PDA

View Full Version : can JJ play ILB?

feltdizz
03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
serious question... with Worilds returning I wonder if this is an option?

steelz09
03-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Can he? Probably.. after a long transition time (i.e. Timmons)

Will he? No.

ILB in a 3-4 is a completely different animal.

sick beats
03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
He isn't nearly thick enough, as his body was last season, to play inside. You got to have some junk in the trunk, a little bit of a banger, like Timmons developed into. JJ just isn't thick enough.

phillyesq
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
If Woodley, Worilds and Jones all return (unlikely), I don't think that JJ gets moved inside. However, I can see Lebeau using a package that gets all three on the field in passing situations. He just started using a package like that last year when Woodley got hurt.

K Train
03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
He definitely can, I just hope he catches on as an OLB

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
If Woodley, Worilds and Jones all return (unlikely)

Woodley is as good as gone as soon as June 1st arrives...

phillyesq
03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Woodley is as good as gone as soon as June 1st arrives...

Most likely, yes, unless he agrees to a pay cut.

Oviedo
03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Can he? Probably.. after a long transition time (i.e. Timmons)

Will he? No.

ILB in a 3-4 is a completely different animal.

Timmons' transition was not as long as many want to characterize.

Oviedo
03-04-2014, 04:57 PM

Perhaps he should ask James Harrison about how not to make a stupid career decision! Or perhaps his ego will get in the way too.

Oviedo
03-04-2014, 04:58 PM
He isn't nearly thick enough, as his body was last season, to play inside. You got to have some junk in the trunk, a little bit of a banger, like Timmons developed into. JJ just isn't thick enough.

The problem is he is also not "thick enough" to beat NFL Left tackles

sick beats
03-04-2014, 05:51 PM

It would have to be a pretty big one, considering JW is slated to make $9 mill, and JJ is a relatively high first rounder. I don't think LW would agree to a low enough amount to stay on the team.

sick beats
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
The problem is he is also not "thick enough" to beat NFL Left tackles

That either. He will be bigger in 2014

Shawn
03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
I would rather move Woodley to ILB. He is big enough to be a traditional 3-4 thumper.

phillyesq
03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
It would have to be a pretty big one, considering JW is slated to make $9 mill, and JJ is a relatively high first rounder. I don't think LW would agree to a low enough amount to stay on the team.

I don't think that he will be back. But if he would agree to a cut of $3 million, bringing his base salary down to $5 million, I think both sides should consider it. From Woodley's perspective, I doubt he'd get that much as a free agent. From the perspective of the Steelers, they save $3 million on the cap this year, and can release Woodley much more easily next year, with less dead money.

Captain Lemming
03-04-2014, 08:41 PM
I would rather move Woodley to ILB. He is big enough to be a traditional 3-4 thumper.

That requires his being able to tackle runners, something he did little of at his old position. I would take old man JH back and put him in the middle before I put Woodley there.

Captain Lemming
03-04-2014, 08:43 PM
And anybody remember James Farrior? Dude weighed less than some safeties at times.

K Train
03-04-2014, 08:57 PM
That requires his being able to tackle runners, something he did little of at his old position. I would take old man JH back and put him in the middle before I put Woodley there.
Always thought harrison would be awesome in the middle...great in traffic and taking on blockers

K Train
03-04-2014, 08:58 PM
And anybody remember James Farrior? Dude weighed less than some safeties at times.

People get caught up in size too much...timmons was a small WILL backer and grew into a top 5 MLB. Spence was drafted as a MLB, i guess theres no hope for him

SteelBuckeye
03-04-2014, 11:29 PM

You realize that Jones' cap hit this year is less than $2 mill right? As Philly says, there is a way to keep Woodley even with Worilds getting paid.

I don't think that he will be back. But if he would agree to a cut of $3 million, bringing his base salary down to $5 million, I think both sides should consider it. From Woodley's perspective, I doubt he'd get that much as a free agent. From the perspective of the Steelers, they save $3 million on the cap this year, and can release Woodley much more easily next year, with less dead money.

But, like Philly, I don't think Woodley stays because I don't think he takes the pay cut AND demotion. He's in a different situation than Harrison in that he's still young enough and his skills, when healthy have not declined. I think Woodley rolls the dice and hopes that some team looks past his injury history, only pays attention to his past productivity and pays him starter money.

NJ-STEELER
03-04-2014, 11:32 PM
timmons and worldis are the highest drafted players on the team other then ben

i cant think of a bigger waste of assets then putting them at ILB together