PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger hopes to sign extension 'sooner than later'

fordfixer
01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/06/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-contract-extension
Steelers'

Ben Roethlisberger hopes to sign extension 'sooner than later'

Posted: Tue Jan. 6, 2015

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hopes to sign a contract extension "sooner than later," he told 93.7 The Fan.

Roethlisberger, 32, has one season remaining on the eight-year, $102 million deal he signed in 2008. Roethlisberger and the Steelers restructured the deal in 2013 and agreed to wait until after the season to negotiate an extension.

He is coming off one of the best individual seasons of his career. He led the league with a career-high 4,952 passing yards while throwing 32 touchdowns and just nine interceptions.

“This is as healthy exiting a season as I’ve felt. I felt as healthy throughout the season just cause of the offseason work I put in last offseason and I plan on doing that again this year. I feel great, I felt great all year, and we’ll continue to do that. Ultimately it’s up to the representation and the Rooney family to do something hopefully this offseason and hopefully sooner than later because I love being here with this family.”

“When the time comes, I’m sure they’ll (his agents) come in town here before too long, whenever they start getting ready to talk to the Rooney family and we’ll sit down and we’ll discuss all the different options and possibilities and so when that time comes, I don’t think we’ll leave any stone unturned.”

While Roethlisberger said he was healthy, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he could have surgery on his knee during the offseason, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Roethlisberger has spent his entire career in Pittsburgh after he was selected with the No. 11 pick in the 2004 draft. He led the Steelers to a pair of Super Bowl victories following the 2005 and 2008 seasons.

The Steelers won the AFC North with an 11-5 record. They lost to the Baltimore Ravens on Saturday in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

7 UP
01-07-2015, 10:55 PM
I have no doubt this gets done. Ben will get his money. but I also have no doubt that Ben will sign a Steeler friendly deal.

Sugar
01-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Ben is about to get paid. I mean, really PAID! He'll deserve every penny.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Post your predictions...

5 year, $100M, $50M SB

Annual cap number is reasonable compared to others (lesser QBs) who have signed, but big SB pretty much assures that he stays in Pittsburgh and finishes off his career and contract in B&G.

SteelCrazy
01-07-2015, 11:37 PM
4 years, 82 million, 40 million signing bonus

papillon
01-08-2015, 12:02 AM
How about this deal?

3 years 51 million with 40 guaranteed, and 3 one year options starting in the 4th year, 16 million, 13 million and 10 million per year, that's 90 million if plays at a high level for 6 more years, he still gets the 40 million guaranteed over three years, but the Steelers protect themselves in years 4-6 if his play declines. If he absolutely has to have 100 million then add some incentives for the extra 10 million. In this scenario they take care of Ben and protect themselves when he's 36, 37 and 38 years old. If by some chance he's still playing well they can work out something when he's 39 years old.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Post your predictions...

5 year, $100M, $50M SB

I think that will end up being pretty darn close to the actual numbers of the contract Ben ends up signing...

Oviedo
01-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Post your predictions...

5 year, $100M, $50M SB

Annual cap number is reasonable compared to others (lesser QBs) who have signed, but big SB pretty much assures that he stays in Pittsburgh and finishes off his career and contract in B&G.

I agree with this number!

Oviedo
01-08-2015, 10:37 AM
How about this deal?

3 years 51 million with 40 guaranteed, and 3 one year options starting in the 4th year, 16 million, 13 million and 10 million per year, that's 90 million if plays at a high level for 6 more years, he still gets the 40 million guaranteed over three years, but the Steelers protect themselves in years 4-6 if his play declines. If he absolutely has to have 100 million then add some incentives for the extra 10 million. In this scenario they take care of Ben and protect themselves when he's 36, 37 and 38 years old. If by some chance he's still playing well they can work out something when he's 39 years old.

Pappy
Ben's agent, or any agent, will unlikely agree to options. Today's contracts are all about the guaranteed money and I think Ben is going to have to get about $50M of that when it is all said and done.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo -
·
Dozen years of dominance: Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger has been AFC Super Bowl QB in 11 of the past 12 years

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B75p_voCAAAUvge.png:large

bostonsteeler
01-30-2015, 10:48 PM
ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo -
·
Dozen years of dominance: Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger has been AFC Super Bowl QB in 11 of the past 12 years

THere's a 9 year stretch where only 3 guys represented the AFC.

fordfixer
01-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Things that make you go hummmmm

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-130-Skip-Bayless-Trolls-Terrell-Suggs/d44ca3f8-ad27-42fa-ae6b-a0361f7f1078

Slapstick
01-31-2015, 09:19 AM
At least Suggs recognizes how Ben is treated completely differently...how the refs allow other teams to beat the living $#!+ out of him...and isn't afraid to say it...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-31-2015, 10:25 AM
How about this deal?

Pappy

Wow Pappy, I can't see this one. First off, 6 years, $90M averages out to $15M. I can see a bit of a discount, but I think that might put him behind Landry Jones. :D

Also, with non-guaranteed contracts, the last three years of a six year contract are pretty much optional anyway. I am sure that the team would also rather have six years to spread the SB over than 3, as would be the case here.

Sugar
01-31-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm curious as to how they structure it since he's probably only got 3-4 more years in the league. Obviously, I don't know this as a fact. But it seems like he's taken a lot of big shots over his career and those will take their toll sooner or later.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm curious as to how they structure it since he's probably only got 3-4 more years in the league. Obviously, I don't know this as a fact. But it seems like he's taken a lot of big shots over his career and those will take their toll sooner or later.
but, Haley fixed all that... :roll:

Sugar
02-02-2015, 10:04 PM
but, Haley fixed all that... :roll:

I'm guessing the rolling eyes are symbolic of sarcasm here. Fine, but even if Ben was the least sacked QB in the league the next few years it wouldn't take away the pounding he's already taken.

flippy
02-03-2015, 10:18 AM
$130M - 7 years - $65M guaranteed

feltdizz
02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
I'm guessing the rolling eyes are symbolic of sarcasm here. Fine, but even if Ben was the least sacked QB in the league the next few years it wouldn't take away the pounding he's already taken.

Ben still took some big hits last year. It's not how many... it's how hard. That shot in the first Baltimore loss was prolly harder than most of the hits the last 3 years combined.

ikestops85
02-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I really don't see how folks can be giving Haley sh!t. Last year was the first year that our team could be considered one of the premier offensive teams in the league.

Sugar
02-03-2015, 08:04 PM
I really don't see how folks can be giving Haley sh!t. Last year was the first year that our team could be considered one of the premier offensive teams in the league.

True- when was the last time that happened?

feltdizz
02-04-2015, 09:45 AM

until that premiere offense wins a few playoff games it doesn't matter how prolific it is in the regular season.

don't get me wrong, I love the direction this offense is headed but we had a good 5 or 6 games where the O looked horrible.

NorthCoast
02-04-2015, 08:41 PM
until that premiere offense wins a few playoff games it doesn't matter how prolific it is in the regular season.

don't get me wrong, I love the direction this offense is headed but we had a good 5 or 6 games where the O looked horrible.

Agreed. But the offense was a little more consistent the last quarter of the season.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Steelers G.M. says they’ve started Big Ben contract talks, eventually

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 10, 2015, 2:17 PM EST

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert met with reporters Tuesday, and mentioned something that created a bit of a stir.

But he quickly circled back to fix what might have been a public relations problem for the team.

During his press conference, Colbert indicated there wasn’t anything new regarding a new contract for quarterback Ben Rosthlisberger.

“We’ve prioritized signing Ben this off season,” Colbert said. “No timetable. Have not started discussions.”

He then returned to the press room, and told reporters that they actually had begun preliminary negotiations.

Roethlisberger is entering the final year of his contract, and is due to make $11.6 million this season. Tagging him next year would cost them $22.074 million.

That’s more of a hit than they want to take on the 2016 cap, but the fact they were so careful to point out that they were working on a new deal indicates how important it is for the team to keep everyone happy during this process.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/10/steelers-g-m-says-theyve-started-big-ben-contract-talks-eventually/

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2015, 05:03 PM
GM: Big Ben keeps getting better

Updated: February 10, 2015, 2:54 PM ET
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers have begun preliminary negotiations on a new contract.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert acknowledged the contract talks Tuesday, saying that Roethlisberger still has growth potential even though the star quarterback turns 33 in less than a month.

Roethlisberger, who became the first player in Steelers franchise history to win a league passing title this past season, is entering the final year of an eight-year, $102 million deal he signed in 2008.

"I really think Ben is going to be a better quarterback down the road than he is at this point," Colbert said Tuesday. "Ben is a franchise quarterback that's getting better with age."

Colbert said the Steelers have no concerns about getting a new deal done with Roethlisberger, who established career highs last season in passing yards (4,952), completions (408) and completion rate (67.1 percent) in a season.

"When you have two parties that want to achieve the same goal, it is about working out the details," Colbert said. "It could happen quickly. It could take awhile."

Roethlisberger has said he wants to play his entire career with the Steelers, and three of his four 4,000-yard passing seasons have come since he turned 29.

Colbert compared Roethlisberger to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as far as his belief that the three-time Pro Bowler can play at a high level well into his 30s.

Colbert also said the Steelers expect Roethlisberger, who shared the 2014 NFL passing title with Drew Brees, to continuing improving because the team anticipates running back Le'Veon Bell and wide receivers Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton all improving as well.

"I think those guys have another level they can reach," Colbert said.

The Steelers should be able to lower Roethlisberger's salary-cap hit of $18.395 million in 2015 by signing the 11th-year veteran to a long-term contract. But Colbert said the Steelers have not set any deadlines as far as getting a deal done, even though free agency starts on March 10.

The Steelers are $2.734 million under the projected salary cap of $140 million for 2015, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Colbert said the Steelers should be able to create enough room under the room to keep their priority free agents and pursue free agents from other teams.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12306189/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-begin-negotiations-new-contract?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FzI1 QkiIbLC%22%7D

SidSmythe
02-10-2015, 06:05 PM
I wonder how many NFL QBs take the salary cap into consideration when they ask for money.

If you ask me I'd rather have $8 million per year than $12 million if it meant me having a top rated LT and a WR.

Just a thought. But I know these guys don't think this way

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-11-2015, 11:32 AM
I wonder how many NFL QBs take the salary cap into consideration when they ask for money.

If you ask me I'd rather have $8 million per year than $12 million if it meant me having a top rated LT and a WR.

Most NFLers simply "let my agent worry about it". The agent is more concerned with getting his cut and moving on. He is not the one who would be absorbing all of those hits, and having a career cut short by injury. He can just move on to the next young gun.

feltdizz
02-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Brady tweeked his contract to keep Welker and the FO still dealt Welker.

Kapernick's contract was cap friendly and if his team doesn't turn things around next year it may cost him in the long run.

If I'm an NFL QB my job is to throw TD's and win games. I let the FO worry about building a great team.

Slapstick
02-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Brady tweeked his contract to keep Welker and the FO still dealt Welker.

Kapernick's contract was cap friendly and if his team doesn't turn things around next year it may cost him in the long run.

If I'm an NFL QB my job is to throw TD's and win games. I let the FO worry about building a great team.

This is contradictory...

If Kaepernick does his job (throws TDs and wins games), then his contract will not cost him in the long run.