PDA

View Full Version : Colbert & Tomlin at Michigan St Pro Day Scouting Darqueze Dennard?

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
An added benefit to Ike Taylor returning

March, 11, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/4583.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1125/sn_a_dennar_b1_65.jpg

PITTSBURGH -- Ike Taylor returning for one more season provides some stability at a position where the Pittsburgh Steelers are perilously thin.

It also provides the perfect opportunity for the Steelers to draft two cornerbacks, something they did in 2011 with mixed results, and turn them into Taylor’s shadows.

Among the many things Taylor can teach rookie cornerbacks is how to be a professional. Aside from maybe wide receiver Antonio Brown, no one in the Steelers’ locker room works harder than Taylor.

He is in terrific shape, and his maniacal work ethic is a main reason why Taylor’s play has slipped a little with age but not fallen off dramatically as is often the case for players who are pushing 34.

Taylor returning to the Steelers in 2014 does nothing to minimize their long-term need at cornerback, which is why they have to draft two of them.

The bigger question is whether this is the year the Steelers finally use a first-round pick on a cornerback, something they haven’t done since 1997 when they took Chad Scott with the 24th overall selection.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin are at Michigan State's pro day today, according to the Detroit Free Press, and their presence will further fuel speculation that the organization will target Darqueze Dennard with its first-round pick.

Dennard and Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert are widely considered the top cornerbacks in what is a deep draft at the position.

A consensus All-American in 2013, Dennard is a physical cornerback who can provide run support as well as stick to opposing wide receivers. He didn’t run a great 40-yard dash time (4.51 seconds) at the NFL scouting combine last month, but his time didn’t raise any red flags either.

Dennard, who broke up 14 passes and made four interceptions in helping the Spartans win the Big Ten in 2013, is the 18th-best player in the draft, according to ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr.

Here is what Kiper wrote about Dennard:

"He's the most versatile defensive back in the draft, with proven skill in any area of coverage. Dennard can play up and redirect routes or off in zone and make plays in front of him. He'll blanket even really good receivers in man-to-man, and he turns his head well to avoid penalties that could be called were he not to show ball awareness, given how tightly he can play in coverage. It's all there."

Whether the Steelers take Dennard or another cornerback in the first round remains to be seen. They have generally waited until the middle rounds to draft cornerbacks, something they did with the three veteran ones on their roster.

Taylor and Cortez Allen were fourth-round picks, and William Gay was a fifth-round selection.

No matter where the Steelers draft cornerbacks this year, those players will have no better mentor than Taylor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/78211/an-added-benefit-to-ike-taylor-returning

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I also believe that this is the year that Cortez makes a big jump. He is entering his fourth year and has shown promise.

sick beats
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
My guess is they take Dennard if he is there. That way, they can allow for the Dick Leboo process of loathing to start a rookie their first season. Dennard is the pick. Best fit. Makes most sense.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
ugh... we got what, 6 more weeks...

Oviedo
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
He is entering his fourth year and has shown promise.

Which means we have a big contract decision to make on Cortez after this season. Could be same situation as Lewis...comes into his own in fourth season and wnats big payday. Hopefully we don't let him walk too.

I can see us taking two CBs this draft and taking Dennard at #15.

K Train
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
The are ALWAYS at Mich st

I would not mind dennard at 15 at all, ive said a lot id prefer gilbert but dennard could definitely be their guy

Slapstick
03-11-2014, 06:08 PM
If Cortez plays well and the Steelers draft Dennard #1, there is no big decision...Dennard would be playing on a rookie contract and Ike will be off the books...you keep Allen, period.

pittpete
03-11-2014, 07:19 PM

I know bro, it's killing me...

D Rock
03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
please please please extend Cortez this offseason if he looks good in preseason games

and absolutely draft Dennard unless a guy like Mike Evans is available

steelz09
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
I'd be good with Dennard as the pick or Gilbert. We need to rebuild that secondary.

FS is covered and Thomas is likely the future SS. CB is the missing link.

D Rock
03-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Dennard can be a lock down guy. Watch this video...only maybe 3 throws he was ever more than 1 yard from the receiver. I've made my determination - he is my guy if he is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qv3NFwZkE

Rara
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Mike Prisuta ‏@DVEMike 17m
Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin at Michigan State Pro Day today. I'm hearing No. 15 overall is probably a little too high for CB Darqueze Dennard

This would set up for us to do a trade down...I'd be fine with it.

Slapstick
03-12-2014, 06:14 AM
In a deep draft, nobody would want to trade up...

If he's the pick at #15, I'm fine with it...

Oviedo
03-12-2014, 08:53 AM
In a deep draft, nobody would want to trade up...

If he's the pick at #15, I'm fine with it...

I agree, this is a deep draft and no one is going to be looking to go up to get a player unless it a QB who is falling which is unlikley. IMO we will have to make a pick at #15. My candidates are: Ebron, Dennard and Hageman. Any of those three would make me happy.

NW Steeler
03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Dennard can be a lock down guy. Watch this video...only maybe 3 throws he was ever more than 1 yard from the receiver. I've made my determination - he is my guy if he is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qv3NFwZkE

To my very amateur eye it looked like he was beat quite a bit in the ND game, but the throws by the QB were off. No?

steelblood
03-12-2014, 12:08 PM

more like 8.

steelblood
03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I like Dennard. But not at 15.

K Train
03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
15 is great value for the #1/#2 CB (depending who you ask, i have him solidly in the 2 slot)

ikestops85
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
To my very amateur eye it looked like he was beat quite a bit in the ND game, but the throws by the QB were off. No?

I don't think I saw the ND game but the ones I did see I was impressed by his ball awareness. Even on deep throws he had a knack for playing the ball ... not running into the receiver like our CBs tend to do. He would get his head around at the right time and get his hand in between the receivers hands. I was extremely impressed with his coverage skills. What I couldn't tell was how well he would play in our hang back zone. He seems to be a more man to man smother type of corner.

Slapstick
03-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Unless he was the reason that the throws were off...

steelz09
03-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I don't think I saw the ND game but the ones I did see I was impressed by his ball awareness. Even on deep throws he had a knack for playing the ball ... not running into the receiver like our CBs tend to do. He would get his head around at the right time and get his hand in between the receivers hands. I was extremely impressed with his coverage skills. What I couldn't tell was how well he would play in our hang back zone. He seems to be a more man to man smother type of corner.

For the love of god, I'd love to have a CB on this team that turns their head, track the ball and intercept a pass without it being a fluke. You watch some guys and it's like a WR playing the CB position. I would love to have one of those on the Steelers roster.

K Train
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
For the love of god, I'd love to have a CB on this team that turns their head, track the ball and intercept a pass without it being a fluke. You watch some guys and it's like a WR playing the CB position. I would love to have one of those on the Steelers roster.

Thats what you get with both Dennard and Gilbert

Shawn
03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qv3NFwZkE It's because you are a smart guy. If you want a DB who is a literal shadow, a guy who has true potential to be a lock down DB on an island...well this is your guy.

Shawn
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
15 is great value for the #1/#2 CB (depending who you ask, i have him solidly in the 2 slot) I believe he has elite #1 ceiling.

K Train
03-12-2014, 03:05 PM
I believe he has elite #1 ceiling.

Its tough, so did Morrid Claiborne and hes been nothing short of a bust.

But I would say Dennard to me could definitely be in the Leon Hall range as a CB...around about a top 10-15 CB, which is perfectly fine as a #15 overall pick, that is a quality player.

Gilbert has elite physical ability, return skills, and ball skills. Dennard has the elite technique and brian for understanding how to not get beat on both inside and outside technique, he can stay on a WRs hip.

Gilbert is more of zone CB, can run with anyone but isnt afraid to jump the ball and take chances. Really its what you prefer when watching these guys

Gilbert i like because of excellent return ability and he has FS potential if he busts at CB, which is scary to me when taking a CB in the first round, not an easy position to play by any means

Shawn
03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Its tough, so did Morrid Claiborne and hes been nothing short of a bust.

But I would say Dennard to me could definitely be in the Leon Hall range as a CB...around about a top 10-15 CB, which is perfectly fine as a #15 overall pick, that is a quality player.

Gilbert has elite physical ability, return skills, and ball skills. Dennard has the elite technique and brian for understanding how to not get beat on both inside and outside technique, he can stay on a WRs hip.

Gilbert is more of zone CB, can run with anyone but isnt afraid to jump the ball and take chances. Really its what you prefer when watching these guys

Gilbert i like because of excellent return ability and he has FS potential if he busts at CB, which is scary to me when taking a CB in the first round, not an easy position to play by any means
Leon Hall is a fair comparison. I believe Dennard is going to be a really good pro DB...Gilbert probably will be as well.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2014, 02:31 AM
—The Pittsburgh Steelers were all over the Michigan State pro day, and you can easily connect the dots there to cornerback Darqueze Dennard. Both head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert attended. With the No. 15 overall pick in the draft, the Steelers are in range to land the aggressive cornerback.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1991459-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-first-week-of-free-agency

Shawn
03-14-2014, 05:17 AM
It really depends on who the Lions take. If they take Dennard, the Steelers roll with Gilbert...and vice versa.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2014, 08:23 PM
2014 Pro Days: Michigan State CB Dennard shows explosiveness

By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
March 11, 2014

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img24478249.jpg

Darqueze Dennard again shows an NFL-ready set of skills.

Darqueze Dennard cannot beat Justin Gilbert in a footrace, but he is closer to the total package as an NFL cornerback than Oklahoma State's flashy and fast cover man.

Dennard starred at Michigan State as a lockdown cornerback. He is knocked for what scouts term "tight hips" and ankles, which limit his suddeness and agility, especially when turning to run and accelerate at the top of a route. In scouting terms, he is not a twitchy athlete. Gilbert could define that term. He has straight-line speed to spare -- witness his 4.37 TV time at the NFL Scouting Combine -- and moves with ease in all directions despite very good size.

Dennard is nicked for being too grabby in the man-press scheme he starred in at Michigan State. But he is a rare commodity for NFL scouts -- a ready-made cover man with proven ability in this type of bump coverage.

Tuesday, Dennard added to his resume with a workout that displayed he has more than adequate short-area explosiveness.

Dennard led all Spartans with a 36-inch vertical -- Gilbert went 35 1/2 at the combine -- and his broad jump was 11-2 (Gilbert went 10-5 in Indianapolis). Only Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk had a broad jump of 11-2 of all players tested at the event.

Fit is of dire importance for Dennard, who needs to be in a scheme that emphasizes his physical brand of football and downplays the kind of freelancing that some scouts believe makes Gilbert more of a boom-or-bust prospect.

He could come off the board in the top 10 but isn't likely to slide below the middle of the round. Chicago -- especially if the Bears lose Pro Bowl veteran Charles Tillman in free agency -- could be a fit at No. 14. There might be no better match than the Pittsbugh Steelers at 15. Head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert represented the team in East Lansing Tuesday.

The Steelers are in need of young playmakers on defense -- especially those that come at a relatively cheap cost.

It could be hauntingly similar to 2007 for the Steelers, when Darrelle Revis went 14th to the New York Jets and Pittsburgh drafted linebacker Lawrence Timmons 15th.

Here's a tale of the tape for consideration:

Darrelle Revis (2007, 14): 6-0, 204, 4.35 (fastest verified time), 10-5 broad, 38-inch VJ
Patrick Peterson (2011, 5th pick): 6-0, 219, 4.31 (fastest verified), 10-6 broad, 36-inch VJ
Stephon Gilmore (2012, 10): 6-1, 190, 4.38 (fastest verified), 10-3 broad, 36-inch VJ
Darqueze Dennard (2014): 5-11, 199, 4.38 (fastest verified), 11-2 broad, 36-inch VJ

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24478213/pro-days-michigan-state-cb-dennard-shows-explosivness

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Darqueze Dennard – Corner – Michigan State – Dennard did not run at the MSU pro day, but he had a vertical jump of 36” and a long jump of 11’2”! He also had outstanding positional drill work.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Rising-stock-report.html

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: 7-Round Mock Draft

By Andrew Watkins , Featured Columnist Mar 20, 2014

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/588/460/hi-res-caee9396e1d0df3a119e243979842f64_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

Author’s Note: I’ve included compensatory third- and fifth-round selections in this mock draft. Those projections are per Philly.com’s Jimmy Kempski. Kempski does a wonderful job of explaining the logic behind why teams are awarded these compensatory picks.

Round 1: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

Ideally, this pick would be Justin Gilbert, who many see as the draft’s top cornerback. But with corner-needy teams like the Lions and Rams ahead of the Steelers, that doesn’t seem probable.

That being said, the Steelers couldn’t ask for a much better consolation prize than Michigan State’s Darqueze Dennard. Mike Mayock says that Dennard is the draft's best corner.

It’s no secret the Steelers are interested in getting younger and better in the secondary this offseason. The team added Mike Mitchell to replace Ryan Clark, and they were also briefly courting Alterraun Verner, according to ESPN's Scott Brown.

With Verner and most other starting-caliber corners off the market, Pittsburgh will likely look to the draft for Ike Taylor’s eventual replacement.

Dennard, one of the premier players on the Spartans’ great defense this past season, is known for his physical playing style. He also flashed solid ball skills, with at least three picks in each of his three seasons as a starter.

Round 2: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

Even before the departures of Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, it had long been rumored that the Steelers were in the market for a big wide receiver.

Allen Robinson, who virtually carried Penn State’s passing game for the past two seasons, fits the bill at 6’3”. Robinson was considered a fringe first-rounder but may have ran himself out of the first round after posting an unspectacular 4.60 40-yard dash.

That’s all the better for the Steelers.

Robinson tore up the Big Ten to the tune of 2,450 receiving yards and 17 scores over the past two seasons. And that was while catching passes from a walk-on in Matt McGloin and a freshman starter in Christian Hackenberg.

Just imagine what he could accomplish with Ben Roethlisberger.

Round 3 (Compensatory): Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State

After the cuts of LaMarr Woodley and Larry Foote, depth at the linebacker spot has become crucial to the Steelers.

With former sixth-rounder Vince Williams penciled in to start next to Lawrence Timmons, the team’s top reserves are Terence Garvin and Sean Spence.

Spence has yet to play an NFL down, and Garvin’s claim to fame is a monster block on a punter.

Christian Jones is one of the few incoming rookies who boasts the athleticism to be a true three-down linebacker. He’s also been lauded for his versatility, a trait that should be highly coveted by a team lacking depth and experience amongst its linebackers.

Round 4: Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama

Defensive line wasn’t considered a major need for the Steelers prior to the onset of free agency. But, with the departures of Ziggy Hood, Al Woods and the uncertainty regarding Brett Keisel, it’s certainly become one.

Ed Stinson won’t offer much as a pass rusher, but fortunately he won’t be expected to either. Where Stinson really shines is in run defense, an aspect of the Steelers’ game that fell off significantly in ’14.

Round 5: Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame

As previously mentioned, the Steelers are sorely hurting for linebacker depth. The most experienced backup at the outside ‘backer spot is Chris Carter. Carter’s yet to register a sack in three professional seasons.

Prince Shembo was inconsistent at times, but he also flashed the ability to be a quality pass-rusher at the next level. That much is evidenced by his 19.5 career sacks at Notre Dame, as well as his three games with multiple quarterback takedowns.

Round 5 (Compensatory): Storm Johnson, RB, UCF

It appears the Steelers finally found their workhorse in Le’Veon Bell during last year’s draft. However, with the suddenly alarming lack of depth in the backfield, the team will likely be targeting a back in this year’s draft as well.

Johnson was key to UFC’s surprising resurgence. In his lone year as a starter, he notched 17 total scores and also flashed some receiving ability with 30 receptions.

Round 6: Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas State

With the recent acquisition of Cam Thomas, the Steelers may feel comfortable at the nose tackle spot. However, if the team is considering a position switch for Steve McLendon, as ESPN’s Scott Brown suggests, that could change.

Even if McLendon stands pat, Pittsburgh has a need for large, able bodies along its defensive front. At 337 pounds and mighty strong to boot (32 reps on the bench press), Carrethers fits the bill.

Round 7: Wesley Johnson, OL, Vanderbilt

The Steelers have seen David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey succumb to debilitating injuries in successive seasons. As a result, they’ve surely realized that there’s no such thing as too many offensive linemen.

Wesley Johnson is durable, as proven by his Vanderbilt-record 51 starts. He’s also versatile, with experience at every position along the offensive line. Both qualities should appeal to the Steelers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2000527-pittsburgh-steelers-7-round-mock-draft/page/2

Slapstick
03-21-2014, 06:01 AM
That's a pretty fortuitous mock...

Shawn
03-21-2014, 07:34 AM
courting Alterraun Verner Anyone else laugh after reading that?

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Dennard is visiting with the Steelers today...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
this mock appears to be missing a pick... didn't we get 3? (one more in the 6th)

sick beats
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
With the Rams and Lions both in big need of a CB, and picking ahead of us, we might not even have a shot at Dennard.

hawaiiansteel
04-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Darqueze Dennard might slip out of top 20 of 2014 NFL Draft

By Bryan Fischer
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 10, 2014

If you happened to glance over NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock draft, you probably noticed that he has Blake Bortles to the Minnesota Vikings, Derek Carr to the Arizona Cardinals and Teddy Bridgewater to the Cleveland Browns among other selections.

What might have slipped under the radar was cornerback Darqueze Dennard slipping all the way down to 30th overall and the San Francisco 49ers. Considering Dennard is Jeremiah's second best corner in the draft and 20th overall player, it's a little interesting to see him barely making it in the first round.

As it turns out, Jeremiah might just be ahead of the curve as he's starting to hear that teams are liking other corners over the Michigan State product, including one in particular from the Big Ten.

"I think it's a real possibility (Dennard slips)," Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft". "You talk about Bradley Roby from Ohio State, watching him over the summer based on last year's tape, I thought he was outstanding. Maybe the most talented corner in the entire draft class. Now this year, didn't have as good a year and had a bad game against Wisconsin.

"This time of year, you're starting to hear his name move up the board."

It's not just Jeremiah that is high on Dennard's play either, as Dennard is fellow NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock's top corner in the draft. Some consider Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert as the guy likely to be drafted first at the position -- due in part to his return ability -- but who winds up as the second corner taken appears to be up in the air with Dennard's draft stock apparently down.

"Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech, a very physical player," Jeremiah said. "I think a lot of teams are saying Fuller vs. Dennard, and Fuller is getting the nod for some of them. He could slide down, it's a very real possibility."

Yet, again it seems we have a case of a player who everybody likes falling victim to those whose stock is on the rise late in the pre-draft process.

Dennard won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in college football to cap a stellar senior season in East Lansing. He's known for his press man coverage skills and being physical with opposing receivers. His fit in more zone coverage schemes has been question but he has done his best to alleviate those concerns during meetings with NFL teams prior to the draft.

There still could be a team, perhaps the Pittsburgh Steelers or Arizona Cardinals, who will be looking to take a corner like Dennard but for now the former Spartan's stock arrow is unfortunately pointed in the down direction.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340783/article/darqueze-dennard-might-slip-out-of-top-20-of-2014-nfl-draft