conversation ultimately shifted from “How are you?” to “Maybe it's time to move on”?

Only the men in that meeting will know exactly what happened. Did Tomlin want LeBeau out? Was Tomlin just executing orders from above? Did LeBeau just feel it was time to go?

We know this: Every time LeBeau talked about coming back for another year, the response was always the same: “I'll stay as long as they want me.”

Not long after he was hired, Tomlin explained why he opted to keep LeBeau as his defensive coordinator, saying, “Why would you fix something that's not broken?”

The Steelers defense in 2014 might not have been broken, but there were significant cracks.

The defense played better down the stretch, and this season could've been one of LeBeau's better coaching performances considering the personnel issues he dealt with. But something wasn't right.

LeBeau is 77 — the oldest and longest-tenured coordinator in the NFL. How much longer could he realistically coach?

With longtime players such as Brett Keisel, James Harrison, Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu all but certainly gone before next season, now was the ideal time to make a break.

So now what?

Linebackers coach Keith Butler seems to be the obvious choice to be promoted, considering the Steelers have gone so far as to block him from leaving for other jobs.

The Steelers should and likely will do their due diligence by interviewing other candidates, but Butler deserves a chance, one that never has been in writing but always has been assumed.

Something Butler told me leading up to Super Bowl XLV while the Arizona Cardinals and friend/golfing buddy Ken Whisenhunt were eager for him to take over as Cardinals defensive coordinator still resonates: “Loyalty is big for me,” he said.

The Dolphins tried to get Butler, and he said no. The Cardinals tried and failed. The Colts came calling, and Butler didn't answer.

Last year, Whisenhunt called again, this time as coach of the Titans. The Steelers blocked the move.

Butler has coached linebackers for 16 consecutive years (four with the Browns and 12 with the Steelers).

He is a LeBeau disciple, so if he gets the job, there would be much of the same 3-4 defense the Steelers run now. No switch to a 4-3 would seem imminent.

But in Butler, the Steelers would get a fresh set of eyes running the defense, and maybe a new idea here and there.

Sometimes change is needed just for the sake of change. This is one of those times.

LeBeau is a Hall of Fame player and considered one of the all-time great defensive coordinators, and for good reason — the guy knows how to coach defense.

LeBeau's 2008 Steelers defense was the best I've seen. It allowed 237 yards per game and won a Super Bowl. That's '85 Bears-like, but that also was six years ago, and not one of those starters is around anymore.

It's a young man's sport. The Steelers realized that a couple of years ago. The average age of their starting defense will be about 26 next season, and there will be no 30-year-old in the starting lineup. Four seasons ago, the average age was 31.1, and eight players were at least 30.

Ryan Clark, who now plays for the Washington Redskins, posted a photo of him with LeBeau on Instagram. Taylor called his photo the “Da Great LeBeau” on Twitter.

“Everything has to come to an end at some time,” LeBeau told good friend Bill Priatko on Saturday night, hours after the “resignation” became public.

The right time.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7540038-74/lebeau-steelers-butler#ixzz3OqIPXfZE

Oviedo
01-15-2015, 08:19 AM

By Mark Kaboly
Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015

So now what?

The right time.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7540038-74/lebeau-steelers-butler#ixzz3OqIPXfZE

This was the perfect time. The youth on the team can now grow with Butler and what he wants versus more of what LeBeau wanted. There was clearly a philosophical difference that lead to LeBeau being asked to move on.

Tomlin's comment about "warming up to the rush" was not subtle. IMO LeBeau's soft defenses were the breaking point

feltdizz
01-15-2015, 10:29 AM
This was the perfect time. The youth on the team can now grow with Butler and what he wants versus more of what LeBeau wanted. There was clearly a philosophical difference that lead to LeBeau being asked to move on.

Tomlin's comment about "warming up to the rush" was not subtle. IMO LeBeau's soft defenses were the breaking point

Yep, I thought we should've parted ways last year. If we are going to rebuild the D, why not rebuild with a new DC?

Eich
01-15-2015, 12:33 PM
I agree it is the right time. I was just hoping it would end differently. My hope was that at the beginning or during a season, LeBeau would announce that it was his last season. Then the players would all rally around him and he'd go out with some fanfare.

feltdizz
01-15-2015, 01:52 PM
I agree it is the right time. I was just hoping it would end differently. My hope was that at the beginning or during a season, LeBeau would announce that it was his last season. Then the players would all rally around him and he'd go out with some fanfare.

I bet the FO was hoping the same thing

NorthCoast
01-15-2015, 07:59 PM
The fact that Butler's contract was up put the Steelers in a really bad place. Loyalty aside, my guess is the Steelers didn't feel up to having him sign another 3 yr deal waiting in the wings for LeBeau.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-15-2015, 10:02 PM
I agree it is the right time. I was just hoping it would end differently. My hope was that at the beginning or during a season, LeBeau would announce that it was his last season. Then the players would all rally around him and he'd go out with some fanfare. Wonder how many evenings during the regular season Rooney and Colbert went home frustrated because DL would pretend to not understand what they were hinting about.

7upnext
01-15-2015, 11:03 PM
"Not long after he was hired, Tomlin explained why he opted to keep LeBeau as his defensive coordinator, saying, “Why would you fix something that's not broken?”

that's hilarious. There is zero chance he had a choice in the matter. He was very inexperienced which is why they kept things the same. This will be the first time we see him lead a team with coordinators that started with him as coach and players he helped draft. I have a bad feeling about this..

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-15-2015, 11:38 PM
"Not long after he was hired, Tomlin explained why he opted to keep LeBeau as his defensive coordinator, saying, “Why would you fix something that's not broken?”

that's hilarious. There is zero chance he had a choice in the matter. He was very inexperienced which is why they kept things the same. This will be the first time we see him lead a team with coordinators that started with him as coach and players he helped draft. I have a bad feeling about this..

Based on the performance of the side of the ball controlled by the 1 coordinator Tomlin did pick, Haley, I have some confidence this team's arrow will continue to point up next season.

But besides that, I'm not sure Tomlin had too much more say about Butler than he did about DL. A little bit more, sure, but this decision was made years ago at a GM level, it seems to me.

Slapstick
01-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Why is it so hard to believe that, given their previous working relationship, that Tomlin is the reason Butler stuck around?

Ghost
01-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Why is it so hard to believe that, given their previous working relationship, that Tomlin is the reason Butler stuck around?

I don't find it hard to believe at all. Makes sense. Stability, great organization, established home, a promise of a promotion, and a coach he admires and has worked well with in multiple situations.

papillon
01-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Wasn't Butler's heir apparent title given before Tomlin was hired? If it wasn't, then it isn't hard to believe at all, if it was then I can't believe it.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Butler was hired in 2003, LeBeau in 2004 and Tomlin in 2007...

papillon
01-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Butler was hired in 2003, LeBeau in 2004 and Tomlin in 2007...

And, when did we start hearing about Butler being the heir apparent? Before Tomlin or Tomlin was hired? If it was prior to Tomlin being hired then I would have to say the FO had everything to do with Butler staying on, if it was after then Tomlin probably decided to promote him.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-16-2015, 08:47 PM
And, when did we start hearing about Butler being the heir apparent? Before Tomlin or Tomlin was hired? If it was prior to Tomlin being hired then I would have to say the FO had everything to do with Butler staying on, if it was after then Tomlin probably decided to promote him.

Pappy

It was after Tomlin was hired. Specifically when the Dolphins started trying to hire him and we started hearing at that time he was the heir.

Snatch98
01-16-2015, 11:47 PM

Dick Lebeau was holding it all together aye? Give me a break. Isn't there a 7up on this board already? Now 7upnext? Troll account?

7 UP
01-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Dick Lebeau was holding it all together aye? Give me a break. Isn't there a 7up on this board already? Now 7upnext? Troll account?

Yeah apparently I have a fan club. When CokeZero and DrPepper10 show up I'll know I've made it.

Slapstick
01-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Yeah apparently I have a fan club. When CokeZero and DrPepper10 show up I'll know I've made it.

I'm a Mountain Dew Throwback man, myself...

Diet sucks. Soft drinks and otherwise.

Slapstick
01-17-2015, 10:23 AM
From BTSC:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/1/14/7539847/steelers-dick-lebeau-forced-out-resigned

BradshawsHairdresser
01-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Bottom line: it was time.

I was afraid that one day they'd have LeBeau calling the defensive plays remotely from a convalescent home.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
From BTSC:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/1/14/7539847/steelers-dick-lebeau-forced-out-resigned

Solid article. Well thought out and written, as opposed to the "LeBeau is senile! LeBeau refuses to adapt his beloved scheme one iota! LeBeau should have been fired years ago!" stuff that we typically read.

ikestops85
01-21-2015, 04:05 PM
From BTSC:

What a great article. I wonder if Ovi read it? :rolleyes:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Same site says he is considering being OL coach there.

Really?

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Same site says he is considering being OL coach there.

Really?

I think you forgot the D at the end of OL...;)

Oviedo
01-21-2015, 05:56 PM
What a great article. I wonder if Ovi read it? :rolleyes:
Yep. Butler is still the new Def Coord and excited about new and better.

Oviedo
01-21-2015, 06:01 PM
"Old Guy" causing problems already:stirpot

UPDATE: Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports LeBeau isn't interested in a position coach job. This conflicts with earlier reports.
If ex-Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is heading to Arizona to serve as the team's linebackers coach under Bruce Arians, it would make the sixth time a former Steelers coach has been hired by the Cardinals after leaving Pittsburgh since 2007. But it would easily be the biggest.

The current Cardinals coach, Bruce Arians, was the Steelers' offensive coordinator from 2007-11. Arians replaced Ken Whisenhunt, who was named the Cardinals head coach after the 2006 season. Whisenhunt brought with him offensive line coach Russ Grimm, and eventually, ex-Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton, who served as the team's defensive coordinator. Amos Jones, an assistant special teams coach with the Steelers, went to the Cardinals last season, and currently serves as the team's special teams coordinator.

LeBeau resigned his position with the Steelers shortly after the 2014 season ended with a wild card round loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Rumors have been circulating of his potential hire in the desert under Arians since then. Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reported Tuesday the team is nearing a deal that would bring LeBeau in as their linebackers coach, with the Cardinals not yet having settled on their defensive coordinator. The most recent rumor is Arizona's interest in Mike Nolan for that position.

The Steelers' defense has sagged in recent years, but even with that, LeBeau's resignation was seen as a bit of a surprise. It was his second of two stints as the team's defensive coordinator, this one lasting from 2004 until 2014, and included in that are three conference championships and two Super Bowl titles. Steelers team president Art Rooney II recently made his first public speaking comments regarding LeBeau, wishing him well, while noting the team needs to improve its pass rushing production in 2015.

buccoray61
01-26-2015, 11:13 AM
ESPN just reported that Dick LeBeau won't be joining the Cardinals coaching staff.

Oviedo
01-26-2015, 11:19 AM
ESPN just reported that Dick LeBeau won't be joining the Cardinals coaching staff.

No surprise. I'm sure LeBeau wanted it "his way or no way." I'm sure that is what led to his "resignation" here as the Steelers were tired waiting for "his way" to produce results. Plus I'm sure the Cardinals and Lebeau couldn't agree to where to build the altar where everyone would be required to go to worship "St Dick";)

Slapstick
01-26-2015, 11:55 AM
No surprise. I'm sure LeBeau wanted it "his way or no way." I'm sure that is what led to his "resignation" here as the Steelers were tired waiting for "his way" to produce results. Plus I'm sure the Cardinals and Lebeau couldn't agree to where to build the altar where everyone would be required to go to worship "St Dick";)

Wow. You are really bitter...

7 UP
01-26-2015, 12:03 PM

LOL. I thought the same thing. Maybe Lebeau turned down the Cardinals position to return to the Steelers as defensive consultant/assistant head coach in 2015. Ovi's head explodes in 3..............2...............1.

phillyesq
01-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Or, like James Harrison, he didn't want to move across the country and away from his family.

papillon
01-26-2015, 12:10 PM

Geesh, Ovi, did Lebeau do harm to a family member of yours or something? Why all the hate? I don't understand.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-26-2015, 01:46 PM

How am I bitter? Lebeau is gone and we have a fresh look with regards to our defense. I always said LeBeau's ego was part of the problem and it is fairly clear from his departure from here and inability to come to agreement with the Cardinals that I probably wasn't that far off on that count.

Oviedo
01-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Geesh, Ovi, did Lebeau do harm to a family member of yours or something? Why all the hate? I don't understand.

Pappy

No hate at all, but no worship and idolizing either

papillon
01-26-2015, 01:57 PM
How am I bitter? Lebeau is gone and we have a fresh look with regards to our defense. I always said LeBeau's ego was part of the problem and it is fairly clear from his departure from here and inability to come to agreement with the Cardinals that I probably wasn't that far off on that count.

Why would he want to take a lesser job for another team? That only happens when head coaches get canned and then they go back to doing what they did best before getting a chance as head coach, which is exactly what happened to Lebeau. Since, he has been a highly successful DC in the league there really isn't any reason for him to take a DL job or even a consulting job, he's proven what he can do as a DC. Now, other teams may not want to hire him based on age or some other reason, but there's certainly no reason to take a lesser job, unless, of course, no other offers come in and he really wants to coach, then it becomes supply and demand.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Or, you were completely wrong. That has at least an equal chance of being the case...

Oviedo
01-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Or, you were completely wrong. That has at least an equal chance of being the case...

...which provides an equal chance of me being 100% correct doesn't it?

phillyesq
01-26-2015, 11:38 PM
...which provides an equal chance of me being 100% correct doesn't it?

Not quite. Below is what Dulac had to say. On the other hand, I haven't seen anybody other than you suggest that this was related to ego.

Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac (https://twitter.com/gerrydulac) · 24h24 hours ago (https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/559562564103712768)

Cardinals talked Asst head coach/defense w Dick LeBeau; he didn't want to move to Arizona.

feltdizz
01-27-2015, 07:15 AM

Extremely bitter...lol

Slapstick
01-27-2015, 07:26 AM
Aha! It is LeBeau's ego that prevents him from wanting to move to Arizona!! That makes perfect​ sense! :rolleyes:

papillon
01-27-2015, 10:00 AM
The whole DL ego assumption is just that, an assumption, in all the years that he has been the DC for the Steelers not one single person associated with the team has even intimated that DL has a huge ego and, in fact, quite the opposite has been said. Only those that believe he is incapable of keeping up with the NFL or those that have some particular axe to grind make these statements of ego. He didn't want to move to AZ, yea, what a huge ego he has. What he does have is financial stability and doesn't "need" a job, so, unless he gets a job that he's amenable to he won't be employed this fall. That might be good for the Steeler offense.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-27-2015, 12:38 PM
The whole DL ego assumption is just that, an assumption, in all the years that he has been the DC for the Steelers not one single person associated with the team has even intimated that DL has a huge ego and, in fact, quite the opposite has been said. Only those that believe he is incapable of keeping up with the NFL or those that have some particular axe to grind make these statements of ego. He didn't want to move to AZ, yea, what a huge ego he has. What he does have is financial stability and doesn't "need" a job, so, unless he gets a job that he's amenable to he won't be employed this fall. That might be good for the Steeler offense.

Pappy

well we have members on here with the ability to read minds and body language...

Bryant left Clemson because he was afraid of WR competition and Wallace left Pittsburgh because he was afraid of Brown outworking him...

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2015, 11:14 AM
well we have members on here with the ability to read minds and body language...

Bryant left Clemson because he was afraid of WR competition and Wallace left Pittsburgh because he was afraid of Brown outworking him...

Don't forget about Cardale Jones the immature punk who doesn't value education at all returning to Ohio State. ;)

Ghost
01-30-2015, 03:56 PM
This was from Bouchette's chat yesterday (1/29/15). Looks as if the Steelers tried to get him to stay on as part of the staff:

Do you think they asked LeBeau to stay on as some kind of consultant?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, but it's not what he wanted to do.