PDA

View Full Version : So, I guess no one's going to mention...

Cinnjerm3000
11-18-2014, 06:26 AM
I know people (myself included) were not thrilled about the way the defense played in tonight's game, but I think it's worth acknowledging how equally valuable they were to engineering a comeback as Bell was. Through the second half they held the Titans to just a TD and forced them three and out on their final two possessions. Such an effort doesn't absolve them of their first half deficiencies, but to dismiss their contribution to winning is ignorant.

Slapstick
11-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Also, whatever else the D did or did not do, the D scored a TD as well...

Ghost
11-18-2014, 09:15 AM
I think this D is bad. Real bad. Mettenberger set the rookie record for yards on a Monday night. On at least 2 drives in the second half it was a bad throw to an open WR, not good defense, that stopped the drive for the titans. Points are great but that was a horrendous throw. The worst DB in the league could have intercepted that. 5 sacks by the Ravens last week - 0 for the Steelers. I think he got pushed down twice. Kudos to them on a good day for stopping the run. The linebackers were almost invisible and for much of the game Allen and Mitchell were non-existent.

A win's a win though and it's great to go into the bye week with a W instead of taking a loss to stew about for 2 weeks.

feltdizz
11-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Also, whatever else the D did or did not do, the D scored a TD as well...

Gay taketh and giveth away....

steelsnis
11-18-2014, 09:31 AM
I think this D is bad. Real bad. Mettenberger set the rookie record for yards on a Monday night. On at least 2 drives in the second half it was a bad throw to an open WR, not good defense, that stopped the drive for the titans. Points are great but that was a horrendous throw. The worst DB in the league could have intercepted that. 5 sacks by the Ravens last week - 0 for the Steelers. I think he got pushed down twice. Kudos to them on a good day for stopping the run. The linebackers were almost invisible and for much of the game Allen and Mitchell were non-existent.

A win's a win though and it's great to go into the bye week with a W instead of taking a loss to stew about for 2 weeks.

I think it's important to remember who was actually on the field on D last night. Will Allen, Antwon Blake, Spence, Moats, McCullers...the list goes on.

This is NOT the Steelers defense they envisioned at the beginning of the year. Help is on the way, and this Bye couldn't come at a better time. They could potentially get 5 players back from injury over the next couple of weeks. Shazier, Polamalu, Ike, Shamarko, Mclendon. Not to mention Jarvis' cast is off and he's working his way back.

SidSmythe
11-18-2014, 10:00 AM
We have a personnel problem. We have some young guys who I think can be very good players but right now we are lacking especially at LOLB. This guy can't stay on his feet for the life of him. How many times do we see him losing his feet which tells me he doesn't use his leverage wisely. He needs to take lessons from Jimmy H.!

feltdizz
11-18-2014, 10:09 AM
I think it's important to remember who was actually on the field on D last night. Will Allen, Antwon Blake, Spence, Moats, McCullers...the list goes on.

This is NOT the Steelers defense they envisioned at the beginning of the year. Help is on the way, and this Bye couldn't come at a better time. They could potentially get 5 players back from injury over the next couple of weeks. Shazier, Polamalu, Ike, Shamarko, Mclendon. Not to mention Jarvis' cast is off and he's working his way back.

the list of injuries on our D is long as hell...

when you think about it our D is actually playing pretty well with all these youngins on the field

fezziwig
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Will Ike Taylor be back after this bye week ?

AxnJxn
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
the list of injuries on our D is long as hell...

when you think about it our D is actually playing pretty well with all these youngins on the field

I don't think our injuries are significantly more than the majority of the teams in the NFL, though. Some teams have lost significant players on defense for the rest of the season (Cincy/Baltimore), or for off the field issues (SF). Yeah, we've lost players, but that's standard in the NFL. It would be an anomaly if we hadn't lost anyone at this point.

I guess my point is, the backups have to produce in a standard NFL season for success. We're not really any different than most NFL teams with respect to that.

fezziwig
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Outside of Troy with injuries, have we seen enough of the other injured players to say they can be a difference maker ?

SidSmythe
11-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Outside of Troy with injuries, have we seen enough of the other injured players to say they can be a difference maker ?

I think IKE would make a HUGE difference right now.

fezziwig
11-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Yes, I should have mentioned Ike along with Troy.

fezziwig
11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
I don't know how the Steelers can avoid not drafting a corner next season at number one...... Unless the guys a project or something but in any event, they should do free agency if at all possible. I hope they don't see Cortez Allen as still their go to guy...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-18-2014, 11:37 AM
I've said many times that Ike has been the most underrated and underappreciated Steeler of this generation. He drops picks, but he is usually in position to make the play. He also makes a lot of QBs avoid his zone.

It will be interesting to see how he is used when he returns. After a bad start, he had played well the last couple of games before he got hurt. As well as McCain and Blake played at times since then, we are seeing that they do not belong on the field in regular duty. Time to get the troops back in.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2014, 02:14 PM
I've said many times that Ike has been the most underrated and underappreciated Steeler of this generation. He drops picks, but he is usually in position to make the play. He also makes a lot of QBs avoid his zone.

It will be interesting to see how he is used when he returns. After a bad start, he had played well the last couple of games before he got hurt. As well as McCain and Blake played at times since then, we are seeing that they do not belong on the field in regular duty. Time to get the troops back in.

Absolutely. Get Ike and Troy back in the secondary, McLendon to rotate with McCullers, Jarvis to rotate with Deebo (meaning Moats can rotate with Worilds also), and Shazier to rotate with Spence, Williams, and Timmons inside. Will be great to have some fresh legs for the stretch run.

feltdizz
11-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't think our injuries are significantly more than the majority of the teams in the NFL, though. Some teams have lost significant players on defense for the rest of the season (Cincy/Baltimore), or for off the field issues (SF). Yeah, we've lost players, but that's standard in the NFL. It would be an anomaly if we hadn't lost anyone at this point.

I guess my point is, the backups have to produce in a standard NFL season for success. We're not really any different than most NFL teams with respect to that.

yeah... I never said a word about losing more players to injury than other teams.

Oviedo
11-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I think IKE would make a HUGE difference right now.

I agree. Our current secondary look like the Keystone Cops out there. I would also have Allen back in the line up. The guys in there now aren't any better.

feltdizz
11-18-2014, 02:21 PM

Steeler fans said the same thing about Hampton, Aaron Smith and Heath Miller

Pretty sure it's not true either because Steeler fans appreciated all these guys.

feltdizz
11-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I agree. Our current secondary look like the Keystone Cops out there. I would also have Allen back in the line up. The guys in there now aren't any better.

ehhh... not sure about that. Allen was toast this year. I think we are playing better in the secondary without him.

AxnJxn
11-18-2014, 04:59 PM
yeah... I never said a word about losing more players to injury than other teams.

True. I think my point is I don't think our list of injuries is significantly longer than the majority of the teams in the NFL.

papillon
11-18-2014, 05:01 PM

This year however, he wasn't having a great year when he was injured. I still believe him to be the best CB on the roster, regardless of his play prior to injury.

Pappy