PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees replaces Ben on Pro Bowl roster

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Drew Brees replaces Ben Roethlisberger on Pro Bowl roster

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 9, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt mymwriymmyogy4ytfjzdvhogmwy2vmy2rizjjjymnk.jpeg?w= 250

Saints quarterback Drew Brees is headed back to the Pro Bowl.

Brees will replace Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the Pro Bowl roster, the NFL announced Friday. It’s unclear why Roethlisberger will not play in the league’s all-star game, but he did suffer a neck injury in Saturday’s wild card round loss to Baltimore.

This is the seventh consecutive season Brees has made the Pro Bowl and his ninth Pro Bowl nod overall. He completed 456-of-659 passes for 4,952 yards with 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 2014.

The Pro Bowl will be played January 25 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/09/drew-brees-replaces-ben-roethlisberger-on-pro-bowl-roster/

Starlifter
01-10-2015, 12:49 AM
no one wants to go to phoenix. hawaii was what made the pro bowl worthwhile.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2015, 01:33 AM

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/188/img/photos/2014/04/18/18/c2/465349247_10.jpg

papillon
01-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I have a question about pro bowl acknowledgement, Ben was selected to the pro bowl but isn't going to play, they're replacing him with Brees, so does Ben lose the selection and Brees get the selection or do both get acknowledged as being pro bowl QBs? It seems if you weren't selected you shouldn't get the acknowledgement, if they selected 4 QBs and you weren't one and now you are then there are 5 selected and that wasn't the intent.

Hmmmm

Pappy

Mr.wizard
01-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Really? These players can travel anywhere they want I doubt they would give up a pro bowl accolade because the game is in phoenix. It most certainly has to do with an injury.

Slapstick
01-10-2015, 12:50 PM
I have a question about pro bowl acknowledgement, Ben was selected to the pro bowl but isn't going to play, they're replacing him with Brees, so does Ben lose the selection and Brees get the selection or do both get acknowledged as being pro bowl QBs? It seems if you weren't selected you shouldn't get the acknowledgement, if they selected 4 QBs and you weren't one and now you are then there are 5 selected and that wasn't the intent.

Hmmmm

Pappy

The deck is stacked. Both are recognized a Pro Bowl players, but Brees is recognized as the "Pro Bowl alternate". I think both may get paid...

flippy
01-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Hmmmm

Pappy

It's even more complicated now because guys playing in the SuperBowl cant be in the Pro Bowl. So there's gonna be even more alternates.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-10-2015, 02:42 PM

Hmmmm

Pappy

Both are considered Pro Bowl QBs. As you saw in the article published -
This is the seventh consecutive season Brees has made the Pro Bowl and his ninth Pro Bowl nod overall.

Years from now in his HOF induction, Brees will be called a nine-time PBer (as of now).

skyhawk
01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
I am ok with it. The pro bowl is a joke.

BUT, no Pro Bowl for Ben, no AP votes or discussion as league MVP. Not team MVP. His best year ever and it's all pedestrian to anyone else. I feel kinda sorry for the guy. The most snubbed QB in many years.

It is for these reasons, and the anti-Steeler bias in the HOF, that Ben will not make it in. He will join Plunkett as the only 2 time SB winners not in the hall.

phillyesq
01-12-2015, 12:21 PM

BUT, no Pro Bowl for Ben, no AP votes or discussion as league MVP. Not team MVP. His best year ever and it's all pedestrian to anyone else. I feel kinda sorry for the guy. The most snubbed QB in many years.

It is for these reasons, and the anti-Steeler bias in the HOF, that Ben will not make it in. He will join Plunkett as the only 2 time SB winners not in the hall.

Well then, he'll just have to win #3 and eliminate any doubt.

pfelix73
01-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Ben said on his FB page the other day that he was not going because the doctors recommended staying out due to a knee injury. Didn't elaborate if it was either sustained during the season, or it's something chronic from the past..

papillon
01-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Jim Plunkett isn't even on the same continent as Ben as a player. He completed 52% of his passes, 164 TDs to 198 INTs and about 26K in yards he didn't earn HOF honors IMO. SB rings work in your favor if you're good enough to be considered, see Ben, but if you don't have the numbers or wins then the SB rings don't put you over the top which is where Plunkett falls.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Nah... I think Ben wasn't in the league MVP discussion because he had some stinkers vs bad teams...

The 6 TD games were great but the Jets, Jags, Cleveland and Rats game (1st one) were ugly.

Also think Bell and Brown catching a ton of screens didn't give him those sexy highlights. There were just too many games where we didn't see Ben throwing darts into the EZ.

RuthlessBurgher
01-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Jim Plunkett isn't even on the same continent as Ben as a player. He completed 52% of his passes, 164 TDs to 198 INTs and about 26K in yards he didn't earn HOF honors IMO. SB rings work in your favor if you're good enough to be considered, see Ben, but if you don't have the numbers or wins then the SB rings don't put you over the top which is where Plunkett falls.

Pappy

Of course, take into account that Joe Namath's career numbers (50.1%, 173 TD's, 220 INT) are roughly similar to what JaMarcus Russell put up (52.1%, 18 TD's, 23 INT), extrapolated over a longer period of time.

Ghost
01-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Ben's smart. He's no going to the pro-bowl and risk a 300 pounder who's barely putting in any effort falling on his knee when he's on the verge of signing his last, giant pay-day contract. Can't say as I blame him )or his agent).

NorthCoast
01-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Nah... I think Ben wasn't in the league MVP discussion because he had some stinkers vs bad teams...

The 6 TD games were great but the Jets, Jags, Cleveland and Rats game (1st one) were ugly.

Also think Bell and Brown catching a ton of screens didn't give him those sexy highlights. There were just too many games where we didn't see Ben throwing darts into the EZ.

I agree. 7 games with 1 or no TD passes won't get you many MVP votes.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2015, 02:43 AM
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

The Pro Bowlers. #Steelers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8E0KtvIIAIhP8v.jpg:large

Shawn
01-24-2015, 08:41 AM

It is for these reasons, and the anti-Steeler bias in the HOF, that Ben will not make it in. He will join Plunkett as the only 2 time SB winners not in the hall. Nonsense, Ben could quit today and be in the HoF.

papillon
01-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Of course, take into account that Joe Namath's career numbers (50.1%, 173 TD's, 220 INT) are roughly similar to what JaMarcus Russell put up (52.1%, 18 TD's, 23 INT), extrapolated over a longer period of time.

Namath doesn't belong in either, one game, one lousy game and he makes it into the HOF, he's been an embarrassment to the NLF over the past 15 years, one of the worst selections ever.

Pappy

papillon
01-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Ben's smart. He's no going to the pro-bowl and risk a 300 pounder who's barely putting in any effort falling on his knee when he's on the verge of signing his last, giant pay-day contract. Can't say as I blame him )or his agent).

If I were a player and was selected to play in the Pro-Bowl I would always have an end of season injury to avoid the game, there's too much money at stake these days even with the relaxed rules of the game, accidents still happen.

Not only do I not blame Ben one bit, but as a fan of the Steelers I applaud the decision.

Pappy

papillon
01-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Nonsense, Ben could quit today and be in the HoF.

Truth right here.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-24-2015, 10:49 AM
If I were a player and was selected to play in the Pro-Bowl I would always have an end of season injury to avoid the game, there's too much money at stake these days even with the relaxed rules of the game, accidents still happen.

Not only do I not blame Ben one bit, but as a fan of the Steelers I applaud the decision.

Pappy

Anyone ever suffer a serious injury in the Pro Bowl?

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2015, 11:17 AM

I recall that New England had a high-drafted RB about a decade and a half or so ago (I can't recall his name offhand) who went to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl festivities, and blew out his knee playing flag football on the beach or something, then never played real football again.

buccoray61
01-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Didn't Drew Brees hurt his shoulder one year?

buccoray61
01-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Didn't Drew Brees hurt his shoulder one year?

No,I was wrong. Brees got hurt the last game of the 2005 season.

papillon
01-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Why risk it? 100 million dollars on the hook, no way I play, but, probably no one has ever been seriously injured in the Pro-Bowl.

Pappy

fordfixer
01-26-2015, 09:27 PM
I recall that New England had a high-drafted RB about a decade and a half or so ago (I can't recall his name offhand) who went to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl festivities, and blew out his knee playing flag football on the beach or something, then never played real football again.

That was rookie running back Robert Edwards, who was drafted with the 18th pick of the first round of the 1998 draft by the Patriots to replace the departed Curtis Martin. Edwards ran for 1,115 yards in his rookie season, showing he was a capable replacement for Martin.
Edwards "blew out his knee" during a flag football game while attending the pro bowl. The injury was so severe, the doctors thought they might have to amputate the lower half of the leg.
However, the surgery to repair his knee and Edwards embarked on a lengthy 2 year rehab stint. He was release by the Patriots prior to the 2002 season, when he was picked up by the Miami Dolphins. At the end of the season, Robert received the Halas Award, annually given out by the Pro Football Writers Association for his comeback.

fordfixer
01-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Drew Brees dislocated his left elbow in the 2007 game.