PDA

View Full Version : Louis Delmas visits Steelers

Ernie
02-17-2014, 07:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326227/article/exlions-db-louis-delmas-visiting-pittsburgh-steelers

D Rock
02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
I imagine they would have to cut Levi Brown and Ike Taylor just to make room for this to happen. IMO - probably worth it if they grab a 1st round CB to fill out the top 3 with Gay and Cortez for next year.

Rara
02-17-2014, 10:25 PM
I sure the heck hope they sign Louis Delmas...I was really hoping that he would have dropped to us in the 2nd in the 2009 draft...Lions got him at #33. He would be a good upgrade over Clark (even though he is an impending free agent) and is a hard hitter. The only thing that scares me about him is his past for injuries. On the bright side, he played 16 games this past season. Sign me up for getting Delmas!

Something tells me that this was probably for just a medical checkup reasoning though.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm afraid this visit is more about appeasing the fans than anything, to make it look as though the team is doing something to address its needs. The reason I say that is because unless and until we cut some big salaried players, we don't have the cap room to make Delmas a reasonable offer.

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette:

RT "@Aknotts66: @EdBouchette what do you think of Louis Delmas visiting?"

Due dilegence, but has bad knee

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2014, 11:11 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

No doubt Steelers prefer to not have rookie playing FS next yr. Free agent would allow them to focus on CB early in draft instead.

Just wrote about the Steelers' problem at free safety today bc of all the SSs they have. To that end they checked Louis Delmas' knee today.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2014, 12:06 AM
pretty poor planning at the FS position.

could have least taken a flyer on a guy like phillip thomas or baccarri rambo

D Rock
02-18-2014, 12:53 AM
I'll take a one year prove it contract, something to get us through to next year.

Rara
02-18-2014, 01:29 AM
I agree...sign him for a year and try him out...then extend him if he earned it. It'd be stupid to pass up a guy like this, to be honest.

Rod Polamalu
02-18-2014, 02:56 AM
If his knee is good to go,....Delmas gives us at least a 30% increase in terms of productivity at the the FS position. Clark is a stand up guy, smart and cagey but well below average in terms of his on field ability.

I'd still draft the Bucannon kid as i have very little faith in Sharmarko. Not to say that he cannot play ball,...just sick of us drafting as though we are Tony Dungy's Colts units. That is not the personnel that fits what we all hold dear as Steeler Ball.

Ernie
02-18-2014, 07:14 AM
I imagine they would have to cut Levi Brown and Ike Taylor just to make room for this to happen. IMO - probably worth it if they grab a 1st round CB to fill out the top 3 with Gay and Cortez for next year.

I like your thinking. Maybe try to re-sign Brown on a 1 year deal at a basement price.

K Train
02-18-2014, 09:20 AM
If brown comes back it will be for the vet min and not a dollar more, and its a move I would really like (espcially to push foster at guard)

I would like Ike back at a discounted rate, hes not going to cash in anywhere else...hes still a good player and working him in as a FS or CB is a good move

Oviedo
02-18-2014, 11:03 AM
I wonder if this means that the decision has been made to cut Taylor to clear cap space? I know he is close to the Rooney's but he needs to play for about $3M if he stays. He is no longer worth the $8M plus he is on the books for.

Missing on Curtis Brown has really hurt us. I have to admit I saw that one wrong. he looked real good in college and I thought they got a good player. Maybe it is just the curse of Texas players.

K Train
02-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I thought Curtis as going to be awesome...those 3 texas DBs all looked good that year. Still have a little hope for a keenan lewis like turn around

steelz09
02-18-2014, 12:07 PM
I wonder if this means that the decision has been made to cut Taylor to clear cap space? I know he is close to the Rooney's but he needs to play for about $3M if he stays. He is no longer worth the $8M plus he is on the books for.

Missing on Curtis Brown has really hurt us. I have to admit I saw that one wrong. he looked real good in college and I thought they got a good player. Maybe it is just the curse of Texas players.

How did Earl Thomas avoid the so called "Texas curse"?

steelz09
02-18-2014, 12:15 PM
If his knee is good to go,....Delmas gives us at least a 30% increase in terms of productivity at the the FS position. Clark is a stand up guy, smart and cagey but well below average in terms of his on field ability.

I'd still draft the Bucannon kid as i have very little faith in Sharmarko. Not to say that he cannot play ball,...just sick of us drafting as though we are Tony Dungy's Colts units. That is not the personnel that fits what we all hold dear as Steeler Ball.

Interesting... you don't have faith in Sharmko as the future SS? Why not?

I would agree if you said FS. Shamarko was never an option at FS no matter what some others have said. That would be like having Ray Rice playing FS. I would actually sacrifice a bit of speed to have a bit more size in the secondary (i.e. Seattle).

K Train
02-18-2014, 12:39 PM
How did Earl Thomas avoid the so called "Texas curse"?
Seems to be our curse with texas players lately...hills, sweed, brown. Not all longhorns

Interesting... you don't have faith in Sharmko as the future SS? Why not?

I would agree if you said FS. Shamarko was never an option at FS no matter what some others have said. That would be like having Ray Rice playing FS. I would actually sacrifice a bit of speed to have a bit more size in the secondary (i.e. Seattle).
Shamarko is a perfect fit for an in the box SS

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Louis 'Da Missile' Delmas was the emotional leader for the Lions

By Neal Coolong on Feb 17 2014

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/28771867/183447422.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers reportedly met with Delmas Monday, presumably out of mutual interest in his services in the Steelers' defensive secondary for the 2014 season. It'd be a key acquisition, considering the Steelers' lack of depth at their safety positions.

"Delmas was the emotional leader of the Lions' defense, and he was nicknamed 'Da Missile' in Detroit for a reason," Yuille said. "He's a big hitter, and he typically tries to take opponents down by flying at them instead of wrapping up for a form tackle. This aggressive style can make him a great playmaker at times, but it can also lead to some serious negatives (massive coverage breakdowns, accidentally taking out teammates with whiffed hits, etc.)."

Some call those things negatives. Some call them Steelers football. Somewhere between there is a lot of what the Steelers have been missing the last three years - big lumber coming downhill from the secondary. Perhaps it's not a coincidence the amount of fines issued to the Steelers' defensive backs has dropped quite a bit since 2010, and so have the amount of fumbles they've forced. Delmas's aggressive and physical style could help create more of those takeaways.

And more injuries, too. One thing to be said about Ryan Clark, the Steelers' starting free safety since 2007, is he's been healthy, outside a freak incident in which he was diagnosed with a rare blood condition. Clark spent most of the 2007 season recovering from an injury in the high altitudes in Denver.

Delmas has a checkered injury past, and that as much as anything else led to his release in Detroit. Yuille agreed with that, and in a situation very similar to what Pittsburgh is facing with outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, it's the negative risk-reward ratio he carries, considering his contract.

Yuille says Delmas was not one of his favorite players and was "happy to see him released." In the end, price became an issue.

"Delmas' release strictly came down to the fact that he was set to get $6 million this year," Yuille said. "His production level in 2013 didn't warrant that kind of a cap hit, especially since injuries are always going to be a concern with him.

"The Lions gave him an incentive-laden contract last year, and 2013 was the first time he ever played in all 16 games in a season. That only happened because the Lions carefully managed his practice schedule in order to make sure his bad knees didn't keep him out of game action."

If that's the case, the Steelers are an ideal match for Delmas. This is a team that has taken care of veteran players. Former wide receiver Hines Ward didn't practice on Wednesday for the last three years of his career. Troy Polamalu missed practice due to a defect of his birth certificate, as coach Mike Tomlin so eloquently said it last year. If Delmas would be willing to accept less money for the obvious risk the Steelers would have to take with him, it could work out well for both sides.

Yuille sees the reality in the situation though. Often injured can't be considered to contribute fully to the team.

"The Lions reportedly want Delmas back on a more affordable contract, so clearly they like the kind of player he is," Yuille said. "However, between the constant injury risk and his inconsistent nature, I personally want them to go in a different direction. If I were a Steelers fan and they end up signing Delmas, I'd be rooting for a short-term, incentive-laden deal with very little guaranteed money in it."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-steelers-free-agency/2014/2/17/5420458/steelers-louis-delmas-free-agency-lions-released-salary-cap

thor75
02-18-2014, 10:28 PM
I still think Chris Clemons out of Miami would be the better FA signing. He's 28 yo, good at the pass and the run. Signed a one-year deal with the Dolphins last year at 2.75mil.

Ran a 4.4 at the 2009 combine. In five years, has played 11, 15, 14, 16, and 16 games. I'd take Clemons over Delmas anyday.

Dee Dub
02-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Delmas would be an upgrade but a true centerfielder (ball hawk), who also is a free agent is Jairus Byrd. But this is a pipedream.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Delmas would be an upgrade but a true centerfielder (ball hawk), who also is a free agent is Jairus Byrd. But this is a pipedream.

I'm on board with that Dub. I would also consider Malcolm Jenkins if we are gonna spend some money.

Delmas just reeks of "Steeler FA signing" if healthy. Mid to low contract value at FS...In prime age of career....Cut from previous team that won't impact comp picks...Change of scenery guy. AB & him have a friendly relationship going back to HS. I like a young vet in FA to pair with Troy. If they could get a FS with some range to play CF...Troy can still do what he does in base. They won't have to address S early with Shark behind Troy. Now the draft stats to take shape.

K Train
02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Byrd would be AMAZING. It is a pipe dream, but man if there is someone to clean house a little to get it would be him

Ernie
03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Any update on Lewis Delmas?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Byrd would be AMAZING. It is a pipe dream, but man if there is someone to clean house a little to get it would be him

Byrd just supposedly turned down a deal that would make him the highest paid safety in the league for a portion of the deal. The report also states that the Bills are unlikely to franchise him. Somehow I don't see him then coming to Pittsburgh for what the team could or would pay him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330181/article/jairus-byrd-unlikely-to-get-tagged-by-buffalo-bills

Shawn
03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Byrd just supposedly turned down a deal that would make him the highest paid safety in the league for a portion of the deal. The report also states that the Bills are unlikely to franchise him. Somehow I don't see him then coming to Pittsburgh for what the team could or would pay him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330181/article/jairus-byrd-unlikely-to-get-tagged-by-buffalo-bills

How much would he cost the Steelers? I mean, it would be worth cutting Troy and Ike to make it happen.

phillyesq
03-03-2014, 12:25 PM

I could see Byrd joining his old coach in Cleveland, with the Browns making a huge overpay - something like 5 years, 55 million. He will then go on to never be heard from again after multiple staph infections.

phillyesq
03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
How much would he cost the Steelers? I mean, it would be worth cutting Troy and Ike to make it happen.

Based on what he turned down, in excess of $10 million per year.

Shawn
03-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Ugh...yeah that won't happen.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Ugh...yeah that won't happen.

Sure, but let us play "what if?"

Byrd goes to FA and calls Mikey T, and says "I've always wanted to play under Coach Lebeau. I will sign a one year, $8.25M contract to make it happen - no other way."

As it so happens, the cap space saved by cutting Troy P is exactly $8.25M for 2014, so he is definitely gone. Do you sign Byrd and cut Troy? Do the Steelers?

I would, but don't think the Steelers would.

sick beats
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm afraid this visit is more about appeasing the fans than anything, to make it look as though the team is doing something to address its needs. The reason I say that is because unless and until we cut some big salaried players, we don't have the cap room to make Delmas a reasonable offer.

Thank you, BHD. The Rooneys constantly do this: bring in players they KNOW full well they can't afford, but to make Joe Six Pack think they are doing their best to field the best team they possibly can. Just look at some of the FAs they had come in for a visit over the years; they came and went, with no chance of an offer and promptly got signed by a team that was serious about adding some free agents.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Louis Delmas, Miami Dolphins strike one-year contract

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: March 10, 2014

Released by the Detroit Lions last month, safety Louis Delmas is following the "prove-it" route that ultimately paid off for Brent Grimes and Michael Bennett after they settled for one-year contracts last offseason.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, via a person informed of the move, that the Miami Dolphins are signing Delmas to a one-year contract worth up to $3.5 million. The team later confirmed the news.

Delmas started 16 games last season as a high-level safety, but his market was depressed by concerns over nagging knee injuries that forced him to miss 13 games across 2011 and 2012.

The 26-year-old visited the Steelers and Saints late last month and reportedly drew interest from the Falcons and Broncos before signing with Miami.

Now that Delmas is under contract, the Dolphins will no longer be in the chase for Jairus Byrd.

It also signals the end of free safety Chris Clemons' run with the team. Clemons is ranked 70th on Around The League's list of the top 101 free agents.

If Delmas' knees cooperate, this is a win-win scenario. The Dolphins get an upgrade next to Reshad Jones, and Delmas gets a chance to stabilize his value for another run at free agency in 2015.

Expected to reel in left tackle Branden Albert as perhaps free agency's biggest fish, new Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey has only just begun his offseason haul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332582/article/louis-delmas-miami-dolphins-strike-oneyear-contract

thor75
03-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Good news, Chris Clemons can now set his sights on the B&G.

K Train
03-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Nice read on Delmas signing if anyone is interested

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/14/louis-delmas-mulls-dolphins-free-agency-offer/

Oviedo
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Good news, Chris Clemons can now set his sights on the B&G.

Why do we need another Safety when we have Mitchell, Allen, Thomas, Golden and Troy? Our limited free agent dollars would be better spend at other positions like NT or OLB.

How about something worthwhile like resigning Cotchery.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Why do we need another Safety when we have Mitchell, Allen, Thomas, Golden and Troy? Our limited free agent dollars would be better spend at other positions like NT or OLB.

How about something worthwhile like resigning Cotchery.

Thor posted that about Clemons on the morning the 11th. Free agency business opened at 4:00 p.m. that day. Mitchell wasn't a Steeler yet when that post was written.