PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton is a far better leader than Ben

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2014

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/350x-410.jpg?w=250

Emmanuel Sanders arrived in Denver this offseason after four years in Pittsburgh. He immediately noticed a big difference between Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

Sanders said on 104.3 The Fan in Denver that Manning’s leadership and determination to win goes far beyond that of Roethlisberger or any other teammate Sanders has ever had.

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort,” Sanders said. “This is the first time that I’ve had a quarterback that every single day after practice — no matter what his accolades, NFL MVP, Super Bowl ring — he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice. . . . He’s not one of those guys you’ve got to chase down. He’s going to be right in the same spot, ready to work, every single day. I just feel like that’s a difference from a mental standpoint.”

Sanders said he views Roethlisberger as a winner, too, and he enjoyed their time as teammates. But he’s enjoying his time with Manning even more.

“I’ve got so much love for Ben,” Sanders said. “At the same time, I’m not going to lie. I’m happy to be part of this organization and happy that Peyton is my quarterback.”

Those comments will surely be received better in Denver than in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/emmanuel-sanders-peyton-is-a-far-better-leader-than-ben/

pfelix73
07-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Yadda Yadda.....Good for him. Who's Emmanuel Sanders? And oh, how many SB's has Ben won compared to the Denver QB????? Oh- and who's the one that chokes in big games???? Sounds like all that extra practice is really paying off... lol Gotcha... Moving on....

birtikidis
07-28-2014, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't doubt that Peyton puts in more time than Ben. Few qb's are known for their work ethics like he is. Ben's a winner though. And that's because he makes the TEAM better. Manning just makes the QB position look good on his team.

Moonie
07-28-2014, 08:00 PM
"............he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice...."

You're kept after practice by Manning because he knows you can't catch for jack. Roethlisberger assumed you were competent, to all of our detriment.

BURGH86STEEL
07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Ben is a more talented football player than Peyton. The extra work/preparation is probably what separated Peyton from Ben the most.

I don't believe Ben strived to be the best player that he could be.

birtikidis
07-28-2014, 08:56 PM
I'll take Bens 2-1 super bowl record over peytons 1-2 super bowl record any day.

feltdizz
07-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Ben is a more talented football player than Peyton. The extra work/preparation is probably what separated Peyton from Ben the most.

I don't believe Ben strived to be the best player that he could be.

All that work made Peyton a better regular season QB but he still lacks that starpower when the lights shine brightest....

You can prepare for pressure and Ben is still a much better QB when the pressure is on.

squidkid
07-28-2014, 09:37 PM
big deal, so manning is a better leader.
not sure everybody didnt already know this

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2014, 09:49 PM
like they said on NFL Network, you can praise your new QB without ripping your old QB...

skyhawk
07-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Hey Sanders, have fun in your newly found anonymity.

DukieBoy
07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Memories of Emmanuel Sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UltklB_SuA

skyhawk
07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah, the better leader my ***. When all goes wrong, Payton is the first to bit$h and moan and whine. Biggest crybaby EVER when things go wrong.

Then when the pressures on, he folds. Chokes.

Give me an F'in break.

BURGH86STEEL
07-28-2014, 11:10 PM
All that work made Peyton a better regular season QB but he still lacks that starpower when the lights shine brightest....

You can prepare for pressure and Ben is still a much better QB when the pressure is on.

Peyton's had success when the lights shine brightest. IMO, the light shines bright every week in the NFL.
The pressure is on for QBs to perform well every week.

How do you define pressure?? 4th QT comebacks?? Playoff wins? Peyton helped his teams win playoff games and a SB. People often like to continue to row a boat and continue down that river as if it's absolute. Both QB's had their share of successes, failures, strengths, and weaknesses. Ben wasn't to good under pressure in his first SB. Ben wasn't to good under pressure the past two seasons. Now the the Steelers defenses are not as good the Steelers struggle to make the playoffs.

At the end of the day, and what separates Peyton from Ben is consistency. Peyton has been a more consistent player. He's probably been a harder worker than Ben. I believe that if Ben worked close to as hard as Manning then he would be a better player at this point of his career. As a result, every player around Ben would be better.

Either QB could play on my team. If my pick were between Peyton and Ben then I would take Peyton. That's not a knock on Ben. I know a better player when I see one.

LordVile
07-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Ben has had more "success" in half the time.. Playoffs and Rings.. Manning is a CHOKE.. did you already forget the last Superbowl?? what a JOKE..

SteelerOfDeVille
07-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Like i said in the other thread, complimenting your new teammate is not even newsworthy.

Newsworthy is, "you know my NEW teammate isn't as good as my OLD teammate".

chiken
07-29-2014, 06:26 AM
This is such BS.. I wonder IF Ab shares the same View.

Ernie
07-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Peyton's had success when the lights shine brightest. IMO, the light shines bright every week in the NFL.
The pressure is on for QBs to perform well every week.

How do you define pressure?? 4th QT comebacks?? Playoff wins? Peyton helped his teams win playoff games and a SB. People often like to continue to row a boat and continue down that river as if it's absolute. Both QB's had their share of successes, failures, strengths, and weaknesses. Ben wasn't to good under pressure in his first SB. Ben wasn't to good under pressure the past two seasons. Now the the Steelers defenses are not as good the Steelers struggle to make the playoffs.

At the end of the day, and what separates Peyton from Ben is consistency. Peyton has been a more consistent player. He's probably been a harder worker than Ben. I believe that if Ben worked close to as hard as Manning then he would be a better player at this point of his career. As a result, every player around Ben would be better.

Either QB could play on my team. If my pick were between Peyton and Ben then I would take Peyton. That's not a knock on Ben. I know a better player when I see one.

Excellent post

The Man of Steel
07-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Ben didn't have the advantage of being raised by a former NFL quarterback either but he's still been successful despite not being a fortunate son.

tiproast
07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Ben didn't have the advantage of being raised by a former NFL quarterback either but he's still been successful despite not being a fortunate son.
Archie Manning is one of the worst QBs in the history of the NFL. His best record as a QB was 8-8, his worst was 1-15. And he threw for more than 20 TDs in a season only once, whereas he had seasons where he threw 20 or more INTs four times.

I don't think being raised as a QB by the likes of Archie Manning is an advantage. :D

papillon
07-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Archie Manning is one of the worst QBs in the history of the NFL. His best record as a QB was 8-8, his worst was 1-15. And he threw for more than 20 TDs in a season only once, whereas he had seasons where he threw 20 or more INTs four times.

I don't think being raised as a QB by the likes of Archie Manning is an advantage. :D

You beat me to it. I didn't realize he never had a winning season. I knew the Saints had some futility, but I never paid much attention to how much futility they had. Geesh, it has to be almost as difficult to lose that many games as it is to have a winning season occasionally.

Pappy

Slapstick
07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
If Sanders simply says, "I have nothing but love for Ben, but I'm happy to be in Denver with Peyton," that's not newsworthy...

But, he crosses the line of complimenting his new teammate by throwing his former teammate under the bus...

Honestly, it doesn't bother me...I wouldn't care how Sanders runs his mouth in the media even if he were still with the Steelers...what players say off the field is no big concern of mine...

But, I can see why it's a news item...

K Train
07-29-2014, 08:47 AM
"............he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice...."

You're kept after practice by Manning because he knows you can't catch for jack. Roethlisberger assumed you were competent, to all of our detriment.

this is kinda what made me laugh....that he has someone to hold his hand along with a rookie lol

SteelerOfDeVille
07-29-2014, 10:26 AM
If Sanders simply says, "I have nothing but love for Ben, but I'm happy to be in Denver with Peyton," that's not newsworthy...

But, he crosses the line of complimenting his new teammate by throwing his former teammate under the bus...

Honestly, it doesn't bother me...I wouldn't care how Sanders runs his mouth in the media even if he were still with the Steelers...what players say off the field is no big concern of mine...

But, I can see why it's a news item...
how does saying Manning has ridiculous work ethic (which we already knew) throw Ben under the bus? All i've read is stuff like, "better leader than Ben because he's always there working"... just not seeing the problem.

chiken
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
I was upset at this at first but now as I think back on it I can just laugh.. Yes Peyton is the better leader if you want to lead your fantasy football league or if you want to be lead to second place in a 2 man race.

These men have one thing in common.. They are both underachievers, they both come up very small when the light shines the brightest. It makes sense the he would feel the way he does about him. Birds of a feather.

He can be a better leader, but it depends on what or where you are trying to be lead to.

feltdizz
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
how does saying Manning has ridiculous work ethic (which we already knew) throw Ben under the bus? All i've read is stuff like, "better leader than Ben because he's always there working"... just not seeing the problem.

it implies that Ben didn't try to help Sanders or the other WR's get better

chiken
07-29-2014, 10:38 AM
He also phrased it as if he had to go LOOk for Ben to work with him while with Peyton he "knows" where he is going to be.

steelz09
07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
I think he took a slight jab at Roethlisberger where it could have been avoided. If the situation was reverse, it would be like him saying that Manning struggles in playoff pressure situations or something of that sort and his "new" QB doesn't.

I am not surprised that Peyton is the better leader. His work ethic is off the charts. He's quite possibly the most cerebral player (not just QB) that has ever played the game. He expects perfection from himself and everyone else around him and he'll require whatever is necessary to achieve that. He's "made" other peoples careers includ HC, OC, OL and WR. However, his playoff struggles are well documented. Sanders knows this... everyone knows this.

Ben might be the better player under pressure especially in his earlier years and Peyton is probably the better leader. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to come to these conclusions.... but does Sanders need to take that dig at Roethlisberger now that he's off the team? I don't think so.

It's similar to Irsay taking a dig at Peyton last season. He might be right but is taking the dig really necessary?

ikestops85
07-29-2014, 10:58 AM
I think he took a slight jab at Roethlisberger where it could have been avoided. If the situation was reverse, it would be like him saying that Manning struggles in playoff pressure situations or something of that sort and his "new" QB doesn't.

I am not surprised that Peyton is the better leader. His work ethic is off the charts. He's quite possibly the most cerebral player (not just QB) that has ever played the game. He expects perfection from himself and everyone else around him and he'll require whatever is necessary to achieve that. He's "made" other peoples careers includ HC, OC, OL and WR. However, his playoff struggles are well documented. Sanders knows this... everyone knows this.

Ben might be the better player under pressure especially in his earlier years and Peyton is probably the better leader. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to come to these conclusions.... but does Sanders need to take that dig at Roethlisberger now that he's off the team? I don't think so.

It's similar to Irsay taking a dig at Peyton last season. He might be right but is taking the dig really necessary?

Well said. I don't think Ben is known for his leadership but when the game is on the line his teammates have confidence that he will come through for them.

steelsnis
07-29-2014, 11:10 AM
I read a good line yesterday (sorry, can't remember who said it) but it was something to the effect of:

Peyton is like that insane boss who stays late in the office every single day and expects all of the employees to do the same, Ben is like the boss who leaves at 5 but expects that everyone else is a professional and does their job properly without him having to hold their hand through it all.

K Train
07-29-2014, 12:25 PM
I read a good line yesterday (sorry, can't remember who said it) but it was something to the effect of:

Peyton is like that insane boss who stays late in the office every single day and expects all of the employees to do the same, Ben is like the boss who leaves at 5 but expects that everyone else is a professional and does their job properly without him having to hold their hand through it all.

pretty good analogy

SteelerOfDeVille
07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
He might be right but is taking the dig really necessary?
That right there is why i have no problem. It'd be different if he was making crap up. But, simply stating facts - especially facts that we all already know - well like you said, "slight jab" is what he took at Ben.

Is it necessary? No. but, neither is complimenting manning in the first place. This is news because nobody's playing games yet!

feltdizz
07-29-2014, 12:49 PM

basically...

Notleadpoisoned
07-29-2014, 01:17 PM

In Archibald's defense, he did play a number of seasons before the Mel Blount rule took effect and NFL passing stats started to become completely skewed.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Jerome Bettis lauds Big Ben's leadership

July, 29, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Jerome Bettis defended Ben Roethlisberger on Tuesday, saying on ESPN's "First Take" that his former Pittsburgh Steelers teammate is a good leader with simply a different style from Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

"I don't believe that Ben falls short in the leadership department," said Bettis, who won a Super Bowl with Roethlisberger and the Steelers in 2005. "You don't win a championship with a lack of leadership."

Former Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders created a stir Monday when he told KKFM in Denver that Manning is a "far better leader" than Roethlisberger. Sanders played his first four NFL seasons with Roethlisberger and the Steelers before signing with the Broncos in March.

"This is the first time that I had a quarterback that stays every single day after practice, no matter what his accolades," Sanders told KKFM about Manning. "He's not one of those guys you gotta go chase down. He's gonna be right at the same spot ready to work every single day."

Bettis said Sanders' comments were misguided and "a little disrespectful" to Roethlisberger.

"I think [Sanders] misunderstood what leadership is and he misspoke, and I think it was a little bit of a jab," said Bettis, who is an NFL analyst for ESPN. "I think if he had a chance, he'd take it back. It's not that Ben doesn't lead. He just leads differently than Peyton does."

Sanders took to Twitter on Monday following the ripple effects of his comparison between Manning and Roethlisberger and stood by what he said.

Emmanuel Sanders ✔ @ESanders_10

I never said Ben wasn't a leader... I just said Peyton is a better one. I have nothing but respect for Ben as a man and as a player. #truth

11:40 AM - 28 Jul 2014

Asked about Roethlisberger's leadership, Bettis said the Steelers quarterback talked him into returning for one more season after Pittsburgh lost to the New England Patriots in the 2004 AFC Championship Game.

Bettis won the Super Bowl ring that had eluded him in 2005 before retiring.

"Ben Roethlisberger told me, 'Hey, don't retire. I'm going to get you a championship. Trust me on this,'" Bettis said. "After every playoff game [in 2005], he gave me the game ball. After we won the Super Bowl, he gave me the game ball. That's leadership."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/133107/bettis-lauds-big-bens-leadership

K Train
07-29-2014, 02:33 PM
"Ben Roethlisberger told me, 'Hey, don't retire. I'm going to get you a championship. Trust me on this,'" Bettis said. "After every playoff game [in 2005], he gave me the game ball. After we won the Super Bowl, he gave me the game ball. That's leadership."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/133107/bettis-lauds-big-bens-leadership

That was roethlisberger at 23

sick beats
07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
A non story. As if it was anything everyone didn't already know. I like Manning. He is a damn good QB, hall of famer. But he does tend to fold in the biggest games. But honestly, put Ben on that Denver team vs. Seattle and the results would have been about the same. Having no time to throw PLUS having no one open is an an environment no QB would succeed in. And, even if PM folds in some big games, no one can question his overall outstanding QB play week to week. I know there have been some rule changes, but he even puts Marino's #s to shame. And that is saying something.

feltdizz
07-29-2014, 03:45 PM
A non story. As if it was anything everyone didn't already know. I like Manning. He is a damn good QB, hall of famer. But he does tend to fold in the biggest games. But honestly, put Ben on that Denver team vs. Seattle and the results would have been about the same. Having no time to throw PLUS having no one open is an an environment no QB would succeed in. And, even if PM folds in some big games, no one can question his overall outstanding QB play week to week. I know there have been some rule changes, but he even puts Marino's #s to shame. And that is saying something.

nah.... put Ben on Denvers team and it's a much closer game.

He would shrug off a few sacks, extend some plays and he wouldn't shrivel up like a baby anytime a guy is in his face.

birtikidis
07-29-2014, 03:50 PM

He would shrug off a few sacks, extend some plays and he wouldn't shrivel up like a baby anytime a guy is in his face.
Once you make Manning improvise it's game over. That's an aspect that Ben thrives in.

birtikidis
07-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Wouldn't have stopped Seattle from scoring a million points, but it may have been closer.

sick beats
07-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Jerome Bettis lauds Big Ben's leadership

July, 29, 2014

Jerome Bettis defended Ben Roethlisberger on Tuesday, saying on ESPN's "First Take" that his former Pittsburgh Steelers teammate is a good leader with simply a different style from Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

"I don't believe that Ben falls short in the leadership department," said Bettis, who won a Super Bowl with Roethlisberger and the Steelers in 2005. "You don't win a championship with a lack of leadership."

Former Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders created a stir Monday when he told KKFM in Denver that Manning is a "far better leader" than Roethlisberger. Sanders played his first four NFL seasons with Roethlisberger and the Steelers before signing with the Broncos in March.

"This is the first time that I had a quarterback that stays every single day after practice, no matter what his accolades," Sanders told KKFM about Manning. "He's not one of those guys you gotta go chase down. He's gonna be right at the same spot ready to work every single day."

Bettis said Sanders' comments were misguided and "a little disrespectful" to Roethlisberger.

"I think [Sanders] misunderstood what leadership is and he misspoke, and I think it was a little bit of a jab," said Bettis, who is an NFL analyst for ESPN. "I think if he had a chance, he'd take it back. It's not that Ben doesn't lead. He just leads differently than Peyton does."

Sanders took to Twitter on Monday following the ripple effects of his comparison between Manning and Roethlisberger and stood by what he said.

Emmanuel Sanders ✔ @ESanders_10

I never said Ben wasn't a leader... I just said Peyton is a better one. I have nothing but respect for Ben as a man and as a player. #truth

11:40 AM - 28 Jul 2014

Asked about Roethlisberger's leadership, Bettis said the Steelers quarterback talked him into returning for one more season after Pittsburgh lost to the New England Patriots in the 2004 AFC Championship Game.

Bettis won the Super Bowl ring that had eluded him in 2005 before retiring.

I saw that show. Bettis also admitted that Ben was a totally different person, citing that he was immature, prior to the bike wreck and allegations. He said there is no comparison between mid-20's Ben and the person he is now. Being that Bettis is his buddy, it is telling that he basically admitted Ben was a total knuckle head early in his career. I always got that feeling, that he was like a frat boy - in the negative manner - for his first 5 years or so. It was obvious that he wasn't any where close to being a leader, and Bettis admitted that. When NFLN interviewed Tomlin this week and asked him what he expected from Ben this season, he said "I expect him to be the leader of this team." I don't think he replies the same way a few years ago. I still don't think he will be a "leader" in the sense of a Manning, in that his work ethic makes all other players work harder, necessarily. But I think we have all worked with some people who put in tons of time, but that in itself doesn't make them more valuable than workers who basically leave at 5 every day, but are more productive and talented than those putting in all the OT. I generally can do more than 1 hour than most do all day.

DukieBoy
07-29-2014, 07:31 PM
I suppose if Tim Tebow was the QB of Denver now, then Sanders would say that TT is a better leader.

Bluto
07-29-2014, 07:37 PM
This was nothing more than a cheap dig from a WR that loves the lime light. Notice he is on only second to Ryan Clark with his appearances. Also Ryan C just said he is now playing with the best secondary of his career. These guys are speaking to there new fan base. In my opinion just a chicken **** thing to say to Ben. But hey when Peyton chokes like he does he can say and talk about the great leadership or the hundred times Ben will under throw him this year. He is a Dude looking to be I the headlines. Eat **** Manny and love a little bulletin board material come play off off time this year. Cause if we see you I can bet Ben will thrive and Peyton will choke.

Moonie
07-29-2014, 10:13 PM

Agreed - Roethlisberger does not get blown out. Even when he's the one causing a potential blow out himself (see Super Bowl against the Packers), he finds a way to come back. Roethlisberger is not as good (nowhere near as good?) as Manning, Brees, Rodgers, maybe a few others, but he has that magic competitiveness, edge, drive, and winning attitude that keeps the Steelers in the game no matter how bad things are. In that regard, he's the best in the league. No way do the Steelers with Roethlisberger get blown out by the Seahwawks, like Manning did.

tiproast
07-30-2014, 12:56 AM
In Archibald's defense, he did play a number of seasons before the Mel Blount rule took effect and NFL passing stats started to become completely skewed.

I agree that it's easier to accumulate good passing stats these days, but poor stats isn't the only reason for Archie's low regard (at least by some of us).

The 1971 draft class was QB rich. In addition to Manning, there was Jim Plunkett and Dan Pastorini. (Plunkett/Manning/Pastorini went 1-2-3 overall.)

Also in that draft were Lynn Dickey, Ken Anderson, and Joe Theismann. All of them had better careers than Archie. In particular, Ken Anderson held the highest single-season completion percentage record for a couple of decades, IIRC.

So sure, it was harder to pass back then. But Archie was still a big-time loser. I remember when Howard Cosell used to do the highlights from the previous Sunday's games on MNF - if a highlight from a Saints game was shown, it was usually Archie throwing an interception that ensured victory for the opponents. (That was back in the bad old days for my Pats, so it was nice to see some other team that was even more inept.)

I can't think of another QB who had a career as long as Archie and who never made an appearance in a playoff game. When you're that bad at leading a team to victory, most head coaches will try another guy to see whether he has enough moxie to lead a group of professional athletes into the post-season. But for some reason indiscernible to me, Archie Manning kept his job for 13 years.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Ben is half the leader that Peyton is.

Peyton has half the rings that Ben has.

I'll take Ben.

hausparty
07-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Who cares. He's on a new team and he should back his new team.

Wallace did the same year when talking about arm strength between his new QB and BEN. Who cares!

Our new players do the same thing when talking about the Steelers and how great it is! Ryan Clark just stated the Redskins have the best secondary as well. It's what they should say!

Ben is a winner and that's all that matters. He just took his entire OL to his vacation home and when they won SB XL he stated who's laughing now O-LINE! that to me is leadership.

Oh and didn't he meet up with his new young WR's this offseason? UM YEAH! Leadership.

Peyton Manning however needs 1 on 1 time with his WR's because Peyton Manning is not a very good QB when he has to think on the FLY! If the players aren't where they need to be exactly when and where they need to be Peyton SUCKS ass! That's why he fails in the bigger games unlike BEN!

feltdizz
07-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Who cares. He's on a new team and he should back his new team.

Wallace did the same year when talking about arm strength between his new QB and BEN. Who cares!

Our new players do the same thing when talking about the Steelers and how great it is! Ryan Clark just stated the Redskins have the best secondary as well. It's what they should say!

Ben is a winner and that's all that matters. He just took his entire OL to his vacation home and when they won SB XL he stated who's laughing now O-LINE! that to me is leadership.

Oh and didn't he meet up with his new young WR's this offseason? UM YEAH! Leadership.

Peyton Manning however needs 1 on 1 time with his WR's because Peyton Manning is not a very good QB when he has to think on the FLY! If the players aren't where they need to be exactly when and where they need to be Peyton SUCKS ass! That's why he fails in the bigger games unlike BEN!

all of this ^^^

Oviedo
07-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Emmanuel who?

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
by Dale Lolley

@ I've heard the Emmanuel Sanders interview in Denver several times now and don't see it as a big deal.

Of course Peyton Manning is different from Ben Roethlisberger. Manning is considered one of the biggest workaholics in NFL history.

That doesn't mean Roethlisberger doesn't work.

And Roethlisberger did take his younger receivers to California this offseason for a week to work out. He also spent extra time with Antonio Brown working on red zone throws while the rest of the team was working on special teams this week.

It's similar to the way Lance Moore got in some hot water in New Orleans for saying that Roethlisberger has a lot stronger arm than Drew Brees.

He wasn't being disrespectful to Brees. He was just stating how he felt.

Now, Ryan Clark saying earlier this week that the Washington secondary is the best one that he's played in was a bit disrespectful - especially considering he hasn't played in it yet.

But guys are always going to speak highly of their new situation.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Oviedo
07-30-2014, 03:50 PM
by Dale Lolley

@ I've heard the Emmanuel Sanders interview in Denver several times now and don't see it as a big deal.

Of course Peyton Manning is different from Ben Roethlisberger. Manning is considered one of the biggest workaholics in NFL history.

That doesn't mean Roethlisberger doesn't work.

And Roethlisberger did take his younger receivers to California this offseason for a week to work out. He also spent extra time with Antonio Brown working on red zone throws while the rest of the team was working on special teams this week.

It's similar to the way Lance Moore got in some hot water in New Orleans for saying that Roethlisberger has a lot stronger arm than Drew Brees.

He wasn't being disrespectful to Brees. He was just stating how he felt.

Now, Ryan Clark saying earlier this week that the Washington secondary is the best one that he's played in was a bit disrespectful - especially considering he hasn't played in it yet.

But guys are always going to speak highly of their new situation.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

It may had been one of the best, but Ryan Clark being on the field will take it down a notch or two

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Brown: Sanders' comments 'terrible'

Updated: July 30, 2014

LATROBE, Pa. -- Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were teammates for four seasons with the Steelers and remain good friends, but Brown took issue with Sanders calling Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning a "far better leader" than Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earlier this week.

"That was terrible," Brown said Wednesday. "You don't throw your quarterback under the bus, the guy who makes you who you are."

Roethlisberger and Sanders played together from 2010 to 2013 and the latter signed with the Denver Broncos last March as an unrestricted free agent.

Sanders told 104.3 The Fan Denver on Monday that Manning works tirelessly with the wide receivers after practice and that he doesn't have to "chase down" the five-time NFL MVP to put in extra time together.

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, who played two seasons with Roethlisberger, defended his former quarterback during an appearance on ESPN's "First Take" earlier this week.

"It's not that Ben doesn't lead. He just leads differently than Peyton does," said Bettis, who is an ESPN NFL analyst. "I think [Sanders] misunderstood what leadership is and he misspoke it and I think it was a little bit of a jab. I think if he had a chance he'd take it back."

Brown, who set a Steelers single-season record with 1,499 receiving yards last season, said he hasn't talked to Sanders since his Manning-Roethlisberger comparison.

"Right now I'm just singularly focused on our team, getting better and winning," said Brown, who was drafted by the Steelers in 2010, the same year as Sanders. "When things happen like that ... I don't know. Emmanuel's my guy and I'm sure he feels sorry for those words that he put out."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11286349/antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-rips-emmanuel-sanders-qb-comments

sick beats
07-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Bettis and Stephen A. Smith thought Sanders was out of bounds for slamming Ben. They thought is was sleazy and unnecessary, especially after all Ben has done for him.

8467thekraken
07-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Pretty unprofessional comment by Sanders.

But then again, Sanders was never that professional to begin with, so...

NorthCoast
07-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Bettis and Stephen A. Smith thought Sanders was out of bounds for slamming Ben. They thought is was sleazy and unnecessary, especially after all Ben has done for him.

Herm Edwards, similar comment. Herm: "I think he could have worded things a little differently....."...

fezziwig
07-31-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd take Ben over Peyton anytime. The star need to align for Peyton in the skies and on the field for Peyton to win championships. Ben can carry a team on his own shoulders when he has to.

hausparty
07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Peyton needs that extra time to get everyone on the exact same page to be good. BEN DOES NOT!

Ben can lace up his cleats and just go out and play some street ball and find a way to WIN. Peyton's win are well scripted and its why he's always on the sideline looking at pictures. He has to study for his win and what Sanders doesn't realize is that Peyton needs him to stay behind to make Peyton good. (SELFISH if you ask me).

RuthlessBurgher
08-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Sanders stands by saying Peyton is a better leader than Ben

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 13, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT

Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders ruffled some feathers in Pittsburgh when he said last month that he thinks his new quarterback, Peyton Manning, is a better leader than his old quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. Ordinarily, when a player’s comments get him in hot water, he quickly backtracks and claims he was misquoted or misunderstood or misconstrued or taken out of context, or he offers a mealy-mouthed apology, if anyone was offended.

So it’s refreshing to hear Sanders stand by what he said.

“I have not one regret. If I said it then I meant it,” Sanders said on NFL Network.

Sanders made clear that he isn’t trying to insult Roethlisberger, but he was asked a question about Manning’s leadership and answered it honestly: In the opinion of Sanders, Manning is a better leader than Roethlisberger, and for that matter a better leader than any other teammate Sanders has ever had.

“It wasn’t meant as disrespect for anyone. I’ve got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it — they know me. I didn’t mean any harm,” Sanders said. “It’s just how Peyton is treating everybody out here, I’ve never seen somebody lead the way that he leads. That’s no diss to Ben. That’s just saying that, of every football team that I’ve played on, he’s the best leader I’ve seen. And everyone in the world knows that — when it comes to Peyton Manning, they know that he’s going to study, he’s going to do the right thing, he’s going to be where he’s supposed to be. That was just all meant for Peyton.”

Sanders was criticized by former teammate Antonio Brown, but Sanders said there’s no animosity between himself and his old teammates, even though he hasn’t spoken to them recently.

“I haven’t talked to those guys. A.B. called a couple days ago but I’ve been so busy,” he said. “But A.B. and all those guys, they know that we’re brothers, they know that it’s all good. They know me, they know there are no hard feelings and I have no hard feelings toward them. I play for the Denver Broncos but I’ve still got so much love for Steeler Nation and the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

And with that, Sanders accomplished something rare: He offered a clearheaded, reasonable explanation of his comments, without falling back on the old excuse of claiming he hadn’t said what he said, or claiming he hadn’t meant what he meant.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/13/sanders-stands-by-saying-peyton-is-a-better-leader-than-ben/

feltdizz
08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
“I have not one regret. If I said it then I meant it,”

wow, whether you like the guy or not it's nice to hear a player stick by their comment instead of "clarifying"

skyhawk
08-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Why is it then, even though there have been many other players to play with Manning the first time not say these kinds of things. Manning's preparation is no secret. But why now, and why when Ben is the subject?

feltdizz
08-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Why is it then, even though there have been many other players to play with Manning the first time not say these kinds of things. Manning's preparation is no secret. But why now, and why when Ben is the subject?

probably because Sanders is the first Steeler to play for Ben then Manning.

Wes Welker didn't knock Brady when asked... but then again, Ben ain't Brady.

I don't think it matters

fezziwig
08-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Peyton needs to lead because the offense needs to be so true, so correct for Peyton to be able to function. Ben doesn't need to micro manage to be successful.

K Train
08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Peyton needs to lead because the offense needs to be so true, so correct for Peyton to be able to function. Ben doesn't need to micro manage to be successful.
Its very true...not a knock on either guy, how you prepare is how you prepare. Peyton prepares how he plays, ben really cant prep that way

sick beats
08-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Its very true...not a knock on either guy, how you prepare is how you prepare. Peyton prepares how he plays, ben really cant prep that way

This whole quote is much ado about nothing. Yea, it wasn't the smartest thing to say by Sanders, but big deal. PM just goes anal at practice and planning. It's his thing. And he is a great, great player. Not perfect, can fold in big games, but no one can question his greatness. Ben just doesn't roll the same way; we are all different. Bettis laid it out, clearly. Ben wasn't a leader when he was younger, but is now. I believe him. He still might not be the greatest leader at QB there is, but he isn't completely void in leadership either. Actually, Manning kind of get annoying with all his audibles at the LOS; it's like, "Just hike the Freaking ball!" We will see if Denver's upgraded D allows PM to win a ring this year. Not only did they add Ware, but they are getting Von Miller back, which could be a dominating pass rush.

fezziwig
08-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Im not going to knock Ben or anyone else that isn't that grab the bull by the horns type player or leader. People lead in all types of ways. One thru experience, others thru self play and others thru the rah, rah, beating your chest way. The way I lead is by having myself prepared, doing my part. I don't need a pep talk or a guy cheering me on or motivating me with vocal overtones. Sure, it's energetic to hear but that isn't what should make a guy play. I said ibforan I'll say I agan, I'll taBe ovePeton antim oftweek. This site sucks for typing at my keyboard.

feltdizz
08-13-2014, 03:42 PM
I said ibforan I'll say I agan, I'll taBe ovePeton antim oftweek.

don't ever say that again on here..lol

fezziwig
08-13-2014, 06:11 PM
don't ever say that again on here..lol

Im orry, I don'knowwat cae verme. lol I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. lol < Me typing my original words two and three times to get it right. Just here on this site does this take place and I don't know why.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Roethlisberger reacts to ex-Steeler Sanders' claim

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As Emmanuel Sanders this week backed up his previous comments that Peyton Manning is a better leader than Ben Roethlisberger, there was a reaction … from Ben Roethlisberger.

“He’s going to say whatever he can about the quarterback he is with,” Roethlisberger said in a way that reflected his partial understanding of why Sanders made those comments.

“I was more disappointed he didn’t reach out to me. I know he told some other guys: ‘You know I love Ben, I didn’t mean it like that.’ I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.”

Instead of reaching out to Roethlisberger about his initial comments, Sanders told the NFL Network this week he stands by what he said.

“I have not one regret. If I said it, then I meant it,” Sanders told the NFL Network via Pro Football Talk.

“It wasn’t meant as disrespect for anyone. I’ve got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it — they know me. I didn’t mean any harm.”

Sanders, who played his first four NFL seasons with the Steelers, signed this year with the Denver Broncos as a free agent. Early in their training camp, he compared Manning to Roethlisberger.

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort,” Sanders said. “This is the first time that I’ve had a quarterback that every single day after practice — no matter what his accolades, NFL MVP, Super Bowl ring — he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice. … He’s not one of those guys you’ve got to chase down. He’s going to be right in the same spot, ready to work, every single day. I just feel like that’s a difference from a mental standpoint.”

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown criticized Sanders for those words earlier in camp. Roethlisberger successfully lobbied for the Steelers to match the $2.5 million contract Sanders signed with the New England Patriots as a restricted free agent in 2013 so they could keep him.

Said Roethlisberger, “Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him. When he was down in practice, I always talked to him. When he had a baby, I was trying to help him.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz3AM78zm42

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Roethlisberger 'hurt' by comments

Updated: August 14, 2014

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0814/nfl_a_roethlisberger_sanders_300x200.jpg

LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger is "disappointed" that he has yet to hear from former teammate Emmanuel Sanders, who called Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning a "far better leader" than the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback a couple of weeks ago and has since stood by his comments.

"I know he told some other guys, 'You know I love Ben. I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that, and I would have been fine with it," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him. When he was down in practice, I always talked to him."

Sanders signed with the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent in March and told a Denver radio station that Manning is a better leader than Roethlisberger because he stays after practice to work with the wide receivers.

Sanders, who played for the Steelers from 2010 to 2013, told NFL Network that he doesn't regret what he said when comparing Manning and Roethlisberger as leaders.

"If I said it, I meant it," Sanders said. "It wasn't meant as disrespect for anyone. I've got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it; they know me. I didn't mean any harm."

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has criticized Sanders for taking what has largely been perceived as a shot at Roethlisberger. Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis has said that Sanders' comments were misguided.

Roethlisberger has never been more engaged when it comes to working with the Steelers' wide receivers. The 11th-year veteran said Wednesday that he has helped coach the wide receivers more at this training camp than at any point of his career.

"It's been fun. It's something that I need to do and want to do," Roethlisberger said. "The coach can tell them what they're supposed to do, but if I tell them what I want them to do, it's a big difference. It's been a good [camp] in that sense."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11352459/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-hurt-leader-comments-emmanuel-sanders-denver-broncos

Eich
08-15-2014, 08:37 AM

That's a good point actually. It's not all that unlike a micro-manager in the business world vs a leader who isn't so involved in every single detail. Both can be successful in the right circumstances. But I will also agree that Peyton seems to come apart when things don't follow the script. That's where Ben shines.

Screw Sanders. His comments and follow up comments lead you to believe that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. He could have made his point without the obvious slam on Ben.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Sanders is dead to me now. He's a Donk. I don't give a crap what he says.

fordfixer
08-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Roethlisberger 'hurt' by comments

Updated: August 14, 2014

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0814/nfl_a_roethlisberger_sanders_300x200.jpg

LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger is "disappointed" that he has yet to hear from former teammate Emmanuel Sanders, who called Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning a "far better leader" than the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback a couple of weeks ago and has since stood by his comments.

"I know he told some other guys, 'You know I love Ben. I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that, and I would have been fine with it," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him. When he was down in practice, I always talked to him."

Sanders signed with the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent in March and told a Denver radio station that Manning is a better leader than Roethlisberger because he stays after practice to work with the wide receivers.

Sanders, who played for the Steelers from 2010 to 2013, told NFL Network that he doesn't regret what he said when comparing Manning and Roethlisberger as leaders.

"If I said it, I meant it," Sanders said. "It wasn't meant as disrespect for anyone. I've got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it; they know me. I didn't mean any harm."

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has criticized Sanders for taking what has largely been perceived as a shot at Roethlisberger. Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis has said that Sanders' comments were misguided.

Roethlisberger has never been more engaged when it comes to working with the Steelers' wide receivers. The 11th-year veteran said Wednesday that he has helped coach the wide receivers more at this training camp than at any point of his career.

"It's been fun. It's something that I need to do and want to do," Roethlisberger said. "The coach can tell them what they're supposed to do, but if I tell them what I want them to do, it's a big difference. It's been a good [camp] in that sense."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11352459/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-hurt-leader-comments-emmanuel-sanders-denver-broncos
Dry your eyes and move on

Notleadpoisoned
08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Sanders isn't on the team anymore so I see no need for Ben to address anyone or anything from the past. It's all about whose on the team right now and focusing 100% on the upcoming season.

feltdizz
08-15-2014, 12:20 PM

"It's been fun. It's something that I need to do and want to do," Roethlisberger said.

Not trying to nit pick but that quote sounds like Ben is admitting he hasn't done these things before... or not as much as he has this year.

Sugar
08-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Not trying to nit pick but that quote sounds like Ben is admitting he hasn't done these things before... or not as much as he has this year.

It might be because in the past, he was the pup in the QB room even though he was the starter. There's a big difference between having the experience of Batch and Leftwich in the room and having Landry Jones and Bruce Gradkowski.

Slapstick
08-15-2014, 04:44 PM
It might be because in the past, he was the pup in the QB room even though he was the starter. There's a big difference between having the experience of Batch and Leftwich in the room and having Landry Jones and Bruce Gradkowski.

There is also a big difference between having Hines Ward as your most experienced WR and having Lance Moore (new to the team) or Antonio Brown (half of Ben's experience)...

BURGH86STEEL
08-15-2014, 05:06 PM

It's one reason why the Steelers offense didn't consistently live up to it's potential with Ben as the QB.

Slapstick
08-15-2014, 07:33 PM
It's one reason why the Steelers offense didn't consistently live up to it's potential with Ben as the QB.

The offensive line sucked because Ben didn't coach up the WRs?

Okay...

RobinCole
08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
"Not trying to nit pick". Could have fooled me.

Yes, a poor O-Line, no running game and WRs like Sanders dropping passes and fumbling does tend to disrupt the consistency and potential of an offense. But let's blame the QB.

BURGH86STEEL
08-15-2014, 08:16 PM
The offensive line sucked because Ben didn't coach up the WRs?

Okay...
I understand that Ben can do no wrong with some people. But......

Ben was lacking in his overall knowledge of the Steelers offense over the years. The lack of knowledge had an impact on the overall production of the Steelers offense. The QB is one of the few positions that can elevate every player on offense. The play of the QB can change the entire dynamic of how a defense chooses to attack an offense. The QB is generally the player mostly responsible for the point production of an offense.

Ben's play had an impact on the play of the offensive line and the production of the offense. Ben did good and sometimes great things for the team. He was also largely responsible for many of the team's offensive woes because of the way he choose to play QB.

I believe this offense underachieved over the years mostly because of the play of Ben. Ben had the talent to lead a better and more consistent offense. He didn't have the mentality, desire, or the work ethic necessary to elevate the offense. We'll see what happens this year.

RobinCole
08-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Please stop with the straw men. Nobody is saying Ben can do no wrong.

To argue that the way he "chose to play QB" caused the offensive woes is like arguing that the chicken preceded the egg. Last year, for example, the O-Line was poor. The running game was poor. For all intents and purposes we didn't have a healthy TE until late in the season, if then. Despite those problems, there were games like Minnesota, where the offense scored enough to win but the D collapsed. Ben made his share of mistakes but it was a team failure plus a lot of bad luck that led to 8-8.

DBR96A
08-15-2014, 08:57 PM
When I add up the number of offensive linemen who started at least eight games for the Steelers between 2008 and 2012, and the number of RBs, WRs and TEs who have had any carries or catches for the Steelers in that same period of time, I get 24. When I subtract the players who retired on their own terms, I get 21. You know how many of those 21 players are good enough to start for other teams? Three. I'm sure it's Roethlisberger's fault that only three of those 21 players are good enough to start for other teams. And you know how many of those 21 players are involuntarily out of the NFL? Twelve. Must be Roethlisberger's fault that only nine of those 21 former Steelers are employable in the NFL.

BURGH86STEEL
08-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Please stop with the straw men. Nobody is saying Ben can do no wrong.

To argue that the way he "chose to play QB" caused the offensive woes is like arguing that the chicken preceded the egg. Last year, for example, the O-Line was poor. The running game was poor. For all intents and purposes we didn't have a healthy TE until late in the season, if then. Despite those problems, there were games like Minnesota, where the offense scored enough to win but the D collapsed. Ben made his share of mistakes but it was a team failure plus a lot of bad luck that led to 8-8.
Well it sure sounds like Ben can do no wrong. Especially, when I read "but let's blame the QB". The QB is the leader of the offense, right? The QB is mostly responsible for the success or failure of an offense, right? The QB is generally the highest paid player on the team, right? The QB takes most of the credit when the team wins, right? I read comments about Ben winning X amount of games but people go into "blaming the team mode" when the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Ben has been the QB of the offense for the past 10 years. Every year the expectation is that the offense will "break out". Well, the offense never broke out yet. The QB is in a large part responsible for the offense not living up to fan's expectations. My premise is that one huge reason the offense didn't "break out" was because he lacked knowledge in regard to knowing the offense like he should had. If he didn't know his own offense like he should had then how prepared was he to face defenses? I believe that knowledgeable players tend to be able to lead better. In the past, Ben would defer to Batch in regard to questions regarding the Steelers offense. I suppose the Bronco's offensive success and Manning's preparation & knowledge are reasons why Sanders made those comments.

Ben gave the ball away twice vs the Vikes. Those 2 turnovers contributed to the loss more than any other factor. Losing the turnover battle is the number indicator for losing games in the league. The offense generally didn't take care of the football in the first 4 games of last season. Turnovers were the number one reason why the team started out 0-4. I believe Ben had 9 turnovers himself in those first 4 games. Difficult to win games giving the ball away that often.

If Ben could lead this offense to produce points in certain games, then why couldn't he lead the offense to score more points vs the likes of the Titans, Raiders, or Bengals?
Why can't Ben lead a top 5 scoring offense?
Why can't Ben lead this team to the playoffs without a top 5 ppg defense?

RobinCole
08-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Let's see. I explicitly said Ben made his share of mistakes. Yet you insist that I'm saying Ben can do no wrong. There's no use arguing with a tree stump. Turnovers do happen when free rushers are into the backfield before the QB even has time to set up. They didn't all happen that way but a lot did.

One more time and the last time: Team failure and a lot of bad luck, such as Pouncey going down in the opening minutes of the season from friendly fire. The field is yours. I'm done on this thread. Buh-bye.

Captain Lemming
08-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Thats how I read it too Dizz.

Someone mentioned the vet leadership on the team when Ben arrived. The Steelers have had a culture where QB is NOT the defacto leader by virtue of the position. There is a wait your turn kid mentality. Ben HIMSELF often deferred to others when asked about leadership. Look at any quote from Hines about Ben versus Ben about Hines. It is not the typical QB is the leader of the receivers relationship. He was humble as a result of the team culture.

By the time the "money receiver" trio arrived, Ben was vet enough to make this HIS TEAM but had so much success humble Ben saw little reason to change thus Sanders experience. Last season was different and this season more so. Ben is asserting himself in a different way.

Heck Bradshaw went through the same long wait to earn his stripes.

Some have also correctly pointed out a different kind of leadership that Ben has always had. Unlike Peyton Ben is clutch. He expresses confidence in his guys. I always think of Ben expressing confidence in Santonio AFTER his SB drop and going RIGHT BACK TO HIM for the game winning play. Contrast that to a Manning rant or the Manning stare of disgust after a teammates mistake which spreads his nervous energy to the rest of the team in big games.

Sanders has yet to experience THAT Manning "leadership". But knowing his flaws there is no doubt Sanders will experience this and see his game tank in big games as is typical of Peyton's receivers.

True or not Sanders comments are just uncool. But Sanders is just selfishly looking to ingratiate himself to his new QB and even more so the fan base in Denver.

No need to feel hurt or upset, he is not a Steeler anymore.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Emmanuel Sanders has 5 receptions for 128 yards with 2 TDs in the first half against the Texans today...

Steel Life
08-23-2014, 11:21 PM
I imagine that has more to do with the scheme...& preseason & not Manning's leadership ;)

feltdizz
08-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Emmanuel Sanders has 5 receptions for 128 yards with 2 TDs in the first half against the Texans today...

Well damn... that is impressive.

Steelhere10
08-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Really it is, after he disappeared for last week game. And you know if he have a pro bowl year the talks will start. But give me a gamer over a high pressure choker any day.

feltdizz
08-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Really it is, after he disappeared for last week game. And you know if he have a pro bowl year the talks will start. But give me a gamer over a high pressure choker any day.

I don't think Sanders played last week due to a bruised thigh.

Steelwolf
08-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Here's a thought, not sure if it's been posted yet.

If sanders excels, do the steelers pick up a possible comp pick next year?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Here's a thought, not sure if it's been posted yet.

If sanders excels, do the steelers pick up a possible comp pick next year?

Wasn't Sanders an unrestricted free agent? If so, I'm pretty sure there's no comp pick.

Chadman
08-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Comp picks are based on the Gains/Losses of FA's for a team, so as long as the Steelers Gains are lower than the Losses, they should recieve some kind of Comp pick.

Where the Comp pick falls is then decided by value of contract & production...

The Steelers are generally in line for extra Draft Picks because they don't sign a lot of FA's.

From memory, Sanders, Ziggy Hood, Al Woods, Ryan Clark, Jerricho Cotchery, Jonathan Dwyer, David Johnson....who am I missing?

Lance Moore, LeGarrette Blount, Mike Mitchell, Arthur Moats...they probably nullify some of the losses. Cam Thomas too.

Not sure if they would get much more than a 6th or 7th next year based on that, and ONLY if the guys lost get significant playing time I'd imagine.

In some ways we probably want Sanders, Clark & Cotchery to have great seasons. Hood too...if possible..

Steelwolf
08-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks chad, time will tell...... My boss is a broncos fan and I happily let her know sanders drops the most important ones when they count! Lol

Northern_Blitz
08-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Comp picks are based on the Gains/Losses of FA's for a team, so as long as the Steelers Gains are lower than the Losses, they should recieve some kind of Comp pick.

In some ways we probably want Sanders, Clark & Cotchery to have great seasons. Hood too...if possible..

I think that when that Adam guy was predicting comp picks he did it 100% based on salary and was usually very accurate. I know that the league says play is part of the equation, but it looks like salary is the big driver of comp picks.

NJ-STEELER
08-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Is production still part of the comp pick process. I thought they did away with that and just considered contracts

Shawn
08-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks chad, time will tell...... My boss is a broncos fan and I happily let her know sanders drops the most important ones when they count! Lol Then him and Manning deserve one another. Both fold up like lawn chairs when it counts.

Steelwolf
08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Then him and Manning deserve one another. Both fold up like lawn chairs when it counts.

Haha that's great!