PDA

View Full Version : No Shows at Steeler Games

Discipline of Steel
11-01-2014, 07:51 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24775640

Apparently, Roger Goodell was concerned about the number of empty seats at Heinz Field and Mr. Rooney had to splane a few things to him.
One, fans like to hang out in the rotundas, and two, the Steelers count their attendance coming through the gates and not by the number of tickets sold which is what most NFL teams do. No one can say if the empty seats are unusual until the metrics are collected the same way by each team. If it is a dip in attendance then maybe he needs to re-evaluate the product he's put out on the field. Why would people spend the money and make the arduous journey to the Stadium when they can watch the game at home and just go to bed if it sucks.
Goodell just needs to stay away from Pittsburgh...

Starlifter
11-01-2014, 08:30 AM
It's not so much the product on the field - it's the 'package' that product is wrapped in. I have said this before, the Heinz field experience is simply not good. I understand if someone never gets to attend in person, scores some tix and has a wonderful first experience. I also understand to those without season tix, this review may sound like I'm spoiled. But once you have season tix (and I love mine!) what first timers see as special becomes routine and after awhile the negatives pile up. This problem has become exacerbated in recent years due to several factors. But once again, let's forget about the product on the field, and look at the Heinz field experience.

There has been ongoing construction on the north shore for the past few years. When they construct, they keep dropping buildings into what used to be parking spaces. when they remove parking spaces they also change the flow of traffic in and out. All stadiums have traffic, but it seems like every year you have to find a 'new' way to get in and out.

ALCO keeps adding more restrictions on activities in the parking lots. in the beginning fans who wanted to get down early and tailgate could park wherever they wanted inside their assigned lot (there is little open parking, most have to use the ALCO parking pass). This was a 'reward' for arriving early. find a nice spot perhaps near the exit. or against the railing. being able to back in your car. Now, as soon as you arrive you are directed where and how to park. In the beginning, we used to show up 5 hours prior (right when they open). big charcoal grill, hook up the generator for the directv, get the pregame going. In the winter, bring down some wood for the firepit to stay warm. These days, nearly all of that is restricted.

So if tailgating has become a huge pain, some would say - go into the stadium early and enjoy what Heinz has to offer. Well, compared to other stadiums around the league - Heinz offers very little before the game. The great hall is pretty cool - the first 3 times you see it. After that it's just a place that is crowded, with pictures on the wall, a few old lockers, some fake lombardi's behind glass and the overpowering smell of the grease used by Quaker Steak and lube for their hugely overpriced wings.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford and secured club seats when Heinz opened. forget about the seat license, but every year the cost of the seats plus parking pass is over 6 grand. That gives me 10 trips a year to the stadium (sadly, as we all know - you pay full price for two worthless preseason games). The club is average at best. it's greatest attribute is the ability to cool down in sept and warm up in Dec. Same overpriced, low grade aramark food as below - but you do enjoy 12 dollar drinks at the bar! They have graciously mounted tv monitors throughout the club so you can watch from inside. However they have also only put up small 32" screens. This would be ok if you were able to sit right in front of them - but of course you can't. In addition, they put the scoreboard feed on them which is letterboxed so the actual picture on the screen only fills up half of it as the rest is filled in with ads.
speaking of drinks (and this is probably a state law so i give them a pass), anything bought in the club has to be consumed in the club. You can't bring anything inside and if you buy a drink you can't take it outside. There are some fans who like to smoke. can't smoke in the club so they have to stand in the rotundas with nothing to drink.

Now one of the things they do which I enjoy is likely a turnoff for many others. The ushers really go out of their way to keep people from standing in their seats. This works for me, but every game it causes some serious anger with fans. There are appropriate moments to stand before a play (4th down for instance) but those fans that like to stand moreso than sitting - are not welcome in their seats. I suspect THAT is why the rotundas are mostly full. Oh, who remembers how many fans used to stand at the open end of the stadium before they started adding railings to push them back and now have added seats?

Look, as I said from the beginning - to those that never get to go I realize this sounds like a spoiled rant. But I go to every game unless I have to work - and when that happens, my kids are more than pleased to use the tix. But if you want to know why there are no-shows I assure you that some of, if not most of the issues I've listed above are a factor. it's not about the play of the steelers - well, it is a little bit. But after you do it a few times, the Heinz field experience does NOTHING to add to the game itself. It, in my opinion, detracts from the experience.

so, combine that with a night game, a team that has not played very well for the first half of the year - and bright yellow seats that really stand out when empty, and you can see why this may occur.

But no worries. I'll be there tomorrow night.

bostonsteeler
11-02-2014, 12:34 AM
It's not so much the product on the field - it's the 'package' that product is wrapped in. I have said this before, the Heinz field experience is simply not good. I understand if someone never gets to attend in person, scores some tix and has a wonderful first experience. I also understand to those without season tix, this review may sound like I'm spoiled. But once you have season tix (and I love mine!) what first timers see as special becomes routine and after awhile the negatives pile up. This problem has become exacerbated in recent years due to several factors. But once again, let's forget about the product on the field, and look at the Heinz field experience.

There has been ongoing construction on the north shore for the past few years. When they construct, they keep dropping buildings into what used to be parking spaces. when they remove parking spaces they also change the flow of traffic in and out. All stadiums have traffic, but it seems like every year you have to find a 'new' way to get in and out.

ALCO keeps adding more restrictions on activities in the parking lots. in the beginning fans who wanted to get down early and tailgate could park wherever they wanted inside their assigned lot (there is little open parking, most have to use the ALCO parking pass). This was a 'reward' for arriving early. find a nice spot perhaps near the exit. or against the railing. being able to back in your car. Now, as soon as you arrive you are directed where and how to park. In the beginning, we used to show up 5 hours prior (right when they open). big charcoal grill, hook up the generator for the directv, get the pregame going. In the winter, bring down some wood for the firepit to stay warm. These days, nearly all of that is restricted.

So if tailgating has become a huge pain, some would say - go into the stadium early and enjoy what Heinz has to offer. Well, compared to other stadiums around the league - Heinz offers very little before the game. The great hall is pretty cool - the first 3 times you see it. After that it's just a place that is crowded, with pictures on the wall, a few old lockers, some fake lombardi's behind glass and the overpowering smell of the grease used by Quaker Steak and lube for their hugely overpriced wings.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford and secured club seats when Heinz opened. forget about the seat license, but every year the cost of the seats plus parking pass is over 6 grand. That gives me 10 trips a year to the stadium (sadly, as we all know - you pay full price for two worthless preseason games). The club is average at best. it's greatest attribute is the ability to cool down in sept and warm up in Dec. Same overpriced, low grade aramark food as below - but you do enjoy 12 dollar drinks at the bar! They have graciously mounted tv monitors throughout the club so you can watch from inside. However they have also only put up small 32" screens. This would be ok if you were able to sit right in front of them - but of course you can't. In addition, they put the scoreboard feed on them which is letterboxed so the actual picture on the screen only fills up half of it as the rest is filled in with ads.
speaking of drinks (and this is probably a state law so i give them a pass), anything bought in the club has to be consumed in the club. You can't bring anything inside and if you buy a drink you can't take it outside. There are some fans who like to smoke. can't smoke in the club so they have to stand in the rotundas with nothing to drink.

Now one of the things they do which I enjoy is likely a turnoff for many others. The ushers really go out of their way to keep people from standing in their seats. This works for me, but every game it causes some serious anger with fans. There are appropriate moments to stand before a play (4th down for instance) but those fans that like to stand moreso than sitting - are not welcome in their seats. I suspect THAT is why the rotundas are mostly full. Oh, who remembers how many fans used to stand at the open end of the stadium before they started adding railings to push them back and now have added seats?

Look, as I said from the beginning - to those that never get to go I realize this sounds like a spoiled rant. But I go to every game unless I have to work - and when that happens, my kids are more than pleased to use the tix. But if you want to know why there are no-shows I assure you that some of, if not most of the issues I've listed above are a factor. it's not about the play of the steelers - well, it is a little bit. But after you do it a few times, the Heinz field experience does NOTHING to add to the game itself. It, in my opinion, detracts from the experience.

so, combine that with a night game, a team that has not played very well for the first half of the year - and bright yellow seats that really stand out when empty, and you can see why this may occur.

But no worries. I'll be there tomorrow night.

Wow, that's quite a negative pitch. From the perspective of someone who's never going to get his season tix, its news. Heinz is fun for the one-off in summer.

Coolie Man
11-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Too much $. Most people can't afford the whole thing. Also I have a 55 inch hd tv in which I sit in front of in my lazy boy recliner, the wife brings my beer, if I have to **** I do so comfortably, food, beverages cost nothing extra as I have that here already. And I get a Half time blow job. Why would I want to skip out on all that and have to Shell out $150+?

Steelhere10
11-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Good perspective Sarlifter, I have traveled to about 7 Steelers home games and I loved the experience. But if you think Heinz field is bad, the Falcons stadium is four times worse. I also went to the Steelers Dolphins game about four years back and while it's not Falcons bad it's also not Steelers good. Although I love the seats better at Dolphins stadium it was just no experiences.

Steelhere10
11-02-2014, 09:24 AM
I personally think watching the game at home, where you get every angle, cheer how you want etc. Is better than stadium experience hands down.

Starlifter
11-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Good perspective Sarlifter, I have traveled to about 7 Steelers home games and I loved the experience. But if you think Heinz field is bad, the Falcons stadium is four times worse. I also went to the Steelers Dolphins game about four years back and while it's not Falcons bad it's also not Steelers good. Although I love the seats better at Dolphins stadium it was just no experiences.

as i said, your mileage may vary. there's no doubt the fans that show up are terrific and when the game is good, the fans are cheering and renegade is playing the experience is awesome. It's for THOSE reasons why I go to the games. But the posit of the thread was why are there no shows? My opinion is the factors I've listed contribute to people not showing up at the games these days. It's just a guess - but I DO hear those types of complaints from others around me when I'm there. And yes, now with high-def TV and the rest that goes with being at home - the rare game I miss is not quite the crisis it used to be. So that's a factor as well. I had no idea timmons puked on the field till I got home and watched the game again!

Shoe
11-02-2014, 11:28 AM

You said it, man.
Not that I've ever been, but in general, the stadium experience has long since jumped the shark for discriminating customers. I don't even know why this isn't a larger issue (across the country) than it is.
At this point, it (the stadium experience) is more a HASSLE than it is an experience. In 1950, you went because you couldn't see the game on TV (for many folks). In 2014, watching on (HD) TV is ACTUALLY better, in every way except the fans.

You also mentioned the tailgating experience. They should play this aspect UP, not down (as they are). Tailgating should be a RICH aspect to the game day experience. Here in LA, the DTLA stadium plan was going to turn tailgating into a 'food court' situation. Ridiculous. You want the festive nature, of people Q'ing it up, tossing a football around or playing cornhole, etc.

Personally, I just think it is overpriced (can't afford it). I'm a Vegas fan, and it reminds me of my problem with staying on the LV Strip. Everything is too expensive.

Discipline of Steel
11-02-2014, 11:57 AM
You also mentioned the tailgating experience. They should play this aspect UP, not down (as they are). Tailgating should be a RICH aspect to the game day experience. Here in LA, the DTLA stadium plan was going to turn tailgating into a 'food court' situation. Ridiculous. You want the festive nature, of people Q'ing it up, tossing a football around or playing cornhole, etc.

People do enjoy the tailgating experience, and a big part is grilling out. I saw such a variety of grilled food during my visit and everyone was having fun doing it. Turning it into a 'food court' replaces the grill creations with junk food we see all too much, and frankly, its just plain greedy.