PDA

View Full Version : Shawn's First Mock

Shawn
01-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I know, I know…the body isn't even cold yet. Much to the chagrin of mock draft haters…I'm putting out my first. Have already watched much game film and I think I have found a few guys who look like Steelers. Keep in mind I don't know what our exact draft picks will be.

1st Round- Dante Fowler-OLB Florida-I think the Steelers kinda surprise fans who believe they will go safety or DB in the first with OLB. It appears the Steelers will be drafting 22nd which should be right in line with snatching up this big, fast, disruptive and versatile playmaker on the outside. There are many things to like about this guy but what jumped out to me on film was his ability to diagnose plays and not be fooled by trickery. He holds the point and makes plays. He is disruptive in the pass rush. He is big enough to handle OTs in the NFL. I believe this guy has some serious potential.

2nd Round- Derron Smith-FS Fresno State-The Steelers faithful take a sigh of relief when they go FS in the second. Wow, do I like this guy. He is a ball hawk, strong tackler, physical, can cover and terrific in run support when called upon. He is being compared to Earl Thomas.

3rd Round- Doran Grant-DB tOSU- Back to back secondary the Steelers grab a guy who has quietly had a terrific season for the Buckeyes. He is known for work ethic and leadership. His game is solid. He can cover, has good hands, solid tackler. I don't see many holes in his game. He will fall to the third because he won't run a 4.3, he isn't 6 foot+…but he has more than enough athletic ability to be a solid DB at the next level.

4th Round-Jeff Heuerman-TE- This is as close to a Heath Miller type that they have in the draft. High character, lunch pail TE who has enough speed to split out, and enough blocking skills to take on big time pass rushers. His hands are solid, his routes above average, his blocking good but will get better with some minor tweaks to his technique. Slim pickings at TE this year but I think the Steelers find a gem in the 4th. With that said, if the Steelers wait a year or two that TE out of Minnesota is going to be special.

5th Round-Malcom Brown-RB Texas- I really like this guy…big bruising back with soft hands. This guy moves piles, breaks arm tackles with ease. He is one cut, no nonsense power back who was considered the best back in the country coming out of high school. He reminds me so much of Jeremy Hill. I seen both their college film and it's like they are the same player. My only question with Brown is his speed. He appears to me to be a high 4.6 guy. I would guess him at a 4.68 by his film. If he runs faster than that he might not make it to the 5th.

6th Round- Jameon Lewis-WR/KR Mississipi State- I know I know…another small WR/PR…a slower one at that. But, this guy produced in the SEC. He isn't going to run a 4.3 but man is this guy quick, and let me tell you his vision is elite. He is a tough kid who is stronger than his size would indicate. He is fully capable of breaking tackles, making tough catches from the slot…moving chains and breaking a few.

7th Round- Connor Halliday-Let the hisses and boo's begin as the Steelers draft a QB in the 7th. We all know college numbers don't mean squat. But, this guy put up video game numbers. I guess what jumped out on film to me was his pocket awareness. The guy moves so well in the pocket…he doesn't seem to feel heat, is a big time gamer, competitive and can make all the throws. He is fast enough to scramble as well. My main question with this guy is some of his throws lacked zip. His mechanics seem a touch odd to me. But, reports say he can throw 60 yards and does indeed have enough arm for the next level.

pfelix73
01-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Only Gator I like is that CB. Fowler didn't stand out to me when they just played my alma mater over the weekend... then again, I was on my way to Pitt during the 2nd half.

B&GinNC
01-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Dante Fowler is a stud, make no mistake. He's an OLB in the mold of LaMarr Woodley with a far superior motor and better attitude. I'll be surprised if he gets to us at 22 because he's versatile enough to play 3 - 4 OLB or 4 - 3 DE at 270#. He had significant impact in the FSU game.

FWIW, Hargreaves was a 5 star out of high school, the #3 overall recruit in the country two years ago. He'll be a top 10 pick next year.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Only Gator I like is that CB. Fowler didn't stand out to me when they just played my alma mater over the weekend...

you weren't impressed by the 3 sacks Dante Fowler registered in the bowl game?

Gator Dante Fowler Jr. dominates bowl game, savors final UF victory

By Jordan McPherson, Orlando Sentinel Correspondent
January 3, 2015

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/01/03/0ap3000000453345.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Dante Fowler took time after Florida's 28-20 Birmingham Bowl win against East Carolina to soak in everything.

It marked his last time in a Florida jersey, his last time playing in front of a crowd of Gator fans and, most important to him, his last time playing with his UF teammates.

And to Fowler, he could not have gone out in a better fashion.

"This is it: going out with a 'W' and celebrating with my teammates and my coaches that I came in with. . . . I feel like this was the best decision I ever made," Fowler said. "And it is. I was fortunate enough to do great things here and that let me be able to go to the next level."

The junior defensive end finished the game with a career-high three sacks to go along with two quarterback hurries and a fourth-quarter pass deflection.

"Dante was disruptive in the backfield all day long," interim UF head coach D.J. Durkin said.

But for Durkin, who was one of Fowler's recruiters, Fowler's play on the field is just an added bonus.

"For a guy in this situation to go out and do what he did and play how he played, I can't say more about this guy's character. It's pretty amazing." Durkin said. "If you talk about a great teammate, great person and great football player — that's No. 6."

Fowler finished his final season with the Gators with a career-high 60 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks — two-and-a-half more than teammate and friend Alex McCalister.

"Our job is to compete to see who is going to get to the quarterback first," Fowler said. "Or who's going to meet each other at the quarterback first. So whenever I've got a guy like Alex that's as great of a pass rusher and me being able to do what I can do, that's always great."

When Fowler walked into the interview room at Legion Field following the game, he was the only one of UF's four players who spoke with the media who was still wearing his jersey.

To him, it was too soon to take it off.

But with the last question asked to him, Fowler made one promise.

"Once I take this jersey off," Fowler said, "it's coming with me."

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82451606/

Shawn
01-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Dante Fowler is a stud, make no mistake. He's an OLB in the mold of LaMarr Woodley with a far superior motor and better attitude. I'll be surprised if he gets to us at 22 because he's versatile enough to play 3 - 4 OLB or 4 - 3 DE at 270#. He had significant impact in the FSU game.

FWIW, Hargreaves was a 5 star out of high school, the #3 overall recruit in the country two years ago. He'll be a top 10 pick next year. You may very well be gone...CBS has him as the 14th best talent in the draft. I believe this is the guy if he makes it to 22.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-05-2015, 05:14 PM
You may very well be gone...CBS has him as the 14th best talent in the draft. I believe this is the guy if he makes it to 22.

You got one right. lol
Actually, I had 3 of the same before I changed...Fowler, Heurman, & Brown. Change it up with some new declares. Like your draft though.

pfelix73
01-05-2015, 05:32 PM
you weren't impressed by the 3 sacks Dante Fowler registered in the bowl game?

Gator Dante Fowler Jr. dominates bowl game, savors final UF victory

By Jordan McPherson, Orlando Sentinel Correspondent
January 3, 2015

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/01/03/0ap3000000453345.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Dante Fowler took time after Florida's 28-20 Birmingham Bowl win against East Carolina to soak in everything.

It marked his last time in a Florida jersey, his last time playing in front of a crowd of Gator fans and, most important to him, his last time playing with his UF teammates.

And to Fowler, he could not have gone out in a better fashion.

"This is it: going out with a 'W' and celebrating with my teammates and my coaches that I came in with. . . . I feel like this was the best decision I ever made," Fowler said. "And it is. I was fortunate enough to do great things here and that let me be able to go to the next level."

The junior defensive end finished the game with a career-high three sacks to go along with two quarterback hurries and a fourth-quarter pass deflection.

"Dante was disruptive in the backfield all day long," interim UF head coach D.J. Durkin said.

But for Durkin, who was one of Fowler's recruiters, Fowler's play on the field is just an added bonus.

"For a guy in this situation to go out and do what he did and play how he played, I can't say more about this guy's character. It's pretty amazing." Durkin said. "If you talk about a great teammate, great person and great football player — that's No. 6."

Fowler finished his final season with the Gators with a career-high 60 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks — two-and-a-half more than teammate and friend Alex McCalister.

"Our job is to compete to see who is going to get to the quarterback first," Fowler said. "Or who's going to meet each other at the quarterback first. So whenever I've got a guy like Alex that's as great of a pass rusher and me being able to do what I can do, that's always great."

When Fowler walked into the interview room at Legion Field following the game, he was the only one of UF's four players who spoke with the media who was still wearing his jersey.

To him, it was too soon to take it off.

But with the last question asked to him, Fowler made one promise.

"Once I take this jersey off," Fowler said, "it's coming with me."

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82451606/

No. Not really. I was more impressed with that CB. Forget his name.... Yea, that's it, Hargraves... guess he's a redshirt frosh tho.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 05:36 PM
You got one right. lol
Actually, I had 3 of the same before I changed...Fowler, Heurman, & Brown. Change it up with some new declares. Like your draft though.

Hey great minds think alike ;)

Shawn
01-05-2015, 05:43 PM
You got one right. lol
Actually, I had 3 of the same before I changed...Fowler, Heurman, & Brown. Change it up with some new declares. Like your draft though. I couldn't find any tape on Kroft. I know his number dropped off this year, but some scouting reports are very positive about his receiving skills.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
I would be ecstatic to get fowler at 22

He is a terror

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
I couldn't find any tape on Kroft. I know his number dropped off this year, but some scouting reports are very positive about his receiving skills.

He could be more of a flex guy with Miller still here & used inline when needed. A weapon in this offense. I would be equally as happy with Heuerman a round later.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
The Steelers could really help themselves if they figure out the OLB situation. Maybe it is Worilds at a bargain. Maybe they go the vet route & take a chance on a Brandon Graham at a similar price. Hard to say. Also difficult to determine anything at the Safety position. Is Shark Troy's replacement? Did Mitchell's injury really impact his production all year? If they "Feel" they are set at Safety & Have starters in place at OLB come draft day...That would really create the best situation at #22.

Deep draft at CB so no need to pull trigger in Rd #1. There isn't an elite level CB imo. You could get a TE in 3-4 for the future. Depth at OLB just in case JJ doesn't pan out in that same range. So where do you go with #22 if OLB & Safety set before draft? Here's a thought...If Andrus Peat LT is there...He will be highest rated player on the board. When Peat's ready to go...Beachum can battle Foster for LG. I couldn't pass on Franchise LT.

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
I would be ecstatic to get fowler at 22

He is a terror

He does seem to be good which is probably why he will rise in the draft versus fall like Jarvis Jones did. Fowler seems to have that speed and burst we need to get.

SteelerMaine83
01-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Shawn, I'm a draftnik geek, so the mocks should start once we know where the Steelers pick ( I was hoping 32nd). Nice draft, meets needs, strong group of Steelers-type players. However, right now the barometer reads a little higher on Fowler (who would be a nice pick). How he does at the Combine and FLA team day will determine if he falls as low as 22. In this now pass-happy, everything deserves a flag league, edge pass-rushers are more important than ever, and DBs actually less so (if you can't get to the QB it doesn't matter how well you cover). Collins-Fowler-Shelton-Waynes (in that order--unlikely any of them available at 22), BPA (may be an OT, as the 1st 3 rounds are loaded), or trade for #2 and #3. I do like the Fowler idea though--facing the RT, that OLB needs that size/strength advantage that Woodley (at his best) had. Nice mock.

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 05:59 PM
If they "Feel" they are set at Safety & Have starters in place at OLB come draft day

If they really believed this I would seriously question Colbert's sanity. Worilds took a step back this year and Jones has yet to take a step forward. This defense doesn't work without at least one dominant OLB pass rusher. We don't have one right now as the worst performance in sacks (33) in about 30 years clearly shows.

Our best pass rushers are on the defensive line. Need to utilize that.

I do agree that no CB in this draft screams Round 1.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:11 PM
The Steelers could really help themselves if they figure out the OLB situation. Maybe it is Worilds at a bargain. Maybe they go the vet route & take a chance on a Brandon Graham at a similar price. Hard to say. Also difficult to determine anything at the Safety position. Is Shark Troy's replacement? Did Mitchell's injury really impact his production all year? If they "Feel" they are set at Safety & Have starters in place at OLB come draft day...That would really create the best situation at #22.

Deep draft at CB so no need to pull trigger in Rd #1. There isn't an elite level CB imo. You could get a TE in 3-4 for the future. Depth at OLB just in case JJ doesn't pan out in that same range. So where do you go with #22 if OLB & Safety set before draft? Here's a thought...If Andrus Peat LT is there...He will be highest rated player on the board. When Peat's ready to go...Beachum can battle Foster for LG. I couldn't pass on Franchise LT.

It would be hard to pass on a franchise LT but Beachum had another good year for the Steelers. Would rather see them draft to replace Gilbert.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Shawn, I'm a draftnik geek, so the mocks should start once we know where the Steelers pick ( I was hoping 32nd). Nice draft, meets needs, strong group of Steelers-type players. However, right now the barometer reads a little higher on Fowler (who would be a nice pick). How he does at the Combine and FLA team day will determine if he falls as low as 22. In this now pass-happy, everything deserves a flag league, edge pass-rushers are more important than ever, and DBs actually less so (if you can't get to the QB it doesn't matter how well you cover). Collins-Fowler-Shelton-Waynes (in that order--unlikely any of them available at 22), BPA (may be an OT, as the 1st 3 rounds are loaded), or trade for #2 and #3. I do like the Fowler idea though--facing the RT, that OLB needs that size/strength advantage that Woodley (at his best) had. Nice mock. I always appreciate advice from experts.

SteelerMaine83
01-05-2015, 06:39 PM
No expert, and advice is free. Just another guy who has watched football from noon to midnight (or later) the last three weeks. It's easy to sit back and do this now, but the "live" variables on draft day are so hard to predict. No one (and I mean no one) would have thought David Decastro would last as long as he did. We know the Steelers, but every other team has their own likes and dislikes that sometimes defy convention and create "fallers". I like Kelvin Beachum, and I'm okay (read, just okay) with Gilbert, but Adams still scares me. Munchak has had a profound impact on this group--but there could be some franchise-type LT talent still available at 22 that could be very hard to pass on.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:45 PM
No expert, and advice is free. Just another guy who has watched football from noon to midnight (or later) the last three weeks. It's easy to sit back and do this now, but the "live" variables on draft day are so hard to predict. No one (and I mean no one) would have thought David Decastro would last as long as he did. We know the Steelers, but every other team has their own likes and dislikes that sometimes defy convention and create "fallers". I like Kelvin Beachum, and I'm okay (read, just okay) with Gilbert, but Adams still scares me. Munchak has had a profound impact on this group--but there could be some franchise-type LT talent still available at 22 that could be very hard to pass on. I would agree. First round is usually about who falls to the Steelers and could be a shocker.

SteelBucks
01-05-2015, 07:24 PM
1st Round - DB
2nd Round - DB
3rd Round - DB
4th Round - DB
5th Round - DB
6th Round - DB
7th Round - DB

Slapstick
01-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Peat is an interesting prospect...but, lasting until 22 is a long shot. Though, I said the same thing about DeCastro. In any case, his declaration at least increases the chance of another good non-QB prospect down the draft board and to the Steelers...

SteelerMaine83
01-05-2015, 07:37 PM
1st Round - DB
2nd Round - DB
3rd Round - DB
4th Round - DB
5th Round - DB
6th Round - DB
7th Round - DB

Okay. 1 T.Waynes_CB, 2 Q.Rollins-CB, 3 J. Tartt,S, 4 D. Eskridge-S, 5 D. Swann-CB, 6 K. White-CB, 7. R. Therezie-S
4 CB, 3 S, keep Blake and Shamarko and we'll have a nice young secondary!

Iron City Inc.
01-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Well getting OLB S CB and TE in the first four rounds I don't think anyone could argue with that. Somehow it never goes how we think it should. There are a bunch of OLB/DE hybrids that will intrigue our coaching staff. We had speed as the theme a year ago and I hope physical is the theme for 15.
We could use another 5 tech because as far as I'm concerned Cam Thomas just doesn't bring anything to the table.
Penn State TE Jesse James could be a day 3 sleeper. Legit 6 6 junior with some upside.

papillon
01-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Peat is the second rated tackle in the draft, franchise tackles go quickly. I see no way he falls to 22. Tackles, QBs and WRs usually are positions where teams panic and draft players ahead of where they normally would be drafted.

Pappy

Shawn
01-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Well getting OLB S CB and TE in the first four rounds I don't think anyone could argue with that. Somehow it never goes how we think it should. There are a bunch of OLB/DE hybrids that will intrigue our coaching staff. We had speed as the theme a year ago and I hope physical is the theme for 15.
We could use another 5 tech because as far as I'm concerned Cam Thomas just doesn't bring anything to the table.
Penn State TE Jesse James could be a day 3 sleeper. Legit 6 6 junior with some upside. You and I see eye to eye on this…powerful tough guys. Yes, speed is nice but this is still a tough guy sport.

NJ-STEELER
01-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Tackles, QBs and WRs usually are positions where teams panic and draft players ahead of where they normally would be drafted.

Pappy

I agree with that premise but wonder since they are all scooped up early, how many teams that usually finish that low actually need one since they may have picked one up recently?

Tampa Bay
qb

Tennessee
dont need one

Jacksonville
DNO

Oakland
?

Washington
DNO

New York Jets
DNO

Chicago
has to be D

Atlanta
D possible OT

New York Giants
DNO -D

St. Louis
DNO

Minnesota
DNO

Cleveland
DNO

New Orleans
Possible -

Miami
could use one

San Francisco
DNO

Houston
possibly

San Diego
took OT last year

Kansas City
possibly

Cleveland
DNO

Philadelphia
DNO

Cincinnati DNO

you never know

papillon
01-06-2015, 07:43 AM
I agree with that premise but wonder since they are all scooped up early, how many teams that usually finish that low actually need one since they may have picked one up recently?

Tampa Bay
qb

Tennessee
dont need one

Jacksonville
DNO

Oakland
?

Washington
DNO

New York Jets
DNO

Chicago
has to be D

Atlanta
D possible OT

New York Giants
DNO -D

St. Louis
DNO

Minnesota
DNO

Cleveland
DNO

New Orleans
Possible -

Miami
could use one

San Francisco
DNO

Houston
possibly

San Diego
took OT last year

Kansas City
possibly

Cleveland
DNO

Philadelphia
DNO

Cincinnati DNO

you never know

Of the three positions that I mentioned which one are you referring to in this post?

Pappy

Oviedo
01-06-2015, 09:45 AM
1st Round - DB
2nd Round - DB
3rd Round - DB
4th Round - DB
5th Round - DB
6th Round - DB
7th Round - DB

With a pathetic pass rush like we have that can only generate 33 sacks it won't matter who you have playing DB. In this NFL of today, a DB can't cover close or it is interference or holding. Only way to fix the defense is overwhelming pass rush and attacking the QB.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-06-2015, 09:50 AM
We have seen the guys drop ala DeCastro & JJ...We know it happens. It is early but when the process is full swing we will have a better indication. One thing I do in the first round is group them in the 10's meaning 1-10 / 11-20 / 21-30. More times than not a guy falls out of that group. Both Fowler & Peat will end up in the 11-20 range imo. Steelers at 22 are in a good position to grab one of those fallers IF it happens.

Shawn
01-06-2015, 01:14 PM
With a pathetic pass rush like we have that can only generate 33 sacks it won't matter who you have playing DB. In this NFL of today, a DB can't cover close or it is interference or holding. Only way to fix the defense is overwhelming pass rush and attacking the QB. Don't get me wrong, I agree. But, much of that luster pass rush came at the beginning of the season.

grotonsteel
01-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I like this draft but one has to ask how many LBers Steelers will keep drafting in Rd 1???? They have to start developing players and right now its not happening at Defensive side. Also he will not see any playing action as long as DL is the DC. Time to get a FA.

I think its time to get a TE in Rd 1. Maxx Williams will look nice in B&G.

Draft few DB and OLB in Rd2- Rd 4.

Shawn
01-06-2015, 05:39 PM
I like this draft but one has to ask how many LBers Steelers will keep drafting in Rd 1???? They have to start developing players and right now its not happening at Defensive side. Also he will not see any playing action as long as DL is the DC. Time to get a FA.

I think its time to get a TE in Rd 1. Maxx Williams will look nice in B&G.

Draft few DB and OLB in Rd2- Rd 4. As many as they need.

NJ-STEELER
01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Of the three positions that I mentioned which one are you referring to in this post?

Pappy

sorry

Tackles is what i was referring to. we dont need a qb or WR in the 1st round

SteelBucks
01-06-2015, 09:41 PM
With a pathetic pass rush like we have that can only generate 33 sacks it won't matter who you have playing DB. In this NFL of today, a DB can't cover close or it is interference or holding. Only way to fix the defense is overwhelming pass rush and attacking the QB.

Pass rush or no pass rush, the Steelers need DB's. The secondary is god awful.

papillon
01-06-2015, 09:49 PM
sorry

Tackles is what i was referring to. we dont need a qb or WR in the 1st round

You have 5 possible tackles being selected in front of the Steelers, if those teams need the tackles they will draft them if the tackles are on the board, in the first round tackles go quick. I think a great football player is going to drop to the Steelers this year again. I'm not giving up on Shazier and Jones, I believe they are great football players. I have a feeling they are going to each be a force in this league soon. I have absolutely nothing to base that on and, in fact, if I would look at production it's much easier to say each won't produce. I just think they will.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-07-2015, 01:50 AM
You have 5 possible tackles being selected in front of the Steelers, if those teams need the tackles they will draft them if the tackles are on the board, in the first round tackles go quick. I think a great football player is going to drop to the Steelers this year again. I'm not giving up on Shazier and Jones, I believe they are great football players. I have a feeling they are going to each be a force in this league soon. I have absolutely nothing to base that on and, in fact, if I would look at production it's much easier to say each won't produce. I just think they will.

Pappy

i went back and checked on some teams because i wasnt sure of the situation with them and while i was at it checked all the teams i said might need one

changed the falcons to a No because they just drafted jake matthews.
changed miami to a No because they used a 1st rounder on their LT as well
houston has veteran duane brown. keep that as a maybe in case they go BPA and want to get younger but they're not hurting in that area

changed KC - they took fisher last year

NJ-STEELER
01-07-2015, 01:54 AM

Tampa Bay
qb

Tennessee
dont need one

Jacksonville
DNO

Oakland*****
could use one

Washington
DNO

New York Jets
DNO

Chicago
has to be D

Atlanta****
DNO

New York Giants
DNO -D

St. Louis
DNO

Minnesota
DNO

Cleveland
DNO

New Orleans ***
PROBABLY NOT

Miami****
dno

San Francisco
DNO

Houston****
possibly

San Diego
took OT last year

Kansas City***
DNO -took fisher

Cleveland
DNO

Philadelphia
DNO

Cincinnati DNO

you never know

****updated

looks much more possible now focusing on needs, but i agree with you somewhat, would be awfly surprising to see 2nd best LT prospect fall into the 20s

NJ-STEELER
01-07-2015, 02:27 AM

****updated

looks much more possible now focusing on needs, but i agree with you somewhat, would be awfly surprising to see 2nd best LT prospect fall into the 20s

In addition to that, just read a blurb that it looks to be a strong draft for OTS.
and (unfortunately) weak at cb and OLB

papillon
01-07-2015, 02:32 AM

****updated

Top 3 needs for all 32 teams.

According to this write up there are 7 teams before the Steelers that need an OT.
There are 8 teams in need of a pass rusher
There are 8 teams that need a CB (in a CB weak class)
There are 3 that need a safety and they're all just above the Steelers
Just some interesting info...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000407751/article/2015-nfl-draft-order-top-3-needs-for-all-32-teams

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-07-2015, 02:45 AM
Thx

interesting read. But he's looking at it overall In the draft I believe. If the buds don't pick a QB in the 1st, Tampa fans will go crazy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-07-2015, 09:36 AM
CB class weak at Top...Strong through middle. This wouldn't be a good year to reach for a CB in the 1st.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-07-2015, 10:15 AM
There is 1 Top 10 LT right now I would slot & that is Scherff. There are 4-5 OT than can fall in the Top 25 when all said in done. Allot of work has to be done on them to see who is a NFL caliber LT. Peat might be at #2 because of ceiling early but that could change. Clemmings from Pitt & Ogbuehi from A&M are two who should build steam through workouts. They will show movement skills of NFL caliber LTs. It is early with more to declare but even now I see 11 defensive players, 2 QBs, 1 OT & 1 WR locks in the Top 20. We know a couple more OTs could be in there. Easy to say teams looking for skill on offense might take a Gordon RB in the Top 20. Green-Beckham lights up the combine someone will gamble on him. White & Parker could also be Top 20 guys. Someone will slip through the cracks. Like someone said...It will be a good football player.

K Train
01-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I know, I know…the body isn't even cold yet. Much to the chagrin of mock draft haters…I'm putting out my first. Have already watched much game film and I think I have found a few guys who look like Steelers. Keep in mind I don't know what our exact draft picks will be.

1st Round- Dante Fowler-OLB Florida-I think the Steelers kinda surprise fans who believe they will go safety or DB in the first with OLB. It appears the Steelers will be drafting 22nd which should be right in line with snatching up this big, fast, disruptive and versatile playmaker on the outside. There are many things to like about this guy but what jumped out to me on film was his ability to diagnose plays and not be fooled by trickery. He holds the point and makes plays. He is disruptive in the pass rush. He is big enough to handle OTs in the NFL. I believe this guy has some serious potential.

2nd Round- Derron Smith-FS Fresno State-The Steelers faithful take a sigh of relief when they go FS in the second. Wow, do I like this guy. He is a ball hawk, strong tackler, physical, can cover and terrific in run support when called upon. He is being compared to Earl Thomas.

3rd Round- Doran Grant-DB tOSU- Back to back secondary the Steelers grab a guy who has quietly had a terrific season for the Buckeyes. He is known for work ethic and leadership. His game is solid. He can cover, has good hands, solid tackler. I don't see many holes in his game. He will fall to the third because he won't run a 4.3, he isn't 6 foot+…but he has more than enough athletic ability to be a solid DB at the next level.

4th Round-Jeff Heuerman-TE- This is as close to a Heath Miller type that they have in the draft. High character, lunch pail TE who has enough speed to split out, and enough blocking skills to take on big time pass rushers. His hands are solid, his routes above average, his blocking good but will get better with some minor tweaks to his technique. Slim pickings at TE this year but I think the Steelers find a gem in the 4th. With that said, if the Steelers wait a year or two that TE out of Minnesota is going to be special.

5th Round-Malcom Brown-RB Texas- I really like this guy…big bruising back with soft hands. This guy moves piles, breaks arm tackles with ease. He is one cut, no nonsense power back who was considered the best back in the country coming out of high school. He reminds me so much of Jeremy Hill. I seen both their college film and it's like they are the same player. My only question with Brown is his speed. He appears to me to be a high 4.6 guy. I would guess him at a 4.68 by his film. If he runs faster than that he might not make it to the 5th.

6th Round- Jameon Lewis-WR/KR Mississipi State- I know I know…another small WR/PR…a slower one at that. But, this guy produced in the SEC. He isn't going to run a 4.3 but man is this guy quick, and let me tell you his vision is elite. He is a tough kid who is stronger than his size would indicate. He is fully capable of breaking tackles, making tough catches from the slot…moving chains and breaking a few.

7th Round- Connor Halliday-Let the hisses and boo's begin as the Steelers draft a QB in the 7th. We all know college numbers don't mean squat. But, this guy put up video game numbers. I guess what jumped out on film to me was his pocket awareness. The guy moves so well in the pocket…he doesn't seem to feel heat, is a big time gamer, competitive and can make all the throws. He is fast enough to scramble as well. My main question with this guy is some of his throws lacked zip. His mechanics seem a touch odd to me. But, reports say he can throw 60 yards and does indeed have enough arm for the next level.

I would definitely prefer Dupree over Fowler.

Doran Grant is a bit of a tweener, probably more of a safety in the pros.

Id go something like this:

1. Alvin Dupree OLB Kentucky, or one of the FSU CBs
2. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon (red shirt him after the injury, its like stealing), Eli Harold another choice OLB from Virginia
3. Quentin Rollins CB Miami OH
3. Sean Hickey OT Syracuse....just a text book blocker, very sound
4. Michael Dyer RB Louisville
5. Jake Mcgee TE Florida or Jean Sifron TE UMASS (jump ball specialist, raw but has that Jimmy Graham/Julius Thomas ability)
6. Jaquiski Tartt, FS Samford...watch him blow up at the senior bowl and combine, guy has AWESOME range.
7. Some other guy

Realistically I am hoping they make a move, they havent traded up since 06 and it would be nice to land Trae Waynes, Vic Beasley, or Shane Ray

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Todd McShay has Dante Fowler, Jr going to the Atlanta Falcons at #8...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-07-2015, 03:22 PM

I looked at about 10 mocks, and almost all had him in the top 10. Only one I saw had him dropping close to 22.

steelblood
01-07-2015, 03:25 PM
I like the OSU TE. Fowler may be athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB, but I would like to see him work out there. I hate Malcolm Brown. He is a boring RB who rarely creates on his own (as NFL RBs have to regularly). 3.9 yes per carry in the Big 12? Ick.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
One guy who would not surprise me is Cam Erving from FSU. He has "position flexibility" which this team loves, and he played at FSU, and it seems that the Steelers like drafting FSU products.

K Train
01-07-2015, 03:36 PM
One guy who would not surprise me is Cam Erving from FSU. He has "position flexibility" which this team loves, and he played at FSU, and it seems that the Steelers like drafting FSU products.
In what round? 2?

Steelers oline seems pretty solid to me, I dont really expect them to burn a high pick

Slapstick
01-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Unless a franchise LT is somehow available at #22...

K Train
01-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Unless a franchise LT is somehow available at #22...

Beachum played great for the most part this year, I would probably take Scherff and Peat though

Slapstick
01-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Beachum played great for the most part this year, I would probably take Scherff and Peat though

Yeah, I like Beachum as well. But, if a so-called franchise LT falls to you, you are foolish not to take him, IMO.

Especially if you are planning to sign your franchise QB to a deal which will allow him to retire as a Steeler...

K Train
01-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I like Beachum as well. But, if a so-called franchise LT falls to you, you are foolish not to take him, IMO.

Especially if you are planning to sign your franchise QB to a deal which will allow him to retire as a Steeler...

Are you foolish to not take one? This is not a QB we are talking about where the rule is if you dont have one you dont pass on one.

With such pressing needs elsewhere why take a LT even if one falls to you? Beachum played well enough, and is probably in the top half of LTs in the league in every category. Beachum is a value player right now too, we cant have Pouncey being the highest paid center, Gilbert with top 10 RT money, Decastro on deck for an extension in 2 years, and a first round pick invested in a LT when we have one playing some high quality football right now, even if hes short hes very effective.

The oline is a strength of the team right now, drafting an oline would be one of the more baffling picks we could make. I have them taking one in the 4th (Hickey), hes not a special athlete but the man doesnt miss blocks and he holds his own.

You are foolish not to take Waynes, or one of the top pass rushers (Ray, Beasley, Dupree).

Slapstick
01-07-2015, 05:58 PM
You can't draft for need. When you do, you find yourself with a lot of needs. If a "great" LT is the best player on the board and an upgrade, you are indeed foolish not to pick him. I don't think that any top CB or edge rusher will make it to #22. I could be wrong, though.

I'd rather take the best player than overdraft a player to fill a need. If need and value come together? I'm all for it.

K Train
01-07-2015, 06:04 PM
You can't draft for need. When you do, you find yourself with a lot of needs. If a "great" LT is the best player on the board and an upgrade, you are indeed foolish not to pick him. I don't think that any top CB or edge rusher will make it to #22. I could be wrong, though.

I'd rather take the best player than overdraft a player to fill a need. If need and value come together? I'm all for it.
I dont mean reaching for value, but a "great" LT prospect doesnt make it out of the top 10 hardly ever, if Scherff was there Id be very conflicted....he is probably more of a RT or a guard that pounds the defense into submission, is that really what we need though?

A silky smooth combo of BPA and Need are what we need.....you probably have to trade up for Waynes (who is way better than Dennard was btw) and Ray, but beasley may fall, Peters should be there, Dupree will likely be there....if not then maybe you are looking at an OT, or Danny Shelton at NT, or Maxx Williams at TE.

Slapstick
01-07-2015, 06:10 PM
For us, need and BPA came together with DeCastro and Jones. DeCastro had a good 3rd season. I hope Jones has a good third season...

NJ-STEELER
01-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Are you foolish to not take one? This is not a QB we are talking about where the rule is if you dont have one you dont pass on one.

With such pressing needs elsewhere why take a LT even if one falls to you? Beachum played well enough, and is probably in the top half of LTs in the league in every category. Beachum is a value player right now too, we cant have Pouncey being the highest paid center, Gilbert with top 10 RT money, Decastro on deck for an extension in 2 years, and a first round pick invested in a LT when we have one playing some high quality football right now, even if hes short hes very effective.

The oline is a strength of the team right now, drafting an oline would be one of the more baffling picks we could make. I have them taking one in the 4th (Hickey), hes not a special athlete but the man doesnt miss blocks and he holds his own.

You are foolish not to take Waynes, or one of the top pass rushers (Ray, Beasley, Dupree).

LT is a premium position in the league. even at his best I'm not sure beach can crack the top 10. when he's not playing well then he's in the bottom 3rd of LTs in the league. he (along with the rest of the OL) struggles with Big, physical DLs.

I think his best position could be guard (with his smarts, mobility) and filling in anywhere on the OL. If there is an LT there at 22, it may strengthen 2 positions on the OL.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2015, 09:21 PM
hey Shawn,

is Noah Spence worth taking a chance on?

Rara
01-07-2015, 10:49 PM
I would like the following (3 options put in for each..then my actual):

1st round: Danny Shelton, DT; Washington/Trae Waynes, CB; Michigan State/Marcus Peters, CB; Washington
2nd round: Derron Smith, FS; Fresno State (LIKE THIS ONE...if we can get an Earl Thomas clone, that'd be great!)
4th round: (LIKE THIS ONE) Jeff Heurmann, TE; Ohio State

3rd, 5th-7th at a later time.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-07-2015, 11:09 PM

1st round: Danny Shelton, DT; Washington/Trae Waynes, CB; Michigan State/Marcus Peters, CB; Washington

They say that Peters may be the most talented CB in the draft, but huge character issues. Dismissed by the Huskies in November an issue with coaching staff, reportedly choking an assistant coach.

Then I read this on his teammate Shelton: “Shelton posted rare sack numbers this year as an interior rusher and is an outstanding athlete for a man his size,” the report from Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, Charles Davis and Lance Zierlein stated. “Scouts, however, are concerned with Shelton’s personality and work ethic. More than one scout has said the previous coaching staff at Washington had issues with Shelton’s surliness and selfishness.”

MeetJoeGreene
01-07-2015, 11:27 PM
This is unacceptable. I don't have this year's draft salutation formulated yet.

And Jesse James taylor from psu is coming out too.

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2015, 01:48 AM

that is unacceptable...:D

Shawn
01-08-2015, 08:22 AM
hey Shawn,

is Noah Spence worth taking a chance on?. Two failed drug tests and a suspension. I wouldn't touch that until the 5th and I believe someone will take a chance on him long before that. He is an tremendous athlete with speed, pass rush ability and the ability to cover. I still think with all if that he reminds me of a lesser version of Shazier. Needs better instincts, not really a heady player. He is best when you just turn him loose on a QB. I think most scouts will have him as a second round talent but I have him as a late third early 4th after this season. I was very high on him in the spring but didn't see the growth I wanted to see. Not to mention popping E isn't going to help his stock with me. I think the Steelers pass.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-08-2015, 10:27 AM
He does seem to be good which is probably why he will rise in the draft versus fall like Jarvis Jones did. Fowler seems to have that speed and burst we need to get.
NFL scouts can be dumb, as well... As a Louisville alumn, Teddy Bridgewater goes from "in the discussion for #1 overall" to 3rd or 4th QB taken due to postseason stuff... Turns out, he was the best (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000437784/article/rookie-qb-progress-report-teddy-bridgewater-derek-carr-solid)rookie QB this past season.

In any event, back on topic, nice Mock Shawn... a little early to see how all the postseason stuff plays out, but, i do the same thing...

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2015, 11:19 AM

This is such an excellent mock draft that MJG is speechless. ;)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Yep! Being a PSU guy...There haven't been many PSU guys over the years I wanted. James is one though. Just like BB replacement Christian Hackenberg in a couple years. ;)

Oviedo
01-08-2015, 12:00 PM
. Two failed drug tests and a suspension. I wouldn't touch that until the 5th and I believe someone will take a chance on him long before that. He is an tremendous athlete with speed, pass rush ability and the ability to cover. I still think with all if that he reminds me of a lesser version of Shazier. Needs better instincts, not really a heady player. He is best when you just turn him loose on a QB. I think most scouts will have him as a second round talent but I have him as a late third early 4th after this season. I was very high on him in the spring but didn't see the growth I wanted to see. Not to mention popping E isn't going to help his stock with me. I think the Steelers pass.
Don't think he had the suspensions or drug tests, but sorta sounds like a Bruce Irvin type player. Seattle took a chance on him in Round 1 so Shawn is right someone will grab this guy earlier than the Steelers would.

Oviedo
01-08-2015, 12:08 PM

I'd really like J James at TE as a choice. Good player and good character. Interesting to see how he tests.

papillon
01-08-2015, 12:21 PM

Well, if you hung out here more often you would have had your salutation written, reviewed and in use, you're just a slacker. :p

Pappy

steelsnis
01-08-2015, 12:43 PM
I'd really like J James at TE as a choice. Good player and good character. Interesting to see how he tests.

Ovi I know you LOVE receiver-type TE's but doesn't James drop an awful lot of balls? For someone who doesn't block a lick, it seems that you'd better have GREAT hands to compensate for that.

Not a PSU fan so I haven't watched a ton of James, anyone else have some insight?

Shawn
01-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Ovi I know you LOVE receiver-type TE's but doesn't James drop an awful lot of balls? For someone who doesn't block a lick, it seems that you'd better have GREAT hands to compensate for that.

Not a PSU fan so I haven't watched a ton of James, anyone else have some insight? Well if the Steelers FO listened to O, we would be stuck with Eric Ebron and his massive 25 catch season...or Eifert and his massive 3 catches this season. Fortunately for us fans they go after well rounded TEs who can actually block as well as catch.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2015, 02:15 PM

Jesse James was an outlaw in the 1800's who robbed banks and trains. More recently, Jesse James cheated on America's sweetheart Sandra Bullock. That doesn't sound like good character to me. ;)

Slapstick
01-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Well if the Steelers FO listened to O, we would be stuck with Eric Ebron and his massive 25 catch season...or Eifert and his massive 3 catches this season. Fortunately for us fans they go after well rounded TEs who can actually block as well as catch.

Oh no you didn't!

feltdizz
01-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Oh no you didn't!

Oh yes he did...LOL.

if we drafted Eifert you would hear "but he was injured his second year"

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2015, 03:29 PM
. Two failed drug tests and a suspension. I wouldn't touch that until the 5th and I believe someone will take a chance on him long before that. He is an tremendous athlete with speed, pass rush ability and the ability to cover. I still think with all if that he reminds me of a lesser version of Shazier. Needs better instincts, not really a heady player. He is best when you just turn him loose on a QB. I think most scouts will have him as a second round talent but I have him as a late third early 4th after this season. I was very high on him in the spring but didn't see the growth I wanted to see. Not to mention popping E isn't going to help his stock with me. I think the Steelers pass.

thanks Shawn, I thought perhaps if he fell into the middle rounds but he doesn't sound like the kind of guy the Steelers would be willing to take a chance on...

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Fowler didn't stand out to me when they just played my alma mater over the weekend...

By David Todd

Potential Steelers Draftees: Dante Fowler, Jr, DE Florida

I had Mike Huguenin of NFL.com on my show Tuesday (as I do every week at 5:00) and this week we kicked-off our weekly discussion about draft prospects. I opened thing up with my dream candidate for the Steelers #1 pick, Dante Fowler, Jr the 6’3”, 260 lbs DE from Florida:

Me: “The Steelers pick at 22, this (Dante Fowler) is the type of guy that they have moved into that rush outside linebacker position. Can he be that kind of guy and will he be around at 22?”

Mike Huguenin: “I don’t think he’ll be there, but if I’m a Steelers fan I’d be salivating about this guy. I live in Florida, I saw this kid play in high school, I’ve seen him play all three years at Florida. He is a freakish athlete for a guy with that kind of bulk. He loves football, he’s got a great motor. Pretty instinctual. Can play with his hand in the dirt. Can play outside linebacker. He’s dropped into coverage. They’ve moved him all around. He’s rushed as a middle linebacker at times this season. Very versatile player, very good football IQ, very good motor. If the Steelers got him, I think their fans should be ecstatic.”

He continued, talking about Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier: “I still am a little bit surprised that Jarvis Jones hasn’t splashed more and I was a huge Ryan Shazier fan, I don’t know what’s going on there either. But I think Fowler will be the third linebacker (taken) and I think he’s going to be a really good pro and would fit perfectly with the Steelers.”

As Mike mentions, he doesn’t expect Fowler to be there when the Steelers pick at 22. Todd McShay has him going #7 in his initial mock. WalterFootball.com has him going #8. Here is their scouting report. Mel Kiper has him currently ranked #4 of the defensive ends.

http://www.970espn.com/onair/david-t...#ixzz3OGFbS0kt

Oviedo
01-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Oh yes he did...LOL.

if we drafted Eifert you would hear "but he was injured his second year"
Yeah, why would we want Eifert or Ebron when we got two Linebackers who contributed so much themselves...oh wait they were hurt and didn't really do anything. Sounds like a wash to me and Ebron's 25 receptions this year seems to lead the pack in real on field contributions by light years.

Slapstick
01-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Well, since that's your standard for success, I'm sure that both Jones and Shazier will perform beyond your expectations next season...

Oviedo
01-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Well, since that's your standard for success, I'm sure that both Jones and Shazier will perform beyond your expectations next season...
Shazier I'm high on, the other guy not so much.

Slapstick
01-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Shazier I'm high on, the other guy not so much.

Really? We hadn't heard...

Shawn
01-08-2015, 04:55 PM
By David Todd

Potential Steelers Draftees: Dante Fowler, Jr, DE Florida

I had Mike Huguenin of NFL.com on my show Tuesday (as I do every week at 5:00) and this week we kicked-off our weekly discussion about draft prospects. I opened thing up with my dream candidate for the Steelers #1 pick, Dante Fowler, Jr the 6’3”, 260 lbs DE from Florida:

Me: “The Steelers pick at 22, this (Dante Fowler) is the type of guy that they have moved into that rush outside linebacker position. Can he be that kind of guy and will he be around at 22?”

Mike Huguenin: “I don’t think he’ll be there, but if I’m a Steelers fan I’d be salivating about this guy. I live in Florida, I saw this kid play in high school, I’ve seen him play all three years at Florida. He is a freakish athlete for a guy with that kind of bulk. He loves football, he’s got a great motor. Pretty instinctual. Can play with his hand in the dirt. Can play outside linebacker. He’s dropped into coverage. They’ve moved him all around. He’s rushed as a middle linebacker at times this season. Very versatile player, very good football IQ, very good motor. If the Steelers got him, I think their fans should be ecstatic.”

He continued, talking about Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier: “I still am a little bit surprised that Jarvis Jones hasn’t splashed more and I was a huge Ryan Shazier fan, I don’t know what’s going on there either. But I think Fowler will be the third linebacker (taken) and I think he’s going to be a really good pro and would fit perfectly with the Steelers.”

As Mike mentions, he doesn’t expect Fowler to be there when the Steelers pick at 22. Todd McShay has him going #7 in his initial mock. WalterFootball.com has him going #8. Here is their scouting report. Mel Kiper has him currently ranked #4 of the defensive ends.

http://www.970espn.com/onair/david-t...#ixzz3OGFbS0kt

Ugh...one can dream.

Shawn
01-08-2015, 05:00 PM
thanks Shawn, I thought perhaps if he fell into the middle rounds but he doesn't sound like the kind of guy the Steelers would be willing to take a chance on... Not a problem. Just doesn't sound like a Steeler kind of guy. Now all bets are off if he falls to the 5th. I could see the Steelers taking a chance on a talent like Spence with a late pick.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Ugh...one can dream.

Shane Ray and Randy Gregory should be long gone, but it's possible that Dante Fowler, Vic Beasley, or Alvin Dupree could fall to us.

Rara
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Who does he have the Steelers taking at #22?

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2015, 03:38 AM
Who does he have the Steelers taking at #22?

Malcom Brown to skip senior season

Updated: January 8, 2015,
By Max Olson | ESPN.com

Texas junior defensive tackle Malcom Brown announced Thursday he has elected to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

Brown earned consensus All-America honors after leading the Longhorns with 15 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. He informed Texas coach Charlie Strong of his decision on Wednesday.

"Malcom had an unbelievable season and was a lot of fun to coach," Strong said in a statement. "He's a tremendous football player and a great young man who has a really bright future ahead of him. I know the decision was a difficult one, but we had some really good talks. He has our support and we wish him the best as he prepares for the NFL."

Brown is the No. 4-rated defensive tackle prospect, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.

He is No. 24 in the Scouts Inc. rankings, and was projected to go No. 22 to Pittsburgh in ESPN's Todd McShay's first mock draft.

The decision to go pro was an expected one throughout Brown's breakout season. The 6-foot-2, 320-pound lineman is married with two children and hopes to be drafted in the first two rounds to support his family.

"Coach [Chris] Rumph talked to me right after the [AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl], and I talked to my wife about it," Brown said in a statement. "Then I went and saw Coach Strong yesterday, and we had a good talk about it. I decided to enter the 2015 draft, and that's what everyone thinks is best.

"It wasn't an easy decision because a lot went into it. My wife has school, I have school, and moving the kids around. I got everyone's input on it, but at the end of the day, it's my decision and that's what I came to."

The ESPN.com Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year started 26 games and recorded 165 tackles and 28.5 tackles for loss in three seasons at Texas.

"I'm always going to come back here," Brown said. "This is a great place with good people. I'm leaving good friends behind and created good bonds with people over the time I've been here. I'm always going to bleed orange, and I'm always going to support this program."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12138875/2015-nfl-draft-malcom-brown-texas-longhorns-skip-senior-season

Shawn
01-09-2015, 07:18 AM
I certainly wouldn't rule out a DE or a DT. I seen a D who improved over the course of the season mainly because the DL got better. The problem is they seemed to lose some energy towards the end of games. Having the ability for rotation along the DL is important and that rotation can't include Cam Thomas.

Oviedo
01-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Is a dominant NT really that important in our defense now? I've heard from other posters that we have gone from a zero gap to one gap. My understanding is that the latter needs more penetrating NT versus a block of concrete. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also think we saw last year with the Notre Dame kid how these Nose Tackle fall in the draft.

If we go defense I think priority is still attacking the QB with a pass rushing OLB. Better yet change to a 4-3 and really open up our options;)

phillyesq
01-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Malcolm Brown could be interesting. From what I've read, he is not a pure NT - he could have some flexibility between DT and DE. With the Steelers playing so much nickel, using a guy like Brown with Heyward / Tuitt could help the Steelers hold up against the run better out of that alignment. It would also give you a bit of an opportunity to show multiple fronts.

Oviedo
01-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Malcolm Brown could be interesting. From what I've read, he is not a pure NT - he could have some flexibility between DT and DE. With the Steelers playing so much nickel, using a guy like Brown with Heyward / Tuitt could help the Steelers hold up against the run better out of that alignment. It would also give you a bit of an opportunity to show multiple fronts.
Totally agree with the idea of getting a guy on the D Line who could play inside and outside. A two down NT IMO is a wasted player. Too much passing on early downs

papillon
01-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Totally agree with the idea of getting a guy on the D Line who could play inside and outside. A two down NT IMO is a wasted player. Too much passing on early downs

Actually, with the way McCullers is capable of walking a center back into the quarterback he could be a 3 down NT for the Steelers similar to Hampton. Once he begins to control that strength and not walk past a ball carrier in the run game and control his gaps he could be very good and stay on the field rather than come off in passing downs.

Pappy

Shawn
01-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Actually, with the way McCullers is capable of walking a center back into the quarterback he could be a 3 down NT for the Steelers similar to Hampton. Once he begins to control that strength and not walk past a ball carrier in the run game and control his gaps he could be very good and stay on the field rather than come off in passing downs.

Pappy
McCullers still struggles playing too high allowing a center to get under him and control him. But, when McCullers plays low...wow. He is impressive.

papillon
01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
McCullers still struggles playing too high allowing a center to get under him and control him. But, when McCullers plays low...wow. He is impressive.

I realize there's work to be done, all I'm getting at is that once his technique improves (which should be something that can be improved) that he very well could be a 3 down NT for the Steelers.

Pappy

K Train
01-09-2015, 01:21 PM
LT is a premium position in the league. even at his best I'm not sure beach can crack the top 10. when he's not playing well then he's in the bottom 3rd of LTs in the league. he (along with the rest of the OL) struggles with Big, physical DLs.

I think his best position could be guard (with his smarts, mobility) and filling in anywhere on the OL. If there is an LT there at 22, it may strengthen 2 positions on the OL.
Despite being the second "worse" run blocker on the team he seals the edge fantastically to let decastro be a wreching ball...Hes a frustrating player for us and for defenses though, the guy is a great athlete and plays with top notch technique.

The franchise LT is a dying thing, you need two decent tackles that have a well rounded game....besides, what has Joe Thomas won the browns? Even when we had Marvel Smith and Max Starks at LT, neither were setting the standards as a premium player at the position...good enough is good enough, especially with munchaks inside zones and traps the are requires to work as a unit rather than block just their man.

2nd round: Derron Smith, FS; Fresno State (LIKE THIS ONE...if we can get an Earl Thomas clone, that'd be great!)
4th round: (LIKE THIS ONE) Jeff Heurmann, TE; Ohio State

3rd, 5th-7th at a later time.
Love Peters and Waynes...Waynes should be long gone, but peters can go from round one to undrafted, that remains to be seen. Danny Shelton is disruptive, and if he can be ngata-like for us then sure, but man it would be tough to be ok with that pick at first glance

Shane Ray and Randy Gregory should be long gone, but it's possible that Dante Fowler, Vic Beasley, or Alvin Dupree could fall to us.
Beasley is the dream, but I love Dupree as well....not so sure about fowler at this point

Is a dominant NT really that important in our defense now? I've heard from other posters that we have gone from a zero gap to one gap. My understanding is that the latter needs more penetrating NT versus a block of concrete. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also think we saw last year with the Notre Dame kid how these Nose Tackle fall in the draft.

If we go defense I think priority is still attacking the QB with a pass rushing OLB. Better yet change to a 4-3 and really open up our options;)
No it isnt, plus mcclendon was awesome this year when he was healthy. Mccullers played great in the playoff game

I realize there's work to be done, all I'm getting at is that once his technique improves (which should be something that can be improved) that he very well could be a 3 down NT for the Steelers.

Pappy
I doubt hes ever going to be a 3 down player, but man he looked good sometimes this year...but he was very sporadic

Shawn
01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Pappy

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Rara
01-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I have never heard of Malcom Black now until I read about McShay having the Steelers drafting him. Is this guy any good? Doesn't seem like a 1st round pick at all. And why give up on McCullers already?