PDA

View Full Version : RB Ben Tate

Steelwolf
12-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Adam schefter is reporting steelers are gearing up to sign him sometime today.

Looks as bell is a no go Saturday.

Oviedo
12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
It would be a miracle for Bell to play in less than two weeks given the position he plays.

I'm typically very supportive of them, but the Front office f'ed up not signing someone like Tate 2-3 weeks ago to be ready for a situation like this.

Steelwolf
12-30-2014, 10:49 AM
I agree, dumerville and Suggs are going to be an issue and with bell out I'm not sure tate can block either

Sword
12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
if they do sign it's just to give us depth..Harris will be workhorse....

papillon
12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
I agree, dumerville and Suggs are going to be an issue and with bell out I'm not sure tate can block either

Two words for Dumerville and Suggs -- Beachum, Gilbert :D

Pappy

Notleadpoisoned
12-30-2014, 11:04 AM
I guess Tate would be a better pickup than Ray Rice.....maybe.

phillyesq
12-30-2014, 11:07 AM
I'd almost prefer to see the Steelers kick the tires of Felix Jones. He should be somewhat familiar with the system.

Starlifter
12-30-2014, 11:09 AM
what they need is a serviceable RB who can also BLOCK. one of LB's most overlooked talents was his ability to help protect ben and then roll out to be the dumpoff if need be.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-30-2014, 11:09 AM
I'd almost prefer to see the Steelers kick the tires of Felix Jones. He should be somewhat familiar with the system.

That's what I was thinking. Wonder why they don't give him a call?

Discipline of Steel
12-30-2014, 11:15 AM
That's what I was thinking. Wonder why they don't give him a call?

Are you kidding? He hasnt worked all year and must be fatter than James Harrison

Flasteel
12-30-2014, 11:16 AM
The only way I would be cool with giving up someone else's roster spot for Tate is if Bell's injury projects to keeping him out for more than 1 game. We should be able to handle the Ravens, given their wretched secondary and lackluster offense.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Are you kidding? He hasnt worked all year and must be fatter than James Harrison

And you know this how?

phillyesq
12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
And you know this how?

Seriously. For all we know, he is working out every day hoping for another opportunity.

Steelwolf
12-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I know injuries happen but damn this sucks!

papillon
12-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Fatter than James Harrison? Huh? He's the Steelers best linebacker right now save for Timmons.

Edit: Missed the sarcasm in your post. :D

Pappy

Shoe
12-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Who knows--Harris could give us an Isaac Redman-like one-game performance (I think Redman had a couple 100-yard games to finish the year a couple years back). Granted, pass-blocking is going to be an issue we will need to be careful with, as will ball security--Bell is such a dependable back--but it is what it is.

I'm OK with the Tate signing. I do still want Archer to have a role this week though.

Discipline of Steel
12-30-2014, 11:57 AM
And you know this how?

Its a joke....James Harrison is not fat, even though one of our former members insisted he was upon his return to football this year.
Then again, Jones very well could be out of shape and not ready for a playoff game against hated rivals...

RobinCole
12-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Jones was mediocre last year and I doubt he has improved. Let's go with Harris and Archer. Haley will figure out a way to compensate for the loss of Bell's pass protection and receiving abilities. ( He said with fingers crossed).

phillyesq
12-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Fatter than James Harrison? Huh? He's the Steelers best linebacker right now save for Timmons.

Edit: Missed the sarcasm in your post. :D

Pappy

Oops. I missed it, too.

Jooser
12-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Put Deebo in the backfield and let him block, that'd be epic to see him take on Thuggs.

phillyesq
12-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Jones was mediocre last year and I doubt he has improved. Let's go with Harris and Archer. Haley will figure out a way to compensate for the loss of Bell's pass protection and receiving abilities. ( He said with fingers crossed).

I don't think you can go into a playoff game against the Ravens with only 2 healthy RBs, particularly when one of them weighs something like 170. If one of those guys gets hurt, you are screwed. Whether Jones or Tate, the Steelers need to add somebody for depth if Bell can't go. There is plenty of room on the roster -- here is looking at you, Justin Brown...

RobinCole
12-30-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm aware that they need to add a 3rd RB, but doubt that Tate is anything more than a warm body for use only in a worst-case emergency. He will have had three days of practice at the most. He was cut twice this year.

And just a thought, why not give Will Johnson more touches? He might also be more effective in pass protection than the others.

Rara
12-30-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm fine with the Tate signing...just wish he would just accept a back up role still when Bell comes back. Would love for him to be Bell's back up next season and so forth..but he's so damn stubborn and wants to be the franchise running back.

Chucktownsteeler
12-30-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm fine with the Tate signing...just wish he would just accept a back up role still when Bell comes back. Would love for him to be Bell's back up next season and so forth..but he's so damn stubborn and wants to be the franchise running back.

Who knows, maybe he will realize he is running out of opportunities or maybe he is a "franchise RB" in his mind only.

phillyesq
12-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Who knows, maybe he will realize he is running out of opportunities or maybe he is a "franchise RB" in his mind only.

Joining his third team this season could certainly bring a reality check to Tate. I'm not sure that I'd like to keep him around full time. It's a shame that James Starks re-signed. I remember that the Steelers were going to bring him in for an offseason visit, and he would have been a nice #2.

In the offseason, I think a #2 RB is a prime area for a low level FA addition. Roy Helu is a UFA who would be a nice fit. Bilal Powell is another guy who could work.

Chucktownsteeler
12-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Joining his third team this season could certainly bring a reality check to Tate. I'm not sure that I'd like to keep him around full time. It's a shame that James Starks re-signed. I remember that the Steelers were going to bring him in for an offseason visit, and he would have been a nice #2.

In the offseason, I think a #2 RB is a prime area for a low level FA addition. Roy Helu is a UFA who would be a nice fit. Bilal Powell is another guy who could work.

What about Battle? Is he still available?

Ghost
12-30-2014, 01:54 PM
I'd like to see a whole lot of the "Johnson - Harris Express" and very, very little of the Archer tricycle. Just tell Johnson to take a whole bunch of Advil before the game and to see the equipment manager about an extra tight chinstrap as he's going to be laying the wood to Ravens rushers all day as Ben picks apart the secondary.

RobinCole
12-30-2014, 02:48 PM
A whole bunch of Advil is bad for the kidneys. Just take two. He who bringeth the wood hurts less than he who receiveth the wood.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Steelers have just signed Tate and released Justin Brown to make room on the roster for him...

Rara
12-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Tate was signed for pass blocking...REALLY? So every time Tate gets on the field expect to pass? Nice strategy, Steelers...whoa.

phillyesq
12-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Tate was signed for pass blocking...REALLY? So every time Tate gets on the field expect to pass? Nice strategy, Steelers...whoa.

Some of the blogs (including BehindtheSteelCurtain) have speculated that is why he was signed, but here is the benign press release from the Steelers:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-running-back-Ben-Tate/0fa5333e-16c7-4da4-8d69-db7df85bd8ac?adbid=550011801660690432&adbpl=tw&adbpr=19426729&campaign=social_20141230_38093047

skyhawk
12-30-2014, 04:05 PM
I guess those who said Tomlin will run Bell til the wheels fall off were right. They fell off.

Jooser
12-30-2014, 04:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/steelers-announce-signing-of-running-back-ben-tate/

Steelers announce signing of running back Ben TatePosted by Michael David Smith on December 30, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt q1ngu4yjzizmu3nja0ztaymjy0yza1yzyxndm0zthk-e1416499763588.jpeg?w=230APWith Le’Veon Bell (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell) injured and possibly unavailable for Saturday’s playoff game against the Ravens, the Steelers have added some insurance at the position.
Free agent running back Ben Tate (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5742/ben-tate) has been signed, the team announced today.
Tate has bounced around the league this year, first signing with the Browns, then getting cut and going to Minnesota. He didn’t play particularly well in either stop, averaging just 3.1 yards a carry in Cleveland and 2.9 yards a carry with the Vikings. But Tate had three solid seasons with the Texans from 2011 to 2013, and he’s probably the best running back available right now.

To make room for Tate on the 53-player roster, the Steelers released wide receiverJustin Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8589/justin-brown)

Jooser
12-30-2014, 04:06 PM
I guess those who said Tomlin will run Bell til the wheels fall off were right. They fell off.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Come on, man!

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Tate was signed for pass blocking...

Ben Tate has also caught 67 passes in four seasons so he can be used as a 3rd down back to either block or go out for a pass...

Snatch98
12-30-2014, 04:45 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Come on, man!

Haha agreed. Definitely didn't get overworked. Just a crap situation.

papillon
12-30-2014, 05:03 PM
For the Raven game I can't see Tate being in the game at all, I think Harris, Johnson and Archer will get the carries and snaps. I have a feeling that the Steelers are hoping Tate will come to camp and try to earn the backup role to Bell. If Bell can't go after the Steelers kick the Raven's @ss and they are playing Denver, he might have enough of the playbook down to get snaps. I just don't see how he could be relied on in blitz pickup or the passing game in 4 days, running the ball, maybe, but definitely not the passing game, IMO.

Pappy

ikestops85
12-30-2014, 05:46 PM
A whole bunch of Advil is bad for the kidneys. Just take two. He who bringeth the wood hurts less than he who receiveth the wood.

He who receiveth the wood :moon ... are you claiming experience in this area? :shock:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :lol:

fezziwig
12-30-2014, 05:54 PM
With the release of Blount, I'm sure the Steelers at that time was already scouting possible running backs if the need ever arose. With them getting Tate, I'm sure he was the best available guy out there. I don't know anything about him less what I've read on this string.

ikestops85
12-30-2014, 06:02 PM
We know Will can block and he can catch. I think he sees a lot more playing time than he has in the past. Harris will get some and I hope we put in a few plays for Archer to get going. I still think Archer will be a weapon in the future and this game is as good as any to get him started.

JoshBroski
12-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Felix Jones? lol.

Ben Tate is the best back available and fits our system. He's a bigger back and only 26 as well. I'd take him over Josh 'no gain' Harris any day of the week.

JoshBroski
12-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Everytime Archer is on the field is a plunge up the middle. Really deceptive Haley...really sneaky...

:confused:

Slapstick
12-30-2014, 06:13 PM
"No gain" only because it was called back...and unnecessary...Peko wouldn't have had any impact on that play anyway...

JoshBroski
12-30-2014, 06:18 PM
"No gain" only because it was called back...and unnecessary...Peko wouldn't have had any impact on that play anyway...

How so? Peko ran across the line and was literally 2 yards from Harris while being drag held.

SteelBuckeye
12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Felix Jones? lol.

Ben Tate is the best back available and fits our system. He's a bigger back and only 26 as well. I'd take him over Josh 'no gain' Harris any day of the week.

What factors lead you to believe that Tate is a better option than Harris? Him being a "bigger back"? Is he faster than Harris? Does he catch better than Harris? Has he shown anything "THIS YEAR" that says without a doubt that he's better than Harris?

I'm happy he's on board and all, but his play this year wasn't what I'd consider "confidence inspiring". Hell, he got beat out in Cleveland by a couple of rookies. Imho, unless he proves it on the field, the jury is still out as to whether he's a better option than Harris.

Oviedo
12-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Everytime Archer is on the field is a plunge up the middle. Really deceptive Haley...really sneaky...

:confused:

I agree. Just as sneaky and deceptive as Jarvis Jones trying to bullrush a left tackle...just sayin:stirpot

Iron City Inc.
12-30-2014, 07:46 PM
I will admit I haven't looked at any Wake Forest tape and Harris got signed late during camp after we went through a few backs that couldn't cut it. Harris didn't jump out at me as a special talent in the small sample at camp that I saw him but he has a burst and the coaches obviously like him so we will toss him in and let the chips fall. For those knocking him I would only say hold some judgement until after Saturday.
Johnson will likely see added playing time because of his skill set.
The team that pass blocks best wins this playoff game imho.

Ghost
12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
If Tate doesn't fall down walking into the locker room he's already better than Archer.

Cant read too too much into this. The Steelers have a FB, a free agent just called up from the practice squad with less than 15 NFL carries, and a useless wisp that was a healthy scratch most of the season. Got to have a back up just in case. What do you do if Harris goes down in the first Q? I'll take Tate out there being told to hit people in purple.

Steelerstopfan
12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
With the release of Blount, I'm sure the Steelers at that time was already scouting possible running backs if the need ever arose. With them getting Tate, I'm sure he was the best available guy out there. I don't know anything about him less what I've read on this string.

The "knee jerk" move of cutting Blount when a game suspension, benching, or other disciplinary response would have sufficed is now coming back to haunt the FO and Tomlin. Not bring in an immediate, viable #2 at that time was mistake #2. Now, Tate must learn a new offense in 4 days, for what is essentially the entire season gone in the event of a loss. Complete course mismanagement.

I am not sure how Tate is "the best guy out there" when Ray Rice (who would have the biggest reason to shine against the Ravens) sits as does Jonathan Dwyer (knows the Steeler system). Sure, they both are damaged goods, but nobody is complaining about James Harrison's performance on the field which comes along with the same "girlfriend beating" reputation. This is where the rubber meets the road and win at all cost should govern. After all, the Patriots jumped at the opportunity to claim Blunt who now is giving one of our biggest obstacles a much stronger running game delivered on a silver platter from the FO.

SidSmythe
12-30-2014, 07:57 PM
How so? Peko ran across the line and was literally 2 yards from Harris while being drag held.

B/c Collinsworth said so during the game. Not sure what he was watching but Peko did his job so well he got held for doing so.

Ghost
12-30-2014, 08:10 PM
The "knee jerk" move of cutting Blount when a game suspension, benching, or other disciplinary response would have sufficed is now coming back to haunt the FO and Tomlin. Not bring in an immediate, viable #2 at that time was mistake #2. Now, Tate must learn a new offense in 4 days, for what is essentially the entire season gone in the event of a loss. Complete course mismanagement.

I am not sure how Tate is "the best guy out there" when Ray Rice (who would have the biggest reason to shine against the Ravens) sits as does Jonathan Dwyer (knows the Steeler system). Sure, they both are damaged goods, but nobody is complaining about James Harrison's performance on the field which comes along with the same "girlfriend beating" reputation. This is where the rubber meets the road and win at all cost should govern. After all, the Patriots jumped at the opportunity to claim Blunt who now is giving one of our biggest obstacles a much stronger running game delivered on a silver platter from the FO.

You actually created an account to post this? Wow. Feel free to make this your last post if this is the "logic" you plan to bring. The veteran players whole-heartedly backed the cutting of Blount. Said the team was better off. Calling it knee jerk as if it was the first offense or careful consideration wasn't given to a hard leadership decision is idiocy.

And thinking Ray Rice is a viable solution is beyond laughable. What a complete fool. You can't make player decisions in a vacuum. Same with Dwyer. He goes on trial in March for goodness sake. Neither player is available if you are sane.

This is entire post is ridiculous. Please don't ever breed.

RobinCole
12-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Character issues aside, I didn't see Blount do much on the field other than in mop-up duty against Carolina. Harris showed more explosiveness in one play Sunday than Blount did for us all year. But add in the other issues and the fact that his teammates were happy to be rid of him, and that decision becomes a no-brainer.

Tate doesn't have to learn the whole offense in four days. IMO, he'll see spot duty if any. That said, we've all seen instances in which a guy who has just been signed during the week does surprisingly well.

Ray Rice and Dwyer? Hilarious.

Steelwolf
12-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Yikes....this guy:wft:

Slapstick
12-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Unlike Ray Rice and Dwyer, Tate has been on an NFL team all season...he, at least, is ostensibly in playing shape as opposed to coming off the couch...

I'll take my chances with teaching him a few plays and listening to Ben tell him who to block...

Also, F Blount...

SteelBuckeye
12-30-2014, 08:39 PM
You actually created an account to post this? Wow. Feel free to make this your last post if this is the "logic" you plan to bring. The veteran players whole-heartedly backed the cutting of Blount. Said the team was better off. Calling it knee jerk as if it was the first offense or careful consideration wasn't given to a hard leadership decision is idiocy.

And thinking Ray Rice is a viable solution is beyond laughable. What a complete fool. You can't make player decisions in a vacuum. Same with Dwyer. He goes on trial in March for goodness sake. Neither player is available if you are sane.

Holy crap. Might as well have told the poor fellow to go roger a sheep. Yet, somehow your response felt absolutely .... right. :Agree:Agree:tt1:tt1

pittpete
12-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Lets play guess what idiot is back with a new identity...
Blount walked out on the team.
Front office isnt regretting anything, nor are they feeling haunted.
Now go get ya shinebox

Steelwolf
12-30-2014, 09:15 PM
That guy being sick beats!? Lolol

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Holy crap. Might as well have told the poor fellow to go roger a sheep. Yet, somehow your response felt absolutely .... right. :Agree:Agree:tt1:tt1

"Roger", as in Goodell? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:ratsuck:ratsuck:ratsuck

DukieBoy
12-30-2014, 09:37 PM

Well, Harrison was said by someone to have fat arms, and apparently he turned out well this season.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2014, 09:47 PM
You actually created an account to post this? Wow. Feel free to make this your last post if this is the "logic" you plan to bring.

there have been 3 "new" posters who have come out of the woodwork the last couple of days to post some really asinine things.

I mean really, what moron decides to come onto a message board and just pi$$ everybody off with their first few posts?

AzStillers1989
12-30-2014, 09:50 PM
That guy being sick beats!? Lolol
Where is sick beats anyway??

Steelwolf
12-30-2014, 10:03 PM
No clue, probably upset we made the playoffs :Cheers

AzStillers1989
12-30-2014, 10:11 PM
No clue, probably upset we made the playoffs :Cheers
Haha your probably right.

buccoray61
12-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Where is sick beats anyway??

He was banned.

pfelix73
12-31-2014, 12:25 AM
I really like the Harris kid.....Franco???

Discipline of Steel
12-31-2014, 12:54 AM
I really like the Harris kid.....Franco???

Franco's grandson...lol

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette -

Tomlin: FB Will Johnson is also possible to run the ball

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

Notleadpoisoned
12-31-2014, 10:37 AM
More Will Johnson please.

Discipline of Steel
12-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Folks, we are looking at RB by committee if Bell doesnt play...then, whoever has the hot 'feet'.

raycafan
12-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Harris really seems to have a nice burst of speed, I would like to give him some carries and really see where he can go. Think back to the first Browns game when they ran their young ones, the Steelers did not do a great job on them. Much of that is do to the fact there was no real tape on them what do they like to do. Rest Bell let him get more healthy for next week.

7 UP
12-31-2014, 08:12 PM
I think Bells plays. During the press conference Tomlin said Bell was working out on the bike like a mad man. On NFL.com it noted that Bell was walking limp free, and was said to "feel great". To me that all sounds positive.

Steelwolf
12-31-2014, 08:13 PM
I watched some of his college tape and to be honest he looks like a guy who can contribute nicely. I hope his ball security is strong, but his speed and his ability to hit holes looks good

NorthCoast
12-31-2014, 09:40 PM
what they need is a serviceable RB who can also BLOCK. one of LB's most overlooked talents was his ability to help protect ben and then roll out to be the dumpoff if need be.

This was brought up on Cowherd's radio show today. For all of Bell's talents with the ball, it's his blocking the blitz that is frequently overlooked. He does it very well.

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette -

Tomlin: FB Will Johnson is also possible to run the ball

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

Use Will Johnson like how the Raiders have used FB Marcel Reece as a replacement for injured RBs over the last few seasons. Or how we used to use John L. Williams or Merrill Hoge once upon a time.

NorthCoast
01-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Use Will Johnson like how the Raiders have used FB Marcel Reece as a replacement for injured RBs over the last few seasons. Or how we used to use John L. Williams or Merrill Hoge once upon a time.

I like Will Johnson a lot! Yea, he isn't Bell but he is generally solid to gain a few yards running and receiving on any given play. Plus, he is pretty good in blitz pickup, something the Steelers had better be ready for a heavy dose of on Saturday.

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Tate already sees teammates will to win

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

It didn't take long for running back Ben Tate to see how driven his Steelers' teammates are.

It’s barely been 48 hours since running back Ben Tate signed with the Steelers, but he already has a feel for what the team is like and understands why the Steelers are a playoff team.

“It’s a very welcoming team. Guys are great. The locker room is great,” said Tate during a break on Thursday morning. “You can tell these guys are together, there is that camaraderie. Everyone is together, everyone is talking, and there is a really good vibe here. I was telling people it reminded me of back when I was with the Texans and how we had that good vibe. Good teams have that. It’s good to be back around something like that.”

Tate, who spent three years with the Texans after they drafted him in the second round in 2011, was with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings earlier this season. He is quickly making the transition to the black and gold.

“You see the attitude, how everyone is together, how they go out and work,” said Tate. “The will and the want, you can tell these guys want to win. When they hit the field it’s all business. Being around that earlier in my career when I was in Houston, you can tell that is the makeup of good teams.”

The Steelers signed Tate after Le’Veon Bell suffered a hyperextended knee against the Bengals. While Bell said Wednesday his knee feels better than he expected, he is still a question mark for Saturday’s Wild Card game against the Ravens. Rookies Josh Harris and Dri Archer are expected to see playing time if Bell can’t go, and Tate was brought in for veteran depth.

Tate, who has rushed for 2,368 career yards and 14 touchdowns, is doing some quick work to get up to speed with the Steelers offense, including spending a lot of time studying the playbook so that he is prepared for whatever is asked of him.

“I’ve been in it a lot, but you want to have a good balance,” said Tate. “You don’t want to do too much and things start to run together. While I am here throughout the day I am always in it. You have to take a break here and there. I took a break when I got back to my room yesterday and then I was back in it before I went to bed.

“I just want to show that I am here and willing to do whatever it takes to help this team advance, to get to the goal. I am willing, ready. I want to show why I have been successful in this league running the ball. I want to put my best foot forward.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tate-already-sees-teammates-will-to-win-/ea35d8c8-112a-47c4-91c4-81d6ca1046ec

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Browns assistant: There was tension between Ben Tate and rookies

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 12, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Running back Ben Tate came to Cleveland last year to be the bell cow. But when a pair of rookies began cutting into his workload, he was apparently doing something other than mooing.

According to Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Browns running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery said the atmosphere became toxic between Tate and rookie running back Terrence West.

Tate was ultimately waived in November, and it seems there was a good reason for that.

“[Tate] came in early and they paid him [free-agent] money to come here so he felt he was ‘the guy’ and the other guys were in his way,” Montgomery said. “It created friction and this year there’s no friction at all. Everybody is out relaxing and playing.”

Tate probably would have kept the bulk of the work, but an injury in the opener opened the door for West and Isaiah Crowell. That didn’t sit well, and Montgomery said Tate and West “would get into it.”

“It was bad,” Montgomery said. “They would get into it, you know, in the locker room, just having words, and in the meeting room, and it takes away from what you are doing out on the field. It becomes a distraction. It’s a serious thing, it’s a hard thing, but then you have to move on like we did and let these young guys grow.”

The Browns added another back this year by taking Duke Johnson in the third round, but Montgomery said: “We have no personality problems.”

While they can say getting rid of Tate was simply to clear the way for the younger backs to get more carries, having that kind of resentment festering in the locker room isn’t going to help a team.

It’ll also be interesting to hear Tate’s take on the situation some day, as it’s easy to blame the guy that’s gone for any chemistry problems, though his continued unemployment may keep him from offering his opinion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/12/browns-assistant-there-was-tension-between-ben-tate-and-rookies/