PDA

View Full Version : Seattle signed Jared Allen

feltdizz
03-20-2014, 04:28 PM
smh... sorry.. that's all I got.

papillon
03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
smh... sorry.. that's all I got.

They're trying to make hay before they have to sign Wilson to his $100+ million dollar (more likely $120 million) contract and feel the pain that teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Saints, Packers, etc have been feeling for years. Signing that quarterback is a game changer for the front office.

Pappy

feltdizz
03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Retracted...

I wish I linked to the espn article. They said he signed but new reports said Allen is waiting until the weekend to make a decision.

Captain Lemming
03-20-2014, 09:36 PM
They're trying to make hay before they have to sign Wilson to his $100+ million dollar (more likely $120 million) contract and feel the pain that teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Saints, Packers, etc have been feeling for years. Signing that quarterback is a game changer for the front office.

Pappy

Yup, with this crop of fast starter QBs they have an unfair advantage.

Then again........maybe we underestimate this as factoring into the advantage WE had early in Bens career.
We might have started the trend without knowing it.

skyhawk
03-21-2014, 02:32 AM
Seattle probably could have won the SB without Wilson, as good as he is.

The Steelers would have won neither SB 40 or 43 without Ben. THAT, is the difference. Of course, each SB winner's respective competition that year is a major factor in being able to win it all. As are injuries (preaching to the choir to most here on the board).

But man, I live in Seattle, and as Pap mentioned, I can't wait til they start running out of money once they have to pay up for Russell.

feltdizz
03-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Yup, with this crop of fast starter QBs they have an unfair advantage.

Then again........maybe we underestimate this as factoring into the advantage WE had early in Bens career.
We might have started the trend without knowing it.

we definitely started the trend. It was common for rookie QB's to play early on bad teams but it was unheard of to start a rookie on a solid team even if the vet QB was trash.

We used to argue all the time if Ben made the team or if the team made Ben. It's a little of both...

feltdizz
03-21-2014, 08:44 AM

The Steelers would have won neither SB 40 or 43 without Ben. THAT, is the difference. Of course, each SB winner's respective competition that year is a major factor in being able to win it all. As are injuries (preaching to the choir to most here on the board).

But man, I live in Seattle, and as Pap mentioned, I can't wait til they start running out of money once they have to pay up for Russell.

Nope... I know you underlined probably but hell to the no.

Russell Wilson is special... some guys have IT and he is one of them. Everywhere he has played he has willed his team to win games that should have been losses.

watching Ben on Dynasty Week last night when he was mic'd up was awesome... his sideline leadership is amazing. Watch Russell Wilson and you see the same thing. Some people have that ability to get everyone to believe in them and both of these guys are built the same way.

steelblood
03-21-2014, 03:37 PM

No offense, but any number of QBs could have won SB 40. Geez, that was not an impressive game. Now, we could not have gotten their without Ben. He was awesome in the three previous games, especially Denver.

feltdizz
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
No offense, but any number of QBs could have won SB 40. Geez, that was not an impressive game. Now, we could not have gotten their without Ben. He was awesome in the three previous games, especially Denver.

I think that's what he meant... and it's true. We don't get to 40 without Ben.

I think the same is true when you watch Russell Wilson extend plays and play ugly for 30 minutes but pull out a victory on a final drive. The kid is 15-1 at home or some insane number.

I don't like hearing people say "they could've won with any QB" because they aren't winning every other year with any other QB. This even goes for Dilfer and the other QB for the Bucs. While they aren't MVP ballers they still made the throws when needed and if it was that easy those teams would do it every other year with average QB's.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Nope... I know you underlined probably but hell to the no.

Russell Wilson is special... some guys have IT and he is one of them. Everywhere he has played he has willed his team to win games that should have been losses.

watching Ben on Dynasty Week last night when he was mic'd up was awesome... his sideline leadership is amazing. Watch Russell Wilson and you see the same thing. Some people have that ability to get everyone to believe in them and both of these guys are built the same way.

I think this is the only time that I have ever seen the words "both of these guys are built the same way" used to describe the 6'5" 241 lbs. Ben Roethlisberger and the 5'11" 206 lbs. Russell Wilson and have it make sense. ;)

Captain Lemming
03-21-2014, 08:44 PM

But here is the flaw. Compare "BOTH" on playoffs alone as you did Ben or judge BOTH on the SB as you have Wilson.

You say "anybody could have won that Superbowl" in regards to Wilson. Likely true.
But judging Ben by THAT SAME STANDARD any other QB CRUSHES the Seahawks in the first SB.
Then we focus of Bens playoff and AVOID the superbowl talking about Ben.
Question is "do the Seahawks "make the SB" without Wilson? Wilson threw for modest yards but threw ZERO picks through the entire playoff. ONE PICK against San Fran and they LOSE the game.

Apples for apples comparison:

Wilson in three Postseason games:
3 tds, higher QB rating, Zero picks, his best game in the SB

Ben in last three playoff games:
4 TDs, lower rating 3 picks, his worst game in the SB

Any QB could have won either SB. The difference?
We won DESPITE Bens horrific play in the game. Any QB could have won
Wilson's fine game overshadowed by a RIDICULOUS Seahawk defensive effort. Any QB could have won.

I agree with Dizz, Wilson has the same "it" quality as Ben.

In fact, Wilson's criticisms MIRROR that of young Ben.

We talk about Manning with a gazzilion yards but rip him for playoff chokes. Ben is "clutch" which he was in many playoffs and the SECOND SB but is less "prolific".

But you cannot tell me Ben had a better 1st SB playoff than Wilson when he struggled mightily in the biggest game.

skyhawk
03-22-2014, 07:26 PM
You gotta give the Seahawks some credit for slowing Ben in the Super Bowl (either by playing well or just flat out bringing Ben down to the Seahawks level of competition). Ben did what he was asked to do under a Cowher game plan. Wilson didn't have to do DIDDLY (out of the ordinary - still a solid game against a totally inept Denver team) either with the way the hawks dominated the Broncos.

skyhawk
03-22-2014, 07:30 PM
And horrific play in the SB? I didn't think so. I am not a stat guy, I am a mojo guy (and yes, Wilson's got the mojo!) but Ben made quite a few key plays in SB XL.

The Steelers really didn't play all that well and the Seahawks STILL lost. And I really think the poor game by the seahawks really turned that SB to a real mess. I thought they brought the Steelers and Ben's ability to play well way down (playing to the level of competition).

Captain Lemming
03-22-2014, 09:07 PM
You gotta give the Seahawks some credit for slowing Ben in the Super Bowl (either by playing well or just flat out bringing Ben down to the Seahawks level of competition). Ben did what he was asked to do under a Cowher game plan. Wilson didn't have to do DIDDLY (out of the ordinary - still a solid game against a totally inept Denver team) either with the way the hawks dominated the Broncos.

You are blaming Cowhers game plan? Really?
Ben was lights out using Cowhers game plan through the rest of that playoff. Never better under any coach since then.
You don't like stats? At some point you cannot ignore them. He had the worst game of the season.

9 of 22 0 TDs 2 interceptions 122 yards. Ben was choking mightily. Still his worst playoff game ever.

ARE threw the best pass of the day, and Willies record run overcame Bens pure ineptness that day.
Add that we held the hawks (the highest scoring offense in the league) to 10.

Ben deserve credit for getting us to the SB, an achievement given his youth, but he was carried through that final game more than any SB QB in history. That the rest of the team could overcome his play that day was amazing.

Captain Lemming
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
And horrific play in the SB? I didn't think so. I am not a stat guy, I am a mojo guy (and yes, Wilson's got the mojo!) but Ben made quite a few key plays in SB XL.

The Steelers really didn't play all that well and the Seahawks STILL lost. And I really think the poor game by the seahawks really turned that SB to a real mess. I thought they brought the Steelers and Ben's ability to play well way down (playing to the level of competition).

Soooo, your point is that the hawks were SO BAD Ben could not help but play bad too? You really believe that?

Wow then Wilson gets major props for NOT letting the Broncs make his game tank like Ben did.

You say Ben made plays? Every QB in every game makes plays. Ben made few good plays and way more bad ones. NOD made more plays and frankly was better against a dynasty with a real defense in the SB as bad as he was. He wins a landslide given Seattles pathetic performance.

Not only was Wilson WORLDS better than Ben in the first SB, every other winning SB QB was better. By any conceivable standard, Bens first Super Bowl was the worst ever by a winning QB.

Not hatin, just facts.
But he was young. It was impressive that he got there at all.

He was big time clutch in the second one.

I know being in Seattle and all with the Steeler hate you wind up defending the Steelers all the time.

But you are trying too hard on this one.

I ain't even saying Wilson was great. But he was very good that day. Sure he could have thrown a pick or two and still won. He could have played like Ben did in his SB and still won. But he played better, which is why they did more than win, the game was a joke.

Only Black and Gold bias can make one think Ben was half as good as Wilson was in their first SBs.

skyhawk
03-23-2014, 02:19 AM
I agree with you Captain all except I don't think Ben played as putrid as you and some claim. He had three clutch third down throws and a TD run. I am ok with it. Worst EVER in a super bowl? I think not.

Wilson has yet to have the chance to step up and make the big throws in crunch time. Doesn't mean he can't. I'm excited to watch him play in the future.

feltdizz
03-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I agree with you Captain all except I don't think Ben played as putrid as you and some claim. He had three clutch third down throws and a TD run. I am ok with it. Worst EVER in a super bowl? I think not.

Wilson has yet to have the chance to step up and make the big throws in crunch time. Doesn't mean he can't. I'm excited to watch him play in the future.

What the hell are you talking about? He is 15-1 at home. Most wins by a QB in the first 2 years.

His first year in the playoffs he lead his team back to take the lead in 2 games. They beat the Readskins in Washington when down 24-14. He led them back in ATL before losing on a last second FG.

He also has:

Game winning pass on last play vs Patriots 2 years ago

Game winning pass vs GB on last play 2 years ago

TD pass vs SF on 4th down and in this years playoffs.

Clutch 3rd down deep pass vs Saints to seal the game.