PDA

View Full Version : 9-5, not bad at all.

feltdizz
12-14-2014, 05:20 PM
sure, the D has issues but this O is finally stepping up and putting points on the board.

D wasn't that bad today IMO, I think the game is a blow out if that sack didn't get a flag.

Horrible call.

DukieBoy
12-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Beats 8-8 for sure. It's win or watch the playoffs for our team. I like the survivor mentality playing out on the field, the aggressive playcalling like the 3rd down pass to Heath.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-14-2014, 05:45 PM
sure, the D has issues but this O is finally stepping up and putting points on the board.

D wasn't that bad today IMO, I think the game is a blow o ought t if that sack didn't get a flag.

Horrible call.

Did they ever explain why it was roughling the passer?

No leading with the helmet, there was never contact above (or even at) the QB's shoulders ...

The only thing I can think of is that he *maybe* drove him into the ground, but on the replays I saw even that wasn't clear.

The lack of explanation is what I'm p.o.'d about now ... after they explain it, then I'll be mad about the reasoning!

pittpete
12-14-2014, 05:47 PM
During the game i read something about him launching..
Obviously something that wasnt done..
The refs Fd this one up.
These types of penalties need to be reviewable from NY like challenges

feltdizz
12-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Did they ever explain why it was roughling the passer?

No leading with the helmet, there was never contact above (or even at) the QB's shoulders ...

The only thing I can think of is that he *maybe* drove him into the ground, but on the replays I saw even that wasn't clear.

The lack of explanation is what I'm p.o.'d about now ... after they explain it, then I'll be mad about the reasoning!

his neck snapped back, that's all I can think of because the hit was clean.

Moonie
12-14-2014, 05:55 PM
It was clean tackle - terrible call. That f'ing Ref had the flag out of his pocket the second he saw the momentum Worilds had. There was no tackle Worilds could have made there that the clown of a ref wouldn't have flagged.

Ghost
12-14-2014, 06:27 PM
It was one of those calls that make you sad about the direction the NFL is heading. Classic sack. Now tackling hard is 15. Sickening.

Oviedo
12-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Help me understand, do we still fire our terrible Head Coach at 9-5...I'm so confused.

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Help me understand, do we still fire our terrible Head Coach at 9-5...I'm so confused.

yes, Tomlin has clearly lost this team...;)

pfelix73
12-14-2014, 09:57 PM
It was one of those calls that make you sad about the direction the NFL is heading. Classic sack. Now tackling hard is 15. Sickening.

I agree, Ghost. I for one no longer spend as much $ as I used to. Tickets, food at stadium, shirts, etc.

The league is headed in the wrong direction, imo.

papillon
12-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Beats 8-8 for sure. It's win or watch the playoffs for our team. I like the survivor mentality playing out on the field, the aggressive playcalling like the 3rd down pass to Heath.

Oh the horror, Mike Tomlin has another "winning" (or, non-losing) season under his belt, the Rooneys are drawing up the extension as we type, much to the chagrin of many. :D This should have many gnashing their teeth in dismay.

Pappy

Eich
12-15-2014, 09:39 AM

If we somehow (God forbid) end up at 9-7, there will be plenty of people (unrightfully so) calling for his and/or Haley's head.

Djfan
12-15-2014, 09:46 AM
I agree, Ghost. I for one no longer spend as much $ as I used to. Tickets, food at stadium, shirts, etc.

The league is headed in the wrong direction, imo.

Same here. I feel ripped off. Oh well. God bless the NHL.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 09:52 AM
If we somehow (God forbid) end up at 9-7, there will be plenty of people (unrightfully so) calling for his and/or Haley's head.

unless we win the SB by 14 points they will call for Tomlin's head.

flippy
12-15-2014, 10:25 AM
I think Tomlin is still on the hot seat here along with Colbert.

Tomlin comes to us as a defensive coach and he is struggling for years to field a serviceable D. How many top picks does he get to waste on D that don't pan out? How long can we settle with horrible defensive play? And the worst part is do any of you see the light at the end of the tunnel? We don't have any great players coming up on that side of the ball. This D could be stuck in mediocrity. And I don't really trust Colbert/Tomlin to draft players to fix it. Do you?

Tomlin is starting to remind me of Brian Billick. Brian was an offensive guy that couldn't put together an offense to save his life in Baltimore. But he had this great D that carried him for years. Brian was a good enough coach. The Ravens had a good GM getting him good players. But for the life of him, the guy couldn't help his team in his area of specialty. And it seemed like the Ravens were better off after Brian left.

Sometimes as a coach, you get stuck in a rut. You can't change/develop the talent fast enough. And sometimes the way the organization is going gets out of your control. Tomlin's a good coach. As good as just about any. But at the same time, it feels like we really have to shake things up to get this Defense back on track. And it feels like we're really struggling to bring in quality players. I think Tomlin/Colbert have to be held accountable for some of those issues.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Tomlin comes to us as a defensive coach and he is struggling for years to field a serviceable D. How many top picks does he get to waste on D that don't pan out? How long can we settle with horrible defensive play? And the worst part is do any of you see the light at the end of the tunnel? We don't have any great players coming up on that side of the ball. This D could be stuck in mediocrity. And I don't really trust Colbert/Tomlin to draft players to fix it. Do you?

Tomlin is starting to remind me of Brian Billick. Brian was an offensive guy that couldn't put together an offense to save his life in Baltimore. But he had this great D that carried him for years. Brian was a good enough coach. The Ravens had a good GM getting him good players. But for the life of him, the guy couldn't help his team in his area of specialty. And it seemed like the Ravens were better off after Brian left.

Sometimes as a coach, you get stuck in a rut. You can't change/develop the talent fast enough. And sometimes the way the organization is going gets out of your control. Tomlin's a good coach. As good as just about any. But at the same time, it feels like we really have to shake things up to get this Defense back on track. And it feels like we're really struggling to bring in quality players. I think Tomlin/Colbert have to be held accountable for some of those issues.

Tomlin isn't on the hot seat.

bostonsteeler
12-15-2014, 12:00 PM

Considering that the team fired an OC two years after an SB and at the end of a 12-4 season, this could be possible.

Somehow, I doubt it though.

Personally, I think its a foolish idea.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2014, 12:13 PM
I believe that the team will take the DC to task for the D before the HC.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Considering that the team fired an OC two years after an SB and at the end of a 12-4 season, this could be possible.

Somehow, I doubt it though.

Personally, I think its a foolish idea.

I could see Lebeau getting the boot if he was in his first tenure as a DC like Arians because the D is under performing IMO. The only reason DL hasn't been fired is due to his legendary status in our org.

However, I don't see Tomlin getting the Arians treatment anytime soon.

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 12:43 PM
I could see Lebeau getting the boot if he was in his first tenure as a DC like Arians because the D is under performing IMO. The only reason DL hasn't been fired is due to his legendary status in our org.

However, I don't see Tomlin getting the Arians treatment anytime soon.

$$$$$ The tenured professor of defense won't get fired but hopefully he will be encouraged to do the right thing and move. Argue all you want but his defenses get worse every year. Only his supposed "legend status" and Rooney loyalty allows him to keep his job. Tomlin will coach the Steelers for many more years much to the disappointment of so many.

SS Laser
12-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Why does anyone think MT is a defensive coach? He was a WR when he played college ball. Started out coaching WR's the DB's. When he got his first NFL job it was to coach the DB's. 1yr as a DC got his foot in the door along with the Rooney rule to become HC. Now on to the drafting. How much scouting turn over has there been? It seems like for some time now they are very good at picking offensive players. So is the scouting department and coaches better at finding offensive talent as it seems? Or are the rules favoring O helping? Having a very good QB helps also. I am sure it is not so cut a dry. But some on here think it is.

Slapstick
12-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Tomlin isn't on the hot seat.

Tomlin has never been on the hot seat...

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Why does anyone think MT is a defensive coach? He was a WR when he played college ball. Started out coaching WR's the DB's. When he got his first NFL job it was to coach the DB's. 1yr as a DC got his foot in the door along with the Rooney rule to become HC. Now on to the drafting. How much scouting turn over has there been? It seems like for some time now they are very good at picking offensive players. So is the scouting department and coaches better at finding offensive talent as it seems? Or are the rules favoring O helping? Having a very good QB helps also. I am sure it is not so cut a dry. But some on here think it is.

We already interviewed Ron Rivera so we weren't required to interview Tomlin.

He got his foot in the door because he was from the Dungy tree.

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM
We already interviewed Ron Rivera so we weren't required to interview Tomlin.

He got his foot in the door because he was from the Dungy tree.
Everyone wants to conveniently forget the Rivera interview so they can play the "Rooney Rule" card. Look at who we were looking at: Riveria=mediocre at best; Whisenhunt=mediocre to poor/QB killer; Grimm=laughable that some wanted him considered. We got the best of who we interviewed and he has performed among the upper echelon of head coaches during the time he had the job. Right decision was made.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Everyone wants to conveniently forget the Rivera interview so they can play the "Rooney Rule" card. Look at who we were looking at: Riveria=mediocre at best; Whisenhunt=mediocre to poor/QB killer; Grimm=laughable that some wanted him considered. We got the best of who we interviewed and he has performed among the upper echelon of head coaches during the time he had the job. Right decision was made.

I could see if Tomlin was a failure.. sure, then bring it up. However, the guy is still winning.. it's time for some people to get over their fears and accept that Tomlin is a quality coach.

bostonsteeler
12-15-2014, 02:20 PM

Its stupid that anyone would want to bring up the hiring process for Tomlin 8 years after the fact. I'd forgotten about Rivera, but seriously, give it a break. He's our coach. If you want to judge him, do so based on his current performance and not some old fable from 10 years ago. How's that even relevant after 8 seasons and 2 trips to the SB?

Shawn
12-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Help me understand, do we still fire our terrible Head Coach at 9-5...I'm so confused. Tomlin's job is safe if he goes 0-16. We all know that. The better question is do we "retire" LeBeau still.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Its stupid that anyone would want to bring up the hiring process for Tomlin 8 years after the fact. I'd forgotten about Rivera, but seriously, give it a break. He's our coach. If you want to judge him, do so based on his current performance and not some old fable from 10 years ago. How's that even relevant after 8 seasons and 2 trips to the SB?

They have to bring those things up because there isn't much to bash Tomlin over. Sure we have lost some games to bad teams, more than we should but those losses don't multiply regardless of how many times his detractors bring them up.

We still have fans on here who want him to answer for his "unleashing hell" fiasco like he uses it and didn't learn from that mistake.

I know the nature of some fans is to point out the negative.. I used to do it with Ben even when we were winning games. I felt like he was taking too many unnecessary hits and wouldn't dump the rock off or throw it away. There was a time when I used to b!tch about Ben taking unnecessary hits but then Pap simply said "enjoy the ride" I pretty much did just that and it's much easier to watch the game.

I think some fans need to accept that Tomlin is the coach and until he retires or moves on it's pretty much a waste of time trying to argue over why he needs to be on the hot seat/fired.

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Tomlin's job is safe if he goes 0-16. We all know that. The better question is do we "retire" LeBeau still.
Has the defense really gotten better or do we just see periods of not being as bad as other weeks? If things do not change how many of the next drafts do we sell out on to fix this defense. We can't expect to replace 7-8 of the current players to "fit" LeBeau's way and expect to see the defense better in less than 3 years. We have to have a defense that works with the players we have plus maybe 2-3 or 4 additions and they need to contribute immediately not 2-3 years after they get here.

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Has the defense really gotten better or do we just see periods of not being as bad as other weeks? If things do not change how many of the next drafts do we sell out on to fix this defense. We can't expect to replace 7-8 of the current players to "fit" LeBeau's way and expect to see the defense better in less than 3 years. We have to have a defense that works with the players we have plus maybe 2-3 or 4 additions and they need to contribute immediately not 2-3 years after they get here.
Its getting better... I know you don't think so but this D was awful and now its less awful. Its also getting younger

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Its getting better... I know you don't think so but this D was awful and now its less awful. Its also getting younger
I think we can agree that "less awful" is not a standard that gets you through the play offs to another Super Bowl. How long do we wait for incremental changes to go from less awful to better than awful let alone good to great which should be the standard for a Steelers defense

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I think we can agree that "less awful" is not a standard that gets you through the play offs to another Super Bowl. How long do we wait for incremental changes to go from less awful to better than awful let alone good to great which should be the standard for a Steelers defense
We shouldn't have to wait much longer. Probably another year or 2 before we have a Steel Curtain. Until we find a stud NT we will struggle, hopefully McCullers is our guy.

I think this is also anyear where our sub par D could help us make a playoff run. Our O is hot right now, our D isn't but we are pretty good at getting off the field on 3rd down.

At some point in time though this has to be exhausting.... how can you carry around this much hate for a defense?

Oviedo
12-15-2014, 08:11 PM
We shouldn't have to wait much longer. Probably another year or 2 before we have a Steel Curtain. Until we find a stud NT we will struggle, hopefully McCullers is our guy.

I think this is also anyear where our sub par D could help us make a playoff run. Our O is hot right now, our D isn't but we are pretty good at getting off the field on 3rd down.

At some point in time though this has to be exhausting.... how can you carry around this much hate for a defense?

Yes, of course I hate a non-person entity because on a discussion board I have accurately seen the decline before many were willing to even acknowledge it was possible and I don't accept and get frustrated by the quality of play our defense has performed at on the field. But of course it is hate because I have a very different opinion and hating enough will no doubt compel the Steelers to do what I want by the sheer force of my will and tireless determination to get what I want.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-15-2014, 08:19 PM
9-5, not bad at all.
Let's stay on a roll and make a run, Steelers! 15-5, baby!
:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:t t1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1

feltdizz
12-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Let's stay on a roll and make a run, Steelers! 15-5, baby!
:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:t t1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1

that's what I'm talking about...

its so hard to get positive vibes after a win on here.

I think we win out and host a playoff game.

flippy
12-15-2014, 10:08 PM

Do you really think it's another year or 2 after waiting for 3-4 years? I'm just not convinced we have the players on the roster to get us over that hump. I think we have 1 great player in Cam and another above average player in Timmons. And the rest are mediocre as of right now.

Maybe a couple guys have some upside in Tuitt, Shazier, JJ, Spence, Williams, and Shark. But the jury is still out on most of those guys. We still need a pretty big overhaul on D at this point.

Personnel seems to be the biggest challenge for Colbert/Tomlin. How long have we had subpar CB, OLine, P, and ST that we just can't seem to address over and over in the draft or FA. The big problem we've had is in replenishing the roster. We haven't found our young studs in the draft on D to take over. And I think we're still going to be looking for them next offseason.

We still need to upgrade a lot of positions on the team. And the frustrating part is if we have to wait a couple years to get good, we may have let the window of opportunity pass us by because Ben can't play forever.

Here's another way to look at Tomlin - how would he have done without Big Ben @ QB? Would he have been successful. Let's say Tomlin had Kordell or Bubby Brister as his QB during his tenure. What kind of record would Tomlin have? I think that makes a huge difference. And it does for every coach. Cause at the end of the day, players win games. But it feels like year in and year out, we've got a lot of holes all around Ben. And he's overcome a lot of obstacles.

I think the same obstacles have existed on D and healthy Troy and James in their prime were so dominant that they overcame and made the D great.

Maybe that happens everywhere across the league?

steelsnis
12-15-2014, 11:35 PM
C'mon guys. I know it's fashionable to rip the D, but when was the last time a team with a high-level offense (bordering on dominant) had a lights-out defense as well???

Doesn't happen. In today's salary-cap driven NFL, it's next to impossible to have top-flight units on both sides of the ball.

This offense has been bordering on dominant this season and HAS been dominant in certain spots. The defense IS about a year away and despite what some may think, is getting better as the season progresses. It's pretty clear that they are caught btwn old and young right now. Troy is most likely gone next year, along with Ike, Keisel and Harrison. The young guys are gaining experience and will be in control on that side of the ball in 2015 like it or not. If they can just hold up their end of the bargain (which I absolutely think they will) this team has a MASSIVELY bright future.

So stop complaining that this isn't the Steel Curtain defense. Instead, enjoy the fact that we have the best offense this team has seen in 35+years, and we're gonna ride them as far as they can take us.

flippy
12-16-2014, 12:39 AM
C'mon guys. I know it's fashionable to rip the D, but when was the last time a team with a high-level offense (bordering on dominant) had a lights-out defense as well???

Doesn't happen. In today's salary-cap driven NFL, it's next to impossible to have top-flight units on both sides of the ball.

This offense has been bordering on dominant this season and HAS been dominant in certain spots. The defense IS about a year away and despite what some may think, is getting better as the season progresses. It's pretty clear that they are caught btwn old and young right now. Troy is most likely gone next year, along with Ike, Keisel and Harrison. The young guys are gaining experience and will be in control on that side of the ball in 2015 like it or not. If they can just hold up their end of the bargain (which I absolutely think they will) this team has a MASSIVELY bright future.

So stop complaining that this isn't the Steel Curtain defense. Instead, enjoy the fact that we have the best offense this team has seen in 35+years, and we're gonna ride them as far as they can take us.

Except we've spent more $s on our D starters than on the offense.

steelsnis
12-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Like I said...It's a transition time. Most of that money has been spent on guys who are most likely headed out the door next year (Worilds, Ike, Troy, Cam Thomas.)

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers-team-roster?season=2014

Depending on free agency/draft, next year's starting defense will be Heyward, McClendon, Tuitt on the D-Line, JJ, Moats (if re-signed), Timmons, Shazier at LB, Gay, McCain or Cortez at CB and Mitchell, Shamarko at S. After Timmons, the oldest guy on that D might be Mclendon at like 27.

That's a young, hungry defense that's NOT going to cost a lot. Now I'm sure there will be changes, but my point in the earlier post was that the older, more expensive guys are gone next year. If these guys continue to progress like I think they can, the D will be more than good enough to hold up their end of the bargain while the O flourishes.

flippy
12-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Like I said...It's a transition time. Most of that money has been spent on guys who are most likely headed out the door next year (Worilds, Ike, Troy, Cam Thomas.)

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers-team-roster?season=2014

Depending on free agency/draft, next year's starting defense will be Heyward, McClendon, Tuitt on the D-Line, JJ, Moats (if re-signed), Timmons, Shazier at LB, Gay, McCain or Cortez at CB and Mitchell, Shamarko at S. After Timmons, the oldest guy on that D might be Mclendon at like 27.

That's a young, hungry defense that's NOT going to cost a lot. Now I'm sure there will be changes, but my point in the earlier post was that the older, more expensive guys are gone next year. If these guys continue to progress like I think they can, the D will be more than good enough to hold up their end of the bargain while the O flourishes.

Hopefully some of those young guys become something in this league. Out of the young guys, I think Cam is the only guaranteed commodity. I'm hopeful in the others, but am not yet ready to count on them.

steelsnis
12-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Hopefully some of those young guys become something in this league. Out of the young guys, I think Cam is the only guaranteed commodity. I'm hopeful in the others, but am not yet ready to count on them.

I feel ya Flip, but that's why transitions are tough. You KNEW what you had with guys like Troy, Ike, Keisel, etc...Unfortunately, what they have isn't good enough any more (except Keisel, that guy's ageless). There's always risk and fear in the unknown, but it's time. As fans, we have to trust that the young guys waiting in the wings are ready to contribute. There's no way to have COMPLETE trust in any of them yet, but that's fine, it's something to be earned, just like Heyward did over the past few years.

That's what I expect of of guys like Tuitt, Shazier, Jarvis, Shamarko, etc moving forward. We finally have a young, dynamic offense, it's time for the D to make that transition as well.

feltdizz
12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I feel ya Flip, but that's why transitions are tough. You KNEW what you had with guys like Troy, Ike, Keisel, etc...Unfortunately, what they have isn't good enough any more (except Keisel, that guy's ageless). There's always risk and fear in the unknown, but it's time. As fans, we have to trust that the young guys waiting in the wings are ready to contribute. There's no way to have COMPLETE trust in any of them yet, but that's fine, it's something to be earned, just like Heyward did over the past few years.

That's what I expect of of guys like Tuitt, Shazier, Jarvis, Shamarko, etc moving forward. We finally have a young, dynamic offense, it's time for the D to make that transition as well.

Bustamolu...

We didn't know what we had with Troy his first year.

flippy
12-16-2014, 11:36 AM

I'm with you and hoping for the best. Tuitt, Shazier, and Shark look like athletic freaks for their relative positions and I'm high on those 3 at this point. I'm not sold on JJ yet and I really want to see something from him that makes me take notice.

I also have some hope for Spence and Williams who I really like.

I was also high on Cortez and Worilds prior to this season and I'm not really sure what happened to either of them, especially Cortez.

It feels like we still really need a top NT if we're going to continue with the 3-4 and we need some players in the secondary. That said, we'll probably target an OLB with our #1 pick in the draft again. :)

Oviedo
12-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm not sold on JJ yet and I really want to see something from him that makes me take notice.

Flippy--what you see is what you get. High motor and determination combined with struggling to disengage or overpower a good Left tackle. If he had the speed or burst to beat them around the end then that would be OK but he doesn't. He was the same in college...beat guys and got sacks because of his motor and never quit. Unfortunately in the NFL QBs don't hang onto the ball that long for that to be a factor on a regular basis. Hopefully, he can develop over the off season into something close to what we hope for but just not sure the tools are there. he may benefit by flipping to the left side and going against a Right Tackle who may not be as good as the typical Left tackle. Essentially he could be Worilds.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2014, 12:09 PM

There is a big time switcheroo in process in that regard, though.

Ben's getting paid.
Antonio's getting paid.
Heath's getting paid.
Pouncey's getting paid.
Gilbert's getting paid.

On defense, we are shedding our high contracts. Our high priced vets on D are gone or will be gone soon.
Timmons is getting paid.
Cortez got a contract comparable to what we gave Gilbert on offense, but we can get out of it without a Woodley-sized cap hit if he is not in our future plans.
Heyward will get a bump in pay next year since we exercised our option on him and should work out a long term extension with him.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2014, 06:06 PM
James C Wexell @jimwexell -

Steelers have a 78% chance playoffs, 46% chance 2 win AFCN, 32% 2 land wild card” hmm, more likely to finish 1st than 2nd.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

NorthCoast
12-16-2014, 10:23 PM

Posted elsewhere; the Steelers 2014 cap hit on offense is +$5M greater than defense.