PDA

View Full Version : Troy and Ike - odds they suit up?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Are they "injured"? Does anyone think DL
wants them on the field?

Or that Tomlin want them on the field?

feltdizz
12-27-2014, 10:14 AM
DL probably wants both on the field if healthy. I don't want either of them in a uniform again.

I love Troy, I like Ike... but they are done.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-27-2014, 10:35 AM
I agree on both counts, wonder what Tomlin will allow.

bostonsteeler
12-27-2014, 10:36 AM
DL probably wants both on the field if healthy. I don't want either of them in a uniform again.

I fear you're right, and I agree with you. I don't want either of them suiting up again, but DL may just yank it on us. Ike is easily the worst CB we have. Troy is like having a hole in the field.

SteelBuckeye
12-27-2014, 10:52 AM
I fear you're right, and I agree with you. I don't want either of them suiting up again, but DL may just yank it on us. Ike is easily the worst CB we have. Troy is like having a hole in the field.

Literally, because when Troy is on the field now he is limited to playing a gimmick position of linebacker/strong safety hybrid. He is almost never back in deep coverage and there really IS a hole in the defensive backfield. I wonder how much of Mitchell's poor play earlier came from feeling like he had to or having to cover the entire field because Troy just isn't any help back there? I think it's more than a coincidence that his play has "improved" since Allen got back there giving him a true second safety to help in coverage.

Iron City Inc.
12-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Sadly I agree.

fezziwig
12-27-2014, 10:03 PM

Best said.................... !

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Troy and Ike will both most likely be inactive...

fezziwig
12-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Hawaiinsteel, I was listening to the fan yesterday and not sure if it was the DJ's opinion or if he had inside information but, he said one of the two will be starting. I can't remember if he said if it was Ike or Troy. I have a question, is Ike playing with a cast on his arm ?

fordfixer
12-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Hawaiinsteel, I was listening to the fan yesterday and not sure if it was the DJ's opinion or if he had inside information but, he said one of the two will be starting. I can't remember if he said if it was Ike or Troy. I have a question, is Ike playing with a cast on his arm ?
No he has never been able to catch the ball............oh wait you said arm not hands. Never mind :oops:

fezziwig
12-28-2014, 11:18 AM
no he has never been able to catch the ball............oh wait you said arm not hands. Never mind :oops:

lmao ......... !!

Shoe
12-28-2014, 07:44 PM
I hope both will be available to play. There is sentiment that Troy is thinking retirement at this point. We know Harrison has already said he is. Hopefully, Ike is feeling the same way. Now, I'm not saying it is good to have three retirees on the field at the same time--it isn't.

But I think it is valuable, to have guys with that extra sense of urgency. I remember guys like Aaron Smith, Keisel in the last year or two, Peezy always... who would give impassioned Saturday night speeches. We remember the "win for the Bus" year. I think these things can galvanize teams.

feltdizz
12-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Ike and Troy can give speeches on Saturday. Aaron Smith was a shell and a wasted roster spot the last 2 years. Somw times you have to save vets from embarrassing themselves. Do you really want to see Ike get burned for 200 yards again? That's selfish.

JH is still balling and when JH asked his son to tell reporters if he wanted him to retire last week his son denied it. JH had to tell him to hush. I wouldn't be mad if we resigned him to another year.

If Troy and Ike were playing like JH then I wouldn't have a problem... but why would you want these 2 to embarrass themselves in primetime.

pittpete
12-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Player
Position
Status
Comments
Justin Brown WR Inactive
Clifton Geathers DT Inactive
Chris Hubbard G Inactive
Landry Jones QB Inactive
Michael Palmer TE Inactive
Troy Polamalu SS Inactive
Ike Taylor CB Inactive

Shoe
12-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Ike and Troy can give speeches on Saturday. Aaron Smith was a shell and a wasted roster spot the last 2 years. Somw times you have to save vets from embarrassing themselves. Do you really want to see Ike get burned for 200 yards again? That's selfish.

JH is still balling and when JH asked his son to tell reporters he wanted him to retire last week his son denied it and JH had to tell him to hush.

If Troy and Ike were playing like JH then I wouldn't have a problem... but why would you want these 2 to embarrass themselves in primetime.

Note: I didn't say I wanted them (particularly Ike) out there, as key cogs. Harrison still can. Polamalu, is a guy who I still think can contribute in a limited role. I suppose the same with Ike. My point is: there is a lot to be said for experience and urgency, this time of year. Whereas a young guy might just take for granted that he has plenty of more chances over his career, guys like Ike and Troy know this is it. They ain't ever going to play at Heinz Field as Steelers anymore. This is it.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-29-2014, 01:08 AM
I would keep Taylor and Polamalu on the sideline (except in case of injuries). Team is playing better without them, IMO.

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Note: I didn't say I wanted them (particularly Ike) out there, as key cogs. Harrison still can. Polamalu, is a guy who I still think can contribute in a limited role. I suppose the same with Ike. My point is: there is a lot to be said for experience and urgency, this time of year. Whereas a young guy might just take for granted that he has plenty of more chances over his career, guys like Ike and Troy know this is it. They ain't ever going to play at Heinz Field as Steelers anymore. This is it.

Its the exact opposite. The next man up NEVER takes his playing time for granted. They always play with a sense of urgency.

Ike made his money, Troy made his money... even if they wanted to play with a sense of urgency their bodies won't let them due to their age.

Our D has played much better these last 2 weeks and a large part of it is because Ike and Troy aren't on the field.

papillon
12-29-2014, 10:34 AM
I would keep Taylor and Polamalu on the sideline (except in case of injuries). Team is playing better without them, IMO.

Michael Irvin on NFL Gameday Final said (kind of under his breath) that Taylor and Polamalu might best be kept on the bench and at this point. I don't see any reason other than injury to play them, particularly Ike.

Even though the INTs last night were both direct results of the Bengals and not any great play by McCain, he was in good position each time. The Steelers tackling last night was exceptional, they limited check downs to minimum gains, attacked the LOS on short yardage and didn't allow much YAC. The secondary played well, I thought.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 10:37 AM
I think McCain gets credit for the first INT. Green stopped his route because McCain ran it better tha he did...

papillon
12-29-2014, 10:47 AM
I think McCain gets credit for the first INT. Green stopped his route because McCain ran it better than he did...

Difficult to argue that stance for sure, it almost appeared that McCain was in the huddle in Green wasn't.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Difficult to argue that stance for sure, it almost appeared that McCain was in the huddle in Green wasn't.

Pappy

His footwork and technique on that play was amazing...

bostonsteeler
12-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I think McCain gets credit for the first INT. Green stopped his route because McCain ran it better tha he did...

Certainly looked that way. He was in perfect position.

papillon
12-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Ok, I concede, that play was more a great play by McCain than a bad play by the Bengals! :p

Pappy

buccoray61
12-29-2014, 11:13 AM

I think you have to give a lot of credit to Carnell Lake. He has taken this patch work secondary,which was the weakest unit on the team by far, and has them playing good football

ikestops85
12-29-2014, 01:38 PM
We should probably give the senile old defensive coordinator some credit for his game plan against AJ Green. Using Will Allen as an under guy held Green in check from getting the big plays.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-29-2014, 01:41 PM
McCain interceptions last night: 2.
Ike interceptions over 10 years? ....

I think no one would lose money betting that if Ike had played last night, those two pics would merely have been incompletions.

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 02:38 PM
McCain interceptions last night: 2.
Ike interceptions over 10 years? ....

I think no one would lose money betting that if Ike had played last night, those two pics would merely have been incompletions.

The way Ike was playing this year... Green would have 2 TD's on those plays.

papillon
12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
We should probably give the senile old defensive coordinator some credit for his game plan against AJ Green. Using Will Allen as an under guy held Green in check from getting the big plays.

Not to mention, did you hear what Jeremy Hill told Collinsworth prior to the game? Collinsworth asked him what makes the Steelers so difficult to play against and his response was that they are so smart on defense that they make changes from one drive to the next to take away plays that were working. He said, they adjust quicker than any team they play against. Go figure.

Pappy

raycafan
12-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Appears there is a high chance they suit up, both were full participates in Weds practice. I wonder who will sit since neither of them play special teams and those bodies are very important

7 UP
12-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Appears there is a high chance they suit up, both were full participates in Weds practice. I wonder who will sit since neither of them play special teams and those bodies are very important

I for one hope they suit up in NFL standard issue gray sweatsuits.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2014, 10:38 PM
I for hope they suit up in NFL standard issue gray sweatsuits.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/716/1962/1600/duce.0.jpg

Shawn
01-01-2015, 01:12 AM
You know what I find a bit odd. The VAST majority of fans on FB are saying to play Troy. While I must admit, I could see Troy leaving it all on the field against the Ravens knowing this is his last season. But, this D is playing so well right now.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-01-2015, 11:19 AM
You know what I find a bit odd. The VAST majority of fans on FB are saying to play Troy.

Probably mostly desperate Ravens fans.

7 UP
01-01-2015, 11:51 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/716/1962/1600/duce.0.jpg

The only Steeler to ever wear the sideline gray as well as Deuce, was Kendrell Bell. LOL

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Dale Lolley @dlolleyor -

It appears that Troy Polamalu, who has practiced fully past two days, will start against Ravens for #Steelers. Last game at Heinz Field?

https://twitter.com/dlolleyor

SteelBuckeye
01-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Kovacevic says the same. Says that Troy has taken all the first team snaps in practice this week.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2015, 12:10 AM
Dale Lolley @dlolleyor -

It appears that Troy Polamalu, who has practiced fully past two days, will start against Ravens for #Steelers.

https://twitter.com/dlolleyor

Guess the Facebook crowd is gonna be happy.

We all love Troy...and I understand it would be a terribly difficult thing to put him on the bench...but come on, Tomlin, you gotta do the right thing for the team.

Flasteel
01-02-2015, 01:04 AM
I think a lot of people are selling Troy Polamalu a little short. I agree that he has lost a step, but I think he's got enough left in the tank to positively contribute to the defense. If the coaches are making the call to start him, then it should tell us they feel the same way. I'm going to trust the coaches.

pittpete
01-02-2015, 01:43 AM
If it becomes a runfest mudbowl having Troy helps us.

Slapstick
01-02-2015, 02:00 AM
I think Troy has been playing hurt and it has hurt the team. If he's healthy, maybe he is the best choice...

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Steelers notebook: Troy Polamalu appears to be a go vs. Ravens

January 2, 2015

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At his Tuesday news conference, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he would “do what’s right” when it came to the decision to play Troy Polamalu, who has missed the final two regular-season games with a knee injury.

If practice is any indication this week it appears Tomlin believes what’s right is starting Polamalu Saturday night when the Steelers play the Baltimore Ravens in an AFC wild-card game at Heinz Field.

Polamalu practiced with the first-team defense for a second consecutive day. After practice, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he expects Polamalu to play against the Ravens.

When asked if there was a difference in what he gets from Will Allen and Polamalu, LeBeau responded: “There is only one Troy Polamalu, but Will Allen is a very good football player. He had a great game in that championship game [against the Bengals]. It was one of the better games he’s had for us. I’ll take them both in there. We have some good safeties.”

In Polamalu’s absence, the Steelers have tightened their pass coverage, especially on big plays down the field, with Allen filling in at strong safety.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201501020061

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Steelers say calls to bench veteran defensive back Polamalu 'absurd'

By Mark Kaboly Steelers Reporter
Thursday, Jan. 1, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

Are the Steelers a better defense without Troy Polamalu?

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau only could muster a snicker. Cornerback William Gay blurted, “Ha!”

Free safety Mike Mitchell had more than one word, none of them flattering, for whoever is buying into the ever-growing narrative that the Steelers have to steer away from playing Polamalu in Saturday's AFC wild-card game against the Ravens.

“That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard,” Mitchell said. “That's absurd. It just shows the disrespect that some people have, and they have no clue about our game.”

Polamalu is expected to play Saturday in the Steelers' first playoff game in three years, but it's unsure what his role will be. He likely will regain his starting strong safety position, but it is unclear whether Will Allen will take away any of Polamalu's snaps.

A couple of years ago, that might have seemed absurd. It doesn't now.

Polamalu has missed the past two games and four of the last seven while dealing with multiple injuries, including a sore knee. He practiced last week before being a surprise inactive against the Bengals.

Polamalu hasn't shown up on the injury report this week, and he has been taking the majority of the first-ream reps, and according to Mitchell, has “looked fantastic.”

“I thought he was ready to go last week,” Mitchell said. “It totally shocked me that he didn't play.”

Coach Mike Tomlin fanned speculation earlier this week when he was noncommittal when asked if Polamalu would get his starting job back when healthy.

“There are complexities to these things, and we're going to deal with them on a case-by-case basis at the appropriate time,” Tomlin said.

It's hard to argue the Steelers defense has been better without Polamalu — at least over the past two games.

The defense kept the Chiefs out of the end zone in a 20-12 win, and it limited the Bengals offense during a 27-17 division-clinching win.

A lot of that had to do with Allen's play.

“Will Allen is a very good football player,” LeBeau said. “He had a great game last week. It was one of the best games he's had with us.”

Polamalu was not in the locker room Thursday during both interview sessions.

Polamalu, 33, isn't the same player he was when winning NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, but he does bring a wealth of big-game experience. His 14 playoff games are tied for most on the team with Ben Roethlisberger and Ike Taylor. He has also had some of his most memorable games against the Ravens.

Polamalu intercepted Joe Flacco in the waning moments of the 2008 AFC championship game and returned it for a touchdown that sent the Steelers to Super Bowl XLIII. His sack/forced fumble of Flacco late in a 10-6 game in 2010 led to the game-winning touchdown.

“I remember growing up watching Troy pick off Joe Flacco and returning them for touchdowns,” Mitchell said. “Those are the kind of plays Troy makes, and you lose that when he isn't on the field.”

Polamalu, like the rest of the secondary, has had problems defending the deep pass.

But, two of the four longest receptions it has allowed — 80 yards to Nate Washington and 67 yards to T.J. Graham — were with Polamalu sidelined. Polamalu is fourth on the team with 59 tackles.

“He has that uncanny ability, that God-sent gift to diagnose plays and make the plays that other guys are afraid to make,” Mitchell said.

“The only thing I can think of when he isn't on the field is that I know exactly where Will Allen is going to be at all times,” Mitchell said. “That doesn't mean it's a better defense. It just says Will does it more by the book.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7461265-74/polamalu-game-steelers#axzz3NgZYDaXb

feltdizz
01-02-2015, 02:46 PM
“The only thing I can think of when he isn't on the field is that I know exactly where Will Allen is going to be at all times,” Mitchell said. “That doesn't mean it's a better defense. It just says Will does it more by the book"

There it is...

papillon
01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
There it is...

There it is and I wish it was the way it is going to be Saturday night. Mitchell and Lebeau in my mind are only saying the right things because its Troy and you don't say anything that could even be remotely construed as disrespectful to a player of Polamalu's history and standing within the organization. I wish he were staying on the sideline again the defense has been working well together the past three games. I hate breaking up that mojo.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Troy just needs to limit his freelancing...we can split the difference by playing a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1 with Troy in a robber coverage...

papillon
01-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Troy just needs to limit his freelancing...we can split the difference by playing a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1 with Troy in a robber coverage...

If Troy were in his prime I'd fine with him coming off injury and playing in this game, however, he isn't that player any longer and Allen and Mitchell seem to have something working between them, it isn't great, but whatever "it" is has limited big plays for the past 3 or 4 games. I would love to see Troy come in and be good in this game, because he deserves to go out that way, but, man its tough breaking up something that has been working for a month.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-02-2015, 05:31 PM
That's assuming Troy is the reason it wasn't working...that may not have been the case...

papillon
01-02-2015, 05:34 PM
That's assuming Troy is the reason it wasn't working...that may not have been the case...

I'm not blaming Troy at all just saying that when something is working, unless, you're absolutely positive that you can improve it by making a change you leave it alone. And, since, Troy certainly isn't the player he was 6 years ago, I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. We'll see what happens in about 28 hours.

Pappy