PDA

View Full Version : Did Tomlin Seem.........

SidSmythe
12-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Did Tomlin seem more intense yesterday??

This is the first year i've had to go to a bar to watch the Steelers game ...since this is Bills country I let the old time Bills guys have the sound.

Yesterday Tomlin seemed to be the rah rah coach instead of the thinking guy on the sideline. I know he gets excited after a big play but yesterday he seemed jacked up the entire game.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I liked his reaction leaving the field giving fist pumps to the steeler fans above the tunnel

7 UP
12-15-2014, 12:12 PM
It was a big game. I think Tomlin wants to see some consistency out of this team as badly as we all do. He got caught up in the emotion. Frankly, I didn't like it. Act like you've been there before coach.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
It was a big game. I think Tomlin wants to see some consistency out of this team as badly as we all do. He got caught up in the emotion. Frankly, I didn't like it. Act like you've been there before coach.

he isn't a robot.

bostonsteeler
12-15-2014, 12:35 PM
I liked his reaction leaving the field giving fist pumps to the steeler fans above the tunnel

Saw that. It was good to see :-)
Call me nuts, but I prefer coaches who wear their emotions on their sleeve. I can't stand coachspeak. I'm probably one of the few guys on the planet who actually *appreciated* Denny Green's "They are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook" tirade.

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 12:38 PM

And if he was stoic he would have been ripped for not being able to motivate his players. He was excited because he knew they won a game against a team that was better than their record indicates. He was probably thrilled the defense didn't blow it when it mattered.

RobinCole
12-15-2014, 01:08 PM
As I've said before, if you like public displays of emotion on the sidelines, you'd have hated Noll. Who, by the way, thought that professional football players shouldn't need a coach to motivate them. "If I have to motivate them we've drafted the wrong people".

Sideline demeanor, IMO, is overrated. Some fiery, emotional coaches have had success and some haven't. Stoics like Landry, Noll and Dungy have had success and other even-keel guys haven't.

Steelhere10
12-15-2014, 01:17 PM
As I've said before, if you like public displays of emotion on the sidelines, you'd have hated Noll. Who, by the way, thought that professional football players shouldn't need a coach to motivate them. "If I have to motivate them we've drafted the wrong people".

Sideline demeanor, IMO, is overrated. Some fiery, emotional coaches have had success and some haven't. Stoics like Landry, Noll and Dungy have had success and other even-keel guys haven't.I agree, players should have the emotions not the coach.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 01:54 PM
I agree, players should have the emotions not the coach.

This makes no damn sense....

bostonsteeler
12-15-2014, 02:21 PM
This makes no damn sense....

It doesn't.

steelblood
12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Some folks are NEVER going to be happy with anything Tomlin does. I wouldn't dare label them, but certain labels come to mind.

Steelhere10
12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm not saying that the coach should not, I'm saying that the fans should be more concerned with the players showing emotions instead of focusing on the coach. I think Tomlin shows the right balance calm /cool/ emotional. Because players follow that.

JAR
12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Some folks are NEVER going to be happy with anything Tomlin does. I wouldn't dare label them, but certain labels come to mind.

Yup. I have a neighbor who sold his season tickets and doesn't watch the games because he says that Tomlin ruined them. This guy is 100k percent the label you are talking about.

SidSmythe
12-15-2014, 03:02 PM
OK, lets not turn this into a freakin' race card crapola post. We get enough of that crap on the nightly news.

Chuck Noll was different from Cowher and Tomlin is different from both and so on and so forth. Is there ONE way to coach???

As long as a coach remains focused it's ok to get excited. Let it go but keep cool at the same time.

Personally I think TOMLIN wasn't going to let his team be flat on the road against a team with a losing record and they won.

7 UP
12-15-2014, 03:08 PM
And if he was stoic he would have been ripped for not being able to motivate his players. He was excited because he knew they won a game against a team that was better than their record indicates. He was probably thrilled the defense didn't blow it when it mattered.

I love the emotion. Im glad Tomlin was fired up, It was good to see. But theres a difference between being firey on the sideline, and jumping up and down and pumping your fists in the air at the crowd like you are John Cena. I thought it was a little over the top especially in an opponents stadium. If its a player doing it its OK. You just dont expect it from your head coach.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 03:12 PM
I love the emotion. Im glad Tomlin was fired up, It was good to see. But theres a difference between being firey on the sideline, and jumping up and down and pumping your fists in the air at the crowd like you are John Cena. I thought it was a little over the top especially in an opponents stadium. If its a player doing it its OK. You just dont expect it from your head coach.

I'm sure the fans who paid to see the W and stayed to congratulate him appreciated his gesture...

Slapstick
12-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Some of the people who complain about Tomlin being demonstrative are probably the same people who applauded Bill Cowher yelling and spitting on the sidelines and shoving pics into the pockets of the refs.

I loved Cowher as a coach.

Emperor Chaz was a different coach for a different era.

I just want Tomlin to be himself. If that involves fist bumping Steeler fans in a hostile stadium after a victory, then so be it. If Tomlin can just be himself, I have faith in the end result.

buccoray61
12-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Sideline demeanor, IMO, is overrated. Some fiery, emotional coaches have had success and some haven't. Stoics like Landry, Noll and Dungy have had success and other even-keel guys haven't.
I agree, that rah rah stuff is for fans.

squidkid
12-15-2014, 03:57 PM
obviously, tomlin isnt an O's guy
obviously, he isnt an X's guy
if tomlin's main contribution to the team when they are on the field is showing emotion, i'm all for it...

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 04:08 PM
man, you mofos always find a reason to pick at Tomlin.

winning isn't enough for some of you.

unreal.

RobinCole
12-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Squid: Why is it "obvious"? Tomlin has coached DBs and been a DC. You have to be an "Xs and Os" guy to do that. As for emotion, as someone else said, just be yourself. That said, yesterday both teams were in must-win situations. Our players knew the importance of the game. So I'm doubting that any of them looked over at Tomlin and thought, "Geez, Coach is fired up! I'm going to play EVEN HARDER NOW!"

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 04:29 PM
OK, lets not turn this into a freakin' race card crapola post. We get enough of that crap on the nightly news.

It exists, don't bury your head. If you think there is not a group who don't like Tomlin because of that you are being naïve. Sorry, but that is just fact and has been since the day he took over. There is no other reason for the criticism one of the winningest coaches in the NFL over the past 8 years, two Super Bowls, etc. gets except for that. Tomlin is routinely rated among the top coaches players respect and would like to play for. We have a very good coach and I hope he is here another 6-7 years (I think you need new blood after 10-15 years). Stability is good but fresh ideas and perspectives are also very good.

buccoray61
12-15-2014, 04:55 PM
man, you mofos always find a reason to pick at Tomlin.

winning isn't enough for some of you.

unreal.
I actually feel sorry for some of them. They most likely have a negative out look in other areas of life.

squidkid
12-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Squid: Why is it "obvious"? Tomlin has coached DBs and been a DC. You have to be an "Xs and Os" guy to do that. As for emotion, as someone else said, just be yourself. That said, yesterday both teams were in must-win situations. Our players knew the importance of the game. So I'm doubting that any of them looked over at Tomlin and thought, "Geez, Coach is fired up! I'm going to play EVEN HARDER NOW!"

he has a couple years as a db coach and 1 season as a dc, in a 4-3.
yes he has some X's experience with a 4-3 but none with a 3-4.
i say hes not an X or O guy because you dont see him with a play sheet calling offense or defense during the game.
there is no evidence that any of 'his' defense has been installed in DL's 3-4.
i think our players should know the importance of every game, not just the last few down this stretch.
i guess its nice to see our coach doing something more than staring off into space on the sidelines.
did they players notice and play different?, who knows. maybe they felt the vibe, maybe they didnt, but it has to be better than them looking over at him and see him standing there looking lost.
he

Slapstick
12-15-2014, 05:05 PM
No experience in the 3-4? Are we just not counting the last eight seasons?

squidkid
12-15-2014, 05:12 PM
No experience in the 3-4? Are we just not counting the last eight seasons?

i sure would hope he picked up something watching DL

JAR
12-15-2014, 06:02 PM
It exists, don't bury your head. If you think there is not a group who don't like Tomlin because of that you are being naïve. Sorry, but that is just fact and has been since the day he took over. There is no other reason for the criticism one of the winningest coaches in the NFL over the past 8 years, two Super Bowls, etc. gets except for that. Tomlin is routinely rated among the top coaches players respect and would like to play for. We have a very good coach and I hope he is here another 6-7 years (I think you need new blood after 10-15 years). Stability is good but fresh ideas and perspectives are also very good.

Exactly. My neighbor and a few others I know are living proof of the reason for a lot of the Tomlin hate.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I actually feel sorry for some of them. They most likely have a negative out look in other areas of life.

Its funny because they always end up arguing against their own agenda.

7 UP
12-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Its funny because they always end up arguing against their own agenda.

Talk about agendas. Who in this thread has bashed Tomlin? Squidkid said he didnt think Tomlin was an Xs and Os coach, I said Tomlins celebration was "a little over the top", and RobinCole pointed out differences between Tomlin and Noll. How is any of that Tomlin bashing?

squidkid
12-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Talk about agendas. Who in this thread has bashed Tomlin? Squidkid said he didnt think Tomlin was an Xs and Os coach, I said Tomlins celebration was "a little over the top", and RobinCole pointed out differences between Tomlin and Noll. How is any of that Tomlin bashing?

its their own racists agenda

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Felt is mikes personal cheerleader, every time he is questioned he runs into the thread with his hair on fire

I want him to succeed and win more super bowls, but there are a couple of posters here who refuse he has any room to improve and imply darker undertones if you criticize him at all. Its pointless to argue with them

some will even tell you lebeau is wholly and solely responsible for draft picks and player development

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Felt is mikes personal cheerleader, every time he is questioned he runs into the thread with his hair on fire

I want him to succeed and win more super bowls, but there are a couple of posters here who refuse he has any room to improve and imply darker undertones if you criticize him at all. Its pointless to argue with them

some will even tell you lebeau is wholly and solely responsible for draft picks and player development
he is part of those who make recommendations and decisions on these players. he is not the deaf mute victim some would portray him as to cover for his failing performance

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2014, 08:06 PM
and I would say the same about the head coach

He isn't immune to criticism

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
and I would say the same about the head coach

He isn't immune to criticism
No he isn't. Nor is Colbert. But rarely do they get a free pass by many on this board because of past glories which mean nothing in 2014, 2015 and beyond. Too many have bought into the "Coach Dad" storyline but the performance no longer matches the feel good story.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2014, 08:26 PM
No he isn't. Nor is Colbert. But rarely do they get a free pass by many on this board because of past glories which mean nothing in 2014, 2015 and beyond. Too many have bought into the "Coach Dad" storyline but the performance no longer matches the feel good story.

I agree with you on lebeau, at this point, he needs to go and we need fresh eyes and ideas. But I also believe it is much more talent than scheme. Where we part ways is your belief that lebeau is inherently responsible for the pathetic shape of the defensive roster. You think DL is substantially involved in drafting players, I don't. That's tomlin/colbert decisions, IMO

where I also disagree is that you think MT is devoid of any responsibility for any of it. If DL is was as bad as you say, and Tomlin has watched it all happen, what does that say about Tomlin? You can't have it both ways. You can't say out of one side of your mouth that Tomlin is above reproach, and then say out of the other side he isn't responsible for half of the football team. That's hypocritical and pretty absurd, imo

And in every Tomlin rant I hear about two SBs. Isn't that living on past glories?

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 08:35 PM

I'm a fan of Tomlin's.... sorry if that offends you.

it's amusing to see you guys try to bash Tomlin for stupid things like a fist pump in the air.

what next, his haircut? His breath stinking? his cologne?

7 UP
12-15-2014, 08:44 PM

it's amusing to see you guys try to bash Tomlin for stupid things like a fist pump in the air.

No one has bashed Tomlin in this thread. Simply pointing out that doing the Lambeau Leap, after beating a 5-8 team, is beneath the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats not Tomlin bashing.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Wow

this is really telling

JAR
12-15-2014, 09:15 PM
No one has bashed Tomlin in this thread. Simply pointing out that doing the Lambeau Leap, after beating a 5-8 team, is beneath the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats not Tomlin bashing.

He was acknowledging the amount of Steelers fans at the game in ATL. He wasn't doing the Lambeau Leap over the win.

Steelhere10
12-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Wow

this is really tellingMAYBE NOT you two per se , but you have guys like Vader who only participate in the discussion if praise is going out to Tomlin. Then guys like him pop up here to tell 100 hundred reasons why he's a lousy coach.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Simply pointing out that doing the Lambeau Leap, after beating a 5-8 team, is beneath the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I don't mind the leap...he was probably just so relieved and happy to beat a team with a losing record that he couldn't help himself.

I don't care if he does or doesn't show a lot of emotion on the sidelines. If they keep winning, he can do the leap after every game, as far as I'm concerned.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-15-2014, 09:21 PM
where I also disagree is that you think MT is devoid of any responsibility for any of it. If DL is was as bad as you say, and Tomlin has watched it all happen, what does that say about Tomlin? You can't have it both ways. You can't say out of one side of your mouth that Tomlin is above reproach, and then say out of the other side he isn't responsible for half of the football team. That's hypocritical and pretty absurd, imo

$$$$$
This D is just as much Tomlin's as it is LeBeau's.

Steelhere10
12-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Because Tomlin put too much trust in Dickey, who IMO need to retire asap and take Johnny Mitchel with him.

SidSmythe
12-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Because Tomlin put too much trust in Dickey, who IMO need to retire asap and take Johnny Mitchel with him.

Well since you're wrong about everything I hope they give them both contract extensions

papillon
12-15-2014, 09:42 PM
if tomlin's main contribution to the team when they are on the field is showing emotion, i'm all for it...

Can you quantify either of these statements? I would find it fascinating to learn how a head coach in the NFL rises to that position without understanding the game.

Pappy

papillon
12-15-2014, 09:53 PM

I would say indicating that the head coach of an NFL team doesn't understand the game is bashing the coach. Would you want someone to tell you that you don't know the nuts and bolts of doing your job?

Pappy

7 UP
12-15-2014, 11:35 PM
I would say indicating that the head coach of an NFL team doesn't understand the game is bashing the coach. Would you want someone to tell you that you don't know the nuts and bolts of doing your job?

Pappy

Sadly, when you work for the public, you will have lots of clueless people that dont believe you know the nuts and bolts of doing your job. Cowher said it best a couple of Sundays ago, "If you start listening to the fans, before you know it, youll become one."

Flasteel
12-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Are you kidding me? If you've never been on a sideline, it's one of the most emotion-charged places you can imagine. Of course it all depends on the personality of the coach, but find me a coach who was always stoic. I would have a problem with someone who could resist displays of emotion in that environment. Couldn't disagree with you more.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 11:58 PM

Saying Tomlin did something BENEATH the coach of the Steelers when he is the coach of the Steelers is a bash IMO.

7 UP
12-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Are you kidding me? If you've never been on a sideline, it's one of the most emotion-charged places you can imagine. Of course it all depends on the personality of the coach, but find me a coach who was always stoic. I would have a problem with someone who could resist displays of emotion in that environment. Couldn't disagree with you more.

Emotion is fine. Being charged up because you win a big game is fine. I liked Cowher as a coach when he was fired up. I like Tomlin as a coach when hes amped up. When CBS showed Tomlin walk over past the bench pumping his fists in the air and screaming at the crowd, my first thought was that it was way over the top. Tomlin is an NFL head coach, he is not Richard Sherman. There are things you can and can not do. To me thats something you dont do. This was not a Super Bowl win. This was not a playoff win, or even a playoff clinching win. I would be willing to bet, that if asked, more than a couple players probably thought it was over the top.

7 UP
12-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Saying Tomlin did something BENEATH the coach of the Steelers when he is the coach of the Steelers is a bash IMO.

I disagree. Steelers did an outstanding job Sunday from the Head Coach down to the Waterboy. Tomlins celebration didnt hinder my enjoyment over the win. But the celebration was over the top and beneath any NFL coach IMHO. If you think thats a Tomlin bash so be it.

Flasteel
12-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Emotion is fine. Being charged up because you win a big game is fine. I liked Cowher as a coach when he was fired up. I like Tomlin as a coach when hes amped up. When CBS showed Tomlin walk over past the bench pumping his fists in the air and screaming at the crowd, my first thought was that it was way over the top. Tomlin is an NFL head coach, he is not Richard Sherman. There are things you can and can not do. To me thats something you dont do. This was not a Super Bowl win. This was not a playoff win, or even a playoff clinching win. I would be willing to bet, that if asked, more than a couple players probably thought it was over the top.

I thought it was great. Guess we disagree.

Ernie
12-16-2014, 07:33 AM
I'll take how Tomlin acted Sunday any day of the week over the cluelessness that has been witnessed on the sidelines at various points this season.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 08:12 AM

This is an amazing reach....

flippy
12-16-2014, 08:41 AM
This is an amazing reach....

I agree. If I lost as many games as Mike has to subpar teams over teams over the years, I'd probably be doing backflips and leaping into the crowd to surf after this win. In context it totally makes sense and I was happy for him.

Slapstick
12-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Damn. Even Flippy can't just be happy.

There is so much passive aggression in this thread, it's possible that my mother-in-law hacked a bunch of these accounts....

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 10:02 AM

There is so much passive aggression in this thread, it's possible that my mother-in-law hacked a bunch of these accounts....

HAHAHA!!! The estrogen levels on here are rising.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Wow

this is really telling

no more telling than critiquing how Tomlin celebrates after a nice win.

flippy
12-16-2014, 10:47 AM

You got some Captain Crunch on my keyboard :)

Sometimes I type stuff and wonder what's happened to me. I'm still optimistic, but I was thinking the other day, I've been more optimistic about the Pirates when they were in their 20+ season drought than I am about the current Steelers.

Seriously, I thought we might go 18-1 this year or something ;)

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2014, 11:47 AM

He was acknowledging the Towel-waving crazies who took over the Georgia Dome. Basically telling them, "great job guys...you fans were a big part of this win today." No problem whatsoever with that.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
He was acknowledging the Towel-waving crazies who took over the Georgia Dome. Basically telling them, "great job guys...you fans were a big part of this win today." No problem whatsoever with that.

That is beneath a Steeler Coach

steelsnis
12-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Good tweet from Wexell today at Tomlin's press conference.

@jimwexell: Tomlin has me fired up. the way he has so many players fighting and working for playing time. Tremendous job building this team this year.

He's right too. Spence, Williams, Shazier all fighting and competing for playing time at ILB. Moats, JJ fighting for time at OLB. McCain and Blake fighting at CB. Competition breeds winners.

squidkid
12-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Can you quantify either of these statements? I would find it fascinating to learn how a head coach in the NFL rises to that position without understanding the game.

Pappy

i never said he didnt understand the game
you dont see him with a play sheet calling the offense or the defense, his coordinators do that.
im sure he decides how he wants the coin flip to go, calls timeouts and makes challenges and such.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2014, 05:57 PM
James C Wexell @jimwexell -

Tomlin has me fired up. the way he has so many players fighting and working for playing time. Tremendous job building this team this year.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

BradshawsHairdresser
12-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Good tweet from Wexell today at Tomlin's press conference.

@jimwexell: Tomlin has me fired up. the way he has so many players fighting and working for playing time. Tremendous job building this team this year.

He's right too. Spence, Williams, Shazier all fighting and competing for playing time at ILB. Moats, JJ fighting for time at OLB. McCain and Blake fighting at CB. Competition breeds winners.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but do you think that having those players fighting for playing time is really the product of Tomlin's genius, or more because his original plans fall through due to injuries?

RobinCole
12-16-2014, 07:51 PM
So Squid, Tomlin doesn't call the offensive and defensive plays, his coordinators do. How is this different from other NFL coaches who have offensive and defensive coordinators?

steelsnis
12-16-2014, 07:53 PM
You are a wet blanket :). Seriously though, in an ideal world, no starter would ever get hurt, but in the real world, it happens, and the way the coaches deal with it is important. Having these young, hungry players all on the roster and able to battle it out is a GREAT thing.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-16-2014, 09:04 PM
You are a wet blanket :). Seriously though, in an ideal world, no starter would ever get hurt, but in the real world, it happens, and the way the coaches deal with it is important. Having these young, hungry players all on the roster and able to battle it out is a GREAT thing.

Yeah, I get it, and I agree with that. Just have to wonder if getting a lot of the young guys so involved was more a function of losing what they considered to be their "preferred options." But no matter how you slice it, I like the fact that more young players are getting a chance to play and develop now. Bodes well for the team's future, IMO.

squidkid
12-16-2014, 11:33 PM
So Squid, Tomlin doesn't call the offensive and defensive plays, his coordinators do. How is this different from other NFL coaches who have offensive and defensive coordinators?

Bruce Arians
Cardinals
offense

Jay Gruden
Redskins
offense

Chip Kelly
Eagles
offense

Mike McCarthy
Packers
offense

Bill O'Brien
Texans
offense

Sean Payton
Saints
offense

Andy Reid
Chiefs
offense

Rex Ryan
Jets
defense

Marc Trestman
Bears
offense

Ken Whisenhunt
Titans
offense

ummmm, one type of coach calls their own plays while the others do not

steelblood
12-16-2014, 11:33 PM
I find it hilarious that this much scrutiny and discussion results from a coach emotionally acknowledging fans who turned a road game into a home game. Good god, you'd have thought he'd wore his underwear over his pants from all the judgmental dribble from offended posters. For many, Tomlin will never be good enough no matter what he does.

Tomlinator
12-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Or maybe he had just made a bet that the last pass to Heath would work and just won a free dinner from LeBeau at the Sizzler.

Can't blame the man for being excited.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
I find it hilarious that this much scrutiny and discussion results from a coach emotionally acknowledging fans who turned a road game into a home game. Good god, you'd have thought he'd wore his underwear over his pants from all the judgmental dribble from offended posters. For many, Tomlin will never be good enough no matter what he does.

I just read that Tomlin was wearing his underwear over his pants...good grief, can that be true?
:D:D

Got to be beneath his dignity as a Steelers coach, don't you think?
;)

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Or maybe he had just made a bet that the last pass to Heath would work and just won a free dinner from LeBeau at the Sizzler.

Can't blame the man for being excited.

LOL... apparently you CAN blame him for being excited.

JAR
12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
I just read that Tomlin was wearing his underwear over his pants...good grief, can that be true?
:D:D

Got to be beneath his dignity as a Steelers coach, don't you think?
;)

Maybe part of it was because he had greasy hair and was wearing a hoodie with the sleeves cut off? Oh, wait a minute........

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Bruce Arians

Cardinals

offense

Jay Gruden

Redskins

offense

Chip Kelly

Eagles

offense

Mike McCarthy

Packers

offense

Bill O'Brien

Texans

offense

Sean Payton

Saints

offense

Andy Reid

Chiefs

offense

Rex Ryan

Jets

defense

Marc Trestman

Bears

offense

Ken Whisenhunt

Titans

offense

And we have a better offense than all of these teams right now. Maybe delegating playcalling duties to an O.C. is actually a good idea.

RobinCole
12-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Squidkid: I asked: How does Tomlin (not calling offensive and defensive plays) differ from other NFL coaches who have offensive and defensive coordinators? I'm assuming your list of coaches who do call offensive or defensive plays don't have coordinators. If they do, why? What do these coordinators do?

hausparty
12-17-2014, 02:35 PM
BINGO! Been waiting for someone to post something like this.
Tomlin is a pure motivator and there have been many in this league just like him. AKA COWHER! We also criticized him for this very thing and for his poor managing decisions when the game was on the line. (USUALLY TOO CONSERVATIVE like his MENTOR MARTY BALL). Tomlin is more aggressive in those situations and we blame him when it goes wrong.

Regardless he is a motivator and a darn good one at that!

We have how many EX NFL Coaches on the staff? Why do you micromanage them? At the same time I'm sure Tomlin has a huge say in gameplanning decisions prior to the game and sometimes that's all a coach should do! He focuses in on motivating his MEN and he leads by example.

Anyone remember the Cardinals Superbowl win? What would of become of that James Harrison INT if it wasn't for Tomlin? Everyone seen that piece right? He wasn't happy with his defense after INTS so during that week he made them all run it back to the house while others blocked. Remember? Something that SIMPLE paid off for that team. AKA COACHING!

hausparty
12-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Coach Kelly should focus in on his Defense a little more and the Eagle fans I know are clearly putting the blame on the Defense.
However lets look at that for a minute.
Isnt it common sense that you should have your GREAT offense slow down so your BAD defense isn't always on the field? I could swear that's common sense but yet KELLY and his great offense takes none of the blame.

You can find the good and bad in everyone but to me I'll take a great motivator anyday because those type of Coaches can LAST LONGER! It's a lot easier to find a new OC or DC if your team is struggling.

If KELLY's OFFENSE starts to struggle what does he become?

Slapstick
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Tomlin, I'm sure, has the final say in game planning and veto power over play calling at critical points of the game...

At the same time, as hausparty pointed out, you have former head coaches on your staff...let them do their jobs...if he didn't, a guy like Munchak, who has really benefitted our offensive line, wouldn't want to be here...

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Bruce Arians
Cardinals
offense

Jay Gruden
Redskins
offense

Chip Kelly
Eagles
offense

Mike McCarthy
Packers
offense

Bill O'Brien
Texans
offense

Sean Payton
Saints
offense

Andy Reid
Chiefs
offense

Rex Ryan
Jets
defense

Marc Trestman
Bears
offense

Ken Whisenhunt
Titans
offense

half of these coaches are responsible for some awful football this year on their side of the ball.

squidkid
12-17-2014, 05:32 PM
And we have a better offense than all of these teams right now. Maybe delegating playcalling duties to an O.C. is actually a good idea.

i never said it was a bad idea.
the point i made was that tomlin is not an offensive guy or defensive guy. he lets his coordinators do their thing.

squidkid
12-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Tomlin, I'm sure, has the final say in game planning and veto power over play calling at critical points of the game...

At the same time, as hausparty pointed out, you have former head coaches on your staff...let them do their jobs...if he didn't, a guy like Munchak, who has really benefitted our offensive line, wouldn't want to be here...

we agree then that tomlin has very little to do with this team other than PR, practice scheduling, timeouts, challenges, a few in game decisions and some rah rah stuff.

squidkid
12-17-2014, 05:37 PM

so what about our bad defense now and our mediocre offense in the past. who should have been calling those?

squidkid
12-17-2014, 05:41 PM
BINGO! Been waiting for someone to post something like this.
Tomlin is a pure motivator and there have been many in this league just like him. AKA COWHER! We also criticized him for this very thing and for his poor managing decisions when the game was on the line. (USUALLY TOO CONSERVATIVE like his MENTOR MARTY BALL). Tomlin is more aggressive in those situations and we blame him when it goes wrong.

Regardless he is a motivator and a darn good one at that!

We have how many EX NFL Coaches on the staff? Why do you micromanage them? At the same time I'm sure Tomlin has a huge say in gameplanning decisions prior to the game and sometimes that's all a coach should do! He focuses in on motivating his MEN and he leads by example.

Anyone remember the Cardinals Superbowl win? What would of become of that James Harrison INT if it wasn't for Tomlin? Everyone seen that piece right? He wasn't happy with his defense after INTS so during that week he made them all run it back to the house while others blocked. Remember? Something that SIMPLE paid off for that team. AKA COACHING!

in the beginning of the year(when we sucked)most of the tomlin apologists said that pro players shouldnt need to be motivated and it wasnt tomlins job to motivate. it was all the responibility of the players
so when we sucked, it was the players fault for not being motivated
now we are winning, it is because tomlin motivated them?

Slapstick
12-17-2014, 05:48 PM
we agree then that tomlin has very little to do with this team other than PR, practice scheduling, timeouts, challenges, a few in game decisions and some rah rah stuff.

Umm...no.

What I posted and what you posted are two completely different things.

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 07:47 PM
so what about our bad defense now and our mediocre offense in the past. who should have been calling those?

When we had a good defense and a mediocre offense we went to 2 SB's.

Right now we have a pretty good offense and a subar defense and we sit at 9-5 and control our playoff destiny. Maybe this is the year the offense carries us deep into the playpffs. I don't think this is a Super Bowl team but I have seen enough on offense to believe we are capable of outscoring opponents.

Whats the problem? Why do you keep asking for reasons why people like Tomlin?

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Umm...no.

What I posted and what you posted are two completely different things.

Sooooo, you agree?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Whats the problem? Why do you keep asking for reasons why people like Tomlin?

You have to be kidding. Maybe its the same reason you run into every Tomlin thread wondering why people arent happy and crying about not getting any positive vibes. See how this works?

Mike isn't perfect no matter how many times you scream from the rooftops in every thread countless times

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Mike isn't perfect no matter how many times you scream from the rooftops in every thread countless times

^^^ Walk over to a mirror and repeat that line 10 times ^^^

Mike isn't perfect, but what coach is? How many HC's are as successful as Tomlin after 8 years? This is the coach we have and his record speaks for itself.

I'm sorry if it upsets you when people compliment and defend Tomlin after a win.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-17-2014, 10:07 PM
wave that flag brah

I've said I like MT and want him to succeed but I'm not some blind sheep that refuses to admit he cant improve

7 UP
12-17-2014, 10:15 PM
wave that flag brah

I've said I like MT and want him to succeed but I'm not some blind sheep that refuses to admit he cant improve

Thats a "passive aggressive" statement. You have to blindly love Mike T, or you have to hate his freakin guts. You cant have it both ways with some of these guys.

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 10:19 PM
wave that flag brah

I would rather be a blind sheep following a winner than a stubborn mule who refuses to admit he IS improving.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Thats a "passive aggressive" statement. You have to blindly love Mike T, or you have to hate his freakin guts. You cant have it both ways with some of these guys.

Its absurd at this point

Like a crusade with some of them for some reason

feltdizz
12-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Some of these people have a weird way of showing they like Tomlin.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Some of these people have a weird way of showing they like Tomlin.

I like Mike Tomlin a lot.

could he be a better head coach? sure, but I'm very happy that he is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers! :tt2

SidSmythe
12-18-2014, 10:30 AM

could he be a better head coach? sure, but I'm very happy that he is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers! :tt2

I have not been very happy with TOMLIN the past few years. BUT when I think of who is available and who i'd rather have I can't really think of anyone.

I believe TOMLIN has room to improve and I hope he does. I haven't written him off yet. When we're drafting in the TOP 10 two years in a row then I think it's time for change.

steelsnis
12-18-2014, 11:02 AM
I have not been very happy with TOMLIN the past few years. BUT when I think of who is available and who i'd rather have I can't really think of anyone.

I believe TOMLIN has room to improve and I hope he does. I haven't written him off yet. When we're drafting in the TOP 10 two years in a row then I think it's time for change.

Haha you'll be waiting a loooooong time then. In the past 25-years, this team has drafted in the top 10 exactly TWICE. Once in 1989 under Chuck Noll (Tim Worley) and once in the year 2000 under Bill Cowher (Plaxico Burress).

Just doesn't happen around here that often.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Isn't this like saying that the CEO's of major Fortune 500 companies have very little to do with the success of the company because all they do is delegate others to be in charge of research and development, marketing, etc.?

SidSmythe
12-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Isn't this like saying that the CEO's of major Fortune 500 companies have very little to do with the success of the company because all they do is delegate others to be in charge of research and development, marketing, etc.?

People don't understand this isn't High School Football.

... I prefer the H.C. not be a control freak.

squidkid
12-18-2014, 12:05 PM

if that CEO had very little experience and had no control of who he hired or fired as management, then yes

Oviedo
12-18-2014, 12:18 PM

$$$$$$ We could have a loser like Ken Whisenhunt. On Black Monday after the regular season ends and coaches are let go there will be 6-7 teams that would trip over each other to get Mike Tomlin as a head coach. He's not perfect but he is clearly B+ or A- among NFL coaches

squidkid
12-18-2014, 12:45 PM
$$$$$$ We could have a loser like Ken Whisenhunt. On Black Monday after the regular season ends and coaches are let go there will be 6-7 teams that would trip over each other to get Mike Tomlin as a head coach. He's not perfect but he is clearly B+ or A- among NFL coaches

tomlin is a mediocre coach in a perfect situation.
20 other coaches would have the same or better record as tomlin if they were handed the job

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 01:01 PM
20 other coaches would have the same or better record as tomlin if they were handed the job

well, before you said 25 other coaches so this is progress.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Perfect situation? In a place with dud draft after dud draft according to you, who ridicules fans who actually like some of our draft picks?

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Perfect situation? In a place with dud draft after dud draft according to you, who ridicules fans who actually like some of our draft picks?

Check the duds in his mock.

He is a clown.

Slapstick
12-18-2014, 03:32 PM

So easy to speak in hypotheticals that can be neither proven nor disproven...but, you can still pretend that it is some kind of legitimate point...

hausparty
12-18-2014, 03:50 PM
At least were not CHICAGO or the 49ers. How's that coaching?

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 03:54 PM
At least were not CHICAGO or the 49ers. How's that coaching?

I don't like Harbaugh but I think he is a good coach. I'm not sure about that one. If they fall off a cliff without him it may be the FO who is the problem.

7 UP
12-18-2014, 04:46 PM
So easy to speak in hypotheticals that can be neither proven nor disproven...but, you can still pretend that it is some kind of legitimate point...

Heaven forbid someone should interject hypotheticals on an internet discussion board.

squidkid
12-18-2014, 04:50 PM

a lie once again.
i have never ridiculed a 'fan' for liking some of our picks. i laugh at the 'fans' that have never heard of them but as soon as the steelers draft them they turn into instant HOFers. then when they get cut or bust out, no one seems top remember liking them.

squidkid
12-18-2014, 04:53 PM

you live in the hypothetical. you've had numerous chances to prove points and have tuck tail every time

7 UP
12-18-2014, 05:00 PM
I like Tomlin. I believe we will finish 11-5. He gets props from me for turning this thing around. But why do we always have to turn things around? This is 3 years in a row we were a mess in the preseason. This is three seasons in a row we started out sloppy but got it together. This year was better than the prior two. But why do some of you have such short memories? We seem to have a long figuring out period at the beginning of each season. I expect better than that next season from Tomlin. I used to be a huge supporter of Tomlins, and of this coaching staff. But there are losses this season I can directly attribute to coaching. Im on the fence now, and its going to take more than a win over the Falcons to have me jump off

hausparty
12-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Turn it around or just get better? Look at all the "GOOD" teams and where they started and where they are TODAY.
1. Patriots - Didn't they just sign BLOUNT after Gray had the game of his life. Would you say they are better for that move?
2. Broncos - CJ Anderson.
3. Colts - Bradshaw and now Richardson again, not to mention the Rookie WR who is stepping up over NICKS.
4. Bengals - GIO was benched basically for Hill

It happens to every team! Dri ARcher was going to be a big part of this team early on and that failed and took away touches from BELL. Blount took away touches from BELL. Insert DA BEARD and James Harrison late after some Key injuries and I'd say we are NO different then the other teams. You are constantly trying to improve and enter the playoffs better and I'd say we have IMPROVED and are at the our best right now. Tomlin and company did exactly what good coaches and teams do!

papillon
12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
I like Tomlin. I believe we will finish 11-5. He gets props from me for turning this thing around. But why do we always have to turn things around? This is 3 years in a row we were a mess in the preseason. This is three seasons in a row we started out sloppy but got it together. This year was better than the prior two. But why do some of you have such short memories? We seem to have a long figuring out period at the beginning of each season. I expect better than that next season from Tomlin. I used to be a huge supporter of Tomlins, and of this coaching staff. But there are losses this season I can directly attribute to coaching. Im on the fence now, and its going to take more than a win over the Falcons to have me jump off

Are the Steelers turning around a bad team or are they transitioning from a team that made a run at the Super Bowl and have been shedding experienced players for young players? To me a team that is turning things around is one that is perennially struggling to win 8 games and typically only win 5, 6 or 7 games, they need to turn things around. A team that challenged for a Super Bowl 4 years ago and has had a few years of 8-8 football, but now seem to be on the rise is a team that is transitioning.

I don't really think that the Steelers are in the "turn around" mode, they haven't been really bad, there isn't any turmoil between management, coaching and the players and from everything I see about this team the players are all competing hard for playing time. I don't think I've heard about one player that doesn't seem to have a good work rate, maybe Adams, but not likely. I believe this team is going to contend for a Super Bowl either next year or the following year, I think they'll make the playoffs this year, but, ultimately are just a bit too green on defense to make a deep run.

I see it as transition not "turning around".

Pappy

Eddie Spaghetti
12-18-2014, 05:49 PM

get over yourself already

that is all you do on here

or do a bunch of meaningless ......make it fact?.........

Slapstick
12-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Heaven forbid someone should interject hypotheticals on an internet discussion board.

It isn't interjecting the hypotheticals that is the problem...the problem is pretending that they are facts...

Slapstick
12-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Three years? In 2012, the Steelers were 6-3 when Ben was injured (during win #6). After losing the franchise QB, the season turned for the worse...but, they did start far stronger than they finished that season...

squidkid
12-18-2014, 08:30 PM
It isn't interjecting the hypotheticals that is the problem...the problem is pretending that they are facts...

so when i say tomlin won his superbowl with mostly cowhers players that isnt a fact?

7 UP
12-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Three years? In 2012, the Steelers were 6-3 when Ben was injured (during win #6). After losing the franchise QB, the season turned for the worse...but, they did start far stronger than they finished that season...

They started 2-3 with losses to Oak and Ten in 2012.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2014, 08:59 PM
so when i say tomlin won his superbowl with mostly cowhers players that isnt a fact?

you mean the players that Cowher went 8-8 with his last season?

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Last year we lost Pouncey in game 1

2 years ago we just weren't a good team.

It happens. We aren't going to be a playoff team every year but we were almost a playoff team both years.

I know Steeler fans expect a SB every year but the reality is sometimes we arent5 going to make it. What should be encouraging though is Tomlin has the same record as Cowher after 7 years with 2 SB appearances.

We are 9-5, have a ton of young exciting players and control our destiny.

A better question is why do YOU have such a short memory? Did you just start following the Steelers 3 years ago or did you follow Tomlin for 8 years?

It amazes me how people demand 3 or 4 SB's from Tomlin in 8 years of service. You guys had to know we would eventually have a down year or 2. Not saying you have to like it but come on. No one is good EVERY year in the NFL besides the Pats.

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 10:19 PM

You guys make it sound like its a bad thing. So what, he won 2 years after Cowher left. Fire him.

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 10:20 PM
get over yourself already

that is all you do on here

or do a bunch of meaningless ......make it fact?.........

What do you do on here besides complain about fans defending the Steelers?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Awww

15000 post guy is upset

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Awww

15000 post guy is upset

Whats wrong Eddie? Who hurt you? ;)

flippy
12-18-2014, 11:14 PM
A better question is why do YOU have such a short memory? Did you just start following the Steelers 3 years ago or did you follow Tomlin for 8 years?

It amazes me how people demand 3 or 4 SB's from Tomlin in 8 years of service. You guys had to know we would eventually have a down year or 2. Not saying you have to like it but come on. No one is good EVERY year in the NFL besides the Pats.

I think people are more critical just because we have Ben and don't want to waste his talent.

After 7 years, Cowher didn't have a franchise QB and that's what makes it night and day different.

Slapstick
12-18-2014, 11:33 PM
I think people are more critical just because we have Ben and don't want to waste his talent.

After 7 years, Cowher didn't have a franchise QB and that's what makes it night and day different.

So, in today's NFL, a franchise QB automatically equals multiple SB wins?

We have one of three active QBs with more than one SB ring...Rodgers, Brees, Peyton Manning have one...but not more.

Other guys considered "franchise types" (Ryan, Stafford, Rivers) have zero.

Winning a championship is probably more difficult than ever these days...ask Tom Brady.

feltdizz
12-18-2014, 11:38 PM

I think that is a horrible excuse. If Cowher had his way we wouldn't even have Ben.

Ben's talent hasn't been wasted. He has an ugly side that contributes to a lot of our ugly losses.

flippy
12-18-2014, 11:44 PM
So, in today's NFL, a franchise QB automatically equals multiple SB wins?

We have one of three active QBs with more than one SB ring...Rodgers, Brees, Peyton Manning have one...but not more.

Other guys considered "franchise types" (Ryan, Stafford, Rivers) have zero.

Winning a championship is probably more difficult than ever these days...ask Tom Brady.

It just makes your odds better with a great QB.

My point is there are a lot of other problems on this team. That's why people are hyper critical of Tomlin. We've got a small window of an elite QB. We may not find another after Ben for years. And now's our best odds of winning a championship.

Granted, nothing's perfect, but we've gone thru some long stretches where there have been major things we haven't been able to easily fix. The Oline was a wreck for Tomlin's entire tenure up until this season. ST play (including P and K) has been abysmal for most of the Tomlin era. And for the last several years, we can generate pressure and struggle in coverage.

A lot has to do with the talent on the team. No idea who's making the final call there, but that seems to manifest as an issue over and over. And all these little things add up and I think it's 100% fair to question Tomlin. I totally get why fans would.

7 UP
12-18-2014, 11:47 PM

Thats a big part of it. Once Ben is gone, welcome to the 1980's. If Tomlin is the guy to get us back over the top, Great! If hes not, then lets make that decision sooner rather than later before we waste the rest of Bens career.

BURGH86STEEL
12-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Last year we lost Pouncey in game 1

2 years ago we just weren't a good team.

It happens. We aren't going to be a playoff team every year but we were almost a playoff team both years.

I know Steeler fans expect a SB every year but the reality is sometimes we arent5 going to make it. What should be encouraging though is Tomlin has the same record as Cowher after 7 years with 2 SB appearances.

We are 9-5, have a ton of young exciting players and control our destiny.

People who expect this team to make the SB every year are living with unrealistic expectations. Those people will be disappointed a majority of the time and will always find a reason to complain. It seems there is very little "football related" happiness for those individuals if the Steelers don't win the SB. It often seems that some people will let their dislike of a player or coach ruin their Steelers experience.

I believe Steelers fans are fortunate in that we have an ownership who doesn't overreact and has patience.

birtikidis
12-19-2014, 09:16 AM

Maybe we should have been more critical of Cowher for NOT GOING AFTER A FRANCHISE QB for 7(!) years!

Oviedo
12-19-2014, 09:33 AM

That is because Cowher didn't value the QB position and wanted a game manager who didn't make mistakes. It is primarily because he had a once in a decade RB in Bettis (Bettis made Cowher look like a better coach than he was from an offensive perspective) who could be relied on in his low-risk, non-innovative offense. But don't forget how he struggled against the Patriots who weren't afraid to open it up on offense and the Cowher style offense couldn't keep up. Also, Ben would be much less a QB under Cowher than he has become because Tomlin doesn't tie one arm behind Ben's back.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-19-2014, 09:41 AM
But don't forget how he struggled against the Patriots who weren't afraid to cheat

Fixed that for you. :smile:

feltdizz
12-19-2014, 09:59 AM
That is because Cowher didn't value the QB position and wanted a game manager who didn't make mistakes. It is primarily because he had a once in a decade RB in Bettis (Bettis made Cowher look like a better coach than he was from an offensive perspective) who could be relied on in his low-risk, non-innovative offense. But don't forget how he struggled against the Patriots who weren't afraid to open it up on offense and the Cowher style offense couldn't keep up. Also, Ben would be much less a QB under Cowher than he has become because Tomlin doesn't tie one arm behind Ben's back.

yep, Marty Ball was always everything BUT a franchise QB.

feltdizz
12-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Thats a big part of it. Once Ben is gone, welcome to the 1980's. If Tomlin is the guy to get us back over the top, Great! If hes not, then lets make that decision sooner rather than later before we waste the rest of Bens career.

we have no idea what will happen once Ben leaves.

I remember everyone saying we would go 0-4 without Ben when he was suspended.

We went 3-1.

SidSmythe
12-19-2014, 10:28 AM
we have no idea what will happen once Ben leaves.

I remember everyone saying we would go 0-4 without Ben when he was suspended.

We went 3-1.

I'm not going out on a limb here, but the Steelers wouldn't have gone 12-4 that year if Ben was suspended for the entire year. Just Sayin'!

feltdizz
12-19-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm not going out on a limb here, but the Steelers wouldn't have gone 12-4 that year if Ben was suspended for the entire year. Just Sayin'!

The point is most people predicted 0-4 and said we were done without Ben. All we can do is use the actual facts when Ben doesn't play.

How many times have we been blown out without Ben?

Batch was 7-3.

Dixon was 2-1

Leftwitch 0-1

9-5 isn't a bad record without Ben. It's pretty darn impressive.

SidSmythe
12-19-2014, 11:13 AM
The point is most people predicted 0-4 and said we were done without Ben. All we can do is use the actual facts when Ben doesn't play.

How many times have we been blown out without Ben?

Batch was 7-3.

Dixon was 2-1

Leftwitch 0-1

9-5 isn't a bad record without Ben. It's pretty darn impressive.

There is a huge difference between playing fill in vs. playing a full season.
The way teams gameplan and how much info. they have on you.

Even the way Defenses step up their game b/c they don't have their franchise guy leading the team.

If your logic was accurate we could have started Charlie Batch all these years and won 70% of our games and saved a ton of money to sign top free agents. It's not quite that simple.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2014, 11:21 AM
No one is good EVERY year in the NFL besides the Pats.

Bill Cowher has won a Super Bowl title more recently than Bill Belichick. Fire Belichick.

RobinCole
12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
"Cowher didn't value the QB position and wanted a game manager who didn't make mistakes."

If that's what he wanted, he certainly didn't get one in Tomzcak or Korky.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
"Cowher didn't value the QB position and wanted a game manager who didn't make mistakes."

We play that guy this weekend in Alex Smith.

feltdizz
12-19-2014, 12:29 PM
There is a huge difference between playing fill in vs. playing a full season.
The way teams gameplan and how much info. they have on you.

Even the way Defenses step up their game b/c they don't have their franchise guy leading the team.

If your logic was accurate we could have started Charlie Batch all these years and won 70% of our games and saved a ton of money to sign top free agents. It's not quite that simple.

no, I never said Batch was as good as Ben. However, given the small sample size we have seen without Ben it's safe to say we probably won't be trapped in the 80's once Ben leaves.

feltdizz
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Bill Cowher has won a Super Bowl title more recently than Bill Belichick. Fire Belichick.

I'm sure there are a few Pat fans who feel this way and I'm sure everyone laughs them off or calls them delusional.

squidkid
12-19-2014, 03:59 PM
You guys make it sound like its a bad thing. So what, he won 2 years after Cowher left. Fire him.

you dont have to fire him for winning that superbowl wioth cowheres players, just admit that he is barry switzer 2.0 without the resume

SteelBuckeye
12-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Interesting conversation. I see some posting/linguistic patterns similar to folks on another board who haven't posted over there all week. In any event, love him, hate him, or be somewhere in the middle, it's going to take an 8-8 season or worse NEXT YEAR in order for Tomlin not to be back. I don't see that happening.

My prediction is that you guys will be having this same argument for years to come, because even if Tomlin wins a Super Bowl with "Tomlin's players", there is a faction of people who will not want to give him credit. Same folks who sit back and say that a Head Coach has everything to do with the losses of his team, but nothing to do with the actual running of the team. It's an argument used to deflect attention away from or discredit wins.

On the flip side, there is a faction of people who will not want to credit him for losses. Same folks who sit back and say that everything falls on the coordinators if the game plans stink.

Slapstick
12-19-2014, 05:57 PM
The biggest difference between Tomlin and Switzer?

Barry had a 6-10 record in his 4th year...we're still waiting for Tomlin's first losing season after 8 years...

How's that for a resume?

flippy
12-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Interesting conversation. I see some posting/linguistic patterns similar to folks on another board who haven't posted over there all week. In any event, love him, hate him, or be somewhere in the middle, it's going to take an 8-8 season or worse NEXT YEAR in order for Tomlin not to be back. I don't see that happening.

My prediction is that you guys will be having this same argument for years to come, because even if Tomlin wins a Super Bowl with "Tomlin's players", there is a faction of people who will not want to give him credit. Same folks who sit back and say that a Head Coach has everything to do with the losses of his team, but nothing to do with the actual running of the team. It's an argument used to deflect attention away from or discredit wins.

On the flip side, there is a faction of people who will not want to credit him for losses. Same folks who sit back and say that everything falls on the coordinators if the game plans stink.

Every opinion seems overly simplistic. Even mine.

We need that D'Art guy to come back and point out all the fallacies in the arguments. That guy always cracked me up.

You're kinda right, but at the same time, I don't think people really think half the stuff they post :)

7 UP
12-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Every opinion seems overly simplistic. Even mine.

We need that D'Art guy to come back and point out all the fallacies in the arguments. That guy always cracked me up.

You're kinda right, but at the same time, I don't think people really think half the stuff they post :)

Look at it this way flippy. When a post about whether or not Tomlin celebrates too much has 15 pages, that must mean theres not much else to b!tch about. Thats a good thing.

squidkid
12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
The biggest difference between Tomlin and Switzer?

Barry had a 6-10 record in his 4th year...we're still waiting for Tomlin's first losing season after 8 years...

How's that for a resume?

if you're hanging your hat on their 4th year records being the biggest difference between the 2, i will agree.
in your own words, barry and mike were very similiar in that they had very little to do with their super bowl win

Slapstick
12-20-2014, 08:39 PM
if you're hanging your hat on their 4th year records being the biggest difference between the 2, i will agree.
in your own words, barry and mike were very similiar in that they had very little to do with their super bowl win

In my own words? Proven wrong and now resorting to lies? How cowardly...go and hide...

RobinCole
12-20-2014, 09:11 PM
One more time: Tomlin "inherited" an 8-8 team and a rather sloppy one at that.

squidkid
12-20-2014, 09:22 PM
In my own words? Proven wrong and now resorting to lies? How cowardly...go and hide...

lol.............you lose again.
you said the biggest difference between barry and tomlin was their 4th year record............are you that ignorant that you cant read exactly what you wrote 2 posts ago?
geeez, i wonder where you got that 'go and hide ' comment.........dude, you are too easy

Slapstick
12-20-2014, 09:26 PM
lol.............you lose again.
you said the biggest difference between barry and tomlin was their 4th year record............are you that ignorant that you cant read exactly what you wrote 2 posts ago?
geeez, i wonder where you got that 'go and hide ' comment.........dude, you are too easy

Yep. That is what I wrote. That has nothing to do with the BS you posted. Back on the ignore list for you...I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but your posting hasn't gotten any smarter. Bye.

SidSmythe
12-20-2014, 09:56 PM
One more time: Tomlin "inherited" an 8-8 team and a rather sloppy one at that.

That 8-8 team finished 6-2 (after a terrible start) and won the Superbowl the yr before.

7 UP
12-20-2014, 10:16 PM
That 8-8 team finished 6-2 (after a terrible start) and won the Superbowl the yr before.

Not to mention all the Ben drama at the beginning of that year. The team Tomlin inherited was far from a "sloppy" 8-8 team.

SteelBuckeye
12-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Last year's team finished 8-4 after an 0-4 start. If that wasn't impressive, I can hardly credit finishing 6-2 to finish 8-8 as an accomplishment for Cowher's last team. Any way you slice it, 8-8 is mediocre, average, whether the team is coached by Tomlin or Cowher.

JoshBroski
12-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Ben was horrible in 2006 due to the accident/appendectomy/multiple concussions. He inherited a SB caliber team.

Slapstick
12-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Ben was horrible in 2006 due to the accident/appendectomy/multiple concussions. He inherited a SB caliber team.

And won a SB after that SB caliber team finished 8-8 the previous season...

Also, he hasn't had a losing season since...

SteelBuckeye
12-20-2014, 11:48 PM

And Cowher made the "genius" decision to play a quarterback who 1. had nearly killed himself in a motorcycle accident less than 6 months prior 2. had an emergency appendectomy just prior to the season opener, requiring him to miss the opener. There was no way that Ben was healthy enough to be playing as soon as Cowher put him in.
So no, I don't give Cowher any slack for his stupid decision. He coached a team to an 8-8 record.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2014, 01:43 AM
And Cowher made the "genius" decision to play a quarterback who 1. had nearly killed himself in a motorcycle accident less than 6 months prior 2. had an emergency appendectomy just prior to the season opener, requiring him to miss the opener. There was no way that Ben was healthy enough to be playing as soon as Cowher put him in.
So no, I don't give Cowher any slack for his stupid decision. He coached a team to an 8-8 record.

Cowher mailed in that season. He should have just quit after the Super Bowl win.

Oviedo
12-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Cowher mailed in that season. He should have just quit after the Super Bowl win.
Says a lot about the man doesn't it!!!!!!

RobinCole
12-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Anybody recall the two embarrassing games against Baltimore in 2006? In no way did the Steelers resemble "Super Bowl caliber" that year. Sad thing is, there was no need to rush Ben back into action at the beginning of the season. Batch was still a creditable backup at that time; in fact, had done a nice job in winning the opener against Miami. But Cowher insisted on starting Ben in Week Two. He was rusty, sluggish and awful. Thus started the descent to 2-6. Cowher definitely mailed it in.

By the way, the 6-2 finish is misleading. The two losses were the embarrassing trompings by Baltimore.

BURGH86STEEL
12-21-2014, 05:01 PM
The people that have been waiting for the firing of Tomlin and the ultimate demise of the Steelers are probably going to have to wait a few more years.
If the organization can continue to rebuild the defense, key players can remain healthy, and Ben can continue to play well this team is going to be a contender for the next 3 or 4 years.

feltdizz
12-21-2014, 05:05 PM
playoffs!!!!!!

fire tomlin

eniparadoxgma
12-21-2014, 05:22 PM
You all see Tomlin fired up on the sideline in this game too?

I don't agree with the criticism of it. It just mirrors the feelings I'm experiencing. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2

RobinCole
12-21-2014, 05:28 PM
They're criticizing him for being fired up? Who? Usually they bash him for NOT being emotional. LOL

eniparadoxgma
12-21-2014, 05:45 PM
They're criticizing him for being fired up? Who? Usually they bash him for NOT being emotional. LOL

Looking stoic on the sideline = needs to get fired up
Fired up on the sideline = act like you've been there before

feltdizz
12-21-2014, 05:52 PM

the people who don't like Tomlin always find a reason to criticize him.

oh well, another win, another week to dig into his past and find a reason not to give him credit.

i

squidkid
12-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Yep. That is what I wrote. That has nothing to do with the BS you posted. Back on the ignore list for you...I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but your posting hasn't gotten any smarter. Bye.

run and hide when you lose....typical

feltdizz
12-21-2014, 05:57 PM
run and hide when you lose....typical

what in the hell????

I know it upsets you when we win but dude, timing is everything.

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2014, 02:07 AM
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

Tomlin showed so much fire in the Chiefs game. Gets in Nelson's ear after the game. Why the players love/respect him so much. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2014, 02:17 AM

Tomlin on confronting Nelson. "You gotta ask him about that."

Says it's not related to the Bell injury/hit.

SidSmythe
12-29-2014, 10:52 AM

Tomlin on confronting Nelson. "You gotta ask him about that."

Says it's not related to the Bell injury/hit.

Technically it was related to the Bell Injury but NOT the hit.
It was related to a player telling NELSON that TOMLIN said something about the hit (in a negative manner I assume at the risk of making an ass outta you and me)

papillon
12-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Tomlin showed so much fire in the Chiefs game. Gets in Nelson's ear after the game. Why the players love/respect him so much. #Steelers

Only the haters gonna hate, the Steelers have an ideal situation from a coaching standpoint and from what I can tell probably the best situation in the NFL, former head coaches at OC, DC and OL coaches, they all know what it takes to be successful and they're patient. Fans seem to be the ones that can't wait for players to learn, improve technique, gain confidence in what they are doing and make plays. Thankfully, the coaches are a bright group and understand that it doesn't happen overnight (there's always outliers, those guys that get it immediately, the Steelers don't have any of those right now, but its okay).

Pappy

feltdizz
12-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Only the haters gonna hate, the Steelers have an ideal situation from a coaching standpoint and from what I can tell probably the best situation in the NFL, former head coaches at OC, DC and OL coaches, they all know what it takes to be successful and they're patient. Fans seem to be the ones that can't wait for players to learn, improve technique, gain confidence in what they are doing and make plays. Thankfully, the coaches are a bright group and understand that it doesn't happen overnight (there's always outliers, those guys that get it immediately, the Steelers don't have any of those right now, but its okay).

Pappy

Yep, thank goodness for our FO who shows patience and always seems to make the right decision when it comes to players and personnel. We may not always agree on how they do it but it sure seems to work out most of the time.

Slapstick
12-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Our coaching staff and FO are NOT perfect...

But, they are a hell of a lot closer than most other teams...

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Yep, thank goodness for our FO who shows patience and always seems to make the right decision when it comes to players and personnel. We may not always agree on how they do it but it sure seems to work out most of the time.

We let Bryant, Tuitt, and McCullers marinate a bit before throwing them into the fire, and they all seem to be better off for it.

Oviedo
12-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Our coaching staff and FO are NOT perfect...

But, they are a hell of a lot closer than most other teams...
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oviedo
12-30-2014, 06:54 PM
We let Bryant, Tuitt, and McCullers marinate a bit before throwing them into the fire, and they all seem to be better off for it.
Tuitt and McCullers should have had a quick sear versus slow marinate. Anyone telling me they couldn't have matched the bum Cam Thomas is doing heavy drugs.