PDA

View Full Version : so with keisel out, we gonna bring mauro up?

squidkid
12-01-2014, 10:11 AM

SidSmythe
12-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I thought the same thing yesterday. Doh!!!

B&GinNC
12-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I thought he was on the 53 man in Pittsburgh West.

SidSmythe
12-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I thought he was on the 53 man in Pittsburgh West.

He is. He was just being a smart ass.

Nick Williams is gone too.

feltdizz
12-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty sure we can find another Mauro.. it's not like he is lighting it up out in AZ.

..and yes, I'm aware Arians gave him props last week but he has his reasons for trying to take shots at our FO.

Ghost
12-01-2014, 11:30 AM
After 2 games I'd take Mauro over Cam Thomas for sure. Thomas looks like a Div 1AA kid playing against Bama every game. Just pushed all over the place.

squidkid
12-01-2014, 11:48 AM
maybe landry jones can play DE

SidSmythe
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Sean Mahan didn't work out at CENTER. Lets try him at DL??

Iron City Inc.
12-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Hemer out of Wisconsin next man up.

phillyesq
12-01-2014, 02:13 PM
He is. He was just being a smart ass.

Nick Williams is gone too.

It's a shame that both of those guys are gone, but you can't fault the Steelers for re-signing Keisel. With how awful Thomas is and the fact that Tuitt still has a long way to go, they needed somebody who could play.

My issue with the roster construction is keeping Justin Brown or Landry Jones over Mauro. I understand keeping Brown for a few weeks, but since he's proved that he cannot get the job done and is now inactive, why take up the roster spot with him?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Jones, brown, Webb, heyward bey, ventrone

Pick a name, they offer zero going forward

Losing Mauro for these bums was gross mismanagement at the bottom of the roster, imo

Iron City Inc.
12-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Geathers 13 yr vet signed to be stop gap. Would have liked to see Hemer get a shot but he isn't ready and since we are still in it a vet move is okay.

hawaiiansteel
12-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Geathers 13 yr vet signed to be stop gap.

Geathers is 27 years old, did he start playing in the NFL when he was 14?

Iron City Inc.
12-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Geathers is 27 years old, did he start playing in the NFL when he was 14?

True my bad didn't realize he got to the NFL in 2010. Five year vet. Lets hope he can add something as we surely need it.

Rara
12-01-2014, 09:59 PM
He's just a stop gap, period. You would think Tuitt would be the next man up, taking over for Keisel.

Steelhere10
12-01-2014, 10:01 PM
It's a shame that both of those guys are gone, but you can't fault the Steelers for re-signing Keisel. With how awful Thomas is and the fact that Tuitt still has a long way to go, they needed somebody who could play.

My issue with the roster construction is keeping Justin Brown or Landry Jones over Mauro. I understand keeping Brown for a few weeks, but since he's proved that he cannot get the job done and is now inactive, why take up the roster spot with him?Because of Johnny boy Mitchell who is stuck in his ways.

Ghost
12-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Total scrub. At a Cam Thomas level. Had been inactive the last 2 weeks and cut by the lowly Skins. Yikes.

Slapstick
12-01-2014, 10:54 PM
He's just a stop gap, period. You would think Tuitt would be the next man up, taking over for Keisel.

Who says this guy is the starter?

He's taking Keisel's roster spot...not necessarily all of his snap count...

pittpete
12-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Let Troy play DE,hes up on the line 9 out of 10 times anyway

WindyCitySteel
12-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Time to scrap the complex 2-gap system and get young players on the field sooner. Tuitt wasn't a high pick because he could occupy DL and play gap control, he was because he blew people up. While the defensive line languishes, they're trying to coach that out of him and dumb him down for the system.

Mauro and Williams gone, Tuitt struggling, McCullers struggling to get snaps, and now with Keisel and McLendon hurt they are screwed.

WVSteelerfan
12-02-2014, 08:11 PM
I hate our 2 gap DL play. It nearly takes the DL players out of the game. Too much reading to be able to get consistent QB pressure from the DL. Single gap responsibility allows all of the front seven to play faster and more aggressive in my opinion.

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette -

Tomlin: Happy with Cam Thomas' performance.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

WindyCitySteel
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Tomlin is a complete and utter dolt. He's flown this franchise directly into the ground. Keis, Deebo, Ike, and Troy are all gone next year. Maybe Heath, too, because of his cap number. Ben will be the last Cowher straw he can siphon from.

WindyCitySteel
12-03-2014, 08:57 AM
I hate our 2 gap DL play. It nearly takes the DL players out of the game. Too much reading to be able to get consistent QB pressure from the DL. Single gap responsibility allows all of the front seven to play faster and more aggressive in my opinion.

The single best thing that could happen this offseason is to dismiss the defensive coaching staff and start over with a 4-3 coach, or at least a 3-4 who teaches 1-gap. Or stop drafting 1st and 2nd round DE's and spending 3 years making them unlearn everything that made them 1st and 2nd rounders.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-03-2014, 09:41 AM

That's reason enough to fire him right there.

Iron City Inc.
12-03-2014, 01:17 PM
The single best thing that could happen this offseason is to dismiss the defensive coaching staff and start over with a 4-3 coach, or at least a 3-4 who teaches 1-gap. Or stop drafting 1st and 2nd round DE's and spending 3 years making them unlearn everything that made them 1st and 2nd rounders.
Lombardi Noll and Shula together could not take this D and make it a championship D. It's in need of more talent regardless of scheme.

Ghost
12-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Lombardi Noll and Shula together could not take this D and make it a championship D. It's in need of more talent regardless of scheme.

But doesn't that fall on the coaching staff - to draft and bring in players that can contribute. I fully understand they are missing their last 2 number 1 picks but the list of secondary picks is beyond atrocious over the last 5 years: Brown, Butler, Allen, Frederick, Richardson, Hawthorne. This list is scarier than watching a double bill of 'The Exorcist' and 'The Omen' as a child!

Jury still out on on an undersized Thomas who's always hurt.

I hear people talking about how a cook can only make a good meal given the right ingredients. But the "cooks" for the Steelers did the shopping. Unfortunately it was in a dumpster behind Giant Eagle instead of Whole Foods.

feltdizz
12-03-2014, 03:37 PM
We draft these talentless CB's for a reason.

Our scheme is all about late round scrubs at CB.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2014, 04:27 PM

You could also make the argument that we are relying on late round scrubs at wideout too...with 6th rounder Antonio Brown, 4th rounder Martavis Bryant, and 3rd rounder Markus Wheaton, but since those aren't exactly scrubs, we don't see it as devaluing the wideout position when the highest selection we have taken at WR in the last 8 drafts is Limas Sweed.

Sure, we have swung and missed with some later round corners of late. Of course, we could use 1st or 2nd round picks on corners and end up with Chad Scott and Ricardo Colclough, and we could use 4th and 5th round picks and end up with Ike Taylor and William Gay.

feltdizz
12-03-2014, 06:36 PM
You could also make the argument that we are relying on late round scrubs at wideout too...with 6th rounder Antonio Brown, 4th rounder Martavis Bryant, and 3rd rounder Markus Wheaton, but since those aren't exactly scrubs, we don't see it as devaluing the wideout position when the highest selection we have taken at WR in the last 8 drafts is Limas Sweed.

Sure, we have swung and missed with some later round corners of late. Of course, we could use 1st or 2nd round picks on corners and end up with Chad Scott and Ricardo Colclough, and we could use 4th and 5th round picks and end up with Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Getting late rounders at WR to perform in this offense has never been a problem. You can draft a WR in the 5th round, throw him in a few packages and more than likely if he has some talent we will see it.

But at the CB position? Nope.. it aint happenning. Ike is our best corner and any Steeler fan who is truly honest will admit he is no more than a 2nd on any other team even during his best years because he can't catch or play the ball in the air.

I aslo think Chad Scott and Coclough are great examples of how we view talent at the CB position... obviously our FO see something in these players that no one else sees. Look at Cortez, seriously... we gave this guy money and look at where he is half a year into his new contract.

Next year we should go CB first round no questions asked but if we did it would be the one CB who sucks azzz.

squidkid
12-03-2014, 08:04 PM

yet the true fans raved about, what great picks they were, steals of the drsft, instant upgrades, yadda yadda when they were selected......hmmm

feltdizz
12-03-2014, 08:51 PM
yet the true fans raved about, what great picks they were, steals of the drsft, instant upgrades, yadda yadda when they were selected......hmmm

Did you get jumped/beat up at a Steeler draft party a few years ago?

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Getting late rounders at WR to perform in this offense has never been a problem. You can draft a WR in the 5th round, throw him in a few packages and more than likely if he has some talent we will see it.

But at the CB position? Nope.. it aint happenning. Ike is our best corner and any Steeler fan who is truly honest will admit he is no more than a 2nd on any other team even during his best years because he can't catch or play the ball in the air.

I aslo think Chad Scott and Coclough are great examples of how we view talent at the CB position... obviously our FO see something in these players that no one else sees. Look at Cortez, seriously... we gave this guy money and look at where he is half a year into his new contract.

Next year we should go CB first round no questions asked but if we did it would be the one CB who sucks azzz.

But if we suck at evaluating corners in the draft, should we be using premium picks to select sucky corners?

Belichick sucks at evaluating wideouts in the draft, so he uses his top picks on defense or o-line instead, rather than wasting a top pick on another seemingly inevitable sucky WR.

squidkid
12-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Did you get jumped/beat up at a Steeler draft party a few years ago?

it really bothers you how right i was and how wrong you were about our past drafts eh?

Iron City Inc.
12-04-2014, 09:17 PM
But doesn't that fall on the coaching staff - to draft and bring in players that can contribute. I fully understand they are missing their last 2 number 1 picks but the list of secondary picks is beyond atrocious over the last 5 years: Brown, Butler, Allen, Frederick, Richardson, Hawthorne. This list is scarier than watching a double bill of 'The Exorcist' and 'The Omen' as a child!

Jury still out on on an undersized Thomas who's always hurt.

I hear people talking about how a cook can only make a good meal given the right ingredients. But the "cooks" for the Steelers did the shopping. Unfortunately it was in a dumpster behind Giant Eagle instead of Whole Foods.
Yeah some good points made. If the coaching staff has a large factor in the draft selection process then that aspect does need to be reviewed. I'm not sure just how big a roll they play in setting up the board or making the final selection. I'm not sure if we'll ever have the true answer to this question.
I agree in that Thomas is still a question mark.
The poor secondary picks were at least not early picks. Some pressure has to be on this staff to bring in that early round db and we better be right more then once in 15. I for one would not mind us going cb cb 1 n 2 in 15.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2014, 11:01 PM
it really bothers you how right i was and how wrong you were about our past drafts eh?

Your own draft, still posted in your signature, predicted Ryan Shazier, Martavis Bryant, Dri Archer, and Daniel McCullers, which is remarkable. Did those draft choices suck in your mind as well?

feltdizz
12-04-2014, 11:18 PM

Do you have multiple personalities? Are you high or drunk?

you have 4 of our draft picks in your sig you idiot.... smh.

Once again, you FAIL.

feltdizz
12-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Your own draft, still posted in your signature, predicted Ryan Shazier, Martavis Bryant, Dri Archer, and Daniel McCullers, which is remarkable. Did those draft choices suck in your mind as well?

He is a little slow...

Every week Squid makes a post saying real Steeler fans gave every draft an A even though this board spends all day arguing over which draft picks were a mistake.