PDA

View Full Version : Steelers FA wishlist: Bring CB Byron Maxwell to Pittsburgh

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Steelers free agency wishlist: Bring Byron Maxwell to Pittsburgh

By Dan Sager on Jan 6 2015

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/rm9vNle7T9mPivxNpDCeu0tYoSM=/0x391:2759x2230/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45158978/usa-today-8288590.0.jpg

While not known for making "loud" signings in the free agency period of the offseason, the Seahawks CB would be an excellent addition to the Steelers.

With a heartbreaking loss now nearly water under the bridge, the Steelers focused shifts to the offseason. While player contracts, the draft and the salary cap all huge issues on the minds of fans and the Pittsburgh brass, another facet of offseason preparations is an interesting proposition; free agency.

Typically, the Steelers are a relatively quiet team in free agency, for years opting to build their team via the draft, with some of the top Pittsburgh talents being home-grown products of good drafting.

This year's crop of free agents certainly has some big names, with players such as Demarco Murray, Demaryius Thomas and Randall Cobb all eligible to become unrestricted free agents, but it's a lesser known talent who the Steelers would be wise to target this March; Seahawks CB Byron Maxwell.

Maxwell, despite strong play, has been lost in the fray of the talented Seattle "Legion of Boom" headlined by All-Pro CB Richard Sherman and the best pair of safeties in the league, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas. If the Seattle secondary was the Beatles, Maxwell could probably be compared to George Harrison.

As a member of the most talented pass defense in there league, Maxwell has experience playing a variety of positions, as the six-foot-one Clemson standout has played in nickel packages guarding the slot receivers, and his size and speed allow him to matchup on the outside.

It's possible the Seahawks will resign Maxwell, but given their looming cap issues with the need to resign players such as Bobby Wagner and Russel Wilson, it's not unlikely Seattle allows Maxwell to walk, especially with the likes of Sherman and the talented T.J. Lane and Tharold Simon waiting in the fray. With Ben Roethlisberger apparently willing to rework his contract and some likely cuts coming (looking at you Cortez Allen) the Steelers should have some extra cap room to make a move.

As Christopher Carter pointed out, the Steelers have been mocked Michigan State's standout CB Trae Waynes, which given the suspect pass defense from the Pittsburgh secondary this season, is an obvious selection. If the Steelers were able to sign Maxwell and draft Waynes, Pittsburgh would find itself with a pair of defensive backs capable of becoming the best duo since Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend.

Maxwell is still only 26 and his size, speed and ability to line up at multiple positions make him one of the most interesting defensive backs in the NFL. With a glaring, obvious need at corner, the Steelers would make a splash by making a run at the talented Seahawks defender.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-free-agency-news-rumors-signings-2015-steelers/2015/1/6/7494463/free-agency-wishlist-bring-byron-maxwell-to-pittsburgh

K Train
01-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Waynes is a pipe dream at 22.

Also, imo Maxwell is not very good, but it would be an interesting signing.

phillyesq
01-07-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm always wary of signing players from a successful team because I think you tend to overpay. Also, the player may well look much better than what they are due to the talent around them. Mike Mitchell is an example.

Slapstick
01-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Maxwell looked pretty good to me when I saw him vs. the Eagles...Jordan Matthews was very much shut down when Maxwell played him in the slot...

D Rock
01-07-2015, 07:09 PM
How did Walter Thurmond do this past season, wherever he ended up? That may be the best indicator of how Maxwell might fare.

Gotta like the experience he likely got though - I would imagine he was thrown at pretty regularly with teams avoiding Sherman and Thomas.

steelblood
01-07-2015, 07:57 PM
We will bring in CBs that were left on the curb by other teams (as we usually do)

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2015, 11:05 AM
How did Walter Thurmond do this past season, wherever he ended up? That may be the best indicator of how Maxwell might fare.

Gotta like the experience he likely got though - I would imagine he was thrown at pretty regularly with teams avoiding Sherman and Thomas.

Thurmond signed with the Giants, but tore a pec in week 2 and was placed on I.R.

SidSmythe
01-08-2015, 08:01 PM
This attempt would remind me of the Steelers trying to sign Alvin Harper in the mid 90s. They made him an offer and were willing to give up a draft pick b/c he was protected. He eventually ended up in Tampa Bay and did Nothing.

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2015, 08:26 PM

James C Wexell‏@jimwexell -

I actually think Waynes falls to 2nd round.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/552914461309534208

Chadman
01-09-2015, 01:36 AM
I'm going to assume Cortez will get a shot at starting, and Willie Gay looks to be safe at CB2.

For FA CB's, what about Buster Skrine to play the nickle? Takes away from an emerging division rival, has quite a few turnovers in his career & also isn't impossible to replace if they happen to draft a top-tier CB.

SteelerMaine83
01-09-2015, 07:36 PM
I think the Steelers should identify the FA CB they think has shown the best ability to do what a Steelers CB is supposed to do in our scheme, determine if no better options realistically exist in the draft (that is no better options to start this year) or on the current roster, and pursue that CB seriously. If that is Maxwell, good. If it's someone else, good. A starting caliber CB in FA, and let Allen, Gay, Blake and a rookie CB from Rounds 2 through 4 battle for the other spots. I really like Big Play Willie Gay, but age, size etc. would make me like him much more as a Nickel Back next year.

Iron City Inc.
01-09-2015, 10:29 PM

Until he tests I'm not so sure. It's early in the process.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2015, 03:17 PM
For FA CB's, what about Buster Skrine to play the nickle? Takes away from an emerging division rival, has quite a few turnovers in his career & also isn't impossible to replace if they happen to draft a top-tier CB.

2015 NFL free agency: Browns CB Buster Skrine wants to test free agent market

By Dan Sager on Feb 14, 2015

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j4zuUAJDvrdp4_uDWNc_Zy7b8R8=/0x0:1614x1076/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45689790/usa-today-8271534.0.jpg

The Browns "other" cornerback hopes to gauge interest on the open market after a career year; could he be a fit in Pittsburgh?

The Cleveland Browns, once again, had a disappointing, tumultuous season. But, like usual, their defense was reasonably solid. Even with Pro Bowl safety T.J. Ward departing as a free agent last season and first round draft selection Justin Gilbert contributing a sub-par season, the Browns' defensive unit held tough, particularly in the passing game, as Cleveland was the owners of the NFL's No. 8 ranked pass defense.

Of course, the well-known stalwart of the Browns is All-Pro cornerback Joe Haden, but it's the guy on the opposite side of the field who could garner much attention as a free agent; Buster Skrine.

Skrine had a career year in 2014, intercepting four passes and collecting 64 tackles. In fact, Haden's ability to lock-down half the field meant Skrine was facing a heavier barrage of passes, and he still performed well. The team wants Skrine back. Skrine wants to return to the Browns as well, but has stated he wants to test the free agent market, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. Skrine should, and most likely will, command some serious attention on the open market. He's only 25-years old, has experience playing against wide receivers on the outside and as a nickel corner guarding slot receivers and he's a willing and ferocious tackler.

Unfortunately for him, he enters a free agent market which will include the likes of Brandon Flowers and Bryon Maxwell, with a possibility of Darrelle Revis joining that list. Simply put, Skrine will be coveted, but he won't be the most coveted, which may drive down his price. Unfortunate for him, yes, but for a team lacking cap space but with a tremendous need for a young, experienced corner? Very fortunate.

The Steelers struggles in the pass defense department have been well-documented. With three of their cornerbacks set to enter free agency, Pittsburgh finds itself thin at the position. Options exist in the first round of the draft which could be immediate fixes, but Gilbert, Skrine's teammate, was the eighth selection of the draft and wound up dropping below an undrafted player on the Browns depth chart, demonstrating the impossibility of depending on a rookie to save the day. Skrine has yet to hit the prime of career and already has four seasons under his belt. He will likely come much cheaper than Flowers or Maxwell, and he could potentially provide a return equal to the investment of either of the aforementioned defensive backs.

Cleveland has a ton of cap room, the third most in the league, to be exact, but owner Jimmy Haslam has said he doesn't expect the Browns to be "major players" in free agency. Even if the Steelers, or any other team, offered Skrine a contract, the Browns could certainly match it, if not exceed it. Shrine, however, might find the opportunity to be a number one corner, which he very well could be in Pittsburgh, too good of an opportunity to pass up.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-free-agency-news-rumors-signings-2015-steelers/2015/2/14/8037749/cornerbacks-free-agency-rankings-list-steelers

7 UP
02-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Count me out on Maxwell. That defense is so good. Does anyone really think Willie Gay wouldnt be just as good or better if he played Maxwells spot on the Hawks D? To much money for a player who may well prove himself to be a marginal player in our defense.

I like what I see out of Buster Skrine. Its the safer signing.

squidkid
02-14-2015, 06:00 PM
will he play for 2 mil?

Iron City Inc.
02-14-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't know how much I like any 5'9" corner. Skrine is 5'9". Wide outs and TE's are just to tall and size is a talent. #3 slot corner perhaps but length is needed outside the numbers.

Rara
02-14-2015, 09:51 PM
We need atleast 1 or 2 corners atleast coming from the draft or from free agency. I'd like to get Davon House over Buster Skrine..but wouldn't complain if the Steelers signed Skrine and draft Marcus Peters in the first (but would more than likely be Quinton Rollins from Miami of Ohio).

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I'd like to get Davon House over Buster Skrine

Davon House: “I think my film shows I’m a starter”

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 14, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt gyyzizndu5mze0yzg3ogvimgrjmdzjnje3odrmztay-e1423960485330.jpeg?w=217

In some ways, Packers cornerback Davon House fits the bill of a player whom teams could covet in free agency.

For one, House plays a premium position. Secondly, he doesn’t turn 27 until July. Finally, he he has good size for a corner (6-0, 195), and he was timed in a solid 4.50 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine.

However, House has primarily been a backup in four seasons with Green Bay, starting just 14 games. He has also dealt with injuries to both shoulders. Moreover, he has just two interceptions in 40 regular season contests.

Nevertheless, House is probably hitting the market at a good time. His potential could entice a club, Green Bay or otherwise, to sign him long-term.

In a story published Saturday by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, House said he is seeking a starting job.

“I don’t like the role just playing special teams, especially when I know I can contribute,” House told the Journal Sentinel‘s Tom Silverstein.

Added House, according to the paper: “I know I can play. I truly believe the film says I can play in this league. If my film doesn’t show it, I don’t mind playing special teams. But I think my film shows I’m a starter.”

House told the Journal Sentinel he believed the Packers would try to re-sign wide receiver Randall Cobb and offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga before they got a deal done with him, but if that is the club’s approach, he is OK with it.

“Randall isn’t done, Bulaga isn’t done, so I’m not going to be done. I won’t be back until they all get done. It makes no sense for me to get done before them,” House told the paper.

No matter where he lands, House is one of the players to watch at his position in free agency. Though his résumé isn’t especially full, interested teams will bank on the best being yet to come for the New Mexico State product

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/14/davon-house-i-think-my-film-shows-im-a-starter/

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2015, 11:56 PM
FIVE FREE AGENTS ABOUT TO BE OVERPAID

Posted by Matt Verderame on Feb 15, 2015

National Football League free agency does not officially begin until March 10. Before then, teams can sign their own free agents and can begin applying the franchise tag on Feb. 16.

With over 500 players scheduled to hit the market, both unrestricted and restricted, the teams will be busy trying to construct their 2015 rosters. This rush on players will lead to plenty of competition and ultimately some cumbersome contracts.

Below are five players guaranteed to get more money than they are worth:

5. Jordan Cameron

Cameron has been an absolute non-factor three of his four years with the Cleveland Browns. However, Cameron became a name in 2013 when he caught 80 passes for 917 yards and seven touchdowns. Last year, the former USC star had 24 catches for 424 yards and two scores in 10 games. Cameron is nothing more than a second tight end on a good team, but somebody will pay him like a solid No. 1 option.

4. Pernell McPhee

McPhee is going to be overpaid because of the position he plays. The 26-year-old outside linebacker put together a nice campaign in 2014, registering 7.5 sacks. The two years prior? A grand total of 3.5 sacks and 42 tackles in 28 games. McPhee should be brought in as a complementary pass-rusher, but one general manager will see potential and give an oversized contract.

3. Byron Maxwell

Maxwell is a good player, but he will be paid like a great one. Maxwell has had the luxury of having Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas behind him, allowing Maxwell to play with ample aggressiveness. There is a good chance Maxwell will go to the Atlanta Falcons where former defensive coordinator Dan Quinn took the head coaching position. Atlanta also has cap space and the worst defense in football, so the fit seems perfect. Maxwell will be paid top money, but is a better fit as a No. 2.

2. Julius Thomas

Thomas has enjoyed the effect of Peyton Manning. With Manning at the helm, Thomas has become one of the top red zone targets in the league, hauling in 24 touchdowns over the past two seasons. However, Thomas is a walking red flag. He has been bitten constantly by the injury bug, playing just 32 games in three seasons. Without Manning and the incredible supporting cast in Denver, it is foolish to expect Thomas to be anything more than an average player.

1. DeMarco Murray

Murray is a great player, but the shelf life of a running back is short. Murray led the league in touches last season, totaling 392 carries and 57 receptions, putting on plenty of mileage. Despite being only 27 years old, Murray is likely living on borrowed time. The last two players to get new contracts after leading the league in carries are Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander. Neither rushed for 1,000 yards again and both were in their 20’s at the time. A team will give Murray a major payday and it will become a major mistake.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/18279155?widget=true

Shawn
02-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Until he tests I'm not so sure. It's early in the process. I agree. If Waynes runs a 4.55+, he will likely drop to the 20's.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Cameron is nothing more than a second tight end on a good team

I could see the New England Cheetahs signing him to play the Aaron Hernandez role as the second TE with Gronk as #1.

Shawn
02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
If Cameron can stay healthy I believe he is the real deal. The problem is he hasn't had health or a QB.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2015, 11:29 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/001/969/032/hi-res-d9c48fe31c0bceaac36fd361294ee239_crop_exact.jpg?w= 650&h=433&q=85

What is cornerback Byron Maxwell's value on the market? I would say around $5 million or $6 million per year. But with a cornerback class coming in that lacks depth, Maxwell could see that number jump up to $8 million or even $9 million, given his ability to play press-man outside of the numbers.

"It would be hard to see him (Maxwell) leave, but I would think his market will be pretty strong," Seahawks general manager John Schneider said Thursday.

Based off the film from 2014, press-man technique in the NFL is poor right now, overall. There are too many cornerbacks who open the hips, fail to use their hands and chase instead of challenging receivers on the release. That leads to big plays outside of the numbers and penalties down the field as defensive backs panic at the point of attack. That's when we see guys grab, pull, etc., because they are beat.

Maxwell might not be a true No. 1 cornerback on some rosters in the NFL, but given his ability to play press and compete on the outside, he should get paid some good money this offseason as a free agent. NFL coaches want corners who can win at the line of scrimmage. That's what you get with Maxwell.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2370748-nfl-combine-2015-matt-bowens-day-2-notebook

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Steelers could use savings on free agent CBs

By NJ Steel on Feb 26, 2015

Yesterday, the free agency wheels in Pittsburgh started turning when the Steelers cleared salary cap room by restructuring three contracts. One position of undoubted need that could be filled with the additional space is cornerback. There are more than 40 free agent cornerbacks this off-season, and the Steelers have three in Ike Taylor, Brice McCain, and Antwon Blake (restricted). Unfortunately, most of the free agents this year are injury-prone and/or will commend higher-end contracts due to the lack of positional depth in the league. A lot of mediocre cornerbacks will be signed to contracts beyond their worth, which will most likely move them out the Steelers' price range.

Even after the restructures, the most likely scenario is still that the Steelers will have to gamble on a few 1-year rentals like they did last year to string together a secondary alongside Cortez Allen and William Gay. That being said, maybe the added cap room will make one of the top free agent cornerbacks below a bit more affordable.

1) Brandon Flowers

The Steelers pursued Flowers last year, and I believe he is the best free agent cornerback available this offseason. Last year, he signed a one year, $4 million deal with the Chargers and impressed to the point where he will likely command $5 million or more this year. Flowers has shown that he can play in multiple defenses and could be a great fit for Butler's new defense.

2) Antonio Cromartie

Cromartie is arguably one of the best corners in the NFL, as long as he's not injured. He will probably re-sign with the Cardinals at a hefty price tag, but he does have leverage to play for a team with lots of cap space if he chooses to sign a lucrative contract elsewhere. He would be great for the Steelers, but I don't see a way he could be signed.

3) Byron Maxwell

Maxwell lived in Richard Sherman's shadow in Seattle, but he's one of my favorite CBs. I have been waiting for Maxwell to be a free agent, and the Steelers should attempt to sign him. He has shown flashes of elite play, but does have bad games and can get beat. Most of Seattle's linebackers and secondary signed team-friendly deals last season, but Maxwell didn't - which suggests that he may be looking for the largest contract possible. Again, the Steelers may simply not be able to afford him.

4) Kareem Jackson

Jackson is another great corner when healthy. He could be a great addition to the Steeler's secondary, and due to his health issues he won't see many suitors offering large contracts.

5) Tramon Williams

Williams is an older CB who has already played his best football. Still, the Packers have a history of retaining their own, and will probably re-sign him to a 2-year deal.

6) Chris Culliver

A very underrated corner that often gets overlooked. After tearing his ACL in 2013, he proved himself to be reliable last season. Steelers should take a look at Culliver if the 49ers do not re-sign him.

7) Walter Thurmond

Thurmond is another ex-Seattle star, but didn't play well in 2014 before tearing a pectoral muscle. He should an affordable CB with a proven history of success.

8. Darius Butler

Butler is injury prone, but when healthy can be a shut-down CB.

9) Tarell Brown

Brown may be worth the gamble. His play was mediocre last year for the Raiders, but then again, which player impressed on that team? He might be able to get a 1-year deal from the Steelers.

10) Buster Skrine

For a while early in the 2014 season, Skrine led the league in interceptions. Then, his play declined rapidly as the Browns devolved to their natural state. He might be worth a look at for a reasonable price.

Other free agent CBs:

11. Zach Bowman

12. Robert McClain

13. Rashean Mathis

14. Sterling Moore

15. Patrick Robinson

16. Antwon Blake

17. Carlos Rodgers

18. Davon House

19. Brice McCain

20. Charles Tillman

Will the Steelers spend their newly found cap room on a free agent cornerback? Only time will tell. But the options are there, so it will be interesting to see how the situation develops.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015/2/25/8107715/free-agency-2015-available-cbs

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Alex Kozora retweeted
Dov Kleiman @NFL_RealUpdates -

#Eagles will sign former #Seahawks CB Byron Maxwell to a 5-year, $54 million deal

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora