PDA

View Full Version : Are the Rooneys too greedy?

sick beats
04-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Now the Rooneys are raising ticket prices again, after two awful 8-8 seasons.

Oh, but keep your eye on the shell game: Art 2 said they are lowering prices on pre-season games, so should we feel happy?

Well, do the math. Lower prices on 2 games, increase the prices on 8 games, and what do you end up with?

Not fooling me, Rooneys.

Also, did you know we have to pay among he highest beer prices per once in the country?

That's BS. Why do the Rooneys have to squeeze their fans so badly? When is enough enough?

That is abusive to the common man.

Trust me: We are going to begin to see empty seats. It's coming.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2014, 01:27 PM
find another team

Shawn
04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
find another team really?.....

sick beats
04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
find another team

Make me. Try it.

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
It's an average increase of 3.5%, so it's not as if tickets are suddenly doubling in price. If you could afford $100 seats before, you likely will be able to afford $103.50 seats now. If you could afford $200 seats before, you can likely afford $207 seats now. They've been the same price for last two seasons, so I'm not shocked by slight market-correction uptick in my season ticket prices. I'm also quite glad for the variable pricing adjustment, possibly making it easier for me to re-sell preseason game tix if I am not able to go.

CoachCuck
04-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Art II is all about the money. Times are changing boys.

Notleadpoisoned
04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Now the Rooneys are raising ticket prices again, after two awful 8-8 seasons.

Oh, but keep your eye on the shell game: Art 2 said they are lowering prices on pre-season games, so should we feel happy?

Well, do the math. Lower prices on 2 games, increase the prices on 8 games, and what do you end up with?

Not fooling me, Rooneys.

Also, did you know we have to pay among he highest beer prices per once in the country?

That's BS. Why do the Rooneys have to squeeze their fans so badly? When is enough enough?

That is abusive to the common man.

Find a cheaper product then, like Pitt Panther tickets for example.

Iron City Inc.
04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Being a person of "limited cash flow" I can understand the issues. But know one said the product would be cheap only that it's worth it!

pittpete
04-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Quit ya whining
You sound like a little girl.

sick beats
04-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Find a cheaper product then, like Pitt Panther tickets for example.

I don't live any where near the area, so it doesn't impact me. And the last 5-6 games I did attend I had free luxury box seats, so, again, it doesn't impact me. That being said, I am sick of the middle class being abused and gutted. Sure, it only went up 3.5% you can say, but add in how much parking and beer costs, and Rooneys are being too greedy. What's a beer cost now? 10 bucks? Highway robbery. Just wait until more empty seats start showing up. Families can't afford to attend games. Most are realizing watching the game on a 60" HD TV makes more sense all the way around.

steelz09
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Begin seeing empty seats? Last season, I saw LOTS of empty seats.

squidkid
04-07-2014, 02:53 PM
i love the lemming responses to everything steeler organization related. 'if you dont like it, root for another team'.

sick beats
04-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Art II is all about the money. Times are changing boys.

The level of greed has just increased. The upper 1% are just kicking the guts out of the common man. It's gone way too far.

ikestops85
04-07-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't live any where near the area, so it doesn't impact me. And the last 5-6 games I did attend I had free luxury box seats, so, again, it doesn't impact me. That being said, I am sick of the middle class being abused and gutted. Sure, it only went up 3.5% you can say, but add in how much parking and beer costs, and Rooneys are being too greedy. What's a beer cost now? 10 bucks? Highway robbery. Just wait until more empty seats start showing up. Families can't afford to attend games. Most are realizing watching the game on a 60" HD TV makes more sense all the way around.

I don't think this has anything to do with the Rooneys ... it has to do with all the owners. I think they already have priced themselves above what families can afford. Of course I wouldn't take young kids to a game anyway with the behavior of many fans.

fordfixer
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Yep they are greedy they already have 6 Super Bowl trophy's. Yet the still want more.

sick beats
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with the Rooneys ... it has to do with all the owners. I think they already have priced themselves above what families can afford. Of course I wouldn't take young kids to a game anyway with the behavior of many fans.

Those are some good points. I think it's waste to take kids to something so expensive where they don't even appreciate the game (with the younger ones). I wouldn't take kids until they were at least 12.

feltdizz
04-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Probably the main reason prices are being raised...

feltdizz
04-07-2014, 03:55 PM
i love the lemming responses to everything steeler organization related. 'if you dont like it, root for another team'.

well... in this case it should be "root for another sport" because damn near every other team is also raising prices.

The reason I think YOU hear it so much is because you rarely sound like watching or talking about the Steelers is fun. Most wonder why you torture yourself so much by watching this filth

squidkid
04-07-2014, 04:41 PM
well... in this case it should be "root for another sport" because damn near every other team is also raising prices.

The reason I think YOU hear it so much is because you rarely sound like watching or talking about the Steelers is fun. Most wonder why you torture yourself so much by watching this filth

i enjoy taking the other side. the one where independent thought is used.
you do know that you can be knowledgeable and still have fun and about a subject, don't you?

sick beats
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Begin seeing empty seats? Last season, I saw LOTS of empty seats.

Well, with an 0-4 and 2-6 start, it is even more likely to happen. But even if we have a more optimistic season, economics are gong to dictate the needed sacrifices are just not worth it any longer.

you do know that you can be knowledgeable and still have fun and about a subject, don't you?

I know you weren't talking to me, but yes, I do realize that.

steelblood
04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I already see empty seats especially when the weather gets bad or the team is playing poorly. Nothing new there

NJ-STEELER
04-07-2014, 10:54 PM
I already see empty seats especially when the weather gets bad or the team is playing poorly. Nothing new there
you might see empty seats, but those tickets are paid for.

phillyesq
04-07-2014, 11:03 PM
The level of greed has just increased. The upper 1% are just kicking the guts out of the common man. It's gone way too far.

Take this political crap elsewhere.

phillyesq
04-07-2014, 11:05 PM
It's an average increase of 3.5%, so it's not as if tickets are suddenly doubling in price. If you could afford $100 seats before, you likely will be able to afford $103.50 seats now. If you could afford $200 seats before, you can likely afford $207 seats now. They've been the same price for last two seasons, so I'm not shocked by slight market-correction uptick in my season ticket prices. I'm also quite glad for the variable pricing adjustment, possibly making it easier for me to re-sell preseason game tix if I am not able to go.

An increase that, essentially, keeps pace with inflation over that time period.

Jooser
04-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Some of the same people crying that we never spend money on quality talent are the same ones crying about ticket prices....

I don't know, some of you need a reality check....

These tickets are the same prices found around the whole league.....get a freaking grip....

Sugar
04-08-2014, 07:13 AM
An increase that, essentially, keeps pace with inflation over that time period.

That is what I was thinking as well... The price of milk and a lot of other commodities around here has gone up more than that in the past couple of years.

feltdizz
04-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Taking the negative side of every Steeler thread is fun? Interesting...

squidkid
04-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Taking the negative side of every Steeler thread is fun? Interesting...

blindly agreeing with every move makes you, what exactly?

flippy
04-08-2014, 10:35 AM
As long as the demand is greater than the supply of tickets, they can keep raising ticket prices. They easily could have raised prices much higher.

Slapstick
04-08-2014, 12:11 PM

No better than blindly disagreeing with every move...

squidkid
04-08-2014, 01:02 PM
No better than blindly disagreeing with every move...

exactly. so why do the lemmings always cry about people that disagree with decisions?

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2014, 01:29 PM

If you park on the North Side by the stadium, you are going to get gouged when parking, so I park downtown, where the city lots still charge $5 on gamedays. I don't mind stretching my legs and walking across the Clemente Bridge and past PNC Park on my way to Heinz, especially after sitting it a car for over 5 hours.

Personally, I don't drink, and don't understand why folks feel the need to get themselves blasted to enjoy a football game, but if you do, you can easily bring your own beer, and drink it at the tailgate of your car before the game. Since I don't drink, I visit the Designated Driver booths they have set up at each gate before every game, enter their weekly contest and get a free soft drink to keep my vocal cords somewhat moist from all of the screaming I do when we are on defense.

I stop somewhere to eat during my drive in and stop somewhere else to eat during my drive out (better quality food for less money than stadium concession stands), spend my $5 to park downtown, drink my free soda (or "pop" for my SWPA brethren) up in my $70 upper deck bleacher seat, and overall, end up spending most of my money on gamedays to buy gas for the 11 hour round trip drive for each game.

sick beats
04-08-2014, 01:40 PM

What will be "new" is the # of empty seats. It's happening all over. Did you see any Raider games last year? The entire upper tier was empty the games I saw. That is pretty radical.

Oviedo
04-08-2014, 01:44 PM
What will be "new" is the # of empty seats. It's happening all over. Did you see any Raider games last year? The entire upper tier was empty the games I saw. That is pretty radical.

But as previously mentioned they will all be 100% PAID FOR seats for every game with a waiting list a decade plus long for those seats. Pittsburgh is not Oakland or Jacksonville (entire upper deck closed and tarped over).

sick beats
04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
If you park on the North Side by the stadium, you are going to get gouged when parking, so I park downtown, where the city lots still charge $5 on gamedays. I don't mind stretching my legs and walking across the Clemente Bridge and past PNC Park on my way to Heinz, especially after sitting it a car for over 5 hours.

Personally, I don't drink, and don't understand why folks feel the need to get themselves blasted to enjoy a football game, but if you do, you can easily bring your own beer, and drink it at the tailgate of your car before the game. Since I don't drink, I visit the Designated Driver booths they have set up at each gate before every game, enter their weekly contest and get a free soft drink to keep my vocal cords somewhat moist from all of the screaming I do when we are on defense.

I stop somewhere to eat during my drive in and stop somewhere else to eat during my drive out (better quality food for less money than stadium concession stands), spend my $5 to park downtown, drink my free soda (or "pop" for my SWPA brethren) up in my $70 upper deck bleacher seat, and overall, end up spending most of my money on gamedays to buy gas for the 11 hour round trip drive for each game.

I will say this: NO one can say you aren't a hard core fan. 11 hour car trip is pretty crazy to make every home game. I used to not be crazy about a 2.5 hour drive each way. Live games are pretty awesome. But these days, 1 a year is enough for me. Sometimes I don't even make it once, but, then again, I live in FL. As far as getting blasted for games, I feel no need for that either. I used to drink 6 hours before a game and have no desire to do that. Matter of fact, much more than 1 hour of tailgaiting gets awful boring to me. I also have to say, you got your game plan down pat. I also don't mind walking across the bridge; we do that when we stay at a hotel dun tuhn. That is a blast. Kudos, Burger. You might be one of the most fervent fans out there. I am surprised you don't find a way to move and live in de Burgh; it would really simplify your life.

sick beats
04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
These tickets are the same prices found around the whole league.....get a freaking grip....

And those prices are too high as well. The league is the one that is about to get a reality check.

People are about to stop showing up. It's coming.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2014, 01:59 PM
I will say this: NO one can say you aren't a hard core fan. 11 hour car trip is pretty crazy to make every home game. I used to not be crazy about a 2.5 hour drive each way. Live games are pretty awesome. But these days, 1 a year is enough for me. Sometimes I don't even make it once, but, then again, I live in FL. As far as getting blasted for games, I feel no need for that either. I used to drink 6 hours before a game and have no desire to do that. Matter of fact, much more than 1 hour of tailgaiting gets awful boring to me. I also have to say, you got your game plan down pat. I also don't mind walking across the bridge; we do that when we stay at a hotel dun tuhn. That is a blast. Kudos, Burger. You might be one of the most fervent fans out there. I am surprised you don't find a way to move and live in de Burgh; it would really simplify your life.

My wife's family business is up here in northeast PA, so that's where we'll stay. My dad still takes the ride out with me for a least half the games each year. I'll take my two kids to at least one game each per season. Then a friend here or there (it's been a few years since my wife made the trek out with me). If you are only going to one game though, then by all means live it up while you are there, since it's like a vacation. But since I've been doing this routine ever since Heinz opened, I've pared things down to make it as simple as possible. Much like most of us who visit a site like this regularly, my focus is on the football itself rather than all of the other glitz that surrounds an NFL production. As long as that remains fun, I'll continue to make the autumn sojourns.

papillon
04-08-2014, 02:21 PM
And those prices are too high as well. The league is the one that is about to get a reality check.

People are about to stop showing up. It's coming.

I hope fans never stop going to the games, because once that happens the "free" TV viewing of the games will end; I'm rather surprised that the NFL hasn't put the kabosh on network TV to broadcast games and allow us common folk to watch on our 60" plus TVs in High Def. :D If fans stop going the "free" TV will in all likelihood become a thing of the past and all games will be pay per view or something similar.

Even during the season I only get to watch games that are broadcast on network or NFLN, otherwise, the Redzone is how I keep up with the Steelers. It's just the way it is, I won't spend for NFL ticket or similar programming, so, I watch when I can and go to the stadium once a year when my friends with tickets have someone that isn't going and I can use their ticket.

Pappy

sick beats
04-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I hope fans never stop going to the games, because once that happens the "free" TV viewing of the games will end; I'm rather surprised that the NFL hasn't put the kabosh on network TV to broadcast games and allow us common folk to watch on our 60" plus TVs in High Def. :D If fans stop going the "free" TV will in all likelihood become a thing of the past and all games will be pay per view or something similar.

Even during the season I only get to watch games that are broadcast on network or NFLN, otherwise, the Redzone is how I keep up with the Steelers. It's just the way it is, I won't spend for NFL ticket or similar programming, so, I watch when I can and go to the stadium once a year when my friends with tickets have someone that isn't going and I can use their ticket.

Pappy

Actually, Pappy, my free TV has already ended, being that I pay for the NFL Ticket to ensure I get every Steeler game. But I have to admit: I got kneed in the balls this year. My cost became fairly jaw dropping and most Steeler games were on regular TV, the way it turned out. So there I sat, paying major $, and most weeks it wasn't even needed. Now, to be fair, I do enjoy flipping to whatever game I feel like - but you really don't do much of that, if your prime, Steeler game is what you are watching. They took the Redzone off my options (started to ask for even MORE $ to get that which is such BS), but there are other channels that basically do the same thing. On NFL Ticket, there is a channel that shows all six games on one screen and you can click on whatever game looks the most interesting. I have to really look at the cost vs. benefit for the NFLT. If I have to go to the bar just 3-4 times for the games not on, it might be worth it. Plus, we have friends who we meet out for those games, and that is pretty fun. Just don't want to do it every week.

Oh, one other factor: Being that Pgh is coming off two 8-8 season, they will be featured less on national games. They are no longer considered a legit contender, and mostly TV wants to feature the better teams. But, it's not like the Steelers will be relegated to a team like the Jags or Bucs, ever.

feltdizz
04-08-2014, 03:03 PM

it makes me realize you are a kid because I don't blindly agree with every move they make.

I'm just wondering if you get any joy out of watching this team because it sure doesn't sound like it.

feltdizz
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Oh, one other factor: Being that Pgh is coming off two 8-8 season, they will be featured less on national games. They are no longer considered a legit contender, and mostly TV wants to feature the better teams. But, it's not like the Steelers will be relegated to a team like the Jags or Bucs, ever.

I think TV wants to feature teams who get good ratings... and the Steelers ALWAYS get good ratings because we make every game into a nail biter.

Oviedo
04-08-2014, 03:41 PM
My wife's family business is up here in northeast PA, so that's where we'll stay. My dad still takes the ride out with me for a least half the games each year. I'll take my two kids to at least one game each per season. Then a friend here or there (it's been a few years since my wife made the trek out with me). If you are only going to one game though, then by all means live it up while you are there, since it's like a vacation. But since I've been doing this routine ever since Heinz opened, I've pared things down to make it as simple as possible. Much like most of us who visit a site like this regularly, my focus is on the football itself rather than all of the other glitz that surrounds an NFL production. As long as that remains fun, I'll continue to make the autumn sojourns.

So what you really mean is that you are one of those natural gas millionaires who is making a ton of money "fracking" in NE Pa so you have all the time and money in the world to travel to games;)

Oviedo
04-08-2014, 03:43 PM

The Steelers at 8-8 will fill more seats and draw a bigger TV audience than most teams at 12-4. That is not lost on the NFL. I've been to the Jags stadium and seen it with 50% of the fans being Steelers fans.

sick beats
04-08-2014, 04:09 PM
The Steelers at 8-8 will fill more seats and draw a bigger TV audience than most teams at 12-4. That is not lost on the NFL. I've been to the Jags stadium and seen it with 50% of the fans being Steelers fans.

I have been to almost every single Steeler game in Jax. Although there are TONS of Steeler fans living down here (and that makes it awesome) I have never seen any Jags game with 50% Steeler fans. At the most, I'd say 35% (which is a lot) but lately, the Steeler fan % has decreased. I plan on going this year. We usually out-tail gait Jags fans to the point that they get angry. We are every where.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2014, 04:26 PM
So what you really mean is that you are one of those natural gas millionaires who is making a ton of money "fracking" in NE Pa so you have all the time and money in the world to travel to games;)

Just one of the poor schlubs who gets his drinking water contaminated by those motherfrackers ;)

ikestops85
04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Actually, Pappy, my free TV has already ended, being that I pay for the NFL Ticket to ensure I get every Steeler game. But I have to admit: I got kneed in the balls this year. My cost became fairly jaw dropping and most Steeler games were on regular TV, the way it turned out. So there I sat, paying major $, and most weeks it wasn't even needed. Now, to be fair, I do enjoy flipping to whatever game I feel like - but you really don't do much of that, if your prime, Steeler game is what you are watching. They took the Redzone off my options (started to ask for even MORE $ to get that which is such BS), but there are other channels that basically do the same thing. On NFL Ticket, there is a channel that shows all six games on one screen and you can click on whatever game looks the most interesting. I have to really look at the cost vs. benefit for the NFLT. If I have to go to the bar just 3-4 times for the games not on, it might be worth it. Plus, we have friends who we meet out for those games, and that is pretty fun. Just don't want to do it every week.

I hope you realize you can call Directv every year and they will knock off $120 or more off the price of the Sunday ticket and throw in all the premium stuff like Redzone and watching on your computer. My son lives in Colorado and I live in Northern Virginia and every year we make a game out of who can get the best deal. Normally we both get about the same thing. Something to note is don't take the first offer ... make them go "talk to their supervisor" and you will get a pretty good deal.

Captain Lemming
04-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Hey, If you dont like it root for the other team!!!!

THAT my friend is a "Lemming" response. :)

Slapstick
04-08-2014, 07:47 PM
it makes me realize you are a kid because I don't blindly agree with every move they make.

I'm just wondering if you get any joy out of watching this team because it sure doesn't sound like it.

His name isn't "squidadult"...

sick beats
04-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I hope you realize you can call Directv every year and they will knock off $120 or more off the price of the Sunday ticket and throw in all the premium stuff like Redzone and watching on your computer. My son lives in Colorado and I live in Northern Virginia and every year we make a game out of who can get the best deal. Normally we both get about the same thing. Something to note is don't take the first offer ... make them go "talk to their supervisor" and you will get a pretty good deal.

Yea, Ike, I know this fairly intimately. I negotiated a great original deal to start with. I knew if I called I would save $, for sure I will next season if I still have it. I am just kind of worn down with all of these companies making me fight for every dollar, time spent on phone, on hold, etc. I knew I could get it lower but just wasn't up for it, which is what they count on. Maybe if I made it into a game like you did, I would be more likely to fight it.

squidkid
04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
His name isn't "squidadult"...

yea because everybody's screen name is an accurate description of the person using it.
obviously you like to slap sticks around, yours or other guys i'm guessing

squidkid
04-08-2014, 09:57 PM

here's a typical lemmings response that you should be able to relate to: if you dont like it, quit responding to me. sound familiar?
you dont know jack**** about me(and lots of other things about football), so quit pretending you do

sick beats
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Actually, everyone blows mess on the Jags for those tarps. But I bet you didn't realize their actual attendance #s are higher than ours. The Rooneys always push the whole "20 year waiting list" on tickets thing, so every one assumes we have high attendance #s, but the truth is quite a difference story. The waiting list thing is artificially created.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Slapstick
04-09-2014, 05:32 AM
yea because everybody's screen name is an accurate description of the person using it.
obviously you like to slap sticks around, yours or other guys i'm guessing

Ah, yes...a response that is replete with maturity and insight...exactly what we all have come to expect...

Also, an inability to take a joke...

I can't imagine why some posters on here would think you to be a child...

Slapstick
04-09-2014, 05:39 AM
Actually, everyone blows mess on the Jags for those tarps. But I bet you didn't realize their actual attendance #s are higher than ours. The Rooneys always push the whole "20 year waiting list" on tickets thing, so every one assumes we have high attendance #s, but the truth is quite a difference story. The waiting list thing is artificially created.

No, it isn't...

Jacksonville may have higher attendance, but also has more empty seats than Pittsburgh...

EverBank Field has a seating capacity of 76,867...

Heinz Field has a seating capacity of 65,050...

Also, if you look back at the numbers in previous years, the Steelers exceed the Jaguars attendance regardless of seating capacity...

feltdizz
04-09-2014, 10:36 AM
here's a typical lemmings response that you should be able to relate to: if you dont like it, quit responding to me. sound familiar?
you dont know jack**** about me(and lots of other things about football), so quit pretending you do

Do you realize you are insulting yourself?

pfelix73
04-09-2014, 10:51 AM

DUDE- Get on with it. THEN DON"T BUY A FREAKING BEER! It amazes me at the stupidness (for lack of a better word) of fans who waste all their money on alcohol at games... Get so drunk you don't even remember it.... geez

Furthermore, I AM ON THE WAITING LIST. It is NOT INFLATED or ARTIFICIAL. Been on it since 1996... Move on...

Notleadpoisoned
04-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Sounds like a bunch of malcontents on this thread. The Steelers, love em or leave em you damn spoiled hippies.

Oviedo
04-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Get rid of the drunks and watch the actual butts in seats go up. You can't take a family to a game anymore.

J-ville also doesn't deal with the weather Pittsburgh has in November-January. I have a friend who has season tickets and he sells most of his to fans from other teams and said many of his friends do too. They only keep their tickets in case they ever get good again because the Jags are all that J-ville has for sports.

papillon
04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Actual attendance and purchased tickets are two different things.

Pappy

ikestops85
04-09-2014, 01:18 PM

I have to disagree with what you are saying about attendance. The Steelers and I believe 1 other team in the league actually counts the people that come into the stadium and that is the announced attendance. All the other teams use the "tickets sold" as their announced attendance. I used to hang out at the Bungles site and we often argued about that until someone found an article published that explained that the league did not have a standard way of calculating attendance so each team did it it's own way.

sick beats
04-09-2014, 01:55 PM
No, it isn't...

Jacksonville may have higher attendance, but also has more empty seats than Pittsburgh...

EverBank Field has a seating capacity of 76,867...

Heinz Field has a seating capacity of 65,050...

Also, if you look back at the numbers in previous years, the Steelers exceed the Jaguars attendance regardless of seating capacity...

They have that high capacity due to the FL-GA game, and to attract a Super Bowl, which they did. Jax has the smallest population of almost any NFL city, sans Green Bay maybe. FACTs are hard to dispute. FACT: Jax had a higher attendance than did Pgh last year. FACT. Also, imagine if the Steelers had a team as bad as the Jags. How do you think attendance would rank at that point? We were 28th as it was and had an 8-8 team. Steeler fans need to get their heads out of the clouds. Be careful what you pooh pooh. You point the dirty end of the stick at Jax for having tarps on seats, but in reality they had more fans show up than Pgh did. FACT. Dance however you choose, but it is a FACT Jax had more fans show than Pgh did. FACT. That is far more factual than John Kerry's speech of lies.

sick beats
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Get rid of the drunks and watch the actual butts in seats go up. You can't take a family to a game anymore.

J-ville also doesn't deal with the weather Pittsburgh has in November-January. I have a friend who has season tickets and he sells most of his to fans from other teams and said many of his friends do too. They only keep their tickets in case they ever get good again because the Jags are all that J-ville has for sports.

Pgh also doesn't have Jax Sept. to deal with, when the heat can be unbearable. Tit for tat. 5 of us went to a game in Sept. and 3 out of 5 of us ended up sick from the sun and heat. (I went in doors most of 2nd half so I was fine.) And although Jville doesn't have another major pro sports team, they not only have other sports like baseball, hoops, arena ball, but there is so much more to do in the beautiful north east FL with sunny weather year round, the beach, huge parks, etc. In Pgh, most activity dies from Nov-March. They also have powerhouse college ball with U of FL and FSU. Quite a bit more powerful than PITT sports.

ikestops85
04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
They have that high capacity due to the FL-GA game, and to attract a Super Bowl, which they did. Jax has the smallest population of almost any NFL city, sans Green Bay maybe. FACTs are hard to dispute. FACT: Jax had a higher attendance than did Pgh last year. FACT. Also, imagine if the Steelers had a team as bad as the Jags. How do you think attendance would rank at that point? We were 28th as it was and had an 8-8 team. Steeler fans need to get their heads out of the clouds. Be careful what you pooh pooh. You point the dirty end of the stick at Jax for having tarps on seats, but in reality they had more fans show up than Pgh did. FACT. Dance however you choose, but it is a FACT Jax had more fans show than Pgh did. FACT. That is far more factual than John Kerry's speech of lies.

I think you need to get your FACTS right. As stated earlier there is a difference between "tickets sold" (how JAX calculates attendance) and "butts in seats" (how PGH calculates attendance). You are not comparing apples to apples.

Slapstick
04-09-2014, 02:19 PM
FACT: Jax had a higher attendance than did Pgh last year.

No one disputed that...

FACT: Jacksonville also had more empty seats than did Pgh last year..

sick beats
04-09-2014, 02:28 PM
I have to disagree with what you are saying about attendance. The Steelers and I believe 1 other team in the league actually counts the people that come into the stadium and that is the announced attendance. All the other teams use the "tickets sold" as their announced attendance. I used to hang out at the Bungles site and we often argued about that until someone found an article published that explained that the league did not have a standard way of calculating attendance so each team did it it's own way.

Are you saying you know how the Jags count attendance and they count tickets sold but not butts in the seats? Do you honestly think Pgh average an actual ATTENDANCE (seats filled) of 57,000+ last year. Using my eyes, I can tell you that that figure is bull sh-t. No way did Pgh average 57,000. I saw WAY more empty seats than that.

I can't believe how many Steeler fans fall for the "20 year waiting list" BS. That is artificially created. I can get a ticket to any game I want, and usually pay around face value. Rooneys are liars.

Oviedo
04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
I can't believe how many Steeler fans fall for the "20 year waiting list" BS. That is artificially created. I can get a ticket to any game I want, and usually pay around face value. Rooneys are liars.

I doubt you can get a season ticket. I know perople who have been trying for years. Single game tickets, of course you can because selling a couple games a year is how many season ticket holders offset the cost of the season ticket. Just cause you can go on stub hub doesn't mesan there isn't a 20 year waiting list

Slapstick
04-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Are you saying you know how the Jags count attendance and they count tickets sold but not butts in the seats? Do you honestly think Pgh average an actual ATTENDANCE (seats filled) of 57,000+ last year. Using my eyes, I can tell you that that figure is bull sh-t. No way did Pgh average 57,000. I saw WAY more empty seats than that.

Sure thing...

Holy tinfoil hat!!

phillyesq
04-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Actually, you are a buffoon. The waiting list for season tickets is quite real. Tickets purchased in the secondary market are a different story.

SteelCrazy
04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
This topic is stupid. Pittsburgh has the 4th smallest population (306,000) in the NFL. Those with less people are Green Bay (106,000) Buffalo (259,000) and Cincy (295,000). When the Steelers are at capacity, that is 21% of Pittsburgh attending. (Yes, I KNOW, people travel to Pitt from all over, but still....)

Plus, The Rooney's spend every cent of their allowed salary cap each year and would spend more if they could. I'm sure they have deceptive ways of making money, but it is a business.......oh, forget it!

Eddie Spaghetti
04-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Pgh also doesn't have Jax Sept. to deal with, when the heat can be unbearable. Tit for tat. 5 of us went to a game in Sept. and 3 out of 5 of us ended up sick from the sun and heat. (I went in doors most of 2nd half so I was fine.) And although Jville doesn't have another major pro sports team, they not only have other sports like baseball, hoops, arena ball, but there is so much more to do in the beautiful north east FL with sunny weather year round, the beach, huge parks, etc. In Pgh, most activity dies from Nov-March. They also have powerhouse college ball with U of FL and FSU. Quite a bit more powerful than PITT sports.

this post is hilarious on many different levels

DBR96A
04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
It's called inflation.

The Man of Steel
04-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Let's finish this discussion after the Jaguars move to Los Angeles next year.

Sugar
04-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Let's finish this discussion after the Jaguars move to Los Angeles next year.

With the death of Wilson, it might be the Bills who make the move. They might not have a choice if the family is unable to keep the team.

The Man of Steel
04-10-2014, 07:38 AM
With the death of Wilson, it might be the Bills who make the move. They might not have a choice if the family is unable to keep the team.
I can see the Bills moving to Toronto but not LA.

Ghost
04-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Before we vilify the Rooneys, lets take a gander at the actual facts:

The average ticket price for the Steelers has only risen by 7.8% between 2011 and 2013, compared to the average NFL team’s tickets increasing by more than 16%.

Oviedo
04-10-2014, 10:25 AM

The average ticket price for the Steelers has only risen by 7.8% between 2011 and 2013, compared to the average NFL team’s tickets increasing by more than 16%.

Simple supply and demand. Limited and contrained supply of tickets with excessive demand. That will raise prices and there is nothing wrong with that because before someone spends money on tickets they make a conscious choice to do so. That is not the case with our punish success confiscation of money from people through income taxes where they have no choice.

Sugar
04-10-2014, 12:15 PM
I can see the Bills moving to Toronto but not LA.

It will all depend on who buys them.

Slapstick
04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
That is not the case with our punish success confiscation of money from people through income taxes where they have no choice.

If that were the case, you would think that the wealth inequality gap would be shrinking...

It isn't...

CoachCuck
04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
The penalty for the Bills to leave early in years 1-7 of their new 10 year lease is $400 million.

In years 8-10 it's $28 million.

Before Mr. Wilson died part of that new lease agreement provides the Bills with $90 million in state/county money to renovate Ralph Wilson stadium, which they are doing right now.

Any buyer in years 1-8 would pay the $400 million, plus NFL relocation fees, plus the sale price of the team. Thus making the purchase closer to $2 billion.

They are not having a game in Canada this season due to poor ticket sales.

sick beats
04-11-2014, 02:47 PM

And then there is this crime.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nfl-teams-most-expensive-beer/

Oviedo
04-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Simple solution...don't drink beer. Never understood why some think a buzz or getting drunk enhances the NFL experience.

CoachCuck
04-11-2014, 05:19 PM
This stupid hick from Texas must have got up 10 times for beer during SB XXX.

Finally in the 4th quarter I told him, you get up again? You come in from the other side.

flippy
04-12-2014, 12:01 PM

Holy cow!! Only Oakland and St Louis have lower avg attendance than the Steelers. Wonder why they never talk about moving the Steelers to LA. With attendance like the Steelers have, does the NFL really need a team in Pittsburgh? (Asking from the non fan side of my brain)

flippy
04-12-2014, 12:07 PM

It's like movie popcorn. They could raise ticket prices higher so they can lower beer/popcorn prices. It's not like you can't bring your own beer before the game. People that pay $10/beer deserve to pay $10/beer.

feltdizz
04-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Holy cow!! Only Oakland and St Louis have lower avg attendance than the Steelers. Wonder why they never talk about moving the Steelers to LA. With attendance like the Steelers have, does the NFL really need a team in Pittsburgh? (Asking from the non fan side of my brain)

Pittsburgh is a smal market team in a cold climate...

They will never move.

sick beats
04-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Pittsburgh is a smal market team in a cold climate...

They will never move.

Still. Not quite what you would expect, is it? One of the smallest attendances in the NFL. Everyone goes on and on about 20 year waiting list. I hate half truths. I got season tickets and gave them up. Big deal. I can go to any game I wish. The fakeness about ticket scarcity is really going to get exposed soon.

Slapstick
04-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Still. Not quite what you would expect, is it? One of the smallest attendances in the NFL. Everyone goes on and on about 20 year waiting list. I hate half truths. I got season tickets and gave them up. Big deal. I can go to any game I wish. The fakeness about ticket scarcity is really going to get exposed soon.

There is a HUGE difference between "ticket scarcity" and "season ticket scarcity"...

Anyone can go to any game they want to, provided they are willing to pay...

Not everyone can get season tickets and PSLs...

Oviedo
04-12-2014, 06:27 PM

Because season ticket holders are willing to sell some games because they want to recoup the cost of the season tickets or just don't want to go to every game doesn't make the scarcity of season tickets any less true. Like I said, call up and get on the list for season tickets and tell me when you get them. I really don't get your "fakeness" argument.

The ability to get tickets for a specific game and season tickets is an apples and oranges argument. Because you can get tickets to an individual games doesn't mean there is less demand for season tickets which is where the real control over games exists based on what games the owners are willing to sell. I dare say you can get a game ticket to any game, in any professional sport there is but that is completely different for season tickets.

sick beats
04-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Because season ticket holders are willing to sell some games because they want to recoup the cost of the season tickets or just don't want to go to every game doesn't make the scarcity of season tickets any less true. Like I said, call up and get on the list for season tickets and tell me when you get them. I really don't get your "fakeness" argument.

The ability to get tickets for a specific game and season tickets is an apples and oranges argument. Because you can get tickets to an individual games doesn't mean there is less demand for season tickets which is where the real control over games exists based on what games the owners are willing to sell. I dare say you can get a game ticket to any game, in any professional sport there is but that is completely different for season tickets.

The reason season tickets are scarce is because so many skalpers buy them, too. I usually don't pay much more than face value and sometimes I actually pay less. Any season they don't look play off bound, they practically give them away. I bet you could get free tickets last year. If you really had to wait 20 years to get season tickets, how did I get mine whenever I wanted them?

Slapstick
04-13-2014, 12:34 AM
The reason season tickets are scarce is because so many skalpers buy them, too. I usually don't pay much more than face value and sometimes I actually pay less. Any season they don't look play off bound, they practically give them away. I bet you could get free tickets last year. If you really had to wait 20 years to get season tickets, how did I get mine whenever I wanted them?

Because you didn't get season tickets...

Why is this so difficult?

phillyesq
04-13-2014, 08:56 PM

Going to get exposed by whom?

phillyesq
04-13-2014, 08:58 PM

It's the same in any cold weather climate. People aren't clamoring to pay over face value for a game that doesn't have playoff implications when it's freezing cold. Two years ago (when they had an awful record) I won Eagles tickets at a charity event and had a very tough time literally giving the seats away.

ikestops85
04-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Please tell me how you pay less than face value. I've always paid a premium ... especially if I want to see them play someone decent. I just don't see it unless you buy from a scalper the day of the game.

feltdizz
04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Because you didn't get season tickets...

Why is this so difficult?

LOL... this is a funny response. He keeps talking about game day tickets like they are season tickets.

sick beats
04-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Please tell me how you pay less than face value. I've always paid a premium ... especially if I want to see them play someone decent. I just don't see it unless you buy from a scalper the day of the game.

I do buy from a scalper the day of the game. And, I only pay less than face value when the game details form a weak demand (not a good team, or nice weather). One game, we put a ticket on a windshield, and when we walked by the same car after the game, dozens of other tickets were added.

feltdizz
04-14-2014, 02:20 PM
I do buy from a scalper the day of the game. And, I only pay less than face value when the game details form a weak demand (not a good team, or nice weather). One game, we put a ticket on a windshield, and when we walked by the same car after the game, dozens of other tickets were added.

this really doesn't expose the season ticket wait.

Ghost
04-14-2014, 02:56 PM
I have to be honest - even if I lived in Pgh, I'd stay home for most of the games. Huge, HD screen with the ability to pause, rewind, and watch again. A clean bathroom. No crazy drunk fans screaming obscenities (besides myself...). And beers at Heinz Field are now $9.00. I could get a 6 of Drifter Pale Ale and another of Left Hand Milk Stout for that. Economically, it doesn't make a ton of sense to go to a game. And that's true of every stadium.

Sugar
04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
I have to be honest - even if I lived in Pgh, I'd stay home for most of the games. Huge, HD screen with the ability to pause, rewind, and watch again. A clean bathroom. No crazy drunk fans screaming obscenities (besides myself...). And beers at Heinz Field are now $9.00. I could get a 6 of Drifter Pale Ale and another of Left Hand Milk Stout for that. Economically, it doesn't make a ton of sense to go to a game. And that's true of every stadium.

Add to that the time it takes to get to and from the stadium and the costs associated with parking.

Oviedo
04-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Ditto. The NFL has done such a good job that the experience watch on a HD TV at home IMO beats being at the stadium for all the reasons you mention. The last live Steelers game I was at I found myself looking at the big screens around the stadium more than watching the plays on the field.

papillon
04-15-2014, 08:49 AM
I am now a stay at home fan as well, the comforts of home are too enticing to get me to attend in person. I typically will go to one game a year in person just so that I can say I went. As Ruthless mentioned in a different thread, I think, eat prior to heading out to the game or meet for a tailgate, I don't drink, so they could charge $19.00 for a beer and it wouldn't affect me one way or the other, I can tolerate my one, possibly two trips to the bathroom and since I've eaten before I walk in the stadium I don't pay for poorly cooked over priced food either. We park downtown ($5) and walk, it's a nice walk across the bridge (Fort Duquesne or Clemente) and allows for more time with friends and/or family.

By the way Ghost, I noticed you're a Stout beer fan, you might want to try a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (expensive, but worth it my book). I don't drink any longer, but when I did indulge that was my absolute favorite beer.

Pappy

kindlecatsb'ng
04-15-2014, 09:39 AM
On average, I get home to the 'Burgh for Steeler games 3x/regular game schedule--always December Browns, Bengals and 3rd one depends on my work schedule and who they are playing. I do not drink alcohol there as I generally drive back to home (to OH) and learned from Ruth about the designated driver option so will check that out. They do not have what I want to drink--coffee! We did, however, get free hot chocolate this past winter Bengals night game! :)

Sent off an email to the Steelers' headquarters asking where they are in the season ticket offerings. The reply "we are working on requests from 1995". So, as the older folks in my former neighborhood would say "I will be pushing up the daisies" before mine ever gets around (2009).

Kindle

feltdizz
04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm not skimping on beer, parking, food if I'm only going to 1 game every few years.

I'm a stay at home fan but if I go I'm damn sure going to enjoy myself and make the most of the experience.

papillon
04-15-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm not skimping on beer, parking, food if I'm only going to 1 game every few years.

I'm a stay at home fan but if I go I'm damn sure going to enjoy myself and make the most of the experience.

And, here's the alternate option to us "I would rather stay at home" fans, if you go once a year, live it up, eat, drink and be merry! :p

Pappy

ikestops85
04-15-2014, 10:41 AM
While I agree staying at home and watching on a big screen is more comfortable, cheaper and you don't miss any parts of the game. With that said nothing beats the atmosphere and excitement of watching the black and gold play. Seeing how the fans can pump up the players, turning to the guy next to you, who you don't know and giving him a high five or even a hug after the steelers do something great. That's why you go to the game.

I live in the DC area and my wife and I make the pilgrimage once a year and it is something we both look forward to. We start talking about it as soon as the schedule is announced, see what kind of deal we can get on tickets, and make hotel reservations. It gets to be an expensive trip but we love it. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats going to a night game and they start to play Renegade. It always gives me chills.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats going to a night game and they start to play Renegade. It always gives me chills.

You are so right! It is awesome. Everyone is up on their feet and he noise is deafening.

The very first Steelers game I attended was on the day after Christmas when the Steelers were playing the Ravens. OMG...when Brian Billick and the Ravens came out of the visitors tunnel, I swear that stadium was actually moving.

Kindle

sick beats
04-15-2014, 07:10 PM

That's why I usually go luxury seats or bust. It also comes with a VIP party pass, where they have free drinks, carved roast beef and lamb, etc. Nice spread, and you pay nothing.

sick beats
04-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Both things are true: In some ways staying home actually beats going to a game. But there is nothing like the chills of being there live. I like some of both. But, the older I get, the less the live pros beat the live cons. Fighting traffic, immense expense, drunk idiots, frigid temps (not here but up north) all make me want to attend live less and less. But I understand the awesome spirit you feel at a live game. I don't think anyone who calls themselves a "real fan" can make that claim unless they have been to a live game.

Ghost
04-15-2014, 09:42 PM
I am now a stay at home fan as well, the comforts of home are too enticing to get me to attend in person. I typically will go to one game a year in person just so that I can say I went. As Ruthless mentioned in a different thread, I think, eat prior to heading out to the game or meet for a tailgate, I don't drink, so they could charge $19.00 for a beer and it wouldn't affect me one way or the other, I can tolerate my one, possibly two trips to the bathroom and since I've eaten before I walk in the stadium I don't pay for poorly cooked over priced food either. We park downtown ($5) and walk, it's a nice walk across the bridge (Fort Duquesne or Clemente) and allows for more time with friends and/or family.

By the way Ghost, I noticed you're a Stout beer fan, you might want to try a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (expensive, but worth it my book). I don't drink any longer, but when I did indulge that was my absolute favorite beer.

Pappy

Thanks for the beer tip. I have has The Sam Smith. Here in the south the Highland Oatmeal Porter is quite good as is the Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (also known as Wake and Bake) as well.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Steelers players weigh in on Sterling ban

April, 29, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Several Pittsburgh Steelers applauded the NBA for imposing a lifetime ban on Donald Sterling in the wake of the racist comments the league says the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers made in a recorded conversation.

The controversy, which transcended sports, prompted players such as defensive end Cameron Heyward to express how much they appreciate playing for the Rooney family, which has owned the Steelers since their inception in 1933.

"I’m very blessed and humbled to be part of an organization that values their workers," Heyward said on Tuesday, shortly before NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced the Sterling ban. "It’s just an unfortunate situation with what’s going on out there. A lot of organizations can learn from it and just grow from it."

Steelers left tackle Kelvin Beachum said Silver did the right thing in taking a hard line against Sterling.

"I think it was needed," Beachum said. "What [Sterling] did was not right and was very disappointing. If I was a player for him I would be very disappointed to know that my owner spoke like that, especially being of African-American descent."

When asked if the controversy showed the contrast between Sterling and Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney, Beachum chuckled.

"It’s not even a comparison," the third-year veteran said. "Ever since I’ve known the Rooneys they’ve been cordial. You never hear anything that’s negative in any way. Any man that can come up and shake your hand and talk to you and have a great relationship with you, and you know genuinely that’s how he feels, that’s a great thing. I’ve had that with [Dan Rooney and Steelers president Art Rooney II]."

Dan Rooney is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and he has long been at the forefront of promoting diversity in the NFL. He pushed for a requirement enacted in 2003 that requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate when hiring a general manager or head coach, and it is commonly known as the Rooney Rule.

Veteran wide receiver Lance Moore played the previous nine seasons in New Orleans before signing with the Steelers last month.

He said he is fortunate to have played for an owner like Tom Benson in New Orleans and now for the Rooney family.

“Tom Benson did things the right way. He made sure his players were taken care of, and the players in turn played hard for him,” Moore said. “The Rooneys, from the short time I’ve been here as well as what I’ve heard about them, they are awesome. They are all about their players and their organization and doing things the right way.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/78782/steelers-players-weigh-in-on-sterling-ban