PDA

View Full Version : Ndamukong Suh

Starlifter
01-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Free agent. Impact player. Would be an immediate pass rush upgrade.

Just sayin.

But of course we all know the steelers don't work that way. They will draft another linebacker to groom over the next 3 seasons.

Shoe
01-04-2015, 06:35 PM
No matter how people bad-mouth the guy (which IMO is ridiculous, when they celebrate the same behavior in former greats like Butkus or Mean Joe)... there are 31 other teams who would LOVE to have the guy. As you said, the Steelers don't like to compete for guys in that way. They like to pick through the trash and get under-the-radar guys.

That being said, how awesome would it be to install this guy at any position along the line (DL could pick/choose where to align the guy, like Philly used to do with Reggie White).

Starlifter
01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Like I said. Immediate upgrade. And a pass rush would really really really help us mask a below average secondary.

But why why do I torment myself with these fantasies?

Jooser
01-04-2015, 06:46 PM
I'd love to see us get someone who could abuse Flacco as bad as the Rats abuse Ben. I say bring him on...

Shoe
01-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Much as we would like it, we are pretty set on the line going into next year, as far as our starters. Cam is entrenched. McLendon, for all the grief he gets, is better than average. Behind him, I think they have hopes that Mt. McCullers can fill his role (caving in pockets in short-yardage). The wild-card being Tuitt. If Tuitt emerges as a true starter on our line, the future will be bright. We will fill in depth positions with a guy like Cam Thomas (not him; just a similar-level guy) or a mid-round draft choice (like Aaron Smith, Keisel were).

7 UP
01-04-2015, 08:31 PM
If the Steelers were to bring in Suh, that move may single handedly put us in the Super Bowl next season.

NorthCoast
01-04-2015, 08:40 PM
hahaahaa.. and you thought JH was being targeted for penalties, wait 'til a guy like Suh joins the Steelers...

Slapstick
01-04-2015, 08:48 PM
What difference would it make penalty wise?

I do think stepping on Rodgers' leg is above and beyond hard-nosed football.

Oviedo
01-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Free agent. Impact player. Would be an immediate pass rush upgrade.

Just sayin.

But of course we all know the steelers don't work that way. They will draft another linebacker to groom over the next 3 seasons.

Not sure he wants to "occupy blockers" for LeBeau's broken defense. Now as part of our new 4-3 you're on to something.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Probably going to take an insane amount of money to sign Suh. Can't see the Steelers pulling the trigger on that one.

Rara
01-04-2015, 09:39 PM
It's a pipe dream...but would be an upgrade and would welcome Suh to the Burgh.

phillyesq
01-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I'd love to see the Steelers get a guy with his talent, but you are probably looking at something along the lines of $15-$20 million per season. I'm not sure how you fit that under the cap with an extension for Ben.

flippy
01-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I'd gladly take a player of this calibre if we could afford it. But there's no way it could happen. We desperately need a player this dominant on our D. We haven't found one since Harrison or Troy.

The only guy that has this elite upside is Shazier or Tuitt, but I doubt either's that kind of difference maker.

papillon
01-04-2015, 11:32 PM
The cap prohibits two players making 100 million or close to it on one team. Do you think the NFL has to worry about the Texans? The NFL is a quarterback driven league and the Texans tied their 100 million up in a defensive player (albeit the best one), they aren't a threat unless they get lucky in the draft and get a Wilson or Kaepernick on a rookie contract.

Seattle is going to have to pay Wilson, their defense will suffer, they won't be able to keep all the players under the cap once that happens.

Ther are real financial considerations that have to be taken into account when signing any dominating player. Is this the guy I want to chew up 1/6 of our cap space? IMO, if it isn't a quarterback, it isn't worth the investment. No matter how great Watt is he can't control a game form the DE position the way a quarterback can control the game. The Texans will remain mediocre unless they hit the lotto in the draft.

Pappy

flippy
01-05-2015, 12:16 AM
The cap prohibits two players making 100 million or close to it on one team. Do you think the NFL has to worry about the Texans? The NFL is a quarterback driven league and the Texans tied their 100 million up in a defensive player (albeit the best one), they aren't a threat unless they get lucky in the draft and get a Wilson or Kaepernick on a rookie contract.

Seattle is going to have to pay Wilson, their defense will suffer, they won't be able to keep all the players under the cap once that happens.

Ther are real financial considerations that have to be taken into account when signing any dominating player. Is this the guy I want to chew up 1/6 of our cap space? IMO, if it isn't a quarterback, it isn't worth the investment. No matter how great Watt is he can't control a game form the DE position the way a quarterback can control the game. The Texans will remain mediocre unless they hit the lotto in the draft.

Pappy

Even if you have your salary tied up in your QB, every team needs to hit in the draft to be really successful to fill in the gaps. If you don't have a QB it makes it even harder, but if you are a team like the Texans, you have to spend the money with the best possible players you can get and bide your time until you can fill the other positions.

The cap makes the NFL hard for every team. I do wish it was set up so that teams could get a discount against the cap somehow that allowed them to pay more for their existing players. That way if you draft really well, you get rewarded and are more easily able to retain your own players and wouldn't be forced to cast off some of your great players due to cap concerns or are forced to make the hard decision of getting rid of guys before their decline in production relative to their cap number. The one thing I miss of the old days is guys sticking with the same team that drafts them for the majority of their career. I think the game would be better with more continuity on rosters. It might hurt parity across the league but I also think it could be more enjoyable for fans not having to lose their favorite players so often.

NorthCoast
01-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Even if you have your salary tied up in your QB, every team needs to hit in the draft to be really successful to fill in the gaps. If you don't have a QB it makes it even harder, but if you are a team like the Texans, you have to spend the money with the best possible players you can get and bide your time until you can fill the other positions.

The cap makes the NFL hard for every team. I do wish it was set up so that teams could get a discount against the cap somehow that allowed them to pay more for their existing players. That way if you draft really well, you get rewarded and are more easily able to retain your own players and wouldn't be forced to cast off some of your great players due to cap concerns or are forced to make the hard decision of getting rid of guys before their decline in production relative to their cap number. The one thing I miss of the old days is guys sticking with the same team that drafts them for the majority of their career. I think the game would be better with more continuity on rosters. It might hurt parity across the league but I also think it could be more enjoyable for fans not having to lose their favorite players so often.

Not if you are NE. What is this we are hearing about Brady's recent cap friendly restructure to allow them to stay under the cap? Something about the team giving him a multimillion dollar contract for "team services" after he retires from playing. This effectively allows them to skirt the cap by putting pay outside the boundaries of his playing days.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Not if you are NE. What is this we are hearing about Brady's recent cap friendly restructure to allow them to stay under the cap? Something about the team giving him a multimillion dollar contract for "team services" after he retires from playing. This effectively allows them to skirt the cap by putting pay outside the boundaries of his playing days.

Shouldn't be allowed, IMO.

flippy
01-05-2015, 12:57 AM

Wonder if we could pay Ben's wife $20M/yr to do some odd job for the Steelers to get around paying Ben ;)

bostonsteeler
01-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Wonder if we could pay Ben's wife $20M/yr to do some odd job for the Steelers to get around paying Ben ;)

Now that's a great idea! "QB Motivation Coach"..

Shawn
01-05-2015, 08:28 AM
If the Steelers were to bring in Suh, that move may single handedly put us in the Super Bowl next season. i agree. He would change the face of the entire D.