PDA

View Full Version : Early offseason break down

Shawn
01-05-2015, 11:20 AM
I refuse to sulk. The Steelers had a great run and they proved they are not the same team without a running game. Injuries happen…we lost when we were without 40% of our offense. So with that in mind…time to start breaking down offseason moves…and draft needs.

QB-IMO, Ben is a first ballot HoF QB but he isn't getting any younger. As good as he is, he seems to have lost some of that late game magic that made him special. He had a record setting year but proved he needs a running game to do what he does. More on that later. Landry Jones is not the future. He has all the tools except for the head. I am not advocating for a 1-2 round QB but the Steelers need to start yearly looks at QBs in a serious way. When I do my mocks and research, finding a QB gem in the rough will be a priority. It would be great to have a guy develop under Ben for 3-4 years.

RB-Bell is the greatest RB in the game. But, he isn't superman and injuries happen. Taking some of the load off of Bell should be a priority for the Steelers. We see what happens when you have to start a Ben Tate. I truly believe the Steelers could draft a RB as high as in the second round. The draft is thick with late first, second round RB talent. I know this will get boo'd by nearly everyone except the FO. Trust me, they are going to look for their 1/2 punch to prolong Bell's career and as an insurance policy against injury.

WR- Some might believe we are set at WR. I would disagree. I know I gave Bryant a hard time, but the guy is for real. You can see his growth. He is going to be a great one. But, Wheaton…not so much. He is an average slot at best. We could use a real upgrade in the slot…a chain mover. I would love to see the Steelers find one of those scrappy, nasty over the middle guys with some quick twitch to play the slot. We don't need a home run hitter. Bryant and Brown will keep a D honest. But, Ben needs that safe guy that can catch tough balls…who can find soft spots in zones. I say this because Heath was that guy…but honestly isn't anymore. Ben needs a safety net in the form of either a TE or a slot. While I don't see the Steelers drafting a WR before the 3rd…I wouldn't be shocked in the slighted in the 3-7 range.

TE-This is a bad year to need a TE. Some might boo me or site Heaths stats this year but he isn't the same player….not even close. He is hearing footsteps, dropping balls he never dropped. His blocking is less than it was in his prime. He is getting too old for the game. We may be able to squeak one more decent year out of him. Unfortunately, TE's in this draft are not very good. Either their blocker or receivers. Have only seen one who is both…Heuerman from tOSU. And while Heuerman doesn't excel in any one particular area, he has tools and much potential. He can block but needs a good coach to work on some of his fundamentals. He has solid hands, knowledge for the game and his a good citizen. He has enough speed and size to create mismatches. He runs good routes. I suspect he will be the TE the Steelers will target.

OL-Beachum might be the most underrated LT in the league. Foster one of most underrated OGs in the league. We are good with Pouncey and DeCastro. Gilbert could be upgraded. If a crazy OT talent falls in the first or second, I wouldn't totally rule it out.

DL-Some might argue that we are "set" at DL. Some might say we need a "traditional NT". I would say both are nonsense. We now play a one gap 3-4, so traditional NT is out. But, when the DL gets winded (and they do) you need a rotation. Personally, I don't want to see Cam Thomas in a Steeler uniform ever again. He is still getting PT. DE/DT will be a priority for the Steelers to create depth in the rotation. I don't think the Steelers go with DL high (1-2) in this draft but it wouldn't shock me. If a guy like Michael Bennett-tOSU falls to the Steelers in the first they will take a hard look at him much to the chagrin of Steeler fans. He would thrive in our system as he is a true penetrating, pocket collapsing DE.

LBr-We are set in the middle. I do not see the Steelers drafting another ILB early. But, the Steelers are always in the market for OLBs. Never rule it out. This one depends highly on the Steelers desire and ability to sign Worilds.

CB-Do I really need to say anything here? I mean the Steelers need one and possibly two CBs in this draft. The problem is that I don't see much first round talent that is "special". I do see some guys in rounds 2-4 that could be solid NFL CBs.

Safety-My goodness do we need an upgrade here. The Steelers know by now if "The Shark" is the future at SS. If not, they will be looking early and often. Mitchell is one of the worst FS in the league…they will look there as well. Both DB and safety could be rounds 1,2 and 3 and no one would fault the Steelers.

Overall, I believe the first rounder will be a surprise…a guy will fall that the Steelers covet and it might not be in a position of need. I don't see any Champ Baileys or Troy P's in this draft. I don't believe the Steelers will reach for secondary. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if the Steelers draft a OLB who falls in the first. I would put a 90% certainty on the Steelers drafting D in the first round unless a crazy OT falls in this draft.

B&GinNC
01-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Defensive talent in the 3 - 4 has become harder to come by in recent years as more teams are playing the system. Guys who used to be available later in the draft (Aaron Smith as a 4, Brett Keisel as a 7, J Peezy a 3, Clark Haggans a 5) are long gone now because half the league is scouting them instead of a handful of teams. Makes drafting D high a necessity if we're going to improve. I think it became obvious in the Baltimore game that the front 7 we have just isn't going to be adequate if the defense is going to get back where we want it to be. We watched what happens when a good front 7 takes over a game. Unfortunately, it wasn't ours.

One guy I see as a potential 3rd day pickup who could really help with one of your stated needs here is Karlos Williams from Florida State. Several things recommend. He's a big, fast back like Bell at 6 foot, 230. He comes out of a system in which he's asked to pass block and catch passes in the screen game. And he'll drop due to "character concerns" regarding some domestic issues this year, but has a ready made support system in place in Pittsburgh with his brother already here playing ILB. Plus, he's got significant experience as a kick returner and could be a valuable ST'er as a former safety. LOVE it if we could get him in the 5th round or so.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 12:26 PM
I agree BnG as you will see in my mock I am about to post. To find a true playmaker on D we will need to look early. Great catch on Karlos Williams. I will check him out. I was certainly looking for that later round back.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Agree with most of what you say here... but, to throw a curveball at ya - Do you think there's any chance Shaz goes to OLB as some have suggested?

Between Harrison's age (will he be back?), Worilds possible departure (no contract) and Jarvis still -- eehh, has his moments -- the status of the OLB position could change drastically rather quickly.

I think we're all expecting a high end DB, but, I wouldn't be completely shocked if an either ILB or OLB was the pick if the plan was to move Shaz. Easier to find a solid ILB in middle rounds.

Totally agree that 90% going defense - Amari Cooper would change my mind; as would an elite OT...

GOD NO, on Gerod Holliman... Rather have Kurtis Drummond (MSU) or Anthony Harris (Syr) in the 3rd.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Agree with most of what you say here... but, to throw a curveball at ya - Do you think there's any chance Shaz goes to OLB as some have suggested?

Between Harrison's age (will he be back?), Worilds possible departure (no contract) and Jarvis still -- eehh, has his moments -- the status of the OLB position could change drastically rather quickly.

I think we're all expecting a high end DB, but, I wouldn't be completely shocked if an either ILB or OLB was the pick if the plan was to move Shaz. Easier to find a solid ILB in middle rounds.

Totally agree that 90% going defense - Amari Cooper would change my mind; as would an elite OT...

GOD NO, on Gerod Holliman... Rather have Kurtis Drummond (MSU) or Anthony Harris (Syr) in the 3rd.

Not a curve ball at all. I have been saying Shazier is better suited for OLB. He could looking at a move next season. If not, I believe the Steelers grab an OLB in the first. No value at DB or safety in the first. Unless an elite OT drops no first round offense. That means it's DE/DT/or OLB. If they do feel they can move Shazier outside I still don't see a great need at ILB. Williams and Spence both played really well. Timmons made the Pro Bowl.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Not a curve ball at all. I have been saying Shazier is better suited for OLB. He could looking at a move next season. If not, I believe the Steelers grab an OLB in the first. No value at DB or safety in the first. Unless an elite OT drops no first round offense. That means it's DE/DT/or OLB. If they do feel they can move Shazier outside I still don't see a great need at ILB. Williams and Spence both played really well. Timmons made the Pro Bowl.
agree on spence and vince playing well... time to extend one if not both, on the cheap. as for DB, there are a couple of CB's i like. Not a fan of FSU's guys, but, like Trae Waynes and Kevin Johnson. Would also take a gamble on Marcus Peters on day 2

pfelix73
01-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Here's one of my predictions in the off season. A FA signing in Brandon Graham out of Philly. I think the Steelers were looking at this guy out of college anyway, and now that he's potentially gonna be a FA, he'll replace Worilds at OLB.

Draft safety or CB round 1.

B&GinNC
01-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Watched FSU's CB's all year, and I'm not a fan either. Beaten way too often for allegedly elite corners. Granted, the D only had 11 sacks all year, but how would this be any different from playing on the Steelers as presently constituted? The only real difference on of those guys would bring is 6', 200# size at the position, making them better tacklers in the run/bubble screen game, but that's not enough to create real value in a first round pick. I have to believe a day 2 pick gets used on a DB, but nothing day 1 based on the fact that anybody who watched the Eagles' season unfold knows that there's not a snowball's chance in .... that Waynes gets past them at 20.

Slapstick
01-05-2015, 03:36 PM
What exactly is wrong with Wheaton? After being injured his rookie season, he comes out with 50+ catches and 600+ yards...this is an offense where, after Brown, the ball is spread around quite a bit...

Shawn
01-05-2015, 04:37 PM
What exactly is wrong with Wheaton? After being injured his rookie season, he comes out with 50+ catches and 600+ yards...this is an offense where, after Brown, the ball is spread around quite a bit... Wheaton scares no one. I'm not saying the guy is terrible just not an impact player either from the outside or the slot. He had 2 TD catches on the year. Bryant needs to start on the outside. The slot should be a competition between Wheaton and a rookie.

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Wheaton scares no one. I'm not saying the guy is terrible just not an impact player either from the outside or the slot. He had 2 TD catches on the year. Bryant needs to start on the outside. The slot should be a competition between Wheaton and a rookie.

Sorry Shawn, but it would be dumb as dirt to cut ties with Wheaton. The guy is solid 2/3 receiver. He gets open and gets yards after the catch. No way would I give up a "bird in hand for two in the bush" and risk getting less at WR. Let's also not anoint Bryant as the next Stallworth quite yet. He is young and he could get an attitude and regress. Let's not even talk about injuries and the effects like we saw with Bell. With Brown, Wheaton and Bryant I think we have as good a group of 3 WRs as there is. I want to keep them all.

Slapstick
01-05-2015, 04:52 PM
In AB's second year, he had two TDs. While I can understand your PoV, unless the WR is crazy deep again this year, I don't know if we'll find a 3rd day pick that could unseat him. It's possible that the Steelers could use a premium draft pick on a WR, I just don't think it's likely.

feltdizz
01-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Sorry Shawn, but it would be dumb as dirt to cut ties with Wheaton. The guy is solid 2/3 receiver. He gets open and gets yards after the catch. No way would I give up a "bird in hand for two in the bush" and risk getting less at WR. Let's also not anoint Bryant as the next Stallworth quite yet. He is young and he could get an attitude and regress. Let's not even talk about injuries and the effects like we saw with Bell. With Brown, Wheaton and Bryant I think we have as good a group of 3 WRs as there is. I want to keep them all.

There is no reason to get rid of Wheaton or worry about his production in this offense... we have for more pressing needs like TE and DB'S.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Sorry Shawn, but it would be dumb as dirt to cut ties with Wheaton. The guy is solid 2/3 receiver. He gets open and gets yards after the catch. No way would I give up a "bird in hand for two in the bush" and risk getting less at WR. Let's also not anoint Bryant as the next Stallworth quite yet. He is young and he could get an attitude and regress. Let's not even talk about injuries and the effects like we saw with Bell. With Brown, Wheaton and Bryant I think we have as good a group of 3 WRs as there is. I want to keep them all. Why do people read things that are not there? I didn't say anything about cutting ties with Wheaton. I said bring in some competition for the slot.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 05:03 PM
In AB's second year, he had two TDs. While I can understand your PoV, unless the WR is crazy deep again this year, I don't know if we'll find a 3rd day pick that could unseat him. It's possible that the Steelers could use a premium draft pick on a WR, I just don't think it's likely. The Steelers will go after a WR/KR…would bet on it. Bryant is our #2, Wheaton will have competition for the slot. May the best man win.

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Why do people read things that are not there? I didn't say anything about cutting ties with Wheaton. I said bring in some competition for the slot.

Need to bring in competition for the #2 TE more than we do for the #3 or #4 WR. I'm really concerned with how slow and increasingly inconsistent Heath Miller looked this season.

I remember hearing that the team was high on Branchflower, hopefully he can be more than Spaeth.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Need to bring in competition for the #2 TE more than we do for the #3 or #4 WR. I'm really concerned with how slow and increasingly inconsistent Heath Miller looked this season.

I remember hearing that the team was high on Branchflower, hopefully he can be more than Spaeth.

Agree completely. Feels like Shawn is underselling wheaton here. He is a pretty damn good player who is still emerging. Someone may eventually sign him away from us as a #2. I'm certainly happy with his trajectory so far

TE is a bigger need than most think, IMO. I believe heath is very close to being done and may be already

Oviedo
01-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Agree completely. Feels like Shawn is underselling wheaton here. He is a pretty damn good player who is still emerging. Someone may eventually sign him away from us as a #2. I'm certainly happy with his trajectory so far

TE is a bigger need than most think, IMO. I believe heath is very close to being done and may be already
$$$$$$ Unfortunately the previous two drafts had very good TEs to develop and we passed. This one is weak.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I would still not have selected either of those guys in the 1st like you wanted. Neither were skilled enough to go that high, IMO.

Where did Travis kelce go? 4th? That's the kid of guy we need to find

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:05 PM

I remember hearing that the team was high on Branchflower, hopefully he can be more than Spaeth. As you can see in my mock you can do both. I assume the Steelers will as well.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:08 PM

TE is a bigger need than most think, IMO. I believe heath is very close to being done and may be already He will have to show me something more for me to sign up on the Wheaton bandwagon. Underselling? Maybe…but I would love to see a consistent chain mover not named Brown on this squad.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-05-2015, 06:13 PM
He will have to show me something more for me to sign up on the Wheaton bandwagon. Underselling? Maybe…but I would love to see a consistent chain mover not named Brown on this squad.

I've seen some of that already. I believe he has well above average hands and runs good routes, exactly what you want in this offense. As a 3rd rounder, he is playing well, IMO.

Also showed some toughness the other night. He took a major league shot and was able to get up. That impressed me

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:17 PM
I've seen some of that already. I believe he has well above average hands and runs good routes, exactly what you want in this offense. As a 3rd rounder, he is playing well, IMO.

Also showed some toughness the other night. He took a major league shot and was able to get up. That impressed me I suppose I'm looking for the next Welker.

SteelerMaine83
01-05-2015, 06:49 PM
I suppose I'm looking for the next Welker.

The next Welker is a small, slow 40 (but with quicks) guy with good hands, good route running ability and no fear. Those guys are 6-UDFA guys. Put Antonio Brown in the Combine this year and he'll end up being a 3rd rounder or lower. Small and not 4.4 doesn't sell. Welker (and Brown) . are football players. Competition is good everyone who's up for it. Someone to compete with Wheaton only makes us better, but I like Wheaton okay.

Shawn
01-05-2015, 06:52 PM
The next Welker is a small, slow 40 (but with quicks) guy with good hands, good route running ability and no fear. Those guys are 6-UDFA guys. Put Antonio Brown in the Combine this year and he'll end up being a 3rd rounder or lower. Small and not 4.4 doesn't sell. Welker (and Brown) . are football players. Competition is good everyone who's up for it. Someone to compete with Wheaton only makes us better, but I like Wheaton okay. I agree with this…the guy last year who I felt had this potential was Abbrederis. Of course his knee injury in camp put a nix to that. It's a tough, hard nosed, fast twitch guy who runs sharp routes and has a good head. If that guy exists in this draft…I want him. And let him and Wheaton fight it out in camp.

feltdizz
01-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Also showed some toughness the other night. He took a major league shot and was able to get up. That impressed me

Nothing wrong with Wheatons game. We barely have enough footballs to go around as it is...

Archer and Wheaton will continue to get touches whether people like it or not.

flippy
01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
We have so many needs, I really think we just have to go BPA and take the guys that will make the team better regardless of position.

If there is a stud CB, NT, OLB, T, TE, S when we pick, I think we take him. I lean toward going heavy on D. It'll be interesting to see what we do in FA first. There's a lot of holes to fill.

fezziwig
01-05-2015, 08:13 PM
They showed the three B's during the game. Ben, Brown and Bell with all the yards they have amassed. My first thought was, " but the offense settles for field goals. "

Iron City Inc.
01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Penn State TE Jesse James has declared. He is legit 6 6 255 and recorded 38 396 3 this year. Only a junior who wont turn 21 until June. Better receiver then blocker. Decent speed and I can't wait to see him test prior to the draft. Seen him play a few times and not sure how high he will be rated but he is a day 3 prospect in my opinion perhaps a 5th rounder if I had put a number on it. Not sure where Kiper and company will have him but as a day three flyer if we miss out on the OSU te he has some skills to work with.
Day three sleeper with some upside.

feltdizz
01-05-2015, 09:24 PM
They showed the three B's during the game. Ben, Brown and Bell with all the yards they have amassed. My first thought was, " but the offense settles for field goals. "

The last game without Bell?

papillon
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Nothing wrong with Wheatons game. We barely have enough footballs to go around as it is...

Archer and Wheaton will continue to get touches whether people like it or not.

I'm with you Felt.

What the hell didn't Wheaton do this year? People have to be kidding, he's the #3 with 53 receptions and 644 yards, 2 TDs, no fumbles and by all accounts a good teammate. What the hell more do you expect from a #3 receiver? Ben liked him as well. Geesus people, get a grip.

You can't have a 129 reception, 1700 yard and 10 TD receiver at all of your WR positions.

Pappy

NorthCoast
01-05-2015, 10:38 PM
A Coby Fleener type TE would look real good next to Miller.

Sugar
01-05-2015, 11:09 PM
A Coby Fleener type TE would look real good next to Miller.

Everyone is saying how bad the draft class is for them, but will their be any good TE's in FA?

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm with you Felt.

What the hell didn't Wheaton do this year? People have to be kidding, he's the #3 with 53 receptions and 644 yards, 2 TDs, no fumbles and by all accounts a good teammate. What the hell more do you expect from a #3 receiver? Ben liked him as well. Geesus people, get a grip.

You can't have a 129 reception, 1700 yard and 10 TD receiver at all of your WR positions.

Pappy

Only thing this offense needs is a legit #2 RB and a TE to groom behind Miller.

Shawn
01-06-2015, 08:08 AM
They will draft a WR/KR.

Shawn
01-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Something to keep in mind for those who believe Wheaton had a good year. He is 71st in the league in receiving. He played the entire season as the #2 WR…not the #3. Guys like John Brown, Andre Holmes, and the rookie Jarvis Landry had better seasons. To me that feels a bit light for a #2. He will likely have less next season when he gets rightfully demoted. Personally, I would love to have a Jarvis Landry in the slot.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Steelers leading receivers:

Brown - 129 catches, 1698 yards, 13 TDs
Bell - 83 catches, 854 yards, 3 TDs
Miller - 66 catches, 761 yards, 3 TDs
Wheaton - 53 catches, 644 yards, 2 TDs
Bryant - 26 catches, 549 yards, 8 TDs

Anybody on that list would have been fortunate to put up numbers equal to Wheaton in this particular offense. The Steelers may draft a WR. Considering how often they've drafted at least one over the past few years, it would hardly be surprising. But, it won't be because they are unhappy with Wheaton.

Oviedo
01-06-2015, 09:32 AM
He will have to show me something more for me to sign up on the Wheaton bandwagon. Underselling? Maybe…but I would love to see a consistent chain mover not named Brown on this squad.

I really can't understand you fixating on Wheaton who had over 50 catches in 2014. I think you need to reserve your skepticism and add some for someone like Jarvis Jones who has shown very little. Wheaton, as a 3rd round pick, had an excellent second season at WR. Wheaton is the least of our young players we should be worried about.

Oviedo
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Something to keep in mind for those who believe Wheaton had a good year. He is 71st in the league in receiving. He played the entire season as the #2 WR…not the #3. Guys like John Brown, Andre Holmes, and the rookie Jarvis Landry had better seasons. To me that feels a bit light for a #2. He will likely have less next season when he gets rightfully demoted. Personally, I would love to have a Jarvis Landry in the slot.
Shawn-I think you are being very superficial. None of those other WR you mentioned played with the leading receiver in the NFL...did they? I also disagree that Wheaton was the #2 receiver. IMO the offense shifted and that was Bell and to a lesser extent Miller. Did Brown, Holmes or Landry has a RB with 80+ catches on their team?

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 09:36 AM
I really can't understand you fixating on Wheaton who had 60 catches in 2014. I think you need to reserve your skepticism and add some for someone like Jarvis Jones who has shown very little. Wheaton, as a 3rd round pick, had an excellent second season at WR. Wheaton is the least of our young players we should be worried about.

How was Wheaton's first season? Oh, right...he was injured.

Funny how that can affect a player's performance...

Oviedo
01-06-2015, 09:41 AM
How was Wheaton's first season? Oh, right...he was injured.

Funny how that can affect a player's performance...

First season...not the first two going into yet another off season with the same issues and needing the same improvements. Big difference.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 12:25 PM
First season...not the first two going into yet another off season with the same issues and needing the same improvements. Big difference.

Not really. When you are showing improvement and then are injured, it's no different at all.

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 12:31 PM
I really can't understand you fixating on Wheaton who had over 50 catches in 2014. I think you need to reserve your skepticism and add some for someone like Jarvis Jones who has shown very little. Wheaton, as a 3rd round pick, had an excellent second season at WR. Wheaton is the least of our young players we should be worried about.

LOL... cmon Crash.

feltdizz
01-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Steelers leading receivers:

Brown - 129 catches, 1698 yards, 13 TDs
Bell - 83 catches, 854 yards, 3 TDs
Miller - 66 catches, 761 yards, 3 TDs
Wheaton - 53 catches, 644 yards, 2 TDs
Bryant - 26 catches, 549 yards, 8 TDs

Anybody on that list would have been fortunate to put up numbers equal to Wheaton in this particular offense. The Steelers may draft a WR. Considering how often they've drafted at least one over the past few years, it would hardly be surprising. But, it won't be because they are unhappy with Wheaton.

$$$$$ post

papillon
01-06-2015, 12:41 PM

Hard to disagree with this about Jones and Wheaton, while I still think Jones is going to be a very good LB for the Steelers, based on performance and improvement I am certainly more skeptical of Jones than Wheaton. this was basically Wheaton's rookie season, everyone seems to forget that missing entire years when you are a young player makes catching up difficult because you have no experience to lean on. It's the only reason I still have hope for Jones. He was showing improvement and then the wrist injury and regardless of the fact that he actually came back and played he in all likelihood didn't trust the wrist to hold up.

Next year will be huge for him and hopefully he steps up and becomes the player the Steelers hoped he would be, a 7-9 sack season would be good and improved play in the run game.

Wheaton by all accounts appears to be ready to be a very good #3, Bryant will be the #2 next year and a dangerous one. I expect AB's number to drop due to Bryant.

Pappy

Shawn
01-06-2015, 01:10 PM
I really can't understand you fixating on Wheaton who had over 50 catches in 2014. I think you need to reserve your skepticism and add some for someone like Jarvis Jones who has shown very little. Wheaton, as a 3rd round pick, had an excellent second season at WR. Wheaton is the least of our young players we should be worried about. I know you wouldn't know anything about "fixation" on a particular person or system. Honestly, wasn't that concerned about him until I seen all the love for a guy who is the #2 WR and was 4th on our team in receiving yards and 71st in the league. Next season he will be uprooted from #2 by Bryant and forced into the slot. Do I think he is a terrible WR? No...but Sanders got no love here and is much better than Wheaton. Bringing in competition for him isn't a bad thing. And rest assured the Steelers will agree.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
I know you wouldn't know anything about "fixation" on a particular person or system. Honestly, wasn't that concerned about him until I seen all the love for a guy who is the #2 WR and was 4th on our team in receiving yards and 71st in the league. Next season he will be uprooted from #2 by Bryant and forced into the slot. Do I think he is a terrible WR? No...but Sanders got no love here and is much better than Wheaton. Bringing in competition for him isn't a bad thing. And rest assured the Steelers will agree.

Sanders second year here, he had 22 catches...

Shawn
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Sanders second year here, he had 22 catches... Was Sanders getting #2 playing time? He played in 13 games and was only targeted 43 times and still got as many TDs as Wheaton. Wheaton was targeted double the amount of times 86...2 TDs. A second year Sanders wasn't going to start over Ward or Wallace. His third year looks like Wheaton's second and his 4th was better. There was no one coming to the defense of Sanders, even though him and Wheaton are very similar players with similar production.

So, it's your stance that in his third year he will continue to grow? Yeah, don't see that happening. He will get less PT, less looks because he hasn't proven to be a great #2. He will be an average slot. I suppose some friendly competition for that slot is too much to ask.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 05:10 PM
22 catches vs 53 isn't similar production. Lance Moore couldn't beat out Wheaton. Why would a rookie 3rd day pick do so? I think it would be great if Bryant became the legit #2 and Wheaton played the slot....With AB as #1, I'd take that every game.

Oviedo
01-06-2015, 05:31 PM
22 catches vs 53 isn't similar production. Lance Moore couldn't beat out Wheaton. Why would a rookie 3rd day pick do so? I think it would be great if Bryant became the legit #2 and Wheaton played the slot....With AB as #1, I'd take that every game.
$$$$$$$$$ I agree. Also, let's wait and see if Bryant is really the #2. I don't doubt he has the talent, but will he keep his head on straight and do the off season work he needs to?

Shawn
01-06-2015, 05:37 PM
22 catches vs 53 isn't similar production. Lance Moore couldn't beat out Wheaton. Why would a rookie 3rd day pick do so? I think it would be great if Bryant became the legit #2 and Wheaton played the slot....With AB as #1, I'd take that every game. That is the frustrating part of talking with you here...so thick headed. Did you read my post? Less targets, he was a number 3...apples and oranges. Even you can understand these kinds of things. Listen I'm done here...I've made my points. I have lost too much time going round and round with you in the past. Think what you wish.

Shawn
01-06-2015, 05:38 PM
$$$$$$$$$ I agree. Also, let's wait and see if Bryant is really the #2. I don't doubt he has the talent, but will he keep his head on straight and do the off season work he needs to? He will be the #2, the guy grew every week. He is going to be a star in this league.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 06:45 PM
That is the frustrating part of talking with you here...so thick headed. Did you read my post? Less targets, he was a number 3...apples and oranges. Even you can understand these kinds of things. Listen I'm done here...I've made my points. I have lost too much time going round and round with you in the past. Think what you wish.

It isn't difficult to understand. Compare the list I wrote for the 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers leading WRs to the one for 2011:

Wallace - 72 catches, 1193 yards, 8 TDs
Brown - 69 catches, 1108 yards, 2 TDs
Miller - 51 catches, 631 yards, 2 TDs
Ward - 46 catches, 381 yards, 2 TDs
Sanders - 22 catches, 288 yards, 2 TDs

The point is this: Of course Wheaton was targeted more than Sanders was in his second year. Wheaton is farther ahead in his learning curve than Sanders was at this point. He's earned more targets and therefore produced more sooner. I'm trying to figure out how that is bad. And you call me thick headed? LOL

Shawn
01-06-2015, 06:53 PM
lol you are kidding right? Who did Wheaton have to compete with? Sanders was going against Wallace. Now that Bryant is picking up the playbook, Wheaton will lose his #2 job.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 06:57 PM
That's not accurate at all. Sanders lack of production in year two was mostly because of injuries.

Remember, the players were locked out, he didn't get the constant off season work with the re-hab staff after his injury in the Super Bowl.

You have to do more than read stat sheets, Sport.

Crash, did you miss the fact that Wheaton was also injured last year?

Try harder, sport. See you when you create your next alias...

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 06:59 PM
lol you are kidding right? Who did Wheaton have to compete with? Sanders was going against Wallace. Now that Bryant is picking up the playbook, Wheaton will lose his #2 job.

Sanders was competing with Brown, not Wallace. 2011 was Ward's last season. His effectiveness decreased as the season progressed, for several reasons, and Brown was able to step up.

Who was Wheaton competing with? Lance Moore, perhaps?

Shawn
01-06-2015, 07:00 PM
That's not accurate at all. Sanders lack of production in year two was mostly because of injuries.

Remember, the players were locked out, he didn't get the constant off season work with the re-hab staff after his injury in the Super Bowl.

You have to do more than read stat sheets, Sport. Not to mention he was #3 behind a very good Wallace. Who did Wheaton have to compete with? A rookie who didn't know the playbook? Honestly, it hurts me to read some of the nonsense that a few come up with here.

Shawn
01-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Sanders was competing with Brown, not Wallace. 2011 was Ward's last season. His effectiveness decreased as the season progressed, for several reasons, and Brown was able to step up.

Who was Wheaton competing with? Lance Moore, perhaps? An over the hill Lance Moore who rarely sniffed the field? LOL. Oh sorry, he was competing with another 1000 yard receiver with elite skills. You are not helping yourself here.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Brown became a 1000 yard receiver with elite skills in 2011. Before that, he was a second year player just like Sanders was, only with fewer catches. In 2010, Brown played in 9 games. It took Sanders until year six to reach 1000+ yards in a season. I think Wheaton will be fine in year 3.

Slapstick
01-06-2015, 07:18 PM
2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

How many years is that?

So you are blaming Sanders for Todd Haley's infatuation with two TE sets?

I just told you stop reading stat sheets, didn't I?

Right after you do, Captain "Games Under 20 Points."