PDA

View Full Version : Just Heard Steelers leading league in T.O.P. this year - wow!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Dang, if we can just get into the playoffs, we can really go far if we can "hide" our defense with that T.O.P. stat.

Here we go!

pittpete
12-14-2014, 05:17 PM
It really shows how suspect our defense has been when you look at TOP by the offense.
A win is a win but how many people felt confident giving the ball back to Atlanta at the end of that game?
You're lying if you say yes...LOL

feltdizz
12-14-2014, 05:57 PM
It really shows how suspect our defense has been when you look at TOP by the offense.
A win is a win but how many people felt confident giving the ball back to Atlanta at the end of that game?

damn dude.. we won. we all know this isn't the typical Steelers D.

Discipline of Steel
12-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Bellcow Effect

Flasteel
12-14-2014, 07:26 PM

Props to the offense on that stat, but you cannot discount the job the defense does in getting teams off the field. We do not lead the league in TOP without the defense doing the job on 3rd down. Period.

bostonsteeler
12-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Props to the offense on that stat, but you cannot discount the job the defense does in getting teams off the field. We do not lead the league in TOP without the defense doing the job on 3rd down. Period.

The opponents also get off the field by scoring TDs and FGs.

pittpete
12-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Dont understand how you can come to that conclusion Fla?
3rd down %(37) doesnt tell the whole story when teams are moving the ball on 1st and 2nd downs

@ feltdizz: Understand that, and im enjoying this win no matter what.

bostonsteeler
12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Well, a winning record. A chance to get to the playoffs. A chance to go all the way. I'll take it.

Next season? Yes, we need some playmakers in the secondary -- a top safety and/or CB. But for today, they looked good. Will Gay has given up a few this season, but he's got more than he's given. 4 ints, 3 pick sixes, better even than Rod the Bod ever did.

NorthCoast
12-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Yep. Steelers defense leads the league in fewest # opponent 3rd downs per game and 3rd down conversions per game, and 3rd in opponent 3rd down conversion %.

papillon
12-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Forget all the stats, if the defense can limit the other team to 20 points per game the offense should be able to win the game for them. On the other hand, I'm glad that the defense didn't have to go back on the field and make a stop. Overall, I like where the defense is at and improving, but on a drive by drive basis, I'd rather they not need a critical stop to win the game (yet).

Pappy

Cinnjerm3000
12-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Forget all the stats, if the defense can limit the other team to 20 points per game the offense should be able to win the game for them. On the other hand, I'm glad that the defense didn't have to go back on the field and make a stop. Overall, I like where the defense is at and improving, but on a drive by drive basis, I'd rather they not need a critical stop to win the game (yet).

Pappy

I'm almost at a point with this defense that, going forward, should there be limited time and the other team has the ball with a chance to go up by 6 or fewer points, I'd prefer letting the other team score as fast as possible just to get the ball back to our offense with an opportunity (and more importantly time) to win the game.

Flasteel
12-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Dont understand how you can come to that conclusion Fla?
3rd down %(37) doesnt tell the whole story when teams are moving the ball on 1st and 2nd downs

@ feltdizz: Understand that, and im enjoying this win no matter what.

What? How do you not understand such a simple concept? Think about it a little while longer. It also may help to read the stats NorthCoast posted...and Bostonsteeler's post. :-)

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Which is everything you need to know about the defense's 19th ranking. That's inflated by the offense keeping it off the field.

Slapstick
12-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Our W-L record may also be inflated by the 4 INT returns for TDs...

RobinCole
12-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Haven't most of our good defenses of the past benefited from high TOP from the offense? Recall 1976 when we gave up just 53 points over a nine-game stretch? A lot of that was due to Harris and Bleier each gaining more than a thousand yards rushing. So one could say that that defense's rankings were "inflated" too. Troy has said many times that our goal is to control the ball and keep the D off the field. What's changed is that the D is giving up big plays when it IS on the field.