PDA

View Full Version : This RIDICULOUS Arians talk....brings me back from the dead

Captain Lemming
01-06-2015, 05:56 PM
OK people, you wanna talk wins versus stats?

You need to understand WHY we win versus when someone is along for the ride.

ARIANS HAD ZIP TO DO WITH OUR SUCCESS.

Arians has NEVER IN HIS CAREER had an elite offense. Talk all you like about the Cards, the DEFENSE is carrying his offense as it has HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

You wanna talk wins? How many playoffs did we go to under Arians without A NUMBER ONE DEFENSE (yards and or points) ZIPPO. NADDA, NEVER.
EVERY TIME OUR DEFENSE WAS EVEN "good" but not great we missed the playoffs.

EVERY SINGLE DEFENSE ARIANS HAD WAS "good" but he needed great.

2007 17 and change
2008 13 and change
2010 14 and change

AVERAGE Points allowed in those seasons.

WE KEPT TEAMS UNDERS 17 all of TWICE this season.

Our offense was putrid under Arians considering the quality of our QB, don't let the wins featuring a dominant defense fool you.

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN BENS CAREER THE OFFENSE CARRIED A BAD DEFENSE to a playoff.

Heck is that a first for ANY Steeler team?

You wanna talk playoffs. Haley has NEVER had a great defense EVER. He did it with three DIFFERENT teams with three different styles of offense.

Arians never made the playoffs without a great defense. Arians offense with "this" defense would not SNIFF a playoff much less a Super Bowl.

Yes, the Cardinals have had success under Arians he is a very good head coach.

But even the best CARDINAL offense in any game with Arians on the sideline was led by Haley in the Super Bowl versus us.

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Considering the quality of our QB? Did you see what our offense did last Saturday?

Shawn
01-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Arians was a below average OC.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Incidentally, what's better:

3 of 17 games of 30 or more on offense?

or

7 of 17 games of 30 or more on offense?

Ooo! Ooo! How about this one:

What's worse:

5 games of 13 or less on offense?

or

3 games of 13 or less on offense?

flippy
01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
I thought Arians was smart, but probably one of those guys that's so smart he did idiotic things at times.

He aligned well to the strengths of our QB. He tried to attack the field vertically which put our QB in a tough spot at times, but it also played into Ben's natural strengths. I think he allowed our QB to take bigger risks and gambled on the percentages that would help us win.

On the flip side, he didn't run a ball control offense which is critical to compliment the Lebeau D and keep them off the field as much as possible. I think he was run off because his offense lacked balance. But at the same time I think that was a choice given who and what he had to work with.

I always thought he'd make a better HC than OC. You could just tell he had the intangibles by his relationship with Ben.

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 07:54 PM
I thought Arians was smart, but probably one of those guys that's so smart he did idiotic things at times.

He aligned well to the strengths of our QB. He tried to attack the field vertically which put our QB in a tough spot at times, but it also played into Ben's natural strengths. I think he allowed our QB to take bigger risks and gambled on the percentages that would help us win.

On the flip side, he didn't run a ball control offense which is critical to compliment the Lebeau D and keep them off the field as much as possible. I think he was run off because his offense lacked balance. But at the same time I think that was a choice given who and what he had to work with.

I always thought he'd make a better HC than OC. You could just tell he had the intangibles by his relationship with Ben.

I think BA realized he had a QB who was huge and could shrug off defenders...

BA definitely frustrated with his RUTFM, but it was mostly to lull the D to sleep to run those play action passes that ripped opponents to shreads.

I think BA was run off because after 5 or so years the defenses in the division know all your plays. Its the same reason I think DL is on the hot seat. How long can we wait fo plahers to learn this D while also watching opponents laugh at our cushions.

Pretty sure the Tampa play that killed us was used by other teams... our 3rd down pass dedense is a joke.

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 07:58 PM
No, incorrect. Arians ran the ball plenty. 4 of the 5 teams he was the OC of ran for more yards than the alleged genius of Todd Haley's 2014 team.

The one that didn't? Won the Super Bowl.

LOL... I love it.

Also look at the OL for the bulk of those years with Arians... nowhere as good as this years OL.

I swear, besides your freaky love affair with Ben I think you keep getting banned because you have a ton of info that makes Arians detractors look like fools.

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 08:04 PM
My love affair is winning, and setting people straight.

Other than Steve Young maybe, I have never seen a local fan base treat a HOF QB like Yinzers treat Ben.

It's a shame.

Pittsburgh always gives QB's a hard time while gushing over RB's and Defenses...

phillyesq
01-07-2015, 10:35 AM
LOL... I love it.

Also look at the OL for the bulk of those years with Arians... nowhere as good as this years OL.

I swear, besides your freaky love affair with Ben I think you keep getting banned because you have a ton of info that makes Arians detractors look like fools.

And despite that crappy line, Bruce did nothing to adjust his play calling.

feltdizz
01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
And despite that crappy line, Bruce did nothing to adjust his play calling.

yep... and we still made it to 2 SB's.

phillyesq
01-07-2015, 10:53 AM
yep... and we still made it to 2 SB's.

James Harrison in 2008: 16 sacks, 1 Int, 7 FFs. Troy Polamalu: 7 Ints. Think the defense may have played any role in that?

feltdizz
01-07-2015, 12:38 PM
James Harrison in 2008: 16 sacks, 1 Int, 7 FFs. Troy Polamalu: 7 Ints. Think the defense may have played any role in that?

yep... and this year we had the greatest show on turf and couldn't score 20 points at home in the playoffs.

Djfan
01-09-2015, 12:24 AM
I remember when Brucey was here, he was quoted in the paper saying that when they are doing something that doesn't work, he likes to back to it a few more times. He thought it caught the opposing defense off guard? IDK, but that was the last straw for me.

Cutting Dan Kreider was the first straw.

Chadman
01-09-2015, 01:26 AM
I don't know why I'm doing this- but I'm pretty sure that Andrew Luck offence of the Colts under Arians carried that D....who plays D for Indy anyway?

papillon
01-09-2015, 07:39 AM
I don't know why I'm doing this- but I'm pretty sure that Andrew Luck offence of the Colts under Arians carried that D....who plays D for Indy anyway?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/IND

I thought you knew about Google. :D

Pappy

Chadman
01-09-2015, 09:30 AM
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/IND

I thought you knew about Google. :D

Pappy

What is this 'google' of which you speak?

B&GinNC
01-09-2015, 09:59 AM
In all the talk about Bruce as Coach of the Year because of all the injuries he had, especially at quarterback, I wonder if it was considered that his exit from Pittsburgh was largely due to the fact that Ben wasn't staying upright... he ended up playing a guy he signed off San Diego's practice squad in a playoff game because he doesn't have Ben or Luck in Arizona to absorb the punishment his system generates on the QB. He will never succeed in the postseason without his quarterback, and he'll have to change his philosophy to keep the guy healthy.

feltdizz
01-09-2015, 10:32 AM
In all the talk about Bruce as Coach of the Year because of all the injuries he had, especially at quarterback, I wonder if it was considered that his exit from Pittsburgh was largely due to the fact that Ben wasn't staying upright... he ended up playing a guy he signed off San Diego's practice squad in a playoff game because he doesn't have Ben or Luck in Arizona to absorb the punishment his system generates on the QB. He will never succeed in the postseason without his quarterback, and he'll have to change his philosophy to keep the guy healthy.

Its been considered all day long on here....

However, I think you need to actually look at how often Arians QB's were sacked last year and how Palmer sustained his injury.

Palmer was only sacked 9 times in 6 games and he wasn't even hit when he was injured.

papillon
01-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Its been considered all day long on here....

However, I think you need to actually look at how often Arians QB's were sacked last year and how Palmer sustained his injury.

Palmer was only sacked 9 times in 6 games and he wasn't even hit when he was injured.

And, Drew Stanton's sack numbers (1.2 per game) were similar to Palmer's (1.5 per game), Ryan Lindley had the highest sacks per game at 2, because he just isn't ready to be an NFL quarterback yet, not because of the offense. Ben was and still is his own worst enemy when it comes to taking hits and I love him for it. He never gives up on a play, even when he should.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
And, Drew Stanton's sack numbers (1.2 per game) were similar to Palmer's (1.5 per game), Ryan Lindley had the highest sacks per game at 2, because he just isn't ready to be an NFL quarterback yet, not because of the offense. Ben was and still is his own worst enemy when it comes to taking hits and I love him for it. He never gives up on a play, even when he should.

Pappy

Yep... but the OL will always be blamed for QB pressure even when some of the sacks are on Ben. I'm OK with it as well. Used to have me PO'ed but now I just accept who he is and how he plays the game.

Slapstick
01-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Pappy

Last year in ARZ, Carson Palmer's sack numbers took a quantum leap for the worse in Arians' system...he was sacked 41 times in 2013, when in his entire career prior to joining ARZ, he had been sacked 30 times only once. And never as many as 40...

By way of comparison, Ben was sacked 42 times in 2013...Ben has a history of taking a lot of sacks...Palmer did not...

papillon
01-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Last year in ARZ, Carson Palmer's sack numbers took a quantum leap for the worse in Arians' system...he was sacked 41 times in 2013, when in his entire career prior to joining ARZ, he had been sacked 30 times only once. And never as many as 40...

By way of comparison, Ben was sacked 42 times in 2013...Ben has a history of taking a lot of sacks...Palmer did not...

Unfamiliarity with a new offense will do that, this year after understanding the offense better he was sacked 1.5 times per game which would 24 over 16 games a quantum leap back to normalcy. That's my story I'm sticking with it. Stanton was not being sacked a lot this year either.

Pappy