PDA

View Full Version : Draftnicks.....be honest

Captain Lemming
04-29-2014, 01:24 PM
A question for all you draft "experts".

How many of you were absolutely elated when we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed 1 and 2?
I was stoked big time.

Here is a reminder:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/21/4248364/steelers-draft-history-2008

Have you EVER been more excited top to bottom with a draft by this current staff?

Not a one a current NFL starter. Sweed an absolute bust.
Ironically only our last pick, career backup Mundy is the only player in that entire draft under contract with an NFL team.

Again, how did you feel after that draft? HONESTLY.

phillyesq
04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
I'll admit, I was pretty excited in 2012. I loved the DD pick, and I thought that Ta'amu would be the answer at NT. I didn't love the picks of Adams or Spence, but I liked Rainey and Toney Clemons as later round picks.

calmkiller
04-29-2014, 01:34 PM
I did not want Mendenhall at all. I was fine with the Sweed pick. Shame he didn't work out. Still, never did like Mendenhall.

steelblood
04-29-2014, 01:49 PM
A question for all you draft "experts".

How many of you were absolutely elated when we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed 1 and 2?
I was stoked big time.

Here is a reminder:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/21/4248364/steelers-draft-history-2008

Have you EVER been more excited top to bottom with a draft by this current staff?

Not a one a current NFL starter. Sweed an absolute bust.
Ironically only our last pick, career backup Mundy is the only player in that entire draft under contract with an NFL team.

Again, how did you feel after that draft? HONESTLY.

I was happy with that draft (at least the top). Mendenhall had some good years and some big games, but ultimately fell short of expectations. Running Backs are a crapshoot and injuries played a part in his struggles and missed time. Sweed had the talent. He could have be a star. But, by all accounts he lost his marbles. It happens.

If your point is that all of this draft talk is pointless, then you might as well give up now. Go away and let folks have fun. No one here thinks they know it all. We enjoy the Steelers and the draft. We enjoy college football and the discussions about players. Actually, it informs and deepens my understanding and enjoyment of every NFL game as I see these players again on NFL teams and remember their college careers, scouting reports and, and the experts' projections. It is fun to see the art and science of the draft come together and to watch NFL teams try to beat the system and other teams attempt to assemble their championship team. Sure, there is a great deal of luck or good fortune involved in being successful. But, that is also true of many NFL games and seasons. That is part of what makes the draft fun and an interesting mystery worth discussing and analyzing.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
I was quite excited with the Mendenhall and Sweed picks...couldn't believe that either of them fell into our laps...never expected that to happen. I did not like the Bruce Davis pick...I was a Cliff Avril guy that year (and I think we brought Avril in for a pre-draft visit that year but did not bring in Davis, which made the Davis pick all the more puzzling when Avril was still available for us in round 3). I was indifferent about the Hills pick, but thought that it could be a decent value pick if he was able to recover from his injuries. I thought Dixon was intriguing where we got him because he was a Heisman candidate before his injury struck. Was indifferent about the last two picks at the time.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2014, 02:09 PM
I'll admit, I was pretty excited in 2012. I loved the DD pick, and I thought that Ta'amu would be the answer at NT. I didn't love the picks of Adams or Spence, but I liked Rainey and Toney Clemons as later round picks.

LOVED the DeCastro pick (as I'm sure many of you remember). Also really liked the Ta'Amu pick as well. Not a fan of the Adams pick at all (but nothing was getting me down from my DeCastro high, so I put up with it). I wasn't on the Spence or Rainey bandwagons pre-draft, but saw enough attributes that were sufficiently intriguing to make me like those picks at the time.

Iron City Inc.
04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Mendenhall pick I was good with that. He had clocked I believe a 4.45 and seemed durable enough,shifty enough and at 218 or so big enough. Desire to be special I guess is something one can't always figure out. He had some good performances but what's going on between a prospects ears you just never know for sure.

flippy
04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
I was most excited about Sweed. And I still think he was a good football player even though he didn't pan out likely do to some other non football issues. In general I liked the draft at the time. But now it makes me nervous any time the experts say a guy fell to us that's a can't miss.

Made me worried about Pouncey, DD, and JJ for example.

SidSmythe
04-29-2014, 02:33 PM
I was disappointed with the draft b/c we needed OL in the worst way and we didn't get it done.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2014, 02:33 PM
I was most excited about Sweed. And I still think he was a good football player even though he didn't pan out likely do to some other non football issues. In general I liked the draft at the time. But now it makes me nervous any time the experts say a guy fell to us that's a can't miss.

Made me worried about Pouncey, DD, and JJ for example.

I'll be happy if flippy gets nervous because Mike Evans falls to us in a week-and-a-half. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
I was disappointed with the draft b/c we needed OL in the worst way and we didn't get it done.

That happens when 7 of the first 21 picks are offensive tackles. I thought reaching for the 8th OT at #23 would have been a major stretch, but in hindsight, Duane Brown turned out to be a much better pick then Mendenhall. Oh well.

phillyesq
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I was quite excited with the Mendenhall and Sweed picks...couldn't believe that either of them fell into our laps...never expected that to happen. I did not like the Bruce Davis pick...I was a Cliff Avril guy that year (and I think we brought Avril in for a pre-draft visit that year but did not bring in Davis, which made the Davis pick all the more puzzling when Avril was still available for us in round 3). I was indifferent about the Hills pick, but thought that it could be a decent value pick if he was able to recover from his injuries. I thought Dixon was intriguing where we got him because he was a Heisman candidate before his injury struck. Was indifferent about the last two picks at the time.

Davis over Avril still stings. You are correct - Avril was brought in for a visit, and Davis was not. I couldn't understand it, and still don't. The only explanation I could come up with was that there must have been something negative in the interview with Avril.

Ghost
04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Didn't really know all that much about Mendy but was trusting the front office had done it's homework so neither ecstatic nor concerned. Was very excited about the Sweed pick. Most definitely thought they'd gotten a steal on a big WR. I remember all the pundits thinking he was tremendous value at his pick. Who knew he'd be such a giant bust. Didn't know Davis but a lot of people thought it was a sketchy pick (and it was). Thought maybe the'd get a steal (at least for special teams) in Humpal (they did not...).

Shawn
04-29-2014, 03:00 PM
I was lukewarm on Mendenhall...loved the Sweed pick. I still think the guy had the talent just not the mentality.

Captain Lemming
04-29-2014, 10:10 PM
If your point is that all of this draft talk is pointless, then you might as well give up now. Go away and let folks have fun.

:D Wow, that is pretty strong.
I myself have engaged in this draft talk discussion. Not saying it is pointless all.
On another thread someone commented on HOW WRONG he was that year. I recalled myself also being CERTAIN that was quite the draft. I also recall the board being ecstatic over that draft. Here is the topic

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42406-Dulac-Steelers-want-to-draft-Texas-A-amp-M-WR-Mike-Evans/page25

THAT is why I started this thread

No one here thinks they know it all.

I don't doubt YOU feel that way.
Speak for yourself.....fine.
Not so convinced that is a universal POV on this list. :)

Recalling that draft keeps me grounded.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2014, 02:43 AM
I was shocked when Mendenhall and Sweed were still available when the Steelers selected in Rounds 1 & 2.

now I know why...

steelblood
04-30-2014, 08:40 AM
:D Wow, that is pretty strong.
I myself have engaged in this draft talk discussion. Not saying it is pointless all.
On another thread someone commented on HOW WRONG he was that year. I recalled myself also being CERTAIN that was quite the draft. I also recall the board being ecstatic over that draft. Here is the topic

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42406-Dulac-Steelers-want-to-draft-Texas-A-amp-M-WR-Mike-Evans/page25

THAT is why I started this thread

I don't doubt YOU feel that way.
Speak for yourself.....fine.
Not so convinced that is a universal POV on this list. :)

Recalling that draft keeps me grounded.

wasnt putting words in your mouth (thus the "if").

But, we have been over and over this draft as it seems to be a favorite of those who dislike talking about the draft. I simply wanted to avert that tired conversation about pointless draft talk if possible.

glad to know you are open-minded enough.........for a lemming

flippy
04-30-2014, 09:41 AM
I'll be happy if flippy gets nervous because Mike Evans falls to us in a week-and-a-half. ;)

LOL. Me too. Seriously, if he falls to us, there's gotta be something wrong with him right?

Captain Lemming
04-30-2014, 10:14 AM
wasnt putting words in your mouth (thus the "if").
glad to know you are open-minded enough.........for a lemming

Hey, hey, when will the anti-lemming slurs stop!!!
Think for a minute of how WRONG you are.

WE ARE KNOWN FIRST AND FOREMOST AS THOSE MOST LIKELY TO FOLLOW A CROWD.

THEREFORE, the idea that us lemmings would do anything but enjoy the most popular topic on this board is the very antithesis of what a lemming is.

People use the term lemming to dis anybody here as stupid whether they identify as a lemming or not. That is a slur.

Truth here my friend, lemmings are in fact in the top ten of the most intelligent of all arctic rodents.

Donald Sterling gets kicked out of the NBA for insensitive comments, but where is the outrage over anti-lemming comments here?

So before you go willy nilly slandering an entire species you need to get an education pal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

(Yes and you will see that we ARE NOT suicidal morons that the media makes us out to be)

Sorry for the rant, but after silently seeing the name of a proud rodent race being drug through the mud time and time again here, it had to be said.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2014, 10:24 AM
LOL. Me too. Seriously, if he falls to us, there's gotta be something wrong with him right?

I'm just hoping he drops because teams at the top of the draft think that because of the overall WR depth in this draft, they decide to take an top-ranked prospect at a different position over Evans because they can afford to wait until round 2 or 3 and still potentially get a quality starting WR on day two, while upgrading their OL, secondary, pass rush, etc. with their pick early in round 1.

For instance:

A team with OT and WR needs might prefer Taylor Lewan and Cody Latimer to Mike Evans and Joel Bitonio.

A team with CB and WR needs might prefer Justin Gilbert and Jordan Matthews to Mike Evans and Keith McGill.

A team with safety and WR needs might prefer Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Allen Robinson to Mike Evans and Jimmie Ward.

A team with pass rush and WR needs might prefer Anthony Barr and Donte Moncrief to Mike Evans and Jeremiah Attaochu.

A team with TE and WR needs might prefer Eric Ebron and Davante Adams to Mike Evans and Troy Niklas.

A team with QB and WR needs might prefer Blake Bortles and Martavis Bryant to Mike Evans and Jimmy Garappolo.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm not a big follower of college ball, so most of my opinion comes this time of year - with a few exceptions. In 2008 I remember that every mock had Mendenhall going to the Panthers at 13. It was locked in. DMac to the Raiders at 4, Mendy to the Panthers at 13. The hope for those wanting a RB (which was a need) was that Stewart could fall to the Steelers at 23.

At the moment I thought it was great that he fell all the way to us, but then I wondered why two teams who were RB needy passed on him. Then, as I looked online to see him in action, two things struck me. One was the odd offense that he was in, almost a forerunner to the read option that enjoyed a brief stay recently. The second was that it looked like he was never touched when running the ball. To me that is always a warning sign when trying to evaluate RBs. Two others that fall into that category for me are Eddy Lacy (last year's OROY) and Ron Dayne (Heisman bust). How are you supposed to know how a guy will perform at the next level if you never see his reaction to contact?

Captain Lemming
04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm just hoping he drops because teams at the top of the draft think that because of the overall WR depth in this draft, they decide to take an top-ranked prospect at a different position over Evans because they can afford to wait until round 2 or 3 and still potentially get a quality starting WR on day two, while upgrading their OL, secondary, pass rush, etc. with their pick early in round 1.

For instance:

A team with OT and WR needs might prefer Taylor Lewan and Cody Latimer to Mike Evans and Joel Bitonio.

A team with CB and WR needs might prefer Justin Gilbert and Jordan Matthews to Mike Evans and Keith McGill.

A team with safety and WR needs might prefer Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Allen Robinson to Mike Evans and Jimmie Ward.

A team with pass rush and WR needs might prefer Anthony Barr and Donte Moncrief to Mike Evans and Jeremiah Attaochu.

A team with TE and WR needs might prefer Eric Ebron and Davante Adams to Mike Evans and Troy Niklas.

A team with QB and WR needs might prefer Blake Bortles and Martavis Bryant to Mike Evans and Jimmy Garappolo.

That is precisely why he would drop pass me, or I would trade down if someone wanted him that badly.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2014, 11:07 AM
That is precisely why he would drop pass me, or I would trade down if someone wanted him that badly.

Evans is a legit top 10 talent, and we don't have the ability to get our hands on one of those very often.

Teams in the top 10 have the option of taking other top 10 talent, but if you can get a legit top 10 talent at #15, particularly at a position of need, you don't pass on that.

Oviedo
04-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Evans is a legit top 10 talent, and we don't have the ability to get our hands on one of those very often.

Teams in the top 10 have the option of taking other top 10 talent, but if you can get a legit top 10 talent at #15, particularly at a position of need, you don't pass on that.

Well said. No way do you pass up someone like Evans.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Didn't like the Mendy pick but he looked to be BPA. Trade out would have been my choice there...But we don't know if they tried.

Thought Sweed was great value...Had high hopes. I would say about 98.7999% of EVERYONE was on that train.

flippy
04-30-2014, 11:39 AM

And that's exactly why I'd be paranoid if he fell to us. He's a stud. So why would anyone pass on him? Unless there was something wrong.

I get what you're saying in your other post. But I don't see teams passing on Evans if he's as good as we think he is. And if they do, there must be some flaw in his game.

I dunno. I really would hope we got a guy like this. I can't wait to see who if anyone falls that shouldn't.

Slapstick
04-30-2014, 12:07 PM
I get what you're saying in your other post. But I don't see teams passing on Evans if he's as good as we think he is. And if they do, there must be some flaw in his game.

Or, teams ahead of us draft for need instead of value...

feltdizz
04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
I was hype... I just knew we had a a great draft until Mendenhall had 3 fumbles in a row in preseason and Sweed dropped that wide open pass vs SD. A lot of people forgot the SD drop the week before the Baltimore drop because we had the SD game won already. Sweed dropped a beauty in garbage time and the next drop solidified my opinion on Sweed.

papillon
04-30-2014, 03:32 PM
I remember thinking that the Steelers found great value and players in rounds one and two. The thing that I remember most is how easily Limas Sweed appeared to get open. It seemed as if no one could prevent him getting off the LOS and getting open. I'm thinking, d@mn, Ben is going to tear it up with this guy and then the issues started, a shame really.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
04-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Well that depends.
If you are interested in winning superbowls, drafting a top ten talent receiver does NOTHING to increase your chances.
If you want big receiver stats like the of Lions or Falcons top 10 receiver matters.

Top receivers are among the most likely position to be a first round bust.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/draft-primer-those-shiny-wide-receivers/2454/

Even more important there is ZERO correlation between highly drafted receivers and championships.
We draft 15 right?
Since the 2000 draft NOT ONE of the 20 something receivers taken top 15 helped the team that drafted him win a SB. (Plax drafted 8th by us in 2000 won with the Giants)

Even at coin flip level random that stat is unlikely.

The LAST receiver to star on a championship team that drafted him was Torry Holt.

The list:

Tavon Austin (8th Pick St Louis

Justin Blackmon (5th pick Jax)
Michael Floyd (13th pick AZ)

A.J. Green, Falcons
Julio Jones, Cowboys

None Drafted

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland (7th pick - Oakland)
Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (10th pick - San Francisco)

None Drafted

Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech (2nd pick - Detroit)
Ted Ginn, Jr., Ohio State (9th pick – Miami)

None Drafted

Braylon Edwards, Michigan (3rd pick – Cleveland)
Troy Williamson, South Carolina (7th pick – Minnesota)
Mike Williams, USC (10th pick – Detroit)

Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh (3rd pick – Arizona)
Roy Williams, Texas (7th pick – Detroit)
Reggie Williams, Washington (9th pick – Jacksonville)

Charles Rogers, Michigan State (2nd pick – Detroit)
Andre Johnson, Miami-FL (3rd pick – Houston)

Donte Stallworth, Tennessee (13th pick, New Orleans)

David Terrell, Michigan (8th pick – Chicago)
Koren Robinson, NC State (9th pick – Seattle)
Rod Gardner, Clemson (15th pick – Washington)

If Evans falls trade down and get a late first receiver in the DEEP RECEIVER draft and score ANOTHER high pick.

You want a top ten drafted receiver? We got this guy. :)

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/Darrius-Heyward-Bey-Steelers.jpg

8467thekraken
04-30-2014, 08:56 PM
I was beyond ecstatic.

It was a very disheartening final outcome.

Shoe
04-30-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm certainly wrong my share, but I was mildly satisfied with Mendenhall (pure value pick: he was considered top 10 at some points in the draft process), and thought Sweed was a wasted pick.

D Rock
04-30-2014, 10:12 PM
It could have been the alcohol, but I rolled on the floor giggling with excitement when we got Sweed after already getting Mendenhall

ikestops85
05-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I have readily admitted that I loved the Mendy, Sweed picks. However, that probably wasn't my worst prognostication. Fast forward to the 2012 draft and I thought that one would be one of the great drafts that the Steelers ever had. DD falling to us started it off and I even liked Adams in the 2nd round. Most had him as 1st round talent so I thought we got a great value drafting him there. Spence I wasn't sure about but the more I read and saw I thought he would fit in well. Ta'amu in the 4th was incredible. The guy was going to be like another Casey Hampton. Add the speed and quickness of Rainey in the 5th and I gave us an A+++ for this draft. I didn't even care about the 7th rounders we got.

Damn good thing I'm not the GM. ;-)

Slapstick
05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
When Sweed was drafted, all I saw in my mind's eye was his game winning TD catch against tOSU in the Horseshoe for the first ever Texas vs. tOSU game...

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2014, 03:26 PM
http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/getty/comp/1hKiqW.png

SteelerOfDeVille
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
I hadn't watched Mendenhall. Jonathan Stewart (who carolina chose) was actually the guy I mocked all offseason because Mendy was supposed to be Carolina's pick. I thought Stewart and Ray Rice were the 2 best RB "I had seen", but, couldn't comment on Mendenhall. I'm pretty sure I mocked James Hardy in the 2nd (bust, turned out to be gone by the time the Steelers picked, anyway) and Cliff Avril in the 3rd (solid).

Based on what experts said, I never expected Mendy or Limas to be there for either round's selection. I was happy purely based on what the experts say...

Just as... if for some reason Greg Robinson falls and the Steelers select him this year, I'd be happy. But, I've never watched the guy cuz i don't expect him to be there.