PDA

View Full Version : Timmons' awful game

steelsnis
09-11-2014, 07:53 AM
I've always been a big Timmons backer, but he had a terrible game on Sunday. Maybe it's the position change, maybe it's something else, but he overran plays, missed tackles and took the wrong gap multiple times in the second half vs Cleveland, leading to huge gains by Browns RB's.

Check out this link from Steelers Depot (I won't post the content here as I know there is some conflict btwn these sites). It's pretty telling.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers-vs-browns-film-review-lawrence-timmons-miscues/

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Makes you wonder if he's been asleep all through the preseason.

But it wasn't just Timmons. Worlids, Thomas, and Taylor turned in particularly suckky performances. In fact, save for a couple of players who did OK, the entire D played poorly. And their coaching staff didn't do a good job, either.

The good news is, it was only the first game. Hopefully, they will all learn from their mistakes, and make the necessary changes.

If they don't, I'm afraid we'll be looking at another disappointing season.

Ghost
09-11-2014, 09:12 AM
So LeBeau says the biggest issue was communication. Is Timmons the one with the headset in the helmet? Is the issue the coaches not getting the call into him on time or is it him not knowing what to do with the call that's been made?

As long as it's all worked out by 8:25 tonight.

K Train
09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Im pretty sure timmons wasnt the only one to have a bad game. It happens, but its easy to forget the stifling defense they played in the first half too

steelsnis
09-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Im pretty sure timmons wasnt the only one to have a bad game. It happens, but its easy to forget the stifling defense they played in the first half too

Obviously it's not all on Timmons. If you watch the film however, you can see where a bunch of big runs came from, and they were often right where he was supposed to be. More than once, he filled someone else's gap (lol) right in front of them, leaving a huge area open for a cutback. I know gap integrity is a huge deal in most defenses, and it's no different here.

K Train
09-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Obviously it's not all on Timmons. If you watch the film however, you can see where a bunch of big runs came from, and they were often right where he was supposed to be. More than once, he filled someone else's gap (lol) right in front of them, leaving a huge area open for a cutback. I know gap integrity is a huge deal in most defenses, and it's no different here.

I did watch it, I saw some WTF moments from timmons but i simply cannot get past how awful Cam Thomas is. I had medium hopes for him, but they saw that one wrong. SHould have kept Woods

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2014, 09:36 AM
As far as Timmons' problems with playcalling, maybe now we can understand why they gave the playcalling duties to a rookie (Vince Williams) for much of last season. Nobody could figure out why they would do that, but maybe it's because it's not Timmons' strong suit. Maybe Shazier or someone else will have to take on that responsibility.

K Train
09-11-2014, 09:55 AM
As far as Timmons' problems with playcalling, maybe now we can understand why they gave the playcalling duties to a rookie (Vince Williams) for much of last season. Nobody could figure out why they would do that, but maybe it's because it's not Timmons' strong suit. Maybe Shazier or someone else will have to take on that responsibility.
I dont really think it will be a problem. Timmons is a smart football player. I cant understand not wanting them to switch positions last season and put Vince Williams in many coverage situations. Vince is strictly a BUCK linebacker, timmons can move around, Shazier is strickly a MACK linebacker (if playin on the inside)

steelsnis
09-11-2014, 10:04 AM
That's just it, we'll probably never know if the added play-calling responsibilities are hurting Timmons or if he just had a bad game. Him overrunning plays and missing tackles probably have very little to do with his play-calling duties. Being in the wrong gap however, may be related.

I'd expect to see a better defensive performance tonight. The Ravens love to cutback off of zone blocking, and that's ALWAYS given the Steelers fits. Remember when Hampton used to complain about the cut-blocks from the Ravens? That was using the same principles. Line flow's one way, RB cuts back the other way. It's always been a difficult scheme for the Steelers to defend. Houston used it with Arian Foster while Kubiak was head coach there, and they gashed the Steelers. Should be interesting to watch.

K Train
09-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Good thing is Pierce and Forsett are terrible. Not saying they wont have any success but i think they will be ready for the zone stuff....they need to force flacco to throw (he threw an absured number of passes last week) and they need to blitz him, hes not the kind of QB that makes you pay on the blitz very often. Tonight would be a good time to unleash shazier :-)

Tuitt should definitely get some playing time, especially since they know what kubiaks offense is....heavy zone, heavy TE

steelsnis
09-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Good thing is Pierce and Forsett are terrible. Not saying they wont have any success but i think they will be ready for the zone stuff....they need to force flacco to throw (he threw an absured number of passes last week) and they need to blitz him, hes not the kind of QB that makes you pay on the blitz very often. Tonight would be a good time to unleash shazier :-)

Tuitt should definitely get some playing time, especially since they know what kubiaks offense is....heavy zone, heavy TE

Yeah I'd love to see Shazier unleashed on some blitzes tonight. Dennis Pitta/Owen Daniels are the problems. They can chip block and release to the flat. If Shazier is blitzing, it could leave the middle of the field open. Mitchell/Polamalu need to have a big game.

Oviedo
09-11-2014, 10:39 AM
As far as Timmons' problems with playcalling, maybe now we can understand why they gave the playcalling duties to a rookie (Vince Williams) for much of last season. Nobody could figure out why they would do that, but maybe it's because it's not Timmons' strong suit. Maybe Shazier or someone else will have to take on that responsibility.LeBeau said yesterday the issue was the length of the call coming in from the sideline and they were working at making them shorter and more brief. That sounds like a process issue not a Timmons issues. Some of the problems with execution may have been not being able to get everyone in the right place quick enough because the calls were too long and complex.

steelsnis
09-11-2014, 11:20 AM
LeBeau said yesterday the issue was the length of the call coming in from the sideline and they were working at making them shorter and more brief. That sounds like a process issue not a Timmons issues. Some of the problems with execution may have been not being able to get everyone in the right place quick enough because the calls were too long and complex.

The communication issue could very well have been a problem that started on the sidelines. Timmons' play can't be overlooked however. I'm right with you Ovi as one of his biggest supporters, but he played a bad game. It happens. Let's hope it doesn't happen very often, because on a team with so many new faces on D including rookies and second year guys, they can't afford to have their steadiest player put up this bad of a performance.

SidSmythe
09-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Timmons just looks bigger and less explosive than in the past.
Not sure if he bulked up for the new position ... but not sure that would be necessary since Farrior played the same position at 220 lbs.

Oviedo
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM
The communication issue could very well have been a problem that started on the sidelines. Timmons' play can't be overlooked however. I'm right with you Ovi as one of his biggest supporters, but he played a bad game. It happens. Let's hope it doesn't happen very often, because on a team with so many new faces on D including rookies and second year guys, they can't afford to have their steadiest player put up this bad of a performance.

My comments were about the overall confusion on defense not making excuses for Timmons. He overcommitted and was out of position and did not have a great game. I still do wish that they would blitz him more however, I fear that with the no huddle we will see often he will be away from the LOS chasing RBs and TEs.

K Train
09-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Plus the defense is far to complex and they should alter it to be more high school like. We get it

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2014, 01:27 PM
LeBeau said yesterday the issue was the length of the call coming in from the sideline and they were working at making them shorter and more brief. That sounds like a process issue not a Timmons issues. Some of the problems with execution may have been not being able to get everyone in the right place quick enough because the calls were too long and complex.

Some posters scoffed when I said (in another thread) that the defensive coaching staff was not prepared for the no-huddle. But from what LeBeau was saying, it sounds to me like an admission of that very thing. Especially after the preseason debacle vs. Philly, I find it incredible that they weren't ready for no-huddle.

K Train
09-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Some posters scoffed when I said (in another thread) that the defensive coaching staff was not prepared for the no-huddle. But from what LeBeau was saying, it sounds to me like an admission of that very thing. Especially after the preseason debacle vs. Philly, I find it to be incredible that they weren't ready for no-huddle.

The browns have shown no signs of using it in the preseason, they didnt use it at all during the first half....its not totally unreasonable to think they were confortable with what they were doing on defense at half time, they were dominating.

Browns made some great moves and great calls, and really hoyer showed tremendous poise and rallied them back...it happens

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Call me naive, but I think that if the coaches came out and said that "we were rattled", and that "we expect more teams to do it until we prove that we can handle it" that they do now have a better handle on it. If they were still worried then I don't think that Lebeau would have extended the invitation to keep trying it.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2014, 04:44 PM
The browns have shown no signs of using it in the preseason, they didnt use it at all during the first half...

You wouldn't be prepared for the no-huddle anyway? You wouldn't think, "Since they know we were so ill-prepared for it vs. Philly, if the Browns get way behind, they might try it against us?"

its not totally unreasonable to think they were confortable with what they were doing on defense at half time, they were dominating.
That I can believe. But why would you not come into the game at least somewhat prepared for the no-huddle, just in case? And even if you weren't, why would you let them gash you with it for four series before you made adjustments?

Browns made some great moves and great calls, and really hoyer showed tremendous poise and rallied them back...it happens
Minus their top 3 offensive weapons? No knock on the Browns doing what they had to do, but this was the textbook example of how to give away a lead.

K Train
09-11-2014, 05:27 PM
You wouldn't be prepared for the no-huddle anyway? You wouldn't think, "Since they know we were so ill-prepared for it vs. Philly, if the Browns get way behind, they might try it against us?"

That I can believe. But why would you not come into the game at least somewhat prepared for the no-huddle, just in case? And even if you weren't, why would you let them gash you with it for four series before you made adjustments?

Minus their top 3 offensive weapons? No knock on the Browns doing what they had to do, but this was the textbook example of how to give away a lead.

I agree, but they came out with the win....lets hope they are prepared now and even inviting the chance to defend the no huddle. It was game one for everyone, veterans, rookies, and coaches alike. I assure you if they pick up steam against balt tonight they wont hesitate to pour it on. I felt very comfortable at half time, and i was sitting on a couch with a beer....i cant imagine how comfortable you must feel actually DOING the beating in the first half. Everything was too easy for them.

It will be a big win tonight....theres a real chance that the ravens, colts, and patriots could all start 0-2