PDA

View Full Version : 10 Final Takeaways from Pittsburgh Steelers' Season

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Don't agree with everything but hits the mark on some. Worth posting for discussion purposes

10 Final Takeaways from Pittsburgh Steelers' Season
January 04, 2015 by Matt Krivanek

Following the ugly 30-17 loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Saturday, the Pittsburgh Steelers' 2014 campaign is now history. While an 11-5 finish, AFC North crown and playoff berth can't be considered a failed season, it sure felt like this team could have gone farther. Here, I'll break down the essential components of this year as well as deliver some parting notes.

1) Todd Haley's transition from hated to hero: The Todd Haley experiment as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator wasn't a resounding success in the first two years. This season got off to a shaky start, but Haley finally found his balance. Power runs to Le'Veon Bell got opposing defenses to play tighter, which opened up killer possibilites with play action. Antonio Brown is almost always open. Big Ben finished the year tied for most passing yards (4,952) with Drew Brees, along with a 103.3 rating. The offensive did collapse in Raven territory last night, but that is not entirely Haley's fault. If Haley can avoid over thinking himself, this offense will be set for seasons to come.

2) Le'Veon Bell's absence alters everything: I was one of the fans petitioning for Bell to sit all week, even if he were to play with limited snaps. I assumed that without Bell, the focus would shift solely to attacking the Baltimore secondary - and it did. However, Bell's presence alone changes the attitude of defenses. He gets defenders to creep up more, and he draws plenty of attention as a check-down receiver. A stout front seven like the Ravens' isn't scared of Ben Tate or Josh Harris. The third round pick spent on Dri Archer was a total waste. Roethlisberger didn't even look in his direction when he was open as a receiver, and who could blame him? Aside from straight line speed, Archer offers nothing. Harris reminded me of Trent Richardson, as his sluggish acceleration out of the backfield resulted in 2.8 yards per carry. Still doubting Bell as team MVP?

3) The secondary returns to its pitiful, original form: After a string of solid performances from Brice McCain and Antwon Blake, things looked hopeful for the Wild Card game. However, old demons haunted the Steelers. On seemingly every third down, Flacco managed to find a receiver underneath. No matter the distance - 5, 10, 20 yards - they reached it. Steve Smith, with his dentures and walker, hauled in 5 catches for 101 yards. Tight end Owen Daniels, as he whined for flags like a kid at a toy store, caught 4 for 70 yards. His damage was killer on third down conversions. This secondary doesn't let up eye-popping numbers, but they melt down when needed most.

4) Mike Mitchell, the most hated man: After the game, free safety Mike Mitchell said that he has been playing for months with a torn groin (this was reported by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Alan Robinson in October, but no one cared to notice). Props to him, because playing through such an injury is remarkable. But really, why would he postpone surgery for this long? Is this why he's been out of position all year? The coaches definitely knew about it, but Mitchell probably down played it every week. I still believe it's too early to call Mitchell a total bust. The team moved him from his comfortable strong safety spot, where he excelled in Carolina previously. Assuming he comes back 100% from his torn groin, I'm interested to see how he performs next year. I'm probably the only one.

5) Troy Polamalu could be done: Steelers beat writer Mark Kaboly believes Troy's tenure in Pittsburgh is all but finished. Although Polamalu's deal doesn't end until 2017, the team will owe him $5+ million for the next two seasons (per rotoworld.com). Troy simply doesn't have the lightning fast reaction he once did. He still has great field awareness and is a reliable tackler, though. Polamalu remains one the model citizens of the NFL, never getting into trouble and eating humble pie everyday. Seeing him in another uniform is going to make me severely ill, but business is business. The team probably believes they can acquire another skilled safety for cheaper. Move Mitchell back to strong safety if this does come to fruition. Still, I wonder how Troy would perform with better coworkers...

6) 2015 free agents: Notable free agents are in abundance on the defensive side. I'll run through them here. Ike Taylor - let go. No analysis needed. James Harrison - sign. He provided a boost to the pass rush and I think he'll give it one last shot. Jason Worilds - let go. He'll want big money, but he's not worth it. A team like the Falcons will give him what he wants. Brice McCain - sign. He's average at best, but he should be cheap and depth is needed. Antwon Blake - sign. He's scrappy and has shown potential. Arthur Moats - sign. He's a solid pass rusher and again, more depth is better. Will Allen - sign. Hopefully he'll be cheap, and he could start if Polamalu goes. The key trend here is low cost.

7) Rookies are very promising: The youth movement is taking some of the hometown favorites away, but these young guys are very skilled. Stephon Tuitt did an admirable job coming in for the ineffective Cam Thomas, and he's only going to improve. Martavis Bryant is a scary deep threat, and he reminds me of an off brand Randy Moss. A lofty comparison, I know, but their skills sets are similar. Ryan Shazier missed a lot of action, but his athleticism is needed. He made a stellar play during Justin Forsett's fumble by dragging him away from the ball, thus allowing Tuitt to jump on it.

8) Heeeeeath is nearing the end: As reliable as Heath Miller is, his speed is concerning, and he's dropped more passes this year than he has in nine seasons combined. The Steelers need to invest in a young, quick tight end in the draft. Imagine how much more effective the play action could be if Ben could check down to Florida State's Nick O'Leary or Maxx Williams of Minnesota. Heath catches the ball and takes five whole seconds to turn around.

9) This team needs leaders: Give credit to the coaching staff as a whole for righting the ship, but the Steelers are still in need of quality leadership. Penalties last night gave the Ravens great field position and kept their drives alive throughout. Mike Tomlin still doesn't fully get through to the squad, so on-the-field leaders will be crucial. Lawrence Timmons and Cam Heyward lead the defense, but the secondary still needs a mentor to keep them in check. And as much as I love Big Ben, he appears lost and confused very often. All the years of 40+ sacks must have permanently rattled him.

10) Don't blame LeBeau: I've heard so many fans call for Dick LeBeau's firing, but I don't know if that's the best choice. Think about it - LeBeau turned this mistfit defense into a formidable unit down the stretch. His patented zone blitz scheme is complex, and this defense has welcomed a crop of young players. The run defense clearly improved, and now the secondary needs work. With improving youngsters and a quality free agent signing, LeBeau's defense could return to a top 15 unit.

feltdizz
01-05-2015, 02:53 PM
I agree on Mitchell, Troy and Heath...

Mitchell needs another year without Troy running around to see if he can deliver.

Troy needs to retire..

Heath gets another year but we have to invest in a pass catching TE this draft. Heath is slow, old and he struggles to secure the ball when he is tackled.

Steelhere10
01-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Every thing is spot on except for the last one. Dickey suck's.

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Every thing is spot on except for the last one. Dickey suck's.

I said I didn't agree with all of them. Time to leave the LeBeau era behind and look to the future.

bostonsteeler
01-06-2015, 12:18 AM
DL must go. Any scheme that needs one full contract term of 5 years to master is useless in today's game. Not to mention, all that effort is useless anyway; the league knows how to deal with it by now.