PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Are Our Only Hope for Breaking the AFC's Patriots-Broncos Logjam

Slapstick
12-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Long, but good...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2300633-steelers-are-our-only-hope-for-breaking-the-afcs-patriots-broncos-logjam

Oviedo
12-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Long, but good...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2300633-steelers-are-our-only-hope-for-breaking-the-afcs-patriots-broncos-logjam
Great read and right on the mark. With our "lousy defense" (I guess this guy must be a hater too for speaking the truth) we have to ride our offense to play offs and another Super Bowl. Defense won't beat the Patriots and Broncos. We need to match them score for score. Our secret weapon is Bell who can help control the clock and cut down on the opponents opportunities. Recognize our defense sucks and let the offense carry us to the promised land.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Great read and right on the mark. With our "lousy defense" (I guess this guy must be a hater too for speaking the truth) we have to ride our offense to play offs and another Super Bowl. Defense won't beat the Patriots and Broncos. We need to match them score for score. Our secret weapon is Bell who can help control the clock and cut down on the opponents opportunities. Recognize our defense sucks and let the offense carry us to the promised land.

he is a hater of the passing defense. I like how he gives an excuse for the run defense rankings due to a few bad games early on but ignores Ike Taylor being burned to a crisp for 3 or 4 long TD's vs the Saints and the Bungals

Our secret weapon is our 3rd down defense. It's pretty damn impressive this year.

Slapstick
12-16-2014, 02:26 PM
The Steelers rush defense has held three of our last four opponents to well under 100 yards...the Saints rushed for over 100, but that was also the game that we lost Keisel...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Interesting phenomenon in the AFC this year. Let's see if you can spot the trends...

Points scored:

NE 442
Indy 424
Den 407
Pitt 389
Balt 376
Mia 327
Hou 324
KC 322
Cin 311
SD 303
Buf 302

Now Points against:

T1 KC 254
T1 Buff 254
Balt 267
Hou 277
NE 280
Cin 289
SD 294
Cle 300
Mia 301
Den 303
Indy 317
Pitt 339

Now, Point differential

NE 162
Balt 109
Indy 107
Den 104
KC 68
Pitt 50
Buff 48
Hou 47
Mia 26
Cin 22
SD 9

Looks like O is ruling the day in the AFC this year. The top three scoring teams have all clinched their divisions, with 4 and 5 in the WC spots. Points against is completely upside down, with 3 of the top 4 teams not in a playoff spot.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
The Ravens look like just another AFC welterweight; the Steelers are a heavyweight that sometimes lets its guard down.

Interesting comparison, especially for those who think that Colbert should be canned and worship the ground that the great GM Ozzie Newsome walks on.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Interesting comparison, especially for those who think that Colbert should be canned and worship the ground that the great GM Ozzie Newsome walks on.

I don't worship Ozzie but I respect the way they operate their FO.

There is a reason we have the best rivalry in football.

SidSmythe
12-16-2014, 03:52 PM
The ONE thing the STEELERS have going for them is the fact that their defense isn't TERRIBLE.

In fact it's missing ONE thing. PRESSURE!!! IF Worilds and Harrison can get hot in the playoffs they have a shot. IF they don't, then they won't last long.

skyhawk
12-16-2014, 04:07 PM
And when they get pressure, they have to make sure they don't hit the QB TOO hard ;)

BradshawsHairdresser
12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
And when they get pressure, they have to make sure they don't hit the QB TOO hard ;)

Unless it's Brady. Then, hit him so hard, he won't want to come back in the game.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Unless it's Brady. Then, hit him so hard, he won't want to come back in the game.

Imagine if Brady or Manning were hit the way Ben got hit by Upshaw earlier this season. Lights out.

flippy
12-17-2014, 01:00 AM
As good as our offense is, it seems like we need a defensive spark to get going.

As bad as our D is, we can create problems for Den and NE. I think Lebeau has a chance to sprinkle some magic once again in the playoffs.

Neither Brady or Manning like pressure up the middle. We just need a couple shots on them. I've seen them both get a little off when they aren't comfortable stepping into the pocket when making throws. I'd take some chances early on with Timmons blitzing up the middle. I'd be looping Harrison and Worilds up the middle repeatedly.

Discipline of Steel
12-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Recognize our defense sucks and let the offense carry us to the promised land.

There are positive aspects to our defense, it doesnt totally suck. 3rd down conversion rate is a big one that comes to mind.
...and I might add there have been more signs of life recently than at the beginning of the season.
Hopefully we can find a way to generate some more pressure with our LBs returning and get some more turnovers for Big Play Willie Gay to take to the house.

Oviedo
12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
I think Lebeau has a chance to sprinkle some magic once again in the playoffs.

So you think he has been saving his "magic?" Now I am really concerned that he seems to missing the fact we are fighting for a play off position while he saves his magic. Maybe someone should clue him in.

fordfixer
12-17-2014, 08:56 PM
So you think he has been saving his "magic?" Now I am really concerned that he seems to missing the fact we are fighting for a play off position while he saves his magic. Maybe someone should clue him in.
I agree do you want to give him a call and tell him how to run his defense or should I;)

JAR
12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Billick saying the same thing...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000445053/DDFP-TV-Billick-on-Manziel-and-Peyton?campaign=Facebook_videos_ddfptv

Oviedo
12-18-2014, 04:41 PM
I agree do you want to give him a call and tell him how to run his defense or should I;)
Don't bother since he wouldn't listen because he is too change adverse like most old people. I could never convince my grandfather to change anything he did.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Don't bother since he wouldn't listen because he is too change adverse like most old people. I could never convince my grandfather to change anything he did.

You must have inherited your stubbornness from your grandfather then, because you wouldn't ever consider altering your opinions on LeBeau and the 3-4, that's for sure.