PDA

View Full Version : CB Antwon Blake is what next man up is all about

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Blake is what next man up is all about

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Antwon Blake is a prime example of what the next man up should do.

All season long Coach Mike Tomlin has been preaching the importance of the next man up. Players understand if a teammate is injured, they have to step in and not let the level of play suffer. It’s what Tomlin expects, it’s what the rest of the team expects and it’s what they expect.

Cornerback Antwon Blake expects that from himself and more.

“It’s very exciting to get out there, get a shot and make plays,” said Blake, who has become a huge contributor on defense while holding down his role on special teams. “In the NFL, it’s the next man up. Due to some injuries that’s how I got my shot. I am just looking to continue to make plays every week and do what I can for this team.”

With Ike Taylor battling injuries, and Cortez Allen placed on injured reserve earlier in the season, both Blake and Brice McCain have stepped to the plate and gone above the expectations for the next man up. Blake was a key factor in the Steelers win over the Cincinnati Bengals that secured the Steelers the AFC North title with his forced fumble and recovery a turning point in the game.

“I am just fortunate enough to make a play when my number is called,” said Blake. “I was in the right place at the right time, the call was perfect so that’s how that works.”

Being in the right place, though, is about focus. It’s about effort. And it’s about wanting to make an impact.

“You have to be there, that contributes to effort, running to the ball, that type of thing,” said Blake. “When I got there I wanted to make something happen.

“When you run to the ball good things tend to happen. You see by the way we practice, we are always in pursuit mode, chasing down runners or whoever.”

Blake is hoping to keep making those type of contributions as the Steelers playoff run begins on Saturday night against the Ravens at Heinz Field.

“This is my first time experiencing anything like this, first time in playoffs,” said Blake. “Playing at home in front of the fans I know it’s going to be electric out there. I know the atmosphere is going to be crazy. I am looking forward to being out there making plays.”

Blake, like many of his teammates, said the players started to focus on getting back to the playoffs during the offseason and things intensified late in the season.

“I feel like our team has been playing lights out,” said Blake. “I just feel like we are putting it together in all three phases. We are winning the battle in all three phases. Especially the turnover battle. When those things happen you get victories. We have been extra motivated because we knew if we won the games what was at stake.

“In the defensive back room we have a lot of veteran players, guys who have been in this situation a lot. They told us the importance of what was going on. They didn’t need to tell us to be focused. They just harped on how important it is and the feeling of being in this type of situation. When you hear those types of things you want to go your hardest.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Blake-is-what-next-man-up-is-all-about/840eeafd-6420-4e6b-b9fb-e330c35a9eb2

Slapstick
01-01-2015, 07:00 PM
IIRC, Blake is a RFA this offseason...while I wouldn't necessarily count on him as a 16 game starter, I'd like to see him remain a Steeler for awhile...if he can work his way up to playing as well on a consistent basis as William Gay has this season, it would be great.

Snatch98
01-01-2015, 07:50 PM
IIRC, Blake is a RFA this offseason...while I wouldn't necessarily count on him as a 16 game starter, I'd like to see him remain a Steeler for awhile...if he can work his way up to playing as well on a consistent basis as William Gay has this season, it would be great.

He and McCain have both been a breath of fresh air since entering the lineup. Gay has also taken his game to a new level, although I've always felt he was good. Gay has proven to be a legit starter.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2015, 12:12 AM
2015 Free Agents: Cornerbacks

Gordon McGuinness | December 25, 2014

Here you will find all the available free agents as well as how many snaps they played in 2014 and their PFF grade for the year.

2015 Free Agent Cornerbacks

Kareem Jackson 27 CB HST UFA 9.5 785
Rashean Mathis 35 CB DET UFA 9.1 1050
Chris Culliver 27 CB SF UFA 8.5 839
Brandon Flowers 29 CB SD UFA 8.2 837
Sterling Moore 25 CB DAL UFA 6 752
Chris Cook 28 CB SF UFA 1.9 48
Brandon Harris 25 CB TEN UFA 1.7 112
Tramon Williams 32 CB GB UFA 1.6 1032
Josh Thomas 26 CB DET UFA 1.6 36
Perrish Cox 28 CB SF UFA 1.2 965
Charles Tillman 34 CB CHI UFA 0.5 99
Antwon Blake 25 CB PIT RFA 0.3 275
Mike Harris 26 CB NYG RFA 0.3 224
Josh Gordy 28 CB IND UFA 0.2 285
Javier Arenas 27 CB ATL UFA 0.2 54
Patrick Robinson 27 CB NO UFA 0.1 624
Alan Ball 30 CB JAX UFA 0.1 508
Aaron Ross 32 CB BLT UFA 0 0
Teddy Williams 27 CB JAX RFA 0 0
Danny Gorrer 29 CB BLT UFA -0.1 335
Davon House 26 CB GB UFA -0.1 411
Antonio Cromartie 31 CB ARZ UFA -0.2 1012
Byron Maxwell 27 CB SEA UFA -0.2 717
Walter Thurmond 28 CB NYG UFA -0.5 67
Justin Rogers 27 CB WAS UFA -0.5 8
Jarrett Bush 31 CB GB UFA -1.2 42
Mike Jenkins 30 CB TB UFA -1.2 32
Tony Carter 29 CB DEN RFA -1.9 87
Terence Newman 36 CB CIN UFA -2 883
R.J. Stanford 27 CB MIA RFA -2.2 137
Sherrod Martin 30 CB JAX UFA -2.6 139
Brice McCain 28 CB PIT UFA -2.8 615
Sherrick McManis 27 CB CHI UFA -2.8 46
Chimdi Chekwa 26 CB OAK RFA -3.1 89
Darius Butler 29 CB IND UFA -3.2 625
Carlos Rogers 34 CB OAK UFA -3.6 477
Zackary Bowman 30 CB NYG UFA -4.3 458
James Dockery 26 CB CAR UFA -4.3 88
Tarell Brown 30 CB OAK UFA -4.6 1000
Josh Wilson 30 CB ATL UFA -4.6 458
Kyle Wilson 28 CB NYJ UFA -4.6 320
Cassius Vaughn 27 CB DET UFA -5.9 387
Buster Skrine 26 CB CLV UFA -6.3 1152
Chris Owens 28 CB KC UFA -7 500
Jimmy Wilson 29 CB MIA UFA -7.4 791
Leonard Johnson 25 CB TB RFA -7.7 402
Phillip Adams 27 CB NYJ UFA -7.8 315
Robert McClain 27 CB ATL UFA -8.1 642
Bradley Fletcher 29 CB PHI UFA -8.4 1094
Ike Taylor 35 CB PIT UFA -8.9 263
Antoine Cason 29 CB BLT UFA -9.7 690
Charles Godfrey 29 CB ATL UFA -10.4 212
Chykie Brown 28 CB NYG UFA -11.5 516
E.J. Biggers 28 CB WAS UFA -12.9 466
Shareece Wright 28 CB SD UFA -16.8 853

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-cornerbacks/

Oviedo
01-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Blake has put forth his best, but I would consider him far from a starting caliber CB. AJ Green had his way with him last game and the Ravens will absolutley be looking at him as the weak link to attack tomorrow night.

Slapstick
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Did AJ Green truly "have his way" last game?

With his whopping 10.25 YpC average, his no TDs and his costly fumble (forced by Blake)?

feltdizz
01-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Aj Green had his way with Blake? Hell, I hope the Ravens have the same results...

papillon
01-02-2015, 12:02 PM

The one thing that Blake doesn't have that would be handy is height, but he knows how to compensate for that. His average 40 times are 4.34 with a low of 4.22 and high of 4.48, so he has the speed to contend with NFL caliber WRs. I see no reason why he can't be a #1 CB in the NFL if he continues to work on technique and gain an even better grasp of the defense. The Steelers could have fallen in a pile of ish and come out smelling like a rose on this one. I don't see anyone moving him out of the starting lineup next year.

Pappy

papillon
01-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Blake has put forth his best, but I would consider him far from a starting caliber CB. AJ Green had his way with him last game and the Ravens will absolutley be looking at him as the weak link to attack tomorrow night.

That's fine with me, he seems to like making big plays. :)

Pappy

Slapstick
01-02-2015, 12:05 PM
The one thing that Blake doesn't have that would be handy is height, but he knows how to compensate for that. His average 40 times are 4.34 with a low of 4.22 and high of 4.48, so he has the speed to contend with NFL caliber WRs. I see no reason why he can't be a #1 CB in the NFL if he continues to work on technique and gain an even better grasp of the defense. The Steelers could have fallen in a pile of ish and come out smelling like a rose on this one. I don't see anyone moving him out of the starting lineup next year.

Pappy

Blake also has a crazy vertical, IIRC...

papillon
01-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Blake also has a crazy vertical, IIRC...

Only 39" :) and 21 reps at 225. He's physically capable IMO, it will be about technique and experience. He may never be a pro bowl CB, but it seems he's certainly capable of being a very good CB in the NFL.

Pappy

SteelerMaine83
01-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Only 39" :) and 21 reps at 225. He's physically capable IMO, it will be about technique and experience. He may never be a pro bowl CB, but it seems he's certainly capable of being a very good CB in the NFL.

Pappy

The Steeler CB does not need to be great (good thing) if our front 7 can do what the Steelers D-style 3-4 needs them to do--apply consistent pressure. Blake continues to be more assignment-sound with each game and he competes ferociously for someone his size. Would I like an upgrade? Absolutely. Do I want Blake re-signed? Absolutely. He's a solid pro CB and a very good ST contributor.

papillon
01-02-2015, 04:57 PM
The Steeler CB does not need to be great (good thing) if our front 7 can do what the Steelers D-style 3-4 needs them to do--apply consistent pressure. Blake continues to be more assignment-sound with each game and he competes ferociously for someone his size. Would I like an upgrade? Absolutely. Do I want Blake re-signed? Absolutely. He's a solid pro CB and a very good ST contributor.

He reminds me of the Larry Foote of the secondary, he'll be the starter for a long time, the Steelers will bring someone in every year to take his job, but he won't let go of it and he'll end up being loved by the fans and organization. That's my story I'm sticking to it. ;)

Pappy

SteelerMaine83
01-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Pappy, that's spot on. I'm not sure we win the North this year without his play. All 53 have a job to do, and he does his, whether starter, backup or S-Teamer. This Steeler fan has a place for him on this team for the next few years.

papillon
01-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Pappy, that's spot on. I'm not sure we win the North this year without his play. All 53 have a job to do, and he does his, whether starter, backup or S-Teamer. This Steeler fan has a place for him on this team for the next few years.

The beauty of players like him that have to work so hard to get something they work even harder to keep it.

Pappy

skyhawk
01-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Give me playmakers! Blake and McCain have done that this year when the D was UNABLE to make plays for 2+ seasons now. That, in my book, is a major turnaround. Give these guys the starting jobs! They have earned it.

AAAAND, I agree with Pap.

skyhawk
01-02-2015, 08:18 PM
He reminds me of the Larry Foote of the secondary, he'll be the starter for a long time, the Steelers will bring someone in every year to take his job, but he won't let go of it and he'll end up being loved by the fans and organization. That's my story I'm sticking to it. ;)

Pappy

Great analogy. Foote was highly underrated by fans. He will always be known to me as "My boy, Foote". Those at the Steelers bar over the past 10 seasons would yell at me after Larry making a play "it's your boy, Foote!"

Many have tried to take his position, and they all failed. We have been spoiled at the ILB position. Kirkland, Farrior, Foote. 3 of the best ILBs of the recent past.

Slapstick
01-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Don't forget Lawrence Timmons, All-Pro LB, as well...

NorthCoast
01-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Blake is more than capable of being a starting CB in the NFL. He won't win all the battles and might not shut a guy out, but every game I watch he is making improvements to his game to the point that I see few glaring weaknesses.
The Steelers have a few players on their roster that don't fit the NFL mold but exceed based on desire and sheer dedication to their craft:

Antonio Brown
Kelvin Beachum
Antoine Blake

Gotta like their stories.

skyhawk
01-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Don't forget Lawrence Timmons, All-Pro LB, as well...

Yep!

I said past!! ;)

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Great analogy. Foote was highly underrated by fans. He will always be known to me as "My boy, Foote". Those at the Steelers bar over the past 10 seasons would yell at me after Larry making a play "it's your boy, Foote!"

Many have tried to take his position, and they all failed. We have been spoiled at the ILB position. Kirkland, Farrior, Foote. 3 of the best ILBs of the recent past.

Did you see that Foote got a vote as an All Pro ILB this year? Pretty impressive at his age...

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Adamski: ‘Grinder’ Blake happy to have ‘shown his worth’ as a corner for Steelers

January 15, 2015 by Chris Adamski

Through a quarter of the Steelers’ Sept. 21 night game at Carolina, Antwon Blake hadn’t been on the field for the defense for a snap yet this season.

Further, according to Pro Football Focus, prior to this season Blake had been on the field for just nine defensive NFL snaps — four with Jacksonville after being an undrafted rookie in 2012; five with the Steelers last season – and never more than two in any given game.

But then Ike Taylor sustained a gruesome broken forearm when he was accidentally run into by a teammate. Without much of a choice that night in Charlotte, the Steelers turned to Blake.

A few weeks later, the team had seen enough of Cortez Allen at cornerback. Again without much of a choice, the Steelers turned to Blake.

This time, it stuck.

Throughout the remainder of the season, Blake played a regular role on a defense that seemed to hit its stride down the stretch. Over the final eight games of the regular season, Blake played 247 of the Steelers’ 557 defensive snaps (per Pro Football Focus) – or 43 percent.

“I already felt like I had a home here last year, just from the way they welcomed me in and the way the program was set up,” Blake said. “But I was able to come in and prove some things and show my worth a little bit to the team, so I definitely feel like this is my home now.”

Blake, 24, has quite an offseason planned. He intends on working on finishing course work at UTEP to earn his degree. Football-wise, he’s excited to improve further and continue to work his way into the Steelers’ plans in a more prominent role.

“I’m a grinder, so I’m going to be grinding regardless,” Blake said. “I’m gonna be back home working out everyday and just working on every little thing, just watching film and trying to do everything I can to get better.”

The 5-foot-9, 198-pound Houston native showed this season that his value to an NFL team goes beyond that of just being a special-teamer. Although it seems unlikely Blake will ever become a Pro Bowler – or even, maybe, a starter or every-down player in the NFL – his efficient work when called upon in 2014 suggests he could be at least a part of the answer going forward for a Steelers team that appears to be perhaps its weakest at cornerback.

With Taylor appearing headed for retirement, Brice McCain a free agent, Allen coming off a dreadful year and B.W. Webb not having played appreciably on defense at the NFL level, Blake, in effect, is No. 2 on the Steelers’ depth chart at cornerback (at the moment) behind veteran William Gay. Of course, Allen (and his $26 million contract) will likely be given a chance to regain his form, and McCain might be re-signed. Still, can Blake be a permanent part of the Steelers’ plans at corner?

“I’m not really concerned with that,” Blake said. “We’ll see how that goes whenever we start OTAs because ultimately, things change week-to-week in the NFL, so you can’t really harp on that too much.”

As Blake found out this past season.

“You never know, you know?” he said. “People get hurt all the time. The biggest thing is just being ready and being prepared. It’s one thing not to be ready when you get your opportunity, so you just have to focus on things because you don’t know when your name is going to be called. But when it is, you have to make sure you go out there and do whatever you can for your team.”

Blake isn’t big – but he has shown a propensity for the big play. At UTEP, he forced two fumbles as a junior and blocked two kicks as a senior. His forced fumble late in the de facto AFC North championship game Dec. 28, it could be argued, singlehandedly swung the game in the Steelers’ favor.

It was another example of Blake proving to himself (and others) that he can be a regular NFL cornerback. He made his case this past season.

“I feel like the biggest thing is just confidence-wise,” Blake said, “and getting that experience, because you could be an All Pro in practice – but the game and practice are two different things. Once you get that game experience, then you get to get a little more comfortable and you start playing a lot better. And that’s how I feel.”

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2015/01/15/adamski-grinder-blake-happy-to-have-shown-his-worth-as-a-corner-for-steelers/#ixzz3PJlsoS4y