PDA

View Full Version : 27/35, 360 yards ... the stats don't lie ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-14-2014, 05:57 PM
They were set up to stop Bell today, which they did. So given our firepower in the air, I was thinking we should have had a blowout passing day. Until I saw the stats I thought it was more of a mediocre day, and I was kind of bummed about how against a team ranked 33rd in pass defense :eek: we weren't having another 6 TD day. Especially after we just wound up with FGs after those long drives.

But overall, I guess the passing stats actually are pretty good ... is it just me, do I need to take a chill pill?

(Working next weekend, and traveling during the Cinci game ... arrggghhhh!)

Starlifter
12-14-2014, 06:21 PM
The stats are good, but I feel like the offense underperformed a bit. The start to the game was just like New Orleans. Still, they made a statement drive when bell scored and they converted at the end. On the road in December? I'll take that every time!

Ghost
12-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Love the win but I agree with Starlifter. The O was mostly underwhelming against a not good D. Still struggling with FGs instead of TDs. Some nice plays here and there but mostly mediocre Ben, which is still much better than bad Ben.

Cinnjerm3000
12-14-2014, 06:42 PM
I know how you feel, but they produced about their average number of yards. The thing is, when you have an offense that's one of the top two in the league, even good performances have a way of apearing mediocre at times.

Cinnjerm3000
12-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Love the win but I agree with Starlifter. The O was mostly underwhelming against a not good D. Still struggling with FGs instead of TDs. Some nice plays here and there but mostly mediocre Ben, which is still much better than bad Ben.

So 77% complete passes, 360 yards, and 0 INTs is Bad Ben now? *noted*

Starlifter
12-14-2014, 06:52 PM

I believe ghost called that mediocre. And with no td's, I agree.

Remember as well, they define #2 based on yards gained, not point scored. It makes a difference.

Just like those years we had the #1 defense (yards allowed) but when it came down to preventing scoring to win the game - #1, not so much.

Ive never understood why they aren't ranked on the stat that matters most. Points scored and points allowed.

SteelCrazy
12-14-2014, 06:54 PM

No Bubbles, he said it was a mediocre day for Ben.

feltdizz
12-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Mediocre Ben? He doesn't need to throw TDs to have a good day. No turnovers and he kept the chains moving. I thought he played well today

Snatch98
12-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Apparently. Are we watching the NFL or playing madden? Ben was far from mediocre.

AzStillers1989
12-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I don't know how it can even be considered that he had a bad game... No touchdowns??... Okay how about no ints either and we won the game. I'd chalk it up as a good game.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-14-2014, 07:25 PM
I thought roethlisberger was very sharp today

Ghost
12-14-2014, 07:28 PM
You should look into reading comprehension before you call someone out.

Flasteel
12-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Mediocre Ben? He doesn't need to throw TDs to have a good day. No turnovers and he kept the chains moving. I thought he played well today

He did. Anyone who thinks he was mediocre or something less than that wasn't watching the same game I was. In a game where Bell was pretty much bottled-up, Ben came through time and time again to move the chains and make plays.

Without the complement of a running game, I did think the offense underwhelmed somewhat...especially considering the defense they were facing. But as someone else alluded to, I'll take a December road win all day long. :tt2

Ghost
12-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Look, if you don't agree with me saying mediocre (I clearly never said bad), that's fine, but I was at the game and at NO TIME did it feel as if Ben was taking it over. The first 2 drives stalled out and were FGs. They weren't moving the ball at will. 4th q last week was great Ben carving a team up. I didn't see that today.

And quite frankly, at this time in the NFL, a 300 yard passing game is becoming expected. Heck, Ryan had over 300 in a losing effort.

Flasteel
12-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Look, if you don't agree with me saying mediocre (I clearly never said bad), that's fine, but I was at the game and at NO TIME did it feel as if Ben was taking it over. The first 2 drives stalled out and were FGs. They weren't moving the ball at will. 4th q last week was great Ben carving a team up. I didn't see that today.

And quite frankly, at this time in the NFL, a 300 yard passing game is becoming expected. Heck, Ryan had over 300 in a losing effort.

He was very consistent though and on-target all day. The fact that we now expect 300 yards each game says something about the way he and this offense are playing, but you can't use that as a barometer. He was 27 of 35 with no picks and some really clutch throws. He had no running game to take the pressure off and got put behind the chains all day as we tried to establish the run.

I don'twant to try and get inside your head, but maybe you were just generalizing the offensive performance and lumped Ben in with it. Dunno. Without the effort we got from him today, we don't win this game.

Iron City Inc.
12-14-2014, 07:48 PM
400 yds and 6 td's is not the standard. Ben was excellent today often going to his second or third read. Very accurate today.

Ghost
12-14-2014, 07:58 PM
He was very consistent though and on-target all day. The fact that we now expect 300 yards each game says something about the way he and this offense are playing, but you can't use that as a barometer. He was 27 of 35 with no picks and some really clutch throws. He had no running game to take the pressure off and got put behind the chains all day as we tried to establish the run.

I don'twant to try and get inside your head, but maybe you were just generalizing the offensive performance and lumped Ben in with it. Dunno. Without the effort we got from him today, we don't win this game.

That may be a fair assessment. Well done (sincerely).

DukieBoy
12-14-2014, 08:01 PM
No turnovers with Ben's # of attempts today is very positive.

bostonsteeler
12-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Its the quality of the 8 missed passes.. :stirpot

Slapstick
12-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Ben was also sacked only once.

Now, Ryan was 26 of 37 for 310 yards and two TDs...and was not sacked...

Of course, he did have that INT returned for a TD...

Did he have a better day than Ben?

bostonsteeler
12-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Not after he turns in a pick-6

Flasteel
12-14-2014, 09:23 PM

I'd say that since Ben won and had a higher QB rating, he had the decidedly better day.

Shoe
12-14-2014, 09:24 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE MORON, "#firetoddhaley" fans? There are many on this board, not to mention that functioning retard Snoop, calling for Haley's head. This 3-year stretch that Ben's been on (under Haley) is probably up there in NFL history, for 3-year stretches.

Cinnjerm3000
12-14-2014, 11:04 PM
You should look into reading comprehension before you call someone out.

You should look into synonyms. bad-not such as to be hoped for or desired; unpleasant or unwelcome/
mediocre-of only moderate quality; not very good

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2014, 01:53 AM

Only if you are counting fantasy points.

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2014, 08:20 AM
They were set up to stop Bell today, which they did. So given our firepower in the air, I was thinking we should have had a blowout passing day. Until I saw the stats I thought it was more of a mediocre day, and I was kind of bummed about how against a team ranked 33rd in pass defense :eek: we weren't having another 6 TD day. Especially after we just wound up with FGs after those long drives.

But overall, I guess the passing stats actually are pretty good ... is it just me, do I need to take a chill pill?

(Working next weekend, and traveling during the Cinci game ... arrggghhhh!)

They pulled the Jets game plan out and dusted it off. Run into the teeth of the D, throw short, hope to win. Worked today better, but they should have challenged that 32nd ranked pass defense early and often.

For some reason, the coaches seem reticent trying to run out to a lead and then salting it away with Bell.

RobinCole
12-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Ben completed 77% of his passes and had a 109 passer rating. The stats don't lie. In fact, they understate his effectiveness because a lot of those completions bailed us out of bad down-and-distance situations.