PDA

View Full Version : Chris Rock: Roethlisberger is ‘the original Cosby’

SteelCrazy
12-11-2014, 12:46 PM
During an appearance Tuesday in Baltimore, Rock referred to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as “the original Cosby,” according to the Baltimore Sun.

“That’s horrible, that’s gonna go everywhere,” he added for his anti-Steelers crowd of Ravens supporters while promoting his new film “Top Five.”

In 2010, Roethlisberger was investigated for allegedly sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student in the bathroom of a Georgia nightclub. No charges were filed, but Roethlisberger was suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for the first six games of the next season. Roethlisberger also was the subject of a lawsuit accusing him of raping a woman in Lake Tahoe in 2008.

Bill Cosby faces a staggering range of rape accusations from numerous women from over the course of his Hollywood career. The recent spate of accusations against Cosby began in October when comedian Hannibal Buress spotlighted Cosby’s questionable history.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/10/chris-rock-calls-ben-roethlisberger-the-original-cosby/

SidSmythe
12-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Come on everyone. The Court of Public Opinion Rules in America.

RobinCole
12-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Sad but true. The most ignorant "court" rules. Gruber is right. Whole lotta stupid out there.

Oviedo
12-11-2014, 01:16 PM
During an appearance Tuesday in Baltimore, Rock referred to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as “the original Cosby,” according to the Baltimore Sun.

“That’s horrible, that’s gonna go everywhere,” he added for his anti-Steelers crowd of Ravens supporters while promoting his new film “Top Five.”

In 2010, Roethlisberger was investigated for allegedly sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student in the bathroom of a Georgia nightclub. No charges were filed, but Roethlisberger was suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for the first six games of the next season. Roethlisberger also was the subject of a lawsuit accusing him of raping a woman in Lake Tahoe in 2008.

Bill Cosby faces a staggering range of rape accusations from numerous women from over the course of his Hollywood career. The recent spate of accusations against Cosby began in October when comedian Hannibal Buress spotlighted Cosby’s questionable history.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/10/chris-rock-calls-ben-roethlisberger-the-original-cosby/
Following that assinine logic, I guess Ray Lewis is the "original John Gotti" then

feltdizz
12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Following that assinine logic, I guess Ray Lewis is the "original John Gotti" then

Ray Lewis is called a murderer on this board all the time.

RobinCole
12-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes, but with much more basis for the accusation than ever existed about Ben being a "rapist". Ben was never arrested or charged with a crime. Lewis was indicted for murder. Two weeks into the murder trial, the charge was dropped in exchange for his agreement to testify against his co-defendants and to plead guilty to obstruction of justice, which he did.

feltdizz
12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Yes, but with much more basis for the accusation than ever existed about Ben being a "rapist". Ben was never arrested or charged with a crime. Lewis was indicted for murder. Two weeks into the murder trial, the charge was dropped in exchange for his agreement to testify against his co-defendants and to plead guilty to obstruction of justice, which he did.

we are talking about public opinion.. no one cares about arrest or charges unless they are a fan of the Steelers.

RobinCole
12-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Again, the public opinion expressed here about Lewis has more basis in fact than the public opinion expressed elsewhere about Ben.

7 UP
12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
I hope Goodell dosent read this article. Hes likely re-suspend Ben to make sure and keep public outcry in check.

SidSmythe
12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I've never called Ray Lewis a "murderer" but I of course have my suspicions.
I have my suspicions about Ben also but I would never call him a Rapist so easily like the people Gruber was talking about.

feltdizz
12-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Again, the public opinion expressed here about Lewis has more basis in fact than the public opinion expressed elsewhere about Ben.

it doesn't matter though...

the public doesn't care about who has more facts behind their story.

Flasteel
12-11-2014, 05:34 PM
I think the opporunity exists for this comment to actally help Ben's image. Some journalist somewhere will undoubtedly pen something that not only states that he was never arrested or charged, but will highlight the kind of guy he has become. He gives a lot back to his community (and communities around the country) is married with a couple of kids, and is the unquestioned leader of this team. Regardless of any perceptions of guilt or innocence back then, Roethlisberger is a great story of growth and maturity...on and off the field. I hope that is the ultimate story that surfaces.

8467thekraken
12-11-2014, 06:56 PM
I think the opporunity exists for this comment to actally help Ben's image. Some journalist somewhere will undoubtedly pen something that not only states that he was never arrested or charged, but will highlight the kind of guy he has become. He gives a lot back to his community (and communities around the country) is married with a couple of kids, and is the unquestioned leader of this team. Regardless of any perceptions of guilt or innocence back then, Roethlisberger is a great story of growth and maturity...on and off the field. I hope that is the ultimate story that surfaces.

I give this a +1

bostonsteeler
12-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Ray Lewis is called a murderer on this board all the time.

Difference -- Lewis was at the murder scene, and definitely involved.

The nut in Reno was proved to be, well, a lying nut. The midgeville incident -- zero proof. Almost certainly, nothing happened.

Notleadpoisoned
12-12-2014, 12:52 PM
How can Ben be the "Original Cosby" when Cosby was allegedly drugging and raping women years before Ben was even born?

papillon
12-12-2014, 01:32 PM
How can Ben be the "Original Cosby" when Cosby was allegedly drugging and raping women years before Ben was even born?

Because haters gonna hate, Hollywood seems to be able to say whatever they please without thinking or consequence, just an observation over the years.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2014, 01:28 AM

Yeah, the whole notion is so ridiculous, it really makes Chris Rock look stupid, IMO.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Desperate words of a failed comic. If I were Ben I'd ask ask lawyer to see if anything legally slanderous were said, and if so, I send the word that this is not acceptable by suing him for everything he can get.

8467thekraken
12-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Desperate words of a failed comic. If I were Ben I'd ask ask lawyer to see if anything legally slanderous were said, and if so, I send the word that this is not acceptable by suing him for everything he can get.

Probably too vague of a statement for Ben to go after him.

Saying Ben is "the original Cosby" could mean Ben is hilarious. We all know what Chris Rock "meant", but what he meant and what he "said" are quite different.

Regardless, it was a weak low blow by Rock and he isn't welcome in Pittsburgh anymore.

RobinCole
12-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Ben is a public figure, which means, according to a Supreme Court decision some decades ago, it would be tougher for him to prevail in a slander/libel suit than it would be for the average shlub. Without getting into the details, that case, plus the fact that Rock is a comedian (albeit a stupid one) pretty much makes legal action a waste of time.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Probably too vague of a statement for Ben to go after him.

Saying Ben is "the original Cosby" could mean Ben is hilarious. We all know what Chris Rock "meant", but what he meant and what he "said" are quite different.

Regardless, it was a weak low blow by Rock and he isn't welcome in Pittsburgh anymore.

And if I have the chance, I'll try to make sure he is legally heckled by audience members in their Steeler Jerseys if he ever comes to San Antonio.

You know, that makes me think ... I wonder if there is any way to organize a Black and Gold nationwide heckling campaign of this guy?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-14-2014, 01:35 AM
Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper has been indicted on rape charges: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24882363/darren-sharper-indicted-on-rape-charges-in-new-orleans. Accused of raping 9 women in 5 states. Allegedly, he was drugging his victims before raping them, IIRC.

Might be a more fitting target of Chris Rock's jokes. At least he's been charged with a crime, which Ben never was.

bostonsteeler
12-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper has been indicted on rape charges: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24882363/darren-sharper-indicted-on-rape-charges-in-new-orleans. Accused of raping 9 women in 5 states. Allegedly, he was drugging his victims before raping them, IIRC.

Might be a more fitting target of Chris Rock's jokes. At least he's been charged with a crime, which Ben never was.

Unlikely. Rock picked Ben because he was white to counterbalance Cosby. Sharper's the same color as Cosby.
This behavior has nothing to do with color -- we've read about peds and rapists, and they're of all shades. But for Rock, this has become a race thing.

Slapstick
12-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Rock picked Ben because he was in Baltimore. That's it. Not race.

If Rock had been in Dallas, for example, Ben's name wouldn't have come up...

feltdizz
12-14-2014, 10:30 AM
It was the perfect storm. Chris Rock picked Ben because he was in Baltimore AND because he is white...

and its not that serious.