PDA

View Full Version : Defense Improving just in time

Sword
12-26-2014, 11:33 AM
I hope are defense will be just as good as they were last week.
maybe better with Troy back.....

please gay don't blow the deep balls!!!

feltdizz
12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
IMO we are better without Troy.

Harrison is the only vet who has something left on D.

fordfixer
12-26-2014, 12:15 PM
IMO we are better without Troy.

Harrison is the only vet who has something left on D.

I hate to say it but you may be right

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Is Ike suiting up?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Labriola and Prisuto on Agree to Disagree on Steelers.com both said that, though at the beginning of the year they never thought it could possibly come to pass, they are beginning to trust the defense.

We will see in just a few days. In a way I hope Green shows up ... I think we will be so pumped going into this game that if he doesn't it will be like getting a changeup when we're ready to swing at a fastball. If you know what I mean!

Slapstick
12-26-2014, 01:53 PM
please gay don't blow the deep balls!!!

Must....not...laugh....

pittpete
12-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Is Ike suiting up?

I really hope not...
Time to say goodbye my friend.
If Troy isn't at least close to being 100% then he shouldn't dress either

skyhawk
12-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Green is foamin at the mouth!

Hope our CBs play up and press and make some plays like they did vs Chiefs!

NorthCoast
12-26-2014, 05:10 PM
It's no secret the defensive success has come with the improvement in run defense. The Steelers defense is currently ranked 6th in the NFL in opponent rush yards/gm. But, in the last 3 games, they have held opponents to less than 75yds/gm. This bodes well for the game Sunday where the Bengals typically are almost dead split on run vs pass. Make them one-dimensional and Dalton's tendency for mistakes will only increase.

Oviedo
12-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Less than one-half of the defense is solid with Timmons, Heyward, Harrison and to a lesser extent Worilds and Tuitt. Shazier and Jones have shown little to nothing this year at LB. The secondary is a mess. For this team to have any chance beyond one and done in the play offs the first four to five mentioned are going to need to play out of their minds.

AJ Green is probably planning for celebrating his next career day. Would not be surprised to see the Bumgals challenge the secondary from the opening snap to get a big score early and take the crowd out of the game.

Slapstick
12-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Just hit Green in the arm again. Simple.

At any rate, he had 200+ yard receiving last time and they still lost...

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Steelers defense no longer sole key to deep playoff runs

December 26, 2014

https://www.post-gazette.com/image/2014/12/24/ca0,0,2242,1495/20141223ng-Bell2-1.jpg

Running back Le’Veon Bell, left, blocks Josh Harris in practice Tuesday on the South Side. The Steelers are attempting to make a Super Bowl run behind the strength of their offense, instead of the usual reliance on defense.

Steelers fans have been conditioned to believe an NFL team can't reach the Super Bowl without a great defense. After all, the Steelers won four Super Bowl titles in 1970s behind the Steel Curtain defense and two more behind top-rated Dick LeBeau-coached defenses in the 2000s.

But, in the modern-day NFL, getting to or winning a Super Bowl can happen without a dominating defense. It also can happen with a defense that ranks among the worst in the league.

The Steelers will be in the playoffs for the first time since 2011, and their return to the postseason comes with a twist. The Steelers enter the final week of the regular season with the No. 2 offense and the No. 20th-rated defense.

It hasn't been their recipe for playoff success, but plenty of other teams have made it to or won Super Bowl titles in the past 10 years with statistically similar defense. In some cases, teams with some downright bad defenses reached the Super Bowl.

Getting defensive

The past 10 Super Bowl participants with their total defense ranking (champion boldfaced):
2013: Seattle (No. 1), Denver (No. 19)
2012: Baltimore (No. 17), San Francisco (No. 3)
2011: New York Giants (No. 27), New England (No. 31)
2010: Green Bay (No. 5), Steelers (No. 2)
2009: New Orleans (No. 25), Indianapolis (No. 19)
2008: Steelers (No. 1), Arizona (No. 19)
2007: New York Giants (No. 7), New England (No. 4)
2006: Indianapolis (No. 21), Chicago (No. 5)
2005: Steelers (No. 4), Seattle (No. 16)
2004: New England (No. 9), Philadelphia (No. 10)

The best example came in 2011 when the New York Giants beat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI. The Giants had the 27th-ranked defense and the Patriots defense ranked 31st.

Other examples preceded it. The New Orleans Saints won Super Bowl XLIV after the 2009 season with a defense that ranked 25th. The Indianapolis Colts defense was No. 21 when it won Super Bowl XLI after the 2006 season and the Baltimore Ravens won Super Bowl XLVII after the 2012 season with the No. 17 defense.

"I think when you start looking at statistics you can kind of get lost in that," said Steelers receiver Lance Moore, who was on the Saints in 2009. "Every game will be different. There is no telling each week which offense and which defense will show up. Obviously, you prepare and hope the good one shows up. Just because the statistics say you do something poorly doesn't mean it will happen like that in the playoffs."

The Steelers will attempt to flip their script this season.

The Steelers have been to eight Super Bowls, and their lowest-rated defense was No. 4 in 1975 and 2005. In every other season they played for or won the Super Bowl, they were first, second or third in total defense.

The Steelers had the No. 1 offense in the league in 1979, but more often than not the offense was much more average statistically, especially in the recent Super Bowl appearances. They had the No. 15, No. 22 and No. 14 offenses in their three most recent Super Bowl seasons (2005, 2008 and 2010).

One common trait among the recent teams to win Super Bowl titles without a highly ranked defense was better defensive play in the postseason. The 2011 Giants, for example, allowed 56 points in four playoff games (14 points per game) en route to the title.

The 2009 Saints got hot at the right time and held the Peyton Manning-led Colts to 17 points in the Super Bowl.

The Steelers hope their defense is coming around at the right time, too. Recently, there have been signs suggesting they are trending in the right direction.

In the playoff-clinching win Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs, the defense did not allow a touchdown and forced the league's No. 2-rated red-zone offense to kick four field goals. In the past three games, the defense is allowing only 17.6 points per game.

"Guys are getting better," defensive end Cam Heyward said. "You really don't see as many mistakes. You don't see the execution mistakes. Guys are buying in and trusting more, and we're becoming a better team. The offense, defense and special teams, we're all working together with more cohesiveness. When we're doing that, we can click a lot more and we can be more successful."

Cornerback Ike Taylor, who earned Super Bowl rings in 2005 and 2008, likes what he has seen from the younger defensive players.

"The time is ticking with this defense," Taylor said. "We've been through our ups and downs during the season. At some point in time, you have to be able to stand up. During this month of December you have to be on the up. You can't be inconsistent.

"And so far, man, the 'D' has been on the up. Guys have been making plays. Regardless of what you do in life, confidence means a lot. A lot of the new guys are playing with confidence, and it shows."

Whether they can ride that wave into the playoffs remains to be seen, but they have won seven of nine entering the finale against the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday night, when the AFC North Division title and a home game in the first round of the playoffs will be on the line.

"With this team, we've seen the bad, we've seen the ugly, but we haven't seen the great yet," Heyward said. "Hopefully, we can keep improving every week and give something special to our fans."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/12/26/Steelers-defense-no-longer-sole-key-to-deep-playoff-runs/stories/201412260088

Snatch98
12-27-2014, 02:06 AM
For all those talking about Green potentially having a career day....what happened the last time he had a big one? Ahhhh I remember, the Bengals got their asses handed to them. Green can go for 200 for all i care. If the Bengals can't slow our offense it's not going to matter AND our defense is showing up.

JDSteeler
12-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Less than one-half of the defense is solid with Timmons, Heyward, Harrison and to a lesser extent Worilds and Tuitt. Shazier and Jones have shown little to nothing this year at LB. The secondary is a mess. For this team to have any chance beyond one and done in the play offs the first four to five mentioned are going to need to play out of their minds.

AJ Green is probably planning for celebrating his next career day. Would not be surprised to see the Bumgals challenge the secondary from the opening snap to get a big score early and take the crowd out of the game.

Ovi, your posts are pretty accurate for the most-part, but wow, your way, way off on this!

I accept that this Steelers D is not perfect, but neither is 100% of the other defenses out there, including the Seaskanks!

Let me start with the front 7, first...

93, 91, 90, 97, 92, 94, 51/98. All of these guys have stepped up their game!! I will agree I want to see more from 50 and 95,
but you are essentially asking alot from a rookie, and a second yr rookie, both returning from injury. But 51, and 98 are a
surprise! I'm not disappointed.

You cannot deny this group has improved since week 1, and I see them only getting better!!

The primary objective is to stop the run, and THEY HAVE STOPPED IT. Teams are not gashing us. Their energy is sky high, and
they have been getting to the passer. Pressures, hits on the QB, and sacks are all UP!! I love the depth on the defense, especially with
the LB's!!

With regards to the secondary, its been bad, really bad at times. As I see it, if the front 7 can get the pressure they have been getting,
it will make their job easier. If they can just limit the big plays, tackle the catch, and make a play (intercept a couple balls), they might
just be solid enough to allow our offense to do its thing! I like the youngsters, 25, and 41. 20 and 22 has been playing their best football.
We just need 23, 24, and 43 to provide that knowledge from experience and leadership.

Dont forget, bro, the best defense is a balanced offense! This offense is so dangerous, because they are explosive, AND control the
ball. If the offense can put up TD's rather than FG's, look the f**k out, the Steelers are that team nobody wants to play!!

Frooothing at the mouth, like a crazed dog!!!!

Here We Go Steeeeeelers, Here We Go!!!!

JD

raycafan
12-27-2014, 01:03 PM
The other thing about this D that I like is their tackling. They have gotten so much better with it, they rarely let player go for the extra yards. I noticed this in the last Bengal game, they were all getting to the tackle and stopping them were they stood. Except for a few diving out he window attempts from some of the corners, the tackling has been getting pretty darn good.

Mr.wizard
12-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Number 2 ranked offense huh? Man I took some heat on here from some people, for saying this offense was "explosive".

feltdizz
12-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Number 2 ranked offense huh? Man I took some heat on here from some people, for saying this offense was "explosive".

yes you did!!!! You were 100% correct.

This board can he brutal at times when someone says something positive about this team...lol

feltdizz
12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Ovi, your posts are pretty accurate for the most-part, but wow, your way, way off on this!

I accept that this Steelers D is not perfect, but neither is 100% of the other defenses out there, including the Seaskanks!

Let me start with the front 7, first...

93, 91, 90, 97, 92, 94, 51/98. All of these guys have stepped up their game!! I will agree I want to see more from 50 and 95,
but you are essentially asking alot from a rookie, and a second yr rookie, both returning from injury. But 51, and 98 are a
surprise! I'm not disappointed.

You cannot deny this group has improved since week 1, and I see them only getting better!!

The primary objective is to stop the run, and THEY HAVE STOPPED IT. Teams are not gashing us. Their energy is sky high, and
they have been getting to the passer. Pressures, hits on the QB, and sacks are all UP!! I love the depth on the defense, especially with
the LB's!!

With regards to the secondary, its been bad, really bad at times. As I see it, if the front 7 can get the pressure they have been getting,
it will make their job easier. If they can just limit the big plays, tackle the catch, and make a play (intercept a couple balls), they might
just be solid enough to allow our offense to do its thing! I like the youngsters, 25, and 41. 20 and 22 has been playing their best football.
We just need 23, 24, and 43 to provide that knowledge from experience and leadership.

Dont forget, bro, the best defense is a balanced offense! This offense is so dangerous, because they are explosive, AND control the
ball. If the offense can put up TD's rather than FG's, look the f**k out, the Steelers are that team nobody wants to play!!

Frooothing at the mouth, like a crazed dog!!!!

Here We Go Steeeeeelers, Here We Go!!!!

JD

yes, unfortunately this D suffered from a bad case of vetaligus. I made that word up but it is a sickness where we keep vets like Ike and Troy on the field too long because they know the D.

Our D was lights out last week and guess who wasn't in uniform? Ike, Troy and Keisel. I appreciate their contributions but the youth movement is in full effect. JH gets a pass because he didn't get a hat until he was 30...lol.

I wasn't a fan of DL this year because I think he held onto a few vets too long but if last week's D shows up again.. it may be one of the best coaching jobs he has ever done given the injuries and transition we are going through.

Mr.wizard
12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Now as far as our Defense goes, they don't have to be great or play out of their minds for us to be successful. Holding teams to field goals and forcing a turnover here and there should be enough for us to win with our offense. Harrison and Worlids where successful rushing the passer last game because of the push our D line was getting up the middle, not allowing for the QB to step up. When the QB cant step up against those edge rushes it becomes real tough to throw the ball down the field, if we can generate that type of rush against teams in the playoffs, we will beat anyone on any field.

bostonsteeler
12-28-2014, 11:33 AM
yes, unfortunately this D suffered from a bad case of vetaligus. I made that word up but it is a sickness where we keep vets like Ike and Troy on the field too long because they know the D.

That word deserves to be in the Steelers dictionary :D:D:D

I don't trust DL. Im not going to make any assumptions about what rubbish he may or not pull out this game. I'll be glad if the D is good, but Im banking on the O.

Shoe
12-28-2014, 11:47 AM
For all those talking about Green potentially having a career day....what happened the last time he had a big one? Ahhhh I remember, the Bengals got their asses handed to them. Green can go for 200 for all i care. If the Bengals can't slow our offense it's not going to matter AND our defense is showing up.

You're acting like 200 yards is inconsequential to winning. Just because they lost the game where Green got 200, doesn't make it a recipe for failure (for them). If all you told me about today's game was that AJ Green got 200 yards... I'd say that we probably lost the game.

NorthCoast
12-28-2014, 11:47 AM
That word deserves to be in the Steelers dictionary :D:D:D

I don't trust DL. Im not going to make any assumptions about what rubbish he may or not pull out this game. I'll be glad if the D is good, but Im banking on the O.

There is a reason why the Steelers stay competitive just about every single season. Having that veteran presence is the big difference between the Steelers and teams like the Browns. (Look at Manziel again in trouble with the team this week... no veteran leadership to put him in his place.)
I truly believe having veteran players around that have won games (and SBs) in the NFL brings so much intangibles that it is not necessarily what they do on the field that counts. The key is to get that vet at reasonable salaries so the team can sign decent young talent. The Steelers generally have done a decent job with this.

bostonsteeler
12-28-2014, 12:54 PM
There is a reason why the Steelers stay competitive just about every single season. Having that veteran presence is the big difference between the Steelers and teams like the Browns. (Look at Manziel again in trouble with the team this week... no veteran leadership to put him in his place.)
I truly believe having veteran players around that have won games (and SBs) in the NFL brings so much intangibles that it is not necessarily what they do on the field that counts. The key is to get that vet at reasonable salaries so the team can sign decent young talent. The Steelers generally have done a decent job with this.

I have no problem with vets, provided they aren't serious liabilities. Our vets have brought continuity and value over the years. JH and even Kiesel brought value this year. Ike and Troy were liabilities. At that point they are incapable of contributing, even by their sheer presence. If they must be on the team, they could be hired in some other non-playing capacity (e.g. Peezy).

SS Laser
12-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Have Troy do just as Will Allen does and he will play way better. He is still trying to do to much at this stage of his career. Maybe he can not play vanilla SS after all the moving around? Or he is just not a good vanilla SS. He needed to move around to be the great player he was.

RobinCole
12-28-2014, 02:49 PM
I suspect that Polamalu is no dummy and can effectively play vanilla SS-style if that's what he's assigned to do. Provided he's healthy. If not healthy he can't do anything effectively.

Oviedo
12-28-2014, 03:04 PM
I have no problem with vets, provided they aren't serious liabilities. Our vets have brought continuity and value over the years. JH and even Kiesel brought value this year. Ike and Troy were liabilities. At that point they are incapable of contributing, even by their sheer presence. If they must be on the team, they could be hired in some other non-playing capacity (e.g. Peezy).
When vets consume more salary cap than their proportional contributions on the field then that is a serious problem. That was the problem with holding on to Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and James Farrior far to long in the past and that is the problem with Ike and Troy now. The Steelers use to be experts about knowing when to let guys go. They have lost that the past few years.

SS Laser
12-28-2014, 03:17 PM
When vets consume more salary cap than their proportional contributions on the field then that is a serious problem. That was the problem with holding on to Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and James Farrior far to long in the past and that is the problem with Ike and Troy now. The Steelers use to be experts about knowing when to let guys go. They have lost that the past few years. Not sure I can agree with the Steelers ever knew when to let OLD players walk. The ones I remember walking under Cowher were said to be to expensive to keep? Some were let go after a bigger injury. Now I will agree some contracts ended up bloated when the Steelers keep players toward the end of the back loaded contracts but some of those players had no replacement. The number one failure to make this defense look "bad" at the end of the year is just bad luck in the draft for a few years on D. Also not any luck finding quality in the late rds like they have in the past. But there are a bunch of defenses giving up yards and points over this season looking bad one week and good the next. Keep pounding that drum Ovi I enjoy it. :) We understand you want a 4-3! :) Just don't think the Steelers agree with you. :)

feltdizz
12-28-2014, 04:10 PM
We could bring Casey Hampton back tomorrow and he would be an upgrade at NT. I agree on Smith, Ike and Troy but Hampton was never a problem on the field.

bostonsteeler
12-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Well, the D played lights out today, but for one drive.

Slapstick
12-29-2014, 02:56 AM
Just hit Green in the arm again. Simple.

Or, you could knock his @$$ out...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-29-2014, 09:36 AM
In all seriousness, what do people think is the main reason the defense has become so much better this year?

I have an idea it's because a) we have more cohesiveness and play more disciplined *because* Troy is not suited up, and of course b) our coverage is better without Ike (MCCain, etc.).

*If* that's right, it does make it harder to call for DL's retirement, doesn't it ... as the DC of a rapidly improving unit ...?

bostonsteeler
12-29-2014, 09:51 AM
The D tightened up these past 3 games. Before that it was a sieve..
Concidentally, Ike and Pola have been out for much of the good run..

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Ike Shouldn't get a helmet unless a CB goes down. He doesn't have any value on gameday given where he is at. Gay, McCain, Blake are all ahead of him now. I haven't seen enough snaps from BW Webb but he could be ahead of him too. What made Taylor so good was his athletic ability for his size & he was good at run support. He wasn't a great technician...He didn't have great hands to be a playmaker...He didn't have great instincts. He just had great athletic ability. When that leaves...You are done. He can be a great leader & motivator on the sideline with Kiesel. In this new season of playoffs..It will be a big help for the youth.

Troy can not do what Allen does. I have been saying this for a long time...Troy is not good in anything but a LB drop in pass coverage. He lost his suddenness & his speed. He isn't fluid anymore...He is stiff. He is a stiff safety...More like a LB now in space. If Troy didn't have extraordinary instincts he would be retired. His instincts have kept his game a float but his athletic decline has overrun his instincts. The further you get away from the ball...The quicker age has an impact. Front 7 guys can lose a step or two & still play this game. Once the muscles & knees start to tear up...They too hit the cliff. I don't know if Troy should get a helmet when healthy but I imagine he will. I do know there are 2 safeties playing better than him right now. I would also bet if you sat in the bleachers...Tucked in that hair & put him on the field in a plain jersey with Golden & Shark...There may be 4 safeties playing better. The others play ST too.

Saying this about Ike & Troy is just the nature of the beast. Great All Time Steelers but others have came to sit at the table. Luv them both but Last Ride!

The defense is getting better because the young guys are starting to understand things better...That is for certain a part of the equation. The bigger reason this defense is getting better is the collective thing you can't teach. Speed. Athleticism. Endurance. YOUTH! Windows are closing about as fast as I have seen in a long time. False steps are being recovered by athleticism. These guys are young & hungry to stay on the field & to be honest...There is NO REASON to take them off. They are making the plays the vets have failed to make over the last couple years. The increased pressure on the QB over the last several games is obvious. If any Coach decides to gear down by putting a guy on the field because he is healthy & the name on the back of his jersey...It will hurt them & they won't have "next week" not to make the same mistake.

I was hard on Harrison before he left & would be the first to jump on him again because of his decline...But he is the only 30+ "vet starter" that has shown any reason to stay on the field if they can continue to limit his snap counts. JJ is limited in his pass rush. Moats showed he could do his job. I have no problem with Harrison starting but you have to rotate in JJ & Moats to keep his snap count down. Do that & you could have a Harrison that gives you some splash plays because he doesn't wear down. They have a good thing going right now in the LB rotation inside & out. You could see the "freshness" created by the rotation is having an impact deep into games. It will be an asset here in the playoffs because they could rotate in fresh bodies across the board for coverage packages.

papillon
12-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Ike Shouldn't get a helmet unless a CB goes down. He doesn't have any value on gameday given where he is at. Gay, McCain, Blake are all ahead of him now. I haven't seen enough snaps from BW Webb but he could be ahead of him too. What made Taylor so good was his athletic ability for his size & he was good at run support. He wasn't a great technician...He didn't have great hands to be a playmaker...He didn't have great instincts. He just had great athletic ability. When that leaves...You are done. He can be a great leader & motivator on the sideline with Kiesel. In this new season of playoffs..It will be a big help for the youth.

Troy can not do what Allen does. I have been saying this for a long time...Troy is not good in anything but a LB drop in pass coverage. He lost his suddenness & his speed. He isn't fluid anymore...He is stiff. He is a stiff safety...More like a LB now in space. If Troy didn't have extraordinary instincts he would be retired. His instincts have kept his game a float but his athletic decline has overrun his instincts. The further you get away from the ball...The quicker age has an impact. Front 7 guys can lose a step or two & still play this game. Once the muscles & knees start to tear up...They too hit the cliff. I don't know if Troy should get a helmet when healthy but I imagine he will. I do know there are 2 safeties playing better than him right now. I would also bet if you sat in the bleachers...Tucked in that hair & put him on the field in a plain jersey with Golden & Shark...There may be 4 safeties playing better. The others play ST too.

Saying this about Ike & Troy is just the nature of the beast. Great All Time Steelers but others have came to sit at the table. Luv them both but Last Ride!

The defense is getting better because the young guys are starting to understand things better...That is for certain a part of the equation. The bigger reason this defense is getting better is the collective thing you can't teach. Speed. Athleticism. Endurance. YOUTH! Windows are closing about as fast as I have seen in a long time. False steps are being recovered by athleticism. These guys are young & hungry to stay on the field & to be honest...There is NO REASON to take them off. They are making the plays the vets have failed to make over the last couple years. The increased pressure on the QB over the last several games is obvious. If any Coach decides to gear down by putting a guy on the field because he is healthy & the name on the back of his jersey...It will hurt them & they won't have "next week" not to make the same mistake.

I was hard on Harrison before he left & would be the first to jump on him again because of his decline...But he is the only 30+ "vet starter" that has shown any reason to stay on the field if they can continue to limit his snap counts. JJ is limited in his pass rush. Moats showed he could do his job. I have no problem with Harrison starting but you have to rotate in JJ & Moats to keep his snap count down. Do that & you could have a Harrison that gives you some splash plays because he doesn't wear down. They have a good thing going right now in the LB rotation inside & out. You could see the "freshness" created by the rotation is having an impact deep into games. It will be an asset here in the playoffs because they could rotate in fresh bodies across the board for coverage packages.

Agreed, on everything here, except, I don't think Harrison took a break until late in the third (IIRC), so it seems he can still be a good to very good OLB in this defense. Certainly at his age he will wear down over a season, so limiting his snap count will be a good thing. He took on one of the best LTs in the NFL last night and did a good to great job, not much pressure, but he contained well and no one got outside of him, his instincts are still good he diagnosed a coulple screens and quick hitters rather quickly and helped keep yards to a minimum each time.

I do have a question for you, because you know way more about Xs and Os than I do. Last night it seemed when the Steelers rushed three and dropped 8, they were getting really good pressure on Dalton, but the problem was they didn't have the 4th guy to help keep him contained, the rush collapsed the pocket, but Dalton was able to escape once to his right and once to his left to make big plays (the shovel pass and a 19 yarder to Green, I think). You would think getting pressure with 3 would be a good thing, but it turned out not to be. What should have happened on these couple plays? Should the DEs be more concerned with staying in lanes? Should LBs have been more aware on the shovel?

Pappy

raycafan
12-29-2014, 12:27 PM
I do have a question for you, because you know way more about Xs and Os than I do. Last night it seemed when the Steelers rushed three and dropped 8, they were getting really good pressure on Dalton, but the problem was they didn't have the 4th guy to help keep him contained, the rush collapsed the pocket, but Dalton was able to escape once to his right and once to his left to make big plays (the shovel pass and a 19 yarder to Green, I think). You would think getting pressure with 3 would be a good thing, but it turned out not to be. What should have happened on these couple plays? Should the DEs be more concerned with staying in lanes? Should LBs have been more aware on the shovel?

Pappy[/QUOTE]
Pappy, I think the 3 man rush when getting pressure is great. With that there could a Linebacker that could be a short shadow waiting for possible dump down or for the qb that can run. Can be used for a delayed rush, which of course is now a 4man. But there are some other things,
depending on the qb,

NorthCoast
12-29-2014, 12:29 PM
The improved secondary is as much about the CBs "getting it" as it is about the DL improvement. The pass rush has made the last few QBs antsy in the pocket and it has led to hurried throws and mistakes. On the back end, the DBs have been in position to make plays off errant balls. Still concerned with Mitchell's play and think the Steelers should consider a safety at some point in the next draft. Even his splash play last night was late (and may draw a fine).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Agreed, on everything here, except, I don't think Harrison took a break until late in the third (IIRC), so it seems he can still be a good to very good OLB in this defense. Certainly at his age he will wear down over a season, so limiting his snap count will be a good thing. He took on one of the best LTs in the NFL last night and did a good to great job, not much pressure, but he contained well and no one got outside of him, his instincts are still good he diagnosed a coulple screens and quick hitters rather quickly and helped keep yards to a minimum each time.

Pappy

You are going to put that responsibility on the outside rushers to contain but when the QB steps up & rolls it is difficult. When you get a mobile guy like Dalton & you don't spy you can limit the outside guys up field rush but that will also take away from the pressure so you rarely do that. You may in a down & distance situation. Flacco is the same animal so you may see a little of the same next week.

You really don't envision those types to make many plays with their legs. You take the good with the bad & hope the rushers can make the play if you are sitting in coverage behind it. Most of the time you have an underneath zone LB to come up if he is flushed when you have 8 in coverage. You really wouldn't game plan the same against a Running QB versus a Dalton or Flacco. If you are playing R Wilson then you would limit the outside guys up field push & have them sit & squeeze. You know Dalton or Flacco are looking to get the ball out so you play the coverage & take your lumps if he does make a play with his legs or extends a play. Even though those types (Dalton or Flacco) are "capable"...Coaches will tell you...Not many good things happen when your QB has to cross the LOS. Just like they are telling BB...Get the ball out if you have to step up or roll out. There are some "stationary targets" that the Steelers could see down the road. What you saw yesterday on those couple occasions may have had different outcomes because they won't escape the pocket.

They rotate Harrison which is a good thing. It isn't a game by game basis either. Its a cumulative effect over games. He wasn't in a camp, came on late, & missed a couple games because of injury. So he should be fresher than usual in this playoff season which could only be a benefit. 4 game season left with the last game being a "let it all hang out" game. If he plays around 75% mark I don't see him wearing down. I will say I don't see a camp & a full season in him though so this may be his curtain call.

papillon
12-29-2014, 12:42 PM
You are going to put that responsibility on the outside rushers to contain but when the QB steps up & rolls it is difficult. When you get a mobile guy like Dalton & you don't spy you can limit the outside guys up field rush but that will also take away from the pressure so you rarely do that. You may in a down & distance situation. Flacco is the same animal so you may see a little of the same next week.

You really don't envision those types to make many plays with their legs. You take the good with the bad & hope the rushers can make the play if you are sitting in coverage behind it. Most of the time you have an underneath zone LB to come up if he is flushed when you have 8 in coverage. You really wouldn't game plan the same against a Running QB versus a Dalton or Flacco. If you are playing R Wilson then you would limit the outside guys up field push & have them sit & squeeze. You know Dalton or Flacco are looking to get the ball out so you play the coverage & take your lumps if he does make a play with his legs or extends a play. Even though those types (Dalton or Flacco) are "capable"...Coaches will tell you...Not many good things happen when your QB has to cross the LOS. Just like they are telling BB...Get the ball out if you have to step up or roll out. There are some "stationary targets" that the Steelers could see down the road. What you saw yesterday on those couple occasions may have had different outcomes because they won't escape the pocket.

They rotate Harrison which is a good thing. It isn't a game by game basis either. Its a cumulative effect over games. He wasn't in a camp, came on late, & missed a couple games because of injury. So he should be fresher than usual in this playoff season which could only be a benefit. 4 game season left with the last game being a "let it all hang out" game. If he plays around 75% mark I don't see him wearing down. I will say I don't see a camp & a full season in him though so this may be his curtain call.

Thanks for the info on the three man rush. I was happy to see the pressure, but then the big plays started happening and I'm thinking, "this is what you dream of, rush 3, get pressure, defend with 8", but then the big plays started happening.

Yea, I tend to agree that a camp and 16 game schedule probably isn't happening for JH, but if he stays in shape and since injuries do happen in this league I still think he can plug the leak one more time just for old times sake if needed. :D

Steeler fans are going to miss that guy. My wife simply calls him "Boss", its funny as hell.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
The improved secondary is as much about the CBs "getting it" as it is about the DL improvement. The pass rush has made the last few QBs antsy in the pocket and it has led to hurried throws and mistakes. On the back end, the DBs have been in position to make plays off errant balls. Still concerned with Mitchell's play and think the Steelers should consider a safety at some point in the next draft. Even his splash play last night was late (and may draw a fine).

Its both... on a lot of these sacks the QB is holding onto the ball because the DB's are al over the WR's.

KC settled for FG's in the RZ because of coverage. Blake also made a great play on the ball in the EZ on a sure TD.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info on the three man rush. I was happy to see the pressure, but then the big plays started happening and I'm thinking, "this is what you dream of, rush 3, get pressure, defend with 8", but then the big plays started happening.

Yea, I tend to agree that a camp and 16 game schedule probably isn't happening for JH, but if he stays in shape and since injuries do happen in this league I still think he can plug the leak one more time just for old times sake if needed. :D

Steeler fans are going to miss that guy. My wife simply calls him "Boss", its funny as hell.

Pappy

I'll be honest...I was surprised. I didn't think he had that many quality snaps left in him. If he can last the year playing like he is it will be GREAT! I'll miss him too like every Steeler Great that has to move on. Exciting thing is we get to watch new Steeler Greats Develop before our eyes. The Steelers have several rising stars on this roster right now!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-29-2014, 01:59 PM
I wonder if (assuming he stays healthy for our run) they would give JH a pass on camp in some way, and take it easy on him during the regular season.

Tim Duncan, 37 years old - last year the Spurs coach had him play only about 50-60% of the total minutes in the regular season, and he also kept his other "old players" fresh by limiting their time as well. It worked great, as their legs were "young" for the post-season run ... a very successful one as it turned out.

No reason this can't be adapted in some fashion to JH 2015!

NorthCoast
12-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Its both... on a lot of these sacks the QB is holding onto the ball because the DB's are al over the WR's.

KC settled for FG's in the RZ because of coverage. Blake also made a great play on the ball in the EZ on a sure TD.

This is true. And there were at least a few passes where the WRs were wide open with DBs playing off but Dalton's passes were well off the mark. So yes, it is both and it's great to see it at work!

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 02:45 PM
This is true. And there were at least a few passes where the WRs were wide open with DBs playing off but Dalton's passes were well off the mark. So yes, it is both and it's great to see it at work!

We were getting presure with 3 guys... that is amazing.

Cam Heyward is a monster and Tuitt looks like he is about to follow in his footsteps

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Alex Kozora retweeted
Steelers Depot @Steelersdepot -

Will Allen is SO smart and knows the defense. That's why he is playing ahead of Shamarko still #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

papillon
12-29-2014, 02:59 PM
I wonder if (assuming he stays healthy for our run) they would give JH a pass on camp in some way, and take it easy on him during the regular season.

Tim Duncan, 37 years old - last year the Spurs coach had him play only about 50-60% of the total minutes in the regular season, and he also kept his other "old players" fresh by limiting their time as well. It worked great, as their legs were "young" for the post-season run ... a very successful one as it turned out.

No reason this can't be adapted in some fashion to JH 2015!

The problem is you have to give him a helmet and a spot on the 53 man roster, even if you let him skip camp, you still have to cut someone to keep him and I'm not sure that is prudent. I would love one more year from James, he's a man's man football player and probably my favorite Steeler of all time, but I don't know if you give him a spot on the 53 next year. I think keeping him on speed dial in case of injury is the best that we, as fans, can hope for and I don't wish injury on anyone trying to make a living in the NFL.

Pappy

papillon
12-29-2014, 03:01 PM

Cam Heyward is a monster and Tuitt looks like he is about to follow in his footsteps

And Whitworth hasn't allowed a sack all year at LT, so the three man pressure was unbelievable.

Pappy

phillyesq
12-29-2014, 03:03 PM

The crazy thing is that Tuitt is bigger and faster than Heyward. Those two could be a great tandem at DE for years to come.

flippy
12-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Gotta admit, I didn't see this improved play by our D coming. I think it has a lot to do with the play of the DLine improving. The DBs have improved as well. It's downright amazing. I think it all starts with stopping the run and forcing our opponents to go 1 dimensional. And we seem to be getting pressure organically without having to blitz.

I really can't pinpoint why everything has gone 180 in the last few weeks, but I definitely like where this team is headed.

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

Sean Spence recorded his first sack since October of 2011 - a span of 38 months. #Steelers

OsoRojo
12-29-2014, 07:52 PM
I think the better play on D is due to a lot of factors, but Tuitt improving and starting has got to be a big part of it. That and the fact that Troy and Ike are NOT on the field as well. This actually isn't the first time that Troy being out resulted in improved D performance. It happened again late season quite a few years ago if I remember correctly and the D had a phenomenal run.

Having said that... has McCullers gotten a hat recently or no? I haven't seen much of him, though I admittedly wasn't really looking either.

pittpete
12-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Didnt see Big Dan in there at all yesterday

skyhawk
12-29-2014, 08:47 PM

Yes, he played at least a couple snaps in one series.

papillon
12-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Yes, he played at least a couple snaps in one series.

McClendon has picked up his game the past few weeks, probably after he saw McCullers getting more snaps, but he was pretty stout last week and last night, even though Hill had a pretty good game, that kid (Hill) is going to be a thorn in the Steelers' side for a long time.

Pappy

Slapstick
12-29-2014, 08:53 PM
McClendon is, I think, fully recovered from the shoulder injury...

And, I'm glad...

papillon
12-29-2014, 08:54 PM
McClendon is, I think, fully recovered from the shoulder injury...

And, I'm glad...

Yea, he was doing a pretty good impression of Casey Hampton in there the past couple weeks.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2014, 09:33 PM

he was in there for 4 defensive snaps...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Yea, he was doing a pretty good impression of Casey Hampton in there the past couple weeks.

Pappy
When he's been healthy, McLendon has played well, and not just the past couple weeks.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2014, 02:34 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers were the only team in 2014 not to have an interception by a safety. Last one came Week 14 in 2013. #Steelers

Oviedo
12-30-2014, 09:10 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers were the only team in 2014 not to have an interception by a safety. Last one came Week 14 in 2013. #Steelers

That's a depressing factoid although indicative of our secondary

ikestops85
12-30-2014, 01:20 PM

Sean Spence recorded his first sack since October of 2011 - a span of 38 months. #Steelers

Huh?? I didn't think Spence was drafted until 2012. Are they talking about college? That is kind of a weird stat.

Ghost
12-30-2014, 02:29 PM
That's a depressing factoid although indicative of our secondary

Wouldn't it also be a good indication of the lack of pressure put on by the front 7 as well? That's when a lot of balls get launched by a QB under attack that end up deeper than intended and picked by the safeties.