PDA

View Full Version : Cotchery signed now what FA works?

SS Laser
03-20-2014, 05:01 PM
There are still more then a few FA WR's out there. Who do you think is an upgrade? Maybe a Holmes?:D Or a Burleson? How about Miles Austin or Jason Avant? Who will sign cheap and can be a good 2nd, 3rd or even 4th WR? Even guys like Josh Cribbs, Austin Collie, Jacoby ford, and Sidney Rice are UFA. Take a look here for a list: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

8467thekraken
03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Can't remember exactly, but I think Denario Alexander is coming off of a serious injury. Something like a torn ACL?

But if I am wrong, or the injury he is coming back from is less severe, I would shake the tree on that guy.

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Lance Moore

SteelBucks
03-20-2014, 05:39 PM
I say we run the wishbone.

A strength a couple of years ago is now a definite weakness.

D Rock
03-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Kenny Britt is probably the most talented WR available.

sick beats
03-20-2014, 05:48 PM
This is quite surprising, being that the Steeler virtually kept Crotch's career alive. But Carolina is totally desperate for WRs, even worse than us.

sick beats
03-20-2014, 05:57 PM

No way; head case. F that noise.

SteelBucks
03-20-2014, 06:47 PM
No way; head case. F that noise.

Beggers can't be choosers.

Chadman
03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Would look at Devone Bess as a 'veteran' WR. While never 'lighting it up', he's always been a solid pass catcher. Wouldn't be against bringing in Darrius Heyward-Bey as well- looked to improve last season. Worth a cheap flier on him just for his speed. Then draft the REAL new WR this year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-20-2014, 07:41 PM
I find it funny that when our #2 left there was no fuss, like it was expected, but now that our #3 is gone we have become beggars?

pittpete
03-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Devon Bess had some kind of mental issues....
Thats what happens when you go to Cleveland..
I'm serious though.

Slapstick
03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Davone Bess has some stuff going on with him...he went from being Miami's Walter Payton Man of the Year to having a run-in with Cleveland Police and being placed in a mental hospital...

If Sydney Rice is still unsigned after June 1, a possibility coming of his injury, I'd look at him...good #2...about 15 YpC over the last few years....

Bluto
03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Would look at Devone Bess as a 'veteran' WR. While never 'lighting it up', he's always been a solid pass catcher. Wouldn't be against bringing in Darrius Heyward-Bey as well- looked to improve last season. Worth a cheap flier on him just for his speed. Then draft the REAL new WR this year.

Chadman you did see Bess and his off season. Dropping pictures of him smoking the gang and getting into fight with security at airport at lik 7:30 am and causing huge scene as he was hammered on something. No thanks on Bess . Pretty sure he almost leadvleaguevin drops last year also.

Chadman
03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Ok...this appears to be where my lack of proximity to local news is hampering my judgement... :)

Heyward-Bey still could be worth a look.

Slapstick
03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
No, no, Aussies are infamous for poor judgment...;)

Chadman
03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
No, no, Aussies are infamous for poor judgment...;)

Good point...I'm sticking with signing Bess. :p

Holmes too?

Add in Incognito....

Eddie Spaghetti
03-20-2014, 08:02 PM
take a chance on britt, bring him in at least

let tomlin get a sense of him and go from there

BradshawsHairdresser
03-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Terrell Owens is available...:lol:

squidkid
03-20-2014, 09:08 PM

i thought britt has some legal issues pending which might land him in prison

SteelBucks
03-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I find it funny that when our #2 left there was no fuss, like it was expected, but now that our #3 is gone we have become beggars?

Considering that our #1 is the only dependable WR left on the roster......yes

Captain Lemming
03-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Chadman you did see Bess and his off season. Dropping pictures of him smoking the gang.

If you dont like da ganga avoid da mon in dreads (especially a if they spent too many years in Miami)

WILLIAMS

http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/rcs_sidelines/Ricky%20Williams%20Dolphins%20dreads.jpg

BESS

http://www.4downsforfinance.com/wp-content/themes/fourdowns/images/headshot.png

http://www.wallpele.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Bob-Marley-HD-Wallpaper-1024x640.jpg

D Rock
03-20-2014, 10:14 PM

When your #3 outperformed your #2, then becomes your #2, it's a non-issue.

When your #4 becomes your #2 by default, it becomes an issue.

When your # 2-5 WRs have a combined career total of 8 catches...you become beggars and then some.

SteelBucks
03-20-2014, 10:46 PM
When your #3 outperformed your #2, then becomes your #2, it's a non-issue.

When your #4 becomes your #2 by default, it becomes an issue.

When your # 2-5 WRs have a combined career total of 8 catches...you become beggars and then some.

+1........

thor75
03-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I'd wait to see how the draft plays out. None of the FAs available have me drooling.

D Rock
03-20-2014, 11:07 PM
I'd wait to see how the draft plays out. None of the FAs available have me drooling.

Unfortunately...that could take several years...

thor75
03-20-2014, 11:09 PM
some conflicting reports but looks like Cotchery got a 5 yr deal for 8 million with a 2.25 mill signing bonus

thor75
03-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately...that could take several years...

true, but Jared Abbredris from Wisconsin seems like a guy who could come in and contribute as a #3 right away. And if they draft one of the big guys they could help in the red zone hopefully.

Not sold on Meachum, Earl Bennett wants more than we have, and Rice has a lot of injury history. Maybe a 1 yr deal for Rice until the rooks get their experience in. Moore would give us three smallish WRs.

D Rock
03-21-2014, 12:11 AM
true, but Jared Abbredris from Wisconsin seems like a guy who could come in and contribute as a #3 right away. And if they draft one of the big guys they could help in the red zone hopefully.

Not sold on Meachum, Earl Bennett wants more than we have, and Rice has a lot of injury history. Maybe a 1 yr deal for Rice until the rooks get their experience in. Moore would give us three smallish WRs.

That is why I want Britt. Only guy available with size and production history, two things we sorely need.

pittpete
03-21-2014, 12:24 AM
It was reported Heyward Bey had 9 drops last season...
Id pass.
I'd take a chance on Damian Williams from the Titans or Broscoe? from the Skins

NJ-STEELER
03-21-2014, 01:41 AM
3 of the top 4 receives from the 2012 roster gone

Shawn
03-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Would look at Devone Bess as a 'veteran' WR. While never 'lighting it up', he's always been a solid pass catcher. Wouldn't be against bringing in Darrius Heyward-Bey as well- looked to improve last season. Worth a cheap flier on him just for his speed. Then draft the REAL new WR this year. I'm all for kicking the tires on Heyward-Bey. Still young, has speed...worth a look in a new environment.

Ghost
03-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Brown - Wheaton - Burress (bring him back on the cheap - he wants to be a Steeler) - Moye and Jasper Collins out of Mount Union. They're good to possibly great you bunch of chicken littles....

K Train
03-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Heyward Bey could fill the role Washington and Wallace had for us, ben loves a guy to take the top off the defense

Gus
03-21-2014, 01:43 PM
He didn't play last year, but I think it would be a no lose situation to bring Kevin Walter into camp.

steelsnis
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
LeGarrette Blount to visit Steelers soon.

Shawn
03-21-2014, 02:03 PM
LeGarrette Blount to visit Steelers soon. I would love to have Blount. When healthy he is a load.

K Train
03-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Blount has his moments. Sneaky explosive for his size, not the most physical runner though. Offers nothing as a blocker or receiver though, which is ok because bell is a 3 down back

steelsnis
03-21-2014, 02:11 PM
I would love to have Blount. When healthy he is a load.

Agreed. I thought Dwyer found his role here last year as a short yardage guy and a fill-in thumper. Blount can do that and more. Would love this signing.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2014, 02:21 PM
2014 NFL free agency: LeGarrette Blount to visit Pittsburgh Steelers

BY JOSH SANCHEZ

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/legarrette-blount-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-free-agency.jpg?w=600&h=425

LeGarrette Blount joins Maurice Jones-Drew as the Steelers’ targets at running back.

The Pittsburgh Steelers flirted with veteran running back Maurice Jones-Drew during a two-day visit earlier this week but Jones-Drew ultimately left the Steel City without a contract. Now, rather than showing interest in a running back on the decline, the Steelers are expected to visit with one who is coming off his most productive NFL season.

According to the National Football Post, the Steelers will be meeting with New England Patriots free agent LeGarrette Blount on Sunday night

Throughout the first week and a half of the free agency period, Blount has received very little public interest. There are reports the Patriots could still be interested in re-signing him, but first they will need to see what develops with the Pittsburgh visit.

Pittsburgh is looking for a No. 2 running back to serve as a complement Le’Veon Bell, and Blount could certainly fill that roll.

He is the physical style of running back that Steelers fans have been clamoring for. Of course, he will need the Steelers line to improve their game by opening running lanes because Blount hasn’t shown tremendous ability to create his own space.

There are a few other teams believed to have interest in Blount, but the Steelers are the first to show that interest publicly.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/21/2014-nfl-free-agency-legarrette-blount-to-visit-pittsburgh-steelers/

Ernie
03-21-2014, 03:27 PM
From what I have seen of Blount... he could potentially be a "1-A" type of back...

While it would be a great signing, I am doubtful that he ends up with the steelers.

K Train
03-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Monday morning:

Ed Bouchette 1m
Blount leaves #steelers without a deal

lol

SteelerOfDeVille
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Apparently, lance Moore DID work.. Just read 2 year deal