PDA

View Full Version : I am already tired of this Gay movement and Sports

legend of polamalu
02-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with it...Seinfeld

Actually there is something wrong with the act of homosexuality if you believe the Bible which America and our Gov't has seem to forgotten. But I don't want to go there. I don't care that Michael Sam wants to play football...he should. I hope he gets drafted (not by us) and has a great career. I am also glad to see that AZ Governor vetoed a bill that would prevent certain businesses to refuse service to Gays. Unless they are acting out their lifestyle in your establishment then they should have the right to eat and shop wherever they want to.
You see it is their action that is repulsive not them. So let them live their lives and lets cover sports and not their lifestyle. I have my own sins...I don't want them on live tv.
When I turn on SP Center I want to see sports not some idiot reporter comparing the black movement or a culture with the sin of homosexuality. MLK was a great man who would be ashamed if his name and movement was being compared with the Gay culture. Being gay is not a race, culture, ethnicity or so on. I am not being racial if I don't agree with homosexuality...that is the dumbest most ignorant thing I have ever heard of.
Anyways, I seemed to of voiced my opinion more than I wanted but the point is... to lets cover the NFL Draft, The Super Bowl, The 214 NFL Season, The Brooklyn Nets....NOT having 15 minute discussions on SC about if M. Sam is going to be treated differently by his teammates. NOT the Nets signing the first open gay man in the NBA. NOT M. Sams every moment at the combine not because he is a top pick but because he is gay.
I AM SICK OF IT ALREADY...Please make it all go away. But sadly it will not.,, it will only get worse as society loses its morals and seems to not only celebrating a sinful lifestyle but throwing them a parade.

Slapstick
02-27-2014, 10:44 PM

Actually there is something wrong with the act of homosexuality if you believe the Bible which America and our Gov't has seem to forgotten. But I don't want to go there. I don't care that Michael Sam wants to play football...he should. I hope he gets drafted (not by us) and has a great career. I am also glad to see that AZ Governor vetoed a bill that would prevent certain businesses to refuse service to Gays. Unless they are acting out their lifestyle in your establishment then they should have the right to eat and shop wherever they want to.
You see it is their action that is repulsive not them. So let them live their lives and lets cover sports and not their lifestyle. I have my own sins...I don't want them on live tv.
When I turn on SP Center I want to see sports not some idiot reporter comparing the black movement or a culture with the sin of homosexuality. MLK was a great man who would be ashamed if his name and movement was being compared with the Gay culture. Being gay is not a race, culture, ethnicity or so on. I am not being racial if I don't agree with homosexuality...that is the dumbest most ignorant thing I have ever heard of.
Anyways, I seemed to of voiced my opinion more than I wanted but the point is... to lets cover the NFL Draft, The Super Bowl, The 214 NFL Season, The Brooklyn Nets....NOT having 15 minute discussions on SC about if M. Sam is going to be treated differently by his teammates. NOT the Nets signing the first open gay man in the NBA. NOT M. Sams every moment at the combine not because he is a top pick but because he is gay.
I AM SICK OF IT ALREADY...Please make it all go away. But sadly it will not.,, it will only get worse as society loses its morals and seems to not only celebrating a sinful lifestyle but throwing them a parade.

"Who am I to judge them (homosexuals) if they're seeking the Lord in good faith?"

Who are any of us to judge?

flippy
02-27-2014, 11:00 PM
If people can't be gay because of your religion, then no one can eat pizza anymore because of my diet.

SS Laser
02-27-2014, 11:06 PM
If people can't be gay because of your religion, then no one can eat pizza anymore because of my diet. Yea that sounds good. And because my diet is different then yours no pop allowed ever again. And my diet is better then your diet Sir Flip. :)

legend of polamalu
02-28-2014, 12:10 AM
The difference is there is many pizza joints, thousands of drinks, many different diets...but only one God and one Bible. ONE STANDARD by the way things are to be done.
That is also great if homosexuals are seeking the Lord but eventually if they find Him the lifestyle will have to end. They will want it to end themselves after finding true meaning.

SS Laser
02-28-2014, 12:25 AM
The difference is there is many pizza joints, thousands of drinks, many different diets...but only one God and one Bible. ONE STANDARD by the way things are to be done.
That is also great if homosexuals are seeking the Lord but eventually if they find Him the lifestyle will have to end. They will want it to end themselves after finding true meaning. Well there are many different religions. And I am sorry you feel that being gay is a choice that can be made. Sorry but I can not change my mind from liking women or nor would I want to even for God. How about you?

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2014, 12:48 AM
That is also great if homosexuals are seeking the Lord but eventually if they find Him the lifestyle will have to end. They will want it to end themselves after finding true meaning.

wrong forum...

legend of polamalu
02-28-2014, 01:08 AM
Well there are many different religions. And I am sorry you feel that being gay is a choice that can be made. Sorry but I can not change my mind from liking women or nor would I want to even for God. How about you?

There are many different false religions. You are right. But again only one Bible, one standard and one God and His Son Jesus Christ. And God would never want you to change your mind about liking woman...It is how He created it to be. A woman for a man. Just like religion we have change it to what feels right or to each his own.
Go and see The Son of God this weekend. It is a powerful movie...It is about a super hero who changed water into wine, raised the dead, turned a few pieces of fish into thousands to feed the hungry and a hero who made Adam to procreate with Eve. Not with Steve. See that could not of happened seeing that man can't get pregnant with another man.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-28-2014, 01:16 AM
not what I come here for

legend of polamalu
02-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Didn't want to go this far into this...Just love sports and it seems they are taking extreme measure to discuss homosexuality on every network possible. Homosexuality and football seem like the last 2 things in the world that should be mixing. I don't tune to sportscenter to see that...that to me is the wrong forum. Yet it outweighs any true sporting event.

focosteeler
02-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Actually there is something wrong with the act of homosexuality if you believe the Bible which America and our Gov't has seem to forgotten.

The US does have freedom of religion and no official government religion. It's outlawed in the 1st amendment. We weren't created to be a Christian nation, even though some of the Founding Fathers were Christians. Thomas Jefferson said there needed to be a "wall of separation between church and state". People can believe and practice whatever they want. Doesn't matter who you are, what you believe, you are guaranteed your rights. Any type of discrimination is unconstitutional, even discrimination on religious grounds.

When I turn on SP Center I want to see sports not some idiot reporter comparing the black movement or a culture with the sin of homosexuality. MLK was a great man who would be ashamed if his name and movement was being compared with the Gay culture. Being gay is not a race, culture, ethnicity or so on.

The second people start reacting negatively towards a group if people, by leveling hate speech or removing them from restaurants and other places because of who they are this turns into a civil rights issue. Though MLK was a Christian minister, from what I understand he didn’t take a literal reading of the Bible that condemns homosexuality. King’s vision of a Community, his biblical based vision of humanity transcending its racial and religious differences expanded people’s rights. It did not restrict them.

That being said, I do wish they would stop talking about it so much. I am happy for Michael Sam, I'm glad he can be out in the open, I just wish they would give it a rest. Talk about Michael Sam the football player. But I can promise you one thing. If Jackie Robinson was becoming the first black professional baseball player today, it would be talked about just as much...Probably more so.

Sooo ok now let's get back to steelers football! :tt1

flippy
02-28-2014, 01:42 AM

My diet allows for no pizza. There's no difference. Religion is a spiritual diet. Some people need it but others don't cause they're already spiritually skinny. To each his own.

You take the Bible literally, but most don't. Either is fine. IMHO if you start thinking about how the Bible applies to someone other than yourself, you've missed the whole point of the Bible narrative.

legend of polamalu
02-28-2014, 02:10 AM
My diet allows for no pizza. There's no difference. Religion is a spiritual diet. Some people need it but others don't cause they're already spiritually skinny. To each his own.

You take the Bible literally, but most don't. Either is fine. IMHO if you start thinking about how the Bible applies to someone other than yourself, you've missed the whole point of the Bible narrative.

So I guess you don't believe in God? I would be wondering a lot on how this world came into existence.

Discipline of Steel
02-28-2014, 04:39 AM
Ill give you credit for calling out SC...it is downright annoying. You know what...I don't follow sports for human interest stories.

Shawn
02-28-2014, 08:51 AM
That is also great if homosexuals are seeking the Lord but eventually if they find Him the lifestyle will have to end. They will want it to end themselves after finding true meaning. I was really hoping this post would just go away. I started to write last night because wow a sports message board is not the place for this. Let me ask you something. Have you really researched what you believe? Or are you using the Bible to validate hate? The fact is this...the Bible doesn't address a life long commitment between two men. The Bible does address pagan religious practices which involved homosexual sex with young boys. The Bible also addresses in Leviticus men with men...but it also tells you how to cook your of steak...how to cut your hair...and many other rules Christians to this day ignore. Why do they ignore them? Because those rules were meant to carve out a people (the Jewish nation) thousands of years ago. Some today wouldn't even make sense to follow because technology advanced and the rule is no longer needed to keep people safe. The fact is this...the Bible is clear sleeping around (homosexual or heterosexual) is not what God wants for us for many reasons...but all of them to protect us. Sex outside a lifetime commitment carries risks of STDs, and emotional harm. But, the Bible never mentions two men wanting commit their lives to each other, and serve God. So, who are you to say they can't, shouldn't, or are not capable? Who are you to rob them of rights of equality? The job of a Christian isn't to point out the sins in peoples lives (much to many Christians chagrin). Their job as spoken of by Jesus, is to love them as they love themselves. Is that what you are doing with this post? Loving your neighbor? I would welcome any gay man or woman into our church. I would go out of my way to do so. Why? Because gay men and women need God too, and its not my job to say they can't worship. Its my job to love and accept them. If God wants to work on other things with them...well I'll leave that up to God.

Djfan
02-28-2014, 09:06 AM
I just want to go to sports stuff to ignore the stupid stuff going on in the world of news. It's a form of hiding from it all. I agree. Keep gays, communism, Obamacare, etc. out of sports. I hate it.

The Man of Steel
02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
The media has been very patronizing about the whole openly gay athletes in sports thing. Comes off more as white heterosexual guilt than anything else.

feltdizz
02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
I was really hoping this post would just go away. I started to write last night because wow a sports message board is not the place for this. Let me ask you something. Have you really researched what you believe? Or are you using the Bible to validate hate? The fact is this...the Bible doesn't address a life long commitment between two men. The Bible does address pagan religious practices which involved homosexual sex with young boys. The Bible also addresses in Leviticus men with men...but it also tells you how to cook your of steak...how to cut your hair...and many other rules Christians to this day ignore. Why do they ignore them? Because those rules were meant to carve out a people (the Jewish nation) thousands of years ago. Some today wouldn't even make sense to follow because technology advanced and the rule is no longer needed to keep people safe. The fact is this...the Bible is clear sleeping around (homosexual or heterosexual) is not what God wants for us for many reasons...but all of them to protect us. Sex outside a lifetime commitment carries risks of STDs, and emotional harm. But, the Bible never mentions two men wanting commit their lives to each other, and serve God. So, who are you to say they can't, shouldn't, or are not capable? Who are you to rob them of rights of equality? The job of a Christian isn't to point out the sins in peoples lives (much to many Christians chagrin). Their job as spoken of by Jesus, is to love them as they love themselves. Is that what you are doing with this post? Loving your neighbor? I would welcome any gay man or woman into our church. I would go out of my way to do so. Why? Because gay men and women need God too, and its not my job to say they can't worship. Its my job to love and accept them. If God wants to work on other things with them...well I'll leave that up to God.

great post...

Unfortunately the Bible is used to kill, hate, separate and bash more than it is to love, forgive and bring people together. People hide behind that book to do justify their vile ways.

steelblood
02-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Legend says ... "There is only one God and one Bible" & "Homosexuality and football seem like the last 2 things in the world that should be mixing"

But, Christians can't even agree on the right version of the Bible. And, the Bible is full of inaccuracies and politically motivated slants on stories. It is written by men, translated by men. Humans are not infallible. To literally interpret the whole of the Bible is simply short-sighted. Most ministers and priests concede this.

Finally, do you think Jesus would turn his back on homosexuals or even sit in judgement of them? That is not the Jesus of which I read. The idea that christianity is the only religion that has it correct is simply closed-minded and (in my opinion) not what Jesus would have approved of. Take Communion, for example. Do you think Jesus would have wanted Catholics excluding other Christians from Communion because they are not Catholic? That is ludicrous and the exact opposite of the spirit of the first communion.

Religion is a wonderful and powerful thing. I believe in it. But, I also know that man is inherently self-interested. We struggle against this every day. Jesus taught us not to judge and to accept everyone (even if we find their choices unsavory). To be totally selfless, we must lose this notion that we know what is right and open our minds and our hearts to all. This is the peaceful and beautiful message of Jesus, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, and the Dalai Lama. When religious institutions lead us toward judgmental and hateful stances, they are forsaking these figures and what they stand for.

legend of polamalu
02-28-2014, 10:08 AM
I was really hoping this post would just go away. I started to write last night because wow a sports message board is not the place for this. Let me ask you something. Have you really researched what you believe? Or are you using the Bible to validate hate? The fact is this...the Bible doesn't address a life long commitment between two men. The Bible does address pagan religious practices which involved homosexual sex with young boys. The Bible also addresses in Leviticus men with men...but it also tells you how to cook your of steak...how to cut your hair...and many other rules Christians to this day ignore. Why do they ignore them? Because those rules were meant to carve out a people (the Jewish nation) thousands of years ago. Some today wouldn't even make sense to follow because technology advanced and the rule is no longer needed to keep people safe. The fact is this...the Bible is clear sleeping around (homosexual or heterosexual) is not what God wants for us for many reasons...but all of them to protect us. Sex outside a lifetime commitment carries risks of STDs, and emotional harm. But, the Bible never mentions two men wanting commit their lives to each other, and serve God. So, who are you to say they can't, shouldn't, or are not capable? Who are you to rob them of rights of equality? The job of a Christian isn't to point out the sins in peoples lives (much to many Christians chagrin). Their job as spoken of by Jesus, is to love them as they love themselves. Is that what you are doing with this post? Loving your neighbor? I would welcome any gay man or woman into our church. I would go out of my way to do so. Why? Because gay men and women need God too, and its not my job to say they can't worship. Its my job to love and accept them. If God wants to work on other things with them...well I'll leave that up to God.
ulsi
I never said or will ever say I hate these people,,, if anything I mentioned that it is their lifestyle that is repulsive. Many gay men and woman who struggle with this come to know God and renounce their past behavior.
As far as the Bible it does talk about this...
Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."1
•Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"
•1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
•Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

Homosexuality is clearly condemned in the Bible. It undermines the basis of God's created order where God made Adam, a man, and Eve, a woman -- not two men, not two women -- to carry out his command to fill and subdue the earth (Gen. 1:28). Homosexuality cannot carry out that command. It also undermines the basic family unit of husband and wife, the God-ordained means of procreation.

legend of polamalu
02-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Legend says ... "There is only one God and one Bible" & "Homosexuality and football seem like the last 2 things in the world that should be mixing"

But, Christians can't even agree on the right version of the Bible. And, the Bible is full of inaccuracies and politically motivated slants on stories. It is written by men, translated by men. Humans are not infallible. To literally interpret the whole of the Bible is simply short-sighted. Most ministers and priests concede this.

Finally, do you think Jesus would turn his back on homosexuals or even sit in judgement of them? That is not the Jesus of which I read. The idea that christianity is the only religion that has it correct is simply closed-minded and (in my opinion) not what Jesus would have approved of. Take Communion, for example. Do you think Jesus would have wanted Catholics excluding other Christians from Communion because they are not Catholic? That is ludicrous and the exact opposite of the spirit of the first communion.

Religion is a wonderful and powerful thing. I believe in it. But, I also know that man is inherently self-interested. We struggle against this every day. Jesus taught us not to judge and to accept everyone (even if we find their choices unsavory). To be totally selfless, we must lose this notion that we know what is right and open our minds and our hearts to all. This is the peaceful and beautiful message of Jesus, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, and the Dalai Lama. When religious institutions lead us toward judgmental and hateful stances, they are forsaking these figures and what they stand for.

The Bible was breathed into man, inspired by God himself. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. It goes back to my point of if it feels right then it must be ok...to each his own. Love is the motive but it is also a book of warning.
It's not the person I will judge...I am speaking against the act...something I have stated a million times. God will be the judge.

steelblood
02-28-2014, 10:28 AM
The Bible was breathed into man, inspired by God himself. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. It goes back to my point of if it feels right then it must be ok...to each his own. Love is the motive but it is also a book of warning.
It's not the person I will judge...I am speaking against the act...something I have stated a million times. God will be the judge.

Quoting one Bible passage is a dangerous and slippery undertaking. Look at the Mormons. They are christians who believe(d) that man could take many wives based on what they read in the Bible.

"God will be the judge," not you.

And yet, you do judge. So, do religious leaders. They judge every day. Many christian groups and leaders have agendas full of hate. This is not what Jesus taught us.

I studied theology with Jesuit priests and Protestant Ministers. I walked away with just as many questions as answers. And, I'm ok with that. that is the struggle of life. There is much gray in this world. We need to approach things we don't understand or don't necessarily find correct with an open mind and a kind heart. That is the only way to live a righteous life.

D Rock
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Why does it even matter what the Bible says?

This is about sports and media coverage.

Get over yourself. Your religion (and mine too!) does not determine what others should do or believe, or put on tv. If you don't like it, turn it off.

feltdizz
02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Take this crap to another forum...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-28-2014, 11:16 AM
You take the Bible literally, but most don't.
What you said, Flip.... It was written by a bunch of dudes, in may cases, they were ordered by their respective govornments. So, you can't take it literally.

Example: Did you guys know that King James' bible was "translated" by the best writers of his time, including William Shakespeare. Quick story on that. He secretly snuck his name into the bible. He was 46 at the time he was working on his part. Psalms 46 - 46th word from the beginning.."shake". 46th word from the end.."spear".

When you come across stuff like that, it's difficult to take it literally.

flippy
02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
So I guess you don't believe in God? I would be wondering a lot on how this world came into existence.

Everybody wonders that. It's human nature. What I believe and what you believe are irrelevant in the grand scheme. We all believe different stuff. I guess my point was why hold someone else to the standard you create for yourself? Why not just live your own life and let others live theirs?

Maybe Jesus said it more clearly than I could..."Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Just cause I need to eat less donuts doesn't mean everyone else does too. We should all be able to freely choose how many donuts are right for us. There wouldn't be all this discussion right now about gay athletes if the world wasn't filled with people who cared how many donuts other people eat.

Another way to look at this is if you tell a skinny man who doesn't eat donuts that he's gonna die from eating donuts, you're wasting your breath.

steelblood
02-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Everybody wonders that. It's human nature. What I believe and what you believe are irrelevant in the grand scheme. We all believe different stuff. I guess my point was why hold someone else to the standard you create for yourself? Why not just live your own life and let others live theirs?

Maybe Jesus said it more clearly than I could..."Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Just cause I need to eat less donuts doesn't mean everyone else does too. We should all be able to freely choose how many donuts are right for us. There wouldn't be all this discussion right now about gay athletes if the world wasn't filled with people who cared how many donuts other people eat.

Another way to look at this is if you tell a skinny man who doesn't eat donuts that he's gonna die from eating donuts, you're wasting your breath.

Flippy,

I challenge you to only respond to posts using doughnut analogies for one week. I really enjoy your doughnut obsession for some reason, entertaining stuff.

Also, I may have to go to the bakery in the morning. Doughnuts sound great!

flippy
02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Flippy,

I challenge you to only respond to posts using doughnut analogies for one week. I really enjoy your doughnut obsession for some reason, entertaining stuff.

Also, I may have to go to the bakery in the morning. Doughnuts sound great!

If I keep talking in donut, we're all gonna end up needing a diet. I'm getting seriously hungry over here. LOL

Shawn
02-28-2014, 02:32 PM
ulsi
I never said or will ever say I hate these people,,, if anything I mentioned that it is their lifestyle that is repulsive. Many gay men and woman who struggle with this come to know God and renounce their past behavior.
As far as the Bible it does talk about this...
Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."1
•Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"
•1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
•Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

Homosexuality is clearly condemned in the Bible. It undermines the basis of God's created order where God made Adam, a man, and Eve, a woman -- not two men, not two women -- to carry out his command to fill and subdue the earth (Gen. 1:28). Homosexuality cannot carry out that command. It also undermines the basic family unit of husband and wife, the God-ordained means of procreation.

Already addressed in my post...Leviticus and Paul speaking about the pagan raping of young boys by men in pagan worship. First, using Leviticus as a weapon against a group of people is not only short sighted but it's ignorant.

Do you violate some of the other rules of Leviticus?

Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)
Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)
Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed. (Leviticus 20:9)

What about eating pork? You like bacon?

If you look at a verse without historical context, without proper translation you are looking at it in ignorance. The fact is this God was carving out a people who were his in a very hostile and violent world. He wanted them to multiply. He wanted them to have safe food practices. He wanted them to deal with death and sickness in sterile ways. All the rules that God applied to an ancient people in a violent world were to make them either unique, prosperous and/or safe. Many do not apply to Gentiles...which I assume you are. And certainly many do not apply to modern day New Covenant peoples. When is the last time you sacrificed an animal for your sins? Things changed, and so did the rules when God wrote his rules onto men's hearts.

As for what Paul was speaking about...do a search. There is plenty of information out there on the historical context Paul was speaking about. But, he certainly wasn't speaking about men in a life long commitment to each other. He was speaking of the rape of young boys while worshipping a pagan god.

If two men or women want to commit their lives to each other and to God...then I will welcome them into our church. I will love them like I love everyone else. If God wants to change them, or work on them about their sexual preferences...well that is his prerogative. But, it's not my job. Nor is it yours.

Shawn
02-28-2014, 02:38 PM
What you said, Flip.... It was written by a bunch of dudes, in may cases, they were ordered by their respective govornments. So, you can't take it literally.

Example: Did you guys know that King James' bible was "translated" by the best writers of his time, including William Shakespeare. Quick story on that. He secretly snuck his name into the bible. He was 46 at the time he was working on his part. Psalms 46 - 46th word from the beginning.."shake". 46th word from the end.."spear".

When you come across stuff like that, it's difficult to take it literally.

The Bible wasn't written by guys commanded to by government. That is false. But, Emperor Justinian did have an influence over the translations which effected some modern day doctrine specifically in regards to eternal punishment. It's why it's so important for believers to do research on not only the historical context but the original languages.

Shawn
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Quoting one Bible passage is a dangerous and slippery undertaking. Look at the Mormons. They are christians who believe(d) that man could take many wives based on what they read in the Bible.

"God will be the judge," not you.

And yet, you do judge. So, do religious leaders. They judge every day. Many christian groups and leaders have agendas full of hate. This is not what Jesus taught us.

I studied theology with Jesuit priests and Protestant Ministers. I walked away with just as many questions as answers. And, I'm ok with that. that is the struggle of life. There is much gray in this world. We need to approach things we don't understand or don't necessarily find correct with an open mind and a kind heart. That is the only way to live a righteous life.

Good post.

Shawn
02-28-2014, 02:41 PM

Correctly translated and properly interpreted through an accurate historical lens.

Shawn
02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
great post...

Unfortunately the Bible is used to kill, hate, separate and bash more than it is to love, forgive and bring people together. People hide behind that book to do justify their vile ways.

Things of God have been used by men for centuries to validate violence, slavery, bigotry, hate etc. It's why Jesus was upset with the religious men of that day. They used the Scriptures to enslave people...not to free them.

Eich
02-28-2014, 04:04 PM
That is also great if homosexuals are seeking the Lord but eventually if they find Him the lifestyle will have to end. I find statements like this ridiculous, uneducated, hilarious, sad and illogical, all at the same time. How on earth can any sane, "intelligent" being think for a moment that being gay is a lifestyle choice? Do you really think that people just DECIDE to be attracted to someone of the same sex anymore than a heterosexual "decides" to be attracted to the opposite sex? You're made the way you're made and you have no more say in it than you do the color of your eyes. It's possible to be forced into doing something you don't want because of religious or peer pressure but deep down, you're wired to be attracted to what you're attracted to and no one should judge anyone for that. I would have more respect for people who think that a gay person has something medically wrong with them than I have for people who think that gay people are just "sinners".

SteelerOfDeVille
02-28-2014, 04:11 PM
The Bible wasn't written by guys commanded to by government. That is false. But, Emperor Justinian did have an influence over the translations which effected some modern day doctrine specifically in regards to eternal punishment. It's why it's so important for believers to do research on not only the historical context but the original languages.
i got ahead of myself... not "written" but, "translated"... as i correctly said in the KJ version example...

birtikidis
02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
I believe in God. I don't believe in the bible.

snarky
03-10-2014, 10:45 AM

First prove to me that the god you believe in is real and the only true god. After that, you can start telling me and everybody else how he wants us to live our lives.

birtikidis
03-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Actually there are many gods and many bibles. There are, and there have been, so many religions that to say that there is ONE STANDARD is ludicrous. Alot of the mythology of the bible comes from Mythologies that predate even written language. Hell Hindus alone have more than one God. Just because you believe in only one God, doesn't make you right. Many people have died because of that kind of arrogance.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png

"Who am I to judge them (homosexuals) if they're seeking the Lord in good faith?"

I just can't get over the Pope posting on this forum...

birtikidis
05-11-2014, 11:36 AM
So am I the only one that thinks that ESPN over did the Sam footage of when he actually got drafted? We usually don't see straight dudes kiss there girl as much as we saw in that instance.

Mr.wizard
05-13-2014, 06:35 PM

You know what I am sick of? Bible thumpers who want to tell people how to live their lives! Im a straight guy and I would much rather see people free to be exactly who they are rather then seeing people live under the oppression of your fake sky daddy and his book of fairytales. I love how bible thumpers always equate acceptance and tolerance with a loss of morals, its ridiculous.

skyhawk
05-13-2014, 11:58 PM
+1 Mr. Wizard!

It's the ick factor. Plain and simple.

The OP is repulsed and looks for anything to help justify his discomfort.

I am repulsed by people drinking V8 juice or a bloody Mary. I mean, really, what kind of LIFESTYLE is that? I am also repulsed by the lack of human compassion and empathy (the worst sins in the history of the planet). I quickly get over myself and move on.

Furthermore, it is because of people like you that this even has to be a discussion. The oppression, murder, bullying, etc of minorities for hundreds of years REQUIRES that this kind of thing has to be talked about. It's about F'in time to have a civilized and coherent discussion based in reality.

Ghost
05-14-2014, 08:21 AM
I love my dead gay son.

sick beats
06-07-2014, 01:37 PM
If people can't be gay because of your religion, then no one can eat pizza anymore because of my diet.

Good one. That is as reasonable. Only difference is people think their religion is the ONE right way, determined by God. So that means it is THE final say. It makes people insane.

sick beats
06-07-2014, 01:44 PM
So am I the only one that thinks that ESPN over did the Sam footage of when he actually got drafted? We usually don't see straight dudes kiss there girl as much as we saw in that instance.

Yea, that was my thought. The phrase "get a room" applies to everyone. If straight people aren't having sexual kisses on air then neither should gays. If you not hurting anyone and it's a consensual act behind closed doors, knock your socks off; I really don't care at all. But don't shove it in our faces.