PDA

View Full Version : No way McCain starts ahead of Ike ... right??

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-06-2014, 11:15 PM
I've been reading Ike could be back as soon as this weekend.

McCain has been playing fast and hungry, and has 1 or 2 more pics in the past few weeks than Ike has had on what seems like a month of Sundays. And there's also some chemistry now between Gay and McCain, and the rest of the guys.

Knowing that there's about a zero chance Ike will not start when he's healthy ... does anyone think there's an argument for leaving McCain in instead?

SS Laser
11-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Well I think it is good idea to work him back in at first thought. But he has earned the chance to come right back in and start. Plus he is a favorite vet player. I love Ike as a player. But it is working now so I am not sure what is the correct way to do it. Seems to me that rotating guys is working very well on both sides of the ball right now. Might as well do the same with Ike I think.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-07-2014, 12:31 AM
McCain is making things happen. I'd leave him in as the starter and let Ike work in rotation...see how he performs.

McCain may be the better option at this point.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Seeing as Ike's injury was a hand, and his conditioning regimen, his legs should be ready to play. Considering again that the only purpose of his hands are as fly swatters, he should be close to 100% to start. Regardless of who gets the start, I can see a rotation in which Ike and McCain split to start, with Ike's snaps growing by the week.

Snatch98
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Ike is a team first guy. If Ike is good to go this weekend I would expect him to rotate in somewhere but I can't see him forcing his way in over McCain or do I believe he should start over McCain until he gets his game legs back. Although I'm sure he's been training tirelessly during his injury. Bottom line the coaches are going to start whomever is best suited to help the Steelers win.

K Train
11-07-2014, 02:45 PM
mccain has earned playing time. the starter doesnt matter, they will both play

sick beats
11-07-2014, 03:23 PM
An argument? I'd say it's an iron clad argument, to keep McCain in as he is. Let Ike come in nickle and/or dime packages. This group has got it's legs under itself, why mess around with something that is working, at this point?

RuthlessBurgher
11-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Seeing as Ike's injury was a hand, and his conditioning regimen, his legs should be ready to play. Considering again that the only purpose of his hands are as fly swatters, he should be close to 100% to start. Regardless of who gets the start, I can see a rotation in which Ike and McCain split to start, with Ike's snaps growing by the week.

Ike could have had both hands amputated at the wrist and still be essentially the same player. He ain't exactly known for those hands. While he may not have the elite speed that he had a decade ago, with his grueling workout regimen, he's still got good enough speed, and has solid veteran instincts. If he can't catch the ball, what else is new?

I would imagine, that when Ike is healthy enough to play once again, that they may keep Gay and McCain as the starting CB's in base, but Ike would be the first CB to come in sub package passing situations ahead of Antwan Blake and Cortez Allen. Ike would likely play outside in nickel/dime, with McCain sliding over into the slot CB position.

7 UP
11-07-2014, 05:31 PM
If Ikes ready to go Im startin Ike. MCcain will be on the field plenty in the nickle.

sick beats
11-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Ike could have had both hands amputated at the wrist and still be essentially the same player. He ain't exactly known for those hands. While he may not have the elite speed that he had a decade ago, with his grueling workout regimen, he's still got good enough speed, and has solid veteran instincts. If he can't catch the ball, what else is new?

I would imagine, that when Ike is healthy enough to play once again, that they may keep Gay and McCain as the starting CB's in base, but Ike would be the first CB to come in sub package passing situations ahead of Antwan Blake and Cortez Allen. Ike would likely play outside in nickel/dime, with McCain sliding over into the slot CB position.

One thing I got to give Ike credit for is toughness. After he clearly knew his forearm was snapped like a dry tree branch, he was fine and not emotional within minutes. It was like, "Yea, my arms broke, OK, just gotta deal with it, no biggie" in such a quick time frame. It's almost like, since it's a relatively easy injury to come back from, he wasn't sweating it. But usually when a person breaks a major bone, some shock is involved. But not with Ike.

SidSmythe
11-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Maybe IKE's repaired forearm will be able to magically catch balls now.

Kinda like the kid in Rookie of the Year. When his ligaments healed he could throw a ball really hard??

SS Laser
11-08-2014, 02:34 AM
No BS here. But Monday night Texans game Ike and others were on the field early. He was catching passes with one hand the other still in a brace! I tried to get a picture but could not before they moved on. He did drop one that I seen. LOL. Of course I was shocked when I realized it was Ike catching one handed passes. But there was no pressure to do so. :)

Eich
11-08-2014, 09:28 AM
No BS here. But Monday night Texans game Ike and others were on the field early. He was catching passes with one hand the other still in a brace! I tried to get a picture but could not before they moved on. He did drop one that I seen. LOL. Of course I was shocked when I realized it was Ike catching one handed passes. But there was no pressure to do so. :)

When I've gone to training camp, I've seen Ike catching lots of passes. Practicing it. But for whatever reason, his hands turn into honey glazed tree stumps at game time.

NorthCoast
11-08-2014, 10:03 AM
When I've gone to training camp, I've seen Ike catching lots of passes. Practicing it. But for whatever reason, his hands turn into honey glazed tree stumps at game time.

World of difference between catching a pass you are anticipating vs one you're not sure of is coming.

I'm an Ike fan and have always been one. Maybe this is the time to begin unwinding his role in the secondary? He likely won't be back next season, so the Steelers have 7 more games to get evaluation on the other guys. This could decide at what point in the draft they take a CB.

Sugar
11-08-2014, 06:26 PM

I've heard that Shaq could hit free-throws in practice too. Some guys must get a mental block when it matters.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-19-2014, 10:08 AM
It's not Ike's inability to make a pick that makes me a little uncomfortable, as frustrating as it is to see that happen over and over. It's that, at least in my mind eye, he seemed to be collecting more and more "1st down at the spot of the penalty" fouls before he got hurt, seemed like he was getting toasted more and more. It was like the opposing QBs were almost just chucking it to his side knowing they'd get huge yardage whether it was a completion or not.

I'd be surprised if Ike didn't step right back in where he was before, but I guess I have at least mixed feelings about that.