PDA

View Full Version : In Case you Didn't Notice

NorthCoast
12-16-2014, 10:09 PM
The Steelers have dropped from tied for the most # of penalties in the NFL to 14th most and 16th most in penalty yards. Those screaming early in the season for Tomlin's head because he could not discipline his team can now remove foot from mouth.
Also their net penalty yards is only at -33 yds meaning they have been receiving opponent penalty yds at a greater rate than incurring them.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Tomlin hired HS refs to help out at practice to help reduce penalties

steelblood
12-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Good coaching!

squidkid
12-16-2014, 11:45 PM
whoa whoa whoa, tomlin had nothing to do with the amount of penalties the team was committing in the early season so he couldnt possibly have anything to do with them committing less lately,
it wasnt a disciple problem, remember?

flippy
12-17-2014, 12:29 AM
The Steelers have dropped from tied for the most # of penalties in the NFL to 14th most and 16th most in penalty yards. Those screaming early in the season for Tomlin's head because he could not discipline his team can now remove foot from mouth.
Also their net penalty yards is only at -33 yds meaning they have been receiving opponent penalty yds at a greater rate than incurring them.

Good find!!!

That's encouraging. I know he's said he's focusing on it, but that's making a huge improvement.

Starlifter
12-17-2014, 12:43 AM
well, I certainly wasn't calling for tomlins head though I was concerned about the stupid penalties (unsportsmanlike conducts etc) we were piling up. And it shows good coaching on tomlins part for figuring out a way to address it.

but here's the BUT.

it seems the last few years his teams have gotten off to a very slow start for reasons that are very puzzling. the penalties this year were a head scratcher. going into last years opener without a viable #2 center essentially blew up the first 7 games of the year. i know the cliche is - it's not how you start, but how you finish. and playing your best ball in december is what counts the most.

but wouldn't it just be AWESOME to start a season hot right out of the gate? Tomlin has had teams that have done that. so I'm not saying it's all a coaching problem - it could just be some bad luck. but the reasons for our slow starts the last two years are self-inflicted. and THAT drives most of us bat-$hit crazy.

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2014, 02:18 PM
The Steelers have dropped from tied for the most # of penalties in the NFL to 14th most and 16th most in penalty yards.

That's too bad, because last year the Seahawks led the league in penalty yardage against (then won the Super Bowl that year) and the year before the Ravens led the league in penalty yardage against (then won the Super Bowl that year). Probably should have left well enough alone. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2014, 02:22 PM
it wasnt a disciple problem, remember?

Jesus had a disciple problem (namely, Judas). Are you comparing Tomlin to Jesus? ;)

If so, we need to update this picture:

http://images.fasocdn.com/3379_53329l+v=201403081039c201403081039/once-in-a-blue-moon.jpg

hausparty
12-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Anyone see Tomlins Post Game Presser?
He was asked about Worilds sack and he didn't want to talk about it

Simple right! What would Ryan Clark say? or even the old James Harrison? In the past the Steelers kinda asked for the REFS attention and they got in the form of penalties.

A good leader practices what he preaches and by saying nothing TOMLIN actually says a lot which his team seems to follow. If you heard BENS presser it was almost as if Tomlin was talking.

Players buying into what the coach sells is a very GOOD THING and that's why Tomlin is a good coach IMO.

bostonsteeler
12-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Tomlin hired HS refs to help out at practice to help reduce penalties

Caught the disease early and cured it at practice. Good coaching.

squidkid
12-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Jesus had a disciple problem (namely, Judas). Are you comparing Tomlin to Jesus? ;)

If so, we need to update this picture:

http://images.fasocdn.com/3379_53329l+v=201403081039c201403081039/once-in-a-blue-moon.jpg

lol.............nice catch on my typo

NorthCoast
12-17-2014, 07:15 PM
well, I certainly wasn't calling for tomlins head though I was concerned about the stupid penalties (unsportsmanlike conducts etc) we were piling up. And it shows good coaching on tomlins part for figuring out a way to address it.

but here's the BUT.

it seems the last few years his teams have gotten off to a very slow start for reasons that are very puzzling. the penalties this year were a head scratcher. going into last years opener without a viable #2 center essentially blew up the first 7 games of the year. i know the cliche is - it's not how you start, but how you finish. and playing your best ball in december is what counts the most.

but wouldn't it just be AWESOME to start a season hot right out of the gate? Tomlin has had teams that have done that. so I'm not saying it's all a coaching problem - it could just be some bad luck. but the reasons for our slow starts the last two years are self-inflicted. and THAT drives most of us bat-$hit crazy.

By most # of penalties:
False starts - 16
Offensive holding - 12
Face Mask - 7
Illegal Use of Hands - 6
Delay of Game - 6

So you can argue that more than half the penalties in the top 5 are committed by the OFFENSE rather than the DEFENSE. btw, for frame of reference 16 false starts puts them in the middle of the pack in the league.... Seattle worst at 25.