PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Bell ruled out per ESPN

feltdizz
01-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Next man up

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Baltimore is stout against the run and weak against the pass. Beat the Ravens through the air (see: 6 TD passes in our last meeting at Heinz). Get just enough of a contribution from Harris, Archer, Tate, and Johnson to get Baltimore to respect play action. Let Bell rest up for Denver rather than trying to push him on a short week (Saturday Night Football coming off Sunday Night Football).

Steelwolf
01-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Let's go Harris! Time to shine and prove you belong man

buccoray61
01-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I feel it's the right move.

feltdizz
01-02-2015, 02:14 PM
I feel it's the right move.
It is... even if Bell feels he can go we have to think about the long term.

phillyesq
01-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Major bummer. I was hoping that Bell would at least kept the Ravens honest against the run, not to mention the way he abused Mosley in the passing game. Hopefully Harris does enough to keep the Ravens honest. On the other hand, I could almost see opening the game in the shotgun with the no huddle and just airing it out. Not ideal weather conditions for it but it is playing to their strength.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-02-2015, 02:18 PM
sucks, but not unexpected

buccoray61
01-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Major bummer. I was hoping that Bell would at least kept the Ravens honest against the run, not to mention the way he abused Mosley in the passing game. Hopefully Harris does enough to keep the Ravens honest. On the other hand, I could almost see opening the game in the shotgun with the no huddle and just airing it out. Not ideal weather conditions for it but it is playing to their strength.
I actually see the opposite. I see the Steelers coming out and trying to establish the run. It won't be the same as having Bell in,but they need the threat of the run for play action.

Oviedo
01-02-2015, 03:00 PM
sucks, but not unexpected
yep. hard injury for a RB to rush back from

Ravens will be daring us to run the ball and will put everyone back in coverage

Bigsteel
01-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Harris will shock the world(nfl world)

Just like Willie Parker, an undrafted free agent that wasn't expected to do much until he did

8467thekraken
01-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Did you hear that, Harris? That's opportunity knockin'.

When you answer, rip the door off of it's hinges!

This team will rally around you, young man.

Just bring it!

skyhawk
01-02-2015, 08:07 PM
With a much improved Oline and three of the best blocking TEs in the game at the same time one should be able to plug and play. Bell is certainly a major talent but I think any RB can make a contribution to the offense and keep the D honest.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2015, 08:12 PM
With a much improved Oline and three of the best blocking TEs in the game at the same time one should be able to plug and play. Bell is certainly a major talent but I think any RB can make a contribution to the offense and keep the D honest.

Bell only gained 20 yards on 10 carries in the last game against the Ravens...

skyhawk
01-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Bell only gained 20 yards on 10 carries in the last game against the Ravens...

And in the passing game??

skyhawk
01-02-2015, 08:24 PM
I guess it's a good thing Bell is out tomorrow! ;)

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2015, 08:45 PM
And in the passing game??

5 catches for 38 yards, which means Bell only had a total of 58 yards from scrimmage the last time we played the Ravens yet we still won by 20 points...

SteelCrazy
01-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Why would the Steelers let the world know that Bell isnt playing? They could have kept him questionable until tomorrow night, 90 minutes before kickoff and then ruled him out. Less time for the Ravens to prepare for them without Bell. Then again maybe its some kind of strategy and they'll run Harris til the wheels fall off.

D Rock
01-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Why would the Steelers let the world know that Bell isnt playing? They could have kept him questionable until tomorrow night, 90 minutes before kickoff and then ruled him out. Less time for the Ravens to prepare for them without Bell. Then again maybe its some kind of strategy and they'll run Harris til the wheels fall off.

I think it is an attempt at mental warfare

All week long, the Ravens players have been wondering if Bell will play or not. By saying he is out now, it causes them to relax a little bit - gives them just long enough to think they have it easy without giving them too long to prepare for the new game plan. By waiting until just before game time, adrenaline is already up and they don't care who is playing.

buccoray61
01-02-2015, 09:23 PM
I think you guys are making too much out of this announcement thing. The Ravens,like everyone else can read the papers. It has been reported widely that Bell hasn't practiced the last two days. It doesn't take a big leap in logic to see that he wasn't going to play,better to get it out of the way and get down to business.

NorthCoast
01-02-2015, 09:38 PM
5 catches for 38 yards, which means Bell only had a total of 58 yards from scrimmage the last time we played the Ravens yet we still won by 20 points...

The threat is what it is all about. If Harris can break a few early runs it may be all that is needed to keep the Ravens D honest. Otherwise, Haley better be ready with a package of blitz protection plays cause that's what I would do if I was playing against the Steelers.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2015, 11:12 PM
The threat is what it is all about. If Harris can break a few early runs it may be all that is needed to keep the Ravens D honest. Otherwise, Haley better be ready with a package of blitz protection plays cause that's what I would do if I was playing against the Steelers.

$$$$$$$$$$$

SteelCrazy
01-02-2015, 11:37 PM
I think you guys are making too much out of this announcement thing. The Ravens,like everyone else can read the papers. It has been reported widely that Bell hasn't practiced the last two days. It doesn't take a big leap in logic to see that he wasn't going to play,better to get it out of the way and get down to business.

If Bell would have played he would have been the 1st player ever to do so without practicing...Every move at this level is strategic in nature and if its not, you're not doing your job.

NJ-STEELER
01-03-2015, 02:37 AM
wondering how many snaps tate sees

papillon
01-03-2015, 09:12 AM
wondering how many snaps tate sees

Very few, if any, IMO, here's the thing. When they released Blount, if they didn't think they had a back behind Bell they would have started the search immediately and put someone on the team and release JB then. If they believed Harris/Archer was good enough as backup (which is what I believe) then you stay status quo and keep another WR on the team. Now, with Bell down they need a backup just in case Harris or Archer get injured, so I believe Tate doesn't see the field save for injury.

Now, he may get invited to camp to compete for the backup spot in the summer/fall for the 2015 season, but I believe he's the emergency back at this point.

Pappy

bostonsteeler
01-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Very few, if any, IMO, here's the thing. When they released Blount, if they didn't think they had a back behind Bell they would have started the search immediately and put someone on the team and release JB then. If they believed Harris/Archer was good enough as backup (which is what I believe) then you stay status quo and keep another WR on the team. Now, with Bell down they need a backup just in case Harris or Archer get injured, so I believe Tate doesn't see the field save for injury.

Now, he may get invited to camp to compete for the backup spot in the summer/fall for the 2015 season, but I believe he's the emergency back at this point.

Pappy

I believe you're right. Very intuitive analysis here..

D Rock
01-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see them bring in Roy Helu as the #2 guy next year. Great receiver too, so he can legitimately take some of the wear and tear off Bell.

Flasteel
01-03-2015, 12:16 PM
I believe you're right. Very intuitive analysis here..

I also agree with Pap's sentiments.

My biggest concern and what nobody seemes to be mentioning, is Bell's contribution to ball security. He hasn't fumbled the ball once all year (only once in his career). Now, he is being replaced with a guy (or couple of guys) with minimum NFL experience and little pedigree.

More than anything, I'm worried about ball security in tonight's game. The Ravens can only beat us in one of two ways. Get to Ben and/or force turnovers. Here's to hoping that our rookie replacements don't hand them the latter on a silver platter.

SidSmythe
01-03-2015, 12:35 PM
I also agree with Pap's sentiments.

My biggest concern and what nobody seemes to be mentioning, is Bell's contribution to ball security. He hasn't fumbled the ball once all year (only once in his career). Now, he is being replaced with a guy (or couple of guys) with minimum NFL experience and little pedigree.

More than anything, I'm worried about ball security in tonight's game. The Ravens can only beat us in one of two ways. Get to Ben and/or force turnovers. Here's to hoping that our rookie replacements don't hand them the latter on a silver platter.

I don't think anyone takes anything for granted when it comes to replacing BELL.
Next to Ben, Bell is our Offense and that's why the thought of losing him is sickening. Even if Blount was still on the team.

raycafan
01-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I bet Tate gets a few carries, with the weather forecast they may need somebody a little heavier to get some traction. But I really want to see what Harris has to offer. Call me a dreamer but I think he breaks a hundred to end the Raven streak. The surprise of the playoffs.

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Maurkice Pouncey: You don't see what Josh Harris does in practice

By Dale Grdnic on Jan 2 2015

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Q1ShFdNorGkHbbk6C1OXO-eTVKc=/0x43:2927x1994/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45140628/usa-today-8297485.0.jpg

Steelers All Pro center Maurkice Pouncey throws his weight behind Josh Harris, Dri Archer and Ben Tate as the Steelers prepare to face the Ravens without Le'Veon Bell.

PITTSBURGH -- It would be impossible for any team to replace a running back the caliber of Le'Veon Bell, who Coach Mike Tomlin ruled out for Saturday's playoff game, but more importantly how do the Pittsburgh make up for the loss of 40 percent of their offense.

The answer is simple, according to center Maurkice Pouncey, who joined Bell and wideout Antonio Brown on the AP All-Pro team announced Friday.

"One guy can't do it, so we're going to use three,'' Pouncey said. "We've got Josh Harris, who is a good back. You all don't get to see all of the practices during a season, so you don't know everything he can do. But Josh is a good back. He's just inexperienced, but he can run and catch. And he's real fast.''

Pouncey also mentioned veteran Ben Tate, who joined the Steelers this week after stints in Cleveland and Minnesota during the regular season, and rookie third-round draft pick Dri Archer. Bell led the AFC in rushing with 1,361 yards and eight touchdowns. He also was second on the Steelers with 83 catches for 854 yards and three more scores. So, the trio has a lot of work ahead.

Tate talked to the media Wednesday, after his first team practice, but he declined comment Friday and apparently was his regular rude self. That attitude reportedly is why he fell out of favor with every team he's been with in a brief NFL career. Archer, after a solid preseason, was injured early and really had no impact. He finished with 10 carries for 40 yards and seven catches for 23 yards with at least as many dropped passes and no touchdowns.

"I really don't think I've shown what I can do,'' Archer said. "I'm looking forward to whatever opportunity I get to help this team. I just have to be myself and take advantage of it.''

Harris was activated from the practice squad when the Steelers cut LeGarrette Blount after the club's Nov. 17 win at Tennessee, and he had just nine carries for 16 yards. He ripped off about an 80-yard run against the Bengals in the final regular-season game, but it was called back due to a questionable holding call on Ramon Foster. That play, at least, gave him some confidence.

"I want make sure that I know all the things that I need to know, so I don't have that moment of not knowing where I should line up or what I should do,'' Harris said Friday after practice. "(And) I just want to be that guy (that) when he had his shot, he did all he could do to help out this team.''

Brown did not believe that other Steelers had to step up their games to make up for Bell's absence.

"We all have to be ourselves and go out there and be ready to make plays, but it's going to take a team to win,'' Brown said. Brown led the NFL with 129 catches for 1,698 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Notes: Bell was the only Steelers player out this week. All the other injured players -- OT Mike Adams (illness), OLB James Harrison (illness), QB Landry Jones (illness), NT Steve McLendon (right shoulder), TE Michael Palmer (groin), CB Ike Taylor (right forearm, shoulder) and SS Troy Polamalu (knee) -- all practiced and are probable.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-playoffs-ravens-wild-card-news/2015/1/2/7482667/steelers-josh-harris-running-backs-depth-chart-leveon-bell-injury-status

NJ-STEELER
01-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Pappy

oooppps lol.

J/k

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2015, 09:31 PM
I bet Tate gets a few carries.

Tate started the game...