PDA

View Full Version : Warren and Wallace sign

Bluto
03-12-2014, 12:35 PM
acording to the local paper andKFFL are reporting LS Warren and back up Cody Wallace have agreed to new contracts. Wallace is a 3 year deal money not mentioned. Thought he played well at the end of the season. Guess Wallace will be our new back up to Pouncey.

Sugar
03-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Solid signings. These aren't the sexy headlines that grab everyone's attention, but important nonetheless.

Shawn
03-12-2014, 02:47 PM
SB here we come! Sorry...if I didn't someone else would.

sick beats
03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I really thought Cody Wallace played better than Pouncey and am glad they signed him. Pouncey is soooo overrated.

Shawn
03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
I really thought Cody Wallace played better than Pouncey and am glad they signed him. Pouncey is soooo overrated. Yeah that isn't true.

phillyesq
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
I really thought Cody Wallace played better than Pouncey and am glad they signed him. Pouncey is soooo overrated.

Sarcasm, I hope, right?

In any event, solid moves.

K Train
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM

this hurts my brain.

Pouncey might be slightly overrated, has been for several years but hes still a top 10 center. Hes probably better at G, he has frail ankles and that would take stress off of them and he has a relatively thin lower body which makes it tougher to anchor.

You can only be overrated or underrated for so long before you get rated just fine.

Wallace is a tough guy though, hes an excellent swing backup i think

sick beats
03-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Yeah that isn't true.

Have you actually WATCHED Pouncey play or do you just assume he is so great? He was getting thrown around like a rag doll before - again - he was out for the entire season.

sick beats
03-12-2014, 03:59 PM
this hurts my brain.

Pouncey might be slightly overrated, has been for several years but hes still a top 10 center. Hes probably better at G, he has frail ankles and that would take stress off of them and he has a relatively thin lower body which makes it tougher to anchor.

You can only be overrated or underrated for so long before you get rated just fine.

Wallace is a tough guy though, hes an excellent swing backup i think

For the reasons you mentioned, he is limited. And I like Cody's nasty streak better than Pouncey's thug vibe (Best friends with Aaron Hernandez). Cody just lines up and fights you. He doesn't need tribal tattoos to look tough. Pouncy has been overrated and ASSUMED good from the start because:

1.) He was drafted by the Steelers in the first round. (Everyone assumes that means you are good).
2.) He plays center for the Pittsburgh Steelers (Long tradition of fine center play - Webster, Dirt, Hartings.)
3.) He had a good start of his career, so everyone assumes he continued to develop but I am not so sure he did.)

If you WATCH him play, you will see he get run over and tossed around like a rag doll much of the time. The reason people think he is good, is when he get off the first wave on the DL, he is good at running LBs over. But that is not the norm. Watch him actually play and you will see the former happens more than the latter. I rarely saw Wallace get tossed around like he was on ice wearing ice skates.

Oviedo
03-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Have you actually WATCHED Pouncey play or do you just assume he is so great? He was getting thrown around like a rag doll before - again - he was out for the entire season.

I said when we drafted Pouncey he was not a power blocker and that has proven true since he comes into the league. You could see in college how big DTs could easily overpower him. He is best when he is moving which is hopefully what he can do in the ZBS we expect Munchak to implement.

The problem we have with with Pouncey is that he is in fact a Top 10-12 Center in the NFL but he will be asking for Top 1 or 2 Center pay on his next contract because of the hype he has gotten since he came into the league. That is why he think he ends up with his bro' in Miami. Besides we know that Miami won't hesitate to overpay for an overrated Pittsburgh player don't we?

K Train
03-12-2014, 04:06 PM
For the reasons you mentioned, he is limited. And I like Cody's nasty streak better than Pouncey's thug vibe (Best friends with Aaron Hernandez). Cody just lines up and fights you. He doesn't need tribal tattoos to look tough. Pouncy has been overrated and ASSUMED good from the start because:

1.) He was drafted by the Steelers in the first round. (Everyone assumes that means you are good).
2.) He plays center for the Pittsburgh Steelers (Long tradition of fine center play - Webster, Dirt, Hartings.)
3.) He had a good start of his career, so everyone assumes he continued to develop but I am not so sure he did.)

If you WATCH him play, you will see he get run over and tossed around like a rag doll much of the time. The reason people think he is good, is when he get off the first wave on the DL, he is good at running LBs over. But that is not the norm. Watch him actually play and you will see the former happens more than the latter. I rarely saw Wallace get tossed around like he was on ice wearing ice skates.
Sounds more personal about pouncey than play, but ill bite:

Well thats just not true. Ask Evander Hood, ive loathed him since day one but hes become (and for good reason) a whipping boy on the defensive side of the ball and is a big time bust

He played center just fine, i was very excited to see him in Bicknells system. You are right hes terrific at the second level, which is why ive been a long time fan of moving him to guard. But this statement isnt really true, you can ask Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig if the fans ever made them feel better than they really were

I would give you this, but that doesnt mean hes a worse player than he was.

I am glad they plan on keeping pouncey another year, I think hes a great player...not the best center in the league but one hell of an athlete for an interior oline. Ideally id play him at LG, that should have been his spot since day one given his thin lower body but when you have Justin Hartwig to beat out you do it with ease

I like Wallace, glad they brought him back...if pouncey commands top dollar next year they have some insurance at the position

Shawn
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Have you actually WATCHED Pouncey play or do you just assume he is so great? He was getting thrown around like a rag doll before - again - he was out for the entire season. Again not true. Yes, I watch Pouncey play.

8467thekraken
03-12-2014, 06:25 PM
To me, it seems like Pouncey may not be a good fit in Pittsburgh. That Hernandez thing really turned me off of him. If Wallace can provide the same production or better, I don't want Pittsburgh to use that money on Pouncey.

His play was never jaw dropping to me. Getting rid of Pouncey is a good move cap-wise and for team morale/chemistry.

I mean, I can't be the only one who was turned off by the Hernandez crap.

sick beats
03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Sounds more personal about pouncey than play, but ill bite:

Personal? No dude. The only thing I take personally is if a player doesn't help my favorite team win as much as he should. And just like the Steelers themselves, if a player is a bad apple, that IS part of his total evaluation, and, granted, if a player is exceptional in the game, he gets a longer leash on off field/personality issues. The team operates that way and I think most of us fans are the same way: If a player helps us win rings, we give them more slack, but not endless. Holmes endless hippie lettuce FAILs is an example to eventually just too much bad off field news. (Plus, it didn't help that it occurred during Ben's horrid PR stints. That was a big part of dumping Holmes in my opinion. Rooneys felt they were on a PR mess and had to stop the bleeding.)

Well thats just not true. Ask Evander Hood, ive loathed him since day one but hes become (and for good reason) a whipping boy on the defensive side of the ball and is a big time bust

Of course being a first round for the Steelers doesn't mean you are infallible forever regardless of play, but you have to admit, being a Pgh first rounder gives you some street cred originally. But you can't ride those coat tails forever. Of course, if you don't produce, eventually you are found out. Of course. But how many times have you read or heard something like, "If you are a first round pick of the Steelers, you are probably good, because the Steelers have shown they know what they are doing when it comes to the draft." I have heard it plenty.

He played center just fine, i was very excited to see him in Bicknells system. You are right hes terrific at the second level, which is why ive been a long time fan of moving him to guard. But this statement isnt really true, you can ask Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig if the fans ever made them feel better than they really were

Yea, but Hartwig and Mahan were not high Steeler draft picks; they were known ham and eggers, and as such, would not have the typical Steelers center reps. Different animal.

I would give you this, but that doesnt mean hes a worse player than he was.

I am going to be honest: Do I think he got worse? I really can't say. But I don't recall seeing him getting manhandled like a rag doll as a rookie as much. I know what I saw last year before he got hurt and was surprised he was thrown around by DTs so much.

I am glad they plan on keeping pouncey another year, I think hes a great player...not the best center in the league but one hell of an athlete for an interior oline. Ideally id play him at LG, that should have been his spot since day one given his thin lower body but when you have Justin Hartwig to beat out you do it with ease

I am not bitching they brought him back, but I am just saying it seems his perceived ranking is higher than reality would dictate. Wallace looked good out there. Pouncey looked good and then bad; not really consistent.

I like Wallace, glad they brought him back...if pouncey commands top dollar next year they have some insurance at the position

I liked the other guy too. As long as one was brought back, I am happy. This is a big year for Pouncey. He could position himself for a giant new deal, or for a very mid-level deal. If he doesn't blow up big time, I hope they don't give him a premium OC deal, as he doesn't deserve it. I am not sure if he is even better than his brother.

sick beats
03-12-2014, 06:59 PM
To me, it seems like Pouncey may not be a good fit in Pittsburgh. That Hernandez thing really turned me off of him. If Wallace can provide the same production or better, I don't want Pittsburgh to use that money on Pouncey.

His play was never jaw dropping to me. Getting rid of Pouncey is a good move cap-wise and for team morale/chemistry.

I mean, I can't be the only one who was turned off by the Hernandez crap.

No, you aren't. I just don't understand the mentality of "He is my boy, so nothing he does should put him in jail." That is one F'd up way to think. "Free Hernandez?" He should be allowed to murder people? I have stuck with more than 1 friend who ended up serving time, but they didn't kill anyone and were still good people even though they got in some trouble. But that is not the same thing as this.

birtikidis
03-12-2014, 08:49 PM

and this is why most people say that Pouncey isn't good. even though he is arguably the best center in the NFL. The second statement shows you just how little some people know about the game.

thor75
03-12-2014, 08:49 PM
A couple good signings, now lets add Cotchery to this headline.

birtikidis
03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Personal? No dude. The only thing I take personally is if a player doesn't help my favorite team win as much as he should. And just like the Steelers themselves, if a player is a bad apple, that IS part of his total evaluation, and, granted, if a player is exceptional in the game, he gets a longer leash on off field/personality issues. The team operates that way and I think most of us fans are the same way: If a player helps us win rings, we give them more slack, but not endless. Holmes endless hippie lettuce FAILs is an example to eventually just too much bad off field news. (Plus, it didn't help that it occurred during Ben's horrid PR stints. That was a big part of dumping Holmes in my opinion. Rooneys felt they were on a PR mess and had to stop the bleeding.)

Of course being a first round for the Steelers doesn't mean you are infallible forever regardless of play, but you have to admit, being a Pgh first rounder gives you some street cred originally. But you can't ride those coat tails forever. Of course, if you don't produce, eventually you are found out. Of course. But how many times have you read or heard something like, "If you are a first round pick of the Steelers, you are probably good, because the Steelers have shown they know what they are doing when it comes to the draft." I have heard it plenty.

Yea, but Hartwig and Mahan were not high Steeler draft picks; they were known ham and eggers, and as such, would not have the typical Steelers center reps. Different animal.

I am going to be honest: Do I think he got worse? I really can't say. But I don't recall seeing him getting manhandled like a rag doll as a rookie as much. I know what I saw last year before he got hurt and was surprised he was thrown around by DTs so much. what was that 8 plays into the season? The only manhandling he got was from Decastro

I am not bitching they brought him back, but I am just saying it seems his perceived ranking is higher than reality would dictate. Wallace looked good out there. Pouncey looked good and then bad; not really consistent.

I liked the other guy too. As long as one was brought back, I am happy. This is a big year for Pouncey. He could position himself for a giant new deal, or for a very mid-level deal. If he doesn't blow up big time, I hope they don't give him a premium OC deal, as he doesn't deserve it. I am not sure if he is even better than his brother.
I only had to answer to one of those quotes. Seriously man.

fordfixer
03-12-2014, 10:01 PM
I think this is the first positive thing I have seen you say about the Steelers or one of the player's... Well done

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Slightly surprised that they valued Cody Wallace over Fernando Velasco (particularly with Velasco's connection to Munchak back in Tennessee).

BradshawsHairdresser
03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Slightly surprised that they valued Cody Wallace over Fernando Velasco (particularly with Velasco's connection to Munchak back in Tennessee).
Maybe Velasco wanted more money.

thor75
03-12-2014, 11:06 PM

Maybe that is exactly the reason. Maybe Munchak was not in favor of Velasco. What he did here last year would make me think otherwise, but we'll never know I guess.

Slapstick
03-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Velasco was put on IR on November 30th...that is only 3 1/2 months ago...there is no way he will be recovered in time for OTAs...he may be available for the season, but nobody will be in a rush to sign him...

papillon
03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Can anyone provide a link or embed some video of Maurkice Pouncey getting tossed around like a rag doll? Or even footage of him playing really poorly or at some level that is having many posters believe that he is severely overrated?

I don't follow O-line play that closely and even if I did I wouldn't be able to tell if he's doing his job, failing at his job or average at his job. Even plays where it appears that a lineman makes a mistake there's always someone who actually played offensive line saying, "It wasn't his fault, because he had to slide and pick up a blown assignment by so-and-so."

Last year is a wash, he played 8 snaps, the year before I don't recall thinking to myself, "man, Pouncey is really sucking it up out there."

Pappy

K Train
03-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Can anyone provide a link or embed some video of Maurkice Pouncey getting tossed around like a rag doll? Or even footage of him playing really poorly or at some level that is having many posters believe that he is severely overrated?

Last year is a wash, he played 8 snaps, the year before I don't recall thinking to myself, "man, Pouncey is really sucking it up out there."

Pappy
Hes a very sound player, hes never been tossed around. Hes had shaky games like...everyone.

But hes also tossed around his fair share of top end DTs

papillon
03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Hes a very sound player, hes never been tossed around. Hes had shaky games like...everyone.

But hes also tossed around his fair share of top end DTs

That's my impression of him, just based on the watching Mahan and Hartwig (I think) and then seeing some improvement once Pouncey was drafted. I think, because, the offense appeared to not miss a beat without Pouncey that many fans are thinking he's easily replaceable, but what we don't know is how good the offense may have been WITH him last year.

Pappy

K Train
03-13-2014, 09:44 AM
That's my impression of him, just based on the watching Mahan and Hartwig (I think) and then seeing some improvement once Pouncey was drafted. I think, because, the offense appeared to not miss a beat without Pouncey that many fans are thinking he's easily replaceable, but what we don't know is how good the offense may have been WITH him last year.

Pappy
They would have been better without a doubt. Haleys offense is a big reason why they appeared to not miss a beat, which is a good thing. Ben stayed as healthy as hes ever been because he was getting rid of the ball quickly and severely cut down on hits he was taken, not because our all pro center wasnt there lol

Sugar
03-13-2014, 10:01 AM

I don't follow O-line play that closely and even if I did I wouldn't be able to tell if he's doing his job, failing at his job or average at his job. Even plays where it appears that a lineman makes a mistake there's always someone who actually played offensive line saying, "It wasn't his fault, because he had to slide and pick up a blown assignment by so-and-so."

Pappy

I don't watch lineman as much either. Some guys get voted into the Pro-Bowl on reputation, but has he been around long enough to have that kind of rep? Additionally, his teammates voted him as a captain. It seems to me that a guy that wasn't legit to them wouldn't have their support like that. Add to that, ex-player, media types like Tunch and Wolf seem to be very high on him and they've probably forgotten more than most fans will ever know about OL play.

My understanding is that he is more than just dangerous at the point of attack, but also at the next level. He can get upfield and make plays when he needs to.

Oviedo
03-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Pappy

Well usually when the OL "doesn't miss a beat" and actually improves as the season goes that usually DOES MEAN a player is probably replaceable.

Sugar
03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Well usually when the OL "doesn't miss a beat" and actually improves as the season goes that usually DOES MEAN a player is probably replaceable.

They actually did "miss a beat" though. They were able to recover, but had to scrap much of the work that they'd done on the ZBS over the offseason to get Velasco (then Wallace) up to speed. We also don't know what kind of plays they weren't able to use because the replacements weren't as good at the second level as Pouncey.

The various commentators on Steelers.com, while thankful for what Velasco and Wallace did, also made a lot about how Pouncey was missed this year.

K Train
03-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Very true...ive said all along that wallace and velacso played very admirably, but pouncey is a guy they were building around and the scheme was perfect fit for him to move laterally and get down field

Oviedo
03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
They actually did "miss a beat" though. They were able to recover, but had to scrap much of the work that they'd done on the ZBS over the offseason to get Velasco (then Wallace) up to speed. We also don't know what kind of plays they weren't able to use because the replacements weren't as good at the second level as Pouncey.

The various commentators on Steelers.com, while thankful for what Velasco and Wallace did, also made a lot about how Pouncey was missed this year.

We'll see this season, but long term it won't make a difference because IMO it is unlikely they can retain Pouncey.

papillon
03-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Yes, but at what cost? Could the offense have been better? stay the same? regress? We don't know, what we don't know.

Pappy